PDA

View Full Version : So Strongmen...

Vrotsos991
09-06-12, 12:32 pm
How do you guys train compared to a powerlifter? Do you guysjust include an event day? Been reading up on it a little bit, but was curious how the animals here do it.

Aggression
09-06-12, 1:11 pm
Ask HIGA MONSTER or P Diesel. They're both strongmen. I know Higa doesn't regularly bench press b/c it doesn't really correlate to strongman events. However, both of the guys mentioned are strongmen that have/will compete in powerlifting meets, so I'm assuming the actual weight lifting aspect isn't much different in terms of what's done in the gym.

Vrotsos991
09-06-12, 2:24 pm
I was assuming the same. I read that they train like a powerlifter but also do event training days.

I should of included in my topic was:
How did they get started in the sport.
How do the train for the sport.
Advice for entering the sport
When to know your ready for your first event

P Diesel
09-07-12, 12:07 am
A, thanks for drawin my attention to this thread.

how did i get started in strongman?
played football since i could walk, had a decent amount of success through college and for a short time after. when i wasnt playing any more i was left with the decision of bodybuilder, powerlifter or strongman. i was mostly athletic, not tremendously large, and just decently strong. but i had watched it since i knew how to work the tv remote and w football behind me, strongman it was.

strongman wasnt all that popular in my area when i got started, and knew no one that competed. heard about a hole in the wall gym with sum tires so went to check it out. heard about a local contest and signed up.

the first thing u wanna do is get on the NAS website (North American Strongman), that is the amateur association. kinda like the NPC is to the IFBB. they will have every rule, record, entry forms and event nation wide.

training?
i think i am the exception in the strongman world, i came up on my own, training, travel, etc. i woudl suggest finding a base camp, a strongman/powerlifting gym u can train out of. like minded dudes u can learn from. haha it takes a long time to learn on ur own, trial and error, not to mention i found all my own equipment (beg, borrow and steal)

i used to hound the dudes at the michelin factory to throw a tire my way, i woudl stop on the side of the road and scoop a tractor tire if i saw one, the ppl at the junk yard knew me by name.

i made my own atlas stones in my parents basement when they were on vacation at 19. the first real piece i bought myself was an axle, then shortly after a draft harness.

it may not b a gym u find, maybe a few dudes that train in a basement or garage.

advice?
be honest with yourself and know the kind of lifter u are. look at HIGA and i for instance, could not b more opposite except for our rugged good looks. knowing urself and ur strengths and weaknesses will change ur training and u as an athlete. be relentless, know there is always sumone training harder then u. the sport is ever changing. it is a marathon not a sprint, this is sumthin that can b life long. rome wasnt built in a day, but it was fuckin built!!

first contest?
get out there and do one bro! u are onyl gna get better once u get ur hands on the apparatus'. enter the novice of an event without too many eccentric events and have at it.

P

braves561
09-07-12, 1:21 pm
strongmen training looks like so much fun. its gotta be BRUTAL though.

Kowboy
09-07-12, 2:06 pm
Hey man, good post. Caught my eye as well. I am no where near the level of Higa or P but I switched to strongman about 6 or 7 weeks ago. I did the 531 thing and powerlifting for a year or so and for me it got really boring. I have no intrest really in to doing a powerlifting meet. I was always an athlete and played several sports, was always quick for my size. I finally had some extra cash and started my search for a gym, found one here that has a few items that I can use for strongman (log, 2 stones, tires, farmers walk handles) and at fist I tried to train w/ the events mixed throughout the week and only went 4 days a week. Higa told me no bench press or biceps but I currently bench every other week just because I want to get on the top 10 board at my gym. I am doing biceps to just strengthen them to help with the log and some events. That leads to me now.

Now I just got hooked up with a new group last week and I will be doing event training with them on Saturday mornings. It is at 7am and I really hate getting up that early but it is what I have to do. These dudes are insane, one of hte guys zach gallman has a press at or above 400lbs and just being around that really pushes me. I want to do an event but as of right now w/ building a house I can't afford it and I dont really see any close to home. I may get invited to one in the fall that my gym participates in which would be awesome. I am learning a lot and really realized my diet sucked and I am cleaning that up. I may have to up my calories as i cannot seem to stay full. Since I moved my event training my split is now like this:

Monday OHP, Snatch and assitance work
Tuesday Deadlifts, Power Cleans and assistance work
WEDS OFF
Thursday Squats and leg assistance work
Friday Bench, Biceps and anything I missed
Saturday Event Training

Kowboy
09-07-12, 2:06 pm
strongmen training looks like so much fun. its gotta be BRUTAL though.

It is a blast, it puts you in check real quick. I have realized I am slow as fuck and a weakling in my weight class.

Vrotsos991
09-07-12, 3:59 pm
A, thanks for drawin my attention to this thread.

how did i get started in strongman?
played football since i could walk, had a decent amount of success through college and for a short time after. when i wasnt playing any more i was left with the decision of bodybuilder, powerlifter or strongman. i was mostly athletic, not tremendously large, and just decently strong. but i had watched it since i knew how to work the tv remote and w football behind me, strongman it was.

strongman wasnt all that popular in my area when i got started, and knew no one that competed. heard about a hole in the wall gym with sum tires so went to check it out. heard about a local contest and signed up.

the first thing u wanna do is get on the NAS website (North American Strongman), that is the amateur association. kinda like the NPC is to the IFBB. they will have every rule, record, entry forms and event nation wide.

training?
i think i am the exception in the strongman world, i came up on my own, training, travel, etc. i woudl suggest finding a base camp, a strongman/powerlifting gym u can train out of. like minded dudes u can learn from. haha it takes a long time to learn on ur own, trial and error, not to mention i found all my own equipment (beg, borrow and steal)

i used to hound the dudes at the michelin factory to throw a tire my way, i woudl stop on the side of the road and scoop a tractor tire if i saw one, the ppl at the junk yard knew me by name.

i made my own atlas stones in my parents basement when they were on vacation at 19. the first real piece i bought myself was an axle, then shortly after a draft harness.

it may not b a gym u find, maybe a few dudes that train in a basement or garage.

advice?
be honest with yourself and know the kind of lifter u are. look at HIGA and i for instance, could not b more opposite except for our rugged good looks. knowing urself and ur strengths and weaknesses will change ur training and u as an athlete. be relentless, know there is always sumone training harder then u. the sport is ever changing. it is a marathon not a sprint, this is sumthin that can b life long. rome wasnt built in a day, but it was fuckin built!!

first contest?
get out there and do one bro! u are onyl gna get better once u get ur hands on the apparatus'. enter the novice of an event without too many eccentric events and have at it.

P

P

Thanks for the input! That was a awesome reply. I am going to see if I can find a group near Akron Ohio that does event training. Im going to begin calling around and see if I can get ahold of old tires and kegs and keep going from there. I appreciate the input and you lit a fire under my ass thats for sure!

P Diesel
09-07-12, 10:44 pm
P

Thanks for the input! That was a awesome reply. I am going to see if I can find a group near Akron Ohio that does event training. Im going to begin calling around and see if I can get ahold of old tires and kegs and keep going from there. I appreciate the input and you lit a fire under my ass thats for sure!

always brotha, this is what its about and why the forvm works. keep me posted and let me know how ur makin out. if i end up out ur way we can schedule some trainin.

P

HIGA MONSTER
09-09-12, 10:15 am
How do you guys train compared to a powerlifter? Do you guysjust include an event day? Been reading up on it a little bit, but was curious how the animals here do it.
Whats up bro?

I pretty much stick to my bread & butter lifts such as Squats, Deadlifts, Snatches, Power Cleans & Overhead presses.
Event days are done once or twice a week.

The thing you have to remember is that you need to train more like Circuit Training. I can't do a set, wait 10 mins and then do another.
I am quickly moving my ass to lift heavy in a short amount of time. That way, when you go to a contest that is moving fast, you are used to the short time periods where you have to lift in a strongman contest.

Stick with it man...looking forward to your progress.
HIGA MONSTER

Vrotsos991
09-10-12, 9:05 am
Whats up bro?

I pretty much stick to my bread & butter lifts such as Squats, Deadlifts, Snatches, Power Cleans & Overhead presses.
Event days are done once or twice a week.

The thing you have to remember is that you need to train more like Circuit Training. I can't do a set, wait 10 mins and then do another.
I am quickly moving my ass to lift heavy in a short amount of time. That way, when you go to a contest that is moving fast, you are used to the short time periods where you have to lift in a strongman contest.

Stick with it man...looking forward to your progress.
HIGA MONSTER

Thanks man. Appreciate the feedback. I am on the hunt for finding some equipment to use for event days. Trying to get my hands on a few tires and kegs. Then hopfully an axle in the next month!

HIGA MONSTER
09-11-12, 1:43 am
Thanks man. Appreciate the feedback. I am on the hunt for finding some equipment to use for event days. Trying to get my hands on a few tires and kegs. Then hopfully an axle in the next month!
Tire companies will give you a tire if they can't sell it used...it costs them money to dispose of it thats why.

Kegs are hard to get for free nowadays...crackheads up here in WA would collect broken kegs and then scrap them for money to pay for their habits.

Good luck!
HIGA MONSTER

P Diesel
09-11-12, 11:00 am
while HIGA's town is full of keg stealing fiends, i know around here if u got o a beer distributor and ask they may have one w a broken tap connection or sumthin. they let me have a few for $15 a piece years ago.

oh, if u ahve a friend that welds, make him ur new best friend

P

HIGA MONSTER
09-11-12, 12:12 pm
while HIGA's town is full of keg stealing fiends..

P
Why you gotta clown Sea-town?

Like there is no shenanigans going on in the Ill-adelphia area? Lmao

GUNS
09-11-12, 12:19 pm
OP, also, look into Shukin's thread. He is just beginning his life as a strongman and is working towards his first event. A must follow thread for you. He has met up with Higa and has started making and buying his own equipment. Making some serious progress and will be a big motivator for you! http://forum.animalpak.com/showthread.php?33038-A-Journey-Through-The-Eye-Of-The-Needle

Big Wides
09-11-12, 12:19 pm
Why you gotta clown Sea-town?

Like there is no shenanigans going on in the Ill-adelphia area? Lmao

Philadelphia is a nice quaint little town....so I don't know what these shenanigans your talking about

Now if your talking about P Diesel shenanigans, that's part of a different forum

HIGA MONSTER
09-11-12, 12:26 pm
Philadelphia is a nice quaint little town....so I don't know what these shenanigans your talking about

Now if your talking about P Diesel shenanigans, that's part of a different forum
Wasn't this the town that booed Santa Claus in a NFL game years ago?

Or cheered loudly when Troy Aikman was knocked outta a game due to concussion?

LOL

Altered Beast
09-11-12, 12:40 pm

Powerlifting and Strongman are completely different sports. Strongman is more along the lines of a strength/cardio sport. Endurance and different energy systems in the body are trained and used for it. They train for "events" and there are MANY of them! You train a far more range of lifts and conditioning movements.

Powerlifting is a pure strength sport focusing on the three basic, fully body foundational Power Lifts: The Squat, Bench and Deadlift. Sounds simple, but it's tough as hell and very difficult to get those three lifts to constantly increase for each competition year after year.

*Both sports do train for strength, speed/explosiveness, conditioning, mobility and flexibility. Don't listen to the hearsay and bullshit people spout. If you were to get a World Record Holding Powerlifting and a World's Strongest Man Competitor together, you will find far more similarities than differences.

**Vrotsos, I highly recommend you follow the logs of HIGA MONSTER, P Diesel, Shukin, Trebin and any other Strongmen that are on this FORVM. It's always good to get a variety of input as everyone has something that can be implemented toward your training. NEVER stick to a single source of information.

GET SOME,

ALTERED BEAST

Altered Beast
09-11-12, 12:40 pm
On a personal note, I've been hassling our groups of amateur Strongmen at my gym to put together some Atlas Stone stands. I've always wanted to work with stones as it would build the hell out of my back and deadlift. The idea of picking up stones and placing them somewhere seems very manly and I want in! HIGA, you should have seen the faces of those guys when I told them that =)

HIGA MONSTER
09-12-12, 11:42 am
On a personal note, I've been hassling our groups of amateur Strongmen at my gym to put together some Atlas Stone stands. I've always wanted to work with stones as it would build the hell out of my back and deadlift. The idea of picking up stones and placing them somewhere seems very manly and I want in! HIGA, you should have seen the faces of those guys when I told them that =)
"sound of HIGA falling backwards on his living room floor..."

Altered Beast
09-12-12, 11:55 am
"sound of HIGA falling backwards on his living room floor..."

LOL! I know right?

I'm starting to open my mind a bit, NOT TO CROSSFIT, but to some Strongman implements as we do have tons of Strongman equipment available at my gym.

I recently read an article in Power Magazine by Derek Poundstone that really opened my eyes. I'll be carrying a Sandbag followed by Dragging a sled in the coming workouts! We have some Sandbags, I'm just not sure of the weight.

*Poundstone says Powerlifters can benefit from Yoke Walks, Carry & Drags and Farmer's Walks. I was kind of sad when he didn't mention Stones but HEY! I'll mix them in there =)

Big Wides
09-12-12, 12:25 pm
Wasn't this the town that booed Santa Claus in a NFL game years ago?

Or cheered loudly when Troy Aikman was knocked outta a game due to concussion?

LOL

yes we booed and threw snowballs at Santa and it was Michael Irving that we cheered for when he got hurt....so it looks like Higa caught us red handed. It must be something with the tap water out here that drives us nuts

Vrotsos991
09-12-12, 2:44 pm
What implements do you guys think i should be collecting first? (what are the most essential?)

HIGA MONSTER
09-12-12, 5:13 pm
What implements do you guys think i should be collecting first? (what are the most essential?)
A used tire...not too heavy. Probably around 500 lbs top.
Log or Axle for overhead, but you can also do some SDL's or Deadlifts with the Axle to improve grip.
And some Farmers Walk handles.

HIGA MONSTER

Vrotsos991
06-02-13, 6:47 pm
Bringing this one back to life again. Getting a little bored with the 531 and have a event in august planned. Any suggestions on how to prepare for this. I see that higga put in some info on snatches and olympic lifts. Higga, P, or any other strongmen out there could you help me put together a weekly plan. I move to portland and have yet to find a strongman gym. Any suggestions for a routine?

World Eater
06-03-13, 11:55 am
Bringing this one back to life again. Getting a little bored with the 531 and have a event in august planned. Any suggestions on how to prepare for this. I see that higga put in some info on snatches and olympic lifts. Higga, P, or any other strongmen out there could you help me put together a weekly plan. I move to portland and have yet to find a strongman gym. Any suggestions for a routine?
I'm not a strongman but this sounded nice. http://articles.elitefts.com/training-articles/kentucky-strong-531-for-strongman/

STRONGmanmike
06-05-13, 11:21 am
do you know what the events are for the contest yet? im not familiar with the washington area but i know ive seen some of the Lift Big Eat Big guys training up there so i would get in touch with them and see what gyms have strongman equipment.

Vrotsos991
06-05-13, 12:42 pm
http://www.nastrongman.com/pdf/2013/strongman2013_Oregon%20State.pdf

STRONGmanmike
06-05-13, 2:11 pm
im not a rep for the cube but if i were i would go ahead and get The Cube Method for Strongman by Josh Thigpen. they have on the JTS website. if your not familiar with the cube it was created by Brandon Lilly. i trained with a pro strongman for six months and after being on the cube for only 5 weeks i am blowing all my past lifts out of the water. for the price its a damn good deal too. its probably one of the only strongman programs that i have actually seen besides getting custom programming from actual strongman athletes. good luck brother!