PDA

View Full Version : Godsey Got Goals

GODSEY
09-10-12, 3:50 pm
So after lurking around for several years I think it may be time to start a Journey thread. I am hoping it will add a bit more accountability to what I am doing and if I get some tips and encouragement along the way that would be a good thing as well. For me lifting has always been a solitary activity for the most part, simply finding and coordinating someone to partner with, that shares my goals, and is roughly my height has always been a challenge I have decided not to fool with, although some day it could be beneficial. Online, the forum in particular, has filled that gap for many years, and meeting up with fellow animals last weekend made me think staying in touch on the world wide web could be fun and beneficial.

I have been lifting since HS, back when I played basketball. I loved what it did to transform my body (I was 6’3” and 180lbs), and in college loved to lift more than playing intramurals. Actually hurt my knee in college, tore up my ACL and a bunch of other stuff and finally had surgery about 8-9 years ago. While I have a nice new ACL since then, they took out most of the cartilage in my knee. Due to that, legs are the only thing that I physically have to be careful with, despite wanting to kill it on leg day, I suppose walking around someday would be a good thing, haha. I started back lifting seriously about 5-6 years ago, I have lost count somewhat, but I do remember it being the start of lifting both smart AND hard, and it’s when I found deadlifts and squats, something I think separate the hardcore lifters from the non-committal ones.

Where I am right now in my journey is an ok place. I am sitting at 235lbs, after losing about 15lbs since last January. I am happy with my lifts which I consider ok to moderate, but really would like to start reaching for some PRs and see what I could do. I typically have a 5 day split, but sort of feel like I have been coasting for a while. If I could put on some more muscle it would be cool, but staying injury free has always been a really important thing for me so trumps that. I really want to focus on just pushing some heavier weight and seeing how my body responds. I just have to be careful as I gain weight pretty easy, and lose it not so much...

Today (Due to the ABC event back soreness) I am going to be working chest and core, instead of the usual shoulder day. It is international bench day so hopefully it will be ok, usually I try to avoid any chest on the first two days of the week. I will post my work out later…

Christman
09-10-12, 4:28 pm
Looking forward to following this and perhaps someday meeting you at an ABC, seems like we might have a lot in common. Unfortunatly I was not able to make it down to the ABC over the weekend due to other obligations, but it seems like everyone had a great time (as usual).

tark
09-10-12, 9:33 pm
count me in on this one man.....hell i know you got it in ya man to start hitting some of those pr's.......and like i said in my thread maybe we will have to figure out something and ill start coming down certain weekends and getting some training in with you cincy guys....could be beneficial to all of us!!

GODSEY
09-11-12, 9:49 am
Looking forward to following this and perhaps someday meeting you at an ABC, seems like we might have a lot in common. Unfortunatly I was not able to make it down to the ABC over the weekend due to other obligations, but it seems like everyone had a great time (as usual).

I hear that, look forward to meeting and lifting with you!

count me in on this one man.....hell i know you got it in ya man to start hitting some of those pr's.......and like i said in my thread maybe we will have to figure out something and ill start coming down certain weekends and getting some training in with you cincy guys....could be beneficial to all of us!!

Thanks man, this past weekend made me realize how much I think I have been just coasting along for the last few months. It doesnt help working out at a "fitness" gym where I sort of feel like apologizing after doing deadlifts, haha. Getting my head focused to try and push some more weight than Ive been comfortable with.

GODSEY
09-11-12, 9:52 am
Bit of a somber day being September 11, but sometimes that’s good.

Got caught up in watching the Bengals loss at a friend’s house, so didn’t get to post my workout from yesterday. Went something like this…

Hitting chest and some core – have had a funny shoulder hitch for a few months now, some pain while certain presses, so have been doing some other types of chest exercises besides just flat and incline bench, sort of letting it heal.
Smith incline bench 2 warmup sets with 135 and 165, then 205x8, 205x8, 185x8
Flat BB bench – 185x6, 205x5, 185x6, 185x3 – I haven’t don’t flat in a few weeks and I felt week as hell, sort of frustrating
Seated pec deck – 150x10, 170x10, 190x10
Cable Crossovers – 60sx8, 70sx8, 50sx10
High low woodchopper– 10 twists and 7 each side with 45plate, 10 twists and 7 each side with 45plate
DB oblique (suitcase lift?) 10 each side with 70, 10 each side with 80
Incline machine press – 140x8, 180x6, 140x8
Some crunches…about 35...till I started cramping up

Overall felt good, I was very frustrated with my compound lifts, I want to get back to my old bench weight and reps, and drop this should injury or whatever it is. The isolation work felt great though, and overall I had a huge pump at the end. My chest is a little sore today, usually its not so I think I pushed it pretty good. Not even going to mention diet right now. I try to keep it anywhere from 2200 to 3000 cals a day, a preworkout sup and a shake after lifting. I am kind of seeing how my body responds to this week of heavy lifting and adjust my intake to match my needs.

Today is leg day, so will post what’s up later on. Also, do to work I will be probably traveling a couple weeks a month in the future, mainly in the Akron/Cleveland area for now. If anyone could possibly throw out a good gym (that does a day pass) I would be much obliged...

GODSEY
09-12-12, 9:09 am
Did some legs yesterday.

Leg ext warmups with 85x40 2x then a few working sets...195x12 205x10 180x15 180x15
Step ups 90x12 90x12 100x14
Squats- warmups with 135- 225x6 285x6 285x6 225x8
Leg press-360x10 450x8 540x7
Walking Lunges 20db x16, 20db x16
Leg press calf extensions- 270x33 270x40 270x 33
Seated calf raises - 95x15 140x10 140x7

Was the first day back doing squats in a while. Kind of like chest, felt pretty weak on the compounds, better on the iso stuff. Am already pretty sore today so was happy with how things went. I will be working to get my squats and leg press up to past numbers (knee willing) but felt this was a solid start. I had a wicked pump after the leg extensions, that was fun... Shoulders and traps today, will post later...

GODSEY
09-12-12, 5:42 pm
Hit shoulders today, that funny hitch in my left shoulder wasnt bothering me much at all, so that was good. Did a little shock therapy in grape.

Smith overhead press- 2 warmup sets with 75x12, then 105x10, 155x8, 155x8, 175x8, 105x7
BB shrug - 225x10, 275x10, 315x8, 315x8, 225x10 - it appears I have lost my straps so was focusing a little more on grip than traps
DB seated overhead press - 70sx8, 70sx8, 65x8, 50x8 - struggled a little with these today, those 50s felt like 90s at the end
BB upright row - 115x10, 115x10, 95x12 - tried to use a medium grip for these
Reverse pec deck fly - 90x14, 100x12, 90x12
Standing cable shrug - 170x10, 170x10, 170x10 - tried to get a good pause at the top of these
Seated lateral raise - 30sx10, 30sx10, 30x12 - last few I did standing
Machine overhead press - 160x10, 200x10, 220x5 - finish it up with these to get a good pump

I think next week I am going to try overhead press standing to get more stabalizers working. Washed it all down with a shake, 10 minutes in the steam room and I am done for the day. Pork chops for dinner, brown rice and veggies...

tark
09-13-12, 5:03 pm
your last couple training days have looked pretty good!... how are squats for you since your taller? do you have any trouble with them?

GODSEY
09-14-12, 2:52 pm
Had a good “vanity” day yesterday as I like to call it. Did arms and calves…

Dumbbell Curls – warm-ups, then 50x10, 55x9, 55x8, 45x8
Smith close grip bench – 165x10, 205x8, 205x8, 105x8 – used a little incline here, had a little different feel to it
Machine leg press calf extensions – 305x25, 305x25, 255x25, 255x25
Cable preacher curls 90x10, 100x8, 100x8 superset with Overhead cable extension 80x10, 100x8, 90x10
Seated calf raises – 115x33, 115x33, 115x20 superset with Seated BB forearm curls – barX30, barx30, barX30
Cable pressdowns – 60x10, 75x10, 75x10
Hammer Curls – 45x10, 45x10, 45x10

Had a nice pump at the end, could have probably just stopped after forearm curls and skipped the last two stations, but I like a lot of volume on arm day. Gonna take a rest day today and finish up with back tomorrow morning before the Tennessee/Florida game. Go Vols!

GODSEY
09-14-12, 2:59 pm
your last couple training days have looked pretty good!... how are squats for you since your taller? do you have any trouble with them?

Thanks man, gonna try to keep this intensity for as long as possible. Squats basically suck. The thing they say about long limbs really does feel like you are lifting the weight further than other guys, but it may just be all in my head. I genetically just have long skinny legs, and as much as I work on them there's not too much difference. Even when I used to push more weight on squats and leg press I didnt really get any mass, just more strength, haha. I got up to 315 for reps at one point but it will take a bit to get up there again. We should train legs one weekend...

GODSEY
09-15-12, 11:14 pm
Did a little back day this morning.

Warm up for deads with 135 and 225, then 315x8, 315x8, 315x8, and 365x6
Superset pullups 10, 9, 9 with kneeling cable pressdowns 65x10, 65x10, and 65x10
DB row 85x10, 95x8, and 100x8
Wide grip pulldown 180x8, 150x10
V grip pulldown 120x10 and 120x10
Seated machine row 270x8, 270x8, and 270x8

A little less volume than normal, but I was trying to focus on deads this workout...

Gonna be out of town next week so think I have found a gym close to our hotel. I will try and hit it up at least 3 days and finish things up on Saturday. Give it a 4 day split and rest the arms. Sometimes i feel that doing an arm day overworks my elbows and wrists, so have them rest next week. My wife was working out this morning in the same area and insisted on a photo....

http://i46.tinypic.com/30hwlz7.jpg

Cellardweller
09-16-12, 4:14 pm
Looking good in here. I wouldn't worry about those numbers, they'll come back to you. Especially with you putting the work in like you are.

GODSEY
09-19-12, 2:25 pm
Looking good in here. I wouldn't worry about those numbers, they'll come back to you. Especially with you putting the work in like you are.

Thanks man, I appreciate it. I am hoping some of the muscle memory kicks in soon if I keep hitting these hard workouts...

GODSEY
09-19-12, 2:49 pm
I am on the road this week, so found a local gym to visit. Had the pleasure of hitting up Powerhouse Gym in North Canton yesterday for a little shoulder workout. Did some seated overhead BB behind the head, shrug machine, DB overhead seated press, reverse pec deck fly, seated lateral raises, cable facepulls, and machine overhead press. Got a good pump, was happy. There were some monsters at this place, first time in a while I felt like a peewee, sort of funny. Going back tonight for a leg workout hopefully….

tark
09-19-12, 7:38 pm
I am on the road this week, so found a local gym to visit. Had the pleasure of hitting up Powerhouse Gym in North Canton yesterday for a little shoulder workout. Did some seated overhead BB behind the head, shrug machine, DB overhead seated press, reverse pec deck fly, seated lateral raises, cable facepulls, and machine overhead press. Got a good pump, was happy. There were some monsters at this place, first time in a while I felt like a peewee, sort of funny. Going back tonight for a leg workout hopefully….

nice aaron...on the road and still getting your training in! looks like a pretty good shoulder day to me and its always nice to have some monsters around....kinda gives you that extra little push/motivation to do one more rep!

Christman
09-19-12, 9:31 pm
It can be hard to find the motivation or the time to hit the gym while on the road, let alone a decent place to go. Keep it up.

GODSEY
09-20-12, 10:55 am
nice aaron...on the road and still getting your training in! looks like a pretty good shoulder day to me and its always nice to have some monsters around....kinda gives you that extra little push/motivation to do one more rep!

It can be hard to find the motivation or the time to hit the gym while on the road, let alone a decent place to go. Keep it up.

Thanks guys, it was a really nice gym to hit up. You're right Domichi, I had to do a little research to finally find this place. The first place I tried to go actually had the door locked and no one around (at 5pm too, wtf?). If I can lift I feel that all is right in the world, so definitely try to get it in. Had the pleasure of revisiting Powerhouse gym again last night for a little leg action. I love the complete NOOB feeling of standing in the middle of a gym trying to spot the next piece of equipment as well as making sure no one is using it, haha, but whatever. I was able to get some leg extensions, leg press, BB squats, seated and standing calf raises, hack squats, and hamstring curls in. Had a really nice pump at the end, luckily not cramping up. It was somewhat satisfactory to get back to decent weight (for me) with legs. BB squats got up to 285x6 and leg press was 540x8... Overall very happy with this place. Still feel like a shrimp, haha, but you're right Tark, it does help to have some big boys around for that extra motivation. Gonna try to hit some chest and core today, maybe a little tris as well, we'll see...

Kowboy
09-21-12, 10:02 am
Sorry I just got subbed in to this, trying to get caught up lol. Looks like you are still killing it man.

tark
09-21-12, 1:14 pm
Thanks guys, it was a really nice gym to hit up. You're right Domichi, I had to do a little research to finally find this place. The first place I tried to go actually had the door locked and no one around (at 5pm too, wtf?). If I can lift I feel that all is right in the world, so definitely try to get it in. Had the pleasure of revisiting Powerhouse gym again last night for a little leg action. I love the complete NOOB feeling of standing in the middle of a gym trying to spot the next piece of equipment as well as making sure no one is using it, haha, but whatever. I was able to get some leg extensions, leg press, BB squats, seated and standing calf raises, hack squats, and hamstring curls in. Had a really nice pump at the end, luckily not cramping up. It was somewhat satisfactory to get back to decent weight (for me) with legs. BB squats got up to 285x6 and leg press was 540x8... Overall very happy with this place. Still feel like a shrimp, haha, but you're right Tark, it does help to have some big boys around for that extra motivation. Gonna try to hit some chest and core today, maybe a little tris as well, we'll see...

285 is pretty good still man...it just takes time to get where you were ya know....but im with ya...when i dont get some training in i either feel like shit, feel worthless, or feel lost haha

GODSEY
09-21-12, 3:37 pm
Sorry I just got subbed in to this, trying to get caught up lol. Looks like you are still killing it man.

Thanks, that means a lot. All you can do is take one day at a time, give it your all...

GODSEY
09-21-12, 3:41 pm
Did a little chest last night. Flat bench, incline on the smith machine, seated pec dec, incline db fly, and also hit some tris with cgb, v-bar pushdown, and skullcrushers. Had to back off the weight with tris a little due to being worn out from chest but had a nice swole at the end. I was pretty happy, my right shoulder is feeling pretty strong again, so I was able to get up to 245x6 on flat bench without any pain. Heading back to Cincy tonight, hope to finish the week off with a little back and bis tomorrow back my home gym. Powerhouse was pretty nice, but its also good when you know where everything is...

Looking forward to a little normalcy...

GODSEY
09-25-12, 7:53 pm
So on the road again for a little this week. Fortunately I was able to get a solid shoulder/trap workout yesterday so it doesn't seem so bad. There was a little sad thing called a fitness center at the hotel tonight. Did a little arms, got a solid pump, but it was just weird... Gotta skip tomorrow due to working all day and 4 hours of traveling but hope to salvage the rest of the week Thursday thru Saturday...

Christman
09-26-12, 8:18 am
So on the road again for a little this week. Fortunately I was able to get a solid shoulder/trap workout yesterday so it doesn't seem so bad. There was a little sad thing called a fitness center at the hotel tonight. Did a little arms, got a solid pump, but it was just weird... Gotta skip tomorrow due to working all day and 4 hours of traveling but hope to salvage the rest of the week Thursday thru Saturday...

I have a feeling that I am going to run into things like this when I start to travel here soon. I'm going to have to check out what each hotel calls a 'fitness center' which will prolly be 2 treadmills, DB's that go up to 25 lbs, and one multi-purpose machine just for a good chuckle and then go out into the wild to find a real gym. I should know where I will be going far enough in advance to be able to scout out some prime locations on the internet so I know where to go.

Work with what you have and get your work in.

GODSEY
09-26-12, 11:01 am
I have a feeling that I am going to run into things like this when I start to travel here soon. I'm going to have to check out what each hotel calls a 'fitness center' which will prolly be 2 treadmills, DB's that go up to 25 lbs, and one multi-purpose machine just for a good chuckle and then go out into the wild to find a real gym. I should know where I will be going far enough in advance to be able to scout out some prime locations on the internet so I know where to go.

Work with what you have and get your work in.

I hear that. If I am staying somewhere more than a few nights I do a little research to find a real gym nearby, and luckily I work with some nice people that know I need to lift, so are cool about planning dinner later or whatnot so I can lift. One thing to say about those fitness centers, after 3 people fit into a 12x12 room with "equipment" the space starts to get really small!

GODSEY
10-01-12, 10:28 am
Sheesh...last week was a bust, decided to take the week off after getting back in town, just thought I would take a few days and start fresh today. Body needed the rest I suppose. I am probably gonna start back with the cardio part, gained a few lbs and pretty sure its not new muscle, lol...

GODSEY
10-03-12, 9:43 am
Back to my own gym this week, its nice to know where everything is. I have two weeks planned to be home so looking to put some solid work in over that time. Been sort of going stale on my current routine, so decided to switch things up a bit. I am looking to go up in weight so decided to try to drop in reps and see what happens. Mainly just for a few key compound exercises, and so far have been happy. The key was to do a few warm up sets, then pick weight to do three working sets of 7, 5, and 3 reps. Then one final set to fail.

Monday I hit back, went with only 4 main lifts, and got much more weight than normally. Went with BB rows, pull downs, DB rows, seated CG cable row, and finished off with a few super-sets of CG pullups and cable lat pull downs. Went for the 7, 5, 3 schematic on the first four stations and was happy with the results. These lifts have been sort of lagging for me to date, hoping to get some progress. Got up to 205x3 on BB rows, 200x3 on pull downs, 110x3 on DB rows, and 180x3 on cable rows. I left out Deads this week due to them taking pretty much all my strength and I wanted to focus on these other lifts.

Tuesday I did chest and core, flat bench, cable crossover, incline DB fly, and Smith incline bench. Also finished up with some high/low wood chopper with 35lb plate, DB oblique crunch with 70lb DB, and some crunches till the cramping started. I was very happy with the 7, 5, 3 plan with flat BB bench, as this has been a serious lag for me for some time. Did warm ups of 135 and 185, then 225x7, 245x5, and 265x3, then finished off with 185x8. Had to ask someone to spot the heaviest set, but was glad cause I barely got the last rep. Its been too long for me to remember since I got 275 on flat bench so I feel like my strength is coming back. Did regularly work on all the other stations, and was pretty fried by the time incline came around. Almost threw up when I started the wood choppers, lol, perhaps a little too much core twisting going on there.

Today is leg day, so I am going to try to apply my new rep range for squats and leg press, see what happens...

Kowboy
10-03-12, 1:10 pm
Looks like you might be puking if you follow that for leg day lol looks like a good plan to me.

GODSEY
10-08-12, 1:49 pm
Been slacking with posting. Last week finished up ok, didn't quite puke on leg day Trebin, but I have been sore ever since, haha. Was able to get up to 315x4 on BB squats which felt pretty good, so I was happy with that, as well as up to 205x5 on Smith seated military press. My shoulders have been feeling healthy, it has been very nice. I have no idea if the new rep scheme is better or not, but it has been nice psychologically to know I am pushing more weight. This week I am going to take that and up my working sets to incorporate a higher weight, just start adding more reps. Gonna split the week back, chest, legs, shoulders, arms/calf and see if I can up the reps across the board. Deads for tonight...

GODSEY
10-09-12, 1:59 pm
So I think I that my little mind trick may have worked a little. Yesterday was back day, so did deads, BB smith machine rows, wide grip pulldowns, DB rows, and seated row machine. Was able to get more reps but with the same heavier weight as last week. It went something like this...

Deads - warm up with 135 and 225, then 315x8, 365x6, and 405x4, then 315x8
BB smith rows was 165x8, 185x7, 205x5
Pull-downs - 185x10, 205x7, 185x8
DB rows - 100x10, 105x10, 105x8
Seated row machine - 360x8, 360x6, and 270x8

Was a good workout, my back is pretty tight and sore today, and I was happy with the amount of weight and reps that I cranked out. I am trying this week to stay up on the higher weight I got last week, but add more reps on everything. A good example of that is DB rows, I think it was all a mental thing. From how things are looking I get the feeling I may have been sort of coasting for the last year or so, and I am looking to push myself more and more in the next few months. Have chest today, so see how that goes...

Christman
10-09-12, 2:31 pm
Have chest today, so see how that goes...

Make it count!

GODSEY
10-10-12, 3:46 pm
Make it count!

Done! And now the soreness kicks in, haha. Was happy with the total volume and weight. Went like this...

Flat BB bench press - warm up with 135 and 185, then 225x8, 225x7, 245x5, and 205x7
Incline smith press - 165x10, 185x8, 205x6
Seated pec deck - 175x10, 190x10, and 205x10
Cable crossover - 60x10, 60x10, and 60x8
Core work super-set 35lb plate high low wood-chopper x10 with suitcase oblique crunch with 70 lb DBx10 - did that twice

Was pretty sore today, I was trying to save a little energy and spread out the reps over flat and incline, not just burnout on flat bench. Was cramping up pretty hard with the core stuff. Thinking about backing off the weight there and maybe do more reps, but not sure.

Have legs today, and I am sore majorly in the back/traps, so that bar for squats is gonna feel real good, haha...

GODSEY
12-04-12, 11:34 am
Been slacking off. Not in the gym, haha, just online. Been eating like a horse for the last few weeks. Figured I would make this season of plenty into a bulking until the new year and see what happens. My lifts have went up with the added nutrition. I have put on about 5-10 lbs in the past month. Just trying to stay healthy and injury free for the next few weeks. Also am working in an extra leg workout this week, trying to get my wheels to grow.

Yesterday was leg day, day one
warmups with light weight high reps on leg extensions for a good pump.
Squat - 135x10, 225x8, 285x8, 315x6, 225x7 - my back was tight as hell after this, had some issues getting it calmed down for leg press
Leg press - 360x8, 450x7, 540x6, 540x6
Calf extensions on leg press - 450x25, 450x20, 500x15
Smith front squats - 95x10, 135x10, 135x10
walking lunges - body weightX 14, 60lbsX 14, 60lbsX14 - these really help my effed up knee
Seated calf raises - 135x15, 135x15, 135x15
Leg extensions - 160x12, 190x10, 225x8
SLDL - 225x8, 225x8, 225x8
Machine leg press calf extensions - 300x12, 400x10, 400x10

Felt good overall, had a wicked pump at the end. Just want these legs to grow!

GODSEY
12-04-12, 7:07 pm
Hit chest and core today. Had a few tips from watching/reading that Animal article from Gunz Griffin. Some of the mechanics of bench I have been a bit off on and I think things went better today. Had a new PR for bench. Never thought I would hit the 300 club but I guess I was wrong, lol.

Flat bench - 135x10, 185x8, 225x8, 245x3, 265x3, 285x3, 300x2, 225x7
Incline Bench - 185x8, 195x8, 185x7, 135x8
Seated Pec Deck - 170x10, 190x10, 210x10
Cable Crossover - 60x10, 70x10, 70x10
High low woodchopper with 45plate - 8 each side, 8 each side, 8 each side
DB suitcase pickup, 10 each side with 65lb, 65lb, and 75lb
Incline DB bench - 80s x 10, 80s x 10
machine ab crunch - 100x10, 100x10, 140x8

Call it a day...

Kowboy
12-04-12, 9:22 pm
Nice man, 300x2 is badass.

GODSEY
12-06-12, 10:57 am
Nice man, 300x2 is badass.

Thanks Mark! I was feeling good, had a decent spotter, and figured what the hell, I may not be this close in a while.

GODSEY
12-06-12, 11:10 am
Yesterday was back day. It looked like this...

Pullups for warm ups body weight X10 and some stretches
Deads - 135x10, 225x10, 315x8, 405x4, 405x4
Pullups - body weight X 8, 8, 8
DB row - 100x10, 105x8, 110x8
Smith Machine bent over row - 135x10, 185x8, 185x8
Cable straight arm lat pull down with 140x10, 125x10, 125x8 super-set with Close grip pull ups with body weight 8,6,4
Seated Machine row - 270x10, 360x8, 360x8
Seated Machine pull down - 180x8, 220x8, 200x8

Was pretty fried, but lower back wasn't cramping up, at least not till I got in the car, and then geez if it wasn't the longest 10 minutes home I ever had to endure.

GODSEY
12-07-12, 10:50 am
Hit shoulders last night. I am getting lazy to post every rep scheme but it went pretty well. The highlights were Shrugs with 405x6 on Smith until my grip went out and 3 sets of 110DBs for 10 reps. I still used OHP with the smith, but Dumbbells OHP went up to 75x10 for my last set. I just get really nervous with shoulders to prevent injury. I have messed it up easily in the past. Did a lot of other stuff - front, side, and rear raises, upright rows, and finished up with machine OHP 180x10, 200x10, and 220x10. Had a nice pump, and had trouble driving home cause my shoulders felt like cinder blocks...

Have second day of legs this week today. Going to try and go a little more isolation, lot of single leg work. We will see how it goes... Cant wait till the ABC in C town tomorrow. Gonna be fun...

Christman
12-10-12, 9:26 am
It was really cool to meet ya on Saturday at the ABC, hope you had a safe trip home.

GODSEY
12-10-12, 9:37 am
It was really cool to meet ya on Saturday at the ABC, hope you had a safe trip home.

Thanks bro, it was good to meet you too. Trip back was boring as always but short, made it just a little late for the Christmas party. Cant wait till the next event!

GODSEY
12-11-12, 10:03 am
Start of the week yesterday - Leg day

I am not going into all the details, but it included BB squats, leg press, heavy seated calf raises and leg press calf extensions, machine hack squats, DB walking lunges, laying and standing machine hamstring curls, and leg extensions to finish things off. Had a pretty bad leg pump, borderline cramping, but my back didnt get too tight, which really screws everything up sometimes. Highlights were BB squats 345x6 (should have probably went lower but whatever) and 630x8 on leg press. Doing 2 leg workouts last week really have made a difference, thinking of doing the same this week.

Kowboy
12-11-12, 10:11 am
Start of the week yesterday - Leg day

I am not going into all the details, but it included BB squats, leg press, heavy seated calf raises and leg press calf extensions, machine hack squats, DB walking lunges, laying and standing machine hamstring curls, and leg extensions to finish things off. Had a pretty bad leg pump, borderline cramping, but my back didnt get too tight, which really screws everything up sometimes. Highlights were BB squats 345x6 (should have probably went lower but whatever) and 630x8 on leg press. Doing 2 leg workouts last week really have made a difference, thinking of doing the same this week.

Looks like a good one to me. I am back in the gym tonight, had to take yesterday off. Upper body is toast from Saturday.

GODSEY
12-11-12, 11:10 am
Looks like a good one to me. I am back in the gym tonight, had to take yesterday off. Upper body is toast from Saturday.

Thanks man. It was a rough one, but the pump was insane. Trying to get my wheels to grow! :)

Kowboy
12-11-12, 11:30 am
Thanks man. It was a rough one, but the pump was insane. Trying to get my wheels to grow! :)

You and me both, and gotta shrink the gut. Sucks because I love food!

GODSEY
12-12-12, 2:33 pm
Had a decent chest/tri day yesterday.

Flat BB bench, Incline BB press, Seated pec deck, cable crossover, cable pressdown, overhead tricep extension, ab machine, and finished off with incline machine press for reps. My right shoulder was tweeking pretty bad after incline, think I just might have dived in too heavy too quickly. It felt fine after a good night sleep, so not too much worry. Got up to 285x5 on BB bench before it started hurting, think I should warm up a little better next time...

GODSEY
12-20-12, 11:22 am
Very very tired. I need a week off like nobody's business. I am at the end of a month long bulk and heavy lifting phase and am just worn out. Plus I think I hurt my left calf last night doing seated calf raises. During the second set felt something pop and today its all sore...perhaps I should have warmed up a bit more, sigh. Really just trying to finish up shoulders today and back tomorrow and take an off week. This body needs to heal... On the plus side I have hit a lot of PRs in the last month and put on about 15 lbs of mainly muscle...so that's good.

tark
12-28-12, 2:27 pm
Very very tired. I need a week off like nobody's business. I am at the end of a month long bulk and heavy lifting phase and am just worn out. Plus I think I hurt my left calf last night doing seated calf raises. During the second set felt something pop and today its all sore...perhaps I should have warmed up a bit more, sigh. Really just trying to finish up shoulders today and back tomorrow and take an off week. This body needs to heal... On the plus side I have hit a lot of PRs in the last month and put on about 15 lbs of mainly muscle...so that's good.

damn man 15 lbs is serious....hope you had a great christmas man...oooo and by the way...my beard is still going strong!!!!

GODSEY
01-02-13, 11:18 am
damn man 15 lbs is serious....hope you had a great christmas man...oooo and by the way...my beard is still going strong!!!!

Thanks man, rock the beard! haha

GODSEY
01-02-13, 11:27 am
Alrighty then...so after an off week last week I am still trying to heal up a few things that are nagging at me, one being a odd tendon in my hand (think its something to do with my elbow to little finger) and a sore left calf muscle (was doing seated calf extensions and heard a small pop a few weeks back). Overall last months bulk went well, saw some PR's, strength and size increases along with a little fat, haha, so this month and next I am going to work on shaving off a few lbs to fit back in my clothes better and see if I can keep some of the muscle. A couple of my focus things will be to add two leg days a week now, one for single joint leg and balance moves and the other for heavy leg stuff. I want to try and keep the leg muscle I have put on. The other thing is going to be adding some small bits of cross training into my regiments and see what happens, mainly some sprinting and yoga. My flexibility is horrible so hoping to change some of that up. This week looks like this...

Single leg workout
shoulders
arms/calf/yoga
heavy leg/sauna
chest/yoga
back

Oh and my new obsession is Ezekiel bread, even got the Mrs. hooked on it, lol...

tark
01-03-13, 9:25 pm
i fucking caved the other day and shaved the damn thing off :(

GODSEY
01-04-13, 10:15 am
i fucking caved the other day and shaved the damn thing off :(

hahaha...its hard sometimes. I had a shaving "accident" about 4 weeks ago when the guard popped off and I took a Jackass style gouge out of my beard. Contemplated shaving it but just took it down low, sometimes its tempting...

GODSEY
01-07-13, 3:57 pm
Sooo...starting a new 3 week wave today loosely based on the Cube Method. I really am just getting tired of going so heavy every week. This week is gonna look like this...

Leg Day
MAX EFFORT
Squats - 4*x 3 @315, 2 x 2 @345
Leg Press X4
Lunges X2 *
Machine Hack Squat X3
Standing Leg Curl *
Quad Extensions *
*Optional

Shoulders
Smith OHP
BB Shrugs
Seated DB OHP
Reverse Pec Dec
Upright Row
Seated DB Lateral Raises

REST

Back
DYNAMIC EFFORT (70% of 1RM)
Deadlift - 6-10x1@315 (45 sec rest)
Pulldowns X3
DB rows X3
CG Pullups/Cable pressdown X3
Machine Seated Row
Barbell Row X3

Chest
REPITITION EFFORT (30% of 1RM)
Flat Bench - 3x2min. @90
Smith Incline 3x2min. @70
Seated Pec Deck 3x2min. @57
Cable Crossover 3x2min. @25
Hi/Low Crossover w/ plate
Oblique DB crunch
Machine Crunches X50

I know this is pretty sad but I am really happy about having an extra rest day, and also pretty siked about doing a couple new training methods (dynamic and repetition) after pretty much just doing PL for the last 5 years. I don't know why I never considered this before. I also know this may be kind of vain to say but I really don't need an arm day any more. I could throw a set of bis and tris in every other or third week now and be fine. My elbows really take a bad beating on arm day, so don't want it to hinder overall growth. We will see how this goes, I am hopeful for big things. I am probably off with some % and such but this is just a temporary 3 week cycle before I buy The Cube Method book and do it up right... any help before then or after is greatly appreciated. I am wading out into very unfamiliar territory here...

GODSEY
01-08-13, 3:28 pm
So yesterday went good for leg day with Max Effort. I was happy with my squats, legs showed up and I got all the reps and sets I wanted and needed. Overall I think my legs are starting to develop, so happy there.

Went to the doc this morning for a couple things but had her check out my hand while I was there. She said based on the issues (some numbness from elbow to pinky, odd feeling in my hand/palm right before my pinky she thinks its Ulnar Neuropathy (Handlebar Palsy) or there is an adhesion under my palm maybe. I just overworked my elbows and wrists and this is the results. I'm hoping its the palsy thing, which she gave me some meds and exercises to do and see if it gets better in a week or two. Not workout above the waist where I use my elbow, blah, blah, blah. What kind of scares me is the adhesion bit. If it doesn't get better I am gonna end up at a hand specialist unfortunately, not sure what we are talking about there...

Christman
01-08-13, 4:05 pm
So yesterday went good for leg day with Max Effort. I was happy with my squats, legs showed up and I got all the reps and sets I wanted and needed. Overall I think my legs are starting to develop, so happy there.

Went to the doc this morning for a couple things but had her check out my hand while I was there. She said based on the issues (some numbness from elbow to pinky, odd feeling in my hand/palm right before my pinky she thinks its Ulnar Neuropathy (Handlebar Palsy) or there is an adhesion under my palm maybe. I just overworked my elbows and wrists and this is the results. I'm hoping its the palsy thing, which she gave me some meds and exercises to do and see if it gets better in a week or two. Not workout above the waist where I use my elbow, blah, blah, blah. What kind of scares me is the adhesion bit. If it doesn't get better I am gonna end up at a hand specialist unfortunately, not sure what we are talking about there...

Not trying to scare you but I have a buddy who just had both hands operated on for the neuropathy but he has had numbness from it for a long time. Overall he will be off work for about 3 months and can't lift at all. He tried the exercises for a long time which did not help but his was a pretty severe case. Hopefully the meds and exercises will fix you all up.

GODSEY
01-09-13, 11:03 am
Not trying to scare you but I have a buddy who just had both hands operated on for the neuropathy but he has had numbness from it for a long time. Overall he will be off work for about 3 months and can't lift at all. He tried the exercises for a long time which did not help but his was a pretty severe case. Hopefully the meds and exercises will fix you all up.

Thanks for the advice. I really am trying to figure out how serious to take it all. I really wanted to start this Cube Method training and ramp things up but I am sort of staring at taking a break from all things upper body. I lifted yesterday, shoulders, sort of moderate, and my left arm, elbow, and hand were very uncomfortable last night, still feeling weird this morning. I think I may have to just do legs for a few weeks until this all blows over or I get it fixed. Maybe the doc was right, lol.... oh well.

GODSEY
01-10-13, 10:02 am
So, after taking off yesterday and seeing how my arm is feeling its still up in the air about stuff. Not much has changed with it, its still a bit numb some of the time and my outside palm has that odd hard, wiry spot in it still. After Tuesday's workout (not advised by the Dr.) it hurt pretty bad and just aggravated it more, so I am going to discontinue upper body workout as she advised. Not happy about it, actually pretty frustrated. After an awesome December bulk, new PRs, and the hope to start the Cube Method and really start developing more it looks like I am going backwards some. Gonna try and make lemonade though. If I can do legs, well bring it on then. Gonna have to try something a little different. Today I am going to pick up the second leg workout of the week, and am thinking about incorporating some core and dynamic exercises that don't use my arm/elbow or hand too much. At least I can try and keep my leg strength and size, and perhaps slice off a bit of extra fat I built up during my bulk, we shall see. I have the fear of every lifter I am sure that once I stop working out for more than a week my muscle will fade away over night, but I doubt that will happen. I just have to get creative and make the best of it. Staying healthy is the biggest priority...sigh...

Kowboy
01-10-13, 11:52 am
So, after taking off yesterday and seeing how my arm is feeling its still up in the air about stuff. Not much has changed with it, its still a bit numb some of the time and my outside palm has that odd hard, wiry spot in it still. After Tuesday's workout (not advised by the Dr.) it hurt pretty bad and just aggravated it more, so I am going to discontinue upper body workout as she advised. Not happy about it, actually pretty frustrated. After an awesome December bulk, new PRs, and the hope to start the Cube Method and really start developing more it looks like I am going backwards some. Gonna try and make lemonade though. If I can do legs, well bring it on then. Gonna have to try something a little different. Today I am going to pick up the second leg workout of the week, and am thinking about incorporating some core and dynamic exercises that don't use my arm/elbow or hand too much. At least I can try and keep my leg strength and size, and perhaps slice off a bit of extra fat I built up during my bulk, we shall see. I have the fear of every lifter I am sure that once I stop working out for more than a week my muscle will fade away over night, but I doubt that will happen. I just have to get creative and make the best of it. Staying healthy is the biggest priority...sigh...

I hope everything works out, your strength won't go away. I was so nervous after taking like 9 days off and I have a big weekend ahead of me...gues we will find out if it is true or not.

GODSEY
01-10-13, 3:59 pm
I hope everything works out, your strength won't go away. I was so nervous after taking like 9 days off and I have a big weekend ahead of me...gues we will find out if it is true or not.

Good luck this weekend, I have my best lifts sometimes after a week off. I'm sure you'll do very good...

tark
01-10-13, 8:41 pm
your health is def the most important man....guess its just time for you to start trying to build those legs up big man!!

GODSEY
01-11-13, 10:21 am
I had a good second leg workout yesterday, just did a ton of single leg movements on everything, machine squat, leg press, seated and leg press calf raises, lunges, standing leg curl, and quad extensions. Got a good pump, so happy there. Taking today off due to going out of town tonight. I had a new nephew born this week on my wife's side so gonna stop on down to the Lexington area and see the little guy. Nothing is more funny than me holding a baby due to the size difference.

Gonna hit the gym again this Saturday for some cardio and core workout. Do some sprints, the bike, and whatever else gets me going. I figure if I can incorporate two leg days and two cardio/crosstraining days it will be good in the meantime. I set a Dr. appt for next Wednesday with a hand specialist, figured lets just get this out of the way ASAP and get one with whatever needs to happen. Longer I wait the longer I cant lift...

tark
01-11-13, 9:28 pm
I had a good second leg workout yesterday, just did a ton of single leg movements on everything, machine squat, leg press, seated and leg press calf raises, lunges, standing leg curl, and quad extensions. Got a good pump, so happy there. Taking today off due to going out of town tonight. I had a new nephew born this week on my wife's side so gonna stop on down to the Lexington area and see the little guy. Nothing is more funny than me holding a baby due to the size difference.

Gonna hit the gym again this Saturday for some cardio and core workout. Do some sprints, the bike, and whatever else gets me going. I figure if I can incorporate two leg days and two cardio/crosstraining days it will be good in the meantime. I set a Dr. appt for next Wednesday with a hand specialist, figured lets just get this out of the way ASAP and get one with whatever needs to happen. Longer I wait the longer I cant lift...

congrats on the nephew bud! you are going to the abc next weekend right? if so you maybe want to train some legs?

GODSEY
01-14-13, 9:36 am
congrats on the nephew bud! you are going to the abc next weekend right? if so you maybe want to train some legs?

You got it! I was hoping some guys were wanting to hit legs...

tark
01-14-13, 7:05 pm
You got it! I was hoping some guys were wanting to hit legs...

hell yea....cant wait man... looking forward to it!!

GODSEY
01-17-13, 9:54 am
So after being off the grid and out of the gym (sorta) for the last week I am heading back today. I haven't hit anything but legs since last Tuesday aside from a few cardio days earlier this week. I was happier than anything yesterday, finally saw the hand specialist and he calmed me down a bit, said things were not as serious, and I could lift again. He was explaining I had two issues going on. One was my left elbow, the ulnar nerve is being aggravated due to my tricep sort of being too large and interrupting the bottom of my elbow, with my unintentionally putting weight on it while its bent it is causing problem. He dropped the phrase this happens with "muscle bound" guys a few times, not sure if it was a compliment or not, but long story short its not serious, needs to be babied a bit, and should go away. I am probably going to stay away from extreme arm workouts for a while and let it clear up.

The other issue with my hand is a genetic thing called Dupuytren's Contracture, caught in the early stages. Its a thickening of the skin under my palm that causes the ring and pinky to contract and curl in over time. Pretty much sucks, just something I am going to have to monitor from now on. Basically for lifting it just means I am looking at heavy padded gloves and straps to not speed up the development. Heavy gripping will aggravate it. Over all though I am happy I can still lift. I was seriously starting to wonder if I was going to have to make some crazy life altering changes, but am happy I can still stay in this lane for now. Gonna hit back today, some chest and shoulders tomorrow, and then some legs on Saturday with Tark at the ABC! Next week I am back to starting the Cube Method like I originally planned two weeks ago. I shouldnt have lost too much strength or muscle in that short of a time. Looking forward to some gym time today...

Kowboy
01-17-13, 10:05 am
Glad it isn't too serious man, if gloves and straps save your hands and keep you lifting that is good news for sure. Looks like your arms are just too big...I would take it as a compliment but knowing doctors it most likely wasnt lol

GODSEY
01-17-13, 10:52 am
Glad it isn't too serious man, if gloves and straps save your hands and keep you lifting that is good news for sure. Looks like your arms are just too big...I would take it as a compliment but knowing doctors it most likely wasnt lol

Thanks man, I am happy as a lark about it. Almost went straight to the gym afterward to lift, haha. I know, it was the more humorous part of the appt. He kept prefacing "muscle bound guys" with "you can tell I don't get to the gym much" and at one point he was really trying to tell me to stay away from preacher curls but didn't know the exercise so I tried to stay dumb for a bit. I have learned to treat several groups of people with extra care (food prep, taxes, LEA) and DRs go into that as well... BTW, that's a nice shiner on your quad from the other day...

Kowboy
01-17-13, 11:01 am
Thanks man, I am happy as a lark about it. Almost went straight to the gym afterward to lift, haha. I know, it was the more humorous part of the appt. He kept prefacing "muscle bound guys" with "you can tell I don't get to the gym much" and at one point he was really trying to tell me to stay away from preacher curls but didn't know the exercise so I tried to stay dumb for a bit. I have learned to treat several groups of people with extra care (food prep, taxes, LEA) and DRs go into that as well... BTW, that's a nice shiner on your quad from the other day...

Yeah, I bet. I have a special irritation w/ doctors most of the time. My family doc is cool, she lets me explain the weight lifting stuff and I had her review my supplements. She is really open to listening. Any other doctors I have a hard time with.

The bruise on my leg is brutal but it matches the ones on the inside of my arm lol. It was totally worth it, felt so badass to carry that thing. It is 25lbs over the one in the contest as well.

GODSEY
01-17-13, 12:19 pm
Yeah, I bet. I have a special irritation w/ doctors most of the time. My family doc is cool, she lets me explain the weight lifting stuff and I had her review my supplements. She is really open to listening. Any other doctors I have a hard time with.

The bruise on my leg is brutal but it matches the ones on the inside of my arm lol. It was totally worth it, felt so badass to carry that thing. It is 25lbs over the one in the contest as well.

It looks like you got creamed at dodgeball, haha... Thats pretty cool if you are above the contest one.

Kowboy
01-17-13, 12:23 pm
It looks like you got creamed at dodgeball, haha... Thats pretty cool if you are above the contest one.

Yeah, hoping to keep grinding it out to make it a bit easier. I think if I had a better hold and could just suck it up I could double that distance...well maybe.

GODSEY
01-24-13, 2:09 pm
Ok, so back in they gym yesterday for day 3 of 4 this week. It was back day with explosive focus on deads. For me that was 70% of 1RM for singles. Definitely NOT something I have done before, so who knows if I did it right. Basically after a few warmups I settled in for 10 singles at 315 with a 45 second pause between pulls. I really tried to focus on the explosive part at the bottom, with speed speed speed, alternating grips with no straps, it felt really light at first, started to slow down a little towards then end. Went ahead and did 7 reps my last set just because. I may need to use bands next time, but since I have never used them before wasn't quite sure where to start. Went ahead and finished up with a normal 3x10 sets for the rest of my lifts... Not feeling too much today. Today is rep day with bench...we shall see how that goes...

tark
01-24-13, 9:14 pm
Ok, so back in they gym yesterday for day 3 of 4 this week. It was back day with explosive focus on deads. For me that was 70% of 1RM for singles. Definitely NOT something I have done before, so who knows if I did it right. Basically after a few warmups I settled in for 10 singles at 315 with a 45 second pause between pulls. I really tried to focus on the explosive part at the bottom, with speed speed speed, alternating grips with no straps, it felt really light at first, started to slow down a little towards then end. Went ahead and did 7 reps my last set just because. I may need to use bands next time, but since I have never used them before wasn't quite sure where to start. Went ahead and finished up with a normal 3x10 sets for the rest of my lifts... Not feeling too much today. Today is rep day with bench...we shall see how that goes...

hows your hand feeling? have any trouble with it pulling?

GODSEY
01-25-13, 1:16 pm
hows your hand feeling? have any trouble with it pulling?

Its not too bad, Ive just been babying it a bit. Even with padded gloves it feels like there is a hard knot under my palm. Straps take a lot of the issue off the table. I actually have more trouble with it on pushing days because the bar pushes down on it pretty hard. Gonna have to figure something out for long term...

GODSEY
01-25-13, 1:33 pm
Humility. Got a really good dose of this yesterday. So I was working on a rep day for chest. With the amounts I calculated off of my 1RM I thought this day was going to be a joke. It was supposed to look something like this...

Chest
REPITITION EFFORT (30% of 1RM) Slow steady reps...

Flat Bench - 3x2min. @90 ------- actually 4 sets for 45-60 seconds.
Smith Incline 3x2min. @70 ------- actually 4 sets for 45-60 seconds.
Seated Pec Deck 3x2min. @57 ------- actually 3 sets for 45-60 seconds.
Cable Crossover 3x2min. @25 ------- actually 3 sets for 45-60 seconds.
Hi/Low Crossover w/ plate
Oblique DB crunch
Machine Crunches X40

How it actually turned out was me barely getting a set for a full 60 seconds. On everything. It was quite sad. Got a great pump, but it was really pathetic to see me standing next to the incline BB bench with a 10 and 5 lb weight on each side. Got a few stares, lol. I guess this is definitely something I need to work on. Apparently my endurance is non-existent. So for now on when rep day for bench is due it looks like I am going to be keeping the same sad weight and will be working on getting up to the full 2 minutes. Improvement is needed in this area. I am gonna guess that all my rep days are going to be looking similar, but we will see next week. Taking today off, but may throw a lag day in on Saturday and hit a little bit of arms/calf/whatever else I need to brush up on.

GODSEY
01-29-13, 3:58 pm
So started off the week yesterday with a little leg action. Focus was a dynamic day, with speed and explosiveness the main goal with BB squats. After a few minutes on the bike, warm ups with leg extensions, and few reps with 135 and 225 I tried to get down to business

Leg Day
DYNAMIC EFFORT (75% of 1RM)
Squats - 8x3 @265 with 40lbs of that in bands (60sec rest)
Leg Press X4 450, 540, 630, 540
Lunges X2 30lbs db
Machine Hack Squat X3 180, 220, 220
Standing Leg Curl x2 100, 110
Quad Extensions x3

With the squats, I wanted to think I was moving pretty fast, but I get the feeling if you were watching I was moving kind of slow, lol. I was pretty fried after all of this, so had a nice time in the steam room along with the hot tub for 20 minutes.

GODSEY
01-31-13, 9:46 am
Tuesday I hit up shoulders.

I have lately trying to focus on more things that I am just weak at or have been scared of for the last few years. Standing BB press has always been an issue with me, probably because usually I have babied my shoulder lifts, done them with supports, gone too heavy most of the time, or had injuries. Started with with a low weight, focused on good form this time. I think I am going to try and do them in place of seated smith OHP every other week now, it appears I really need to build up my strength here.

Standing BB OHP x4 was more of straight press, got up to 135, not much I guess, but felt solid for me
BB Shrugs x3
Seated machine OHP x3
Reverse Pec Dec x3
Upright Cable Row x3
Seated DB Lateral Raises x3
Rope work x2 sets of 20 reps (this was a nice finishing move, had a good pump and this really put a cap on the day)

GODSEY
02-20-13, 10:12 am
Been off the grid for a bit, starting a new job on Monday with a much longer commute so not sure how much posting I will get in the next few weeks, but we will see how things go.

Been getting 4-5 days in a week, cycling a cube variation 3 week training cycle. I have been happy with my lifts, and have been trying some new stuff, new training methods, and also some new equipment. Picked up an elbow sleeve for my left elbow that keeps bothering me, along with 2 knee sleeves for leg day. I love both, they have really helped a lot, keeping things compressed and warmed up. I still refuse to wear a belt or wrap my knees yet, I am assuming that day will come, but for now I just want to keep things unaided in that respect. My core has gotten and stayed strong so far, so why not.

2 other things I have picked up was Brandon Lilly's The Cube Method e-book, and am reading through that now. I will probably ditch my cube variation training after next week and start a cycle of training based on his book. I like the ideas, and the methods seem very good, especially with my success I have had in the last 5 weeks just with my own piddly variation of things. Power-lifting looks pretty fun actually, not sure if I have the body type for some of the poundage but who knows. I have started to train like one so maybe in the next few years things will transition. I would like to go to a PL meet soon just to check things out. Kind of getting a little bored with just straight BB. The other thing I picked up were two green 65lb rogue fitness bands and have started using them on my dynamic days. Still getting the hang of how to actually use them right, especially working out in a non-powerlifting gym, but its coming along. The stares are funny though, but to be honest I am having fun.

I will try to stay posted on stuff, maybe more when I start the official Cube cycle. Afraid I wont be able to make the Arnold, was hoping to this year for the first time, but really don't see it with starting a new job next week.

Christman
02-20-13, 10:49 am
I was beginning to wonder what was going on with you, good to hear you are still getting at it. You'll be missed at the Arnold this year.

Kowboy
02-20-13, 10:53 am
Good stuff man, what days are you hitting the Arnold?

Saeger
02-20-13, 11:13 am
Stopped in for the first time, seeing some good shit in here bro keep it up.

GODSEY
02-20-13, 12:48 pm
I was beginning to wonder what was going on with you, good to hear you are still getting at it. You'll be missed at the Arnold this year.

Thanks Chris, yeah been slackin on posting, but not on lifting, lol. I was hoping but work comes first and all that...

Good stuff man, what days are you hitting the Arnold?

I am afraid I am not going to make it this year. I start a new job next week and am pretty sure I am gonna have to work Saturday. Sort of promised to available due to just coming on board. I am definitly going to miss out. If I find out otherwise I may try to get up to Columbus on Saturday though. We shall see...

Stopped in for the first time, seeing some good shit in here bro keep it up.

Thanks man!

tark
02-20-13, 7:01 pm
good luck with starting your new job brotha!! and good to see your still getting your work done man...not the end of the world if you cant post it...we will still be here!!!! lol

GODSEY
02-23-13, 1:48 pm
Very happy with my workout today. Finished up the week with a heavy chest day. Almost didnt go because my arm was hurting, but muscled through it anyway. Gotta say using my new elbow sleeve really helped.

Highlight of my day was flat bench -

Couple warmups with 135, 135, 185, 225...
265x3
265x3
265x3
265x3
285x1
300x3 - New PR for me, had a spot, but absolutely no help, just watching...

Also did inline DB bench
70x10
85x8
90x8 have never went quite this high before, so happy with this...

finished up with
seated pec dec
cable crossovers
35 plate twist high low woodchopper
oblique cable crunch

I really think this Cube Method is working. Literally a month ago I hit my first 300x2 flat bench PR, and today I crushed it with another full rep. Could have gotten another one possibly with a bit more trust in my spotter. Definitly happy with the overall progress.

tark
02-24-13, 3:34 pm
Very happy with my workout today. Finished up the week with a heavy chest day. Almost didnt go because my arm was hurting, but muscled through it anyway. Gotta say using my new elbow sleeve really helped.

Highlight of my day was flat bench -

Couple warmups with 135, 135, 185, 225...
265x3
265x3
265x3
265x3
285x1
300x3 - New PR for me, had a spot, but absolutely no help, just watching...

Also did inline DB bench
70x10
85x8
90x8 have never went quite this high before, so happy with this...

finished up with
seated pec dec
cable crossovers
35 plate twist high low woodchopper
oblique cable crunch

I really think this Cube Method is working. Literally a month ago I hit my first 300x2 flat bench PR, and today I crushed it with another full rep. Could have gotten another one possibly with a bit more trust in my spotter. Definitly happy with the overall progress.

congrats on that pr man!! how long have you been using that cube method for now??

GODSEY
03-04-13, 10:01 pm
congrats on that pr man!! how long have you been using that cube method for now??

Hmmm, about 5 weeks in now. I like the wave method that it does, really allows me to heal and take time off from heavy while still repping out and also using bands. You just have to go in with a plan, not all willy nillie, lol, so that part is a bit of work. I was off last week with a pretty bad cold and also started a new job, so lifting just fell on the back burner. Am just doing a ol boring 4 day split this week, may even throw a arm day in and get crazy. Next week I am going to start a 9 week cycle, so this week I have to get my numbers and plan out the whole thing. I also want to finish reading the Cube Method book, started it but never got to finish...

So today I hit legs, nothing crazy, but was happy with the highlights...
BB Squats, got up to 315x6
Leg press 630x8
Hack squat machine 300x8
set of lunges
3 sets of standing hamstring curls
3 sets of quad extension finished with 205x8

Had some difficulty walking to the car and standing up to cook dinner so I guess it was pretty good.
:)

Damn I wish I had hit the Arnold, lol... Next year for sure.

BubbyLight
03-04-13, 10:45 pm
Hmmm, about 5 weeks in now. I like the wave method that it does, really allows me to heal and take time off from heavy while still repping out and also using bands. You just have to go in with a plan, not all willy nillie, lol, so that part is a bit of work. I was off last week with a pretty bad cold and also started a new job, so lifting just fell on the back burner. Am just doing a ol boring 4 day split this week, may even throw a arm day in and get crazy. Next week I am going to start a 9 week cycle, so this week I have to get my numbers and plan out the whole thing. I also want to finish reading the Cube Method book, started it but never got to finish...

So today I hit legs, nothing crazy, but was happy with the highlights...
BB Squats, got up to 315x6
Leg press 630x8
Hack squat machine 300x8
set of lunges
3 sets of standing hamstring curls
3 sets of quad extension finished with 205x8

Had some difficulty walking to the car and standing up to cook dinner so I guess it was pretty good.

Damn I wish I had hit the Arnold, lol... Next year for sure.

Arnold def was a blast. Nothin like crushing some squats and moving to the leg press to push it even harder.

Kowboy
03-04-13, 11:02 pm
Arnold was a great time, missed seeing ya man.

Christman
03-05-13, 10:25 am
Arnold was a great time, missed seeing ya man.

x2

Hope to see ya at the next ABC whenever it is here in Ohio.

Saeger
03-05-13, 10:39 am
Nice work bro, Keep on killing it.

GODSEY
04-07-13, 11:09 pm
Haha, wow, its been a whole month. Geez, I have definitely been off the grid. Just a lot going on with a new job and a longer commute, afraid I just dont have time to keep up on the daily where the journey comes in. Things have just now started to slow down it seems, and I have adjusted to some things changing. All my meals have shifted back a few hours, I am getting to the gym almost 3 hours later than I used to, so it took a while to catch up it seems. Those first few workouts at my new time just about killed me, but all in all things are going good. Your body and mind adapt, and you will yourself to be strong and develop.

I am in the middle of a nine week PL cube cycle. I am starting week 5 of a 9 week cube cycle tomorrow, Dynamic leg day with bands. I have been very happy with the progress, and the transition from one type of training every day to the next keeps things interesting. I like to think I am starting to train like a powerlifter, although I am not sure my lifts will ever get to awesome proportion as I see "real" powerlifters, lol. The curse of the tall lifter I think. :) I do really enjoy the rest from not having to go heavy every week, and I like the dynamic day using my green rogue bands. I can really feel my speed and endurance helping my overall lifting. Just in the last 5 weeks I have hit a new bench PR (325x2) and my deads and squat have both posted decent numbers on my heavy days. My knee and elbow sleeves have really helped keep me healthy, and taking things slow on heavy days has been smart. Its all working together though, a nice ebb and flow of reps to heavy to speed. I do need to drop a few lbs for the summer, but I am more excited to see some of the stats I post at the end of this nine weeks. Hopefully I will post soon and not in a month from now, haha.

Happy Lifting!

tark
04-08-13, 8:33 pm
Haha, wow, its been a whole month. Geez, I have definitely been off the grid. Just a lot going on with a new job and a longer commute, afraid I just dont have time to keep up on the daily where the journey comes in. Things have just now started to slow down it seems, and I have adjusted to some things changing. All my meals have shifted back a few hours, I am getting to the gym almost 3 hours later than I used to, so it took a while to catch up it seems. Those first few workouts at my new time just about killed me, but all in all things are going good. Your body and mind adapt, and you will yourself to be strong and develop.

I am in the middle of a nine week PL cube cycle. I am starting week 5 of a 9 week cube cycle tomorrow, Dynamic leg day with bands. I have been very happy with the progress, and the transition from one type of training every day to the next keeps things interesting. I like to think I am starting to train like a powerlifter, although I am not sure my lifts will ever get to awesome proportion as I see "real" powerlifters, lol. The curse of the tall lifter I think. :) I do really enjoy the rest from not having to go heavy every week, and I like the dynamic day using my green rogue bands. I can really feel my speed and endurance helping my overall lifting. Just in the last 5 weeks I have hit a new bench PR (325x2) and my deads and squat have both posted decent numbers on my heavy days. My knee and elbow sleeves have really helped keep me healthy, and taking things slow on heavy days has been smart. Its all working together though, a nice ebb and flow of reps to heavy to speed. I do need to drop a few lbs for the summer, but I am more excited to see some of the stats I post at the end of this nine weeks. Hopefully I will post soon and not in a month from now, haha.

Happy Lifting!

good to hear your lifting is going well and your still hitting pr's!! missed having you around here big guy!!

GODSEY
04-09-13, 9:15 am
good to hear your lifting is going well and your still hitting pr's!! missed having you around here big guy!!

I hear that man! Last Satruday my wife was like "Uh, I think there is a Animal event today" and I was like"....yeah, Im not going anywhere, lol". I need to hit the next one in Columbus or Cincy with everyone.

GODSEY
04-09-13, 9:25 am
Wanted to start the week last night but ended up working 11 hours, so didnt feel like hitting legs that late. So when I woke up at 5:30 for no reason and couldnt go back to sleep I hit the gym. Wasnt sure how going that early for legs on 5 and half hours of sleep and on an empty stomack was gonna work but I was suprised. Just felt strong this morning so glad it worked out. But the end of the hour though I was sapped and needed some calories.

Did reverse band squats for the first time and really like them. After a few warm up sets I hit 5 sets of triples with 265 (no bands), then at the end did 315x3, 365x3, and 365x3 with bands. I have been focusing on getting low with squats. The fear of getting out of the hole with the bands was gone, and it really just let me put a lot of weight on my back and focus on the explosive part. Think I could have hit 400 but I didnt feel like pushing it. Fell back on the Cube advice to not try and PR on dynamic day, lol. Finished up with all the other fun leg day stuff, pretty wasted. Chalk up a bad night's sleep with a good workout to start the day. Maybe I should try a few more morning workouts sometime.

Saeger
04-09-13, 9:29 am
Solid shit man, way to make a good situation out of a tough one. Nice squat day.

GODSEY
04-09-13, 9:51 am
Solid shit man, way to make a good situation out of a tough one. Nice squat day.

Thanks man, making lemonaid is all. I hear your test is higher in the morning, but who knows, not gonna overthink it.

Saeger
04-09-13, 9:53 am
Thanks man, making lemonaid is all. I hear your test is higher in the morning, but who knows, not gonna overthink it.

Yeah I have heard the same I wish I had the time to hit it before work but I usually get at it at lunch time. The main thing is getting the work in, so nicely done.

tark
04-09-13, 7:36 pm
Wanted to start the week last night but ended up working 11 hours, so didnt feel like hitting legs that late. So when I woke up at 5:30 for no reason and couldnt go back to sleep I hit the gym. Wasnt sure how going that early for legs on 5 and half hours of sleep and on an empty stomack was gonna work but I was suprised. Just felt strong this morning so glad it worked out. But the end of the hour though I was sapped and needed some calories.

Did reverse band squats for the first time and really like them. After a few warm up sets I hit 5 sets of triples with 265 (no bands), then at the end did 315x3, 365x3, and 365x3 with bands. I have been focusing on getting low with squats. The fear of getting out of the hole with the bands was gone, and it really just let me put a lot of weight on my back and focus on the explosive part. Think I could have hit 400 but I didnt feel like pushing it. Fell back on the Cube advice to not try and PR on dynamic day, lol. Finished up with all the other fun leg day stuff, pretty wasted. Chalk up a bad night's sleep with a good workout to start the day. Maybe I should try a few more morning workouts sometime.

love love love reverse band squats!! like you said allows you to put more weight on and still focus on depth and form...have to come down some weekend your free and hit some of these!! what stance were you using with them?

GODSEY
04-10-13, 2:15 pm
love love love reverse band squats!! like you said allows you to put more weight on and still focus on depth and form...have to come down some weekend your free and hit some of these!! what stance were you using with them?

I hear you there. I just am using a shoulder width stance, little bit of toes pointing out is all. I did a little research Monday and Brandon Lilly had a bit to say about using them for dynamic leg day with the cube. Never tried them, but I am a big fan now... Definitely need to meet up sometime and knock out a nice leg day. Maybe the next ABC we kill it, would be a lot of fun...

tark
04-11-13, 6:06 pm
I hear you there. I just am using a shoulder width stance, little bit of toes pointing out is all. I did a little research Monday and Brandon Lilly had a bit to say about using them for dynamic leg day with the cube. Never tried them, but I am a big fan now... Definitely need to meet up sometime and knock out a nice leg day. Maybe the next ABC we kill it, would be a lot of fun...

you know im always down man!!!

GODSEY
04-15-13, 12:09 pm
So today I start week 6 of 9 for the total cube cycle. Next week on weeks 7-9 I will hit the heaviest of my lifts before a test/fake meet event (and an off week). Just trying at this point to stay healthy, keep to the program, and get into the gym. This week is going to be crazy so just getting in the time can be challenging.

Last week was good, a bit weird. Just on observation sometimes the human body is a odd thing. You think you know what’s up and something else completely happens. For instance Saturday I had a ton of sleep, ate good, was ready to lift, and struggled on back day soooo much. I did 3 dead lift warm-ups (135, 225, 275) and then 3 working sets of 325 for 8 reps and it about killed me. Felt sick and weak. Finished up and did a few sets of pull downs, rows, and cable pulls before giving up, couldn’t have been over 12 working sets at moderate weight but I was swole as you can get and sore as hell the next day. I cant figure it out.

I was happy with the heavy bench day yesterday. I am getting better with my technique and confidence on flat bench. I didn’t ask for a spot this go round, and after pyramiding up to working weight got 3 sets of 285x2. Finished up some other incline, cable and pec deck stuff along with oblique and ab work. I was just thinking I cant remember the last time I worked out arms. With my left elbow hurting and wearing a sleeve at this point I am just trying to keep it healthy for the other lifts. Aside from a well defined tri horseshoe and nice bicep peak I don’t care too much. I do need to make sure my forarm work doesn’t slip, but overall I haven’t lost any upper arm mass, lol.

To date I cant say enough about the cube method and the cycle that just makes a lot of sense. Worth the time and effort for sure…

tark
04-15-13, 7:56 pm
So today I start week 6 of 9 for the total cube cycle. Next week on weeks 7-9 I will hit the heaviest of my lifts before a test/fake meet event (and an off week). Just trying at this point to stay healthy, keep to the program, and get into the gym. This week is going to be crazy so just getting in the time can be challenging.

Last week was good, a bit weird. Just on observation sometimes the human body is a odd thing. You think you know what’s up and something else completely happens. For instance Saturday I had a ton of sleep, ate good, was ready to lift, and struggled on back day soooo much. I did 3 dead lift warm-ups (135, 225, 275) and then 3 working sets of 325 for 8 reps and it about killed me. Felt sick and weak. Finished up and did a few sets of pull downs, rows, and cable pulls before giving up, couldn’t have been over 12 working sets at moderate weight but I was swole as you can get and sore as hell the next day. I cant figure it out.

I was happy with the heavy bench day yesterday. I am getting better with my technique and confidence on flat bench. I didn’t ask for a spot this go round, and after pyramiding up to working weight got 3 sets of 285x2. Finished up some other incline, cable and pec deck stuff along with oblique and ab work. I was just thinking I cant remember the last time I worked out arms. With my left elbow hurting and wearing a sleeve at this point I am just trying to keep it healthy for the other lifts. Aside from a well defined tri horseshoe and nice bicep peak I don’t care too much. I do need to make sure my forarm work doesn’t slip, but overall I haven’t lost any upper arm mass, lol.

To date I cant say enough about the cube method and the cycle that just makes a lot of sense. Worth the time and effort for sure…

do you have your numbers from when you first started your cube cycle? would be cool to compare numbers from when you started to where you will end up at the end of your first go at it.....

GODSEY
04-16-13, 2:24 pm
do you have your numbers from when you first started your cube cycle? would be cool to compare numbers from when you started to where you will end up at the end of your first go at it.....

I do. Some of them I have already pushed through, especially on flat bench, but at the end I want to see a side by side comparison from what I thought my 1rep max was on the big 3 and the stats I actually put up for my "fake" meet. I am getting curious. Some of the things I am doing on my dynamic and rep day are getting more focused, so I hope to blast through those PRs I have had for a while. I would love to hit 500 on deads and 400 on squat...we shall see though.

Saeger
04-16-13, 2:50 pm
Good work in here brother, looking forward to seeing the comparison after you run the cube all the way through, keep it up.

tark
04-16-13, 8:37 pm
I do. Some of them I have already pushed through, especially on flat bench, but at the end I want to see a side by side comparison from what I thought my 1rep max was on the big 3 and the stats I actually put up for my "fake" meet. I am getting curious. Some of the things I am doing on my dynamic and rep day are getting more focused, so I hope to blast through those PRs I have had for a while. I would love to hit 500 on deads and 400 on squat...we shall see though.

thats awesome there will be concrete proof of your gains then....hell i got faith in ya man your gonna crush that 500 and 400!!

GODSEY
04-27-13, 7:21 pm
Just finished up week 7 of my 9 week cube cycle. Feeling good, just nursing a few body parts, mainly joint related to stay healthy and on target. 2 more weeks to go and then a testing day or fake meet day to see how high some of my PRs can get. Just picked a new tub of Animal Pump and some amino acids for help, plan to hit it hard and finish strong.

GODSEY
05-03-13, 4:50 pm
Rolling through week 8 of 9. Doing rep day for back today. Then heavy chest tomorrow. Trying to stay healthy, and mentally on point. This is usually about the time I start a deload week or a week off and my body and mind both are letting me know. Joints, elbows and knees starting to get creeky and old feeling, lol.

Plan for today is pullups, rep deads, pulldowns, DB rows, close grip pullups and seated rows, maybe some other stuff depending how I feel.

Joined a new gym this week, so I have two locations to hit, one next to my work here in Northern KY and on up near my place in Northern Cincy. Hopefully I will cut some waiting in traffic out of my day by hitting the gym right after work before shooting all the way up 71 through Cincy. New playgrounds, hope everyone plays nice... :)

tark
05-03-13, 6:30 pm
Rolling through week 8 of 9. Doing rep day for back today. Then heavy chest tomorrow. Trying to stay healthy, and mentally on point. This is usually about the time I start a deload week or a week off and my body and mind both are letting me know. Joints, elbows and knees starting to get creeky and old feeling, lol.

Plan for today is pullups, rep deads, pulldowns, DB rows, close grip pullups and seated rows, maybe some other stuff depending how I feel.

Joined a new gym this week, so I have two locations to hit, one next to my work here in Northern KY and on up near my place in Northern Cincy. Hopefully I will cut some waiting in traffic out of my day by hitting the gym right after work before shooting all the way up 71 through Cincy. New playgrounds, hope everyone plays nice... :)

man i dont know if i could deal with that cincy traffic bullshit day in and day out haha....new gym tho is always nice change of scenery and pace...is next week your week of your mock meet?

GODSEY
05-03-13, 9:45 pm
man i dont know if i could deal with that cincy traffic bullshit day in and day out haha....new gym tho is always nice change of scenery and pace...is next week your week of your mock meet?

Next week is week 9, so the last week of the cycle. Gonna have rep leg day, normal (rep) shoulder day, heavy back day, and dynamic chest day with bands on Saturday. Then probably take a few days and plan a mock meet towards the end of the following week. Been kickin around some ideas about where to have it and with who cause I am thinking I may need a spot or two. I have a few guys I know from my gym but its more in passing. If we get together for an ABC in the next few weeks I could even plan something around that...I really just need a spot on bench and someone to watch me on squats. Dont wanna kill myself just yet, :) Then I need a week off or a deload week like something else. I am not a guy who can go 5-6 days a week and never take a week off. I actually need to back off the intensity sometimes. Nearly passed out ordering dinner at Moe's last back day, simply didnt stop soon enough and could cool down. I was like, "I am gonna black our right here ordering toppings for my burrito, this is gonna be so embarrassing..." So a week off, yea that sounds real nice!

tark
05-04-13, 10:19 am
Next week is week 9, so the last week of the cycle. Gonna have rep leg day, normal (rep) shoulder day, heavy back day, and dynamic chest day with bands on Saturday. Then probably take a few days and plan a mock meet towards the end of the following week. Been kickin around some ideas about where to have it and with who cause I am thinking I may need a spot or two. I have a few guys I know from my gym but its more in passing. If we get together for an ABC in the next few weeks I could even plan something around that...I really just need a spot on bench and someone to watch me on squats. Dont wanna kill myself just yet, :) Then I need a week off or a deload week like something else. I am not a guy who can go 5-6 days a week and never take a week off. I actually need to back off the intensity sometimes. Nearly passed out ordering dinner at Moe's last back day, simply didnt stop soon enough and could cool down. I was like, "I am gonna black our right here ordering toppings for my burrito, this is gonna be so embarrassing..." So a week off, yea that sounds real nice!

well if this abc goes down the 18th maybe that would be perfect to due your mock meet at....would have more than enough support and might even give you that extra push....i hear ya on the intensity thing man...im the same way...ive just been going as hard as physically possible...

GODSEY
05-04-13, 6:02 pm
Finished up this morning with a heavy bench day. Went up pretty quick, maybe too quick, on flat bench, but was happy overall with the results...
135x8
185x6
225x3
265x2
295x2
315x2 - this felt really light for some reason, which led to me rushing on to the next set...
340x0 (had a spot this last set, unracked it myself, and it drifted a few inches too low over my stomach, and I was f***ed, so the spotter helped me with 2 reps which I am not counting. :)

Did floor smith machine presses, machine incline, seated and leg press calf sets, seated pec dec, cable crossovers, oblique DB crunches, and plate high/low woodchopper...was pretty spent, but happy with the day. Gonna try for 350 on flat bench in a few weeks and see how it goes...

GODSEY
05-07-13, 12:05 pm
Had a splendid work day (sarcasm) so definitely was looking for a nice workout session. Was leg rep day, and tried out a new gym location so there were lots of nice new toys to try. Was happy to be reaquanted with my old friend the hack squat machine. All in all had a very nice satisfying time. Ended up doing squats (135x8, 185x6, 225x5, 285x5, 285x4, 225x5), leg press (450x8, 540x8, 630x8), seated and leg press calf raises (100+ reps), hack squats, walking lunges, laying leg curls, and quad extension. Got a little icy hot therapy later that night and some homemade pulled pork BBQ so the day ended pretty good. Today is shoulders, well see how that goes. I should have enough leftover aggression to fuel a nice workout. :)

tark
05-10-13, 4:52 pm
Finished up this morning with a heavy bench day. Went up pretty quick, maybe too quick, on flat bench, but was happy overall with the results...
135x8
185x6
225x3
265x2
295x2
315x2 - this felt really light for some reason, which led to me rushing on to the next set...
340x0 (had a spot this last set, unracked it myself, and it drifted a few inches too low over my stomach, and I was f***ed, so the spotter helped me with 2 reps which I am not counting. :)

Did floor smith machine presses, machine incline, seated and leg press calf sets, seated pec dec, cable crossovers, oblique DB crunches, and plate high/low woodchopper...was pretty spent, but happy with the day. Gonna try for 350 on flat bench in a few weeks and see how it goes...

Let your spotter unrack it for ya brotha...save everything for the lift!! Thats what hes there for...strong looking day still and lock down that mental part of it...you will smoke 350 soon my man!!

GODSEY
05-10-13, 11:10 pm
Let your spotter unrack it for ya brotha...save everything for the lift!! Thats what hes there for...strong looking day still and lock down that mental part of it...you will smoke 350 soon my man!!

Thanks man, seldom use a spotter so all kinda new to me, but next time definitely gonna take the help.

Had the privilege of working out with Cincybrent today for a pretty solid back workout. He is new to the iron game and I havent lifted with a partner for like 10 years so it was a nice lifting session. We went over some basics, mainly deadlift form and general back workout things. Really trying to get form down before we start going up in weight for some of the "fun" lifts. On the flip side this was a heavy deadlift back day for me so it was sort of night and day but it worked out fine.
Deads
135x10
185x8
225x6
275x3
365x2
415x1
445x1 (this last set was pathetic on form, but I pulled it, so whatever)
After that it was pulldowns, DB rows, close grip pullups superset with cable lat pushdowns, and finished up with seated close grip cable rows.
Last deadlift workout before my mock meet next week sometime. Felt like if I had built up slower to my almost max I would have been fine. I tend to jump too quick on the weight, need to work on that part. Have a chest and core workout this Monday then gonna take a few days. My back is already tightening up from going so heavy so gonna sleep good tonight and whine about it tomorrow. I have a Habitat thing called "build the walls" for four hours in the morning, most of which I am going to be bending over swinging a hammer...not sure how that is gonna feel. After that me and my brolaw are hitting up Shoot Extreme for a some Zombie Hunt and some Force on Force good time.(Think paintball but with modified guns shooting faster pellets...) If all goes to plan by the time someone is shooting at me my back will be so sore I cant move fast enough. :)

GODSEY
05-24-13, 10:37 pm
So its been a while. I was ready to try and do my mock meet at the end of my first cube cycle last weekend but I came down with a nasty head cold so I just pushed it out a few days until today. Felt better, body felt ready to go, so went in and gave it what I had. Warmed up a little, then just went for it. I had to do some fancy phone propping up to get some of my vids from the day. One thing I did learn was I need to take vids more often, cause some of my stuff is worse than I thought and other stuff is better. For instance I didn't get as low in the hole as I should have for squats, I know that now, and for deads I need to get my butt down more into the lift, but I didn't round out my back like I thought I was doing. And darn it all if I don't have some chicken legs...lol.

Squats are what I was most worried about with my jacked up knees and such, but overall I didn't have any issues. I was pretty high now looking at the vids, but I was able to get 265, 315, 365, 385, and 400 for a new PR. I wish I would have went down in the hole a bit more with that PR, but it would have also been nice to have some spotters to. I have never set the weight down on the safety pins and wasn't about to start today. In a perfect world...

Bench was something for some reason has been doing ok of late. I was able to get 225, 265, 295, 335 (new PR), and missed 355. I has the worst spotter in the world for the 335 PR, lol, I realize my very poor judgment now. Watch the video to see what I mean. I literally bounced his hands off my chest. Maybe it was his first spot, who knows... I had a good spotter at the 355 but just stalled halfway through. Not bad, just shows where my lifts are heading.

Deads were good all around. I REALLY wanted to pull 500 today, but that didn't happen sadly, I did get a new PR though and hope to pull 500 easy after my next cube cycle. I was able to get 405, 455, missed 505, and PR at 480. Just like bench I just stalled halfway through the pull. Plus my ipod died, lol. Not to mention the beast that was deadlifting 600+ next to me, haha.

Couple things I wonder about is if I had tested a week after or right after finishing the cycle how things would have went. As it was I took a rest week, then got sick so I had almost 2 weeks from finishing up the cube cycle to the test day. My ipod also died right before the 505 and 480 deadlifts, so had I been jamming who knows what could have happened. All in all its been a great 3 months with the cube method. I am lifting weights I did not think I could possible lift before, and I am healthy on top of it all. I know now what to work on, and areas to improve on in the future. Had a little fun putting this together, hope to have more jaw dropping lifts in the future, but we all gotta start somewhere.
Video from the day -- http://youtu.be/HADWWKKvKtA

GODSEY
05-28-13, 10:02 pm
Epic sunburn meets heavy squat day = an awesome time...once the shoulder numbness set it after the 6th set it was ok, but I really should have worn 2 shirts. On the up side, I really didnt care about any leg pain, haha...

Got 315 x 2 x 5 with about 4 sets build up to that. Kinda weird but it felt somewhat easy after the 400 on max day. Paired it along with some nice residual leg work. Gonna also be focused on doing 5-7 sets of quad extension the next 9 weeks. See if that will help build more leg mass along with the heavy squats.

GODSEY
06-03-13, 9:36 pm
Soooo, had an awesome ABC on Saturday. Best one to date, got to participate with some awesome people all day, learn a ton, and hit a few new PR and revisit some old ones. Cincybrent met up and Trebin and Amber all did the big three. It was hotter than anything in the gym that day, but overall I was happy with things. On squats it was my first time using a mono, gotta say I wasn't impressed, but maybe I need to give it another chance. I did get up to 375lb on squats, but failed on a 415. Should have stopped or only went up slower to my 400 max. On bench I played it safe and went up to 335 and stopped. Learned I am using too close a grip and also wrist wraps that are useless, lol. I learned a ton from Amber, I swear.

Deads are where things got weird. I was really hungry cause I missed my 500 lift the other week so we went up a plate and quarter till I was looking at 495. I pulled it good, got to the top, and sat back to lock it out, and that's when my left elbow went poppity pop and my bicep crawled up my arm a few inches. Saw and heard it happen, still makes me a little sick. Dropped the weight, bounced off my right shin pretty good, and turned to look. The expression on Amber and Mark's face really freaked me out, cause I knew something bad had happened. Funny thing is it didn't hurt, not when it happened or after. It just popped. It only hurts when I try to lift more than 10 lbs. So anyway that's when the fun stopped for the day. Had to take off before we went out for grub, really a bummer. I really did have a great ABC, it just ended on a sour note unfortunately. Grabbed a bag of ice and nursed that puppy all the way home. Iced it all the next day. Buddy of mine's dad is an orthopedic surgeon so as a favor got me in to see him today, got a same day MRI (which f-n SUCK, think of chalupa and me as the taco meat for 45 minutes) and set up surgery tomorrow to reattached my torn bicep tendon. I'm in good hands, just kinda bummed because I was progressing towards some big numbers. Makes me think that maybe that's sort of where my limit may be, idk...anywhooo, Ill do updates after the surgery, but probably on leg patrol if anything in the near future. That and rehab....blah, lol.

Bruiser
06-04-13, 6:55 am
Good luck on the surgery today. Keep us updated bro. We'll be thinking of ya.

Kowboy
06-04-13, 7:20 am
Good luck today and hell no that isn't your limit. Once you get back we will set up something and get Ambre again if we can and just make sure your form is spot on to not have to mess with tearing it again. I think your bicep was just too big and exploded.

Christman
06-04-13, 10:21 am
Good luck today, hope you're not out of the gym for very long with this.

tark
06-04-13, 6:27 pm
hope everything went well today aaron!! and like mark said you are no where near your potential yet!!

RedlegDbell
06-11-13, 1:15 am
Well I'm late to this party but I am subbed! I hope you have a quick recovery Aaron. Don't let that tear discourage you too much man. Bobby "Powerswitch" Fields has torn both of his biceps and we've all seen the crazy weight he is still pulling these days. Keep your head up!

GODSEY
08-27-13, 4:43 pm
So to say I have been off the grid would be an understatement, lol, but things sorta slowed down so thought I would post a bit. It’s all about recovery for me, at least for the next 6 months I would say. So to catch anyone up I tore my bicep (off the forearm) dead lifting on June 1st at a ABC event. I did get my new max at 485, but the ol body just couldn’t keep up. Had surgery on June 4th to reattach it and it was a on and off for the next two months. I did a little light leg workouts, some really light pushing movements, and a bit of cardio…ultimately just trying to not get fat or gain too much weight. There is a lot that goes along with not being able to lift and do what you love, and I found myself really just getting down looking and reading about something I couldn’t participate in. That being said it was probably best just to take a break from it all while I healed…

At the first of August I had my last Dr. visit and he cleared me to go back to legs and pushing movements. So for the last 3 weeks its been legs, shoulders, chest, and VERY light back/pulling days. Starting next month I will start to incorporate light curls and heavier and heavier back and pulling movements as things progress. Its hard cause I love to pull, and a healthy back helps so much with all the other lifts. My arm still hurts pretty good after pulling days and also how much intensity I use. For me its just about getting all my other lifts back up to semi-respectable numbers. This is my 3rd week back with generally good stats so far. I am back on with squats up to 285 for reps, really focusing on going deeper with less weight. For chest I was back hitting 225 for reps on flat bench, but some of the crossover and pec deck stuff I have to go light with the arm. Shoulders is all about pushing, so getting back to some of the free weights is going to be interesting. Lots of smith machine and machines with this body part. I love to kill traps, but that is going to be a while, lol. Overall more slow on reps and greater mind muscle connection is what I am looking for.

All of this has really made me take a hard look at my training, what I want to do, what I lost and will need to gain back in the next 6 months, and what I can really handle. The doc says that back to the same ol stuff will more than likely mean me tearing the other bicep, and I definitely don’t what that to happen. I mean I saw some incredible jumps in max lifts and technique with using the cube method, and I really love it still. I just dont know if genetically my body can keep up with some of those poundages, and definitly moving up in weight that quickly has its drawbacks. If I have learned anything about lifting at all its that time is your friend, and it takes time for good quality stuff to be built. I will be back to my old numbers, it just may take a while and I will be smarter about it the second time around.

Anyway, good to post back in here, but for the next few months I don’t think I will post any workouts that are incredible or anything, its all just about healing and getting better. Oh, and not getting fat, hahaha…

Christman
08-27-13, 4:57 pm
It's great to hear that you are healing well. Definitely take your time and don't overdo it man, last thing you need or want would be to blow out that other arm.

RedlegDbell
08-28-13, 10:30 am
Glad you are on the mend Aaron. Hang in there man.

GODSEY
08-28-13, 12:02 pm
Thanks guys, yeah definitly taking it slow for the recovery areas.

Legs are all kinda sore after a killer workout on Monday, got some new sups and they are doing their job to hit those late day workouts. Trying to do a bit more cardio too since I cant fully have a pulling or arm day yet. Down to about 233 as of today. Would love to hit 225 in the next month if I can keep the diet in check, at the same time get back to somewhat respectable lifts. Good to be back... :)