PDA

View Full Version : Too Many Sets?

TufffGuY
03-11-07, 3:12 pm
bros how many sets do you guys do for each bodypart, cause some people have been tellin me i've been doing too many sets

TufffGuY
03-11-07, 3:16 pm
also when im dieting should i lessen the amount of sets

TheNaturalG
03-11-07, 3:17 pm
bros how many sets do you guys do for each bodypart, cause some people have been tellin me i've been doing too many sets

It depends on alot of things to know how many sets to do for each body part. If you never go to failure, never do negatives, never do forced reps, never do drop sets, never do supersets, and don't workout each body part very frequently you will be able to do alot of sets. If you start factoring some of those things in the amount of sets your body will be able to handle will start to decrease. I did not even mention the intensity of each set which plays a big role in how many sets you can do for that body part. Your diet and how much sleep you get also plays a very big role.

TheNaturalG
03-11-07, 3:20 pm
When your dieting your body is getting less nutrients to help you recover from workouts so I would say yes, you should do less sets.

Your 1st question though is really something that has to be figured out on your own. If I did 20 sets a body part I would overtrain because of the intensity I would do it at. Meanwhile someone else may do 20 sets per body part and be fine.

Torque757
03-11-07, 3:25 pm
I think alot of it has to do with mind muscle connection(nuerological). The longer youve been in the game, more developed it becomes. The more developed it becomes, the more fibers can be activated at once, and the less sets you need to fully work a muscle. This is regardless of how serious or intensely you train, it only comes with time.

Also, everyBODY is different. Some will respond better than other to higher volume. But, typically, the longer you have lifted the less volume youll need.

TheNaturalG
03-11-07, 3:28 pm
I think alot of it has to do with mind muscle connection(nuerological). The longer youve been in the game, more developed it becomes. The more developed it becomes, the more fibers can be activated at once, and the less sets you need to fully work a muscle. This is regardless of how serious or intensely you train, it only comes with time.

Also, everyBODY is different. Some will respond better than other to higher volume. But, typically, the longer you have lifted the less volume youll need.

That is a very good point Torque.

TufffGuY
03-11-07, 3:38 pm
right now im bulking and i get around 8 hours of sleep a night and each bodypart gets worked twice a week and i usually take evry set to failure

TufffGuY
03-11-07, 4:09 pm
also im taking in around 5000+ claories a day

Pain78
03-11-07, 4:32 pm
Hey man, just listen to your body. You know the difference from good sore to bad sore; losing too much weight, not gaining size. The mirror is your best friend. People today get way too scientific. It all depends on your body and what works for you.

SomeDayI'llBeXL
03-11-07, 5:54 pm
Solid input Pain, I totally agree with you. If you look around the forum, everyone is different. I know one of the Watchmen trains DC style, so there arent alot of sets there, but the sets he does do are extremely intense. I usually only do about 6 sets for small groups and between 8 and 10 for large groups. Then there are people on here who train with upwards of 20 sets. Its all about what works for ya. If you are making good gains with what you do now, keep at it and dont worry about what other people do.

Good Luck Brother

Gainer65
03-11-07, 6:11 pm
What works for me is,9-12 sets for major body parts,and no more than 6 sets for minor.Find out what works best for you.

Ironpsycho
03-11-07, 9:38 pm
yeah def listen to your body and try all kinds personally i never have a workout under 20 sets per bodypart. intensity or insanity

TylerC
03-11-07, 10:00 pm
you can't overtrain, only under-recuperate (lol spell?)

I never do less than 20-30 sets per bodypart. For me it's easy to crank out 30 sets on triceps or biceps. Shoot I've even done 80-100 for back or legs. Am I overtraining? Haha, my deadlift has more than doubled, i see new details in my back daily, and my legs are growing like weeds. Like others say, listen to your body, you will know when your under-recuperating.

TufffGuY
03-11-07, 10:26 pm
i'd like to see some pictures proving that bro, post some up for us too see

BigAnt
03-11-07, 10:39 pm
also im taking in around 5000+ claories a day

Hey;

I am straight talking here...5,000 calories a day...not calling you a liar, but I bet you are only eating half that...please list your foods! Some days I struggle with 4,500 calories with work-time schedules...

And training EVERY SET to failure...well, let's be honest okay, we are here to help! Either you train in more volume (longer time frame) or very intense...IT IS IMPOSSIBLE TO DO BOTH. The central nervous system will not handle it!

Please list your current workout routine and we will go over it...sound good?

And remember, if you hold a 12 ounce glass of water out in a down pour of rain, it will only hold 12 ounces, no matter how long it stays in the rain...

TheNaturalG
03-11-07, 10:51 pm
Hey;

I am straight talking here...5,000 calories a day...not calling you a liar, but I bet you are only eating half that...please list your foods! Some days I struggle with 4,500 calories with work-time schedules...

And training EVERY SET to failure...well, let's be honest okay, we are here to help! Either you train in more volume (longer time frame) or very intense...IT IS IMPOSSIBLE TO DO BOTH. The central nervous system will not handle it!

And remember, if you hold a 12 ounce glass of water out in a down pour of rain, it will only hold 12 ounces, no matter how long it stays in the rain...

Great post. I was gonna say something about the 5000 calories also. If you are asking about how nany sets is to much I highly doubt you are at such an advanced point that you are taking in 5000+ calories a day.

Tyler C, 80-100 sets for back and legs seems pretty insane and I am not saying in a good animalistic way. I am saying in the literal meaning of insanity way.

TufffGuY
03-11-07, 10:58 pm
lol ok well first off my diet is "I see it, I eat it", i have a really high metabolism so i can eat wahtever i want i usaully try to eat a lot of meat 4-5 a day. Its really not that hard to get in 5000 calories a day, Kevin Nee of WSM gets in around 9000 so you can see that its not impossible. Heres my training

MON:
Bench 4x6( this changes weekly)
incline 3x8 or 6
Cleans 3x5
Lateral fly or Miltiary 3x8or10
Kickbacks 3x10

TUES:
BACk Squat 4x6(this changes weekly)
SLDL 3x8or10
RDL 3x10
BENT ROW 3x10or8
REVERSE FLY 3x10
Curl 3x10

WED:
BENch(same as Monday)
Incline DB press 3x8
Hang Cleans 3x5
LAT fly or Miltar press 3x10
tricep dips 3x10

THURS:
Back Squats(same as tues)
FRONT squats 2x8
SLDL 3x8or10
Step ups 3x10(each leg)
DB row 3x8
Curl 3x10

FRIDAY: ( same as monday)

BigAnt
03-11-07, 11:00 pm
lol ok well first off my diet is "I see it, I eat it", i have a really high metabolism so i can eat wahtever i want i usaully try to eat a lot of meat 4-5 a day. Its really not that hard to get in 5000 calories a day, Kevin Nee of WSM gets in around 9000 so you can see that its not impossible. Heres my training

MON:
incline 3x8 or 6
Cleans 3x5
Kickbacks 3x10

TUES:
SLDL 3x8or10
RDL 3x10
BENT ROW 3x10or8
REVERSE FLY 3x10
Curl 3x10

WED:
BENch(same as Monday)
Incline DB press 3x8
Hang Cleans 3x5
tricep dips 3x10

THURS:
FRONT squats 2x8
SLDL 3x8or10
Step ups 3x10(each leg)
DB row 3x8
Curl 3x10

A big BS on 9,000 calories a day!

TufffGuY
03-11-07, 11:01 pm
A big BS on 9,000 calories a day!

why you say that? If you eat ALOT in each serving and you eat 6-7 times a day you can do that

BigAnt
03-11-07, 11:04 pm

MON:
incline 3x8 or 6
Cleans 3x5
Kickbacks 3x10

TUES:
SLDL 3x8or10
RDL 3x10
BENT ROW 3x10or8
REVERSE FLY 3x10
Curl 3x10

WED:
BENch(same as Monday)
Incline DB press 3x8
Hang Cleans 3x5
tricep dips 3x10

THURS:
FRONT squats 2x8
SLDL 3x8or10
Step ups 3x10(each leg)
DB row 3x8
Curl 3x10

why do you train your chest 3x a week and with 2 movements when the back is a bigger body part and it receives only 1 exercse on thurs?

who gave you this program?

what are your goals?

TufffGuY
03-11-07, 11:12 pm
its a strength trainign program at school i signed up for it because my friends were in it and i thought it would be cool, but it sucks, i go to the gym after school and do some extra sets but i think im starting to overtrain so im layin off that, i just have to wait till schools over to startt my own program.

TufffGuY
03-11-07, 11:13 pm
i want to get my squat up and work on my calves cause they blow their defined but they lack mass, also my biceps could use some size

BigAnt
03-11-07, 11:16 pm
its a strength trainign program at school i signed up for it because my friends were in it and i thought it would be cool, but it sucks, i go to the gym after school and do some extra sets but i think im starting to overtrain so im layin off that, i just have to wait till schools over to startt my own program.

think you are over training....good thinking!

if your goal is for football stay with it...skip the gym afterwards...

ask your coach-trainer specific questions about the program, use the internet, find out what other schools are doing in the weight room for football...

TufffGuY
03-11-07, 11:18 pm
im not playin football bro and the program sucks ass, as you can see thats not the original program i aded some things im just tryin to make it work till summer

also waht should i do for my biceps, like on what days, and how many sets

Wobbly knees
03-11-07, 11:27 pm
It depends on what your trainin for...strength or size. For strength you wanna up the sets and lower reps and for size you wanna get in a good three or four sets of 8 to 12 FOR EACH EXERCISE. If you want it all try "straight sets". Take four exercises for each body area and do four sets for each exercise. Set 1 has 10 reps set two has 8 reps and sets 3 and 4 have 6 reps. for example if ur workin legs; (start wit squat because it is the most compound exercise that works many areas)

1.) Squat: 2.) Deadlift Do the same pattern for a total of 4
Set 1: 10 reps Set 1: 10 reps exercises
Set 2: 8 reps Set 2: 8 reps
Set 3: 6 reps Set 3: 6 reps
Set 4: 6 reps Set 4: 6 reps
Minimal rest Minimal rest

karmazon
03-11-07, 11:30 pm
I never count my sets and I go by how I feel. Sometimes I will do around 9 sets per bodypart, sometimes I will do over 50.

stumblin54
03-11-07, 11:34 pm
Haha I also call BS on 9,000 cals a day. That's a shit ton, and I know that Mariusz Pudzianowski literally eats everything he sees and doesn't eat that much. 5,000 though, is believable, but only if you really are eating everything you see. Good luck with your goals Tufffguy Peace.

Stumblin

king1
03-12-07, 2:45 am
5,000 calories is deffinitaly possible, but not on clean diet. With 1 or 2 large shakes added to an already big diet its totaly do-able

karmazon
03-12-07, 2:52 am
5,000 calories is deffinitaly possible, but not on clean diet. With 1 or 2 large shakes added to an already big diet its totaly do-able

Definitely possible with a clean diet. BB.com member "hola bola" gets that much on a clean bulk.

Kiwi129
03-12-07, 5:50 pm
Wow that's a weirdly put together workout. Take some of everyone's advice and change it. And please don't listen to TylerC... 20-30 sets for bis/tris and 80-100 on back is fuckin retarded and obviously so is he. Don't do that please I beg you...

IronLeague
03-12-07, 8:53 pm
Some of the shit I read on here cracks me up... This forum is all about learning, and helping fellow Bodybuilders/Powerlifters out. Who the hell is going to benefit from a BS made up training session of 80-100 reps...or 30 reps for biceps..

If you're going to claim 5,000 plus calories, please post what you're eating.. Saying that you eat "everything in sight" doesn't tell me shit. Twinkies and candy bars? 5,000 cals is very possible, but it takes alot of food if you're not including mass shakes. You're only bullshitting yourselves guys, let's try to keep it honest so we can all benefit from quality information.

Respect,
IronLeague

TylerC
03-12-07, 9:51 pm
Hey yall (Southern accent kickin in) I didn't mean to start anything. I was just merely answering the question "how many sets do you do?". Just because I do it doesn't mean I'm telling everybody to do it. Do what works for you. My advice was just "listen to your body", not to copy me. Am I insane? Probably, who knows. Didn't mean to cause an uproar here, my bad. Leave the junk talk to PM's IMO :P

IronLeague
03-13-07, 1:58 am
"Am I insane?" you ask.... Nah you're not, you're just trying too hard to come off as a bad ass.. You're 16, I have to see a picture of these wheels you're sporting that bang out 100 sets for legs.. I don't usually call anybody out, I usually don't care enough....but with this kind of stupid crap, I'm gonna have to. Sorry bro.

Respect,
IronLeague

Kiwi129
03-13-07, 4:12 pm
Exactly. If you're too fuckin stubborn to take it from me listen to him because he knows his shit. Me and TylerC have been exchanging rotten PMs about this and he just won't fuckin listen. Your gonna end up getting smaller from doing that shit bro, and you are trying too much to be a hardass. And I told you someone else would call you out on the being young thing too. Just stop being dumb.

k1usa
03-13-07, 4:26 pm
Hey;

the BigAnt knows this game so well...I agree...5000 cal a day is a ton..try it...and its just enough to get in maybe 4000 cal a day...and thats pushng it.

razo.
11-24-08, 3:12 pm
shit. ok basically me and my friend (both 15 years old) work out but i can do a ridiculouse amount of sets ( or at least it seams to me) while my bro can only do about 4 MAX on any given muscle group. For example yesterday i did 8+ bicept sets over the course of a half hour. My intensity is through the roof, i make sure every single rep counts (8-10) and the last one usually causes complete muscle failure. After each set i rest for like 3 min and get to work on my next one, but its like i didnt even work it out at all, my bi's just seam more pumped full of blood and i cant flex them cus they are already rock hard. Idk it feels like a good fucking workout but my bro thinks im overtraining.

Any Ideas? thanks guys

Ir0nClad
11-24-08, 4:53 pm
For smaller muslces I do between 9 -10 sets, and for larger muscles I do between 12 - 13 sets. 2- 3 exercises for the smaller muslces, and 3 - 4 exercises for the larger muscles. Im on a bulk right now and Im probably putting in about 3,000 calories, maybe a little more. Im only 5 8 and 165 so that amount of food is pretty good for me.

Factory
11-25-08, 1:25 pm
I figured out I do about 30 sets, much less on arm days, some more on leg / back days

I'm eating between 6 and 9k cals a day. and I train almost every day. Just the way my body works.

K52490
12-21-09, 10:00 am
Hey guys! Need some info. I am using one of the animal workouts, http://www.animalpak.com/html/article_details.cfm?ID=46&section=training%0A. Just wondering if I should increase my reps or stay with the program? Now for biceps I've heard you should do as many reps that you can do with Barbel and Close EZ Bar Curls, is this really true?

theharjmann
12-21-09, 10:05 am
Hey guys! Need some info. I am using one of the animal workouts, http://www.animalpak.com/html/article_details.cfm?ID=46&section=training%0A. Just wondering if I should increase my reps or stay with the program? Now for biceps I've heard you should do as many reps that you can do with Barbel and Close EZ Bar Curls, is this really true?

just lift to failure

mritter3
12-21-09, 10:11 am
id stick with the training routine already set for ya...as for biceps you can do that although i wouldnt only do those 2 exercises, otherwise your not hitting all the areas of your biceps, do your bb curls your preacher curls, hammer and pinwheels, mix up the rep ranges and the weights...thats it.

J-Dawg
12-21-09, 10:27 am
When following the program, I'd suggest worrying more about going to failure on each set with weights that will cause you to go to failure in the suggested rep range. Don't worry about adding further sets until you have experienced true failure with heavier weight. The key is quality over quantity of sets. Believe me, when you truly hit failure with quality sets, you'll not want to add more sets.

xinudio
12-21-09, 1:23 pm
hey,

i don't want to get in a discussion of fire up things but i just been reading this thread and apparently people don't believe in 20 reps for biceps.

I been trying alot myself with biceps and with 6 they would shrink no matter what intensity and burn i had. With +20 i had good results and now with 12-18 sets i'm getting best results and growing alot.

I can understand that everybody is different and mainly 6-8 sets would be more then enough normally, but just sometimes its possible some people need other sets/reps counts for certain muscles.

xin

JUGGERNAUT
12-21-09, 1:32 pm
I like a lot of sets.

http://forum.animalpak.com/showthread.php?t=21308

In Flames
12-21-09, 1:35 pm
Anyone ever try Pro Serge Nubret's workout style? He did tons of sets with super short rest periods, trying to pump as much blood into the muscle as fast as possible. Basically his workout was strength training and cardio combined as one. That's why a lot of the Golden Era guys never did cardio.

Example of Serge's Chest workout posted by him self. 30 seconds MAX between sets.

8 x 12 Flat Bench
6 x 12 Flat Fly's
6 x 12 Incline Bench
6 x 12 Incline Fly's
6 x 12 Barbell Pullovers

Can't argue with his results, he has one of the most pleasing/athletic looking physique out of any Pro.

http://bodybuilding.ericsgym.com/trainingarticles/images/serge_nubret.jpg

BionicMasterPiece
12-21-09, 2:55 pm

its depends how hard you are training, everyone is different

NaturalTrainee
01-02-10, 2:35 pm
Anyone ever try Pro Serge Nubret's workout style? He did tons of sets with super short rest periods, trying to pump as much blood into the muscle as fast as possible. Basically his workout was strength training and cardio combined as one. That's why a lot of the Golden Era guys never did cardio.

Example of Serge's Chest workout posted by him self. 30 seconds MAX between sets.

8 x 12 Flat Bench
6 x 12 Flat Fly's
6 x 12 Incline Bench
6 x 12 Incline Fly's
6 x 12 Barbell Pullovers

Can't argue with his results, he has one of the most pleasing/athletic looking physique out of any Pro.

http://bodybuilding.ericsgym.com/trainingarticles/images/serge_nubret.jpg

How many drugs did he use? Don't confuse athlets with pro's. This program is on the fast trac to overtraining.

BionicMasterPiece
01-02-10, 3:04 pm
How many drugs did he use? Don't confuse athlets with pro's. This program is on the fast trac to overtraining.

We are all human brother.

The_Legacy
01-02-10, 5:37 pm
Looks like a massive workout, but some people can handle that shit.