PDA

View Full Version : 5/3/1 Trend

DEADn
09-19-12, 11:02 am
In my lurkings on the net I have been noticing the 5/3/1 method gaining traction. I have been using it for the past several months simply because I am transitioning from Bodybuilding method to more strength training and this happened upon my lap. Yet, 5/3/1 seems to be getting 'Trendy' and I am wondering how long this wave is going to last before someone comes up with the next trendy thing.

Maybe this post is just a rant on my part, I don't know but this is a short synopsis of what I am seeing and feeling. Before this I was trying to do DC training by my body is not equipped for that kind of damage - yet.

John

warg
09-19-12, 11:05 am
I think so too, but if it is trendy to lift heavy ass weights then I think it is all good.

DEADn
09-19-12, 11:32 am
It is usually more trendy to lift high volume to fill the muscles so that they are big as balloons because it becomes all about the look in the end. I pushed myself in that direction for quite a while and came to the hard reality that there is no strength behind it and only a temporary look so I transitioned to strength training with a little volume behind it. I would rather have strength push up my size then size push up my size. Strength usually last longer. Volume is like a balloon, full of air which goes away in a short period of time.

I might also add that 5/3/1 could be a stepping stone for me to go into powerlifting. All I know for now I am I focused on greater and greater strength and 5/3/1 is my gradual, supposedly injury free, way to a greater point.

ghost
09-19-12, 12:09 pm
5/3/1 is no trend. its a no-bullshit, simple, training method. definitely NOT a trend. it has been around for a few years now, i believe, and is not just now "gaining momentum." it exploded right away because of how awesome, and simple it truly is.

World Eater
09-19-12, 1:20 pm
5/3/1 is no trend. its a no-bullshit, simple, training method. definitely NOT a trend. it has been around for a few years now, i believe, and is not just now "gaining momentum." it exploded right away because of how awesome, and simple it truly is.
!!!

It's popular because it's killer and it works.

DEADn
09-19-12, 3:03 pm
But don't all trends 'work' and then as time goes by someone gets tired of it and switches to something else because somehow it stopped working? I have asked myself this question. I planned on doing it until the end of the year BUT if I find it has me on the continual climb up the weight I would seemingly be foolish to quit. One of my initial goals is to hit 200lbs for 10 reps on the bench. Monday I hit 190lb for 5 reps which is a PR for me. Probably means 200lbs is about 1-2 reps.

btw, I noticed that Jim has a shirt that advertizes the 5/3/1 method. It says 'you have been lied to'. I wonder if anyone has purchased that thing? Is it a black shirt with red lettering.

IronWilson
09-19-12, 5:26 pm
5/3/1 isn't a trend simply because it gives you a loose template that you can tailor to your needs to address your weaknesses. It's not like it tells you specific exercises to do based on one guy's experiences, like that BossHogg routine everyone was doing a while ago. Those fade away after the initial excitement dies down.

Aggression
09-19-12, 5:27 pm
Jim Wendler won't let 5/3/1 become trendy.

DEADn
09-19-12, 5:43 pm
Jim Wendler won't let 5/3/1 become trendy.

How would that happen?

BigChrisF
09-19-12, 9:17 pm
How would that happen?

Travel the countryside punching douchebags that try to make it trendy?

Appollonian
09-19-12, 9:24 pm
Does it bother you if it becomes trendy?

TigerAce01
09-19-12, 9:58 pm
If becoming strong in the simplest way possible is trendy...then maybe the world is improving.

-Ace

Aggression
09-20-12, 8:57 am
Travel the countryside punching douchebags that try to make it trendy?

I can see Wendler doing that ...

Aggression
09-20-12, 8:59 am
http://youtu.be/f8Vo5a_W9Oc

DEADn
09-20-12, 4:43 pm
Does it bother you if it becomes trendy?

Tough question because I started this 5/3/1 thing before I started seeing it blow up on various boards. I think what would bother me is to read people speaking about it out of their emotions on it rather than speaking intelligently about the program. It is that part of 'trendy' that would turn me off and I would seek intelligent conversation on the program. Does that make sense?

Appollonian
09-20-12, 5:06 pm
Tough question because I started this 5/3/1 thing before I started seeing it blow up on various boards. I think what would bother me is to read people speaking about it out of their emotions on it rather than speaking intelligently about the program. It is that part of 'trendy' that would turn me off and I would seek intelligent conversation on the program. Does that make sense?

I think I so where you are coming from.

For me I use/do something's that are very trendy, and people are fanatical about some of the things I do, but for me all that matters is does it work for me, and if I can say yes, great. If it helps others too and they get excited about it, that's fine with me too, it doesn't cheapen my experience that they enjoy it too.

mritter3
09-20-12, 6:32 pm

Agreed it ain't going anywhere it's got so many different variations...def legit!!