PDA

View Full Version : Uh Oh! Wide Stance Squatting is BETTER than Close Stance?

Altered Beast
09-20-12, 12:21 pm
Well well well. Here we go again!

Not only does Wide Stance Squatting recruit far more muscle and glute activation in the hole, it also has the SAME amount of activation in the quadriceps as close stance squatting does. It's also far safer on the spine and lumbars!

Who would have thunk it?

http://articles.elitefts.com/training-articles/a-case-for-wide-squats/

*Read the whole article before any emotional knee jerk reactions, PLEASE!

"Squatting to target that perfect tear drop vastus medialis is a waste. Use a squat stance that builds a better body all around. Spread your stance out, open up your hips, and train the movement fully. Don’t rely on feel. Use science to gain strength and size."

Aggression
09-20-12, 12:23 pm
Once I made the transition into competitive powerlifting, I started going wider (outside shoulder width) and I've felt more comfortable and have had better progress.

JasonG
09-20-12, 12:26 pm
I read the same thing from another source recently as well. I opened up my stance some and I like how it feels. Definitely have more power.

ChadO
09-20-12, 12:34 pm
I've always done squats with stance a little wider than shoulder width. Never really felt comfortable with the close stance, always felt like I was going to tip over when the weight was heavy

Altered Beast
09-20-12, 1:35 pm
Once I made the transition into competitive powerlifting, I started going wider (outside shoulder width) and I've felt more comfortable and have had better progress.

We agree on something! LOL!

Glad to hear it.

I read the same thing from another source recently as well. I opened up my stance some and I like how it feels. Definitely have more power.

That's what its all about!

I've always done squats with stance a little wider than shoulder width. Never really felt comfortable with the close stance, always felt like I was going to tip over when the weight was heavy

You're smarter than most!

Seath308
09-20-12, 1:44 pm
9 out of 13 of the 900 pound Raw Squatters were close stance squatters.

MRmichael.hooker
09-20-12, 1:46 pm

Lol, i'm waiting for the "they didn't know what they were doing!" response

Appollonian
09-20-12, 1:49 pm

Ben, what's your thoughts? I used to go really narrow, but feel better about shoulder width or slightly wider.

ajoaks
09-20-12, 1:53 pm
This was an issue with my football team's strength training program. Our coaches would count our squat if our stance was outside of our shoulders. Their reasoning behind it did make sense though from a performance standpoint, they said that you don't run with our feet outside our shoulders so they wanted us to strengthen our legs in the way we ideally would use them in game situations. Now since then, I have noticed that taking a wider stance is a lot less stressful on the knees and does feel like I get a lot more work out of my entire lower body.

Seath308
09-20-12, 1:55 pm
Ben, what's your thoughts? I used to go really narrow, but feel better about shoulder width or slightly wider.

Chad Smith (Elite FTS Athlete JTS Training system founder) is a 900 pound Raw squarer and he squats more narrow than me. He tried to move his stance out but decided to just stay narrow.

Your body is built for either a close stance or a wide stance I'm obviously a close stance squatter on account of my quads are my strongest body part. There is no right or wrong stance. Unless you are a gear whore then yes squat wide so then you can get some more poundage out of your gear..... Ps Fuck geared lifting ...

Appollonian
09-20-12, 2:05 pm
Chad Smith (Elite FTS Athlete JTS Training system founder) is a 900 pound Raw squarer and he squats more narrow than me. He tried to move his stance out but decided to just stay narrow.

Your body is built for either a close stance or a wide stance I'm obviously a close stance squatter on account of my quads are my strongest body part. There is no right or wrong stance. Unless you are a gear whore then yes squat wide so then you can get some more poundage out of your gear..... Ps Fuck geared lifting ...

Thank you for the informative reply. I like the feeling I get in my quads doing narrow, but have found I have more power at about shoulder width.

N. Motta
09-20-12, 2:51 pm
And the Forvms newest purveyor of debate is.......

Big Wides
09-20-12, 3:01 pm
This is a good subject to talk about. I am a mid-wide squatter, meaning that I don't have a close stance but I'm not at the point where there are 5 feet between my heels when I squat. It's a basic athletic stance that I squat because for years I was a shot putter/hammer/discus thrower so having power in a wide position did not work for me to get the most of out a throw, so I had an atheletic stance when squatting for carryover. Like Seath said, it's all preference and how your body adapts to weight.

Same thing goes for bench, some have lots of power in a wide set up, while others have greater strength closer in. It all depends the best way for you to move weight from A to B

J-Dawg
09-20-12, 3:21 pm
This is a good subject to talk about. I am a mid-wide squatter, meaning that I don't have a close stance but I'm not at the point where there are 5 feet between my heels when I squat. It's a basic athletic stance that I squat because for years I was a shot putter/hammer/discus thrower so having power in a wide position did not work for me to get the most of out a throw, so I had an atheletic stance when squatting for carryover. Like Seath said, it's all preference and how your body adapts to weight.

Same thing goes for bench, some have lots of power in a wide set up, while others have greater strength closer in. It all depends the best way for you to move weight from A to B

I agree. A previous discussion helped me realize that I needed to test out different stances to see where I felt strongest. Not everyone has the same genetic makeup so it's best to experiment and see what stance is best. But in the end, go with what stance you feel strongest with.

Altered Beast
09-20-12, 3:25 pm

Thank you for completely illustrating my point ya big goofy young pinko FOCKER =)

Raw lifting is gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay. Not the word "RAW", sounds flaming.

And the Forvms newest purveyor of debate is.......

You're getting gayer with every comment posted on one of my threads, but that's ok! I don't judge.

WOW! Some intelligent commentary for a change! I like it!

Altered Beast
09-20-12, 3:26 pm
*Read the whole article before any emotional knee jerk reactions, PLEASE!

"Squatting to target that perfect tear drop vastus medialis is a waste. Use a squat stance that builds a better body all around. Spread your stance out, open up your hips, and train the movement fully. Don’t rely on feel. Use science to gain strength and size."

Hmmmmm.....

MRmichael.hooker
09-20-12, 3:37 pm
alright Pantera, you need to chill out before you get warned by someone. You're starting to get to the 'crossing the line' point

Altered Beast
09-20-12, 3:38 pm
alright Pantera, you need to chill out before you get warned by someone. You're starting to get to the 'crossing the line' point

Hook, you're no fun anymore =|

MRmichael.hooker
09-20-12, 3:42 pm
Hook, you're no fun anymore =|

Yeah I am, im still badass lol. Just trying to look out for ya man, some of your comments you might not realize, but they are getting some guys annoyed. Just letting your know before a watchman says something

Altered Beast
09-20-12, 3:46 pm
Yeah I am, im still badass lol. Just trying to look out for ya man, some of your comments you might not realize, but they are getting some guys annoyed. Just letting your know before a watchman says something

Understood.

I've got to remember the day and age we live in.

Aggression
09-20-12, 4:38 pm
Understood.

I've got to remember the day and age we live in.

I've received 'reported thread' notifications b/c of some of the things you've said in here. Watch the types of words you use. You've been warned before. And here we are again. I know you're a passionate dude. We all understand that. Just keep things in perspective and reread your posts before you click 'submit reply'. We won't have this conversation again. You've grown on me. But it can't come in between me and my duties as a MOD for this forum. If you know anything about me, I don't play favorites.

BigChrisF
09-20-12, 5:37 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpWRuthmIdY

It may be a difference in how the term is applied, but I wouldn't call that a narrow stance.

Seath308
09-21-12, 5:19 am

It may be a difference in how the term is applied, but I wouldn't call that a narrow stance.

I was referring to his 800 and 865 squats. I counted Chad as one of the wide stance 900 pound squatters. After he hit 905 wide stance he talked about switching back to narrow because of tightness in hip flexors. Like I said there is no right or Wrong stance. Everybody just make sure they hit depth Ive seen way to many high squats lately! Big ChrisF can SINK his single ply squats.... Learn people... You know who you are ;-)

Altered Beast
09-21-12, 9:45 am
I've received 'reported thread' notifications b/c of some of the things you've said in here. Watch the types of words you use. You've been warned before. And here we are again. I know you're a passionate dude. We all understand that. Just keep things in perspective and reread your posts before you click 'submit reply'. We won't have this conversation again. You've grown on me. But it can't come in between me and my duties as a MOD for this forum. If you know anything about me, I don't play favorites.

Is there a way I could block particular people from seeing my posts? I know exactly who reported me.

Neither would I. Don't bother, too many knee jerk reactions without logical reasoning behind it.

We can no longer have debates in this country, too many people get their precious, special little feelings hurt!

I was referring to his 800 and 865 squats. I counted Chad as one of the wide stance 900 pound squatters. After he hit 905 wide stance he talked about switching back to narrow because of tightness in hip flexors. Like I said there is no right or Wrong stance. Everybody just make sure they hit depth Ive seen way to many high squats lately! Big ChrisF can SINK his single ply squats.... Learn people... You know who you are ;-)

LOL! Not all of us are genetic strength mutants, some of us have to work a bit harder.

You are welcome to come down to Houston and learn from a real lifter, that is, if you can hang and are ok with high heat and humidity =)

Aggression
09-21-12, 10:03 am
Is there a way I could block particular people from seeing my posts? I know exactly who reported me.

No. You cannot block particular people from seeing your posts. You'll have to watch what you say and the words you use on this Forvm.

See the following

2) Leave Your Ego At The Door ...
ILS... ELS... Lifters cheating with more weight than they can rightly handle... We've all seen it out there. Hubris? Insecurity? Who knows why and who fucking cares. It's not our place to judge. Live and let live. In here, we don't need any of that. We don't need the egos or the attitudes... We don't need to hear how you're better than everyone else in your gym, how you're more hardcore. There is always someone bigger and stronger than you... In here, we expect humility and respect... We expect an atmosphere of support and positive thinking. In here, the underdog will have his day. Cuz in the end, the only person that matters, the only one you need to impress, is the one looking back at you in the mirror.

6) Expressing Yourself...
Shit, we all got something to say... We all want to get our points across. How? Through the "clever" use of emoticons? Yeah, right... By using an image as a "witty" or "humorous" response to a post? Fuck that... Here, there are only two ways to express yourself. First and foremost, through well-reasoned and informed posts. Second, through your signature. If you elect to use a "sig", use it wisely. Use it to express yourself, to share a vital insight into your your philosophy, to point to your training log here in the F O R V M. Sigs are most certainly not for posting links to other sites, commercial or otherwise. This is a bodybuilding site run by Animal. It's not for you to promote your personal "agenda" whatever that might be. You also won't be allowed to post in color, make fancy pictures out of words, or promote anything other than yourself--unless you have specific, express permission from Management. Break these rules, and your sig will be automatically removed or modified. Bottom line, wanna make a name for yourself here? Get your weight and stats up and be a solid member.

11) Be Above The Fray...
You're hardcore... Great. You're bigger than that kid training in your gym. Super. You're stronger than anyone in the room... Fantastic. So what? There's always gonna be someone bigger, stronger and more hardcore than you. So there's no need for you to post your exploits about you showed someone up here. No need to rub it in the faces of other members. We're all here to help one another become better individuals. Be yourself. If that chip on the shoulder, that attitude, is what defined the true Animal, then The Pros here would look down on the rest of us with nothing but scorn and disgust... Yet they do not. They are here and they help. They are here and they support. They are here and they are role models for the rest of us. Being an Animal is about showing respect and humility. We are ambassadors of this great sport and we are role models. We do not want to become a negative bodybuilding stereotype. So, posts that ask this kind of question, "I'm more hardcore than you because..." or "I'm more Animal than you because..." will be locked and deleted. This place is not for chest thumpers or bellowers. It's not for you to prove how tough you are. If someone in your gym annoys you, ignore it. If someone here irritates you, move on. You're better than that. It's also not the place for you to vent or whine about how hard life is. Life is fucking hard. Yeah, so get over it. Complaining ain't gonna get you anywhere. If you want to vent, do it elsewhere, or take it to PMs, but don't clutter up the FORVM with it.

12) Debating vs. Arguing
As many of you know from your time here, the FORVM is unlike any other. It's a supportive community of like-minded lifters who are serious about achieving their goals. But a community is not strong when dissenting opinions are stifled. We are individuals and we all bring a unique perspective to the table. We all want lively discussions as well as a passionate exchange of ideas. That said, we believe there's a right way and a wrong way to express opinions. You can present your ideas in a forceful, well-thought, and persuasive way, and back them up without insulting others. When done respectfully and rationally--like adults--it's "debating". This is what we encourage and like to see here. Arguing is when you start slinging insults and resort to name calling. When discussion devolves into schoolyard bickering. This is something that's best left for children. This is the F O R V M, not the playground. We want intelligent, rational debates. We don't want petty arguments or posts where members are in it just for the sake of winning. It ain't a pissing contest. Win, lose, who the fuck cares? It's all about furthering our knowledge and understanding, and not about ego. Realizing the difference between "debating" and "arguing" is what will set us apart from the rest and make the FORVM stronger. See also Rules #2 and #4.

Seath308
09-21-12, 10:07 am
LOL! Not all of us are genetic strength mutants, some of us have to work a bit harder.

You are welcome to come down to Houston and learn from a real lifter, that is, if you can hang and are ok with high heat and humidity =)

Yes, blame it on genetics. Lol sorry I'm naturally superior to you.

Your gym? Real lifters? Bahahahah I've seen the guys from your gym .... the ones assist all of your "PR's" lol not impressed.

Altered Beast
09-21-12, 10:10 am
Yes, blame it on genetics. Lol sorry I'm naturally superior to you.

Your gym? Real lifters? Bahahahah I've seen the guys from your gym .... the ones assist all of your "PR's" lol not impressed.

No lifters, lifter. As in me.

We could make it official. Think you could hang?

Don't hate when you see what I drive =)

Kowboy
09-21-12, 10:13 am
This is a good discussion, I have heard both wide and narrow and for me I go just a touch outside of my shoulders as it is the way I feel the strongest. I have tried every strance and for me it is better on my knees and hips. Since I started the strongman and front squats my hips have opened up a lot but for me I dont feel comfortable when I go really wide. I have no interest in powerlifting or geared lifting so for me I will just stick with what is comfortable and work my weight up. I am no where close to have hte guys posting in here so it may be because I am using lighter weights.

Pantera, on your comments about poeple and debates. I know we had an issue before and I am glad it is behind us. I dont think it is that peopel can't debate in this country (most can't I agree, everyone is always butthurt over something) but sometimes for me it is hard to tell when you are joking. I am learning your style so I can work through it :)

Seath308
09-21-12, 10:15 am

On account of I would still be warming up when you were maxing out on weight I guarantee that me hanging wouldn't be a problem lol

Kowboy
09-21-12, 10:19 am
On account of I would still be warming up when you were maxing out on weight I guarantee that me hanging wouldn't be a problem lol

You could probably single leg squat my max

Altered Beast
09-21-12, 11:02 am

Keep in mind that I don't follow 5/3/1 and actually perform tons of assistance work with GPP at every training session =)

Plus many other very intense things that I can't tell you about....

Seath308
09-21-12, 11:42 am
Keep in mind that I don't follow 5/3/1 and actually perform tons of assistance work with GPP at every training session =)

Plus many other very intense things that I can't tell you about....

"Train smarter not harder" as you get more experienced in lifting you will understand the concept.

Altered Beast
09-21-12, 12:06 pm
"Train smarter not harder" as you get more experienced in lifting you will understand the concept.

I've seen Chuck Vogelpohl, Donnie Thompson and Dave Hoff's programming for specific meets where they broke world records, nothing short of extreme volume my friend. I've even seen the Gillinghams' programming, TONS of volume.

Never have I ever heard a World Record Holder say or write, "work smarter not harder".

Hard work = World Records. Never heard them praise 5/3/1 either =)

Seath308
09-21-12, 12:14 pm
I've seen Chuck Vogelpohl, Donnie Thompson and Dave Hoff's programming for specific meets where they broke world records, nothing short of extreme volume my friend. I've even seen the Gillinghams' programming, TONS of volume.

Never have I ever heard a World Record Holder say or write, "work smarter not harder".

Stan Efferding told me these exact words when I was training with him. 6-8 weeks out Stan won't let his workouts go past 50-60 minutes. Actually he's doing that Right now in his chase for a 2300 Raw total at 275.

Justin Randal
09-21-12, 12:53 pm

I stayed with Donnie and trained with him for 3 weeks before his supertraining meet this year and while he does higher volume work at a much earlier phase in his training, his volume decreases greatly leading up to the meet. And he actually used the exact words "Train smart and leave something in the tank Sparky". So why don't you post the links to these high volume pre meet training sessions?? I honestly don't know why I'm even bothering to reply as you obviously know what you're talking about.

Last, when Ben is a world record holder, you can say you heard one say to "Train smart not hard"!!

deadmicz
09-21-12, 1:07 pm
You guys are getting troll'd by this dude.

On topic, I agree with others who say squat stance is purely individual. Everyone has different body mechanics and not one style is going to work for everyone. Try both, find what works best for you.

U Mad Brah?
09-21-12, 1:33 pm
let the liftin do teh talkin brahs... speaks more than teh words brahonies...

Altered Beast
09-21-12, 2:10 pm
Stan Efferding told me these exact words when I was training with him. 6-8 weeks out Stan won't let his workouts go past 50-60 minutes. Actually he's doing that Right now in his chase for a 2300 Raw total at 275.

Yes sir! He will be at Mark Bell's SPF meet at SuperTraining Gym in Sacramento going against Brad Gillingham for the biggest Raw total! Eric Spoto is going to be there too trying to break Scott Mendelson's 715 World Record Raw Bench. Brandon Lily will also be there competiting Raw I believe. Should be one hell of a meet!

I'd pay to see you there out squatting all of them! I see 900 in your immediate future.

*You know this isn't in vain, right? We are just being competitive. YOU GOT ME into Powerlifting for Pete's sake! LOL!

HIGA MONSTER
09-21-12, 3:38 pm

I will sell tickets right now for this event...

All members who sign up for the HIGA MONSTER newsletter will be able to buy their tickets one day earlier...

DEADn
09-21-12, 3:40 pm
I printed this article and took it to work to read on break. I am going to try the wide stance squats and see how I do but I have a question and I hope I don't step knee deep into it. Can a person also put on mass in doing the wide stance squats?

In my training I am focused on strength and want to back it up with a little mass. I am doing the 5/3/1 method with BBB. Will the wide stance accomplish both? If it recruits more fibers my answer is yes BUT This is the first time I am training for strength and when it comes to strength training/powerlifting I am very much a novice and this is why I ask the question.

N. Motta
09-21-12, 3:49 pm
I printed this article and took it to work to read on break. I am going to try the wide stance squats and see how I do but I have a question and I hope I don't step knee deep into it. Can a person also put on mass in doing the wide stance squats?

In my training I am focused on strength and want to back it up with a little mass. I am doing the 5/3/1 method with BBB. Will the wide stance accomplish both? If it recruits more fibers my answer is yes BUT This is the first time I am training for strength and when it comes to strength training/powerlifting I am very much a novice and this is why I ask the question.

Depends on where you think you need mass the most. As stated, the wider the stance, the more emphasis on the posterior chain. But, as you said, your primary goal is strength. Very few people can exceed equally in gaining mass AND strength at the same time. (As opposed to focusing primarily on one versus the other). But since your doing the BBB template, you should have a decent shot a stimulation sufficient hypertrophy to fulfill your goals, granted your nutritional intake is up to snuff.

HIGA MONSTER
09-21-12, 3:49 pm

I have never done 5/3/1 but I know one thing...

If you squat rock bottom every time you train, that adds mass. Bottom line.

Aloha,
HIGA MONSTER

N. Motta
09-21-12, 3:52 pm

Depends on where you think you need mass the most. Most guys want to see mass in their quads, which is an impressive site, but may not have the most direct carryover to speed/power as a well developed posterior chain would. As stated, the wider the stance, the more emphasis on the posterior chain. But, as you said, your primary goal is strength. Very few people can exceed equally in gaining mass AND strength at the same time. (As opposed to focusing primarily on one versus the other). But since your doing the BBB template, you should have a decent shot at stimulating sufficient hypertrophy to fulfill your goals, granted your nutritional intake is up to snuff. If you want, focus on time under tension and feeling a definite stretch and contraction in your secondary and assistance exercises, proven bodybuilding fundamentals to stimulate muscle growth.

Kowboy
09-21-12, 7:51 pm

I know I am not the person to ask but I was told by a couple guys that as a tall guy I need to do the ATG as it will help develop bigger legs. I am 6'5" so to get my quads to look thick is tough. I ended up widening it a touch, I just use what feels comfortable. When it comes down to it for me I would rather feel comfortable doing the squat and this helps me remain safe and perform the lift. I do the 531 w/ the BBB as well, I would say to experiment w/ the wider stance on the assistance sets since it is a lot lighter.

PORTERHOUSE
09-21-12, 10:23 pm
I switched to a wide stance a while ago now because it felt better on my back and i have loved it.

DEADn
10-05-12, 6:06 pm
I have begun to experiment with the wide stance squat. It takes some flexible hips and I am doing it on my own so I have no coach to run me through it. I watched a video with Louie Simmons explaining it vs the narrow stance. In one portion he said that wide stance can help the narrow stance but the narrow stance cannot help the wide stance. It made me wonder about this - Is it too much for a person to do wide stance squats for strength and then come back and do more narrowed squats for higher reps? Build the strength foundation and then adding bits of mass on top of that?

I have never done box squats so I took a board that I have which measures a foot and did a set of 5 reps with 135lbs on the bar to get the feel of the movement. WOW, definitely lower than what I am used to and yet I feel it a little in my groin area but alot just under but buttox and areas south.

TotalxWar
10-07-12, 4:23 pm
I squat so much better wide. I definitely have a lot more pop out of the whole and a lot more speed the entire way up.

DEADn
10-08-12, 8:53 am
I usually do my squats in a self spotting half rack. When doing any style of box squats I don't think that work so well in a self spotting thing because the ROM is not straight up but a bit diagonal. I am wondering if I can even accomplish this then? I did try them anyway and I was able to go deep BUT I have to go straight up and down. Is it worth it anyway?

Thinking that if I do wide stance squats I will work on them for strength and then do some higher reps on a closer stance for more mass?
Is that overkill?

DEADn
10-19-12, 5:52 pm
My wife found this video while looking for exercises to loosen the hips. I thought that this might also help in doing wide stance squats. See what you think.

http://youtu.be/ExZwvdgAe6g