PDA

View Full Version : The Journey Never Ends

MikeNice
09-21-12, 8:41 pm
I wrote this blog for a website I've been following and working out with for a little while. I wrote it before I had ever heard of Animal. However, I felt it fit in here. I wanted to put it up for any other relative newbie that may stumble in here. It is also my small way of giving back for everything this site has given me in the last few days. The weight and bf% have changed, but the rest remains the same.

The Journey Never Ends

It has been over a year since I started working out again. Depending on which day you count as the actual start day - and if you discount two months out with my neck – it has been between thirteen and sixteen months. It has not been easy. There were times when consistency was not a word in my vocabulary. There have been times when food was a weakness. However, I have made the journey and I am proud of where I stand.
The weight loss numbers aren’t astounding. I am only down about 34 pounds compared to my beginning weight. The difference comes in the body fat percentage. When I started this my body fat percentage was 48 percent. I was basically a 125 pound man trapped in a 240 pound body. Now I have reached 17.96 percent body fat on a 203 pound body. I am a 167 pound man in a much smaller fat suit.

It feels absolutely amazing to be able to say that I am fit. For the first time in about six or seven years I can say that and know it is true. For me that is something amazing. I honestly did not believe I could do it. When I walked in to the gym for the first time with a cop and a former Marine in the spring of 2011 I was embarrassed, scared, and doubtful. In my mind these guys were on a nearly untouchable level. We’re not talking Arnold Schwarzenegger or Steve Pfeister type of guys. These are guys that are more fit than average, but not elite. Yet, I was honestly intimidated by them, and the journey to their level.

Now people come up to me and ask for my advice on getting in better shape. I am not even on the level with the guys that took me in to the gym, in my opinion. Yet, now people look to me for answers, advice, and inspiration. There are people out there that look at me the way I looked at those two guys a year ago. It amazes me. It humbles me. More importantly it has changed me. I am more confident in everything I do. I don’t hang my head in fear, I accept challenges, and I push myself harder than I think I can or should. They word can’t has disappeared from my vocabulary because now I know I can. Now I hold myself more accountable because I know people are watching me. If I slip I can take others with me. I must act as a leader not only for my family, but for those around me.

The last year has been a long and arduous journey. There was no magic pill or super supplement that paved the way. I worked hard, cut out the fast food, and started eating as clean as I can. I sacrificed. I suffered. I kept moving forward, and today I will take another step forward. The journey is not complete. It will never be complete, but I love this journey. It has changed not only how I look, but who I am.

I want to say thank you to all of the people that pushed me along the way. Schon, Jermaine, Blake Kassel, Steve Pfeister, Heather, Scott Hartnet, Ellis, Benfield, Smith, Chirino, and everyone that said “wow you look like you’re in better shape these days.”A special thank you goes to my wife. She put up with some obsessive behavior, periods of self doubt, and multiple trips to the physical therapist. Most importantly she adapted to my way of eating, she supported my efforts, and she made sure to show me love and support everyday.

The journey never ends, but if you don’t start, you’ll never enjoy the things you discover along the way.

deanna7272
09-21-12, 9:36 pm
Wow... You come a long way, GREAT JOB.... I know that intimidation feeling far too well... I have always said that the HARDEST thing about starting this journey was walking through the door of the gym. It wasn't my unwillingness to change, it was what I let myself become. You have made an incredible transformation, both physically AND mentally!! Glad to see this post and glad to see ya here. A lot of folks here NEVER want to compete and some think they NEVER would, but end up doing so. It's ALL your personal journey, run with it!!

Isn't it nice to see that your hard work is recognized and validated with others coming to you for advice? What a wonderful motivator for all around you... Keep up the great progress....

MikeNice
09-22-12, 8:24 am
I saw a guy wearing a shirt that said, "The hardest lift is your ass off of the couch." It is the truth. The intimidation factor is huge. That is why I don't fault people that turn to those Beach Body programs and such. It takes out the hardest part of working out, the fear of what others will see or think.

It is great to be validated by people asking for advice. It is sad to see how many just want me to tell them the quick fix answer. A lot of people asked me, "what diet pill are you taking." "I don't take diet pills and I don't follow fad diets. I didn't get fat in a day, and I'm not getting skinny in a week. Once you realize that you can make some real differences," has become my go to answer for those people.

It has been a wild journey already. I started working out in a small gym with nothing but Cybex machines on my lunch break. (It was questionable if we were even supposed to be in there. It is intended for alumni and students of a certain program where I work.) Then I was working out in one of the biggest and most modern gyms in the area. After that I switched to resistance bands for cardio and conditioning. Plus, I could do it at home and follow along with a website that had great trainers. The bands have worked well. I've even been able to start building muscle mass with them, but now I'm itching to test the iron again. It is a winding road. I will follow it where it leads.

Thank you for the compliment.

MikeNice
09-27-12, 2:22 pm
The site has been awesome and motivational beyond belief. I hopped on earlier because I was feeling lazy and basically blowing off my training without admitting it. A few minutes reading the articles and going through some of the extras on the main page had me pumped. I knocked out possibly my best routine of the last month.

(Everything but pushups and situps weight is per arm.)
Resisted Pushups - 22lbs - 30 in two minutes
Pec Fly -30lbs - 30 in one minute
Wide Fly Decline Pushups - 7lbs - 31 in two minutes
Standing Shoulder Press - 10lbs - 29 in two minutes
Lateral Raises - 18lbs - 38 in two minutes.
Rear Delt Fly - 7lbs x 25 10lbsx25 3lbsx35 (Haven't done them in a while so I was testing weight.)
Shrugs - 23lbs - 60 in one minute
Over Head Tricep Extension - 30lbs - 50 in two minutes
Kneeling Tricep Pulldown - 18lbs - 35 in two minutes
Weighted Situps - 10lbs - 3x12 1x8

I know the numbers are peanuts to a lot of people here. I'm just a complete beginner though. I've been mostly about cardio and conditioning for a while. I just really started looking at building mass about 10 weeks ago. Before I started working out last year it had probably been a decade since I was seriously active and seven years since I had a job that required serious labor. I'm bouncing back from being the average American. :D

With the Animals here pushing me, I am finding the confidence to believe average will become a bad memory.

MikeNice
09-28-12, 2:14 pm
I found a new favorite leg exercise. I am loving seated leg extensions. I went up almost 20% on resistance about 40% on reps compared to rear lunges. I figure this is a great trade off since I already do squats as well.

MikeNice
10-02-12, 3:19 pm
I was planning on heading to the gym today and starting on Animal Training one. Then I noticed that the resistance band site I've been following started a series based on negatives. Each set is twelve reps with an explosive contraction and a three to five second release. Since I have read about HRT solo training, I decided to try it out. I qued up the program and gave it a shot.

The first thing I noticed was that this shit is hard. I had to cut back on my resistance levels across the board. Everything had to be dialed back to get in 12 reps. I did so pitiful on my first couple of chest exercises I went back and added in an extra set of each at the end. By the time I moved from chest to shoulders my skin felt feverish because of all the extra blood flow. It was a crazy experience.

The pump and fatigue have me feeling like I should be on a bulk for this.

Chuckkah
10-02-12, 10:26 pm
Bro, seeing anyone take 10 years off and get back into the shape you're in is inspiring. You don't see many people--or any people take 10 years on a couch, let almost half of their body weight become fat, then get back up and drop 30% body fat. That is truly awesome.

MikeNice
10-03-12, 4:22 pm
Thanks for the kind words and encouragement.

Today was day two of negatives, back and arms.

(reps x set I know it is backwards it is just how I wrote it down)
One Arm Standing Back Row 12 x 2
Wide Grip Lat Pulldown 12 x 2
Standing Back Row (low anchor) 12 x 2
Back Extensions 30 x 1 increased resistance 25 x 1
Forward tricep extension 15 x 1 increased resistance 15 x 2
One Arm Preacher Curl 14 x1 increased resistance 12 x 1 increased again 12 x 1
Standing Hammer Curl 12 x 1 increased resistance 12 x 1 increased again 6 x 1
Standing Tricep pulldown 12 x 1 increased resistance 15 x 1

As you can tell I was under estimating myself at first. Even on the back moves I was going up between each set. It made me feel good to exceed my own expectations. It actually has me amped up to hit legs tomorrow.

My recovery meal was also a great treat. I had Mongolian flavored chicken and rice with onions and mushrooms. I cooked it all myself so it was much healthier than fast food. I had .75lbs of chicken, .25cups of rice, 1.5ozs of onions, and 1oz of mushrooms.

I'm still not 100% satisfied with my bf% or my weight at this point. However, I really can't let it bother me. I'm making strength increases. The muscle development and increase is obvious. My chest is higher and tighter. My forearms are a little thicker and my upper arm profile is wider with the beginnings of separation. It is a slow journey, but I keep marching on.

MikeNice
10-04-12, 3:20 pm
Man, I blew the eating plan last night. My wife wanted to try a hibachi buffet. I ate two plates loaded with chicken, steak, crab, mushrooms, onions, zuchini, water chestnuts, green peppers, hot peppers, and a spoon of rice. It blew my calorie and macro count. I'm not upset though. I have felt more energized since that meal than I have in weeks.

Today was legs and abs. I don't have my log in front of me so I'm going off of memory.

Single Leg Leg Extensions - 2 sets x 12 reps with 56lbs
Laying Hamstring Curl - 3 x 12 with 28lbs on each leg
Squats - 3 x 12 with 108lbs
Mule Kicks - 2 x 12 with 26lbs
Standing Calf Raises - 20 fast - 20 slow - 20 fast with 86lbs
Weighted Situps - 2 x 12 with 10lbs
Kneeling Resisted Ab Crunches - 1 x 12 with 38lbs 1 x 25 with 38lbs (no negatives)

I'm feeling reved up and ready to go. I think I can squeeze more resistance in to my hamstring curls and leg extensions. Plus the doms from arm day is way smaller than expected. I'm wondering if that has anything to do with all of the protein I ate for dinner? Maybe it was my after work out meal. All I know is that it is nothing like I felt after chest and shoulder day. I tried to smoke a cigarette with a friend and it actually made my shoulder muscles ache.

MikeNice
10-08-12, 3:55 pm
Leg day again! All I have to say is, glute cramps suck. lol

All exercises done with 5 count negatives unless noted.
(sets x reps total resistance used)
Seated Single Leg Ext 3x15 60lbs
Laying Hamstring Curl 2x12 30lbs per leg and 2x12 23lbs per leg
Squats 2x14 106lbs
Single Leg Donkey Kicks 2x12 26lbs 2x12 36lbs
Standing Calf Raise 20-20-20 (pause rest) 95lbs
Kneeling Ab Crunch 20 regular 12 with 5sec negative 10 regular 38lbs
Situps 2x12
Kneeling Resisted Side Bend 2x15 15lbs

The numbers keep climbing. I'm happy about that.

MikeNice
10-13-12, 7:02 am
Set a new PR on Friday. I got 12 reps of single arm concentration curls (5 count negatives) with 32lbs of resistance. I know some guys are saying, "so." For me that was a big deal. I went 22lbs, 26lbs, 32lbs. I was stoked. Of course my biceps were so toasted I had to drop from 22lbs to 19lbs for hammer curls. So, my forearms missed a little.

Today I hit 116lbs on squats with the bands. I had to stop and readjust my grip. I still managed 2x12 with 5 second negatives.

I have to tighten up on my eating though. I've been kind of sloppy lately. I haven't gained more than a pound, but it is on that slippery slope. I actually eat better when I'm at work. I have everything planned and packed, so I have no real room for cheating. At home I tend to be more of a grab and go eater.

I'm still feeling stoked though. I'm making gains and my muscles are feeling much harder. I know part of it is newbie gains, but gains are gains. It doesn't hurt that my kids doctor asked if I was the father. She said I looked like a completely different person than last time she saw me. That was only eight months ago.

I'm still nervous about transitioning from bands to iron. It is going to be a big leap, but I think I have a solid base at this point.

MikeNice
10-15-12, 9:48 pm
I hit the gym tonight with every intention of doing Animal Training 1. I did a full body routine, but it was highly modified. I started with the 5 minute bike warm up. After I got in to the weight room it all changed.

I skipped most of the leg work except presses. I was trying to save my legs for cardio. I had already spent 9 hours on my feet patrolling. All of the leg press machines were taken. So, I used one of those with the weight stack and pin on the side. I went 1x12 for 150 and 2x12 for 170. I was feeling it more in my upper glutes and hamstrings than my quads. I don't know if it was form, or if I was pushing off with too much of the ball of my foot.

Next up was incline and decline chest press of the free weight machine. I went 3x12 on both of them. I just wasn't feeling it the same way I do when I do resisted pushups. I was only able to go with a pie per side. I just don't feel like I exhausted the muscle enough. I wasn't hitting failure, but I couldn't have done but maybe 5lbs more on each side.

I did the free weight machine for shoulder presses next. I started with 10lbs per side. With resistance bands that is a struggle. With dumb bells it leaves me hella sore. On the machine I went 4x12 and worked up to 17.5lbs.

Next up was back rows. Again I was on the machine. I was able to go 2x12 with 45lbs per side. Then I went 2x12 with 55 on each side. That didn't feel like enough so I went and hit 2x12 per arm with 25lb dumb bell rows.

I tried doing preacher curls. I went 1x12 with 45lbs. Then it was 1x6 and 1x7. I was seriously disappointed in that performance.

I went 2x15 with 10lb resisted crunches and finished up going 1x12 with 35 and 2x12 with 42 on tricep pull downs. I was using the rope attachment and it was easier than I expected.

I hit the treadmill and did intervals. I put in about 1.39 miles. It took way longer than I expected. I'm not even going to mention the time. That was the other part of the evening that disappointed me.

Overall it wasn't bad. It just felt like really low volume. I need to add in some rear delt and rotator cuff work as well. I still have a lot to figure out with this routine. I've been doing a three day split. So, hitting it all for full effect in one day feels weird.

The journey never ends, and tonight was just more proof.

MRmichael.hooker
10-17-12, 10:55 pm
subbin in for the journey MIke

MikeNice
10-18-12, 9:31 am
Thanks for the sub. It is cool to see people getting interested.

Yesterday was a rough day. I goofed my split. It was supposed to be chest, shoulders, triceps. I got in the gym and forgot my log. So, I ended up doing an idiotic chest, back, shoulder split. Now I need to hit arms, legs, and abs. My arms are toasted from yesterday though.

Switching to iron from the bands has been a humbling experience. There is little like going from pressing over 140lbs doing pushups, to doing 74 total on the bench. To say I was nearly broken is an understatement. Here I am at 31 in a room full of 19 -25 year old college kids and I was pushing straight bitch weight. I didn't give in though, I kept fighting.

None of my numbers were what I wanted. The only exception was shoulders and running. I was pressing 20lbs and reverse flys where respectable. I got 1.5 miles in the time it took me to get 1.3 miles on the tread mill last time.

It is a rough transition. The muscle soreness is completely different than what I'm use to. The energy expendended with the cardio is vastly higher. I have felt beat down and tired since I finished the first night. I've tried eating a Clif Builder Bar and apple post workout to help with sugar and protein uptake. It feels like I blew all of my energy and I can't get it back.

MikeNice
10-18-12, 9:11 pm
Getting a cold? Going through nicotine withdrawals? Left leg feel tighter than a bow string? You just worked 12 hours? Fuck that! Today is leg day and the iron is waiting. It is waiting for you to prove that you are tougher than it is. It is waiting to break you down. It doesn't give a flying fuck about you. The sole purpose of every plate in the gym is to destroy your body. You have to man up and prove that you are not only tougher than iron, you are tougher than life.

Hack Squat Machine
2x12 140lbs
1x12 150lbs

Kneeling Single Leg Hamstring Curl
2x12 25lbs
1x12 30lbs
My hamstrings were so tight I had to stretch between sets.

Seated Concentration/Preacher Curl
3x12 35lbs

Tricep Pulldown
2x12 42.5lbs
1x12 50lbs

Hammer Curls
2x12 17.5lbs
(Should have done 20lbs)

Overhead Rope Tricep Extension
1x12 42.5lbs
1x12 50lbs

Resisted Crunches
1x12 10lbs
1x12 12.5lbs

Leg Extensions
1x12 90lbs
2x12 100lbs

The designer of the gym was a sadist. After hitting the weights you have to walk down one flight of stairs to get back to the locker room. To leave you have to go all the way back up to the third floor. I thought I was going to fall getting down to the lockers.

MikeNice
10-21-12, 7:30 pm
Friday was rest day. Then I had to start moving stuff out of the house. We're getting ready to tear it down and rebuild. So, that consumed my weekend. I'm glad I had help. My hamstring's were completely shot. I couldn't raise my legs past thirty degrees Saturday morning.

I think going from 0 to 1.5 miles in a week was overkill. Feeling better today. I think I'll ease in to the running. Maybe I'll just settle for a brisk walk and limit leg day to the Hack machine. Still planning on hitting chest, shoulders, and triceps Monday.

MRmichael.hooker
10-22-12, 11:22 am
Switching to iron from the bands has been a humbling experience. There is little like going from pressing over 140lbs doing pushups, to doing 74 total on the bench. To say I was nearly broken is an understatement. Here I am at 31 in a room full of 19 -25 year old college kids and I was pushing straight bitch weight. I didn't give in though, I kept fighting.

None of my numbers were what I wanted. The only exception was shoulders and running. I was pressing 20lbs and reverse flys where respectable. I got 1.5 miles in the time it took me to get 1.3 miles on the tread mill last time.

It is a rough transition. The muscle soreness is completely different than what I'm use to. The energy expendended with the cardio is vastly higher. I have felt beat down and tired since I finished the first night. I've tried eating a Clif Builder Bar and apple post workout to help with sugar and protein uptake. It feels like I blew all of my energy and I can't get it back.

Hey bud, I wouldn't give a care about the college kids. I completely understand, regardless, you want to feel like you're keeping up with everyone in the gym, but you just gotta give it time. Good story it made me think of; my buddy JP has gone from mid 300s to 190s or less now. At one point, he was benching the bar and squatting w. a 10 on each side. Now, he's doing his first powerlifting meet tomorrow. Shit just takes time.

Totally understand the sorness; i've pretty much straight bodybuilt for 2 or 3 years, and started running through exercises for 'functional strength' to break the norm. Man, doin shit with 20lb dbs was KILLIN me. It'll just take some time for your body to get accustomed to burning through so many cals in one workout

MikeNice
10-22-12, 2:17 pm
Had a good day in the gym. I cut cardiograph back from 1.5 miles to .75. My hamstring's were so tight and sore this weekend I honestly thought I might have pulled one. Lots of stretching and some extra A7 at bed time straightened things out.

Flat Bench
1x12 65lbs (including bar)
2x12 75lbs (including bar)
1x10 75lbs (including bar)
Inbetween sets I did pushups for sets of 12 with my feet on the spotter platform of an incline bench.

Rotatory Cuff
Internal Rotation
2x15 15lbs

External rotation
2x12 10lbs

Reverse Fly
1x12 45lbs
1x12 50lbs
1x12 55lbs

It was one of those weight in machines. So the numbers are probably closer to 1/4 of that. lol

Incline Press
1x12 35lbs
1x12 45lbs
1x12 50lbs (I had to pause rest around 7)

Shoulder Press
1x12 15lbs
1x12 20lbs
1x12 22.5lbs + 1x5 15lbs (drop set)

Tricep Pulldown
3x12 40lbs

Tricep Extension Overhead
3x12 40lbs

The pulley machine I used had a higher anchor point. I don't know if that or the extra pushups were the culprit, but tricep work was much harder today.

Resisted Crunches
1x15 10 lbs
1x12 12.5lbs
1x10 12.5lbs

MikeNice
10-22-12, 2:28 pm
Trying to type these posts out on a tablet sucks. It keeps trying to tell me what I mean to type.

Thanks for the encouragement Hooker. I know it takes time. I'm starting to get comfortable with the idea. I'll never be completely comfortable with it though.

To help speed things along I need to start taking my log with me. I've got to start training for a goal. I've got to decide if hypertrophy or strength is my goal. Then I need to train accordingly. I'm thinking of going with periodization until I decide. The way I'm doing it now, I am pretty sure is less than optimal for anything.

Experimentation is a big part of the game. So, everything in time.

MikeNice
10-22-12, 2:37 pm
I forgot to mention that shoulder press and incline press were per arm.

I can tell I've been averaging 4 hours of sleep the last three days.

MikeNice
10-23-12, 9:40 pm
I hit the gym and I am beyond stoked. I hit 180 for 12 on the hack squat machine. I posted up some nice numbers for me tonight. I was working out with my boy that was a semi-pro offensives lineman. He was correcting my form. He also kept saying, "you're not using enough weight."

At first I thought he was being an ass. That isn't his style though. He kept telling me that I am stronger than I think. He wasn't blowing smoke. That isn't his style either. He was pushing me to go heavier. He would suggest an amount and it would be perfect. It was probably my most productive session ever. Period. End of discussion. I just had my ass handed to me. Tomorrow I will be hating life.

The bad part is nobody understands why I am loving the fact that tomorrow will suck.

MikeNice
10-25-12, 5:26 pm
I nearly got booted from the gym today. I had my headphones on whie doing cardio. It turns out that I said, "come on you pussy, are you going to let that machine whip your ass," out loud. Not only did I say it out loud, I said it loud enough to offend a few of the cardio bunnies. I was officially told that kind of behavior is "frowned upon because it is vulgar and creates a hostile environment." I had a decent day otherwise.

Bench press progress is slower than I want. (2x12 15lbs per side and 1x12 with 17.5lbs per side.) I did hit a set of pushsups with my feet elevated four inches between each bench set. I was happy with my decline press numbers though. I hit 1x12 70lbs, 1x12 80lbs, and a drop set of 1x12 100lbs + 1x12 50lbs, and 1x6 110lbs. (All weights total on a decline press machine with plates loaded on each side.)

Shoulder press is also going slower than I want. However, I did notice the machine says that "initial resistance" is ten pounds per side. That made me a bit happy. It means I've been doing even more than I thought.

I need to get away from using machines for exercises. I just feel a little uncomfortable trying to go heavy with free weights and no spotter.

I weighed in at 195.5 today. I was amazed. Since I've hit the gymmy diet has been pretty bad. I was thinking I would be back up to 198 or so. Instead I've lost about a pound. I haven't dropped below 196 since coming back from injuring my neck. After hurting my neck I actually went back up to 202. So, hey things are moving on the right track. Now I just need a way to make my glutes "groin muscle", and hamstrings stop aching.

Looking forward to Friday. I'm going for 1x12 with 200lbs on the Hack Squat/Press machine.

MikeNice
10-26-12, 1:55 pm
I hit the gym with one goal. I wanted that 200lb press on the Hack Squat machine. I became so obsessed with it today that I was visualizing it well before I left for the gym. I not only knocked out 1x12 with 200lbs, I made it a drop set. I hopped off, pulled weight, and nailed 1x8 with 160lbs. I planned on stopping right there. I had already nailed, 2x12 with 160 and 1x12 with 180. Something told me it wasn't over, I was staring at an opportunity and I had to take it. I waited two minutes and knocked out 1x12 with 230lbs!

I hit 117% of my body weight. What the hell? I can't even understand how or why. Less than a month ago I was squating for 116 with resistance bands. I basically just doubled that number in a month. Part of it is simply the bands weren't challenging my legs enough. Really though, this is my personal best squat. I have never hit 230 before. I definitely never used it for volume work.

Today's whole workout was magical. I hit the iso back row for 1x12 130 which was another PR by 10lbs. I was hitting everything hard and coming out on top.

Hack Squat
2x12 160
1x12 180
1x12 200 + 1x8 160
1x12 230

Iso Back Row
1x12 90lbs
1x12 110lbs
1x12 130 + 1x12 90 (drop set)

Seated Preacher Curl
1x12 25lbs
2x12 30lbs
1x12 32.5lbs

Assisted Pull Ups (105lb assist)
3x12

Hammer Curls
2x12 20lbs/arm
1x12 22lbs/arm

Lat Pulldowns
2x12 70lbs
1x12 85lbs
1x7 85lbs
1x8 85lbs

Standing Resisted Torso Rotation
1x15 15lbs
1x15 20lbs

Dumb Bell Side Bends
1x10 35lbs (too much to get good form)
1x15 22lbs

MikeNice
10-26-12, 1:57 pm
Weighed in at 195 today. My weight is dropping but my strength is increasing. I think I'm just sweating out a lot of water weight. I don't care. 190 - 195 has been my goal since I was 240lbs. I finally reached it.

MRmichael.hooker
10-26-12, 2:29 pm
Weighed in at 195 today. My weight is dropping but my strength is increasing. I think I'm just sweating out a lot of water weight. I don't care. 190 - 195 has been my goal since I was 240lbs. I finally reached it.

Congrats man!!!! Time to set new goals

MikeNice
10-26-12, 4:54 pm
1.5 mile run in 17 minutes and 2x20 situps without bracing my feet are the next goals. Other than that I have no idea what to go for. I guess I could start gunning for the Cooper Fitness Standards

I really have no idea beyond getting ready for the POPAT. Other than that maintaining 190 - 195 and increasing strength is all I have.

MikeNice
10-28-12, 3:24 pm
Sitting at work on my rest day and I can only think about trying two things. The first is going for 250 or 270 on the Hack press. The second is hitting 1x12 hammer curls with 25lb dbs. I even slid in to the gym long enough to hit knock out a set of eight.

I need a 17 minute 1.5 mile time and 40 situps in a minute. Still I keep obsessing over the numbers on the press. IT doesn't make sense how the brain works. Two months ago I couldn't care less about squating heavy. Now I want to top 300 by Christmas. I think I could do a 1rm of 300 by then with no problem.

New goals:
1x6 300lbs Hack Press
2x12 25lbs hammer curls
40 situps in 1 minute
17 minute 1.5 mile
190lbs body weight without losing muscle

MRmichael.hooker
10-28-12, 5:14 pm
For the Army, our pt test is 2min situps (50 passing), 2min pushups (40), 2 mile run (16min). I design the battery's (all 100 of us) pt program and schedule for everyone to help them pass. If you'd like it, I can email it to you.

MikeNice
10-28-12, 5:22 pm
For the Army, our pt test is 2min situps (50 passing), 2min pushups (40), 2 mile run (16min). I design the battery's (all 100 of us) pt program and schedule for everyone to help them pass. If you'd like it, I can email it to you.

Dude launch it this way please. I might not use all of it, but I'm tired of spinning my wheels in the dark.

MikeNice
10-29-12, 9:30 am
That feeling when you get to work, open your lunch box, and realize you forgot to pack your food. Man, I was looking forward to that yogurt and Fuji apple.

Blowing my plan on a gym day frustrates the hell out of me. I had everything laid out and planned to hit the gym full speed. Oh well, adapt and overcome.

MikeNice
10-30-12, 10:36 am
I could tell I was in calories deficit when I hit the gym. Numbers dropped across the board. Bad night all around.

MikeNice
10-30-12, 3:55 pm
Hack Press
1x12 160
1x12 250
1x12 270
1x6 300 I could have done more, but my hips kept coming forward off the back pad. So, I stopped instead of risk injury.

Seated Bicep Curl
3x12 30
1x12 32.5

Assisted Pullups
3x12 110lb assist
1x14 100lb assist

Iso Back Row
3x12 110
1x12 140
1x13 140
2x12 90 (switched grip position to hit weak spot)

Hammer Curl
1x12 22.5
1x9 25
1x6 25
My biceps were already toast by the time I got here.

DB Rows
1x12 30
2x12 35

Hanging Knee Raises
3x15

Resisted Sidebend
2x20 20

Cardio
1 mile on eliptical

It was a good day overall. Then as I was stretching I stood up too fast and hit my head on a concrete support beam. Now, I'm feeling a little dazed. I don't think it is anything too serious.

I started writing down the workout as I go along. I'm trying to find my working weight so that I can start a non-linear periodization program soon.

MikeNice
10-31-12, 9:18 am
No doms today. I am confused. I guess I should have pushed out a couple more sets on the Hack Press.

Honestly it comes from finding a better foot position. I was lining my big toe up with the edge of the platform and using a hip-width stance. It was putting a ton of pressure on my hamstrings and glutes. I slid my feet back about two or three inches and opened up to shoulder width. It made the lift much easier. Not sure if I should stay at that stance or if it is "wrong" for some reason.

MRmichael.hooker
10-31-12, 3:36 pm
No doms today. I am confused. I guess I should have pushed out a couple more sets on the Hack Press. .

Man I have tons of workouts without any pains the next day, doesn't mean I didn't work hard enough. i take a shit load of aminos & eat healthy, and my body just recovers well. No doms doesnt mean no work was done

MikeNice
11-01-12, 7:42 pm
There is a special event tonight. I literally couldn't get with in a mile of the gym without a special permit. By the time I found a spot it was too late. Got to be up at three. No way I was going to be able to workout and get home at a decent time. So, I came home planning to do a resistance band workout. Found out the bands are now in storage.

Not happy tonight.

MikeNice
11-03-12, 8:09 pm
Okay, I need to start deadlifting. I have a new goal I'm obsessed with. Something happened at work and now I want to be able to dead lift a person. I want to be able to dead lift a 200lb person, raise them up to about 40" and drop them on a stretcher.

MikeNice
11-07-12, 9:28 am
Started smoking again last week. They are a roller coaster for me. Stopped again over the weekend. Tried to run for 20 minutes with the program Hooker sent me. I was gasping and cramping after 16 minutes. I want a cigarette bad, but that taught me my lesson.

I had a good chest-shoulder-tricep day on Monday. I was a little dissapointed in my pushup performance, but I think it was largely due to upping my bench weight.

Tuesday I was just not feeling the gym. I had a decent night with a number of increases. My foot is bothering me though and that slowed me down on pressing. I just couldn't do a lot after my third set. Came back at the end though and hit 310 for reps on the Hack Press. I think if I get to the point I'm doing 310 or 320 for 3x12 I'll be happy for a while.

MRmichael.hooker
11-08-12, 3:50 pm
Okay, I need to start deadlifting. I have a new goal I'm obsessed with. Something happened at work and now I want to be able to dead lift a person. I want to be able to dead lift a 200lb person, raise them up to about 40" and drop them on a stretcher.

Deads, military press, power cleans, upright rows, heavy tri work

Started smoking again last week. They are a roller coaster for me. Stopped again over the weekend. Tried to run for 20 minutes with the program Hooker sent me. I was gasping and cramping after 16 minutes. I want a cigarette bad, but that taught me my lesson.

My achilles heal man. Quitting smoking is always rough on me. I'll be good for months, and then smoke for a couple weeks. Then be off again for a couple months, etc. I'm trying my ass off to stay smoke free now, because I feel so much better when i'm not smoking. Just sucks with a hr car ride to and from work, because smoking just makes the time so much better lol

MikeNice
11-08-12, 9:52 pm
I've been that way for nearly six years. Off and on. On and off. It is the worst thing I ever did to myself.

I hit a full body workout today. Numbers were decent, but my legs were jacked from running and doing heavy Hacks. So, three sets on the hack today. I did 90 3x12, 180, 3x12, 230 3x12, and then I stopped. I could have kept going. I could have hit 270 for 12. I just knew that it wouldn't be smart. I have to leave something in the tank for work. I have to be able to swing in to full action at the drop of a hat. That is hard to do when sitting down in to a chair makes you want to cringe.

I also cut some decent time off of my 1.5 mile time. I still have a long ways to go. I believe with the Hooker plan I will get there. I have had to modify the intervals a bit. (It seems I was an even more out of shape ass than I thought.) I'm still keeping with the same progression plan though.

Tried "Suicide 6s" today. I think that is the name. I got it from one of G. Diesel's articles. You choose a weight you can curl (I hammer curled) eight times. You only curl it six times. Then you go down the db rack in descending order. You do six reps of each of the next five weights below your starting weight. You basically do one big ass set of 36 reps. I did it three times. By the third set I was wondering what the hell I was thinking.

MikeNice
11-09-12, 11:12 am
I was doing great when I first got to the in-laws. Now I'm on that unintentional dirty bulk. Three-and-a-half pounds in fifteen days. This train has to hit the skids. It was easy when I was in my own place and could control food access by just not buying stuff. Now. . . Well just an example, the m-i-l knows that nobody in the house is supposed to be eating corn chips and such. She goes to Chili's after her Weight Watchers meeting and brings home Chili's chips and salsa. If it is her night to cook count on pasta or something else no too healthy. I've done well in staying away from the complete garbage, but it seems like every where I turn unhealthy food, or at least food not fit for bbing, is being put under my nose.

It really sucks come dinner time. My daughter isn't going to understand why daddy doesn't eat with the family. She actually started to cry one night because I was going to skip dinner.

To make it even more of a pain in the ass, they eat my healthy food. I bought turkey pastrami and got three slices out of ten. I had two pounds of chicken defrosting in the fridge, and somebody cooked it. I bought a bag of almonds and people snuck a few at a time until I got less than half the bag. People ate all of my asian pears and most of my cuties.

I can't wait to get my new place built. I don't know how I'm going to stay sane until Feb or March. Plus if I have to hear how Weight Watchers is superior to counting calories again, somebody is getting strangled.

MikeNice
11-13-12, 1:08 pm
I hit the gym for legs, back, and bis today. Had a good day. I discovered the dangers of Pump. It will make you overestimate yourself ten times out of ten. I hit 340 on the Hack Press and Pump whispered, "350 you got it." I'm glad that the machine had a secondary safety stop. I started down with it, and gravity made me his bitch. I got to half rep, fell below paralell and held it just long enough to devise an escape route. It was scary for a second because I didn't realize the second stop was there. I envisioned getting turned in to an oragimi center piece.

Hack Press
1x10 90
1x8 140
1x6 180
1x4 230
1x2 270
1x1 340

Seated Bicep Curl
1x10 25
2x10 35
2x10 40

DB Rows
3x10 40

Hammer Curls

1x5 22.5
1x10 25
reverse pyramid

1x8 25
1x10 22.5
1x12 20

1x8 25
1x6 22.5

Assisted Pullups
2x10 100 pounds of assist
3x10 95 pounds of assist

Hanging Leg Lifts
4x15

Lat Pulldowns
1x10 70
1x10 85
1x9 85

I'm pretty happy with the results today. I need to loosen up my front hip flexors. I also need to work on pushing from my heels on the Hack Press. Because of the angle I tend to roll up on my toes as I start to press.

MikeNice
11-15-12, 9:35 pm
Full body workout with my boy the former NCAA D-1 football strength and conditioning coach. I'm aching in places I didn't know I worked. I walked in the house and just stood there leaning against the wall. It took about three minutes to get my boots off.

I will not be going for 350 on the Hack Saturday.

MRmichael.hooker
11-16-12, 1:11 pm
Full body workout with my boy the former NCAA D-1 football strength and conditioning coach. I'm aching in places I didn't know I worked. I walked in the house and just stood there leaning against the wall. It took about three minutes to get my boots off.

I will not be going for 350 on the Hack Saturday.

you better have some shit saved in the tank for tomorrow!!

MikeNice
11-16-12, 8:39 pm
Eight hours of sleep plus Pump and Rage. I will have plenty.

MikeNice
11-18-12, 2:35 am
I have never been too sore to sleep before.

MikeNice
11-19-12, 10:28 am
I think the soreness is not just from the workouts lately. Every muscle in my body is sore. I feel dehydrated, I am freezing cold unless I put on enough clothes to start sweating. I have also lost my appetite for food and drink. To top it all off my lungs feel like I've been smoking again.

Feels bad bro. No fever though and no real signs of cold or flu. I have no idea what is going on. I was struggling just to get a Clif Builder's bar down and drink sixteen ounces of water.

Had a friend suggest I might have over taxed my Cns withh deads. If that is the case I need to give up. Two plates per side shouldn't be enough to cause anything like this. Besides it started coming on last Thursday. I was already feeling dried out and tired.

I'm giving myself one more rest day. Tuesday I'll be back at it.

MikeNice
11-22-12, 1:28 pm
Coming back from feeling like crap. Decided to just deload for a couple of days and come back out swinging on Monday.

Light weight - high reps using resistance bands.

Resisted pushup
2x20 with 14lbs of resistance

Single Arm Back Row
2x15 each side 30lbs

Over Head Tricep Extension
4x15 35lbs

Rear Delt Pulls
2x15 per side 23lbs

Close Grip Lat Pull Downs
3x15 35lbs

Bicep Curl
4 x20

Squats
2x20 106lbs

Rotator Cuff
2x20 internal rotation 13lbs
2x20 external rotation 13lbs

I didn't really push near my max reps with the resistance I used. I was just trying to get in something fast. I'll be doing it again on Friday with more resistance.

MikeNice
11-24-12, 12:43 pm
Full body resistance band workout. Everything was done for two sets of twelve with five second negatives.

Resisted Pushups
Decline Chest Press
Standing Back Row (from low anchor)
Hyper Extensions
Squats
Hamstring Curls
Overhead Tricep Extensions
Preacher Curls
Squating Tricep Pulldown
Shoulder Press
Lateral Raises

Two sets of ten
Dumb Bell Rows
Wide Fly Resisted Pushups

Now time for a shower and my kid's birthday party.

Solid Dreams
11-24-12, 3:56 pm
I think the soreness is not just from the workouts lately. Every muscle in my body is sore. I feel dehydrated, I am freezing cold unless I put on enough clothes to start sweating. I have also lost my appetite for food and drink. To top it all off my lungs feel like I've been smoking again.

Feels bad bro. No fever though and no real signs of cold or flu. I have no idea what is going on. I was struggling just to get a Clif Builder's bar down and drink sixteen ounces of water.

Had a friend suggest I might have over taxed my Cns withh deads. If that is the case I need to give up. Two plates per side shouldn't be enough to cause anything like this. Besides it started coming on last Thursday. I was already feeling dried out and tired.

I'm giving myself one more rest day. Tuesday I'll be back at it.

Your cns can be taxed for anything, if you pushed hard enough.

Sounds like you might be getting really sick, almost flu symptoms. Hope you feel better.

MikeNice
11-24-12, 10:00 pm
Your cns can be taxed for anything, if you pushed hard enough.

Sounds like you might be getting really sick, almost flu symptoms. Hope you feel better.

Feeling like my old self. I was pushing hard and not getting enough sleep or water. I upped my water intake, slept a little extra, and rested three days.

It wasn't a great idea to start running 4.5 miles a week and add in more intense types of sets at the same time while trying to break prs every trip. I was already dragging by the time I made it to Hooker's ABC. Even there I left it all in the gym. I was exhausted and disoriented by the time we hit bar bell rows. (I was early so I had already hit two miles on the elliptical, plus db rows and lat pull downs before the official start.) Dead lifts just sealed the deal. The first time I tried them in 13 years, and I hopped up on 225 with questionable form.

I've got to remember recovery is just as important as training. Water is as important as food. Form trumps weight. Despite my time with resistance bands, I am a beginner in many ways. A lot of lessons were reinforced this week.

MikeNice
11-27-12, 8:04 am
Hit the gym with my boy again last night. Feels kind of bad. It was supposed to be his night of from training people. He ended up coaching me through the session and barely doing anything he planned to do.

Leg extensions 3x11
Hamstrung curls 3x11
Jump shrugs from squat 2x10

That is when he went in to coach mode. He saw something lacking and proceeded to try destroying me.

Monkey rollers 2x8
Shoulder press 3x8
Close grip bench 3x10
DB fly/Lat pulldown super set 3x10
Behind the back wrist curls 1x20 & 2x10
Tricep press down 3x12
EZ Bar standing curls (7 and 7) 2 sets
Assisted Reverse grip pull ups 2x10
Assisted dips 2x10
Planks 3x40 seconds

I feel like I'm forgetting a couple of shoulder exercises. It was rough, but I'm not nearly as sore as I expected.

Go to close on the new house Friday. I'm excited, but it doesn't feel real yet. When construction starts and I can actually walk through it, then it will be real. It is an exciting time. Right now the only thing that excites me is the thought of a nap, though.

MikeNice
11-30-12, 7:58 pm
That feeling when you're pulling the bar off the rack and start coughing like a ninety year old smoker.

I thought I was going to drop the bar on my face. Today wasn't the day for lifting. This week has been a wash for the most part. I have to get back on it hard. For a few days ot felt like the flu was feeling in. That spell passed, but now I'm hacking and sputtering something awful. Taking medicine to break it up. It sucks when you feel ready to lift but still can't. I was ready to go for 340 again.

MikeNice
12-02-12, 8:13 pm
I really need to double check before submitting posts from my wife's Kindle.

Didn't hit the gym today. I'm still coughing and sputtering. So, I hit the resistance bands again. All sets are for two minutes unless noted.

Resisted Close Position Pushups
Incline Chest Press (1 minute)
Wide Fly Pushups
Shoulder Press
Lateral Raises
Rear Delt Pull (1 minute)
Shrugs
Tricep Pulldown
Low Anchor Curls

Tried Shock Therapy for the first time today. I'm not sure exactly how I feel about it. I was feeling a little jittery near the end of my workout. That could have been from the exertion though. I do like that there was no crash. I ate a decent post workout meal and drank plenty of water. I never missed a beat the rest of the day.

MikeNice
12-03-12, 2:58 pm
Two Minute Muscle strikes again. The goal is to get between 30 and 40 reps in the time limit.

Rear Lunges 60lbs x 40 reps (2 minutes per leg)
Squats 122lbs x 35 reps (1 minute)
Laying Hamstring Curls 46lbs x 40 reps
Calf Raises 20-20-20 46lbs
Kneeling Reverse Grip Lat Pull Down 86lbs lost count but exceeded 40
Seated High Anchor Row 86lbs x 35
Overhead Tricep Extension 46lbs x 40
Standing Hammer Curl 19lbs/arm x 33

Bonus abs
Resisted Torso Twists 20 left 20 right 20 facing anchor x 26lbs
Resisted Kneeling Crunches 26lbs x 30

The first three sets of legs were pretty rough. I thought it would be a breeze since I can put decent numbers on the Hack Press. My ego nearly wiped me out in the first ten minutes. I'm glad I had my second Shock Therapy sample in my system. Even though I wasn't tossing the iron, that workout was crazy. Shock therapy has lived up to the hype. I'm going to have a hard time choosing between it, Pump, and Rage for my next pre.

MikeNice
12-06-12, 2:53 pm
Just not feeling like myself. I can't really put a finger on it, but I can't get going. Part of it has been health. I felt like I was getting the flu. Now I've got some kind of chest mucus that is effing with every thing. I tried to run last night and made it .1 mile before I had a hacking fit. I can hear the shit rumbling and rasping in my chest every time I breath hard.

Between health, working out with other people, and trying to chase long term goals instead of near term necessities, I've lost track. Add in the stress of living with the in-laws. I've just gotten sidetracked. Even though I'm working out, I'm just not feeling that same high from doing it. Leg day on Monday was the best day I've had in a while. Other wise it feels like I'm spinning my wheels and beating my body up for not much return. My knees and glutes are still sore from leg day. My neck is bothering me and starting to cause me headaches again. I'm just in one of those spots.

I did hit the gym for Two Minute Muscle with the iron last night. I was disappointed in my bench performance. I kept fighting though and put in some serious work. I'll be in with the iron for legs on Friday. It will be a Two Minute Muscle legs-back-bicep day. Then I need to sit down and figure out how to get back on track.

Wednesday Night Two Minute Muscle Chest-Shoulders-Triceps

5 minute warm up on elliptical machine

Feet Elevated Pushups (1min) 23
Flat Bench 17
DB Flies 27
Seated DB Shoulder Press 26
Lateral Raises 30
Shrugs (1min) 27
Rear Delt Pulls (1min) 34
Tricep Rope Pull Down 29
Reverse Grip Tricep Pull Down 32

Bonus Work
Decline Chest Press 1x12 (+5lbs) 1x12 (+10lbs more) 1x11
Selecterize Machine Lateral Raises 1x11 (+10lbs) 1x11 (+5 more) 1x8
Assisted Dips 1x15 (-5lbs of assist) 1x12

12 minutes (2.4 miles) on a stationary bike set for hill intervals.

MikeNice
12-07-12, 7:53 am
I had a friend tell me how great the vitamins he gets from that national supplement chain are. He wouldn't listen to me about Pak. He kept saying, "that is just too much stuff. It can't be good for your body to take in that many things at once." So, I showed him that his vitamins were the exact same thing as Wal~Mart's house brand. They have the same dose and the same ingredients. The Wal~Mart version actually has more Lycopene and Lutein. Plus, you can get a 72 day supply for what he pays for a $45 day supply.

He still swears his are better because they have a "patented" form of lutein. Oh well, I'll stick with the Pak and let him keep tossing money down the drain.

MikeNice
12-07-12, 11:18 am
That moment when you feel like an idiot because you've been calling a piece of equipment by the wrong name.

One of the trainers at the gym had encouraged me to use the "Hack Press" machine since bar squats aren't really an option. Found out today that it is actually a V-Squat machine. I'm relatively new to the gym and never used the leg press machines much until recently. So, I had no clue which was which. I just knew what the leg press linear leg press, and vertical leg press look like.

I also know I wasn't mistaken about which machine he was talking about. He referred to it as, "this Hack Press machine," while touching it. Now I'm wondering, is he an idiot or asshole?

MikeNice
12-07-12, 2:36 pm
I'm trying to mix band and iron time. The original idea is that the bands would serve as my deload. I would go full out with the iron two days and then use the bands for equal resistance two days. The reason being that the band's progressive resistance doesn't overload the muscle at the beginning of the motion. It is a protective feature for me.

I have developed a nasty habit of over-training. One of my friends is a strength and conditioning coach and former offensive lineman. Even he tells me, "you put in too much work." Which is the polar opposite of when we first lifted together. He was saying, "you're cheating yourself."

I have started chasing the magical, "it." That feeling that comes from extreme pumps and the release of endorphins. The problem is they don't come every time. So, you end up with days like today. I just kept going because I wasn't feeling, "it." That magic wasn't there. So, I kept pushing every muscle group. I went back and hit legs again. I hit the back muscles three or four more times. I even hit curls again. I was doing super sets, drop sets, and reverse drop sets.

Now I feel a different "it." I feel super tired and weak. About ten minutes after I finished, I was finished. Now I have that weird tingling and itching feeling that comes when blood starts flowing in to a muscle that hasn't been stretched in a while.

Even the bands can't save me from myself.

In other news. I hit 25 144lb (band)squats in one minute and 33 rear lunges per leg with 66lbs.

MRmichael.hooker
12-08-12, 12:38 pm
HACK SQUAT- http://lifelinefitness.us/product_images/d/779/hacksquatmachine_1___39468__99445_zoom.jpg

MikeNice
12-08-12, 2:12 pm
www.lifefitness.com/static/cms_workspace/products/commercial/hammerstrength/plateloaded/lowerbodytorso/CS-HSPL_PLVSQ-hero.png

What the trainer was calling a Hack Squat machine.

MikeNice
12-08-12, 2:26 pm
I'm a bit excited. I'm going to be getting under the bar for squats Monday. It has been a long time since my shoulders and neck felt strong enough. It has been even longer since I felt like I had enough range of motion to hold and control the bar.

Time to test it out and come join the big boys.

MRmichael.hooker
12-08-12, 4:08 pm
www.lifefitness.com/static/cms_workspace/products/commercial/hammerstrength/plateloaded/lowerbodytorso/CS-HSPL_PLVSQ-hero.png

What the trainer was calling a Hack Squat machine.

No, that's a power squat

MikeNice
12-08-12, 5:30 pm
No, that's a power squat

Yeah, I learned that the hard way. Called it the wrong thing and my boy just looked at me like an idiot.

Lifefitness calss it the "V-Squat." My friend called it the power squat. Whatever it is it ain't a hack press.

MikeNice
12-09-12, 6:40 am
I don't know what happened, but I pulled something in my shoulder and neck again. It is the same spot as last time. I was sitting at work and my shoulder started to bug me. The next thing I know it is a full blown migraine. I ended up puking part of my dinner and barely made it home. My wife massaged it and I put heat on it.

I slept most of the night just fine. Then by the time I was climbing out of the shower I had to pop ibuprofen because it was starting again. Fuck, this is the second time this year. The last time put me out for two months.

It comes from too much resistance and bad form. I decide I'm going to move the resistance and I do. When it gets high and I'm struggling I have a tendency to drop my head and let my form slip. I know of a full two minutes where that happened Friday. I always want to be bigger, better, and faster right now. I guess I'll be paying for it again.

MikeNice
12-11-12, 10:50 am
I almost skipped the gym today. I was making excuses because of my neck and errands. I had a million excuses. Then that little voice in my head said, "if you don't go today you'll never go back." So, I did what any sensible man would do. I tossed my gym back in the car and said, "fuck everything else." I stuck mainly to legs and arms in hopes that it would give my shoulder some rest. I had to stop with my squats because it was starting to bother my shoulder. I was about to go 300 for reps. I decided discretion was the better part of valor and stepped down.

Unfortunately all of the racks were taken. I ended up squatting on the V-squat/Power Squat again. Which, by the way, I am finding that I really love. I got away from it to do leg extensions and other stuff. There is nothing wrong with leg extensions, but standing under 270lbs and pushing it up over and over is much more fun. I came out from under it feeling light and alive. I don't get that feeling from any other exercise. Bench press feels like I'm about to be crushed and deads just feel like work. Squatting feels like coming alive though. I've got to get back under the bar.

Warm Up
7 Minutes Elliptical set to "cascades" and 20% resistance.

Legs
Rear Lunges 12 per leg with 25lb dbs
Walking Lunges 14 steps x 2 with 22.5lb dbs (14 out, walk back, do it again)
V-Squat/Power Squat 1x10 180, 1x10 230, 1x13 250, 1x10 270
Seated Selecterized Hamstring Curls 1x10 85lbs, 1x10 95lbs (reverse drop set)
Calf Raises 30-30-30 with 22.5lb dbs

Arms
Super Set (no rest besides the transition)
BB Curls 2x15 40lbs
Tricep Rope Pull Down 2x15 42.5lbs

Super Set (no rest)
BB Reverse Curls 2x12 30lbs
Reverse Grip Tricep Pulldown 2x12 35lbs

Super Set
Seated Preacher Curl 1x20
Seated Tricep Press 1x20

Drop Sets
Seated Tricep Press 1x10 drop 30% 1x10
Seated Preacher Curl 1x10 drop 25% 1x10

Back
Selecterized Back Extensions 1x20 130lbs, 1x20 140lbs

MikeNice
12-11-12, 10:59 am
There was another bright side to enjoying the gym. I weighed in at 194. Despite eating like a human vacuum cleaner lately, and eating a lot of garbage foods, I have managed to get under 195. I am amazed. I know it isn't an excuse to continue my current eating habits. I don't even know how it could have happened.

MikeNice
12-12-12, 7:44 am
Slept weird and woke up with a migraine starting. Thinking of calling the physical therapist and setting up an appointment. I just know he's going to tell me I need to stop doing anything besides "t-w-y" work for my shoulders, lay of the chest exercises, and focus on calisthenics. He always gets me back together. He is not very supportive of lifting.

MikeNice
12-15-12, 3:57 pm
Going to the physical therapist next Thursday.

I had to move a bunch of railroad ties today. The person I was with couldn't lift their end up. So, I had to put on an impromptu strong man demonstration. I squatted down and lifted one end, then I walked it upright and flipped it over. I would say I did about 35 "reps" in a row.

When I was done my first thought was, "damn I can't believe that I just did that. I really am getting stronger." My second thought was, "I should have had my wife tape that so the guys at Animal could critique my form." In five months I went from rolling them in to place, to standing them up and "walking" them across the yard. What took me nearly two hours this spring took me less than thirty minutes today. I was psyched to say the least.

MikeNice
12-19-12, 4:19 pm
That feeling when your new slacks are the perfect size for your hips, but uncomfortably binding in the thighs. I don't see myself as having bigger than average legs. It must be the pants.

MikeNice
12-25-12, 9:30 am
My physical therapist is trying to talk me out of power lifting, body building, or lifting heavy as a life style. He was telling me to do squats on a bosu ball and go for single leg squats if I wanted to step up the weight. No more over head press, shrugs, barbell squats, flat bench, jump shrugs, or dead lifts. He was warning about the eventual need for joint surgeries and other body issues that are "unavoidable." I was actually starting to think about packing in dreams of the Cage.

Then Christmas came along. Present after present reminded me of how much I want to get back under the iron. I got Animal Iconics in red and grey, an Animal hoody, and Universal shorts. Now I'm sitting here licking my chops and waiting for the first time the gym opens back up. Bosu ball squats might be great while I'm getting my shoulder back in shape. It won't be enough though. I'm not going to be happy just focusing on, "functional and stabilizing" exercises. I want to squat 400lbs for reps and I'm not going to let somebody's idea of what my "structure" will handle limit where I go. Joint pain and muscle aches may be part of the game. I'm willing to accept that to prove that I am bigger, stronger, and more durable than even I believe I can be.

MRmichael.hooker
12-27-12, 9:27 am
I feel like something always randomlly hurts... shoulders, rotator, elbow, wrist, w/e. But then after a week or 2, it feels fine, and im still crushing weights

MikeNice
12-28-12, 8:15 am
I ended up back with the therapist because the pain was crazy. It felt like a big not beside my shoulder blade. Pain would radiate out to my spine, up the spinal erector and in to my head. The pain and tension would cause migraines. I was taking four Ibuprofen with Sumatriptin. Then I still had to lay in a dark room with a warm compress on my neck and shoulder.

I don't mind sore, but that was putting me out of work. I don't think I can give up squats and deads though. So, I'm following his stretching advice and shoulder work advice. I'll skip shrugs. Other than that, I'm going back in to the gym next week. I may stick with dumb bell squats for a little while.

I'll be back before long. I've got goals and dreams. I'm not letting anything short of getting crippled stop me.

MRmichael.hooker
12-28-12, 8:21 am
Ever tried deep tissue massage? Can go in under the shoulder blades and shoulders/rotators and get out any knots

MikeNice
12-28-12, 8:36 am
I haven't tried it yet. I'm always afraid I'll end up at one of "those" massage places by accident. Man friend was telling me about one in a local mall. I might try it out this weekend. It is only $12 for a twelve minute chair massage.

MikeNice
12-30-12, 9:38 pm
Broke out the resistance bands for a quick arm and shoulder workout.

Circuit 4x20 (no rest)
Hammer Curl
Prone Bicep Curls
Tricep Pull Down
Over Head Tricep Extensions

Shoulders
T-W-Y 2x15
External Rotator Cuff Rotation 1x12
Internal Rotator Cuff Rotation 1x12

MikeNice
12-31-12, 10:50 am
Drop set super sets for chest and back. Do 12 reps then drop 30% - 40% of your resistance and do 12 more. Super sets are done with no rest besides the transition. Each super set is done twice.

One Arm Pec Fly (right arm first then left before transitioning)
Standing Bent-over Back Row

Feet Elevated Resisted Wide Fly Pushup (feet down for drop set)
Wide Grip Lat Pull Down

Resisted Military Pushups
Standing Low Anchor Back Row

Decline Chest Press
Hyper Extensions

A nice bit of stretching afterwards and now a bit of rolling and a shower.

MikeNice
01-03-13, 11:31 am
Going back to full body for a few weeks. I've been program hopping entirely too much and it shows. Going back to build up the basics and then attack something more serious. For right now the plan is to train three or four times a week. I'll be using a 5 second negative program with the bands at least once a week to keep some pressure off of my shoulder.

The rest of the workouts will be a modified version of Animal Training #1. I may be changing the shoulder press to a set each of Ts, Ws, and Ys. I may do it in a "Bulldozer Training" method or keep the rep count and do half of the sets with five second negatives. I'm thinking doing it with five second negatives may be best for the sake of consistency and avoiding the program hoping issue.

MikeNice
01-03-13, 3:34 pm
New goals:
1x6 300lbs Hack Press
2x12 25lbs hammer curls
40 situps in 1 minute
17 minute 1.5 mile
190lbs body weight without losing muscle

I posted those goals a couple of months ago and I've only knocked one off of the list. Time to get off my ass and accomplish something.

MikeNice
01-08-13, 9:37 am
Because of my shoulder and the gym's holiday schedule last night was my first night back with the iron in a little bit. I almost skipped it, but I forced myself to go. I was so happy I did. It felt amazing.

Warm Up:
Jog .25 miles and stretch for four minutes.
Run .25 miles and stretch for four minutes.

Full Body
Squats
1x10 90lbs
1x10 180lbs
1x10 270lbs
1x3 300lbs
1x3 300lbs
1x8 230lbs

Where my hamstring and glute connect was tight and tired out pretty quickly. I was definitely disappointed I couldn't get more squat work done.

Kneeling Hamstring Curls
3x10 (per leg) 25lbs
(My friend the coach chewed my ass for going too light. He wanted me to try 35 or 40 for 3x10)

Ys
2x12

Ws
3x12
I forgot to write down the weight from shoulders on through.

Triceps Rope Pulldown / Seated Preacher Curl Super set (no rest until all sets completed)
1x12
1x10 (increased weight by 15%)
1x10 (Increased weight by 10%)

Reverse Triceps Pull Down / Reverse BB Curls (no rest)
2x10
1x8

Incline Press / High Row (only rest was transition from machine to machine)
2x10
1x7

Decline Pushups
2x12
I flipped over a Bosu ball and used it elevate my feet. The wobbling and rocking really added a good core and quad element.

Assisted Pullups
1x12
1x20 (I dropped the assistance and went Bulldozer Training style.)

When I got home I used a "Tiger Tail" to roll most of my muscles. Then I stretched my entire body for about ten minutes. Today I feel great.

MikeNice
01-08-13, 1:49 pm
I'm trying to understand why body building, power lifting, and strongman seem so marginalized in NC. It seems like everybody that lifts tries to distance their self from those particular things. It isn't just, "nah that isn't why I lift." People act like their denying being a thheif or a politician.

MRmichael.hooker
01-08-13, 1:54 pm
I'm trying to understand why body building, power lifting, and strongman seem so marginalized in NC. It seems like everybody that lifts tries to distance their self from those particular things. It isn't just, "nah that isn't why I lift." People act like their denying being a theif or a politician.

Fuck that, not at Elite Fitness lol. I always am a bodybuilder. If I spend a lil time powerlifting for fun, im still a bodybuilder, just playing with some heavier weights. Guys don't wanna pretend to be something because they aren't dedicated enough to truly be that

MikeNice
01-09-13, 7:56 am
Fuck that, not at Elite Fitness lol. I always am a bodybuilder. If I spend a lil time powerlifting for fun, im still a bodybuilder, just playing with some heavier weights. Guys don't wanna pretend to be something because they aren't dedicated enough to truly be that

Elite is a whole different beast than anything I've found in this area. There was one place that held PL meets. They sold to somebody new and the new owners aren't interested in having any competitions, from what I've heard. There is a place that trains athletes to prepare for college and semi-pro try outs. Other than that there aren't any hardcore spots in my area.

It isn't about claiming to be something your not. I asked this guy at the gym if he ever thought of competing in body building. His answer, "what? why would I want to do something that vain? Those guys are a bunch of testosterone fueled monkeys." Now mind you this guy was Joe's size and about 10% body fat. He looked like a body builder prepping for a show.

There seems to be an attitude that people that compete some how suddenly become more vain or lose their intelligence. My wife's boss is the only exception I've run in to around here. He is a body builder. (I asked her to see if she could get his diet. He lives lean.) Everybody else acts like they are absolutely repulsed if you mention they might be a competitive lifter.

MikeNice
01-09-13, 8:03 am
I wish I had bought a shirt while I was at Elite. I loved that little place. It just reeked of hardcore. Plus, where else do you regularly run in to guys that are going for a 1,000lb dead lift or lift at the Arnold Classic? That is a whole different level of motivation. To me, that is like rolling in to Gold's in Venice circa 1977. If I wasn't building a house here, I would consider moving to get closer to that gym.

MikeNice
01-16-13, 12:19 pm
Fullbody again last night. Been staying consistent in the new year. Not seeing huge gains, but making steady progress. I need to get my protein intake back up.

Warm up
3 minute stationary bike

Squats
1x10 90lbs
1x10 140lbs
1x20 230lbs (Bulldozer Training style.)

Decline Pushups
1x32 (Bulldozer Style)

Decline Press
1x22 (Bd style)

Ys
2x12

Ws
1x12
1x10
1x9

Rope Pulldown / Seated Preacher Curl (super set)
1x12
1x9
1x6
1x4

Tricep Press Down / Reverse Tricep Pulldown / Reverse Barbell Curl
3x10
1x9

High Row
2x12
1x10

Lat Pulldowns
1x20 (bd style)

MikeNice
01-18-13, 5:32 pm
Fullbody with the bands today. Each rep was five second negatives.

Resisted Pushups
1x10
1x14

Incline Press
2x12

Standing Back Row
2x12
This one always bugs me. I can go about 25lbs heavier doing a seated iso-back row or high row. I can easily go 10 - 15lbs heavier with DB rows. I just don't understand unless the angle is hitting the muscle differently.

Good Mornings
1x20

Squats
2x12

Laying Hamstring Curls
2x12

Ws
2x12

Ys
1x12 per arm

One Arm Standing Preacher Curl
2x12

Tricep Extensions
2x12

I went up on resistance across the board. I'm happy with that, but I need to cut back on the row. My shoulder started bugging me again afterwards.

MRmichael.hooker
01-19-13, 8:30 pm
. I'm happy with that, but I need to cut back on the row. My shoulder started bugging me again afterwards.

Play it safe bud.

MikeNice
01-24-13, 12:06 pm
Talked to my physical therapist. He did some work Graston Technique work on the rhomboid while I did standing rows. It felt like the whole area was on fire. Whatever it was broke loose and it feels much better. It just doesn't really address the question of why that muscle keeps binding. I have hit every workout. I just work around it and keep stretching it. The high row and dumb bell row don't cause any issues. So, I use those.

My biggest concentration right now is form. When I find a weakness I want to eliminate it. So, I tend to push for more weight and reps. In a couple of exercises that has been leading to a break down in technique. The gains are coming, but they haven't been as lean as I would like. I have to get the diet straight and add in a little bit more cardio. I had a chance to do a 20 minute workout (with my kid) that is designed for 5 - 9 year olds. I'll just say, it was pathetic. I need to start running again. I was progressing, but then I had real bad chest congestion when I quit smoking. That was followed by a cold and I just never got back in the groove.

Tonight is another full body night. I'm considering going for half of a "man maker." I'm thinking of trying to squat 50x1 with 200. I just don't have any idea on how to warm up for a challenge like that. Somebody asked me, "do you even legs?" That means it is time to put in some serious work.

MikeNice
01-31-13, 3:19 pm
I skipped the gym on the 24th and trained at home. They were telling us we might have to stay overnight at work the following night. I decided it was more important to see my kid. I didn't want to risk her going two or tow-and-a-half days without me being there. I never did try for that man maker.

I did put in an extra workout this week. I went in for an extra day at the gym. I spent about 45 minutes working on squat and bench form with just the bar. It was my first time back under the bar for squats in a while. I had been doing mainly Power Squat and band squats. They had destroyed my form. The extra reps really helped. I feel much more comfortable now. The weird part is I really felt it in my arms. It was running down my arm bisecting my tricep and bicep. It was like doing heavy rotator cuff work, kinda.

MikeNice
02-05-13, 2:26 pm
I skipped my regular workout today and decided to go for HIIT cardio circuit training mixed with strength training. I thought I was going to puke. About three exercise from the end I hit resisted mountain climbers. I did 44 in 40 seconds with 7 pounds on each ankle. After that it was curls/tricep press down super set, resisted pushups, and kneeling cable crunches. I was flip-flopping between 13 and 19 pounds. I went 1x10 13lbs 1x10 19lbs 1x12 13lbs 1x12 19lbs with no pauses.

34 minutes of total exercise and I thought I was going to just curl up and call it a day.

MikeNice
02-13-13, 8:26 am
Possibly tore a calf muscle. I have to get it checked on Monday. Decided to do 100 standing calf raises with dumb bells. Not a great idea after not doing calves for about six or seven weeks.

MRmichael.hooker
02-14-13, 1:13 pm
Possibly tore a calf muscle. I have to get it checked on Monday. Decided to do 100 standing calf raises with dumb bells. Not a great idea after not doing calves for about six or seven weeks.

Damn that sucks man, let me know what happens

MikeNice
02-18-13, 11:56 am
No rip in the calf muscle. It is knotted up. A couple of visits for some Graston Technique work was suggested. A lot of alternating hot and cold with stretching and rolling is recommended. Keep it elevated a couple of hours a day, and try not to stay on it more than a couple of hours at a time. The biggest issue is that the swelling isn't going down very fast. So, I have to keep an eye on that.

Other wise I am clear to start doing lighter squats and hamstring curls. I need to get back under the bar. If I am going to attend the upcoming NC ABC, I need to push hard the next few weeks. I have to come in stronger than last time. Being more cut is out of the question. Back up around 202 and can't drop the weight.

MikeNice
02-24-13, 5:38 pm
Three day split with drop sets. Each set is 12 reps drop 30% -40% and do 12 more reps.

Day 1
Resisted Pushups 2x12
Wide Grip Lat Pulldown 2x12
Single Arm Chest-Fly 2x12
Standing Back Row (low pulley) 2x12
Decline Press 2x12
Straight Arm Lat Extension 2x12
Incline Press 2x12
Hyper Extensions 1x12

Resisted Kneeling Crunches 1x75 (25 x 45lbs, 25x30lbs, 25x15lbs)
Resisted Torso Rotation 1x15 per side
Standing Oblique Crunches 1x20 per side

Day 2
Rappel Squats 2x20 (not drop sets)
Walking Lunges 1x10 per side
2 minute stretch
Resisted Front Lunges 3x15 per side
Squats 3x15
Calf Raises 2x35 (not drop sets)
Donkey Kicks 2x15
Laying Hamstring Curls 1x12
Ski Squats 1x12

Day 3
Front Shoulder Raise & Lateral Raise 2x12
Rotator Cuff Internal & External 2x12
Reverse Fly 2x15
Single Arm Preacher Curl 2x12 per arm
Tricep Pull-down 2x12
Hammer Curls 2x12
Overhead Tricep Extension 2x12

Resisted Bicycle Crunches 2x10
Kneeling Resisted Crunch 1x75 (45lbs, 30lbs, 15lbs)
High-Low Wood Chop 1x15 per side

MikeNice
03-02-13, 8:25 am
I managed to sneak in to the gym this morning. I hit a quick set of heavy-ish lat pulldowns and a set of chest presses, for balance. Now all I can think about is going and picking up something heavy. The blood is definitely pumping. Too bad I'm already stuck at work.

MikeNice
03-04-13, 3:46 pm
Haven't been able to hit the iron in a week. My car is in the shop. The computer went out. The replacement part took three days to get there, and was defective. They got another one in this afternoon, and it was defective. The last five computers they've recieved from this company have been defective or went out under waranty. So, now they're ordering one from the OEM and acting like they're doing me a favor by not charging me the higher cost for the factory part.

It looks like I'm stuck hitting the bands for a couble more days. I'm aching to get back under the bar.

The gym I used the other was one at work with a couple of selecterized machines. I couldn't squeeze in but five minutes because I was on hte clock.

MikeNice
03-05-13, 6:32 pm
I'll be so fucking glad when the new house is finished. Came in the house tonight and the m-i-l was cooking my fucking chicken. I laid out two bags of chicken. One was for me to cook my lunches for work. The other bag was dinner for tonight. The total weight was 8.9 pounds. For some reason she decided to cook both bags. Really? Is there any damn reason to believe that we needed nearly 9 pounds of chicken for one meal?

The kicker is she pulls out a box of Chicken Alfredo stuff she plans to cook. It calls for 1 pound of meat. "Oh, I have too much meat. You want the rest for whatever you were making?" No I don't want seven pounds of chicken that has already been cubed up and cooked in a ton of vegetable oil. I want my whole chicken breast that I was going to use for cooking baked buffalo wings. I want chicken that doesn't have a few hundred extra calories from needless oil. That is why I have cooking spray and non stick pans.

On the upside I had a killer leg-shoulder-bicep workout today.

MikeNice
03-05-13, 7:13 pm
Today's training program:
Everything was half a tabata cycle then a "mirror" set to failure.

Rappel Squats 2 x 20

Squats 106lbs
"W"s 7lbs

Squats 2 x 22 132lbs
"W"s 2x15 12lbs

Laying Hamstring Curl 38lbs
"Y"s 14lbs (1/4 tabatta cycle per side)

Laying Hamstring Curls 1x20 64lbs
"Y"s 10lbs 1x15 per side

Calf Raises 38lbs (105 total)
"T"s 14lbs

Calf Raises 50lbs 1x30
"T"s 24lbs 1x15

Upright row 1x20

Standing Bicep Curl 23 -> 19lbs
Standing Reverse Bicep Curl 19 -> 13

Bicep Curl 1x22 28lbs
Reverse Curl 1x20 16lbs

I think my resistance could have easily been 10% - 15% higher across the board (squats more like 20%). I hadn't tried the program before and didn't want to over estimate.

MikeNice
03-12-13, 8:22 pm
I had one of the coolest moments ever Sunday morning. I was working out at home using resistance bands. My wife and daughter were nearby watching TV. My wife peeked over and saw me struggling to finish a set. She said, "come on honey just three more." Then my daughter hops up and comes running over. Standing about three feet away she starts. "Three more daddy. You can do it daddy. It is just three more." My little three year old was being my hype man. I ended up pulling off five more.

Unfortunately my little one was sick with a virus Friday night and Saturday. So, as can be expected, I had it from about midnight Sunday until this afternoon. I missed leg day and was missing out on chest-back-shoulders day. Finally I just laid down in the floor with a pair of 25lb dbs. I did a set of 40 and a set of 30 presses and two sets of back rows. Then I tossed in a set of military pushups and a set lat pull downs with 26lbs of resistance on each arm.

It wasn't an awesome workout, but it got the job done between trips to the rest room.

MikeNice
03-14-13, 9:58 am
Had a good leg and arm night. I didn't make it through a "man maker" yet. I did turn out some nice 12 - 14 rep sets. Then I hit kneeling ham string curls bulldozer style, banged out three sets of thirty on standing calf raises, bulldozed through a set of walking lunges, and came back after arms for 2x10 leg extensions.

The arm session was okay. The big issue I'm having is imbalance. Even if I use dumb bells my right arm explodes and my left arm just kinda expands. My right arm ends up so pumped I can barely use it. My left arm definitely isn't having that issue. It is starting to become obvious even on rest days. I have to figure out how to get the balance right.

Doing well and making progress. My weight goals are slipping away from me. I just have to buckle down and get strong. Overall. I am getting stronger than I was. I have made a pretty decent leap since Christmas. I am actually having an issue with underestimating which weight to use.

The kid is healthy, I'm healthy again, and the world is great. Going to watch Ox's road to the Olympia again tonight.

MikeNice
03-25-13, 5:21 pm
Been taking some online courses from Coursera and writing some for the Libertarian party. So, no I haven't disappeared or given up on the gym. I'm still here and still modifying my routine to find the right balance of conditioning and lifting.

Today was "Football Training" power and conditioning followed by ten minutes of HIIT cardio and ten three back exercises for four sets. I was trying to balance out all of the chest and shoulder work from the "Football Training" and HIIT. I am no where near my cardio level from last summer. I'm going to be adding in more of these conditioning workouts. I also have to find a way to work in running without giving up on my heavy leg work. My wife told me, "your legs are starting to look nice." So, I have to keep pushing. I'm trying to overcome those chicken leg genetics. lol

Keep hitting it hard boys and girls. You only live once, you might as well live like a warrior.

MikeNice
03-31-13, 8:58 am
I am wore out. I hit the gym after 14.5 hours at work yesterday. Went with heavy legs and Bulldozer Training. Hit some good numbers and got out fast. I'm feeling it today. I don't know if my form was a little off, but my lower back is sore.

I ripped through a bulldozer set of 20 with 175lbs in three mini sets. I probably could have done 190. Instead of 20 -30 seconds of rest between sets I went with 15 seconds. It wasn't much fun. By the time I finished everything last night I was laughing. I had hit my legs and arms from every angle and the only choice was laugh or dive head first down the stairs.

I still swear the gym designer was a sadist. Who puts the locker room two floors below the main entrance?

MikeNice
04-08-13, 4:55 pm
That day you realize that being normal is no longer enough. It is time to become a monster!

Rob Bailey and The Hustle Standard blaring. The iron is calling. Back at it Tuesday, fuck every excuse imaginable. Nothing short of death bruh.

MikeNice
04-17-13, 2:21 pm
The journey never ends was an understatement. I haven't had time to slow down. I've hit maximum schedule saturation.

Hitting the gym Bull Dozer style and pushing for gains. Slipping a bit though as exhaustion sets in. Will update when I have more time.

MikeNice
04-19-13, 1:03 pm
I went hard last night. Then work decided to come at me extra hard today. Feeling exhausted, but I'm happy. Nothing like the feeling of just being plain exhausted from hard work.

MikeNice
05-21-13, 7:46 am
I've been at it in the gym. My weight is holding steady for now. I'm on a deload week because my body just wasn't supporting the work load any more. When I started needing three rest days to recover on a two day split, I knew something was wrong.

I'm deloading for two weeks. Then I'm going in to a classic 3x8 routine. Two exercises per muscle group with the goal being 3 sets of 8 - 10 per exercise. I'm looking for that mix of hypertrophy and strength training. Plus, I feel like I'm still a beginner in many ways. To help correct that I'm going back to the basics.

I jumped on the advanced stuff way to early and now it is showing. I was doing a 3 day split my first month of training. Definitely not the way to go. I've made gains, but they are sub optimal. I'm going to step back and pull every thing back together and even things up a bit. Then in about 8 - 10 weeks I'll move on to some intermediate stuff.

MikeNice
07-04-13, 9:34 am
I got tied up with work, classes, and life. I kept working out until the first eek of June. Then I injured my wrist. Just shy of a month out there is still not much in the way of a solid return date. Surgery is still on the table. It is a combination of a wrist sprain, forearm strain, and a tendon issue in my elbow. It all came from a single accident.

Right now it is all about walking and jogging to avoid putting on the pounds.

MikeNice
09-03-13, 9:02 am
Still can't even do a standing wall pushup. 3lb wrist curls for PT and my forearm and elbow are sore all day the next day. I've been told to absolutely avoid any bicep curls or pressing workouts for another month.

MikeNice
09-13-13, 3:34 pm
The official word is 6 - 10 weeks before I'm released. They are saying 12 weeks before I hit the gym again. So, that puts me out to December potentially.