PDA

View Full Version : Yet another 531 question...one

Vrotsos991
09-30-12, 9:18 am
In the past was doing a 5x5 and decided to try the 531. Finished my first first month and was doing the assistance work called "boring but big". I felt like i was leaving alot at the gym. Has anyone tried the bodybuilding assistance work? If so how did you like it.

TotalxWar
09-30-12, 6:18 pm
the bodybuilding assistance work looks cool. i didn't try it yet, but it seems to pound your upper body but not as much when it comes to the lower portion.
also boring but big is shitty. it didn't do anything for my lifts or appearance. it just made lifting...boring. haha
if you wanna add muscle and strength use the periodization bible assistance template.
i think its perfect and stand by it 100 percent.

Cellardweller
10-01-12, 6:11 am
If you still have something in you after doing your 5 sets of 10 AFTER doing your 5/3/1 then your weight is too fucking light. If you hit 10 reps on your last set, move up that weight next week. The last 2 sets of BBB should be a battle of survival. Set 4 you should just be happy you made it and set 5 is an all out lactic acid fest. If you hit 10 you add a 2.5 to each side the next week and do it all again. You can cut down the rest between BBB sets for fun too.

I was doing the bodybuilder assistance work. It did help my appearance. But after having done a pure strength, train just your lifts 5/3/1 and now the bodybuilder routine, I can say I had less strength gains doing the bodybuilder routine. Someone had said it on one of the other 5/3/1 threads. It's "majoring in the minors." It can become too much extra work taking away from your strength gains. I'm switching back to the other routine just this week. It all just depends on your goals. I suppose you could run 3 months of strength 5/3/1 the 3 months of bodybuilder or 6 months and 6 months. Whatever ends up working for you.

Appollonian
10-01-12, 7:39 am
[QUOTE=Cellardweller;1261815]If you still have something in you after doing your 5 sets of 10 AFTER doing your 5/3/1 then your weight is too fucking light.QUOTE]

This is my thought too. Before my injury, going for reps on the '5' or '3' or '1' set, then doing 5 sets of 10 with weights that really pushed me, and then doing an assistance exercise or two, I've never been more sore in my life, and in my previous training I did a lot more volume, just didn't focus on moving more weight. I have nothing against the so called bodybuilding assistance work, but boring but big will get you big, and you certainly won't be leaving anything at the gym.

Aggression
10-01-12, 9:02 am
Your weights are too light. Up 'em. When I first started this program, I used the guided %'s and was squatting for 12-15 reps on '5' week. The next wave, instead of the recommended 10lb increase, I added 20-25lbs to make sure I was using legit weight. I suggest you do the same. After you 5'3'1 sets and your BBB exercises, you should be toast.

Vrotsos991
10-01-12, 4:58 pm
Your weights are too light. Up 'em. When I first started this program, I used the guided %'s and was squatting for 12-15 reps on '5' week. The next wave, instead of the recommended 10lb increase, I added 20-25lbs to make sure I was using legit weight. I suggest you do the same. After you 5'3'1 sets and your BBB exercises, you should be toast.

I think i will do that. I was doing 12 reps on my 5 week for squats, and on my 1 week for deads i was doing 8 reps. I reset my numbers after this and i still didnt see a large increase in weight that would get me closer the the suggested reps.

Aggression
10-01-12, 5:00 pm
I think i will do that. I was doing 12 reps on my 5 week for squats, and on my 1 week for deads i was doing 8 reps. I reset my numbers after this and i still didnt see a large increase in weight that would get me closer the the suggested reps.

Don't reset anything. Instead of adding the 10lbs, as suggested for lower body waves, just bump it 15, 20, or 25, depending on where you're at.

SailinScotty
10-05-12, 9:37 am
Don't reset anything. Instead of adding the 10lbs, as suggested for lower body waves, just bump it 15, 20, or 25, depending on where you're at.

^This. Also how was your diet? I follow BBB and after my sets of ten I'm definitely gassed.

Vrotsos991
10-05-12, 10:33 am
Sounds good. Ill give it a shot with adding weight Thansk guys