PDA

View Full Version : Problem

arm3n
10-01-12, 9:22 pm
Hello, I’d like to speak a little about myself before I get into my question. My name is Armen; I am 16 years of age 6’0 and 178 lbs and live in SoCal. I've lifting weights for 1 year 2 months. I started from 0, absolutely nothing; I could not do a pullup/chinup or even a pushup. I want to consider myself as a bodybuilder but I think I don’t give myself enough credit. So throughout my journey of bodybuilding, everything was going great. I started because I realized I was overweight and wanted to get in shape and boost my confidence. I haven’t suffered from bullying or any of that sort, because people are scared of me. They say I’m huge (muscle wise) and I respect that, but when I look at myself in the mirror I don’t see anything special. For the past 3 months of training I’ve started to see my results decrease dramatically, it’s slowly getting back on track at the moment. I've barely raised the wait in anything on my upper body exercises. My legs are the strongest part of my body. When I first started I was squatting 2 plates (Ass to the grass) and Leg pressing 900+ pounds. So I decided to neglect legs for a couple months then went back to it. It was all good until I tore my soleous, (between your shin and calf) while playing basketball. I was unable to do legs for about 3 months then got back to it. I started squatting again, started from a plate and gradually went back up, then I started having hip and lower back pain after that, so I stopped deadlifts and squats and only did leg press. I am currently now doing squats with the weight at 185 and 12-15 reps 4 sets. However that’s not the issue, I want to improve on my whole upper body but I think I have HORRIBLE genetics but my friends tell me I’m pretty fuckin huge for my size. I've looked up to old school profession bodybuilders and they've been my idols since the beginning and I think the problem is that I want to be like them someday and keep seeing myself as little compared to other but say I’m big. My chest triceps and shoulder is the WEAKEST thing ever. I want to know your opinions on how to improve on them especially my triceps and shoulders. My back and biceps aren't a problem. In my opinion my genetically big body parts include my Traps, Quads, Hams, Gluts and Calves. When I go to the gym, I have no one to look up to, no one is there to motivate me, I go by myself and come out by myself. I don’t like to interact with people at the gym but people see ME as a role model. (For what reason, I don’t know) and there is no one in my old ass gym to motivate me. I just wanted you advice on some training and how I could stay motivated. Thank you.

Cellardweller
10-01-12, 9:52 pm
There are peeps on here way more in the know than me on here, but I'm going to beat them to the punch and ask what your routine and diet look like. I will say without knowing these things about you that you should never drop a body part out of your routine just because it's strong and your other parts are not where you want them to be. When you say your legs are strong but your upper body is weak, are you looking for your bench to match your squats in weight and reps? Usually your legs are far stronger. You walk, run and jump with them all day long. Again, your diet and routine are gong to help us help you.

As for motivation, no one can really motivate you. You have to want this for yourself. You don't like what you see in the mirror? Isn't that motivation? Do you really want to change that reflection? What are you willing to do? Well there are tons of great articles on this site to motivate you and inform you. Music can keep you pumped through a workout. There are lots of great personal Journey's on this site as well. But again, it comes down to you lighting a fire under your own ass in the end.

Edit: Does anyone even say "peeps" anymore? LOL

arm3n
10-01-12, 10:38 pm
There are peeps on here way more in the know than me on here, but I'm going to beat them to the punch and ask what your routine and diet look like. I will say without knowing these things about you that you should never drop a body part out of your routine just because it's strong and your other parts are not where you want them to be. When you say your legs are strong but your upper body is weak, are you looking for your bench to match your squats in weight and reps? Usually your legs are far stronger. You walk, run and jump with them all day long. Again, your diet and routine are gong to help us help you.

As for motivation, no one can really motivate you. You have to want this for yourself. You don't like what you see in the mirror? Isn't that motivation? Do you really want to change that reflection? What are you willing to do? Well there are tons of great articles on this site to motivate you and inform you. Music can keep you pumped through a workout. There are lots of great personal Journey's on this site as well. But again, it comes down to you lighting a fire under your own ass in the end.

Edit: Does anyone even say "peeps" anymore? LOL

So my diet is somewhat normal, tell me if I need improvements. So In the morning, It can vary from a cup of oatmeal with a Tbs. of Peanut butter/2 eggs/ or a protein shake. 2 hours later I can eat a bagel (whole wheat). 2 hours later I eat a smoked turkey sandwich with avocado, lettuce,tomatoes. 3 hours later it can vary from a can of tuna/shake/rice and (chicken or beef)/beans or any type of salad. 2 hours later again anything previously, mainly chicken or fish. Then I go work out and depending how I feel I get in another shake (cassein). I hit a gallon+ of water a day.

Cellardweller
10-02-12, 5:47 am
What's your routine? What do you do in the gym in a typical week?

Food seems light to me.

World Eater
10-02-12, 9:19 am
So my diet is somewhat normal, tell me if I need improvements. So In the morning, It can vary from a cup of oatmeal with a Tbs. of Peanut butter/2 eggs/ or a protein shake. 2 hours later I can eat a bagel (whole wheat). 2 hours later I eat a smoked turkey sandwich with avocado, lettuce,tomatoes. 3 hours later it can vary from a can of tuna/shake/rice and (chicken or beef)/beans or any type of salad. 2 hours later again anything previously, mainly chicken or fish. Then I go work out and depending how I feel I get in another shake (cassein). I hit a gallon+ of water a day.
So that's basically...
Meal 1 - Oatmeal w/ pb OR 2 eggs OR shake
Meal 2 - Bagel
Meal 3 - Smoked turkey sandwich w/ avocado, lettuce, tomatoes
Meal 3 - Can of tuna OR shake OR rice w/ meat
Meal 4 - ???
Meal 5 (post WO) - Cassein

Run this through one of those on line programs that counts calories, it doesn't seem like much at all.

You're 16, you're not supposed to look like a pro bodybuilder yet be it an oldschool one or Ronnie Coleman. Just eat a lot and train hard and you should be fine. Don't neglect or stop working bodyparts because you feel they're already big enough or you're "imbalanced", you're probably wrong.

zubda345
10-02-12, 10:16 am
Are you still fat? what do u wanna do 1st? get your bodyfat percentage down or build yourself up?

And people said it right. NEVER stop training a bodypart just cause you think it's big enough.

GUNZ
10-02-12, 2:35 pm

You are eating pretty clean, but problem is at your age you need more calories in your diet!! More protein, fats, and carbs to let your body grow and start to build muscle. Here is just a example, Meal 1-6 egg whites + 2 whole eggs and 1/2 cup oats, Meal 2-bagel with natural peanut butter + 1 scoop whey protein, Meal 3-Lunch- ground sirlion and white rice, Meal 4- fish or chicken and asparagus, Meal 5- post workout chicken or groud sirlion and baby red potatoes, Meal 6-6 egg whites 2 whole eggs 1 scoop casen protein and tble spoon natural peanut butter. This don't include pre workout and post protein shakes, im not the diet guru on this forvm but this is just a sample outline of some possible meals to consider. Good luck and keep working hard.

Aggression
10-02-12, 2:38 pm
1. Its called Bigorexia. We all have it. Friends think we're huge in comparison to them, yet we're comparing ourselves to the elite in the sport. Welcome to the party, pal.
2. Never stop training a body part. Train your lagging body parts harder.
3. Motivation comes from within.

arm3n
10-02-12, 7:32 pm
What's your routine? What do you do in the gym in a typical week?

Food seems light to me.

So The training split is:

Mondays: Chest, Tricep, little shoulders

Tuesday: Rest

Wednesday: Legs

Thursday: Abs

Friday: Back, Bicep, some shoulders

Saturday: Forearms

Sunday: Rest

Do you want me to list the excersises as well? I'm not happy with it so I'm thinking of changing it like so:

Monday: Arms (Bicep, tricep)

Tuesday: Legs

Wed.: Rest

Thurs.: Chest and shoulders

Firday: Back

Saturday: Abs

If you have a better Training split PLEASE let me know.

arm3n
10-02-12, 7:35 pm
Are you still fat? what do u wanna do 1st? get your bodyfat percentage down or build yourself up?

And people said it right. NEVER stop training a bodypart just cause you think it's big enough.

Well, Yeah I'm somewhat fat, I don't know how to precisely measure body fat percentage but I'm guessing I'm around 15%. I'd like to lose weight first, like hit 8% by May. I'd also like to get big as well.

arm3n
10-02-12, 7:37 pm
1. Its called Bigorexia. We all have it. Friends think we're huge in comparison to them, yet we're comparing ourselves to the elite in the sport. Welcome to the party, pal.

Yeah, Bigorexia. I don't really know, I see me as a big person, and I know I am but I just can't get enough of the looks of getting to my goal and dream.

arm3n
10-02-12, 7:38 pm

Yeah, Bigorexia. I don't really know, I see me as a big person, and I know I am but I just can't get enough of the looks of getting to my goal and dream. Also My arms are thin, but they are tall, is there any way I can make them wide is a specific exercise like adding thickness, my peak is already there.

zubda345
10-03-12, 8:21 am
Well, Yeah I'm somewhat fat, I don't know how to precisely measure body fat percentage but I'm guessing I'm around 15%. I'd like to lose weight first, like hit 8% by May. I'd also like to get big as well.

So The training split is:

Mondays: Chest, Tricep, little shoulders

Tuesday: Rest

Wednesday: Legs

Thursday: Abs

Friday: Back, Bicep, some shoulders

Saturday: Forearms

Do you want me to list the excersises as well? I'm not happy with it so I'm thinking of changing it like so:

Monday: Arms (Bicep, tricep)

Tuesday: Legs

Wed.: Rest

Thurs.: Chest and shoulders

Firday: Back

Saturday: Abs

If you have a better Training split PLEASE let me know.

You wanna lose fat, where's your cardio then? You do no cardio?

+ I would say try to do tri's with chest or backs.

What your sets look like? I mean how's the intensity and everything? How much time it takes you to finish a typical session? what are your rest periods between sets and between exercises?

Aggression
10-03-12, 9:02 am
Yeah, Bigorexia. I don't really know, I see me as a big person, and I know I am but I just can't get enough of the looks of getting to my goal and dream. Also My arms are thin, but they are tall, is there any way I can make them wide is a specific exercise like adding thickness, my peak is already there.

It takes YEARS, not a few months. And I don't mean to be an ass, but most of us have these aspirations of looking like Wrath or Ox and it will never happen; they're them. You're you. The best you can do is stay consistent, train hard, eat right, and bring the best physique that YOU can bring to the table. Dreams aren't easy to reach. So keep truckin'.

For arm thickness, rely on barbell curls, dumbbell curls, and hammer curls. In the end, increasing your caloric will increase thickness. And those exercises will aid in the process.

Cellardweller
10-03-12, 4:30 pm
...and give your tricepts lots of loving too. Skullcrushers, close grip bench presses and pressdowns. Your tri's make up 2/3 of your upper arm and will add to the thickness.

arm3n
10-03-12, 7:03 pm
You wanna lose fat, where's your cardio then? You do no cardio?

+ I would say try to do tri's with chest or backs.

What your sets look like? I mean how's the intensity and everything? How much time it takes you to finish a typical session? what are your rest periods between sets and between exercises?

I don't count the amount of sets I do, I just do enough until I'm tired enough maybe around 15 sets. Intensity is high reps from 8 -12. Rest periods are random, I know I should stay in the 45 second range correct? But sometimes I am too tired so I wait a little longer, should I drop the weight? Total gym time takes 1 hour and a half.

arm3n
10-03-12, 7:04 pm
It takes YEARS, not a few months. And I don't mean to be an ass, but most of us have these aspirations of looking like Wrath or Ox and it will never happen; they're them. You're you. The best you can do is stay consistent, train hard, eat right, and bring the best physique that YOU can bring to the table. Dreams aren't easy to reach. So keep truckin'.

For arm thickness, rely on barbell curls, dumbbell curls, and hammer curls. In the end, increasing your caloric will increase thickness. And those exercises will aid in the process.

Agreed. Thank you!

zubda345
10-03-12, 10:30 pm
I don't count the amount of sets I do, I just do enough until I'm tired enough maybe around 15 sets. Intensity is high reps from 8 -12. Rest periods are random, I know I should stay in the 45 second range correct? But sometimes I am too tired so I wait a little longer, should I drop the weight? Total gym time takes 1 hour and a half.

if it takes 1.5 hours, and the total sets you do are like 15 or so... You might be taking a lil more rest. Yesterday I did 32 sets for chest for the 1st time in my life and it took me 1 hour 5 mins as a total. But that's me.

You do not NEED to stay in the 45 secs rest range, u need to stay where it suits you. I guess sometimes everyone of us do take more rest periods between sets then they usually do. You'r good. Keep it rolling.

and Cellardweller said something for your tri's which is good.

+ you u don't do any cardio? (btw I am also not doing any cardio it's been like 2 months lol)

arm3n
10-03-12, 11:06 pm
if it takes 1.5 hours, and the total sets you do are like 15 or so... You might be taking a lil more rest. Yesterday I did 32 sets for chest for the 1st time in my life and it took me 1 hour 5 mins as a total. But that's me.

You do not NEED to stay in the 45 secs rest range, u need to stay where it suits you. I guess sometimes everyone of us do take more rest periods between sets then they usually do. You'r good. Keep it rolling.

and Cellardweller said something for your tri's which is good.

+ you u don't do any cardio? (btw I am also not doing any cardio it's been like 2 months lol)

Well, I guess I have to actually counting the sets now on lol. There isn't any intense cardio, I walk around school A LOT and my gym is 15 minutes away so I get about 30 SOLID minutes of walking, if that's considered "cardio".

zubda345
10-04-12, 1:35 am
Well, I guess I have to actually counting the sets now on lol. There isn't any intense cardio, I walk around school A LOT and my gym is 15 minutes away so I get about 30 SOLID minutes of walking, if that's considered "cardio".

That might be cardioing but that's not consistent... try to be a lil consistent., perhaps make the 15 mins walk a 15 mins HIIT?? like 30secs sprints 30 secs walk all those 15 mins, or maybe 20secs sprints and 30 secs walk...