PDA

View Full Version : Type 1 Diabetes

Pearsall85
10-02-12, 11:44 am
Hey all, I'm looking to see if there are any other Type 1 Diabetics who use this forum that could help me. I've recently been diagnosed and with the first stages of getting my insulin sorted I've lost just short of 30lbs which I obviously want to put back on and more. So I'm looking for help building a meal plan and any information or tips I should watch out for whilst using insulin. I'm currently taking a fast acting insulin with my main meals and a long acting of a night.

Stu.

Firefist
10-02-12, 12:16 pm
Hey all, I'm looking to see if there are any other Type 1 Diabetics who use this forum that could help me. I've recently been diagnosed and with the first stages of getting my insulin sorted I've lost just short of 30lbs which I obviously want to put back on and more. So I'm looking for help building a meal plan and any information or tips I should watch out for whilst using insulin. I'm currently taking a fast acting insulin with my main meals and a long acting of a night.

Stu.

Sup man. This is definitely something you should get sorted out with your doc before going balls to the walls with a program/diet. Make sure you have a good control over your blood sugar first, thats the most important thing. The 30 pounds you lost can be directly correlated to your elevated blood glucose levels. Increasing macros via diet or taking any of the various post workout products out there with a healthy dose of carbs in it can spike you, which defeats the phrase "controlling diabetes" in the first place. And while it may not be the worst thing at the moment, its detrimental in the long run. On the flip side, with your insulin medication, you can reach overly low glucose levels with exercise, so keep a snack with you. I'd also monitor your BGL before and after training to see how it fluctuates for future reference ya know? This probably is all stuff you already know, but I gotta reiterate, talk to your doctor or HCP to figure out whats best for you. Theres some pretty knowledgeable peeps on here, but when shit goes medical, its probably best to seek professional help.

Pearsall85
10-02-12, 1:23 pm
Hey cheers for the post, I am well under way now with getting my blood sugar under control my numbers have become a lot more stable. I am regularly seeing my diabetic nurse and have an appointment with my dietician this friday. I have already had the go ahead to continuing taking my whey protein shake from my dietician and nurse as it is low carb and sugar free. I just wanted some ideas of diet and training from other more experienced diabetics I can take to my dietician to see what they say.

Firefist
10-02-12, 1:58 pm
Good on ya brother.

Im not diabetic, but here's what I can offer. Training has a hell of a lot of benefits, including improving your sensitivity to insulin (converting glucose to glycogen). I read an interview a while back with a natural champion who was a diabetic. With his regular dosages, he was able to train with partners at a high level without missing a beat. Keep in mind with this, exercise has insulin-like effects, and with your insulin treatment, it can lower your BG to levels that you dont want to be at. Reiterating i know, but we just dont want to see one of our own in any trouble. I believe ACSM recomends 2-4 days a week at 10-15 reps in your sets, at a low to moderate intensity (dont quote me). I'd assume this could be something you're already doing for a while, or may be too easy for you at this point. And clearly, most of us on here throw ACSM recomended numbers out the window haha. At any rate, if youre just starting to get back into it, try that out at least and add where you can. Keep adding and keep monitoring to see how far you can safely go with it.

btw, insulin is a hell of a drug, especially in the bodybuilding world. Make sure you are taking the recomended doses when youre required to.

Hope some of your fellow diabetic trainers can chime in on this too.