PDA

View Full Version : Animal App?

rbowman91
10-04-12, 1:19 pm
Im not an Animal employee, so i hope im not overstepping my bounds, but has anyone thought of how cool it would be to have a downloadable animal/universal app for smartphones?

It could allow for very quick FORVM access while on the go. Maybe provide daily inspiration from animal athelete adds. Perhaps have a powerlifting strength tracker or bodybuilding workout logger so we could share routines were using. Maybe special promos and announcements etc etc.

I was navigating the forum on my iphone but i rarely do, because its easier to navigate a web page from an actual computer. I would definitley pay for an app that helps link me to the animal community even faster. There are many "fitness" apps, but not a single one for hardcore bodybuilding or power lifting.

Any thoughts? Or is this a dumb idea? Totally open to opinion either way lol

Tbrat
10-04-12, 1:49 pm
Im not an Animal employee, so i hope im not overstepping my bounds, but has anyone thought of how cool it would be to have a downloadable animal/universal app for smartphones?

It could allow for very quick FORVM access while on the go. Maybe provide daily inspiration from animal athelete adds. Perhaps have a powerlifting strength tracker or bodybuilding workout logger so we could share routines were using. Maybe special promos and announcements etc etc.

I was navigating the forum on my iphone but i rarely do, because its easier to navigate a web page from an actual computer. I would definitley pay for an app that helps link me to the animal community even faster. There are many "fitness" apps, but not a single one for hardcore bodybuilding or power lifting.

I love the idea.... it is pretty annoying trying to update the FORVM via my phone. Its actually quite convenient to read, just when it comes to typing it gets all squirrely.

MRmichael.hooker
10-04-12, 1:55 pm
I love this idea.

Aggression
10-04-12, 2:07 pm
But is a fancy, technologically savvy app really 'animal'?

rbowman91
10-04-12, 2:32 pm

Multiple ways to see it and i understand where your coming from. On the other hand, an ipod is a fancy device, but it still feels animal when i use it to blast AC/DC on headphones when im deadliftin. My thoughts would see it as a way to stay immersed in the animal nation when im on-the-go.

I see why staying true to the brand is important. There is definite validity to your point. I just see it as a way to stay hooked in to our community, which is already technology-based (internet FORVM, instagram following of athletes and U-reps, etc etc).

Unlike other companies, animal has a strong community within it, which is unique. Just an idea of how to make that more accessible lol

Nix0r
10-04-12, 2:36 pm
Here's another way to look at it. Is it worth it to bring on another staff member (or outsource the job to any other sort of mobile dev company)? If they wanted to develop it in-house, depending on how well-staffed they may be in IT, it might be outside their staff's scope to try and devote time to developing it. Additionally, there's a bunch of red tape to cut through to have those apps made available in both Google Play and the App Store (developers also have to pay a fee to have their apps made available through Apple).

I personally will wait until I get to my computer to post about my grueling, arm-blasting workout.

B.D.Smash
10-05-12, 2:29 am
I would definitely pay for this App. Android and IOS please.

B.D.Smash
10-05-12, 2:30 am
Multiple ways to see it and i understand where your coming from. On the other hand, an ipod is a fancy device, but it still feels animal when i use it to blast AC/DC on headphones when im deadliftin. My thoughts would see it as a way to stay immersed in the animal nation when im on-the-go.

I see why staying true to the brand is important. There is definite validity to your point. I just see it as a way to stay hooked in to our community, which is already technology-based (internet FORVM, instagram following of athletes and U-reps, etc etc).

Unlike other companies, animal has a strong community within it, which is unique. Just an idea of how to make that more accessible lol

Hands up if you can't stand the music they play in the gym and need your I(whatever) to drown out Britney and that boy band from the UK?

awayoflife
10-05-12, 2:49 am
Hands up if you can't stand the music they play in the gym and need your I(whatever) to drown out Britney and that boy band from the UK?

Amin to that brotha'!

I was actually searching the app store for an Animal app like a year ago lol. It would be an excellent way to provide fast and easy access to the FORVM and animalpak.com. Is it too high tech and fancy? It depends on how you make it! If it’s just an app that has cool articles tips and stuff, plus a smartphone friendly version of the FORVM and maybe some sort of “animal log/notebook/training jurnal”, whatever you may call it, to keep track of your progress (weight gain/loss, PR’s, sets, reps, meals), it could actually be very cool! I’m not saying to add in calorie counters or fancy progress charts and what not, just a simple, no frills ANIMAL app.

Jay
10-05-12, 4:08 am
Cool idea. Right now I have the webpage for Universal and Animalpak saved as an 'app' on my iphone.

rbowman91
10-05-12, 12:12 pm
Cool idea. Right now I have the webpage for Universal and Animalpak saved as an 'app' on my iphone.

How'd you do that? I'd like to be able to access everything quicker. The only reason I don't check it much from my phone is due to the hassle in getting to the web page via smart phone browser, logging in on that tiny little screen, loading times, etc etc. Would like to stay much more plugged in.

ggfusion
10-05-12, 12:25 pm

I would buy that app as well, I think it is a good idea.

ionacht
10-05-12, 8:14 pm
I too have thought about an app on and off. Could include gym, diet , and nutrition logs. Get fancy and throw in a gym locator for animals on the run. With the right marketing approach, they should be able to cover costs. The way the wind seems to be blowing however, I rather suspect a Universal app before an Animal one.

And lol at tech not being "Animal". Without the tech behind the med industry, we wouldn't have Animal sups to begin with.

Appollonian
10-05-12, 8:28 pm
How'd you do that? I'd like to be able to access everything quicker. The only reason I don't check it much from my phone is due to the hassle in getting to the web page via smart phone browser, logging in on that tiny little screen, loading times, etc etc. Would like to stay much more plugged in.

I honestly have no issues, and 3G in my area is just fine. Plus I always stay logged in, an the threads I check regularly are emailed to me for updates.

Not saying I'm against an app, just I have no issue checking on my phone.

mritter3
10-05-12, 8:49 pm
I would say that if there was gonna be a site with an app Universal would prob be the one...animal is more "underground" and don't want to use the word hardcore but I will for this..where as the U is kind of the modern and easily accessible site so IMO an app would be cool the U but I like animal like it is..creature of habit I guess.

LiveFast
10-05-12, 10:03 pm
Sounds like a great idea

Flash419
10-06-12, 12:16 am
Love this idea.. as it has been noted lately the Forum seems to have lost some of the momentum it had from the start, I think and app that we could log workouts, check the forum, read articles would be a great idea. Lets face it, most of us have a smart phone on us for most of the day, it would be great to allow easy access to best bodybuilding / weightlifting site on the net.

Bodybuilding.com actually has a great app, that has taken them a few updates to work well, but it is a nice option for those of us who are constantly on the go. I'd love to see Animal do something similar. And with a link to the store it would a money maker too.

Shukin
10-06-12, 8:49 am
There needs to be some balance with remaining "Animal" via image and moving with the times. Hell we could all go totally animal and start killing and eating our food raw. A question like this comes down to end result and goal, do you want to move into the 21st century and become a real player in the supplement industry or stay "garage?" Either way you will be met with criticism and support.

Target market, target earnings, target exposure, these are the things I feel need to be considered.

Noob Saibot
10-06-12, 9:06 am
There needs to be some balance with remaining "Animal" via image and moving with the times. Hell we could all go totally animal and start killing and eating our food raw. A question like this comes down to end result and goal, do you want to move into the 21st century and become a real player in the supplement industry or stay "garage?" Either way you will be met with criticism and support.

Target market, target earnings, target exposure, these are the things I feel need to be considered.

Animalpak.com doesn't really give me any issues while using it from my iPhone. Not saying an app wouldn't be useful just probably not a priority right now.

Shukin
10-06-12, 10:21 am
Animalpak.com doesn't really give me any issues while using it from my iPhone. Not saying an app wouldn't be useful just probably not a priority right now.

For me personally, i don't need it. I was just responding to the question of weather or not it was "Animal."
Are cutting edge supps "Animal?"

Throwing around the white board where you draw the line on what is "Animal" or not?

MikeNice
10-06-12, 12:50 pm
It doesn't even have to be an app. A good mobile version of the site would be helpful. I like to check from my Black Berry, but it is a pain. I have to keep zooming and scrolling on every page. I think a mobile site would fit the "underground" and "hardcore" image better. It goes along with the ethos of "right tool for the right job."

Chuckkah
10-06-12, 12:57 pm
I think that the gym locator would be awesome. As for nutrition trackers I have myfitnesspal, and anyone that's used that knows there isn't a better one out there.

Shukin
10-06-12, 1:13 pm
It doesn't even have to be an app. A good mobile version of the site would be helpful. I like to check from my Black Berry, but it is a pain. I have to keep zooming and scrolling on every page. I think a mobile site would fit the "underground" and "hardcore" image better. It goes along with the ethos of "right tool for the right job."

You need to up grade, black berry is out of date...lol
Just messing bro

JasonG
10-06-12, 1:44 pm
A lot of forums are on tapatalk app. Haven't looked to see if the forvm is supported though. That would be the easiest way to go I think.

Noob Saibot
10-06-12, 2:02 pm
For me personally, i don't need it. I was just responding to the question of weather or not it was "Animal."
Are cutting edge supps "Animal?"

Throwing around the white board where you draw the line on what is "Animal" or not?

Totally agree. (Sorry didn't mean to quote you on my first reply as if it were directed at you)

BRIGNAC
10-06-12, 4:15 pm
I think it would be good. Easy way to connect to the animal community just think... u had a long hot hard day at work, cldnt get ur rage down until u got to gym but u need to wait a few minutes to get that "Animal" feeling pumping thru ur veins so while u step onto treadmil to help get the blood flowing u pull out ur phone/ipod watev u hav click on the forum app read a few post look at some tips, check out the training section all in all to help u get that intense motivation pumpin blood thru ur veins so u can go H.A.M!!
Everyone has their opinion this is just mine.

MikeNice
10-06-12, 8:24 pm
You need to up grade, black berry is out of date...lol
Just messing bro

Black Berry is the dino of smart phones. I know that. The thing is where I work you can't have anything extra clipped to your belt. That means it has to go in my pocket for 12 hours at a time. At any given time I've got a pocket kinfe, keys, water bottle, pen, handcuffs, or other objects stuffed in my pockets. So, something like an iPhone isn't going to cut it. I bought the only combo flip-phone/smart-phone.

It didn't hurt that it was only $35 with a two year contract. Now I can't wait for the contract to end.

Shukin
10-07-12, 12:19 am
Black Berry is the dino of smart phones. I know that. The thing is where I work you can't have anything extra clipped to your belt. That means it has to go in my pocket for 12 hours at a time. At any given time I've got a pocket kinfe, keys, water bottle, pen, handcuffs, or other objects stuffed in my pockets. So, something like an iPhone isn't going to cut it. I bought the only combo flip-phone/smart-phone.

It didn't hurt that it was only $35 with a two year contract. Now I can't wait for the contract to end.

Before i just up graded last week, i was using a Juke, I loved it but it was impossible to text. My brother loves his black burry, I actually like their keyboard.

Chuckkah
10-07-12, 12:32 am
Before i just up graded last week, i was using a Juke, I loved it but it was impossible to text. My brother loves his black burry, I actually like their keyboard.

Man those take me back... haha. I always wanted one but I was broke, and that's when brick phones were in the hundreds.

Cellardweller
10-07-12, 12:11 pm
I don't think having a cell app is unAnimal. It's not changing the FORVM, just opening more roads to get here.

wedge
10-08-12, 12:41 pm
An Animal Ap, should they go ahead and release one, will not make you any less hardcore or bad ass.

Far Beyond Driven
10-09-12, 8:06 am
An Animal Ap, should they go ahead and release one, will not make you any less hardcore or bad ass.

Back in 06, Jay Cutler said in an interview that he was addicted to Blackberry. And he's a hell of a lot more "animal" than I. I age, the app would rule.