PDA

View Full Version : Gym Music

gfawcett22
10-10-12, 1:12 pm
What's that one song you turn to before a new PR in squat? The one song you know will just cause your skin to tingle and rage to come out? Mine is Judith by A Perfect Circle or Riot Maker by tech9

1JFS3
10-10-12, 1:17 pm
Either No Church in the Wild or Jesus Walks, or Lights Remix by Bassnectar

P Diesel
10-10-12, 1:26 pm
what music is on will b the last thing i ever think about. self talk will beat any clever grouping of lyrics w a beat

P

Aggression
10-10-12, 1:39 pm
what music is on will b the last thing i ever think about. self talk will beat any clever grouping of lyrics w a beat

P

#truth. The majority of the time I end up blacking out during a lift, not hearing anything at all.

gfawcett22
10-10-12, 2:44 pm
well even in the car on the way to the gym

Nix0r
10-10-12, 2:45 pm
If it involves vikings, I'm all in.

Adrenaline
10-10-12, 2:48 pm
The Acacia Strain - 'balboa towers'

Big Wides
10-10-12, 2:58 pm

P

#truth. The majority of the time I end up blacking out during a lift, not hearing anything at all.

I'm with these guys, if it is a major lift music is the last thing on my mind and with squats/deadlifts I try not to have anything playing. Now for other stuff, while going heavy my iPod is on shuffle so sometimes I'm lifting to Frank Sinatra, The Hooters, Lamb of God, Wu-Tang.....the list goes on

Your mindset should set the tempo/focus, and not the music. I have the music to tune out people

Chuckkah
10-10-12, 3:06 pm
Snuff by Slipknot. It's a sad song but that chorus...

MikeNice
10-10-12, 3:28 pm
I'm really getting in to stuff by Noya, Kraddy, and Glitch Mob if I listen to music when working out. It has the right beat and tempo to keep me moving, but I can zone out and get in my own brain. It helps me focus.

Usually there is no music. I've noticed that nothing really pushes me as hard as my brain saying "fuck you, you can do better than that, two more reps now!"

Aggression
10-10-12, 3:30 pm
Someone recommended 'Hard Rock Strength Training' station on Pandora. That shit is good.

TotalxWar
10-10-12, 4:06 pm
The Acacia Strain - 'balboa towers'

This dude is moshin!
I am probably going to see TAS/Cruel Hand on Friday!

TotalxWar
10-10-12, 4:08 pm
This has been my go to squat PR song for a while now. It has never let me down. I like to start the rep as the last beatdown kicks in.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRziVCDCG2I
World Of Pain. Suffer.
Mosh. Crowdkill. Squat.

gfawcett22
10-10-12, 4:21 pm

P

My gym plays fucking gay ass music so its mainly just to block that out

DEADn
10-10-12, 4:27 pm
If I am listening to music and doing a big lift I usually put on 'Push it' by Static X but on the flip side, when I lift I have some form of talk radio on because music tends to the annoy the spit out of me. I don't know why, maybe I am getting older or something. Even if I am home the entire day with the radio on I won't have any music on. All talk radio. NPR format or sport talk and maybe little bit of Christian radio in there as well. Am I weird?

P Diesel
10-10-12, 9:37 pm

yup, everything around u pretty much fades away

P

P Diesel
10-10-12, 9:40 pm
My gym plays fucking gay ass music so its mainly just to block that out

not knockin ur method brotha, just not for me. oh, cardio on the other hand!! shit plug me in

P

P Diesel
10-10-12, 9:40 pm
I'm with these guys, if it is a major lift music is the last thing on my mind and with squats/deadlifts I try not to have anything playing. Now for other stuff, while going heavy my iPod is on shuffle so sometimes I'm lifting to Frank Sinatra, The Hooters, Lamb of God, Wu-Tang.....the list goes on

Your mindset should set the tempo/focus, and not the music. I have the music to tune out people

my man wides comes through. havent seen u since iron sport big homey, we need to catch up

P

Pizzalamp
10-11-12, 6:42 am
the only music i need in the gym is the sound of the weights clanking
if you need music to get motivated, then you better get your act together

ajoaks
10-11-12, 11:05 am
I know I would prefer to go music-less, but in a college Rec center, you'd shoot yourself listening to all the crap people say in there. Plus having headphones in is a good way to keep people from coming up trying to have a full blown conversation with you. My go to is a mix of some old school rock like Metallica, with some newer stuff like Slipknot, Alter Bridge, and ADTR

Haack_on_Attack
10-12-12, 1:22 pm

Nicely said. I couldnt agree more. the only reason I ever bought Beats was to tune people out. I cannot stand hearing people talk about anything and everything besides their workout..go find a planet fitness.

MRmichael.hooker
10-12-12, 1:41 pm
Usually if im listening to music, and im going for a pr, it's good ol' "Down with the sickness". Lately, i've been listening to (no jokes please lol) Triple H's theme from wwe. I like the song, and I grew up admiring the progress he made towards a bodybuilder's physique. Motorhead did a good job in the song.

Xaero
01-11-14, 6:25 pm

P

Normally I would disagree with you but I read this comment yesterday and thought "why dont I lift without music and see what happens?" and you know what I broke every PR I had today, great advice. Great advice Diesel

But to reply to the person who started the thread I range from Death Metal, Death Core, Doom Metal, Progressive Death Metal (shit ton of metal), Hardstyle electronic, dubstep, glitch, some trance, rap, trap rap, (mostly rap with a good beat or drop). Pretty much anything slow enough to give me a good cadence with an aggressive drop

JHOORNSTRA
01-12-14, 10:53 pm
I like pop evil, trenches or rammstein, metallica, anything hard but my gym I'm currently at would never play that so I listen to shit like taylor swift which just makes me mad and I lift just as well...would be nice to have a change of pace though...

Malloy1344
01-13-14, 7:46 am
Unless I have a training partner, I usually have music going. I always have something blasting for my max lifts. It helps me focus, tune everything out and ignore the crowd.

Top Choices:

This Calling - All That Remains
Two Weeks - All That Remains
Bang Bang - Rammstein
Forsaken - As I lay Dying
New Abortion - Slipknot
Under and Over It - 5 Finger Death Punch

Catharsis
01-13-14, 8:04 pm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAA0EYZuulI

The breakdown at about 1:57 gets me pretty jacked. But I agree with what others have posted. I think it's valuable to be able to focus and bring out the inner rage without the aid of music. On the other hand, music is great for drowning out some of the more abnoxious sounds and often music playing throughout the gym.

fattmatt
01-16-14, 12:07 am
" For Those Who Were Crucified" by All Out War. But in all seriousness by the time I am under the bar all I can hear is myself breathing.

D-Kev
01-21-14, 2:57 am
Foo Fighters / My Hero ... Especially after the guitar break

Dman
01-21-14, 3:52 am
For the fans of any HEAVY music such as hardcore/metal give this a listen next training sesh I guarantee you'll be hyped up!!! Lionheart new song Hail Mary!!!!!

http://youtu.be/OCQdMagQVRw