PDA

View Full Version : Just made two decisions.

MikeNice
10-13-12, 1:56 pm
I just made two decisions and they seem to be slightly contradicting each other.

By summer 2013, I am going to be in BLET. I got to do it because I love the work. I'm a non commisioned uniform patrol officer at a campus PD now. I know what the work entails and I don't want to be running wingman forever.

I want to end up in The Cage. I don't really know the first thing about how to get there. All I know is hit the gym, eat right, sleep tight, and stay consistent. I know there are guys that would be willing to physically fight for a shot. I don't even know if Animal would let a "bro" in there other than in Pros v Bros. I just know that I've seen the videos and I want in.

I have to get the conditioning back up for BLET. They focus on cardio and body weight exercise. The Cage is in the exact opposite direction. It is time to make a goal and get there. Any words of wisdom are appreciated.

Wish me luck. Sunday is rest day and Monday I hit the gym with Animal Training 1. No more time for nerves, excuses, or bullshit.

Carlson1
10-13-12, 2:48 pm
Love the attitude bro, keep at it and let us know about your progress.

MRmichael.hooker
10-13-12, 3:00 pm
Which pd are you looking to get employed with? How long have you been working out w/ weights? What about cardio/cardio type activities?

MikeNice
10-13-12, 4:07 pm
I worked half ass with weights for about six months last year. In other words, inconsistent and had no idea what I was doing. I then switched up to resistance bands around Christmas and started on the cardio and conditioning. Hurt my neck and shoulder in mid febuary and couldn't work out until may. Did some conditioning and strength with the bands for a little while just trying to recover. I've been using the bands for about 90 days on a purely muscle building drive. Decent gains, but shoulders are still week as hell.

My cardio has suffered because, well honestly I haven't been hitting it as hard. When you pull 36 to 48 hours on your feet every week patrolling plus have leg day, high energy cardio tends to kill any chance of leg recovery. I was doing resisted running tabatas, cardio kickboxing, and or football training following liveexercise.com. My legs just ended up feeling like garbage. I started having hip flexor issues again. Stretching helped, but I was losing strength in my legs. I was lucky to squat 60lbs for reps somedays. I have to find the balance.

As far as PDs, I'm hoping to get the department I'm with to send me through BLET. (The politics is the big hurdle.) If not then I know Chapel Hill, Durham city, Durham County, Raleigh, and Wake County all hire and put people through the academy. Durham city has a continual job posting. Being one of the 100 most dangerous cities in the country makes it gruelling.

I've got the physical fitness requirements for all of them. 40 situps without bracing my feet is what I can't do. (Working on it.) Durham city requires a 17 minute 1.5 mile run. I have never run more than a quarter mile in my life. I have to start working on that.

MRmichael.hooker
10-13-12, 8:46 pm
You've got time bro, just slowly start adding in cardio lil by lil. I'd start on the tredmill, maybe running 1/4 mile 3x a week. Next week, 1/2 mile 3 x a week. Id do that up until you're at 1.5 mile. Walk-run-walk-run if need be, and keep going until you can make it 1.5 miles, and then start working on speed. As far as leg days, maybe spread em out to every other week? I went 4 months straight with no leg days a couple years back to work on Army PT. I mean, you're not trying to compete, so I wouldn't worry. You could even incorporate leg training mixed in w/ cardio with some functional training. Also, sprinting helps build muscularity, and would help with getting ready for BLET

B.D.Smash
10-14-12, 10:32 pm
I just made two decisions and they seem to be slightly contradicting each other.

By summer 2013, I am going to be in BLET. I got to do it because I love the work. I'm a non commisioned uniform patrol officer at a campus PD now. I know what the work entails and I don't want to be running wingman forever.

I want to end up in The Cage. I don't really know the first thing about how to get there. All I know is hit the gym, eat right, sleep tight, and stay consistent. I know there are guys that would be willing to physically fight for a shot. I don't even know if Animal would let a "bro" in there other than in Pros v Bros. I just know that I've seen the videos and I want in.

I have to get the conditioning back up for BLET. They focus on cardio and body weight exercise. The Cage is in the exact opposite direction. It is time to make a goal and get there. Any words of wisdom are appreciated.

Wish me luck. Sunday is rest day and Monday I hit the gym with Animal Training 1. No more time for nerves, excuses, or bullshit.

You don't need luck with an attitude like that bro. FUcking go for it.