PDA

View Full Version : Grub in C-Bus...

Universal Rep
10-22-12, 9:35 am
Anyone recommend some good places to eat? Good dishes, prices, locations, etc? Let's start up a good list of restaurants fellas...

G Diesel
10-22-12, 9:44 am
In relation to the expo hall, Barley's is a really solid choice. Good quality menu and reasonably priced.

Peace, G

Firefist
10-22-12, 9:46 am
Piadas.

For yall who got love for chipotle or any of the big burrito joints, this one does it with an Italian spin. Grilled or crispy chicken, fish, steak, calamari to start, pomodoro or alfredo, 5 different cheeses, different pestos, all the trims including sundried tomatos, all wrapped up in a garlic butter shell, or tossed in a salad or angel hair pasta. Smack down two of these bad boys every time I drive down there for conferences.

Of course you got your mongo and cheesecake factory too haha

Universal Rep
10-22-12, 9:48 am
Piadas.

For yall who got love for chipotle or any of the big burrito joints, this one does it with an Italian spin. Grilled or crispy chicken, fish, steak, calamari to start, pomodoro or alfredo, 5 different cheeses, different pestos, all the trims including sundried tomatos, all wrapped up in a garlic butter shell, or tossed in a salad or angel hair pasta. Smack down two of these bad boys every time I drive down there for conferences.

Of course you got your mongo and cheesecake factory too haha

Piadas... How much for a typical meal and where is this joint located?

Also, anyone been to Thurman Cafe, Ohio Deli & Restaurant, Schmidt's Sausages, Steve's Gyros, Izzy's, Hot Sauce Williams or Camp Washington Chili Parlor? These close by?

Kowboy
10-22-12, 10:02 am
Ohio Deli down the road on South High - lots of Arnold traffic and has the Dagwood as featured on Man vs Food.
Thurman's - best burgers around, thurmator is a crazy big sandwich, hard to take down.
Elevator - good pub w/ good food although pricey

Universal Rep
10-22-12, 10:04 am
Ohio Deli down the road on South High - lots of Arnold traffic and has the Dagwood as featured on Man vs Food.
Thurman's - best burgers around, thurmator is a crazy big sandwich, hard to take down.
Elevator - good pub w/ good food although pricey

Yup. I'd like to see someone down the Dagwood or the Thurmanator and the vid posted on the FORVM...

Kowboy
10-22-12, 10:05 am

Also, anyone been to Thurman Cafe, Ohio Deli & Restaurant, Schmidt's Sausages, Steve's Gyros, Izzy's, Hot Sauce Williams or Camp Washington Chili Parlor? These close by?

I live here so oh yeah, Ohio Deli has really good sandwiches. Even if you do not get the dagwood they are incredible. Thurmans is the best burger you can get, amazingly seasoned and extremely good. Schmidt's has an amazing food bar called the autobahn which showcases a lot of the german food. It is hearty and thick and you can get all kinds of varities of sausages. All three of these are pretty close, I live in town so if you want to go I can always pick up some guys in the van and haul a load out there. I know Thurman's gets crazy busy during the Arnold so expect a 2 hour wait. I would say if you want to hit it we all go on Thursday when you guys get in.

Kowboy
10-22-12, 10:06 am
Yup. I'd like to see someone down the Dagwood or the Thurmanator and the vid posted on the FORVM...

I have done the Thurmanator and did it, it was tough but I was hungry about 4 hours later. The dagwood had me laying in the back of my car in cold sweats. It is really hard to knock down that much bread and the pound of fries. The record is 4 min 35 secs or some stupid shit, done during Arnold. The time limit is what makes the Dagwood tough, 30 minutes or 45 I forget goes by really fast.

naturalguy
10-22-12, 10:07 am
In relation to the expo hall, Barley's is a really solid choice. Good quality menu and reasonably priced.

Peace, G

Barley's is the best kept secret in C-Bus, right across from the expo hall and it's not crowded (but now that we posted this, it might be). I had some awesome bangers and mash there

Firefist
10-22-12, 10:18 am

My bad.... like 6-7 bucks a burrito/bowl. Theres a few of em in the area. The one I go to is a little past the stadium going towards campus. Steves and hot sauce are like 4 hours to the north in cleveland, but are both awesome if any of yall ever hit up an ABC up there.

Aggression
10-22-12, 10:36 am

Peace, G

Barley's is the best kept secret in C-Bus, right across from the expo hall and it's not crowded (but now that we posted this, it might be). I had some awesome bangers and mash there

http://i605.photobucket.com/albums/tt133/harch33/IMG_01211.jpg

http://i605.photobucket.com/albums/tt133/harch33/IMG_01221.jpg

/thread

G Diesel
10-22-12, 10:45 am
My bad.... like 6-7 bucks a burrito/bowl. Theres a few of em in the area. The one I go to is a little past the stadium going towards campus.

That is a pretty good deal. Will have to keep my eyes open for that place.

Peace, G

P Diesel
10-22-12, 10:47 am
uhhh, i didnt get to get my grub on last year too much haha. i need to make up for lost time this year. steer clear of the sushi ya'll

P

mritter3
10-22-12, 2:40 pm
Mongolian BBQ...nuff said

Razor
10-22-12, 3:10 pm
Nix what the hell is the place with the garbage burger. Dear lord that was heaven. Max and Irmas?

naturalguy
10-22-12, 3:11 pm
Nix what the hell is the place with the garbage burger. Dear lord that was heaven. Max and Irmas?

Yup that's the one. Max & Erma's is a staple out in C-Bus, the warm chocolate chip cookies (with milk) are amazing

Nix0r
10-22-12, 3:13 pm

Yup that's the one. Max & Erma's is a staple out in C-Bus, the warm chocolate chip cookies (with milk) are amazing

God yes. Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh dear God yes.

Razor
10-22-12, 3:13 pm

Oh that's right. Didnt' you guys at the "cool" table OD on cookies that one night?! hahaha

Razor
10-22-12, 3:15 pm
Nix that shiny new avatar adds like 200" to your lat spread. Just sayin haha

C.Coronato
10-22-12, 3:34 pm
uhhh, i didnt get to get my grub on last year too much haha. i need to make up for lost time this year. steer clear of the sushi ya'll

P

Noted. lol

smoothballer
10-25-12, 3:52 pm
Haven't been to this particular one, but I love Brazilian Steakhouses. This one is only 1/2 mile from the Expo.

http://www.rodiziogrill.com/columbus-at-the-arena-district

Just look at the menu:

http://www.rodiziogrill.com/menu

Nix0r
10-25-12, 5:25 pm
Haven't been to this particular one, but I love Brazilian Steakhouses. This one is only 1/2 mile from the Expo.

Just look at the menu:

WHAT.

We're going. Pepper your angus.

smoothballer
10-26-12, 11:00 am
WHAT.

We're going. Pepper your angus.

You know I'm game.

I just went to a Brazilian Steakhouse on Sunday for my Mom's B-Day. Destroyed that shit.

Razor
10-26-12, 11:03 am

Just look at the menu:

I'm in. That's it.

naturalguy
10-26-12, 1:10 pm
Brazillian steakhouse's are awesome, you eat like a king

Bruiser
10-26-12, 1:18 pm
Has anybody had the Thurminator burger?

http://www.thethurmancafe.com/

C.Coronato
10-26-12, 1:27 pm
Brazillian steakhouse's are awesome, you eat like a king

YES. First one I went to was with you, G, and Kuclo in TX. Amazing.

No, but Id be happy to! ha

smoothballer
10-26-12, 1:32 pm
YES. First one I went to was with you, G, and Kuclo in TX. Amazing.

Was that Texas De Brazil? I have been to that place in Dallas. Damn Tasty!

naturalguy
10-26-12, 1:51 pm
Was that Texas De Brazil? I have been to that place in Dallas. Damn Tasty!

Yup, one of the best meals ever

smoothballer
10-26-12, 2:34 pm
Yup, one of the best meals ever

There is one called Brasa here in Cleveland. Also very very delicious!

J-Dawg
10-26-12, 4:33 pm

Just look at the menu:

That looks really good!

Nix0r
10-26-12, 4:37 pm
That looks really good!

I know you want to go, J.

Mr. Dead
11-08-12, 12:44 pm
That looks really good!

Agreed...

Madcat
11-13-12, 11:06 am
Going to chime in since I worked and still do work at time in the industry starting with proximity to the actual event location/hotels;

1)Max and Ermas right accross the st. burgers, steaks, chicken, salads, and COOKIES, you all know the place.
2)Brazalian steakhouse just opened, reviews are ok, but they also are not coming from bodybuilders or Animals, so I would say this is a must try.
3)Flat Iron-steakhouse just outside the venue as well, walk towards max/ermas and turn LEFT, same street, small place, but heard the steaks are legit, they grill them outside I believe year round on a charcol grill and have huge smokers too.
4)Hilton; yeah, if you didnt see my last post on hotels, check them out, friend is head bartender there and Elevator both, and Hilton's real opening is this month, but apparently its a full menu resturant, and I am sure they will have steak specials that week, like most.
5)Elevator, yes it's a tad more expensive, BUT the food is all fresh, hand made, NOTHING is store bought and add water style. They also have 12-15 kids of beer at all times, brewed a block away so it's always fresh. I am biased here because the owners are good friends. BUT if you like Chicken Wings, trust me, they have the best in town, I don't care what anyone says. Especially their homemade habanero hot sauce ones, holy cow. If you are cutting, order Hummus/Pita, add steamed broccoli, add chicken breast, add hot sauce. Trust me, you will love it. The Rock has a eating competition now too. You actualyl cook the steak when you want to, like on a 450deg. rock that comes to your table. Get that and some fries, or that Surf n Turf style, etc. They always have a steak special on their Portorhouse steak that week tioo and slammin.
6)Thurmans, yep, burgers to die for, anything you acn think of, and legit $$. PROBLEM, seating is limited, you WILL wait 30mins-3hrs.
7)Planks, more pizza and burgers than anything, it has a HUGE patio room that is heated with tons of TVs for relaxing. Pizza is good, 1/2lb burgers are slamming. More limited menu but what they do, they do great.
8)Mongolian BBQ(this should have been further up) you know the drill, we always go there.
9)Bostons Pizza(also should have been further up), decent food, good pizzas, but basically thats it, close.
10)Some steakhouse next to Bostons, it's actually a Bison place, like think West style, huge steaks, and just MEAT, pricey more for the atmosphere than anything, but food is good.
11)Chipotle, right around the corder but only open for Lunch
12)If you are heading down to Ohio Deli, it is SOUTH on High St. about 5 miles, you will also find ANYTHING you want there. Ponderosa, Taco Bell, White Castle(don't judge you know you want some), McDs, Kroger, Aldi, etc.
13)Ohio Deli, if you want me to do the Dagwood again I will, but this will bet he 4th or 5th time, and it isn't as much fun anymore. I did it once riding my crotch rocket from work, I regretted that right away when I got into riding position. However the Tshirts are cheap, and the pictures get replaced often because a lot of people do it. Hwoever after MvF they did change it up a little and it's bigger now. Only done it twice since that show because I hate cold cuts and hate mayo, but I will definitely do it in an Animal Shirt with Beanie on if you'd like.

That is close to everything that would pertain to the group.

There is a few places that are open a little later than some down on Gay and Spring sts. I don't go to them, but whatever, they would work if its like 1-2 am and you don't want White Castle, but that just makes me sad for you.

If you have any other questions about food, shopping etc. let me know, any of us local's can help.

Also a little note, the CLOSEST LOWES is on South High St. PAST Ohio Deli, if you need stuff during the day, it's the easiest to get to also so might as well do all that.

I will be off Thursady, Friday, Saturday, Sunday, so would be more than happy to pass my cell out to you to meet or ask me ?s

cstmgp
01-13-13, 2:54 pm
Hands down, the best kept secret I've found in Columbus after living here for five years. Absolutely great home cooking, cheaper than I've found anywhere. It has changed hands a fewtimes iI guess, but each new owner stuck with what works and made very little changes.
The current owner is Greek, so there are some good gyros etc..., they have a 1lb Angus monster burger for $7 that rocks.
....but honestly, I rarely make it past the breakfast menu, and occasionally I order three!! Just an example: one of their normal size breakfasts is the "protein lovers" which consists of 3eggs, and two servings of breakfast meats , for $4.49!!! Yes $$4.49!
It has a nice 50's feel, but please don't tell them their menu prices are stuck in the 50's, it would ruin my Sunday mornings.

Head south on high st. About halfway between the expo and Ohio deli. Like 5 min south!!

Bruiser
01-13-13, 3:10 pm
http://www.foodspotting.com/places/2332-thurman-cafe-columbus/items/6817-thurmanator

deanna7272
01-13-13, 3:21 pm
http://www.foodspotting.com/places/2332-thurman-cafe-columbus/items/6817-thurmanator

They featured Thurman's on one of those food shows... Just like Madcat stated, you could be looking at up to a 3 hour wait that weekend...

conjugalburns
01-13-13, 4:15 pm

have always wanted to go here, I dont see why I haven't either seeing as how I live in ohio.

Chase "BIG COUNTRY" Browning
01-13-13, 5:00 pm

Antoine and I ate there last week. Food is legit.

01-13-13, 5:06 pm
1. Abuelo's
2. BD's
3. Cheesecake Factory

My munchies for the weekend.

Enforcer
01-13-13, 7:44 pm
Anyone recommend some good places to eat? Good dishes, prices, locations, etc? Let's start up a good list of restaurants fellas...

Idk the name of it, but I love that Mongolian style grill we hit up every year

01-13-13, 7:59 pm
Idk the name of it, but I love that Mongolian style grill we hit up every year

BDs Mongolian!

GUNS
01-14-13, 9:17 pm

The THURMANATOR
Bottom bun, mayo, lettuce, tomato, pickle, banana peppers, 12 ounce burger, bacon, cheddar, another
12 ounce burger, sautéed mushrooms & onions, ham, mozzarella & American cheese, top bun served
with fries 17.49

Followed by a trip to the cheescake factory!

Phil800101
01-15-13, 1:24 am
It's a chain, but if you don't have one around you I highly recommend hitting up Raising Cane's for some chicken fingers.

http://www.raisingcanes.com/

The closest one to the Expo center is on High Street right in the heart of the OSU campus.

Universal Rep
01-15-13, 9:34 am
The THURMANATOR
Bottom bun, mayo, lettuce, tomato, pickle, banana peppers, 12 ounce burger, bacon, cheddar, another
12 ounce burger, sautéed mushrooms & onions, ham, mozzarella & American cheese, top bun served
with fries 17.49

Followed by a trip to the cheescake factory!

Workin on that for a side trip...

Kowboy
01-15-13, 9:47 am
Guns if you come down Thursday or anyone really, that is probably the best night to hit Thurman's. I still think the Ohio Deli and the Dagwood is another great place if you are looking for food challenges. I live in town and can grab the wife's van and pick up people that aren't driving in.

GUNS
01-15-13, 9:57 am
Guns if you come down Thursday or anyone really, that is probably the best night to hit Thurman's. I still think the Ohio Deli and the Dagwood is another great place if you are looking for food challenges. I live in town and can grab the wife's van and pick up people that aren't driving in.

Ill have to see how the wifes and my schedule is. I just applied for a job and we'll see how that goes. Im gonna get hired and right away ask for time off, hahahahaa! Im trying to drive up Thursday, but its 12 hours. If I can talk the wife into it, Im gonna drive up Wed to my parents house in N Alabama for the nioht. Cuts 6 hours out! Then I can be up in Middletown by lunch or so. Thats where my both-in-law lives. I think we will be staying there. So 1 1/2 hour drive back and forth each day! Fun Fun! But we will catch some grub!

Kowboy
01-15-13, 10:11 am
Ill have to see how the wifes and my schedule is. I just applied for a job and we'll see how that goes. Im gonna get hired and right away ask for time off, hahahahaa! Im trying to drive up Thursday, but its 12 hours. If I can talk the wife into it, Im gonna drive up Wed to my parents house in N Alabama for the nioht. Cuts 6 hours out! Then I can be up in Middletown by lunch or so. Thats where my both-in-law lives. I think we will be staying there. So 1 1/2 hour drive back and forth each day! Fun Fun! But we will catch some grub!

And if it gets to late and neither of you want to make the drive back I have plenty of room. You could probably cuddle up w/ Shukin.

GUNS
01-15-13, 10:22 am
And if it gets to late and neither of you want to make the drive back I have plenty of room. You could probably cuddle up w/ Shukin.

Win and WIN!

deanna7272
01-15-13, 10:24 am
You could probably cuddle up w/ Shukin.

Bwahahahahaaaaa...

Madcat
01-15-13, 11:33 am
Hands down, the best kept secret I've found in Columbus after living here for five years. Absolutely great home cooking, cheaper than I've found anywhere. It has changed hands a fewtimes iI guess, but each new owner stuck with what works and made very little changes.
The current owner is Greek, so there are some good gyros etc..., they have a 1lb Angus monster burger for $7 that rocks.
....but honestly, I rarely make it past the breakfast menu, and occasionally I order three!! Just an example: one of their normal size breakfasts is the "protein lovers" which consists of 3eggs, and two servings of breakfast meats , for $4.49!!! Yes $$4.49!
It has a nice 50's feel, but please don't tell them their menu prices are stuck in the 50's, it would ruin my Sunday mornings.

Head south on high st. About halfway between the expo and Ohio deli. Like 5 min south!!

Ive alwayas wondered about this place. wasn't sure if it was safe or not, due to the area, but will hit that up. Wife and I love a diner by church on Sunday's in Lancaster but this sounds like a solid palce for SAturdays. Our gym is about 5 mins over in Obetz from there, so quick drive. Plus we love greek so it's a win even if Breakfast doesnt sound good.

Kowboy
01-15-13, 11:59 am

I have pics on facebook of me beating this bad boy.

cstmgp
01-15-13, 8:55 pm
Ive alwayas wondered about this place. wasn't sure if it was safe or not, due to the area, but will hit that up. Wife and I love a diner by church on Sunday's in Lancaster but this sounds like a solid palce for SAturdays. Our gym is about 5 mins over in Obetz from there, so quick drive. Plus we love greek so it's a win even if Breakfast doesnt sound good.

Solid choice, and you can always compromise and get the Greek omelette!!

BTW, you guys working out at the newer obetz rec? I hit it a few times when it was new.

BamBam
01-17-13, 10:46 am

I will take your challenge... name your terms...

Kowboy
01-17-13, 11:03 am
I can send ya pics of the Thurmanator, it is no where near as bad as the dagwood. The fries from the dagwood make it hard. But I am totally down for trying the Thurmanator again after my contest.

BamBam
01-17-13, 11:12 am
I can send ya pics of the Thurmanator, it is no where near as bad as the dagwood. The fries from the dagwood make it hard. But I am totally down for trying the Thurmanator again after my contest.

When it comes to big weights and big food Im your man...

Nix and I are known to down at least 4 "bowls" at BD's each year... this year will be no different.

BB-

twoheadedboy
01-17-13, 6:45 pm
I'd rather hit up Brazillian than BD's...BD's is good, but it's not even the best Mongolian chain - that's Hu Hot.

Phil800101
01-17-13, 9:34 pm
I'd rather hit up Brazillian than BD's...BD's is good, but it's not even the best Mongolian chain - that's Hu Hot.

Blasphemy! You can't mess with tradition...harumph, harumph, harumph.

deanna7272
01-17-13, 9:59 pm
Blasphemy! You can't mess with tradition...harumph, harumph, harumph.

Gotta get our free birthday meal!!!

Razor
01-17-13, 10:00 pm
cant wait for those cookies....after the garbage burger of course.

Phil800101
01-17-13, 10:11 pm
Gotta get our free birthday meal!!!

They wanted me to show ID last year...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ytCEuuW2_A

deanna7272
01-17-13, 10:26 pm
They wanted me to show ID last year...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ytCEuuW2_A

No kidding... I used mine with no ID... They may just be onto us...lol

BamBam
01-18-13, 9:24 am
Open invite....

Thursday- BD's or Max and Erma's
Friday- BD's or Max and Erma's
Saturday- ABC grubfest

Always love getting to lift and then eat with my family so its no different when I'm in C-Bus..

Nix.... the gaunlet has been thrown... down!

Nix0r
01-18-13, 9:45 am
Open invite....

Thursday- BD's or Max and Erma's
Friday- BD's or Max and Erma's
Saturday- ABC grubfest

Always love getting to lift and then eat with my family so its no different when I'm in C-Bus..

Nix.... the gaunlet has been thrown... down!

Damn homie. Well, I know one night I plan on throwing down some extra cash on this place with smoothballer and company:

Kowboy
01-18-13, 9:55 am
Damn homie. Well, I know one night I plan on throwing down some extra cash on this place with smoothballer and company:

I hate at one of those in San Antonio and also Colorado. Amazing food! I plan on joining you guys, just not of that fancy shit under the table....

If anyone wants to hit Thurmans I say we go Thursday afternoon/evening.

C.Coronato
01-21-13, 9:53 am
Any ideas for some catering spots? PM me with info.

Kowboy
01-21-13, 10:05 am

What kind of food? Also, if you need me to go to one and get information etc or even sample it let me know. I train downtown so I am always there.

smoothballer
01-21-13, 12:58 pm

I am invited to said catered event?

freighttraindane
01-21-13, 1:37 pm

i'm guessing this is probably for the National ABC but i could be wrong

smoothballer
01-21-13, 1:53 pm

Duh, I should have figured that one out

I have been a big fan of the place they have used the last couple years

C.Coronato
01-21-13, 1:56 pm
What kind of food? Also, if you need me to go to one and get information etc or even sample it let me know. I train downtown so I am always there.

Something clean, bodybuilder friendly. We have done the BBQ for a few years, just looking for options.

Of course bro!

You are correct haha!

Duh, I should have figured that one out

I have been a big fan of the place they have used the last couple years

haha yea. Just looking to see what else there is.

deanna7272
01-21-13, 3:02 pm
Didn't I hear that Hollie Mangold worked for that catering company?? An Olympic Weightlifter and our ABC... Hmmm sounds perrrrfect...lol ...

Phil800101
01-21-13, 3:47 pm
Didn't I hear that Hollie Mangold worked for that catering company?? An Olympic Weightlifter and our ABC... Hmmm sounds perrrrfect...lol ...

I do believe that she does, or at least did, yes.

Man, that place is amazing...oh, those greens...