PDA

View Full Version : Why do you come back?

P Diesel
10-22-12, 10:43 am
What is it about The Cage or ANIMAL as a brand that makes you come back? Ive seen numerous people say it will be their 2nd, 3rd, 6th!! year coming back to The Cage. Others saying the only reason they make the trip across the country each year is for this event because The Cage will be in full effect.

What is the best part? meeting the athletes? the gear? the events and exhibitions? the ABC?

How are we different? from other companies, venues, exhibitions?

What does The Cage mean to you? Is it just a good time or it is somethin' more?

Why do you come back each year? and why will you continue to?

Please share ur thoughts.

P

Universal Rep
10-22-12, 10:47 am
What is it about The Cage or ANIMAL as a brand that makes you come back? Ive seen numerous people say it will be their 2nd, 3rd, 6th!! year coming back to The Cage. Others saying the only reason they make the trip across the country each year is for this event because The Cage will be in full effect.

What is the best part? meeting the athletes? the gear? the events and exhibitions? the ABC?

P

Great question, PD... I think most will say "brotherhood"... That sense of belongin to sumthin small and intimate, yet bigger than themselves...

Kowboy
10-22-12, 11:02 am
Great question, PD... I think most will say "brotherhood"... That sense of belongin to sumthin small and intimate, yet bigger than themselves...

That sums it up pretty well for me.

P Diesel
10-22-12, 11:05 am

short and succinct, extremely well put

P

Firefist
10-22-12, 11:10 am
For me and a lot of others, its one of the only chances in the year to see some of family that runs far and wide. Sometimes, its hard to even make local sessions, cause life happens all the time.... but we can all meet at the national abc/cage and carry on like we never missed a beat. The gear is cool, the lifting exhibitions and seminars are even more toast, but seeing everyone takes the cake for me.

Mr. Dead
10-22-12, 11:25 am
Since I'm a prime example of one who keeps coming back... I'd say it's one of the few places where I can honestly say I "belong"...

P Diesel
10-22-12, 11:39 am
Since I'm a prime example of one who keeps coming back... I'd say it's one of the few places where I can honestly say I "belong"...

shit, Dead thats prolific. there are many ways of belonging, in which way do u feel u belong when in The Cage?

P

Tbrat
10-22-12, 11:46 am
The thing that makes me want to go to the CAGE so bad is the fact that all the sponsored athletes seem to just be regular guys that are grateful of where they are and are down to earth. Using Evan as an example, how many IFBB pros can you send a message to and end up engaged in a back and forth conversation for a couple days with the end result being some great advice... for free. The brotherhood statement by UP sums it up perfectly... I feel like I could approach any of you and not feel like I'm wasting your time being "just another fan"

Mr. Dead
10-22-12, 11:49 am
shit, Dead thats prolific. there are many ways of belonging, in which way do u feel u belong when in The Cage?

P

Part of it, is what U Rep said... The sense of brotherhood and family... Part of it, is what Planet Fitness continuously claims to be, but isn't... It's truly a non-judgement zone... There's nobody there that feels they're "too good" to talk to certain people, from the Pros all the way down to the average Joe, everyone "belongs"...

C.Coronato
10-22-12, 3:38 pm
Its like a family reunion. Seeing everyone that has been simply a name on a screen for a year. Looking forward to that late night ABC as always with some post BBQ!

naturalguy
10-22-12, 3:47 pm
Its like a family reunion.

This ^^^^^. It's great to catch up with everyone in person, we talk online all year but to hang face to face, there is nothing like it.

Razor
10-22-12, 5:17 pm
This ^^^^^. It's great to catch up with everyone in person, we talk online all year but to hang face to face, there is nothing like it.

This for sure. I also personally look at it as another chance we get to extend the family so to speak. Reach out to those that don't know much about us or don't know enough about our products. Every year as our car gets closer the question in my head is usually "Why Animal? Why Universal?". Pondering that question usually gets me in the right frame of mind to attack the expo and sort of prepare myself for dishing out the reasons why. Year after year the question gets easier and easier to answer. Easier to prove why.

MAB
10-22-12, 7:10 pm
This for sure. I also personally look at it as another chance we get to extend the family so to speak. Reach out to those that don't know much about us or don't know enough about our products. Every year as our car gets closer the question in my head is usually "Why Animal? Why Universal?". Pondering that question usually gets me in the right frame of mind to attack the expo and sort of prepare myself for dishing out the reasons why. Year after year the question gets easier and easier to answer. Easier to prove why.

Actually Razor, talk about welcoming new people makes me happy. I’ve been to the Arnold twice and both times stopped by and watched the happenings in the Animal Cage. Besides booths selling clothes, supplements, etc… it’s really the ONLY thing inside the Expo to see… I think it’s too bad you guys can’t double the size of the cage so there’s more to see and more viewing room around the perimeter. The energy from last year’s Pros vs. Bros is the reason I started reading posts on this site and eventually became a member. So I’ll be brand new :)

The energy inside and surrounding the Cage is always palpable and infectious. You Animals get people pumped up and excited. Not only that, but you push the bar higher and in turn inspire your fans to push themselves harder and set goals beyond what they originally thought possible. On top of being inspiring you all are also down to earth, friendly, and open. There are many athletes who are only out for themselves and that leaves a bad taste in the mouths of aspiring athletes and fans.

I also think the Cage appeals to people who aren’t altogether familiar with Animal bc visually it’s raw, there’s no frill or flashing lights. It’s the Animals INSIDE the cage that draw people in, much like being in awe of the strength of a big cat in a zoo. I think that’s what the Animal brand is all about. Appealing to the animal inside everyone, that darkness inside that fuels you, makes you push yourself to the breaking point and sprint head on into insanity.

P Diesel
10-22-12, 8:24 pm
The energy inside and surrounding the Cage is always palpable and infectious.

exactly, as much as it is that for u and the countless others that gather to The Cage and cling to the fencing to catch a glimpse of what madness ensues, it is the same for us. we feed off your emotion. we live what we preach. i can write about it all day BUT as u see we can show u better then we can tell ya. thank u for the feedback brotha

P

GUNS
10-22-12, 9:02 pm
Its like a family reunion. Seeing everyone that has been simply a name on a screen for a year. Looking forward to that late night ABC as always with some post BBQ!

I have not been to the Cage for work reasons, but have hit a few ABC's and training with some of the guys on here. I said this to Appalonian when I met him! I feel like we already know eachother so well, so it is like a reunion, not a meeting! Same with all the others, just great to get together with family and do what we all love!

HardCore
10-22-12, 9:23 pm

P

I am coming for the Brotherhood and to meet the athletes! First timer here!

deanna7272
10-22-12, 11:34 pm
I'm an old timer there... And a girl.... So that makes me special, just remember that... (lol)

Actually, back in the day all I knew about Animal was that it was a company that sponsored a dear friend of mine (House) and that it was known to have more of an "underground" atmosphere. My first year at the expo, I lurked around, completely overwhelmed with the crowd and the electricity it generated! In December of 2007, I joined the Forvm and I went to my first ABC in Cbus in January 2008 meeting Vinny there, and I was intrigued from that point on. I had made plans to attend the Cage/Expo in 2008, being invited by Vin to sit IN the Cage blew my mind. I thought "me, in there?? really???" Well, long story short, I stayed all weekend and haven't left since...Lol. The athletes/members have become my family, they were there for me through all my preps, ups and downs, when my Momma passed, and in a sense protecting me from harm and I will forever be indebted to them.

Each year, I have watched it grow and expand beyond belief. We always wonder "how can it get any better than this?" And somehow, it does!! I was blown away by being the first woman to be chosen to intern and lend a hand to help those that have helped me through so much. And to my surprise, I was (along with 2 of my brothers) recognized last year for efforts supporting and promoting the ABC's. Believe me, IF I could do MORE to show my appreciation and loyalty to the name, I would.

It is definitely a family reunion, but once we get there and the first hellos are said, it is like we never skipped a beat. Our weekend seems to fly by with the hectic nature of the beast, yet we make memories that last forever. We leave energized in our training, ready to take the bulls by the horns!!

With all that being said... It's the family, acceptance, wealth of knowledge, brotherhood, appreciation the company has for us and our loyalty, strength in friendships forged, bonds built and memories made. The Cage will always bring a smile to my face, a skipped beat in my heart, and a fire lit under my bottom to strive to be the best me I can be.

P Diesel
10-23-12, 11:08 am
I'm an old timer there... And a girl.... So that makes me special, just remember that... (lol)

Actually, back in the day all I knew about Animal was that it was a company that sponsored a dear friend of mine (House) and that it was known to have more of an "underground" atmosphere. My first year at the expo, I lurked around, completely overwhelmed with the crowd and the electricity it generated!.

and now look at ya right in the mix, like home!! wouldnt b the same withouth ya.

oh and PS fellas, if ur changin behind the curtain in the athlete area keep and eye out for the ladies sneakin peeks :)

P

jhenry
10-24-12, 10:13 pm
I went for the first time last year. I had never heard of the cage until 2 months prior to deciding to go. Ive always felt like i had a connection with animal, its more than just a company, the sayings, articles, the journey, they just really hit home with alot of areas in my life. if it wasnt for the cage I wouldnt even think about coming out to the expo. Driving 12 plus hrs for some free samples, or to meet potentially meet some pros who could give a sh*$ less about you and most likely arent even happy to be there themselves. The cage was what drew me in, i got to meet some awesome people i always wanted to like Frank McGrath, and met alot of others who i can now follow and learn things from like P diesel, higa, sam byrd, josh landry and lots of others. Everyone respects each other too, theirs no egos or attitudes everyones a human just like you, one funny thing i remember was Higa walking out of the cage and looks at me and says, "dude theres so many people and I gotta take a shit I dont think im gonna make it."haha anyways I dont think ive seen another company that just keeps giving as much as animal does, from the ABC's, to free swag out the ass, it just keeps coming and i hope to be a part of it more. Even right now im planning to make it out again for the cage, yea its going to break my pocket again driving out there,taking the weekend off from work buying a ticket, getting a room for the weekend, but i feel like if i dont go again im missing out on something great.

deanna7272
10-25-12, 12:18 am
and now look at ya right in the mix, like home!! wouldnt b the same withouth ya.

oh and PS fellas, if ur changin behind the curtain in the athlete area keep and eye out for the ladies sneakin peeks :)

P

Geeeeeezzzz...
Easy there, big fella....he he he
((Ya see what I did there? I got your back ;) ... ))

P Diesel
10-25-12, 10:26 am
Geeeeeezzzz...
Easy there, big fella....he he he
((Ya see what I did there? I got your back ;) ... ))

:) i know u do

P

Universal Rep
10-25-12, 10:35 am
I went for the first time last year. I had never heard of the cage until 2 months prior to deciding to go. Ive always felt like i had a connection with animal, its more than just a company, the sayings, articles, the journey, they just really hit home with alot of areas in my life. if it wasnt for the cage I wouldnt even think about coming out to the expo. Driving 12 plus hrs for some free samples, or to meet potentially meet some pros who could give a sh*$ less about you and most likely arent even happy to be there themselves. The cage was what drew me in, i got to meet some awesome people i always wanted to like Frank McGrath, and met alot of others who i can now follow and learn things from like P diesel, higa, sam byrd, josh landry and lots of others. Everyone respects each other too, theirs no egos or attitudes everyones a human just like you, one funny thing i remember was Higa walking out of the cage and looks at me and says, "dude theres so many people and I gotta take a shit I dont think im gonna make it."haha anyways I dont think ive seen another company that just keeps giving as much as animal does, from the ABC's, to free swag out the ass, it just keeps coming and i hope to be a part of it more. Even right now im planning to make it out again for the cage, yea its going to break my pocket again driving out there,taking the weekend off from work buying a ticket, getting a room for the weekend, but i feel like if i dont go again im missing out on something great.

Very well said brotha... Look, ya drive 12 hours and pay to get into the expo and ur def comin away with more than just "some free samples". You can fill up a bag or two to ur hearts content haha. Yup, ya can pay $20 bucks after waitin in line for an hour for an athlete's autograph... But after that, what are ya left with? After all the crap ya dump in the expo bathrooms or ur own trash, what do ya remember? Will you ever forget ur first Cage experience? Walk into the Cage and its not about the swag... Mebbe that's the icin. The cake? The cake is wut ur talkin about here.

Enforcer
10-25-12, 10:59 am
I come back bc this company is far beyond any other in the relationships it has with its fans. Animal bends over backwards every year to out due the year prior. I guarantee that at no other booth do you get the sens that you are welcomed, no matter who you are, at the Cage

shortstack
10-25-12, 11:53 am
I always enjoy the entire Journey of ariving at the CLassic. I've been going for the past 5-6 years and I always drive. 10 straight hours from Iowa to Columbus and twice I've made it with my Wife and Daughter. For me it's like a pilgrimage to a place where you're going to see some crazy lifts to motivate when you get back home. You'll get to talk to the upper level of competators and see what it really takes to pack on size, lift more weight, or work one on one with these guys.

It's inspiring to show up and have fellow forum members waiting to welcome you back. They want to catch up, see how the family is, make sure that you know when everyone is eating and meeting up at Metro. Last year Juggs told me he's been watching my training and I'm doing good, even though he rarely posts directly in my page. It's nice to know that with this company, you're not just a post on the forum and people are there keeping an eye on what you do.

It's basically another event like Christmas or Thanksgiving for me but it goes a lot smoother. haha

I will most likely not be making the trip with a new baby on the way but I'll be checking out the webcam and following along. I'll miss meeting up with everyone but I'll be back again.

P Diesel
10-26-12, 11:24 am
It's basically another event like Christmas or Thanksgiving for me but it goes a lot smoother. haha

I will most likely not be making the trip with a new baby on the way but I'll be checking out the webcam and following along. I'll miss meeting up with everyone but I'll be back again.

good sentiments brotha, congrats on the addition to the family. The Cage is not going anywhere, will b there for years to come.

P

D-NUTZ
10-26-12, 7:27 pm

This.

And I love shooting the shit with some of the athletes I look up to.

P Diesel
10-26-12, 9:03 pm
This.

awesome

P

dannynb
11-15-12, 10:53 pm

[QUOTE=P Diesel;1266746]What is the best part? meeting the athletes? the gear? the events and exhibitions? the ABC?

How are we different? from other companies, venues, exhibitions?The Cage is an event all in itself. You could present it anywhere, any day of the week and a crowd would form and shit would happen. Other companies have booths, and samples...Animal puts on a fucking SHOW!!!

What does The Cage mean to you? Is it just a good time or it is somethin' more?The Cage is a family reunion, a place where us freaks can feel at home among others just like ourselves.

Why do you come back each year? and why will you continue to? Because I love all my Animal family and it's actually one of the high lights of my year. Get to see friends, relax, lift and get away from the real world for a few days.

P

Universal Rep
12-18-12, 9:54 am
This.

Heres wut I think is really, really cool about the CAGE. For many, meetin the guys who inspire them is incredibly awesome for sure. But more important, I think, is how thats done... You arent looking "up" to the athletes in the same way as in other booths. In other booths, the athletes are elevated up on pedestals, as if on thrones. Or, they are kept at a distance behind a table. But in the CAGE, the athletes are there, sharing the same space as you, fightin the same crowds, etc. They may sit on a bench with you and just shoot the shit. Do they have more experience, more knowledge? Absolutely. Have they achieved a greater physique or accomplishment? Absolutely. But they are like you and me... Solid men, first and foremost and solid members of this community. Thats the difference, I think...

P Diesel
12-18-12, 11:28 am
Do they have more experience, more knowledge? Absolutely. Have they achieved a greater physique or accomplishment? Absolutely. But they are like you and me... Solid men, first and foremost and solid members of this community

i like that, well put

P

Mr. Dead
12-18-12, 11:51 am
Heres wut I think is really, really cool about the CAGE. For many, meetin the guys who inspire them is incredibly awesome for sure. But more important, I think, is how thats done... You arent looking "up" to the athletes in the same way as in other booths. In other booths, the athletes are elevated up on pedestals, as if on thrones. Or, they are kept at a distance behind a table. But in the CAGE, the athletes are there, sharing the same space as you, fightin the same crowds, etc. They may sit on a bench with you and just shoot the shit. Do they have more experience, more knowledge? Absolutely. Have they achieved a greater physique or accomplishment? Absolutely. But they are like you and me... Solid men, first and foremost and solid members of this community. Thats the difference, I think...

Truth...

GUNS
12-18-12, 7:32 pm
Alot of people put athletes up on a pedestal, not me! My kids and my wife, mom and dad belong there for me! I dont care if your Mr. Olympia, to me your just another lifter that shares the same passion as I do! I feel if I wanted to go that direction when I was a kid, I would have succeeded just fine! I have never looked up to anyone and was in awe! I feel everyone brings something into this, so why meet someone and act all weird, why put them on that pedestal? I think that is why I love this community, and I have not been to a cage! Ive traveled up to meet BigAl, and P, Shukin, Davek, G, Vinny, Josh H, and a few more, and these are my brothers! I hope to get in there and have a reunion with some of my Animal brothers, and meet new ones as well! We are all in this as a family, face to face, side by side, and back to back!

deanna7272
12-18-12, 8:54 pm
I feel the same Guns... I don't get star struck... I get a little giggly (normal nervous reaction) but I REALLY have an issue if I get lumped into the group called "fans"... I don't consider myself a "fan" of anyone, really... I appreciate what they do, I appreciate their genuineness toward me as a person, but when they think they are above me or others, I duck out.

I will support those that I care about and those that I want to see succeed, but as far as pedestals, I have learned that it is TOO easy for them to fall off. They have "fans" lining up around the corner, they are a dime a dozen, but in my eyes, genuine personality and full support is worth more than a dime...lol.

Another reason I love this place... We HAVE genuine guys that haven't lost their humbleness and still appreciate where they come from....

GUNS
12-18-12, 9:13 pm
Thanks D, I didnt know if that would have been taken in the right context! But your spot on my thoughts! The guys I met while up in Delaware were simply my brothers, no one treated me like they were better, and for me really never meeting any of them, they treated me like family. Espescially Al and Shukin, and I have created a great bond with P Diesel! We see things the same!

deanna7272
12-18-12, 9:44 pm
Thanks D, I didnt know if that would have been taken in the right context! But your spot on my thoughts! The guys I met while up in Delaware were simply my brothers, no one treated me like they were better, and for me really never meeting any of them, they treated me like family. Espescially Al and Shukin, and I have created a great bond with P Diesel! We see things the same!

Nope, I got ya... I feel the same...

I do have to say, I did get nervous as hell meeting Dorian Yates at the Expo in 2007.. I had been out of the loop since the early 90's and he was "the man" at the time...lol. But other than THAT, I don't get star struck..lol

P Diesel
12-18-12, 9:50 pm

and that is what is all about for me, i spoke w GUNS for years, fianlyl meeting him recently face to face. we are of the same maker. a mutual respect for sure and my brother.

I feel the same Guns... I don't get star struck... I get a little giggly (normal nervous reaction) but I REALLY have an issue if I get lumped into the group called "fans"... I don't consider myself a "fan" of anyone, really... I appreciate what they do, I appreciate their genuineness toward me as a person, but when they think they are above me or others, I duck out.

I will support those that I care about and those that I want to see succeed, but as far as pedestals, I have learned that it is TOO easy for them to fall off. They have "fans" lining up around the corner, they are a dime a dozen, but in my eyes, genuine personality and full support is worth more than a dime...lol.

Another reason I love this place... We HAVE genuine guys that haven't lost their humbleness and still appreciate where they come from....

D,

u and i had this convo when u were in PA. i dnt like the word fan. we are all just ppl. sum of us just strive and dedicate ourselves to attain more then a normal existance.

P

deanna7272
12-18-12, 9:54 pm
D,

u and i had this convo when u were in PA. i dnt like the word fan. we are all just ppl. sum of us just strive and dedicate ourselves to attain more then a normal existance.

P

Yep... Like I said, "fans" are dime a dozen, I'm one in a million... BWAHAHAHAHAAA.... Just kiddin...

ghost
12-18-12, 10:28 pm
I come back bc you guys are family to me, and the cage is my Xmas

BamBam
01-07-13, 1:55 pm
I come back because thats my one true family reunion every year... that says enough in itself...