PDA

View Full Version : How often do you nail your core/abs?

braves561
10-22-12, 2:58 pm
I normally hit mine directly 2-3 or more times a week. I figure that is enough with it being used with pull ups, squats, sldl, etc. then I do cable crunches, hanging leg raises, reverse crunches, planks, side planks, sit ups, cable woodchops, and side twists sporatically throughout the week. What do you guys do for your core?

KettleBellFreak
10-22-12, 4:48 pm
I normally hit mine directly 2-3 or more times a week. I figure that is enough with it being used with pull ups, squats, sldl, etc. then I do cable crunches, hanging leg raises, reverse crunches, planks, side planks, sit ups, cable woodchops, and side twists sporatically throughout the week. What do you guys do for your core?

From bridge push up position:
4x25 in out
4x25 knee 2 elbow
5x10 knee 2 elbow push ups

3x20 cable crunch
one minute of pull up bicycle
3x20 both leg elevated russ twist with a 50 lb dumbbell
3x20 pull up leg raises
3x20 hip up

ajoaks
10-22-12, 10:11 pm
I actually do core workouts about 4+ times a week. What I do though is one day of light abs, meaning just a couple of exercises, still work hard on it. then I have another day that I dedicate to abs and core and do about 6-8 exercises. The other two days I hit lower back because I count that as core as well, same way as abs, one lighter day, then another day with about 4-6 exercises for it. Got to have a strong core for a lot of life activities.

Pizzalamp
10-23-12, 7:06 am
Shirley Sahrmann in her book Diagnosis and Treatment of Movement Impairment Syndromes, states “during most daily activities, the primary role of the abdominal muscles is to provide isometric support and limit the degree of rotation of the trunk…A large percentage of low back problems occur because the abdominal muscles are not maintaining tight control over the rotation between the pelvis and the spine at the L5- S1 level. “

The ability to resist or to prevent rotation may in fact be more important than the ability to create it.

Sahrmann goes on to note a key fact “The overall range of lumbar rotation is ...approx 13 degrees. The rotation between each segment from T10 to L5 is 2 degrees. The greatest rotational range is between L5 and S1, which is 5 degrees…The thoracic spine, not the lumbar spine should be the site of greatest amount of rotation of the trunk… when an individual practices rotational exercises, he or she should be instructed to “think about the motion occurring in the area of the chest” “

Sahrmann places the final icing on the cake with these statements; “Rotation of the lumbar spine is more dangerous than beneficial and rotation of the pelvis and lower extremities to one side while the trunk remains stable or is rotated to the other side is particularly dangerous.”

C.Coronato
10-23-12, 10:06 am
Shirley Sahrmann in her book Diagnosis and Treatment of Movement Impairment Syndromes, states “during most daily activities, the primary role of the abdominal muscles is to provide isometric support and limit the degree of rotation of the trunk…A large percentage of low back problems occur because the abdominal muscles are not maintaining tight control over the rotation between the pelvis and the spine at the L5- S1 level. “

The ability to resist or to prevent rotation may in fact be more important than the ability to create it.

Sahrmann goes on to note a key fact “The overall range of lumbar rotation is ...approx 13 degrees. The rotation between each segment from T10 to L5 is 2 degrees. The greatest rotational range is between L5 and S1, which is 5 degrees…The thoracic spine, not the lumbar spine should be the site of greatest amount of rotation of the trunk… when an individual practices rotational exercises, he or she should be instructed to “think about the motion occurring in the area of the chest” “

Sahrmann places the final icing on the cake with these statements; “Rotation of the lumbar spine is more dangerous than beneficial and rotation of the pelvis and lower extremities to one side while the trunk remains stable or is rotated to the other side is particularly dangerous.”

This has absolutely nothing to do with the question. Stick to the topic Pizzalamp.

P Diesel
10-23-12, 11:14 am
i train core every day, 7 days a week

P

Big Wides
10-23-12, 12:52 pm
you should be training them everyday and train them with weights. you are not going to move any type of weight without strong abs, i try to get in at least 3 days of training abs with weight, 3 days without weight, and one hybrid day.

KettleBellFreak
10-24-12, 7:52 am
you should be training them everyday and train them with weights. you are not going to move any type of weight without strong abs, i try to get in at least 3 days of training abs with weight, 3 days without weight, and one hybrid day.

Hows that working? the 3/3/split for abs? That sounds like some sweet results

Big Wides
10-24-12, 9:12 am
Hows that working? the 3/3/split for abs? That sounds like some sweet results

it's working out very well, I'm back to squatting/deadlifting heavy without a belt. I'm not going for "looks" when it comes to abs but more with functionality that will get the weight moving.

P Diesel
10-24-12, 10:32 am
it's working out very well, I'm back to squatting/deadlifting heavy without a belt. I'm not going for "looks" when it comes to abs but more with functionality that will get the weight moving.

exactly my sentiment. i am also back to squatting and deads without a belt. core is to be functional and strong. if ur concerned with seein them thangs, diet.

i am concerned with the overall strength as well like wides

P

rainman
10-24-12, 2:30 pm
I do abs on both chest and arms days, plus obliques on legs day. For abs I usually do a 'upper' and 'lower' concentrating exercise, (rope crunches/ chins with legs outstretched for example).

For the guys squatting and deadlifting without a belt, I'm assuming you didn't go for PBs initially, so was wondering what percentage of weight you took off from your average rep range whilst your core got used to the extra stress? Cheers.

World Eater
10-24-12, 3:24 pm
I do some ab work on squat and dead days.

KettleBellFreak
10-24-12, 3:37 pm

Well I go for definition and muscle fullness, but what do you do for your abs on weight days?

rainman
10-24-12, 3:38 pm
Sorry, I meant in terms of weight volume with the compound lifts. For example, say you do 3x400lb deals with a belt. Would you drop, say, 20% off of the weight initially, so you hit 3x320lb? Or would you keep it as heavy as you are used to?