PDA

View Full Version : critique a change of routine

DEADn
10-26-12, 1:14 pm
I have been doing the 5/3/1 and it has been very successful for me. Blown away by how certain weights are becoming manageable for me. In the past 2 weeks I changed up 2 days of my routine and I noticed that one of those seems to have pushed my body to the edge and I wondered if the combination is just bad or it is my body sending me the 'I am trying to adjust to this mess' type thing.

I was doing benching with triceps on one day and deadlifts and biceps the next day. I switched the triceps and biceps. It is the bench and biceps day that is killing me.

Bench 5/3/1 method
incline bench 4 sets up to 10
dips 3 sets to failure. Put feet on a bench to push me forward otherwise my triceps com into play.
one arm preacher curls sets up to 8
wrist curls 3 sets up to 14

The next few days I feel it in my pecs, shoulders, biceps and triceps to the extent that even while asleep and I roll over I am groaning. Sometimes I feel as if I am deeply bruised on my shoulders yet it might be muscle growth. I don't feel this kind of pain when I do my deadlift and triceps day. Is it an adjustment thing in which my body is adjusting or is my scheme just not good?

Click my training link to see what I am doing.

Aggression
10-26-12, 1:19 pm
So it's only been two weeks? May just need an adjustment period.

But you're essentially adding in one more muscle group that your chest day. Where it was just chest/triceps, its now chest/triceps/biceps b/c your triceps indirectly get taxed from pressing as well as dips. So the overall volume may be a bit much until your body adjusts. See what happens next week and make a decision then.

DEADn
10-27-12, 6:22 pm
I will go another week with it and if it continues I may have to change it up or change it back to what I was doing.

DEADn
10-30-12, 10:02 pm
My 3rd week with this little change in routine and it looks as though my system needed to work through it. Although I was tired I am not feeling stiff or as sore as I was the past 2 weeks. I do wonder if dips should go on the triceps side of lifting or pecs side? I have been using a bench to keep myself at an angle to hit my pecs. Not easy to stay at an angle.