PDA

View Full Version : 1RM Squat, day before 1RM Deadlift?

7cjs
10-27-12, 10:31 pm
I'm going to attempt 1RM lifts in order to recalculate for 5/3/1.

I'm going to be squatting the day before I deadlift. Has anyone ever experienced anything similar? Does squatting a heavy load put too much stress on your lower back, and it hinders your deadlift following up the next day? Especially the leg drive, you sacrifice most of it for the squat and you're left with spaghetti legs for the deadlift. Personally, I've never had issues in regards to my lower back and squatting, but I know for sure I can't keep the best form when attempting my 1RM.

These lifts aren't going to be attempted raw, I'll be using a belt.

I'm doing them back to back because my body responds better when I train for 3-4 days straight, and have optimal rest for a few days straight to follow up.

BigChrisF
10-27-12, 11:14 pm
It will likely take away some from your deadlift, but it shouldn't be a problem. If you intend to use this sort of rotation in the long term, it makes sense to test how you are going to train. A lot of folks will train their deadlift after their squat simply with the idea that in competition they will always squat before they deadlift.

J Wong
10-28-12, 9:31 am
IThese lifts aren't going to be attempted raw, I'll be using a belt..

That's raw.

If you squat the day before your deadlift, expect your deadlift to feel shitty....there is no way I could pull to my potential the day after maxing out squats.

GUNZ
10-28-12, 10:11 am
I'm going to attempt 1RM lifts in order to recalculate for 5/3/1.

I'm going to be squatting the day before I deadlift. Has anyone ever experienced anything similar? Does squatting a heavy load put too much stress on your lower back, and it hinders your deadlift following up the next day? Especially the leg drive, you sacrifice most of it for the squat and you're left with spaghetti legs for the deadlift. Personally, I've never had issues in regards to my lower back and squatting, but I know for sure I can't keep the best form when attempting my 1RM.

These lifts aren't going to be attempted raw, I'll be using a belt.

I'm doing them back to back because my body responds better when I train for 3-4 days straight, and have optimal rest for a few days straight to follow up.

You have to do it meet day, but don't expect your dead to be on point if you worked up to 1PM day before on squats!! Bad idea IMO put some days between the 2 lifts.

7cjs
10-28-12, 10:45 am
That's raw.

If you squat the day before your deadlift, expect your deadlift to feel shitty....there is no way I could pull to my potential the day after maxing out squats.

Oh, I didn't know using as belt is considered as a raw lift. I thought raw meant no accessories other than your own body moving the weight. Excuse my ignorance.

7cjs
10-28-12, 10:47 am
You have to do it meet day, but don't expect your dead to be on point if you worked up to 1PM day before on squats!! Bad idea IMO put some days between the 2 lifts.

I'll probably put my bench day after my squat with a rest day to follow up. Then hit the big deadlift. I'll see how things work out, maybe my legs will only feel tender and not sore the next day. Who knows.

7cjs
10-28-12, 10:49 am
Wow, I'm a new member here and I didn't expect to receive such great opinions. Thanks for the opened ended responses! I thought I'd get negative and sarcastic responses.

GUNZ
10-28-12, 2:28 pm
Oh, I didn't know using as belt is considered as a raw lift. I thought raw meant no accessories other than your own body moving the weight. Excuse my ignorance.

Belt, wrist wraps, knee sleevs= all considered RAW in powerlifting, none of these add lbs to the lift mostly for protection. Now knee wraps are considered raw by some feds and people. So just do what you like and makes you happy man.

I'll probably put my bench day after my squat with a rest day to follow up. Then hit the big deadlift. I'll see how things work out, maybe my legs will only feel tender and not sore the next day. Who knows.

That would be better, when training you want to get the most out of your lifts. Thats why you spread out the power movements like (squat, bench, and dead). We are here to help and give you good advice.

P Diesel
10-31-12, 1:40 pm
i dead and squat on the same day often at times. 80% max x3 for both w no problem

P