PDA

View Full Version : Legumes: Are beans good for a bulking diet?

7cjs
10-31-12, 11:00 am
Most articles that I see with a top 10 bulking foods list all have the same thing in common. From chicken breasts to oats. Am I not seeing things clearly or is beans not a part of that list?

While at work (Bulk Barn) I was cleaning around the legumes section and decided to look at the nutritional profiles. Beans like lentils had 24g pro, 60g carbs, and 330 cals per 100g serving (almost 1/2 a cup). If you take 2 servings, it's a bit over double the nutrients (no fats cause it said 0g)

That 100g of lentils provides 27g of fiber. That's a lot for one serving. I eat fast, so it's of no issue to me. But there's other issues like cramping and excessive farting. Which, I don't really mind. But is there a limit as to how much fiber intake should be limited to? To a bodybuilder, not a diet consisting of general well being.

I've Google searched the pros/cons to adding beans to a bulking diet and had rarely any good answers show up. I wanted to replace most of my meals for beans to make my diet more simple. However with the concern of it containing a lot of fiber per serving, I only have it sitting in one meal for now. Is there anyway to consume more fiber without harming your body too much? What's your take on this? Anyone?

World Eater
10-31-12, 1:42 pm
I don't see why they wouldn't be good. Too much of something is rarely good so I'm not sure if eating them 6 times a day would be a good idea.

Solid Dreams
10-31-12, 2:04 pm
The thing is that fiber is something you cant digest, so it's really there to help make you feel full and keep your intestines running smoothly. Half the carbs you wont use, and it'll make you full before you finish eating. They're good for losing weight, I would say, because you just dont feel like eating after eating those damn things.

Firefist
10-31-12, 2:52 pm
Just throw in them beans along with whatever you already got down. Mix the beans with eggs and rice in a rice cooker, comes out all cooked in 10-15 minutes. Have some premade chicken and steak, and throw in some s/p, sirache or chalula, and you are golden.

Ox
11-01-12, 8:19 am
Like Solid said, all that fiber isn't exactly gonna leave you ready to eat again in a couple hours. That being said, I think 1/4 cup of lentils turns into quite a bit of food once cooked. Between the fiber content and the food volume, it may be tough to put down on a consistent basis and still have room for more!

Appollonian
11-01-12, 11:30 am
Solid advice all around, my word of caution is that you can take in too much fiber.

Most of us here probably eat more than 2000 calories, so having a bit more than the RDA of fiber is probably OK. However as a relative of mine discovered, taking in 3-4+ times that amount for a few weeks will cause issues such as blockage (all that fiber can turn into a concrete of sorts without adequate water) and blood coming from your intestines for various reasons. The side effects are less fun than they sound. My relative was told he had an emergency medical condition, but after they analyzed his diet he was OK in days.

7cjs
11-01-12, 11:22 pm
Solid advice all around, my word of caution is that you can take in too much fiber.

Most of us here probably eat more than 2000 calories, so having a bit more than the RDA of fiber is probably OK. However as a relative of mine discovered, taking in 3-4+ times that amount for a few weeks will cause issues such as blockage (all that fiber can turn into a concrete of sorts without adequate water) and blood coming from your intestines for various reasons. The side effects are less fun than they sound. My relative was told he had an emergency medical condition, but after they analyzed his diet he was OK in days.

Like Solid said, all that fiber isn't exactly gonna leave you ready to eat again in a couple hours. That being said, I think 1/4 cup of lentils turns into quite a bit of food once cooked. Between the fiber content and the food volume, it may be tough to put down on a consistent basis and still have room for more!

Just throw in them beans along with whatever you already got down. Mix the beans with eggs and rice in a rice cooker, comes out all cooked in 10-15 minutes. Have some premade chicken and steak, and throw in some s/p, sirache or chalula, and you are golden.

The thing is that fiber is something you cant digest, so it's really there to help make you feel full and keep your intestines running smoothly. Half the carbs you wont use, and it'll make you full before you finish eating. They're good for losing weight, I would say, because you just dont feel like eating after eating those damn things.

I don't see why they wouldn't be good. Too much of something is rarely good so I'm not sure if eating them 6 times a day would be a good idea.

Thanks for all the great advice everyone. I was very ignorant towards the topic. All y'all actually saved me from doing my body harm. I was about to hit the groceries this weekend and stack up on beans. Now I got to reconfigure my diet. I had 1/2 a cup serving for almost every meal after lunch. Well, I'm going to throw that away, that was a bad idea. It was a good idea, but I guess with carbs and protein that high, it had to have some sort of negative effect. I got to man up and consume more quantities of food.