PDA

View Full Version : A Diamond Gym story.

Erik
11-15-12, 12:02 pm
As I sit here, it's hard to believe that I have been involved in the Iron Game for twenty years. Within that time, I have been through loss, personal successes, failures and everything in between. I remember being inspired by all of the great lifters here in New Jersey but one instance sticks out in my mind above all else.

It was January of 1995 and I was 14 years old. World Gym of Bayonne was hosting a bodybuilding seminar with IFBB Pro Porter Cotrell, I was excited to go since I had never seen a pro bodybuilder up close before. When I got there, the gym was filled with bodybuilding fans from all walks of life but one group of lifters stood out above all else. There were about four or five of them, all Wearing Black jackets with the Diamond Gym logo. The Diamond Gym lifters all stood together, and they were by far the most intimidating group in the room.

I had never heard of Diamond Gym before, but I quickely realized that it must be one hardcore place since these guys looked bigger than Porter Cotrell! Each one of the Diamond Gym guys looked like they had the eye of the tiger and I couldn't help but notice how they all had huge traps bulging out of thier jackets. To be clear, these men were not built like the typical recreational bodybuilders of the time, they did not sport 28inch waists and what would be considered perfect perportions, but instead they each had a look of pure power and to me, that was far more impressive.

I later found out that the "Diamond Gym look" was due to the fact that Diamond Gym owner John Kemper was a big believer of the basic, compound lifts and most of the Diamond Gym guys followed his advice, which resulted in big, powerful lifters. I didn't make It to Diamond Gym until years later and within that time, I heard many stories of the brutally hardcore atmosphere of that infamous and legendary gym. to this day, I still consider Diamond Gym, along With Strong and Shapely, to be the epicenters of true new Jersey bodybuilding.

naturalguy
11-15-12, 12:03 pm
Great story!

Diamond Gym is a one of a kind place

Erik
11-15-12, 12:05 pm
It is. Very few people realize that a gym is not just a gym, each one has it's own atmosphere, character and history.

Universal Rep
11-15-12, 12:52 pm
It is. Very few people realize that a gym is not just a gym, each one has it's own atmosphere, character and history.

Well said... Sadly I think wut ur talkin about is slowing fading into memory.

kcburrows
11-15-12, 1:05 pm

it really is U-rep. Its all about money and profit now. I was in the works of trying to acquire my own gym called the guy to check it out all he kept talking about was the huge client base that will pay for the monthly lease payment blah blah blah. When i got there, the place looked like a child playground from the colors on the wall. with signs of no chalk posted around db's only up to 100's and cardio bunnies everywhere. i had to walk out knowing if i changed it into the type of gym i want i'd lose everybody and be stuck paying the lease myself. i want a place that has value way beyond a dollart sign. so sad not many places left like that

World Eater
11-15-12, 1:06 pm
That's why there's the ABC, to maintain it!

Universal Rep
11-15-12, 1:12 pm

Thats true... I think ur absolutely right. It wuz really about attitude, this spirit, this idea of a real brotherhood. BB meant sumthin so much more than just lifting...

it really is U-rep. Its all about money and profit now. I was in the works of trying to acquire my own gym called the guy to check it out all he kept talking about was the huge client base that will pay for the monthly lease payment blah blah blah. When i got there, the place looked like a child playground from the colors on the wall. with signs of no chalk posted around db's only up to 100's and cardio bunnies everywhere. i had to walk out knowing if i changed it into the type of gym i want i'd lose everybody and be stuck paying the lease myself. i want a place that has value way beyond a dollart sign. so sad not many places left like that

So true. It's not just how these gyms look... It's that vibe, that spirt Ima talkin about.

Kowboy
11-15-12, 1:24 pm

The ABC we had in Dayton at the Power Station the dude didn't even charge us. Said we could come out any time, such a great place and the Animal ABC lands me a PR every time I lift. The world is turning in to a bunch of whiny pussies but we handle our own here. Honestly that is why I like the attitude and the black and white. Simple, basic but we all know what we have to do. It doesn't matter if you squat 200lbs or 800lbs everyone here is great to talk to and no one puts up any barriers or any walls.

kcburrows
11-15-12, 1:38 pm
The ABC we had in Dayton at the Power Station the dude didn't even charge us. Said we could come out any time, such a great place and the Animal ABC lands me a PR every time I lift. The world is turning in to a bunch of whiny pussies but we handle our own here. Honestly that is why I like the attitude and the black and white. Simple, basic but we all know what we have to do. It doesn't matter if you squat 200lbs or 800lbs everyone here is great to talk to and no one puts up any barriers or any walls.

i'm with Trebin here, and have actually went a from times since that ABC back to that gym and the owner hasnt charged me once. it may sound extreme but its almost like a church where u just walk in and feel it. if you cant have an incredble lift in a place like that u dont need to be in a gym. guy 2 and 3 times my size working out, but also more than willing to help the new guy just coming up. its like U rep said its a brotherhood, that is bonded by iron.

Kowboy
11-15-12, 2:19 pm
i'm with Trebin here, and have actually went a from times since that ABC back to that gym and the owner hasnt charged me once. it may sound extreme but its almost like a church where u just walk in and feel it. if you cant have an incredble lift in a place like that u dont need to be in a gym. guy 2 and 3 times my size working out, but also more than willing to help the new guy just coming up. its like U rep said its a brotherhood, that is bonded by iron.

Such a cool place, i really want to go check it out again. Hopefully you guys can make it up to my other gym on Dec 9.

kcburrows
11-15-12, 3:20 pm
Such a cool place, i really want to go check it out again. Hopefully you guys can make it up to my other gym on Dec 9.

yea man just hit me up on fb with the details would love to!