PDA

View Full Version : Squat form Check

Tbrat
11-20-12, 5:05 pm
A clip my training partner took while squatting yesterday, looking for any critiques to my form.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebjeucjgSmQ&feature=youtu.be

Thanks.

Tbrat

Animal Rep
11-27-12, 12:27 pm
You need to go deeper.

Train Hard Eat Well.

freighttraindane
11-27-12, 1:21 pm
As the Animal said, form looks good, but definitely need to get deeper and really explode out of the hole.

Aggression
11-27-12, 1:23 pm
Sit back more, keep the chest up/out, and go deeper.

DieselpoweredBear
11-27-12, 2:21 pm
Guys,

My two cents:

1. Upper legs parallel to the floor
2. Do not extend entirely; keep tension on the upper legs.

Cheers,

DPB

Tbrat
11-27-12, 3:38 pm
Thanks everyone. Prior to making this video I had thought I was getting to just past 90 from my view in the mirror, but as soon as I saw this video I know I needed to start getting deeper. Just a comfort thing for me right now I guess. Would the fact that I'm not sitting back enough explain why my lower back gets pretty tight when i'm squatting sometimes?

BigChrisF
11-27-12, 4:20 pm
Your low back is getting tight, likely a result of glute/ham weakness. Your squat is way high. As you go deeper, you need to sit back into the squat. Right now as you begin to descend, you shift your weight from your heels to the balls of your feet. That will shift the weight away from your glute/ham area to your quads. When you shift forward as a result it puts a lot more pressure on your lower back to remain upright.

When you work on getting deeper with the lighter weights, lift up your big toes. When you pick your big toes up, it is difficult to maintain pressure on the balls of your feet and you will shift the weight back to your heels where it should be.

Tbrat
11-27-12, 7:00 pm
Your low back is getting tight, likely a result of glute/ham weakness. Your squat is way high. As you go deeper, you need to sit back into the squat. Right now as you begin to descend, you shift your weight from your heels to the balls of your feet. That will shift the weight away from your glute/ham area to your quads. When you shift forward as a result it puts a lot more pressure on your lower back to remain upright.

When you work on getting deeper with the lighter weights, lift up your big toes. When you pick your big toes up, it is difficult to maintain pressure on the balls of your feet and you will shift the weight back to your heels where it should be.

Thanks Chris, definitely something I've been working on, my reaction when I start to struggle with the weight is to let the weight go forward and get onto my balls. Been keeping the weight fairly light lately, nothing for reps under 8 really, so I will keep focusing on this. I know some guys have put 5lb plates under their toes to force themselves back, something I should try?

DieselpoweredBear
11-28-12, 4:29 am
Thanks Chris, definitely something I've been working on, my reaction when I start to struggle with the weight is to let the weight go forward and get onto my balls. Been keeping the weight fairly light lately, nothing for reps under 8 really, so I will keep focusing on this. I know some guys have put 5lb plates under their toes to force themselves back, something I should try?

Tbrat,

Sounds like a good idea, but couldn't this become difficult for maintaining balance? For instance: if i would try this (and i will) i'll probably will land flat on my back, so perhaps this could be practiced with a smith machine??

Cheers,

DPB

BigChrisF
11-28-12, 9:24 pm
You could try the 5 lbs plate idea, but I don't think it will keep you from shifting your weight forward as well as lifting up your big toes. As for the smith machine, you won't learn to balance without balancing. You shouldn't handicap the process by relying on that.