PDA

View Full Version : Evan "Ox" Centopani & Animal Help Make a Difference

naturalguy
11-20-12, 5:23 pm
http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r217/er1994/DSCN1101.jpg

On November 14th, Animal received this email from Chris Slavin, a 22-year old aspiring bodybuilder from New Jersey, who was diagnosed with a very rare form of hear cancer earlier this year:

“My name is Chris Slavin, I am 22 years old and was recently diagnosed with heart cancer. If you haven't heard of it, don't be discouraged because the disease is so rare that it only affects .0001% of the population. I was first diagnosed with a tumor in my heart in June 2012 and had open heart surgery to remove it. In July, the biopsy came back that my tumor was malignant and that I would have to receive chemotherapy treatment using two of the strongest chemos known to man. In the middle of September I finished 3 rounds of chemo and right now I am in the stages of receiving a heart transplant because no amount of chemo or radiation would have been able to kill all the tumorous cancer in my body. Right now this is the third week I have been waiting and I am hoping that it comes soon since I have not had a treatment in awhile and each day there is a chance that it could spread. Everyday I pray and hope that even after the surgery is over the cancer will not come back because according to, New York Presbyterian Hospital, only seventeen patients throughout the world have undergone this type of heart transplantation, and tumor free survival beyond two years has thus far been seen in only 3 patients. As you can see my life has completely been flipped upside down from being a very healthy, 22-year old college student to a weak, little, scared kid fighting for his life. ”

A few days ago, I was asked if I had free time today, November 20th. When I asked why, I was told that plans had been made to have Evan pay a surprise visit to Chris in the hospital to personally deliver some autographed posters – and would I be interested in going as well. Of course I said yes.

So we met in the lobby of the hospital, along with staff from Muscular Development (we reached out to them as well to ramp up the excitement for Chris). I brought along some gifts for Chris including Animal t-shirts and a gym bag. The staff at the hospital went in first to make sure Chris was up for visitors. Chris needed a few minutes to get ready but then welcomed us in, being a big fan of the Animal and Ox. In fact, Chris had on a red iconic Animal t-shirt when we walked in.

Let me tell you, Chris was blown away by meeting Ox in person. He and Ox talked for a while and I was amazed at the strength and will of this kid. Ox gave him a book that was passed on to him and personally autographed to Ox but he wanted Chris to have it. It was a very special moment. Ox also signed some Animal posters for him to hang in his hospital room. I was moved – to go through what he is going through at 22 is just amazing. He is going to come out of this stronger than ever, I know it.

Chris’s spirits were brought up today through the generosity of Ox, Animal & MD. As Chris sits and waits for a heart transplant donor (it’s been 6 weeks in the hospital so far), he can look at the posters that Ox signed and find some inspiration and strength. He hopes to get back to full health and can train again soon. I know he will make it. Though MD and I couldn’t stay long, do you want to know what? Ox stayed there in that hospital room for another three hours. I think that tells you something about the kind of bodybuilder and man Ox is. I’m really glad we drove up to make a difference in Chris’ life.

Here's an article with more insights and photos, Heart of a Champion: http://animalpak.com/html/article_details.cfm?ID=623

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r217/er1994/DSCN1102.jpg

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r217/er1994/DSCN1105.jpg

Universal Rep
11-20-12, 5:24 pm
Man, thats just awesome...

G Diesel
11-20-12, 5:33 pm
Nothing better or more important than that. A truly beautiful gesture.

What a tough kid.

Peace, G

World Eater
11-20-12, 5:36 pm
Great stuff. Woah.

J-Dawg
11-20-12, 5:44 pm
NG and OX--very awesome of you guys to go and visit Chris in the hospital! Wishing his transplant and surgery goes well. Here's to a speedy and strong recovery!

Animal
11-20-12, 5:52 pm
When I received the email from Chris last week, I knew exactly what we were going to do. So I immediately reached out to Ox and told him about the situation. Without any hesitation, he told me he was in and that he'd drive over and visit personally. I think that speaks volumes about who Evan is, his values and his character – and why we support him as a bodybuilder and as a man. Evan, thanks again. I know you made a difference today. To Chris, if you are reading this, good luck and don't lose faith. I hope Evan's visit has inspired you. You've come a long way and I know you're going to make it. Wishing you the best.

RaisingTheBar
11-20-12, 6:29 pm
This is awesome. Animal is an amazing community. So glad to see this kind of support.

Best wishes to Chris. Keep on fighting.

deanna7272
11-20-12, 7:35 pm
Wow... My hear goes out to Chris, I can't imagine having your world flipped upside down in an instant... Thoughts and prayers will continuously be sent his way!!

What an amazing gesture and genuinely thoughtful of Evan to make that trip and for him to give Chris a book, that i am sure meant the world to him, but we'd never expect anything less... So great that everyone could come together and make Chris's day one that he will never forget!!

Another reason why I appreciate and value my involvement here... You guys are awesome!!!

Ox
11-20-12, 7:38 pm
I just got home from visiting Chris. Where do you begin? The email that Chris sent to the guys at Universal Nutrition was passed on to me Wednesday night. Ironically, I spent all of last Thursday going from appointment to appointment with my father who also happens to have cancer. My father had his right lung and a section of his heart removed last year because they found a neuroendocrine tumor (it's a rarely seen form of cancer). He has since been receiving chemotherapy. A few weeks ago, I met my father to watch my younger sister's volleyball game and he told me that they found that his cancer had spread to areas in his neck and chest. So the day after receiving Chris's email was spent with my father visiting his oncologist and his surgeon in Westchester and Brooklyn respectively...right near Chris who also happens to be in Westchester. In any case, what I'm trying to say is that hearing what Chris had to say really hit home in light of everything happening right now with my father.

Chris and I spent a while talking and I hope he was left having benefited as much from our conversation as I did. I don't have cancer and that makes me unable to sit next to Chris or my father or anyone else and tell them that I know how they feel or that they have to do x, y and z to make it through. In reality, I can offer things that I have learned and suggest things that have helped me but at the end of it, when I'm sitting across from someone who, at the age of 22, has already had open heart surgery, is currently awaiting a heart transplant and facing odds that are not in his favor the fact of the matter is that I'm the one who walks away inspired. When someone like Chris won't stop thanking you for taking the time to come visit him you begin to feel really ridiculous because it only makes you uncomfortably aware of the fact that you should be doing more to give back.

Brometheus
11-21-12, 12:20 am
What an inspiring story. It things like this that make me love this community so much. I wish the best to both Chris and Ox's father.

Solid Dreams
11-21-12, 12:21 am
Evan, choked up a bit reading this.

You are the man, and one of the big reasons why I love Animal/Universal. I hope your dad does well, and thank you for being there for Chris. It's the little things in life that make a difference: you never know what will happen.

Razor
11-21-12, 8:24 am
Beyond beautiful. An amazing story and gesture. Definitely showcases another aspect of this company that you can't put into words.

Tiger
11-21-12, 10:53 am
Makes you really appreciate life, and how fragile it is.

Animal and Universal really do go above and beyond, and just when I think my opinion of Ox couldn't get any higher...

Here's hoping Chris pulls through.

Madcat
11-21-12, 11:05 am
First prayers and thoughts to Chris and Evan's father, and anyone else who is or knows someone going through something similar. Life is short, and you never know when it will be over so live it up and push yourself to do things you don't think you can. Chris is a perfect example of this.

He is also a perfect example of what Animal/Universal, OX, and MD represent, the never giving up, the keeping the fight alive spirit, and the true meaning of life. It's awesome to see something like this, and especially around the holidays and all the happenings at this time of year. If you don't get a little choked up reading that and seeing someone like Ox dedicating time to someone who admires him so much, I don't know what it'd take.

It'd be awesome if Chris were to be able to make a full recovery and train, maybe hit an ABC, a show, anything to continue to share the ideals that Animal and Universal represent.

Heres to everyone who made this happen, a big thumbs up!

naturalguy
11-21-12, 11:49 am
First prayers and thoughts to Chris and Evan's father, and anyone else who is or knows someone going through something similar. Life is short, and you never know when it will be over so live it up and push yourself to do things you don't think you can. Chris is a perfect example of this.

He is also a perfect example of what Animal/Universal, OX, and MD represent, the never giving up, the keeping the fight alive spirit, and the true meaning of life. It's awesome to see something like this, and especially around the holidays and all the happenings at this time of year. If you don't get a little choked up reading that and seeing someone like Ox dedicating time to someone who admires him so much, I don't know what it'd take.

It'd be awesome if Chris were to be able to make a full recovery and train, maybe hit an ABC, a show, anything to continue to share the ideals that Animal and Universal represent.

Heres to everyone who made this happen, a big thumbs up!

That is what I told him, he lives in New Jersey. I said once he makes a recover (not IF, I truly believe this kid will make it) that he is coming to an ABC event.

C.Coronato
11-21-12, 12:47 pm
Simply great story. OX is a true ambassador and putting others first. Best of luck Chris, get well soon my brother!

Big Wides
11-21-12, 12:52 pm
This is an awesome story all around and hits home. Best wishes for Chris and that he heals fast. It's the small moments like these that make the biggest impact

G Diesel
11-21-12, 6:10 pm
Great video from yesterday, displaying what true strength really is...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0-4KfPHWvc&list=UUpdqwOGsGSuI50cQ76kUEnA&index=1&feature=plpp_video

Shout to Evan, Animal, naturalguy, MD and Big Chris Slavin for making this happen.

Peace, G

maxrep
11-21-12, 6:26 pm
Thank you Evan, Your a huge guy,,but your heart is even bigger. The Animal crew never loses sight of thoughtfulness and encouragement to those in need.

God Bless ya

Flash419
11-21-12, 6:52 pm
WOW... truely shows just how short and fraglle life is.

Best wishes to both Chris and to Evan's dad, stay strong guys and never give up. Having delt with cancer in my own family I know the immediate way it turns your world upside down. To only be 22 and having had open heart surgery, and now playing the waiting game for a new heart is incredible. Hats off to Universal / Animal and Evan.. truely a class act all the way around and the biggest indicator of what the Animal brotherhood is all about.

Looking forward to seeing and meeting Chris at a future ABC. Hopefully his surgery comes soon enough to allow a trip to the Arnold and the Cage. I'm thinking honorary Intern?

Great story guys!

Ox
11-21-12, 9:05 pm
Meeting Chris yesterday was an honor for me. To see someone deal with adversity he way he is/has is inspiring to say the least. This morning I read an email that Chris had sent over either early this morning or late last night. I will tell you this; I TRULY believe that this kid will destroy his disease and heal himself. The tone of his email was that of a person who is on his way. That's powerful and all day today it made me want to go out of my way for anyone and everyone possible. I couldn't help but continue to think of how I can do things better or what I can do to be BETTER. The bottom line is that we all want to be "better" and we all CAN BE "better". If we can do better things then we can become better people and we can be better at anything we desire. Chris believes that and so do I.

Biggie973
11-22-12, 8:34 am
This is a beautiful thing that Ox, Animal & MD did.

Sprint
11-22-12, 10:53 am
This is what makes Animal & Universal who they are.

Is there a way to get updates on Chris' condition posted up somewhere here? Animal is family, we stand & fight together whether it means getting somebody pumped for a big lift, or keeping up to speed with the progress of a brother as he kicks the shit out of that thing.

Maybe there's a way he could get a Journey started in here, & as a whole we can help him past any sticking points he may encounter during the toughest set of his life.

naturalguy
11-22-12, 1:22 pm
This is what makes Animal & Universal who they are.

Is there a way to get updates on Chris' condition posted up somewhere here? Animal is family, we stand & fight together whether it means getting somebody pumped for a big lift, or keeping up to speed with the progress of a brother as he kicks the shit out of that thing.

Maybe there's a way he could get a Journey started in here, & as a whole we can help him past any sticking points he may encounter during the toughest set of his life.

I've been emailing with him. I sent him the link to his thread, not sure if he will post but we will try to update you. I plan on keeping in touch with him, I want to get him to an ABC.

TheGreatWhite
11-22-12, 1:55 pm
I'm blown away guys, no other way to describe it. Here's to wishing Chris well, may his life be blessed with good fortune and a fast recovery!

Sprint
11-22-12, 2:09 pm
I've been emailing with him. I sent him the link to his thread, not sure if he will post but we will try to update you. I plan on keeping in touch with him, I want to get him to an ABC.

Thanks man, I'll be watching closely, like a lot of others

BRIGNAC
11-24-12, 4:15 pm
Awesome! I am new to this community and get on this to read and learn all the time. To see that this company gives back the way they do is just amazing. Im glad i joined thats for sure. Best wishes to Chris and OX's dad.

iamthemacattack
11-25-12, 5:59 am
This is why I love bodybuilding. All in it together, one bro falls and another picks him up.

Best wishes to Chris, keep on fighting.

Universal Rep
11-26-12, 12:29 pm
Meeting Chris yesterday was an honor for me. To see someone deal with adversity he way he is/has is inspiring to say the least. This morning I read an email that Chris had sent over either early this morning or late last night. I will tell you this; I TRULY believe that this kid will destroy his disease and heal himself. The tone of his email was that of a person who is on his way. That's powerful and all day today it made me want to go out of my way for anyone and everyone possible. I couldn't help but continue to think of how I can do things better or what I can do to be BETTER. The bottom line is that we all want to be "better" and we all CAN BE "better". If we can do better things then we can become better people and we can be better at anything we desire. Chris believes that and so do I.

Thnx for goin brotha... I know it meant a lot to Chris and the fact that spent you all those hours with him on that day.

Animal
11-28-12, 10:47 am
Feature article now live on Animalpak.com: "Heart Of A Champion" (http://animalpak.com/html/article_details.cfm?ID=623)

Universal Rep
11-28-12, 11:15 am
Feature article now live on Animalpak.com: "Heart Of A Champion" (http://animalpak.com/html/article_details.cfm?ID=623)

Heart breaking as it is uplifting... Ima have to get a copy of that book, As A Man Thinketh...

John B
11-28-12, 11:44 am
Again, kudos to Universal and Ox for coming through once again. One of the many reasons I do business with Universal . . . the company goes beyond "doing business" and "selling products". I too, must purchase one of those books. As to Chris: I just wanted to state that I am including you in one of my daily meditation practices and continuing to send positive thoughts your way. Am looking forward to seeing photos of you hitting the weights once again in the near future and "strut your stuff" at a future Cage. Keep positive, and keep focused on healing; as Ox said, it all begins with the mind.

Universal Rep
11-28-12, 12:19 pm
Again, kudos to Universal and Ox for coming through once again. One of the many reasons I do business with Universal . . . the company goes beyond "doing business" and "selling products". I too, must purchase one of those books. As to Chris: I just wanted to state that I am including you in one of my daily meditation practices and continuing to send positive thoughts your way. Am looking forward to seeing photos of you hitting the weights once again in the near future and "strut your stuff" at a future Cage. Keep positive, and keep focused on healing; as Ox said, it all begins with the mind.

"Circumstance does not make the man, it reveals him to himself."

Appollonian
11-28-12, 1:10 pm
Wow. I can't use any words to describe how awesome this is, it speaks volumes of Evan's character and how great a company Universal Nutrition/Animal is.

Solid Dreams
11-28-12, 2:08 pm
Just read
Sprint [from the Animal FORVM] wrote, "Is there a way to get updates on Chris' condition posted up somewhere here? Animal is family, we stand & fight together whether it means getting somebody pumped for a big lift, or keeping up to speed with the progress of a brother as he kicks the shit out of that thing. Maybe there's a way he could get a Journey started in here, & as a whole we can help him past any sticking points he may encounter during the toughest set of his life."

Chris, that's what being a part of Animal is. Most of us haven't met (and maybe never will meet) but we're still brothers. It doesn't matter if you're white, black, yellow or orange, if you do power lifting or bodybuild or just want to get healthy. We're all here for each other.

KettleBellFreak
11-28-12, 5:36 pm
You've got a challenge unequal to anything that will ever stand before me, and obviously some balls twice as big with the attitude you have. You're going to win man.

naturalguy
11-29-12, 9:11 am
Update on Chris from Ox who has been keeping in touch with him:

"Late last night I received an email from Chris telling me that they have a heart for him and that he is scheduled for surgery at 7 a.m. today. In his email he let me know he was feeling a lot of different emotions and asked if I had any advise for him. I left him my number and told him to give me a call if he wanted to talk. One of the things he mentioned was how grateful he was for all of your support and how overwhelmed he was to see so many people who don't know him wish him well. He said it changed his outlook a bit and proved to him that, even with all the bad things that can happen in life, there is still so much good and that has helped reaffirm that life is in fact worth fighting for. I told him that I have always felt that when you have people behind you who want you to succeed, the energy created by them can only help your success become a reality. He agreed.

On that note, considering how important today is for Chris, keep your fingers crossed for him because I do believe it matters."

Universal Rep
11-29-12, 9:34 am

"Late last night I received an email from Chris telling me that they have a heart for him and that he is scheduled for surgery at 7 a.m. today. In his email he let me know he was feeling a lot of different emotions and asked if I had any advise for him. I left him my number and told him to give me a call if he wanted to talk. One of the things he mentioned was how grateful he was for all of your support and how overwhelmed he was to see so many people who don't know him wish him well. He said it changed his outlook a bit and proved to him that, even with all the bad things that can happen in life, there is still so much good and that has helped reaffirm that life is in fact worth fighting for. I told him that I have always felt that when you have people behind you who want you to succeed, the energy created by them can only help your success become a reality. He agreed.

On that note, considering how important today is for Chris, keep your fingers crossed for him because I do believe it matters."

Awesome news... All of us here are rootin for ya brotha.

korn_fed
11-29-12, 9:35 am
Big shout out to Chris, hope everything goes well brotha. if theres anything i can do to help your situation in any way, dont hesitate to ask.

Universal Rep
11-29-12, 9:37 am
Big shout out to Chris, hope everything goes well brotha. if theres anything i can do to help your situation in any way, dont hesitate to ask.

Wut about an ABC event in Chris' honor?

Sprint
11-29-12, 9:44 am
Some good news there, here's waitin for even better

wedge
11-29-12, 10:32 am
Best of luck to Chris and Ox's dad. Keep fighting. Animal Nation is in your corner.

Christman
11-29-12, 10:38 am
Wut about an ABC event in Chris' honor?

Well, the cage and the national ABC is just 3 months away.

J U S T I N
11-29-12, 10:51 am
Inspired? Motivated? Those words don't even come close to how that made me feel reading that. Amazing.

My dad is going through a situation right now involving severe diabetes and the after effects of a stroke - but at 62 years old he's still going strong. Seeing this and being exposed to these types of stories really help to put my life back into perspective when I think "my life is hard right now." - No, no, its not.

Best of luck to Chris and Ox's father.

-Animals in Pittsburgh.

shortstack
11-29-12, 11:08 am
Best of luck with the surgery. Hope it all works out and he gets out soon. Having run into some health issues with my daughter this year, I know how hard it is on the entire family and my thoughts and prayers are out to Chris and his family.

Jeremy

PS, that book is available on itunes as a free download.

Universal Rep
11-29-12, 11:17 am
Inspired? Motivated? Those words don't even come close to how that made me feel reading that. Amazing.

My dad is going through a situation right now involving severe diabetes and the after effects of a stroke - but at 62 years old he's still going strong. Seeing this and being exposed to these types of stories really help to put my life back into perspective when I think "my life is hard right now." - No, no, its not.

Best of luck to Chris and Ox's father.

-Animals in Pittsburgh.

Best wishes for ur pops too, brotha... Stories like this always make us re-think things, dont they?

Beowulf
11-29-12, 11:43 am

Great read and a truly inspirational story. Stay strong Chris and best of luck today.

Reuck
11-29-12, 11:56 am
Best wishes to you Chris from the xtreme fitness and ipyu.com family. Get well soon brother. You're a champion.

G Diesel
11-29-12, 12:01 pm
Thinking only STRONG thoughts for you today, Chris.

Without even having met you in person, you have touched and inspired us all, and you're just getting started. Thank you for that.

I look forward to watching you return with a vengeance, a stronger force than ever.

Peace, G

J U S T I N
11-29-12, 1:00 pm
Best wishes for ur pops too, brotha... Stories like this always make us re-think things, dont they?

Thanks, I appreciate it.

And of course they do, everytime. Its nice to have a reality check once in a while to get your mind back on track, expecially in bodybuilding. And in my case, the military too. Since both of those are such mentally demanding I need the check here and there.

If everyone put their problem out on a table in the middle, every person would pull their own back after seeing the other.

Dman
11-29-12, 1:08 pm
Chris, sending you positive vibes today may strength be with you during surgery!! Thought of you before I hit the iron the other day, and it just made me feel stronger cause your a warrior and inspired me so today Chris may surgery go well!

Solid Dreams
11-29-12, 1:09 pm
Chris, thinking of you dude! Keep going strong, we're all gonna meet up at the Arnold! (I vote you guys fly his ass out to the Arnold btw)

MikeNice
11-29-12, 1:13 pm
Positive vibes headed out to Chris.

I know that organ transplants are a life long procedure. The medications and the chance of rejection go on forever. I believe you can handle it though. I expect to see you lifting in The Cage no later than 2015. ;)

futilekyle
11-29-12, 1:34 pm
Chris good luck and stay strong, everyone here is with you

Universal Rep
11-29-12, 2:59 pm
If everyone put their problem out on a table in the middle, every person would pull their own back after seeing the other.

I like that.

Animal
11-29-12, 4:00 pm
Some good news there, here's waitin for even better

We're all keeping our fingers crossed here in the office.

J U S T I N
11-29-12, 4:33 pm
I like that.

My small write up, by the way.

What's your problem?
www.4matexp.blogspot.com

Merc_enary
11-29-12, 7:34 pm
I just wanted to add that although I am farily new to the community, this is one of the main reasons Animal stands out and i am honored of being part of this "family". Having close family member pass away from different types of cancer I can relate to how his family must feel and having Evan do what he did cannot be described with just words. True hero.

naturalguy
11-29-12, 8:21 pm
Just got word from Chris's sister, the surgery went well, he is in recovery right now

deanna7272
11-29-12, 11:16 pm
Just got word from Chris's sister, the surgery went well, he is in recovery right now

This is awesome news!!! Prayers continually sent!!! <3

Alexander
11-30-12, 9:43 am
Chris, keep your head up.
Best wishes from across the ocean.

Sprint
11-30-12, 10:56 am

That's what we like

Universal Rep
11-30-12, 10:57 am

Awesome, keep us updated NG...

Madcat
11-30-12, 11:37 am
Good to hear that the surgery went well. Also again, amazing wha the community has done for him, I think this is something we need to all keep up on, read, and keep us grounded. Almost like a sticky quite frankly. Chris is family to us all, he shares the same beliefs and desires we do and we need to show him we are here to support him in his ongoing hurdles. This is a life long procedure, not something done overnight and then flip the switch and boom. He just had another person's organ installed into his body, we must remember that.

I think that any/every update we can get and any positive vibes, prayers, thoughts, whatever you believe in doing is what will make his recovery and future better for him.

I dunno if we can sticky this or if that has to be like a Corp. decision, but again, Chris is family, and I know others have gone through some sh*t, but what Chris is going through makes all of us go through it with him.

Go strong Chris, show everyone what's up and be that guy that continues to set the bar high for all of us to follow.

Beowulf
11-30-12, 1:33 pm

Great to hear!

solomon_caine
11-30-12, 1:37 pm
I hope you don't start to think I'm kidding...but I actually shed tears. Chris' story will move you and make you realize that however difficult it maybe at times, there's always that silver lining behind every dark cloud. And for Ox to represent that silver lining is inspiring in itself.

Oh yeah, a rosary and mass will be said tomorrow for you, Chris. Keep hanging and never give up.

Sprint
11-30-12, 2:44 pm
Without wishing to stem the positivity, let us all also remember & give thanks to the unselfish person who provided the organ for Chris.

Da Eclipse
11-30-12, 7:37 pm
That's right Evan ...that's how the Pros do it brother ! have a fast recovery kid from an Animal out here in Cali.

rbowman91
12-02-12, 10:52 am
Chris is hardcore. Keep your head up bro! Glad it went well. Hope you're back slingin iron in no time!

Apoxiomenes
12-02-12, 1:25 pm
Chris and Evan are true Animals... much respect to both of you guys as well as to whole Animal community. My best wishes to Chris and Evan's father. Hope they get better soon...

Many greets from Croatia!

Alex

MikeNice
12-02-12, 3:35 pm
Maybe we can do an LE Iconic to raise awareness for the type of cancer, or loot for Chris's doc bills? If there is a ribon for the cancer it could be that color and have Ox in the logo.

Solid Dreams
12-02-12, 4:16 pm
Without wishing to stem the positivity, let us all also remember & give thanks to the unselfish person who provided the organ for Chris.
^ True that, Mike. The people who go unsung are often the people who save so many lives.

Maybe we can do an LE Iconic to raise awareness for the type of cancer, or loot for Chris's doc bills? If there is a ribon for the cancer it could be that color and have Ox in the logo.
I'd be down for a LE shirt, we should totally do some sort of charity/fundraiser/ABC. Fly HIGA out and make him deadlift for bucks again!

Madcat
12-02-12, 9:18 pm

Man good point, people, please if you can please be an organ donor, who know's maybe it was another animal fan that helped Chris out.

Ox
12-04-12, 3:09 pm
I received a text from Chris's father last night and he let me know that Chris is doing well. I think the support from all you guys makes a real difference...when people want you to do well, that positive energy does help!

Ox
12-04-12, 3:09 pm

100%

Universal Rep
12-04-12, 3:30 pm
I received a text from Chris's father last night and he let me know that Chris is doing well. I think the support from all you guys makes a real difference...when people want you to do well, that positive energy does help!

So awesome, thnx for the update brotha. Ur absolutely right.

Madcat
12-04-12, 4:29 pm

Awesome news, thank you for keeping us updated on Chris, he is part of the family.

Sprint
12-04-12, 6:26 pm

Brilliant news, thanks Evan.

gabrielus
12-05-12, 2:29 pm
Strenght and honnor from Romania ! Much love and think positive ! You have all the rights to do that !

Take care man !

Flash419
12-05-12, 11:04 pm
Thanks for keeping us updated Evan...

Get well soon Chris.. your in all of our thoughts bro...

Jay_de
12-06-12, 11:16 am
I hope you don't start to think I'm kidding...but I actually shed tears. Chris' story will move you and make you realize that however difficult it maybe at times, there's always that silver lining behind every dark cloud. And for Ox to represent that silver lining is inspiring in itself.

Oh yeah, a rosary and mass will be said tomorrow for you, Chris. Keep hanging and never give up.

Same here brother...

Originally read the story and watched the vid at the office and had to play it cool after I had people come in and my eyes were all puffy and my nose was running like a 5 year old with a cold.

Glad to hear Chris's surgery went well.

johnnylawyer
12-11-12, 12:12 pm
Chris, strength and prayers from your Animal brothers down in Mexico! True inspiration from him, Ox, NG, MD and the Animal family!

mdh84
12-11-12, 9:10 pm
Hey Chris. I hope that you are doing well and recovery is going well also. Keep fighting the good fight.

Matt

Universal Rep
12-12-12, 9:34 am

Any updates brotha?

Ox
12-12-12, 9:46 am
Any updates brotha?

Funny you should ask! I just spoke with Chris yesterday and he's supposed to be discharged this morning and home sweet home by this afternoon! My man says he's looking forward to his own bed and his mom's cooking! Those two would be at or near the top of my list too. Imagine that though, having your chest split open, your heart removed and new one put in its place? Then walking out of the hospital just over a week later? If THAT isn't Animal I don't know what is.

Madcat
12-12-12, 10:20 am
Man, talk about good news around the holidays! Chris is showing us daily, our problems aren't really problems, just little hurddles, nothing more.

Sounds like he may be back in the weightroom before we know it, but first some of mom's home cooking. Man I'd have her make everything I could think of and probably eat all of it, then pass out for a few days in my bed and just get up to pee.

Then once he's healed, he'll be moving some weight and showing us his inner Animal!

JUGGERNAUT
12-12-12, 11:00 am
Amazing. Chris is a true champion!

Universal Rep
12-12-12, 11:17 am
Man, talk about good news around the holidays! Chris is showing us daily, our problems aren't really problems, just little hurddles, nothing more.

Sounds like he may be back in the weightroom before we know it, but first some of mom's home cooking. Man I'd have her make everything I could think of and probably eat all of it, then pass out for a few days in my bed and just get up to pee.

Then once he's healed, he'll be moving some weight and showing us his inner Animal!

Aint nuthin beats moms home cookin, eh? Magical...

John B
12-12-12, 12:02 pm
Yeah, real food is usually the best medicine. Young man is a real inspiration. . . with his doctor's approval and all, maybe a trip to the Cage is in order.

MikeNice
12-12-12, 12:46 pm
Makes me feel like a bitch for whining about migraines.

Way to go Chris. Good luck on a speedy recovery my man.

Madcat
12-12-12, 12:58 pm
Yeah, real food is usually the best medicine. Young man is a real inspiration. . . with his doctor's approval and all, maybe a trip to the Cage is in order.

I'd toss in $$.

wedge
12-12-12, 2:49 pm
Funny you should ask! I just spoke with Chris yesterday and he's supposed to be discharged this morning and home sweet home by this afternoon! My man says he's looking forward to his own bed and his mom's cooking! Those two would be at or near the top of my list too. Imagine that though, having your chest split open, your heart removed and new one put in its place? Then walking out of the hospital just over a week later? If THAT isn't Animal I don't know what is.

Great news! Been checking in for updates. Good to hear Chris is on his way home.

Sprint
12-14-12, 8:05 pm
Awesome news. Thanks for the update, Evan.

Kill i oughtta
12-18-12, 12:43 pm
amazing story

chasebayne
12-18-12, 8:11 pm
It is heartwarming to see so much good happen. Wish Chris a speedy recovery, and if there's going to be a fund to send him to the cage next year, I'm in. Big kudos to everyone at universal, animal, and MD for putting this together right.
after how crap last week was, it was really.nice to see this story.

IRN-NML
12-23-12, 2:27 pm
Animal class and Animal brotherhood defined and worth exemplifying.

kcburrows
12-24-12, 1:32 pm
wow...right now i cant even think of the words to describe the inspiration this brother has given me, as well as the other in the fam. i find myself on a daily basis saying 'this is why i am proud to be part of such a great company' and usually its because the company has gone out of its way as is the case here once again. But this time i am proud to be part of a family that includes Chris and his strength courage and power! I saw a quote yesterday that read "courage is not the absance of fear, it is realizing something is far more important thatn the fear you feel" Chris i am glad your home for the holidays and proud to be your brother. you my man are courageous in every way!!!!

Ox
12-27-12, 9:47 am
Just to give you guys an update on Chris; he is glad to be home and he celebrated his birthday last week. Of course, he has a lot to contend with trying to make sure his body continues to accept the transplant and the daily grind of not being able to do what he wants to do and not feeling like himself. But, all things considered, this kid is motivated to be a success and is constantly asking himself what he can do to ensure that. And THAT is what's up; always asking yourself "Do the things I do every day fully support my goal(s)?". If the answer is "no", change what you're doing. If the answer is yes, then still ask how you can change for the better. All good things.

deanna7272
12-27-12, 11:04 am
Thanks for the update!! I was wondering how he has been doing... I bet it's also frustrating to have to "limit" his activities due to recovery, yet absolutely necessary. I know how we all struggle taking time off for a cold... He is probably so motivated to get back to "normal" right now, especially with you in his corner. It's awesome how you were able to do something, that seems so small in the grand scheme of things, yet make such a HUGE difference in his life...

Universal Rep
12-27-12, 3:34 pm
Just to give you guys an update on Chris; he is glad to be home and he celebrated his birthday last week. Of course, he has a lot to contend with trying to make sure his body continues to accept the transplant and the daily grind of not being able to do what he wants to do and not feeling like himself. But, all things considered, this kid is motivated to be a success and is constantly asking himself what he can do to ensure that. And THAT is what's up; always asking yourself "Do the things I do every day fully support my goal(s)?". If the answer is "no", change what you're doing. If the answer is yes, then still ask how you can change for the better. All good things.

Great to hear and solid words brotha. Keep strivin Chris...

Madcat
12-27-12, 4:44 pm
Thanks for the update Evan, good spread in MD about it this month too.

Sprint
12-27-12, 5:33 pm
More good news, thanks for the update, Evan.

Limitless89
12-27-12, 5:47 pm
Hello everyone this is Chris Slavin the patient Evan came to see at Westchester Medical Center. I've been meaning to post a lot sooner however, I recently received my new heart on 11/29/12 and was unable to go on the computer for sometime.

Anyways its been about a month after my surgery, they performed a heart transplant and took out part of my left lung because something showed up on one of the scans that showed the cancer might have spread so they decided to be aggressive and take part of it out just in case. I was discharged from the hospital exactly 14 days after my surgery and right now things are finally looking up for once and I truly believe the worst is behind me. On top of the good news that the heart is working properly, the pathology report came back saying that there was no signs of cancer in my heart or my lung which is typically not the case and therefore the reason I had to get a second heart operation. However, I am still waiting to have a PET scan done sometime next week to see if any traces of cancer had spread while I waiting in the hospital because 3 months went by with me not receiving treatment that they fear it could have spread. So they just want to make sure and check that nothing traveled where it shouldn't. And one of the reasons I feel so confident is because the pathology report came back negative which like I said before is not typical so my Drs. figure if the cancer was eradicated than it couldn't have spread anywhere else.

Although each day is still very tough and challenging aside the pain from the surgery, I know that each day I will get stronger and each day I will be able to take less of the anti rejection medication. Honestly right now I'd have to agree with the medical community that the first few months after transplant are the hardest. And one of the reasons they say this is because of the new lifestyle adjustments I have to make. One of the worst is taking all the anti rejection meds I got to take, the frequent heart biopsies I have to go to weekly, and all the blood drawings they want. Which may not sound like much but i have to take about 30 pills a day all to help suppress my immune system so my body isn't strong enough to reject the new heart but accept it so that it doesn't fight it off and see it as a foreign object. And many of these drugs I'm taking have harsh side effects the worst probably being prednisone which if you look online has many harsh side effects especially at a high dose which I unfortunately have to take. Also the heart biopsies aren't a walk in the park either because we have to travel an hr and a half at 6 Am there and back to Westchester Medical to have a catheter put in my neck going down to my heart to get some cell samples to see if the body is accepting or rejecting the heart. Now they do perform a lidocaine shot before but man does it still hurt.

Currently I've had 4 done and the first two my body was rejecting the new heart but that is typical and they just put you on more meds to further suppress your immune system. The 3rd one my body starting accepting it but the most recent one I had done on wed my body was starting to reject it so they simply upped the amount of pills I gotta take. Also the reason why I say having blood drawn sucks is because i've had it done so many times in the past and two is because I hate needles. So you can only imagine the anxiety I have about it but its slowly going away which is good esp since I gotta take insulin shots now because of the prednisone which makes my blood sugar higher. Aside from things that may seem minuscule such as the ones i've mentioned above I'd also like to mention that I am trying to keep a positive outlook and perspective on things. That in the long term everything will have been worth it and I will still have a lot of my old life back which I cannot be fortunate enough when everything turns out that I truly beat this thing.

I'd like to also personally thank everyone one of you who posted something positive about me and to keep going because I can promise you this whole experience has been a nightmare from hell! As you might have known from the article i was a perfectly healthy kid with no prior health conditions and had an impeccable diet that I never imagined it could have happened to me. But like me and Evan had talked about, it happened for a reason and I can make of it what I want out of it. Which is one thing I've learned perspective is everything when you look at something that is why i'm trying to make the best of the situation while still hoping to have my old life back one day. But again personally like to thank everyone for their support by watching my video with evan and commenting on something positive because when my parents or girlfriend read it to me while I was too weak to go on the computer each response made me stronger and want to get better so thank you all for your support and I can't thank you enough.

Also again, Animal I'd like to thank you for pulling this all together and making it happen and that your community is truly like a family. And lastly, Evan I know I've thanked you a million times in the past but I'd like to personally thank you on the forum and let everyone know what a super genuinely nice guy you are. I'd also like to say that Evan is the kind of guy that would give you the shirt off his back and I'm not just saying that because he came and saw me but because he walked the walk and talked the talk. Meaning the night I got word that there was a possible heart for me Evan was there for me and helped calm me down because of how emotional i was. And at the end of our conversation I looked down at my phone and we had spoken for 1hr 37 mins. Thats something I will never forget and I am glad to call him a good friend of mine because he has been such an inspiration, motivation, and has always been there when I truly needed it. I am happy say that we still keep in contact to this day and each time he provides meaningful words of advice. Thank you again everyone for all your support during my recovery it means the world to me and words can honestly not express the feelings I have. Also feel free to ask any questions, comments, or suggestions.

-Chris

Sprint
12-28-12, 5:27 am
Hello everyone this is Chris Slavin the patient Evan came to see at Westchester Medical Center. I've been meaning to post a lot sooner however, I recently received my new heart on 11/29/12 and was unable to go on the computer for sometime.

Anyways its been about a month after my surgery, they performed a heart transplant and took out part of my left lung because something showed up on one of the scans that showed the cancer might have spread so they decided to be aggressive and take part of it out just in case. I was discharged from the hospital exactly 14 days after my surgery and right now things are finally looking up for once and I truly believe the worst is behind me. On top of the good news that the heart is working properly, the pathology report came back saying that there was no signs of cancer in my heart or my lung which is typically not the case and therefore the reason I had to get a second heart operation. However, I am still waiting to have a PET scan done sometime next week to see if any traces of cancer had spread while I waiting in the hospital because 3 months went by with me not receiving treatment that they fear it could have spread. So they just want to make sure and check that nothing traveled where it shouldn't. And one of the reasons I feel so confident is because the pathology report came back negative which like I said before is not typical so my Drs. figure if the cancer was eradicated than it couldn't have spread anywhere else.

Although each day is still very tough and challenging aside the pain from the surgery, I know that each day I will get stronger and each day I will be able to take less of the anti rejection medication. Honestly right now I'd have to agree with the medical community that the first few months after transplant are the hardest. And one of the reasons they say this is because of the new lifestyle adjustments I have to make. One of the worst is taking all the anti rejection meds I got to take, the frequent heart biopsies I have to go to weekly, and all the blood drawings they want. Which may not sound like much but i have to take about 30 pills a day all to help suppress my immune system so my body isn't strong enough to reject the new heart but accept it so that it doesn't fight it off and see it as a foreign object. And many of these drugs I'm taking have harsh side effects the worst probably being prednisone which if you look online has many harsh side effects especially at a high dose which I unfortunately have to take. Also the heart biopsies aren't a walk in the park either because we have to travel an hr and a half at 6 Am there and back to Westchester Medical to have a catheter put in my neck going down to my heart to get some cell samples to see if the body is accepting or rejecting the heart. Now they do perform a lidocaine shot before but man does it still hurt.

Currently I've had 4 done and the first two my body was rejecting the new heart but that is typical and they just put you on more meds to further suppress your immune system. The 3rd one my body starting accepting it but the most recent one I had done on wed my body was starting to reject it so they simply upped the amount of pills I gotta take. Also the reason why I say having blood drawn sucks is because i've had it done so many times in the past and two is because I hate needles. So you can only imagine the anxiety I have about it but its slowly going away which is good esp since I gotta take insulin shots now because of the prednisone which makes my blood sugar higher. Aside from things that may seem minuscule such as the ones i've mentioned above I'd also like to mention that I am trying to keep a positive outlook and perspective on things. That in the long term everything will have been worth it and I will still have a lot of my old life back which I cannot be fortunate enough when everything turns out that I truly beat this thing.

I'd like to also personally thank everyone one of you who posted something positive about me and to keep going because I can promise you this whole experience has been a nightmare from hell! As you might have known from the article i was a perfectly healthy kid with no prior health conditions and had an impeccable diet that I never imagined it could have happened to me. But like me and Evan had talked about, it happened for a reason and I can make of it what I want out of it. Which is one thing I've learned perspective is everything when you look at something that is why i'm trying to make the best of the situation while still hoping to have my old life back one day. But again personally like to thank everyone for their support by watching my video with evan and commenting on something positive because when my parents or girlfriend read it to me while I was too weak to go on the computer each response made me stronger and want to get better so thank you all for your support and I can't thank you enough.

Also again, Animal I'd like to thank you for pulling this all together and making it happen and that your community is truly like a family. And lastly, Evan I know I've thanked you a million times in the past but I'd like to personally thank you on the forum and let everyone know what a super genuinely nice guy you are. I'd also like to say that Evan is the kind of guy that would give you the shirt off his back and I'm not just saying that because he came and saw me but because he walked the walk and talked the talk. Meaning the night I got word that there was a possible heart for me Evan was there for me and helped calm me down because of how emotional i was. And at the end of our conversation I looked down at my phone and we had spoken for 1hr 37 mins. Thats something I will never forget and I am glad to call him a good friend of mine because he has been such an inspiration, motivation, and has always been there when I truly needed it. I am happy say that we still keep in contact to this day and each time he provides meaningful words of advice. Thank you again everyone for all your support during my recovery it means the world to me and words can honestly not express the feelings I have. Also feel free to ask any questions, comments, or suggestions.

-Chris

Good to see you posting, man.

Keep fighting, & keep us updated.

MikeNice
12-28-12, 8:25 am
Thanks for the update. It is good to hear that you're making strides in the right direction. Keep fighting and we'll keep cheering for you.

naturalguy
12-28-12, 8:36 am
I didn't realize how much was involved in the recovery Chris. Take it one day at a time and you will climb back slowly but surely

Universal Rep
12-28-12, 10:36 am
One step at a time brotha, one step at a time. Focus on today and each and every day... And tomorrow will be here in no time flat.

John B
12-28-12, 12:12 pm
Keep fighting the good fight man . . . we're all here for you. Eventually you'll be planning your workouts instead of medical appts. Each day brings you closer.

deanna7272
12-28-12, 8:04 pm
Just think Chris, in no time you will be able to switch those 30 pills a day to a couple doses of Pak (22 is better than 30, right??)...lol. All jokes aside, it's great to see the post from you and being able to see/hear the positivity.

Stay strong, stay positive, and stick around!!! Continually sending positive thoughts, prayers, and such your way!!!

Ox
12-31-12, 9:31 pm
THAT'S my man! Spoken like a champ. You're better today than you were yesterday and that's not simply by chance. It's because you choose to BE better. Don't stop. Never is it so easy to believe that anything is possible than on the eve of a new year.

“WE CAN'T ALWAYS CONTROL OUR CIRCUMSTANCES BUT WE CAN CONTROL OUR ATTITUDE.

WE MUST BE MORE CONCERNED WITH WHAT WE DO WITH WHAT HAPPENS TO US THAN WHAT HAPPENS TO US.

HAPPINESS DOES NOT DEPEND ON WHAT HAPPENS OUTSIDE OF YOU BUT ON WHAT HAPPENS INSIDE OF YOU.”

Madcat
01-01-13, 1:28 am
Chris, had no idea what all was needed to continue with the battle you are fighting. Keep going strong brother, you WILL beat this and we are all here for you. It's good to see you posting and hopefully the Forum will be as good to you as it has for all of us. There will be days you may need a little motivation, or a small pick me up, this is the place for it brother, and we will bring it for you anytime you need it.

God Bless, and let's make 2013 the year for Chris Slavin!

cstmgp
01-03-13, 8:10 pm
In the world of today where so many things make you question the good will, work ethic, and integrity of modern men, I am constantly reminded that there are still a good number of people out there tough in both body and mind. Chris, you my brother are the epitome of not only that will to survive, but of the determination and strength to overcome things that no person should have to endure and still live your life the way you want to live it. Keep fighting your fight, and I'm sure you'll not only recover, but maybe have your own poster on the wall one day.

As for Animal, I don't think anyone that's followed the forum as long as I have needs to be reminded about the integrity of this company and its athletes/employees. Keep doing what you're doing.

I just stumbled upon this story today, but you can bet that I'll be checking back regularly. Chris is an inspiration to all animals in their battles both big and small, and I hope I can handle any situation thrown my way with the strength and class this young man seems to possess.

Shaun

Universal Rep
01-04-13, 10:22 am

-Chris

Yo C, lookin forward to more inspirin words from you brotha... Stay strong.

THAT'S my man! Spoken like a champ. You're better today than you were yesterday and that's not simply by chance. It's because you choose to BE better. Don't stop. Never is it so easy to believe that anything is possible than on the eve of a new year.

“WE CAN'T ALWAYS CONTROL OUR CIRCUMSTANCES BUT WE CAN CONTROL OUR ATTITUDE.

WE MUST BE MORE CONCERNED WITH WHAT WE DO WITH WHAT HAPPENS TO US THAN WHAT HAPPENS TO US.

HAPPINESS DOES NOT DEPEND ON WHAT HAPPENS OUTSIDE OF YOU BUT ON WHAT HAPPENS INSIDE OF YOU.”

Thnx for all that you've done man.

Limitless89
01-05-13, 2:37 pm
1/2/13

It was about Monday afternoon when I contacted Evan to see if he was free to meet up because we (my father and I) had to get a routine biopsy of the heart done to see if there is rejection or acceptance of the new heart at Westchester Medical Hospital in Valhalla, NY again (every wed each week). So I gave Evan a call because I really wanted to catch up since I hadn't seen him since the last photo shoot and he had said anytime I'm in the area we could meet up somewhere or I was invited to his house so I decided to take him up on it. As you can imagine Evans a really busy person but when he mentioned that he would specifically make time for me to visit him on wed it even further reinstated to me the kind of person Evan is.

Anyways the biopsy went as planned, blood work, the operation and then it was off to see Evan who lives about 45 mins to an hr away. As we neared where he lived, I tried to find which one was his house because I had seen it before in a video from MD. But i was too late because we pulled up to it before I recognized it. As we pulled into a long drive way that wraps around the back of the house I got out and just thought damn this is Evan Centopani's house and was filled with joy. As we decided to walk into the front or the back, my dad suggested the back and quickly we were greeted by Evan's lovely fiancee Erica. And if you ever wondered what she looks like since theres no pictures online of them together she is a very friendly, beautiful, compassionate, down to earth woman who seems to be a perfect fit for Evan.

Evan was just running home from the gym so Erica was very accommodating and offered us a drink and we sat down and had a good conversation. About a few mins later Evan showed up in a yellow powerhouse sweatshirt like the one i was wearing except his was yellow and with no hood. He said he had been working chest and abs but the first thing I noticed was how huge his legs looked I even mentioned that I thought he had just lifted them and they still were swoll from the pump. But he had said no he lifted them on monday. Damn fine genetics right there.

It was kind of funny because my dad actually really wanted to meet Evan since he knew how much of a great guy he was to come see me and they actually ended up talking the most, plus I was a little tired from the pain meds and sedative they put me on from the surgery but my dad actually had a lot of questions for Evan which was nice to see. Evan also showed me his new juicer something I am actually taking up too for health benefits such as fighting cancer and he said he does it twice a day and even gave me his own recipe which was pretty cool.

Also if your wondering what Evans house looks like theres a video of it from MD on youtube i believe but the house was exactly like Evan believe it or not and if that makes any sense. A nice quaint traditional white house with black shutters i believe, that was renovated from top to bottom. It seemed to fit perfectly with Evan's mentality and perspective on unnecessary overabundance. Meaning there were no fancy sports cars like you see some Bodybuilders have or some freakishly large 5000 square foot house but it seemed the perfect fit for him and his family.

Lastly, it was awesome seeing Evan again and meeting his family including his daughter and fiancee, hopefully I nor my dad scared her daughter too bad bc she was a little shy but overall it was a great experience and am happy to say I will be able to cherish for a life time. I am also looking forward to seeing Evan in his next competition in his home town and Evan I will be sure to be there bud! Look forward to hearing from you and wish the best with your fathers recovery. And thank you for the advice you gave me on the 4th it really means a lot and you've given me a new perspective on whats really important and ways I should be bettering myself. Please animal community feel free to leave me or Evan any questions on this post.

-Chris Slavin

Limitless89
01-05-13, 2:55 pm
1/4/13

On thursday the 3rd my dad took me to get a PET scan to see if any cancer had spread this was a big one that could change my life. Because if it had spread that meant additional chemotherapy and possible radiation. A regiment I know all too well. However, I recently got back the results the next day and my PET scan showed a positive outcome and I am happy/overjoyed/relieved to say I am *Currently cancer free! I starred it because right now I have no signs of cancer in my body however as anyone who knows a thing or two about cancer, too many times does it come back and out of remission. So I am taking positive steps in making sure I kick this thing in the ass as much as possible and show it no mercy through an even better/stricter diet such as more veges, exercise, and positive/motivational books and audiotapes. To make sure I stay in the lead of this thing. In the end I know I will defeat this deadly rare disease and keep following my dream to eventually become an IFBB pro bodybuilder.

-Chris Slavin

Sprint
01-05-13, 3:16 pm
All good shit in here!

Solid Dreams
01-05-13, 5:53 pm
That is FANTASTIC news Chris! Congratulations, and keep on staying healthy my friend!

John B
01-06-13, 11:21 am
Awesome stuff Chris! You're attitude and "never say no" persistence has more than a little to do what these results. One day at a time.

MikeNice
01-06-13, 3:11 pm
This is great to hear. Keep going at this rate and you'll be performing in the cage by 2015!

Universal Rep
01-07-13, 9:31 am
1/4/13

On thursday the 3rd my dad took me to get a PET scan to see if any cancer had spread this was a big one that could change my life. Because if it had spread that meant additional chemotherapy and possible radiation. A regiment I know all too well. However, I recently got back the results the next day and my PET scan showed a positive outcome and I am happy/overjoyed/relieved to say I am *Currently cancer free! I starred it because right now I have no signs of cancer in my body however as anyone who knows a thing or two about cancer, too many times does it come back and out of remission. So I am taking positive steps in making sure I kick this thing in the ass as much as possible and show it no mercy through an even better/stricter diet such as more veges, exercise, and positive/motivational books and audiotapes. To make sure I stay in the lead of this thing. In the end I know I will defeat this deadly rare disease and keep following my dream to eventually become an IFBB pro bodybuilder.

-Chris Slavin

So far so good, CS, so far so good...

Enforcer
01-07-13, 9:34 am
This just goes to show the type of guy Evan is. Nothing but a first class guy and so many wonder why he gets the respect he does

Guardian
01-07-13, 1:32 pm
This was a real inspirational story for me, and it's awesome to have guys like Evan do this. I imagine it has really opened the eyes to a lot of people to just how precious life really is and some things we may over look in our daily life, and take for granted. Chris shows exactly what true strength is, as I couldn't even begin to imagine myself in that situation. The Animal pak team, and Evan you all did a great job showing how a community is really suppose to support one another. We are all in this together supporting Chris, brothers united. Chris, my brother, the best of luck to you, and I wish you a speedy recovery!

-Guardian

Universal Rep
01-09-13, 1:02 pm
1/4/13

-Chris Slavin

Any updates worth mentioning, CS?

PLANETGETLOW
01-09-13, 1:15 pm
I just got home from visiting Chris. Where do you begin? The email that Chris sent to the guys at Universal Nutrition was passed on to me Wednesday night. Ironically, I spent all of last Thursday going from appointment to appointment with my father who also happens to have cancer. My father had his right lung and a section of his heart removed last year because they found a neuroendocrine tumor (it's a rarely seen form of cancer). He has since been receiving chemotherapy. A few weeks ago, I met my father to watch my younger sister's volleyball game and he told me that they found that his cancer had spread to areas in his neck and chest. So the day after receiving Chris's email was spent with my father visiting his oncologist and his surgeon in Westchester and Brooklyn respectively...right near Chris who also happens to be in Westchester. In any case, what I'm trying to say is that hearing what Chris had to say really hit home in light of everything happening right now with my father.

Chris and I spent a while talking and I hope he was left having benefited as much from our conversation as I did. I don't have cancer and that makes me unable to sit next to Chris or my father or anyone else and tell them that I know how they feel or that they have to do x, y and z to make it through. In reality, I can offer things that I have learned and suggest things that have helped me but at the end of it, when I'm sitting across from someone who, at the age of 22, has already had open heart surgery, is currently awaiting a heart transplant and facing odds that are not in his favor the fact of the matter is that I'm the one who walks away inspired. When someone like Chris won't stop thanking you for taking the time to come visit him you begin to feel really ridiculous because it only makes you uncomfortably aware of the fact that you should be doing more to give back.

Props to you and Animal for reaching out........

Godspeed to your dad, Chris, and anybody else with a serious illness

Firedrake
01-11-13, 12:51 pm
Chris,

I just picked up on this thread for the first time since your surgery -- I'm delighted to hear that you're cancer-free, but also pleased that you recognize it can crop up again. We'll all just hope and pray it doesn't. When I was 18, two months after my own first bodybuilding contest, I had to have a tumor removed from my spine. That was November, 1972 -- just over 40 years ago. Since then, I've had one small tumor in my shoulder <???>, and a couple of basal cell carcinomas (in places that got no sun exposure), but nothing major. I've had other medical issues, thanks to the military, but the cancer has not come back, and I get checked regularly, even now.

Your story is an inspiring one, and I'm glad you've turned to Evan and the Animal family for support. One thing I've discovered is that this is truly a family, in ways most folks don't understand. If there's anything that can be done to motivate or help you get through the difficulties of recovery, I'm sure we can offer something. For all of that, if you want to talk to another cancer survivor, I can be found at firedrake (at) earthlink.net.

You are an Animal of the first order!

Jim Davis

MetalTechnician
01-13-13, 12:37 am
This is so inspiring!! Props to Ox for giving this guy the lift he needed. Congrats on being cancer free Chris, I hope it stays that way. Every lift I make in the gym will be dedicated to you for beating the shit out of this thing. We are here for you when ever you need us, brother.

Late,
MT

theMatko
01-28-13, 5:28 am
Hey bro, just want to tell you to keep pushing through this situation you're going through! All respect to Ox and the Animal team. We're all here for you to support you
the best way we can. You are truly an amazing person Chris! Believe in yourself and in the thought to overcome this and always remember one thing; NEVER GIVE UP!
Peace and love bro! God bless you

Randall
02-13-13, 5:14 pm
Just keep fighting Chris, you truely are real warrior. And another class act by Evan.

Beowulf
02-14-13, 9:17 am
Hope everything is going well with you Chris.

Chadallen
05-31-13, 5:03 am
Chris brother, I truly want you to beat this thing, i wish you the best brother, stay strong, you've got my support and prayer's brother.

Sprint
08-03-13, 7:51 am
What's the latest on Chris?

Limitless89
09-30-13, 6:13 pm
Hello everyone,

First off let me say I apologize for not posting for awhile but I've been on a hiatus if you will, enjoying life with friends and family. Since my surgery almost a year ago I have been doing fairly well up until last month where I was in and out of the hospital from constant nausea. It wasnt until about a month later that the Drs. found a virus known as CMV typical in transplant patients and which they believe to be causing the nausea. As a result, Im on a light chemotherapy regiment to kill the virus for about two weeks. However there is nothing to fear as this is very light chemo/virus medication to kill the virus as oppose to cancer treatment. But I will admit there is alittle nausea and tiredness involved.
As for my lifting I have to admit i've been taking it pretty easy to allow my breast bone to fully heal and not break or have anything happen to my chest since I've had two major surgeries. However I just started lifting literally two days ago at GOLDS GYM in ROSEVILLE,CA where near me and my family have recently moved to. So if anyones near there or trains there let me know! I'll probably have my belt on from Cardillo belts and from my close friend Guy Cisternino.
And for all those who like to make excuses, even on this light chemo I still felt the urge to get up and lift and start my 2013 comeback. And I have to say it feels great to be back in the gym getting that pump again. Theres nothing like it! And even though I cant do certain lifts or go as heavy as I used to I still train hard like an animal every day. Whether it comes to the food or the actual lifting I try to go as intense or hardcore as I can.
As for the future, I plan on continuing to lift and get as freakishly huge as possible and even plan to compete in an amateur show once I've started to gain some of my mass back. Again thank you for all the positive feedback and support! It really means the world to me that I had so many people having my back!

-Chris Slavin

papercut
09-30-13, 6:43 pm
good to hear from you again Chris. Glad to hear you're continuing to get better. hopefully you can kick that virus quick. keep killin it bro.

iamthemacattack
10-01-13, 5:19 am
Good to hear Chris, keep fighting brother. I've no doubt you will win your show.

Chase "BIG COUNTRY" Browning
10-01-13, 9:59 am
Glad to hear things are going well Chris!

naturalguy
10-01-13, 11:40 am
It's encouraging to hear that you are back on your feet and training again

They say "That which does not destroy us makes us stronger" and it seems so in this case. Keep pressing on.

John B
10-01-13, 6:19 pm
Great stuff Chris, keep training! Glad to see you on this side of the country. I'm a little bit south of you but next time I travel north to see my son in Chico, maybe we can meet up and hit the gym together. Keep us all up to date.

BamBam
10-02-13, 12:12 pm
Awesome man... just catching up with everything and it's truly inspiring. You are the definition of ANIMAL.

A wise man once told me that "it's not about where you start, nor where you are, but where you end up that is key.." I lost that man to a 2 yr fight with pancreatic cancer 11 yrs ago. My grandfather. You radiate his words and keep hammering away and one day I will be sure to be reading about the new IFBB Pro BIG CHRIS!!!

SquatPressPull
10-02-13, 12:22 pm
Hello everyone,

First off let me say I apologize for not posting for awhile but I've been on a hiatus if you will, enjoying life with friends and family. Since my surgery almost a year ago I have been doing fairly well up until last month where I was in and out of the hospital from constant nausea. It wasnt until about a month later that the Drs. found a virus known as CMV typical in transplant patients and which they believe to be causing the nausea. As a result, Im on a light chemotherapy regiment to kill the virus for about two weeks. However there is nothing to fear as this is very light chemo/virus medication to kill the virus as oppose to cancer treatment. But I will admit there is alittle nausea and tiredness involved.
As for my lifting I have to admit i've been taking it pretty easy to allow my breast bone to fully heal and not break or have anything happen to my chest since I've had two major surgeries. However I just started lifting literally two days ago at GOLDS GYM in ROSEVILLE,CA where near me and my family have recently moved to. So if anyones near there or trains there let me know! I'll probably have my belt on from Cardillo belts and from my close friend Guy Cisternino.
And for all those who like to make excuses, even on this light chemo I still felt the urge to get up and lift and start my 2013 comeback. And I have to say it feels great to be back in the gym getting that pump again. Theres nothing like it! And even though I cant do certain lifts or go as heavy as I used to I still train hard like an animal every day. Whether it comes to the food or the actual lifting I try to go as intense or hardcore as I can.
As for the future, I plan on continuing to lift and get as freakishly huge as possible and even plan to compete in an amateur show once I've started to gain some of my mass back. Again thank you for all the positive feedback and support! It really means the world to me that I had so many people having my back!

-Chris Slavin

Hat's off to you sir! A lot of people "see" me as an inspiration, well, you are my inspiration. To keep going after being knocked down so hard... my situation is nothing but a grain of salt... if that.

Keep your head up and keep going. I'm going to follow your progress and hope to see you on the stage and even meet you one day.

Sprint
10-02-13, 1:20 pm
Keep fighting, bro.

Limitless89
10-08-13, 1:12 am
Humility

So for those of you following my thread, I just thought Id let you guys know that I started training again and ill be honest its been tough! From the way my body feels, to how quickly I get tired its a miserable feeling lol. I wish I could say I am back to getting the same pump I used to throwing around the same amount of weight but then I wouldnt be telling the truth. The weights I use are physically light but feel so heavy to me now. It really put me into perspective how disciplined I was before when I was lifting heavy weights and weighed a lot. Also even though the weights I use now arent the most impressive, I still go with full intensity to try to rip those muscle fibers up as much as possible. So far I cant say I have been killing it in the gym either yet because I was on a light cycle of chemo to kill a common virus among transplant patients. In other words I believe its hard to train your hardest when your sick and not feeling your best. As for nutrition I've been trying to eat big and increase my diet each day/week as much as I can to get BIG.

As for my future goals I hope to be able to qualify for the NPC collegiate level since I still have 11 credits till I graduate with my bachelors degree in Economics and a minor in Communications and Im 23 now so I'm under the 25 age mark. Hopefully Ill be able to make my mark on stage there and truly bring a spectacular package along with Evan Centopani and Guy Cisterninos help. For those of you who dont know Guy hes an IFBB 212 pro and is another athlete that came to see me who I now look up to and for advice like Evan. I really hope I can compete with the best someday as it has been a dream of mine since 19 to progress everyday in the sport of bodybuilding. Also I want to thank everyone that has posted on this thread again for so much support and positive feedback. Hope to hear from you guys on any of your opinions/questions you guys have too.

-Chris Slavin

Limitless89
10-08-13, 3:36 am
Great stuff Chris, keep training! Glad to see you on this side of the country. I'm a little bit south of you but next time I travel north to see my son in Chico, maybe we can meet up and hit the gym together. Keep us all up to date.

yea sure john b anytime just let me know when your traveling north. It would be my pleasure to train with you. This also guys for anyone else near my area dont be hesitant to drop by and say hi!

-Chris Slavin

Universal Rep
10-08-13, 12:09 pm
Humility

So for those of you following my thread, I just thought Id let you guys know that I started training again and ill be honest its been tough! From the way my body feels, to how quickly I get tired its a miserable feeling lol. I wish I could say I am back to getting the same pump I used to throwing around the same amount of weight but then I wouldnt be telling the truth. The weights I use are physically light but feel so heavy to me now. It really put me into perspective how disciplined I was before when I was lifting heavy weights and weighed a lot. Also even though the weights I use now arent the most impressive, I still go with full intensity to try to rip those muscle fibers up as much as possible. So far I cant say I have been killing it in the gym either yet because I was on a light cycle of chemo to kill a common virus among transplant patients. In other words I believe its hard to train your hardest when your sick and not feeling your best. As for nutrition I've been trying to eat big and increase my diet each day/week as much as I can to get BIG.

As for my future goals I hope to be able to qualify for the NPC collegiate level since I still have 11 credits till I graduate with my bachelors degree in Economics and a minor in Communications and Im 23 now so I'm under the 25 age mark. Hopefully Ill be able to make my mark on stage there and truly bring a spectacular package along with Evan Centopani and Guy Cisterninos help. For those of you who dont know Guy hes an IFBB 212 pro and is another athlete that came to see me who I now look up to and for advice like Evan. I really hope I can compete with the best someday as it has been a dream of mine since 19 to progress everyday in the sport of bodybuilding. Also I want to thank everyone that has posted on this thread again for so much support and positive feedback. Hope to hear from you guys on any of your opinions/questions you guys have too.

-Chris Slavin

So awesome brotha. Everyone here wishes ya nuthin but the best... Every day gets better than the last.

bigmike08
12-23-13, 11:29 am
Amazing story. Really makes you stop and think for a second on how we stress so so much on things that most people would love to have to worry about. Good luck Chris, from what it sounds like you've already conquered this challenge!

robison2752
12-30-13, 11:36 pm
I'm day late & dollar short - just joined & catching up on events- God bless you - I am just aw struck that you take the time to reach out to a soul in distress. Any update on Surgery success? Looks like a lot of Animal athletes are heavily developed inside as well as outside- most impressed
Phil

Limitless89
08-02-15, 1:29 am
I'm day late & dollar short - just joined & catching up on events- God bless you - I am just aw struck that you take the time to reach out to a soul in distress. Any update on Surgery success? Looks like a lot of Animal athletes are heavily developed inside as well as outside- most impressed
Phil

Hello guys I know its been years since I last posted anything on this site but I've been pretty busy still fighting for my life due to cancer again. For those of you that don't know about 8 months after my heart transplant I received collarbone cancer in my left side which had to be removed. So I now have no collarbone! Anways recently this april 15, 2015 I was again diagnosed with spinal cancer and alittle in my right femur! Anyways guys I just thought I would make this post because I am in desperate need of donations to help fund my medical expenses such as past surgeries, medications such as chemotherapy, ambulance rides, hospital stays etc. A lot of which my insurance did not pay due to my medical condition and how severe it was. If you guys could please help me and my family out I would greatly appreciate it. Below is my website you guys can check out to donate and there is a youtube video where MuscluarDevelopment and Animalpak came to film me in the hospital as I waited nearly 3 months for a new heart transplant. Anyways below are some of my links you guys can check out and any donation of any amount is greatly appreciated! Thanks again guys for reading this and lastly if you could help spread my word that I am fighting spine cancer right now I would greatly appreicate all your kind words and prayers. Thank you again guys Lastly, my updates on lifting have been nonexistent unfortunately due to my lack of motion, and past recoveries of surgeries still. So unfortunately it looks as if I wont be seeing the stage let alone the gym for awhile still :(

-Chris Slavin

Chris's Heart Cancer Surgery Fund by Christopher Slavinson - GoFundMe (http://www.gofundme.com/heartcancer)

youtube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0-4KfPHWvc

blogspot: My Journey Against Heart Cancer (http://theheartcancerexperience.blogspot.com/)