PDA

View Full Version : Is this a solid leg day?

KettleBellFreak
11-27-12, 11:09 pm
I'm still pretty new to the gym, but I'm all for the train insane style. Gotta go hard to get hard. But I read the articles on how leg training should be brutal:

Half mile run
6-8 barbell squat, raise weight after 2nd and 4th set
6-8 leg press, same raise strategy
6-15 seated calf raise, same raise
6-20 standing calf, same raise
6-15 seated leg raise, same raise
6-20 lying leg curl, same raise
6-25 hip abduction in, same raise
6-25 hip abduction out, same raise
Half mile run.

That sound solid or should I change anything, im still skeptical of my training because of my maturity in the sport.

Far Beyond Driven
11-27-12, 11:59 pm
I'm still pretty new to the gym, but I'm all for the train insane style. Gotta go hard to get hard. But I read the articles on how leg training should be brutal:

Half mile run
Half mile run.

That sound solid or should I change anything, im still skeptical of my training because of my maturity in the sport.

Totally solid, but I'd kill the second run. At that point, your glycogen stores are killed, your fast twitch fibers are spent, and you're just going anaerobically. I'd just worry about supplementation, calories, and rest after the gym time. Tom Platz got away with it largely because of freakish genetics. Most can't benefit from the additional run (or bike) at the end.

TigerAce01
11-28-12, 12:41 am
Take calves and put them at the end. Your calves will be mostly spent by the end of your sessions anyway...why not get the most out of your session?

Move the leg curls to the first spot and do them before you squat. This will fill your hamstrings with fluid making you more stable in the hole, as well as lubricate your knees. Also, most people are weak in the hamstrings..by hitting them first you can ensure you lift strong.

Other than that, I only have one other thing...you can have this on paper and it can still be a pussy workout. If you want it to be intense, you must MAKE it happen...

-Ace

RaisingTheBar
11-28-12, 1:11 am
Other than that, I only have one other thing...you can have this on paper and it can still be a pussy workout. If you want it to be intense, you must MAKE it happen...

-Ace

This is what I was gonna say. You don't have to do a lot. It's all about your attitude and focus during each rep. That is a well rounded workout though.

KettleBellFreak
11-28-12, 6:54 am
Take calves and put them at the end. Your calves will be mostly spent by the end of your sessions anyway...why not get the most out of your session?

Move the leg curls to the first spot and do them before you squat. This will fill your hamstrings with fluid making you more stable in the hole, as well as lubricate your knees. Also, most people are weak in the hamstrings..by hitting them first you can ensure you lift strong.

-Ace

Freaking thanks man!solid advice. But no, I like pushing myself hard. It made me waddle out the gym lol

KettleBellFreak
11-28-12, 7:13 am

-Ace

wait, now if you're doing hamstring curls to be more explosive in squats should you try to put the most weight you can on it or just use it as the warm up and get ready with it

Big Wides
11-28-12, 8:28 am

Half mile run
Half mile run.

I'm guessing that the first number is the sets, then the reps? If so, I would make the following changes:

- For the squats, keep progressing with the weight increases with each set, this will allow you to lift more weight overall with a single exercise
- Either do calves or abs during leg day, not both in one day. Allow rest so they can grow, both your calves and abs are taxed on leg day
- I would add one more compound movement into the mix, I like to do 3 compound movements for leg training, with one being a squat
- Drop the running, a good 10 minute treadmill walk will do the trick
- Leg Extensions are good to throw in the mix

I also would not get hung up on the number of reps either, you can grow muscle by doing a rep range from 0 - 100, it all depends on the weight and how your lifting the weights. A good sample workout that would help, since your just starting out (assuming this by the quote of maturity in the sport) would be:

10 minute treadmill warmup (3.5 incline, 3.0 speed)
Squats - 6 sets with weight increases each set
Leg Press - 5 sets with weight increases each set
Power Squat or Hack Squat or Straight Leg DL or Step Ups - 4 sets with weight increases each set
Hamstring Curls - 4 sets with weight increases each set
Leg Extenstions - 4 sets with weight increases each set
Ab Exercise - 5 sets with weight increases each set

TigerAce01
11-28-12, 9:58 am
wait, now if you're doing hamstring curls to be more explosive in squats should you try to put the most weight you can on it or just use it as the warm up and get ready with it

I wouldn't say more explosive, just more stable in the bottom, and it makes your knees feel better while squatting because of the placement of your hamstrings in regard to your ACL and other knee ligaments.

In my experience using this technique, and from seeing others using it, just do the ham curls it in your normal fashion, but don't go to failure. Pump out sets of 8-12 using a weight you can get for 10-15. You should have a nice pump by the end, but you shouldn't be crawling on the floor...save that for your squats and leg press.

-Ace

TigerAce01
11-28-12, 10:03 am
I also would not get hung up on the number of reps either, you can grow muscle by doing a rep range from 0 - 100, it all depends on the weight and how your lifting the weights.

This is also good advice...don't know why I didn't throw that in there. Great point, I think it's important to change up the rep range on occasion if hypertrophy is the goal. I believe that intensity (in regard to the level of difficulty within a set) is the main driving point for muscle growth. Yes, many say 8-12 is the "key" range due to it being within the best weight percentage range...but I know when I do 5 sets of 20 with 50% of my max I can certainly feel it a lot more than 5 sets of 8 with 70% of my max.

-Ace

KettleBellFreak
11-28-12, 11:23 pm
Well I went through your alls advice and tried to write up a plan accordingly:

10 minute light jog
6•12 hamstring curl, one moderate weight
6•8-12 squat raise every set
6•8-10 leg press raise every set
6•8-12 leg raises raise every 2nd
6•8-12 stiff leg DL raise after 3rd
6•20-30 standing calf raises, raise every 2nd
6•20-30 seated calf raises, raise every 2nd
6•20-30 hip abduct raise every set

Fredo95
11-30-12, 3:23 pm
Well I went through your alls advice and tried to write up a plan accordingly:

10 minute light jog
6•12 hamstring curl, one moderate weight
6•8-12 squat raise every set
6•8-10 leg press raise every set
6•8-12 leg raises raise every 2nd
6•8-12 stiff leg DL raise after 3rd
6•20-30 standing calf raises, raise every 2nd
6•20-30 seated calf raises, raise every 2nd

Yup, that's a solid workout. Although, if I were ya I'd add some Leg Extensions on it.

Peace, Fredo.

Solid Dreams
11-30-12, 3:35 pm
Why specifically 6 sets? I feel like you should do as many sets to get the work done.

Agree with Tiger, but I also like to do things so that, if, for instance, I feel like hammies (or calves) need attention, I nail them first.

KettleBellFreak
11-30-12, 3:58 pm
Why specifically 6 sets? I feel like you should do as many sets to get the work done.

Agree with Tiger, but I also like to do things so that, if, for instance, I feel like hammies (or calves) need attention, I nail them first.

Set and rep number is a goal, I find if I put on weight that's straining, it's more of a strain to get to a certain point rather than to get to get a good workout from an exercise. It's like a challenge to get all those reps done. And if you start with a weight that's a mild strain to finish the reps, if you're packing on weight every set then it's going to be a bitch to get all those reps done towards the end.

KettleBellFreak
11-30-12, 3:59 pm
Yup, that's a solid workout. Although, if I were ya I'd add some Leg Extensions on it.

Peace, Fredo.

thats what a seated leg raise is man, I just call it that instead of extension.

But damn you're right i didnt throw those in the second, had em in the first, but forgot about the second. thanks man!

iamthemacattack
12-03-12, 3:48 am
I have been training HIT recently and have had good gains... hit it hard and heavy then go home and rest.