PDA

View Full Version : Questions. Answers. Partying with BOSS... Dan Green

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8

BOSS
01-06-14, 5:06 pm
Hi Dan, I'm just getting back from an injury (glute/hamstring ad hip flexor...), first time I squat since almost 4 months, so this is very light weight, but I would like to come back with a perfect form, not that my old form wasn't good, but if I can get a better one, I take it, I took 3 angles and put it in the same vid, thank you very much ! I have a little trouble around the //, because if I let myself "fall down" to get the rebound in the hole I go ATG while I'm squatting low bar and my butt round and I don't know for my back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqW9Ok_GGZE

Looks good man!

tkon
01-07-14, 6:58 am
Dan, for front squats I'm having a pretty hard time not dropping my elbows. I'm not 100% if it's me not staying upright enough or some kind of tightness in my lats or something. I know you are not that into stretching since you've said you've had flexibility to start and it's easy to keep once you have it, but any ideas on what causes this? Maybe just weak ass shoulders? I OHP pretty well though(relatilvey speaking)

ncvingarbase
01-08-14, 8:24 am
Hello Boss, I saw one of your videos on youtube the other day where you were squatting. You started with what seemed like some wider stance squats with you feet pointed out more which I am assuming is your competition squat stance but when you moved on to your set of pause squats your stance was a bit narrower and your feet a bit more forward. Is there a reason you chose a different stance for the pause squats? Do you do pause squats with your normal squat stance too? How often do you switch up if you do? Thanks for you help on the forums and also the wisdom you have been sharing in your other articles online to help raw lifters.

tkon
01-08-14, 8:38 am
Hello Boss, I saw one of your videos on youtube the other day where you were squatting. You started with what seemed like some wider stance squats with you feet pointed out more which I am assuming is your competition squat stance but when you moved on to your set of pause squats your stance was a bit narrower and your feet a bit more forward. Is there a reason you chose a different stance for the pause squats? Do you do pause squats with your normal squat stance too? How often do you switch up if you do? Thanks for you help on the forums and also the wisdom you have been sharing in your other articles online to help raw lifters.

I believe he's previously he enjoys the high bar for more ROM since he's using them as a builder. He's a big advocate of doing the main movement for skill and using other movements for building muscle and getting more work in.

JaydenJ.Micas
01-11-14, 7:56 pm
I deadlift sumo as well, and I am having some problems with rounding my back right at the start of my pull, I use leg drive, but then as soon as I start my pull, my back rounds and I end up using all back, what am I doing wrong? Haha

The Untamed
01-12-14, 3:55 am
Thank you very much for the answers Dan, really appreciated!

Pugayohana
01-13-14, 8:07 am
Hey Dan, I was wondering whats the benefit you get when hold your breath before you go down to the bar when you deadlift. I swear bro everytime i watch a vid of yours you give me motivation to lift. lol but anyways i tried to copy you and as i went down to the bar and pick it up i swear it felt like my face was going to explode. any tips would help me out. thx Darren

BOSS
01-14-14, 6:05 pm
Hey Dan, I was wondering whats the benefit you get when hold your breath before you go down to the bar when you deadlift. I swear bro everytime i watch a vid of yours you give me motivation to lift. lol but anyways i tried to copy you and as i went down to the bar and pick it up i swear it felt like my face was going to explode. any tips would help me out. thx Darren

The advantage is higher intra-abdominal pressure. It will drastically increase your torso strength but requires very strong abdominal muscles and breathing into your belly to do it right. If you breathe into your chest then the pressure will just go to your head and you'll get that feeling you described. Try doing situps while pressing your hands against your abs hard, keeping your abs braced and pressed back out against your hands' pressure

BOSS
01-14-14, 6:05 pm
Thank you very much for the answers Dan, really appreciated!

No doubt man! Glad to help where I can

BOSS
01-14-14, 6:09 pm
I deadlift sumo as well, and I am having some problems with rounding my back right at the start of my pull, I use leg drive, but then as soon as I start my pull, my back rounds and I end up using all back, what am I doing wrong? Haha

It could be many things... weak abs/torso, pulling back too much and not UP into the bar, not having enough hip strength... My recommendation either way is to do sumo pulls with the weights elevated on 4" tall blocks... Do them for sets of 3-5... The weight you use will really build up torso strength, hip strength and the position that you must start in... in other words it solves all 3 of the problems I'd listed. It will really build up the strength of your starting position on sumos. Try doing them on their own day or, my preference, after pulling 1-2 sets off the floor. Good luck man

BOSS
01-14-14, 6:22 pm

always do the high bar squats closer to take the hip strength out of it... just makes it more about leg drive that way. and no I do not do pauses with the wider stance.

tkon
01-14-14, 7:37 pm
Awesome tips, I have made some blocks just buying 4x6's from home depot and cutting them into 20" length and glueing them together. Hopefully they'll get the job done.

ncvingarbase
01-15-14, 11:32 am
always do the high bar squats closer to take the hip strength out of it... just makes it more about leg drive that way. and no I do not do pauses with the wider stance.

Thanks for the reply Boss, I need to start doing this myself. I never realized what my problem was when using top weights with my squats until I started reading some of your posts. What I had noticed is when I start getting near 95%+ I saw that I ended up almost doing a squat morning because my leg strength wasn't enough so I power through with a good morning at the end to try to correct it. For a while I always thought that pauses were just another lift you should use in your competition squat form just to aid with power out of the hole but now with your advice to use them with a narrower stance to build leg strength/drive that might just be what I need to even out my squat more and help me get on another road to gains. Once again, thanks for sharing your valuable time with us.

JustLift
01-17-14, 4:27 pm
Hi Dan,

you are a big inspartion to me, thank you alot !

I have a question on my routine, maybe you can take a look at it.
Current lifts: Squat 220lbs; Bench 154lbs; Deadlift Sumo 240lbs @ 154lbs bodyweight.
At the moment I am 16yr old and want to compete in powerlifting when I am about 20yr old.

M: Squat 4setsx3-5 reps
Paused Squat Highbar 3x3 (Week 1 50%; Week 2 60% and so on)
Stiff legged Deadlift 5setsx5
Lying legcurls 2x10-20

Tuesday: Millitary Press standing 4setts3-5
DB Bench 3x10-12
Pull Ups w/ extra weight 5x5
Rows 3-5x8-15

W: Frontsquats 3x5; 1setx3
Curls 5x8-12

T: Rest

F: Convential Deadlift 3x5 1setx3
Deficit Deadlift/ Rackpulls Sumo 3x3 (they alternate every workout)
SLDL 5x8-12

Sa: Rest

Su: Paused Bench 3x3
Floor/Incline Bench 3x5
Lateralraises 5x10-15
Biceps 2x10-12

Do you have any sort of critique?
I do feel like these are too many excercise and too many pis**** around?
Is it too much work for Squat and Deads? (Sumopuller and shoulderwidth squatter)

What are your thoughts on 5/3/1 for me as a beginner?

Thanks.

JaydenJ.Micas
01-20-14, 12:35 pm
It could be many things... weak abs/torso, pulling back too much and not UP into the bar, not having enough hip strength... My recommendation either way is to do sumo pulls with the weights elevated on 4" tall blocks... Do them for sets of 3-5... The weight you use will really build up torso strength, hip strength and the position that you must start in... in other words it solves all 3 of the problems I'd listed. It will really build up the strength of your starting position on sumos. Try doing them on their own day or, my preference, after pulling 1-2 sets off the floor. Good luck man

Sounds good! Thanks so much Dan!

BOSS
01-22-14, 1:28 pm
Hi Dan,

you are a big inspartion to me, thank you alot !

I have a question on my routine, maybe you can take a look at it.
Current lifts: Squat 220lbs; Bench 154lbs; Deadlift Sumo 240lbs @ 154lbs bodyweight.
At the moment I am 16yr old and want to compete in powerlifting when I am about 20yr old.

M: Squat 4setsx3-5 reps
Lying legcurls 2x10-20

Tuesday: Millitary Press standing 4setts3-5
DB Bench 3x10-12
Rows 3-5x8-15

Curls 5x8-12

SLDL 5x8-12

Su: Paused Bench 3x3
Floor/Incline Bench 3x5
Lateralraises 5x10-15
Biceps 2x10-12

Do you have any sort of critique?
I do feel like these are too many excercise and too many pis**** around?
Is it too much work for Squat and Deads? (Sumopuller and shoulderwidth squatter)

What are your thoughts on 5/3/1 for me as a beginner?

Thanks.

The program looks ok but I would add more reps with the overhead pressing to build up the shoulders and more benching on a bench not floor/incline. I've never tried 531 but it looks reasonable as long as there is enough volume in the training to actually build muscle

Fry!
01-22-14, 4:40 pm
doesn't want to annoy, but I'll heard often and read often that you training for a competition with a "linear programming" but doesn't really get behind it, because under linear programming i'll understand something like "starting strength", or "stronglift 5x5" or also ed coans peaking programm.
Because how something like this would look? could you give a little insight? thank you. good luck in rum.

Week 1: 6x6 70%
Week 2: 5x5 75%
Week 3: 5x5 80%
Week 4: 4x4 85%
Week 5: 3x3 85%
Week 6: 3x3 90%
Week 7: setting the competiton attempts
Week 9: competition

ncvingarbase
01-23-14, 11:26 am
I forgot where but I read or watched you talking about how you can roughly guess what your max squat will be based on your front squat. What exactly was that again? Thanks Boss!

BOSS
01-24-14, 12:06 pm
Awesome tips, I have made some blocks just buying 4x6's from home depot and cutting them into 20" length and glueing them together. Hopefully they'll get the job done.

Yeah that's what mine are. I also stapled a thin layer of rubber on top and then drilled in 2x3s across the top along the front and back edges for the weights to not roll off and added sturdiness and over-engineering

BOSS
01-24-14, 12:09 pm
doesn't want to annoy, but I'll heard often and read often that you training for a competition with a "linear programming" but doesn't really get behind it, because under linear programming i'll understand something like "starting strength", or "stronglift 5x5" or also ed coans peaking programm.
Because how something like this would look? could you give a little insight? thank you. good luck in rum.

Week 1: 6x6 70%
Week 2: 5x5 75%
Week 3: 5x5 80%
Week 4: 4x4 85%
Week 5: 3x3 85%
Week 6: 3x3 90%
Week 7: setting the competiton attempts
Week 9: competition

Well this is a pretty basic looking program. I never set all the sets and reps and weights out ahead of time though, only the weights. Then I do as many reps and sets as I can within a certain standard of quality. So if it says to hit 4x4 but you could do more then I would... THis also needs to be supported with a productive volume of secondary lifts

Layhoo
01-28-14, 12:54 am
Since you mention partying in your title. How did you party up your newest WR?

I notice you have opted for a goatee style beard. Brandon goes for a fuller lumberjack look. Who has the better beard and why?

How many oreos can you eat in one sitting?

On a training related note how do you approach setting your short and long term goals? What sort of advice on goal setting would you offer a lifter still working on building solid base strength?

Pugayohana
01-28-14, 2:21 am
Hey Dan, that breathing tecnique helped a lot. My head did not feel like its going to explode. But I was wondering what do you think of the sling shot to help with your bench? do you use it and what kind of workouts you do with it. thx Darren

Universal Rep
01-28-14, 2:46 pm
www.youtube.com/watch?v=efl5XRbof_M

tkon
01-28-14, 2:49 pm
So I made my deadlift platform to go under my rack and the damn thing weighed around 600+ lbs. This thing was insanely hard to move, but after using it last night for Dan's first day of programming I have to say it's worth every penny and pound :)

Side note, I haven't low bar'd in 8 months and last night I was having the bar rest on the top of my left scapula. Am I going too low?

xolix
01-29-14, 4:06 pm
hey dan , congrats to your WR !!

you did westside before your current split , have you ever experimented with other programming or ideas ? like full body stuff , or lesser trainingdays for more recovery ? after a hard squatworkout i can't walk 3-5 days and after a deadliftsession i have trouble too . so i figured out for myself , i can bench heavy and/or volume on 2 days , but squat and dl only once a week . i am 35 now and i tried different things in the past , so for example on my deadliftday i do 531 top set all out , like 260 kg for 10 reps , then abs and done , i tried some downsets or good mornings as assistancework and my numbers went down , so if i train intensive , i can't do more volume for better recovery . yeah i am also confused about the big differences between top level raw powerlifters like you , and eric lilliebridge for example . he trains squat heavy once every 2 weeks , you 2 times (+frontsq) in one week . how would you set up a trainingweek for a raw lifter like me with lesser trainingdays than you , like 4 days ?

TvojaRit
01-30-14, 3:25 am
Dan congratulations on the record!! keep breaking them man!
i have a question about deadlift,how often do you pull conventional?do you do any speed work for deadlifts or just deficit and block pulls? and also,who is your favorite deadlifter?
hope to meet you one day,you're big inspiration!
i apologize for my bad english,i'm from Slovenia. cheers!

BOSS
02-01-14, 5:16 pm
So I made my deadlift platform to go under my rack and the damn thing weighed around 600+ lbs. This thing was insanely hard to move, but after using it last night for Dan's first day of programming I have to say it's worth every penny and pound :)

Side note, I haven't low bar'd in 8 months and last night I was having the bar rest on the top of my left scapula. Am I going too low?

Just the left??? anyway low bar is just behind or below the spines of the scapulae. Resting on the rear delts. Both of them lol

BOSS
02-01-14, 5:18 pm
Dan congratulations on the record!! keep breaking them man!
i have a question about deadlift,how often do you pull conventional?do you do any speed work for deadlifts or just deficit and block pulls? and also,who is your favorite deadlifter?
hope to meet you one day,you're big inspiration!
i apologize for my bad english,i'm from Slovenia. cheers!

Thanks man!! Generally in the off-season I pull conventional a lot... no sumos. During comp training I pull conventional every training session after I pull sumo.

BOSS
02-01-14, 5:19 pm
Hey Dan, that breathing tecnique helped a lot. My head did not feel like its going to explode. But I was wondering what do you think of the sling shot to help with your bench? do you use it and what kind of workouts you do with it. thx Darren

Glad that helped. You can use it when you're aching, as a second exercise to overload for reps or sometimes just to max. It works well with a normal grip or close grip, which is how my training partner uses it.

Fry!
02-02-14, 2:11 pm
Well this is a pretty basic looking program. I never set all the sets and reps and weights out ahead of time though, only the weights. Then I do as many reps and sets as I can within a certain standard of quality. So if it says to hit 4x4 but you could do more then I would... THis also needs to be supported with a productive volume of secondary liftsThank you, for the explanation.

But some question about squats/knees, how do you are able to perform the squat with a very flawless form(that's some real asgardian stuff) and a forward knee position/competition stance?
Because for example if there is a lot of squatting, like in sheiko, or smolov - how would you deal with a high squatting(and/or high weight) volume and not get sore/inflamed knees.

For myself, i got a little soreness with 2, 3 times a week(4 weeks) competiton stance squatting.

The Untamed
02-04-14, 11:35 am
Hi Dan!

I looked your bench prep' for the meet from december to the meet, and I noticed that after your sets of paused benching, you apparently often change your assistance exercise (your 2nd exercise), from speed bench to wide to close grip, DB bench aso...

So I was thinking about that, and I would like to ask you a question about it : Do you think that it is "important" to keep your assistance the same and track your progress on it each week, progress each week (and change when you can't add more weight) or that it won't make a difference and change every week or when we want to is also a good idea, for exemple, imagine I do close grip usually after my paused set, but I feel like my chest are a bit "deconditioned" so I replace them by DB flat bench and dips ?

By the way I like doing "speed set" touch and go after my paused set, but I don't really know how to organize a progression on it, because I like to go around the 80% range for those "speed set" like you do apparently, but if I add weight constantly (I could do it off course) in maybe 4 weeks it's not gonna be speed set anymore, or I will have to do single lol, so don't really know how to deal with it, if you have ideas, that would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry don't want to be boring but I have a last question, I love doing linear basic progression program/plan, and start from around 5 reps to a single at the end (add 5 pouds each week, and can last for 2 month or more since I progress very well now) but after that "cycle" when I hit a big single PR, I don't know if I should deload before I go on the next plan or I can immediatly continue on it, well in fact this question bring me to this lol : -Would you recommand to deload and if yes how the deload should look like ?

Sorry to annoy that may sound stupid my english is not perfect. Thank you a lot man hope you will be able to answer to at least one lol! Can't wait to see the 220 no wraps world record fall in 4 days!!

RedlegDbell
02-04-14, 12:27 pm
Hi Dan,
One of the guys in our powerlifting crew strained a muscle in his lower back 4 or maybe 6 weeks ago. He'd like to know if there is anything he can do in the gym for active rehab. He thought maybe light speed pulls but that sounded like a bad idea to me. I'm thinking speed work would be counter-productive. I'm guessing you've dealt with a spinal erector strain at some point. Any suggestions?
Thanks for any help you can give him.

RedlegDbell
02-04-14, 12:52 pm
Hi Dan,
One of the guys in our powerlifting crew strained a muscle in his lower back 4 or maybe 6 weeks ago. He'd like to know if there is anything he can do in the gym for active rehab. He thought maybe light speed pulls but that sounded like a bad idea to me. I'm thinking speed work would be counter-productive. I'm guessing you've dealt with a spinal erector strain at some point. Any suggestions?
Thanks for any help you can give him.

Just to clarify, apparently his doctor diagnosed him as having a "lower back strain" not a specific muscle.

brandon2525
02-04-14, 9:25 pm
I just had one question my last bench cycle i ran for 10 weeks i ended up doing 300 for 4 at the end but now for the lasts two weeks i am so week feeling on bench i can only do like 270 for 4. Should i deload or something i have never deloaded before really value your advice thanks can wait to see you at rum.

tkon
02-05-14, 3:01 pm
Just the left??? anyway low bar is just behind or below the spines of the scapulae. Resting on the rear delts. Both of them lol

Bah, I'm a hunch back don't hate :)

SOMA
02-06-14, 8:05 am
Hey BOSS, recently "discovered" you and your awesomeness LOL Congrats on that WR and keep on the hard work!

Here's my question. I've recently started a powerlifting plan to go with my wrestling training. Which accessory exercices do you consider essential? Y usually train back, legs, chest and repeat for a 6-1 split.

If you need any more info just ask.

Thanks!!

Fry!
02-08-14, 3:13 pm
Congratulation for beeing unbelievable - you're official on the top of the food chain, you're some real animal, just crazy.

Chopsor
02-10-14, 7:50 am
Hi Dan my name is Christopher and i want to be able to compete one day so..

my training Split :

M: squat (3 Sets*5reps) , Paused Squats (closer Stance)(3 Sets*5reps) , leg curls(4sets*10Reps),
leg press(machine)(3 Sets*10reps)

T: Inlince DB Press( 4sets*10Reps), Shoulder press(machine) (4sets*5reps) + (4sets*10Reps) , rear delts (4sets*10Reps)

W: front squats(3 Sets*10reps) , straight leg situps (weight Behind Head) (2-3 sets of 15reps)

TH: triceps/cable(4sets*5reps) , biceps/dumbbell(4sets*5reps),triceps/cabel(4sets*5reps) , biceps/dumbbell(4sets*5reps)
,triceps/dumbbell(Behind Head)(4sets*5reps), biceps/dumbbell(4sets*5reps) // optional pause day

F: Sumo deadlift(4sets*5reps) + 1Max.Rep , pulldowns(4sets*5reps) , rows(4sets*5reps) , stiff leg deads(4sets*8reps)

SA: Paused bench (5 Sets * 5 Reps), Touch and go Benchpress(4sets*5reps) , DB laterals(4Sets*5Reps),

SU: Rest

My Goal : Gain Strength / become stronger
- Weights: Heavy as possible
- I know TH looks a bit strange for Powerlifting but i also Want to have strong Arms
- Warm-up Sets not written down
- I just go a little heavier each Work-out

Maybe not enough deadlifting ?

Please say what you think and where i could put my arm training for better results

maik
02-12-14, 5:14 am
Hi Dan,

would like to hear your opinion about it. Your team-mate Richard Hawthorne talked in a new video on the animal youtube-channel about the deadlift.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQ5rY_beDLY

He says that you don´t want to touch your chins (chins in a straight line, bar in the mid of your feet) while deadlift and that there ist no need to lean back. But I always hear: you have to touch your chins (lifting socks,..). Would like to hear an oppinion of another pro. (for sumo, stiffed, conv.)

Also I would like to know the benefit of lifting shoes. What benefits can I expect from? I can´t find any serious information about the real benefits. Some PL wear them, some not.

Sorry for bad english and greetings all over from germany, Maik

tkon
02-12-14, 9:33 am
Hi Dan,

would like to hear your opinion about it. Your team-mate Richard Hawthorne talked in a new video on the animal youtube-channel about the deadlift.

He says that you don´t want to touch your chins (chins in a straight line, bar in the mid of your feet) while deadlift and that there ist no need to lean back. But I always hear: you have to touch your chins (lifting socks,..). Would like to hear an oppinion of another pro. (for sumo, stiffed, conv.)

Also I would like to know the benefit of lifting shoes. What benefits can I expect from? I can´t find any serious information about the real benefits. Some PL wear them, some not.

The way that you set up a conventional deadlift versus a sumo deadlift is very very different. Shins touching during Sumo is trying to get as close as possible to the bar where as conventional you want it over your mid foot.

Chucky_Newport
02-14-14, 10:41 am
Dan could you link a video where you do Paused Wide-grip bench. Thanks

Chopsor
02-15-14, 8:39 am
ok forget about my last post

i made a new training split better than the last one

training Split :

M: squat (3 Sets*5reps) , Paused Squats(3 Sets*5reps), leg press(machine)(3 Sets*10reps),leg curls(4sets*5Reps),

T: Inlince DB Press( 5sets*10Reps), Shoulder press(machine) (4sets*5reps) + (4sets*10Reps) ,
triceps/cable(4sets*5reps) , triceps/dumbbell (4sets*5reps)

W: front squats(3 Sets*10reps), calves(3sets*5reps), straight leg situps (weight Behind Head) (2-3 sets of 15reps)

TH: Shoulder press(olympic Bar)(4sets*~3reps), rear delts(4sets*10Reps),

F: Sumo deadlift(4sets*5reps), pulldowns(4sets*10reps) , rows(4sets*10reps) , stiff leg deads(2S.*15-20),
biceps curl(4sets*5reps), biceps curl(4sets*5reps)

SA: Paused bench (4Sets*5Reps), Touch and go Benchpress(4sets*5reps) , DB laterals(4Sets*5Reps),

SU: pause day

My Goal : Gain Strength / become stronger
- Weights: Heavy as possible
- little heavier each Work-out

Peteos
02-18-14, 7:59 am
Hi Dan,
I remember reading something about a Boss barbell method ebook that you might be releasing. Is there any truth to this.
And yeah congrats on the WR.

Chopsor
02-19-14, 2:20 pm
are straight leg Sit-ups bad for your body ? i hear this some guys from my gym but i cant belive it

BOSS
02-19-14, 6:41 pm
are straight leg Sit-ups bad for your body ? i hear this some guys from my gym but i cant belive it

Anything is bad for you if you do them poorly lol. These work very well if you keep good form

BOSS
02-19-14, 6:42 pm
Hi Dan,
I remember reading something about a Boss barbell method ebook that you might be releasing. Is there any truth to this.
And yeah congrats on the WR.

In all likelihood there will be a book before too long. Yes

BOSS
02-19-14, 6:59 pm
Hi Dan,

Generally the bar must be over the center of your foot. For sumo because your feet angle out this should be almost touching the bar. For conventional your shins should be close because your knees should bend slightly forward over the bar. If the bar is too far back then you won't be able to use proper leg drive. For stiff legs the bar should be further forward. Still over the mid foot but a small bit further forward

skibasgym
02-20-14, 10:24 am
You have helped change powerlifting in so many positive ways.
You coaching via internet has helped several of my lifters.
Your lean pure muscle powerlifter physique lets lifters know fat is not where its at..
Your power lifting family You and sparkle and baby boss shows one can have a full life outside of lifting...Great job Dan!!!
Henri...SKIBASGYM CARTERET NJ
you all owe it to yourself to see or host a Dan Green seminar
its fun,real and informative

Universal Rep
02-21-14, 1:42 pm
www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5oCZ5XmfXE

Primo
02-21-14, 3:35 pm
Hey Dan.

I got an injury in my knee called chondromalacia patellae (runner's knee). Do you have any tip's og tricks for this.?? I'am going to see a physiotherapist for a program and exercises. I'am also gonna get some acupuncture for it. Hope it works.

I can't squat or deadlift heavy for about 4-12 weeks. It's so sad. This must be, how it feels like that your not allowed to eat meat any more. :D

Chucky_Newport
02-21-14, 6:51 pm
Dan, when you talk about the paused wide-grip BP work you do...How long is your pause at the bottom? competition pause, 1, 2, 3 secs?

Ownster8932
02-22-14, 10:47 am
Hey Dan,

I was wondering, on the DL, it seems that the bar does NOT stay along your shins/thighs throughout the lift (for either sumo or conventional). I always thought the bar was to stay against your shins/thighs throughout the lift in order to maximize your leg power and reduce lower-back strain?

Thanks! Congrats on the WR as well!

maik
02-23-14, 6:49 am
Hey Dan,

I was wondering, on the DL, it seems that the bar does NOT stay along your shins/thighs throughout the lift (for either sumo or conventional). I always thought the bar was to stay against your shins/thighs throughout the lift in order to maximize your leg power and reduce lower-back strain?

Thanks! Congrats on the WR as well!

Look at page 15! I got the same question there and get an answer.

BOSS
02-23-14, 12:05 pm
Dan, when you talk about the paused wide-grip BP work you do...How long is your pause at the bottom? competition pause, 1, 2, 3 secs?

Usually I just pause for 1 sec but as I get close to the end of the set I can pace myself and take longer and longer pauses. but nothing more than 2-3 sec

Chucky_Newport
02-23-14, 12:19 pm
Thanks for the reply

Maccabee
02-23-14, 12:51 pm
Hey Dan,

When I get on a decline bench and do sit ups. On the way down my left hip pops. It doesnt hurt at all. My hips are just fine the next day. Would you know anything about it? How to fix it?

Thanks.

Peteos
02-25-14, 12:29 am
Hey Dan and thanks for the response. You seem to train bench with a lot volume (multiple sets with a certain weight) am i right? Is this the case with deads and squats too or do you just pyramid these two up to a top set?

Pugayohana
02-25-14, 7:01 am
Hey Dan, Got another question if you can help me out. I was just wondering how do i keep my butt on the bench when i start pressing back up. I use a lot of leg drive that sometimes i feel my butt is not touching the bench and don't want to get ding for that on my upcoming meet. thx man

BOSS
02-25-14, 1:31 pm
Hey Dan and thanks for the response. You seem to train bench with a lot volume (multiple sets with a certain weight) am i right? Is this the case with deads and squats too or do you just pyramid these two up to a top set?

For squats I generally just pyramid up, but if I'm further away from a competition there are many repeat sets. Same for front squats. Deads I frequently do repeat sets but also frequently do max rep sets without repeating.

BOSS
02-25-14, 1:34 pm
Hey Dan, Got another question if you can help me out. I was just wondering how do i keep my butt on the bench when i start pressing back up. I use a lot of leg drive that sometimes i feel my butt is not touching the bench and don't want to get ding for that on my upcoming meet. thx man

First, you should focus on pushing yourself along the bench horizontally to put more pressure on the traps. If your feet are under your hips they will tend to push the hips up--off the bench. If they are spread away more or are out front then they can push you along the bench. Secondly, if you tuck your elbows too much and bring the bar too low, you'll tend to sometimes press the weight away from you and not back toward the rack. If you do that... then you will find your butt lifting to tip the weight back over the chest.

BOSS
02-25-14, 1:36 pm
Hey Dan,

When I get on a decline bench and do sit ups. On the way down my left hip pops. It doesnt hurt at all. My hips are just fine the next day. Would you know anything about it? How to fix it?

Thanks.

Stretch out your hip flexors more. That's basically what that is is the hip flexor tendons catching and then popping free. Also while you do them check the alignment of your hips feet and knees. There may be a more favorable setup that does not have that clicking problem

GarageGym
02-25-14, 11:45 pm
Hello Dan,

How Do LaY Out Your Week For Off Season Programming?

BOSS
02-26-14, 9:38 pm
Hello Dan,

How Do LaY Out Your Week For Off Season Programming?

just very loosely. I'd squat in an olympic style either front and/or back squats most every day plus whatever else... It's never the same as they are always spread very far apart... like once per year. So my goals and assessed weak areas are naturally always different

asnook1953
02-27-14, 7:25 pm
Dan,

Question regarding knee wraps. I am looking to purchase a pair, but am kinda stuck between three pair. What are your thoughts and opinions on these. BTW….I am a fairly quick squatter…my decent is pretty rapid when compared to some who descend very slowly.

Strangulators
Mark Bell Lillibridge Wraps (Red)
Titan Gold Standard

Also, I have one other question regarding squat training. There for awhile I was typically squatting one to two times per week, but I have since changed my programming to include many more sets with no more than 5 reps per set. My percentages are no more than 85% of 1RM during the first 2-3 weeks, with an increase in % after that. Anyway, I have found that with an increase in the sets and an increase in my days per week (moved to three) I am developing pretty significant joint pain in both knees. So I guess my question is this….am I squatting too much?? Its not unusual for me to start somewhere around the 50% range at five reps and work to the 85%-90% range for doubles, and I often times do multiple sets at each weight before increasing. I may end up doing 15-20 sets on my primary exercise alone, and then move to another squat variation for another 6-8 sets with lower % speed work.

I have been really trying to improve my training through a more scientific approach. However, with some of the research I've done, and the shift in programming, I have def noticed a toll on my knees. Nothing pisses me off more than having annoying pain in my legs that prevents me from getting a solid lift in.

Do you have any advice for me? Is my programming/sets/reps crazy and absurd, or am I generally on the right track. Do I need to back off to two days on squat, or back off the sets? How do you program your squat training to prevent a toll on your body?

BTW…congratulations on your world records at RUM 7, and good luck this weekend in the CAGE!

Thanks for any advice,

Adam Snook

BOSS
03-04-14, 3:29 am
Dan,

Question regarding knee wraps. I am looking to purchase a pair, but am kinda stuck between three pair. What are your thoughts and opinions on these. BTW….I am a fairly quick squatter…my decent is pretty rapid when compared to some who descend very slowly.

Strangulators
Mark Bell Lillibridge Wraps (Red)
Titan Gold Standard

Also, I have one other question regarding squat training. There for awhile I was typically squatting one to two times per week, but I have since changed my programming to include many more sets with no more than 5 reps per set. My percentages are no more than 85% of 1RM during the first 2-3 weeks, with an increase in % after that. Anyway, I have found that with an increase in the sets and an increase in my days per week (moved to three) I am developing pretty significant joint pain in both knees. So I guess my question is this….am I squatting too much?? Its not unusual for me to start somewhere around the 50% range at five reps and work to the 85%-90% range for doubles, and I often times do multiple sets at each weight before increasing. I may end up doing 15-20 sets on my primary exercise alone, and then move to another squat variation for another 6-8 sets with lower % speed work.

I have been really trying to improve my training through a more scientific approach. However, with some of the research I've done, and the shift in programming, I have def noticed a toll on my knees. Nothing pisses me off more than having annoying pain in my legs that prevents me from getting a solid lift in.

Do you have any advice for me? Is my programming/sets/reps crazy and absurd, or am I generally on the right track. Do I need to back off to two days on squat, or back off the sets? How do you program your squat training to prevent a toll on your body?

BTW…congratulations on your world records at RUM 7, and good luck this weekend in the CAGE!

Thanks for any advice,

Adam Snook

First off I'd highly recommend the Titan Gold knee wraps. They're awesome and will both perform at the highest level as well as continue to do so without breaking down. The strangulators are very high quality but are better if you squat slowly as they barely stretch. The quality is very high as well, but I think they have limited availability. The slingshot wraps I found to be less stretchy than the Titan Gold's but not as stiff as the Strangulators. I personally didn't like the feel of these as they are a little thicker and I couldn't get as many revolutions with them. With 2.5m Titan Golds I can get 10-11 revolutions wrapping myself. Only 7-8 with the others

As for squatting knee pain is a good indicator that you're overdoing it, yes. I'd probably first back off on some of the volume in the warmup weights. To me that's pointless. I'd focus on your top sets and do the reps there only. Whether that's 2 days each week or 3 is up to you. There's no right/wrong answer. I personally squat Monday and Wednesday and deadlift on fridays

The Untamed
03-04-14, 12:03 pm
Hi Dan,

I have a question about sumo dead from blocks, coming back from an injury I've decided to run a 6 weeks cycle on it before doing dead from the ground (hamstring injury so it doesn't stretch it too much and my adductors too).
So I was thinking (maybe over thinking...) about the form, do you think it's better to do these mimicking the traditionnal sumo from the ground or is it better to lift with the butt higher to mimic the position we would be at this height doing a sumo from the ground ? (I hope i'm clear sorry i'm from europe, I mean the starting position ?)

And also, what rep range is the more appropriate for these ? because I would like to begin the cycle around 4/5 reps to finish very heavy and low reps but maybe going that high his really not appropriate for this lift ?
Thank you Dan, really appreciating what you and Animal do for this sport !

Major I
03-05-14, 3:09 pm
Hi Dan, first off congratulations on your recent PRs and world records at RUM. Its been great seeing you lift and learning from you; I'm a big fan of your approach to training.

After my next meet in a couple of weeks time, I'm going to add in a dedicated front squat day and try to build up my legs. I wondered if you do any accessory work on your front squat days, for your legs, or in general? And if you have any other advice for building up the legs, I'm all ears.

Much appreciated
Max

BOSS
03-05-14, 3:09 pm
Hi Dan,

I have a question about sumo dead from blocks, coming back from an injury I've decided to run a 6 weeks cycle on it before doing dead from the ground (hamstring injury so it doesn't stretch it too much and my adductors too).
So I was thinking (maybe over thinking...) about the form, do you think it's better to do these mimicking the traditionnal sumo from the ground or is it better to lift with the butt higher to mimic the position we would be at this height doing a sumo from the ground ? (I hope i'm clear sorry i'm from europe, I mean the starting position ?)

And also, what rep range is the more appropriate for these ? because I would like to begin the cycle around 4/5 reps to finish very heavy and low reps but maybe going that high his really not appropriate for this lift ?
Thank you Dan, really appreciating what you and Animal do for this sport !

I'd practice dropping the hips to use as much hip and quad strength as possible on these. Don't pull with the hips high. Focus on 3-5 reps per set. You can max but do it sparingly. It's easy, not terribly productive and very stressful.

Firefist
03-05-14, 3:46 pm
Hey Dan, thanks for taking the time to talk about programming. Like I said, if spots ever open up, please take my money haha.

In the meantime, I ransacked all 30+ pages of your log and Q&A for splits and ideas. Time to go to the next level.

JustLift
03-07-14, 2:33 pm
Hi Dan,

which rep range would you suggest to build muscle as a beginner?
For example for isolation exercises (lateral raises, millitary press, Facepulls, Rows, Chin Ups)?
Also, how would you do bent over rows? Smth like Yates Rows or would you crap the bar from the bottom and do pendlay rows with deadstop?

Thanks.

pbclax1
03-08-14, 10:46 pm
Dan,

What are your thoughts on losing the integrity of the mid/upper back a bit on sumo pulls? Low back stays pretty locked in but the mid to upper back loses tightness some.

BOSS
03-09-14, 12:09 pm
Dan,

What are your thoughts on losing the integrity of the mid/upper back a bit on sumo pulls? Low back stays pretty locked in but the mid to upper back loses tightness some.

You'll want to have a very well developed mid-upper back so that you can allow it to give a little while you pull to create leverage. As you said the low back shouldn't lose tightness but the upper back from doing rows and sumo block pulls really heavy should get where it's very strong at pulling from a slightly rounded position and overcoming it to lockout

JustLift
03-10-14, 8:33 am
Hi Dan,

which rep range would you suggest to build muscle as a beginner?
For example for isolation exercises (lateral raises, millitary press, Facepulls, Rows, Chin Ups)?
Also, how would you do bent over rows? Smth like Yates Rows or would you crap the bar from the bottom and do pendlay rows with deadstop?

Thanks.

#Last site

BOSS
03-11-14, 10:08 am
#Last site

I've never liked pendlay rows always just bent over with a pinkies just inside rings grip (thumbless) and rowed to my stomach in a strict fashion while lowering to either touch the ground or just near the ground. As for those isolation exercises I'd always do 3-4 sets of 12-20 reps on those. Face pulls probably higher but those aren't really all that amazing to me

The Untamed
03-11-14, 12:31 pm
I'd practice dropping the hips to use as much hip and quad strength as possible on these. Don't pull with the hips high. Focus on 3-5 reps per set. You can max but do it sparingly. It's easy, not terribly productive and very stressful.

Thank you so much for your answer, awesome !!

JBaron
03-11-14, 9:01 pm
Hey Dan,

I know you run your own gym, BBBC, and I was wondering what advice you would give to a young lifter who decided they want to open a powerlifting type gym in the future?

Thanks!

nickstrm
03-12-14, 3:08 am
Hi Dan,

I recently started with powerlifting, and I am training on Brandon Lilly's 365Strong Own the Day training system, and it is awesome.
I just want to know a bit more on squat form and technique?
I am a big fan of yours as well! Maybe one day I can lift beside you!!!

All the best for 2014
Nick

dangzr1
03-12-14, 5:38 pm
What do you think about the "animal rage" pre-workout? suggestion?

The Untamed
03-14-14, 1:54 pm
Hi Dan! I have a question about weightlifting shoes for squatting, I'm hesitating between two models, the adidas power perfect II and the "pendlay 2013 weightlifting shoes". I belive you have tried both, so if you could help me to to choose, that would be awesome. I believe the adidas have higher heel but the support/stability seems better with the pendlay, and I don't really know if it would be better for me to squat with high heels or moderate... thanks a lot !
(Actually I squat with a cheap french model but they teared..)

BOSS
03-21-14, 11:14 am
Hi Dan! I have a question about weightlifting shoes for squatting, I'm hesitating between two models, the adidas power perfect II and the "pendlay 2013 weightlifting shoes". I belive you have tried both, so if you could help me to to choose, that would be awesome. I believe the adidas have higher heel but the support/stability seems better with the pendlay, and I don't really know if it would be better for me to squat with high heels or moderate... thanks a lot !
(Actually I squat with a cheap french model but they teared..)

I like the support of the pendlays better. I have very flat feet and I prefer the pendlays as they make me feel like I have an arch and are totally solid under my entire foot whereas the power perfect 2s always felt like my instep just kinda hung there.

BOSS
03-21-14, 11:15 am
What do you think about the "animal rage" pre-workout? suggestion?

Yeah one of my favorite animal products. I like to take about 2.5 scoops at a time or mix the flavors.

BOSS
03-21-14, 11:16 am
Hi Dan,

I recently started with powerlifting, and I am training on Brandon Lilly's 365Strong Own the Day training system, and it is awesome.
I just want to know a bit more on squat form and technique?
I am a big fan of yours as well! Maybe one day I can lift beside you!!!

All the best for 2014
Nick

Did you have a specific technique question? I have no idea what's in the 365 program or if there's a specific technique that your supposed to use

G Diesel
03-21-14, 11:19 am
I like to take about 2.5 scoops at a time or mix the flavors.

Mixing flavors, that shit is boss. I dig it.

Peace, G

JamesMaher
03-23-14, 12:51 pm
Hi Dan, Back in December i posted a couple of squat form check videos on this thread. I've been working on improving my technique/depth using lighter weights as well as adding pause squats (high bar/closer stance) to strengthen my legs like you suggested. I'm definitely feeling stronger but i'm not sure if my technique/depth have taken a step in the right direction. This is one of the original videos i posted http://youtu.be/IM2dUYVbuFY and this is some footage from last Friday's session http://youtu.be/CDF56HjqnqM. Any tips/advice you can give me would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

JacknCoke
03-23-14, 10:05 pm
Hey Dan, would you change anything to the routine below? Add or drop anything?
The point of 4 full body workouts a week is to train everything fresh and while it doesn't leave much room for accessory work i include the basics to also pay attention to the small muscle groups. It also does't leave me as sore and tired and that seems to be a plus since i plan to try mma training on top of this. I thought of adding high bar paused squats on day 1 while only doing 2 top sets on low bar squats because sometimes it seems impossible to get the reps on the 3rd and 4th set and instead of increasing the weight i try to increase the reps on the last sets. I don't know what would be more beneficial or productive though. Same thing with the deadlifts on day 6. On upper body lifts 4 top sets doesn t seem too draining though and i usually get all the sets. Any suggestions? Also any deadlift variations similar to what is the high bar pause squat to the pl squat? Thanks!

Day 1
low bar squat: cycle
Paused bench: cycle
wide grip paused bench: 3 x 6-10
Bb Row: 4 x 15
Biceps

Day 2
OH Press: cycle
Snatch grip oh press: 3 sets light
Deficit sldl: cycle
Snatch grip high pulls: 5 x 8
shrugs 3 x 15-40
Triceps: 5 x 15
Russian twists/ weighted abs: 3 x 25

Day 3
Conditioning

Day 4
Wide grip paused bench: 3 x 6-10
Front squat: cycle
Biceps

Day 5
Conditioning

Day 6
Deadlift: cycle
Snatch grip oh press: cycle
Oh press: light
Shrugs 3 x 15-40
Forearms & rear delts & calves: 3 x 30

Day 7
Conditioning

Cycle
4 x 10
4 x 8
3 x 5 1x 10
3 x 3 1 x 8
2 x 2 2 x 8
Max

nickstrm
03-24-14, 2:54 am
Did you have a specific technique question? I have no idea what's in the 365 program or if there's a specific technique that your supposed to use

If you say squat to depth, what do you mean by that?

BOSS
03-24-14, 1:03 pm
Hi Dan, Back in December i posted a couple of squat form check videos on this thread. I've been working on improving my technique/depth using lighter weights as well as adding pause squats (high bar/closer stance) to strengthen my legs like you suggested. I'm definitely feeling stronger but i'm not sure if my technique/depth have taken a step in the right direction. This is one of the original videos i posted http://youtu.be/IM2dUYVbuFY and this is some footage from last Friday's session http://youtu.be/CDF56HjqnqM. Any tips/advice you can give me would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I'd say your form there is pretty solid. Pretty good balance and equal loading of the legs, hips and back. Not much to change

The Untamed
03-24-14, 2:06 pm
I like the support of the pendlays better. I have very flat feet and I prefer the pendlays as they make me feel like I have an arch and are totally solid under my entire foot whereas the power perfect 2s always felt like my instep just kinda hung there.

Thanks a lot once again! I will definitly get these.

Oh and sorry don't want to harass you with my questions lol, but I have a problem on my squat with the "butt wink"/rounded lower back (really low in the back), I'm just coming off a period where I was just front squatting due to an injury, and I decided to run 2 weeks beltless, and it made the problem even worse.
So I know that I need to stretch my posterior chain a lot, I think that I know what stretching movements I should do, but I can't see the technique issue, and I know you're a technique master and I know you said that butt wink is often times caused by a technique issue, but I have trouble seeing it, I don't know if you have general advice on the technique to avoid the butt wink ?
I filmed my squat this morning, but from this angle we can't see that much, tell me if it is really a bad angle to see I will shoot another video from the side next week if it doesn't bother. (next week I put the belt on) I had a pretty bad pain in my lower back (I would say the sacrum area) after this set, I really tought I just fucked up my back whereas I'm only 17, so that's why I request your help, that would be amazing, thanks Dan.
the video : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqZX7wgcUnY

It's seems that my upper back can stay pretty solid but really low in my back, like the sacrum/pelvis area it's kinda messed up..

JamesMaher
03-28-14, 10:21 am
I'd say your form there is pretty solid. Pretty good balance and equal loading of the legs, hips and back. Not much to change

I decided to throw on a belt today and work up to some heavier singles. Here is a single at 160kg: http://youtu.be/Dowc0DF4vmA. The unrack was a bit sketchy and i hit the rack on the walk out. After that i felt confident enough to attempt 180kg for a single. The lift was successful. It actually felt easier than the previous weight. Unfortunately the file was corrupt and i lost the footage. I'm tempted to go for it again next squat session just for the sake of having it on video and not just a scribble in my training log.

Can you see any form breakdown at this heavier weight in comparison to the last video i posted?

JustLift
03-28-14, 5:23 pm
Dan, what would be your weightgaining suggestion for a beginner with 165lbs, 20% bf and 17yr old.
I am kind of skinny and used to be fat at 220lbs with 40%? bf.

I am at the moment at 2500 calories. Should I increase them or not?
I gain around 2-4lbs per month.

msharaf7
03-30-14, 4:51 pm
Hey Dan. I'm a big fan of you and your lifting. I have question for you about recovery.

I have narcolepsy and I also compete in powerlifting. Narcolepsy is a disease where I never get enough deep sleep and I am chronically sleep deprived. I get frequent insomnia and am tired every day. I won't get into too much detail, but I have a very hard time recovering from my training sessions and my progress is oftentimes very slow and plagued with injury.

Is there anything you can recommend I do in terms of recovery, fatigue management, and programming?

Thank you

maik
03-31-14, 9:44 am
Dan,

which knee sleves would you recommend? I saw you own them both. The blue Rehband and in your new video 635x10 the Titan. The Titans here in germany are 30$ cheaper.

I´m not a competetive. Greetings all over from ger.

BOSS
04-02-14, 11:16 am
Dan,

which knee sleves would you recommend? I saw you own them both. The blue Rehband and in your new video 635x10 the Titan. The Titans here in germany are 30$ cheaper.

I´m not a competetive. Greetings all over from ger.

Yes the Titan sleeves are very good quality. I'd recommend those plus there are several colors

BOSS
04-02-14, 11:23 am
Hey Dan. I'm a big fan of you and your lifting. I have question for you about recovery.

I have narcolepsy and I also compete in powerlifting. Narcolepsy is a disease where I never get enough deep sleep and I am chronically sleep deprived. I get frequent insomnia and am tired every day. I won't get into too much detail, but I have a very hard time recovering from my training sessions and my progress is oftentimes very slow and plagued with injury.

Is there anything you can recommend I do in terms of recovery, fatigue management, and programming?

Thank you

Hey man, I gotta say I don't really know what to recommend. I've had bouts in life where due to my wife's pregnancy, having a new born, and planning some major personal events and running a business I have run on 3 hours of sleep for full months and still managed to train by focusing on the main lifts and minimizing my accessory lifting. The better your technique the more effective this is as well. In fact I always train the basics when I'm fatigued or hurt and only do more when I feel strong

BOSS
04-02-14, 11:25 am
If you say squat to depth, what do you mean by that?

Squat below parallel

BOSS
04-02-14, 11:32 am
Dan, what would be your weightgaining suggestion for a beginner with 165lbs, 20% bf and 17yr old.
I am kind of skinny and used to be fat at 220lbs with 40%? bf.

I am at the moment at 2500 calories. Should I increase them or not?
I gain around 2-4lbs per month.

You know I don't really even know what 2500 calories looks like. I would just focus on getting stronger and training a lot. Then take in a lot of quality protein from lean meats. Minimize the junk you eat and you should be fine. The training will dictate muscle building not an over-abundance of calories. But over eating and sloppy eating will make body fat come right back

jy_21
04-02-14, 10:00 pm
Dan, you are a huge inspiration to me and after doing a more bodybuilder type training style you have definitely inspired me to go back to focusing on the big three. I know you said you used to do a lot of power cleans. For me personally nothing else builds my traps/back better than powercleans and i love using them in my programming. My bench is definitely my weakest lift and my tris and shoulders are lagging behind so these are something i would like to focus on. How would you implement power cleans into this split that you laid out earlier in this thread?

mon- squats
tues- OHP
wed- front squats
thurs- triceps/cg bench
fri- deadlift
sat- rest
sun- bench

BOSS
04-03-14, 3:22 pm
Dan, you are a huge inspiration to me and after doing a more bodybuilder type training style you have definitely inspired me to go back to focusing on the big three. I know you said you used to do a lot of power cleans. For me personally nothing else builds my traps/back better than powercleans and i love using them in my programming. My bench is definitely my weakest lift and my tris and shoulders are lagging behind so these are something i would like to focus on. How would you implement power cleans into this split that you laid out earlier in this thread?

mon- squats
tues- OHP
wed- front squats
thurs- triceps/cg bench
fri- deadlift
sat- rest
sun- bench

You can do them in one of three ways:
1. after squats on monday you can hit power cleans
2. before overhead press or after front squats you can do HANG power cleans
3. as a "deload" you can replace a deadlift workout with cleans. Either once in a while or every second or third week

nickstrm
04-04-14, 4:23 am
Squat below parallel

Hi Dan,

Thank you very much!!

JustLift
04-07-14, 11:24 am
You know I don't really even know what 2500 calories looks like. I would just focus on getting stronger and training a lot. Then take in a lot of quality protein from lean meats. Minimize the junk you eat and you should be fine. The training will dictate muscle building not an over-abundance of calories. But over eating and sloppy eating will make body fat come right back

My nutrition at the moment:
Morning 6 a.m:
100g Oats
300ml Milk
30g Whey Protein

Snack 9 a.m.
2 whole bread pices
100g Chicken

Snack 11 a.m.
2 whole bread pices
100g chicken

Lunch 2 p.m.
200g Chicken or 120g red meat
200g rice

Training 4 p.m.
Post-Workout
30g Whey Protein

Lunch 6 p.m.
100-500g vegatables
100g Chicken
sometimes a little bit rice or some fruits if I am still hungry

Training

M: Squat 4setsx3-5 reps*
Lying legcurls 2x10-20

Tuesday: Millitary Press standing 4sets5-8reps
Bench paused 3x5-8reps
Rows 3-5x8-15

Curls 5x8-12

SLDL 5x8-12
DB Rows 2x12-20

Su: Paused Bench 3x5
Widegrip bench 3-4 sets 8reps
Lateralraises 5x10-15
Biceps 2x10-12

Also, I have a question about sumo blockpulls. I really like them, but if I get into the starting position with my butt low enough, my butt shoots right up if I start pulling. Same problem on my sumo pulls.
I don´t think I drop my hips too low, it looks kind of sumo stiff legged pulls, because my hips shoot up.
It is the same problem on my squats, out of the hole, I just round over with my back und it looks like a good morning.

slicer
04-07-14, 8:30 pm
Dan you are the reason why I have taken a liking to Powerlifting. I know it was just stereotype but before I was always under the impression that to be a Powerlifter you had to be a big bellied ( which I am working to get rid of mine LOL ) dude that ate whatever he could find. After watching countless videos and reading lots of articles of your and Brandon Lilly's I am convinced that strength training is a must for me. I have really become addicted to lifting that heavy ass weight LOL. I have tons of questions for you but will just start with one. I have only recently started working out. Will something like 5/3/1 be a good routine for me? I am hoping to get some hypertrophy work in as well. Currently due to family and work I am only able to work out 4 days a week starting at 5am before I go to work. Any advice that you could give me would be awesome.

BOSS
04-08-14, 2:14 am
Dan you are the reason why I have taken a liking to Powerlifting. I know it was just stereotype but before I was always under the impression that to be a Powerlifter you had to be a big bellied ( which I am working to get rid of mine LOL ) dude that ate whatever he could find. After watching countless videos and reading lots of articles of your and Brandon Lilly's I am convinced that strength training is a must for me. I have really become addicted to lifting that heavy ass weight LOL. I have tons of questions for you but will just start with one. I have only recently started working out. Will something like 5/3/1 be a good routine for me? I am hoping to get some hypertrophy work in as well. Currently due to family and work I am only able to work out 4 days a week starting at 5am before I go to work. Any advice that you could give me would be awesome.

Thank you for saying that! That's very nice. As for training with 531 I think that should work great for you, especially if you focus on some hypertrophy training. This is to say that if you follow the main 531 lifts with a high volume of rack/block pulls, deficit deads, high bar squats, front squats and paused wide grip benching and high rep shoulder pressing... That will build the most strength AND size!

slicer
04-08-14, 9:11 am
Thank you for saying that! That's very nice. As for training with 531 I think that should work great for you, especially if you focus on some hypertrophy training. This is to say that if you follow the main 531 lifts with a high volume of rack/block pulls, deficit deads, high bar squats, front squats and paused wide grip benching and high rep shoulder pressing... That will build the most strength AND size!

Thank you kindly for your reply and advice. After looking at your advice I thought it sounded alot like the Cube Kingpin. I had read The Cube and 365 Strong but I didn't think that would work for a beginner. I started today on that routine. I do have another question now though if you don't mind. My gym does not have any blocks for the block pulls. This morning I used 2x 45lbs plates stacked on top of eachother for the block pulls and deficit deads. Is that enough height or do I need to try something else? Also, do you think that getting into a Steam Room or hot tub following a workout would be beneficial at all? Thanks again for your advice

Roope
04-08-14, 11:53 am
I was just wandering what are your thoughts on whole body workouts? For example:

Squat 5x5

Bench 5x5

deadlift 5x5

and do these lifts Monday, Wednesday, friday.

What kind of results would i get in terms of strength?

BOSS
04-08-14, 2:35 pm
Thank you kindly for your reply and advice. After looking at your advice I thought it sounded alot like the Cube Kingpin. I had read The Cube and 365 Strong but I didn't think that would work for a beginner. I started today on that routine. I do have another question now though if you don't mind. My gym does not have any blocks for the block pulls. This morning I used 2x 45lbs plates stacked on top of eachother for the block pulls and deficit deads. Is that enough height or do I need to try something else? Also, do you think that getting into a Steam Room or hot tub following a workout would be beneficial at all? Thanks again for your advice

Steam room definitely not. I would focus on getting in a kitchen and eating! The block pulls sound high enough. I can't really say much about the Cube Kingpin program as I'm not familiar with it as well as 365 strong. I pretty much just follow my own training program, but what I suggested was basically what I'd add to the big 4 in the 531 program.

BOSS
04-08-14, 2:38 pm
I was just wandering what are your thoughts on whole body workouts? For example:

Squat 5x5

Bench 5x5

deadlift 5x5

and do these lifts Monday, Wednesday, friday.

What kind of results would i get in terms of strength?

That sounds a bit uninspiring. You'll make some progress at first, but not sure for how long. This program leaves a lot to be desired. Most beginning and intermediate lifters don't have good enough technique to continually progress with just the basic lifts.

Maccabee
04-08-14, 7:29 pm
BOSS,

I have bicep tendinitis in my left shoulder.

I use the ssb bar and buffal bar for squats.

I am doing 100 rep sets of curls and front raises to flush the area with blood.

Do you have any other suggestions.

Thanks.

BOSS
04-10-14, 9:58 am
BOSS,

I have bicep tendinitis in my left shoulder.

I use the ssb bar and buffal bar for squats.

I am doing 100 rep sets of curls and front raises to flush the area with blood.

Do you have any other suggestions.

Thanks.

The most important thing will just be proper posture and scapular retraction when you rack a squat and when you bench. Everything else is just a band aid for the pain

Maccabee
04-10-14, 8:06 pm
The most important thing will just be proper posture and scapular retraction when you rack a squat and when you bench. Everything else is just a band aid for the pain

If I understand you correctly then as long as I have proper posture and scapular retraction it would be okay for me to still train while at the same time managing the pain?

BOSS
04-10-14, 8:46 pm
If I understand you correctly then as long as I have proper posture and scapular retraction it would be okay for me to still train while at the same time managing the pain?

THat's up to you. The tricky thing with a lot of injuries is that when they're inflamed it'll hurt to do the exercises right or wrong. So It's hard to say, but you just gotta manage your own pain.

NorthStrong
04-13-14, 1:18 am
What's up BOSS?

Just a couple fairly general questions for you.

What are your thoughts on autoregulation training ala Mike T / RTS?

Also wondering what the highest reps you'll hit for a competition lift is.

Thanks, and just wanted to let you know you're a huge inspiration to me Dan, hope everything is going well!

BOSS
04-21-14, 4:18 pm
What's up BOSS?

Just a couple fairly general questions for you.

What are your thoughts on autoregulation training ala Mike T / RTS?

Also wondering what the highest reps you'll hit for a competition lift is.

Thanks, and just wanted to let you know you're a huge inspiration to me Dan, hope everything is going well!

Yeah his program has a pretty similar approach in terms of autoregulation. His is based on the RPE which is objective if adhered to properly or subjective if the athlete isn't really realistic with it lol. I basically control volume with objective parameters for autoregulation like determining the number of sets by continuing until you can no longer repeat a set. Start with a range of say 2-4 sets and if the athlete cannot replicate the starting reps on any of the sets then he's done. pretty straightforward. Hit set 1 for 5 reps and set 2 for 5 then go on to set 3. if that's also 5 then go on to set 4 or if it was only 4 reps then you're done. next exercise. usually I don't train over 5 reps.

NorthStrong
04-22-14, 3:32 pm
Yeah his program has a pretty similar approach in terms of autoregulation. His is based on the RPE which is objective if adhered to properly or subjective if the athlete isn't really realistic with it lol. I basically control volume with objective parameters for autoregulation like determining the number of sets by continuing until you can no longer repeat a set. Start with a range of say 2-4 sets and if the athlete cannot replicate the starting reps on any of the sets then he's done. pretty straightforward. Hit set 1 for 5 reps and set 2 for 5 then go on to set 3. if that's also 5 then go on to set 4 or if it was only 4 reps then you're done. next exercise. usually I don't train over 5 reps.

Thanks a lot Dan. Appreciate the response. I'm trying hard to get my hair game on your level.

Universal Rep
04-23-14, 11:30 am
BOSS

www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsoyYwGiqCk

BOSS
04-23-14, 7:27 pm
Thanks a lot Dan. Appreciate the response. I'm trying hard to get my hair game on your level.

Just let it go. No hair cuts for a couple years is all

Roope
04-27-14, 9:04 am
Hi dan, i like to deadlift more than anything but one and a half weeks a go i sprained my lower back and it has recovered to the point where i can deadlift again. My question is how can i prevent this from happening? This was my second lower back injury i lift mostly sumo but other variations are fine as well.

BOSS
04-27-14, 12:06 pm
Hi dan, i like to deadlift more than anything but one and a half weeks a go i sprained my lower back and it has recovered to the point where i can deadlift again. My question is how can i prevent this from happening? This was my second lower back injury i lift mostly sumo but other variations are fine as well.

There are a lot of things to do to avoid this:

1. switch to collecting stamps...

ok just kidding but seriously powerlifting isn't for everyone

1. learn proper technique. You likely sprained your lower back by letting it round. THe ligaments are heavily overloaded when you combine loads with flexion and/or rotation
so you need to bend at the waist by flexing your hips. Your upper back may round but not your lower

2. build up a base: lots of stiff leg deads should help to build a base of low back strength and stronger hamstrings. If you can't do these without rounding then learn the romanian deadlift first

3. work hard but more importantly work smart! Whenever you fail a deadlift you risk injury. AND whenever you get CLOSE to failing your technique is going to be bad and then you also risk injury while reinforcing bad and dangerous technique. Do multiple sets short of failure to achieve the total volume in your workout.

Anta
04-28-14, 6:22 pm
There are a lot of things to do to avoid this:

1. switch to collecting stamps...

ok just kidding but seriously powerlifting isn't for everyone

1. learn proper technique. You likely sprained your lower back by letting it round. THe ligaments are heavily overloaded when you combine loads with flexion and/or rotation
so you need to bend at the waist by flexing your hips. Your upper back may round but not your lower

2. build up a base: lots of stiff leg deads should help to build a base of low back strength and stronger hamstrings. If you can't do these without rounding then learn the romanian deadlift first

3. work hard but more importantly work smart! Whenever you fail a deadlift you risk injury. AND whenever you get CLOSE to failing your technique is going to be bad and then you also risk injury while reinforcing bad and dangerous technique. Do multiple sets short of failure to achieve the total volume in your workout.

Hey Dan, greetings from Serbia,

I wanted to ask about progression and plateus, because I've been struggling with that for some time now, but I found the answer here. Today I tested my deadlift max and when I hit the highest weight I could with proper form, I stopped, even though I could have probably squeeze another 10-15lbs with bad form. So I'll base my program on that technical max, not my all-out snap-city max. Makes for a smoother (and safer) progression. Thanks a lot for all the advices you share here, they're gold!

I do have some more questions though:
1. I seem to have weak spinal erectors, because I can lift a lot more on deadlifts with upper back rounding than I can do on squats (where I can't round my back). What do you recommend for fixing that? I'd like to bring my squat up.
2. I think that one of the most important aspects for a long and progressive lifting... um whatever (life, career? lol) is that you stay as much injury free as you can.
So I was wondering what are you doing (or used to do, or wish you did) for recovery (this is just for curiosity, I know that the things you do at the elite level are different from intermediates like me), and what do you recommend (injury prevention, faster recovery etc.) when it comes to that?

Thanks man, you're an inspiration!

P.S. I'm starting the Cube Boss/Kingpin program (hence the deadlift test). I know that you're not affiliated with that, but I think it has a lot of similarities to your BBSM program (I studied some YouTube videos), so I'll stick to it until it stops working.

BOSS
04-28-14, 11:11 pm
Hey Dan, greetings from Serbia,

I wanted to ask about progression and plateus, because I've been struggling with that for some time now, but I found the answer here. Today I tested my deadlift max and when I hit the highest weight I could with proper form, I stopped, even though I could have probably squeeze another 10-15lbs with bad form. So I'll base my program on that technical max, not my all-out snap-city max. Makes for a smoother (and safer) progression. Thanks a lot for all the advices you share here, they're gold!

I do have some more questions though:
1. I seem to have weak spinal erectors, because I can lift a lot more on deadlifts with upper back rounding than I can do on squats (where I can't round my back). What do you recommend for fixing that? I'd like to bring my squat up.
2. I think that one of the most important aspects for a long and progressive lifting... um whatever (life, career? lol) is that you stay as much injury free as you can.
So I was wondering what are you doing (or used to do, or wish you did) for recovery (this is just for curiosity, I know that the things you do at the elite level are different from intermediates like me), and what do you recommend (injury prevention, faster recovery etc.) when it comes to that?

Thanks man, you're an inspiration!

P.S. I'm starting the Cube Boss/Kingpin program (hence the deadlift test). I know that you're not affiliated with that, but I think it has a lot of similarities to your BBSM program (I studied some YouTube videos), so I'll stick to it until it stops working.

Hey man for the back I'd say that doing Romanian Deadlifts with the back tightly arched is a good exercise for the erectors or good mornings, but I mostly found that simply getting stronger in my legs was really the problem with my back. Most of my erector strength is the mid to upper portion, not so much my lower back. I just do lots of high bar and front squats to supplement my low bar so it's never a test of what my back strength allows me to squat but simply my leg strength as it should be! When I DO grind out reps on my back squats that builds all the low back strength I'll ever need to squat heavy. Simply put, however, there's A LOT that can cause squats to failure! Kinda hard for me to guess what your issue would be. Secondly for injury prevention just keeping my shoulder blades mobile and my hips and ankles so the joints next to them do not get overloaded.

Realstrength
04-29-14, 7:13 am
Hey Dan how would I go about finding my starting weights for my lifts and progress if I was gonna use your training method. I had gotten away from powerlifting but after seeing your videos on YouTube Iv been back at it a couple months thanks for motivating me to get back at it.

Lethall105
04-29-14, 2:57 pm
Hi Dan, hope you are well

I switched to doing High bar squats rather than low bar since I wanted to improve upon my depth. Running Wendler 5/3/1 to get my numbers up. I have started to notice as I fatigue, my hips shoot up first and I feel like that I end up doing a slight good morning as I am getting out of the squat i.e. I end up leaning forward too much as I am coming out of the hole. I am trying to find out what the cause of this could be, got any ideas?

All the best
Lethall

Fry!
04-29-14, 4:12 pm
Mr. Boss if i could ask, what's your opinion on Zahir? But if you don't want to post something, skip the question.

And are you planning to do a AMA on reddit, because, as i searched you there, i saw, you got an real big fan base there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQvEMfcfM18

makary
04-29-14, 5:51 pm
Hi Dan,

1. How its looks like your warm up routine before bench, squat, deadlift, military press?

2. Are you doing foam rolling or any type of prehab work?? If yes, how many times per week?

Thanks!

BOSS
05-09-14, 4:28 pm
Mr. Boss if i could ask, what's your opinion on Zahir? But if you don't want to post something, skip the question.

And are you planning to do a AMA on reddit, because, as i searched you there, i saw, you got an real big fan base there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQvEMfcfM18

Zahir is awesome. I'm a big fan of his and have been since I competed with him in 2010 in Moscow. I will definitely plan to compete against him at some point in the future, possibly 2015.

Also, I have no idea what an AMA is, although I am aware that I've been the subject of quite a few reddit posts

BOSS
05-09-14, 4:32 pm
Hi Dan,

1. How its looks like your warm up routine before bench, squat, deadlift, military press?

2. Are you doing foam rolling or any type of prehab work?? If yes, how many times per week?

Thanks!

I do very little foam rolling, if any. When I warm up I basically just start lifting. That's it. I progress the weights as I see fit. The first set or two are literally to "warm up" and the subsequent sets are short and sweet to prime the technique and feel the weight get heavier instead of just not warming up or doing lots of reps on every warmup sets. The two things I generall do stretch are my calves, as this is the most important for my squatting, and then my hips and groin a little as needed. If body parts are tight in between workouts I'll do informal stretching as needed. But I'm not big on stretching before lifting or foam rolling. YOu want to be a little tight.

BOSS
05-09-14, 4:35 pm
Hi Dan, hope you are well

I switched to doing High bar squats rather than low bar since I wanted to improve upon my depth. Running Wendler 5/3/1 to get my numbers up. I have started to notice as I fatigue, my hips shoot up first and I feel like that I end up doing a slight good morning as I am getting out of the squat i.e. I end up leaning forward too much as I am coming out of the hole. I am trying to find out what the cause of this could be, got any ideas?

All the best
Lethall

Yes this is simply that your back is taking over because your legs are fatigued or just not strong enough. Train with weights that allow you to keep your hips underneath you and therefore force the squat to require leg strength not back strength. Also, the 531 is likely a little short on volume when it comes to squatting. If your quads are not very strong, hack squats can be a good addition to your training

Patryk
05-09-14, 7:03 pm
Hi Dan,

I’ve learned a lot from watching your seminars and lifting videos on YouTube... You’re an incredible athlete with a lot of knowledge and an awesome personality, which is why so many people idolize you (myself included). I just have a few questions:

1. Do you ever lose motivation to train? If so, what do you do to get yourself back on track?

2. You said you don’t foam roll or stretch too much. Do you have any specific recovery techniques to help you continue progressing week after week?

3. Do you have any passions/hobbies outside of weightlifting?

4. Did you have any idols growing up? (Not limited to just athletes)

5. If you could go back in time and correct one training mistake from your past, what would you change?

Thanks in advance

The Untamed
05-09-14, 8:43 pm
Hi Dan,

You seem to be the powerlifter with the strongest core I have ever seen, do you have any tips that you could share about it ? (exercise or technique...)
You seem to do very little if any core work actually, but has it always been that way ? ?

Thanks!

BOSS
05-10-14, 11:31 pm
Hi Dan,

You seem to be the powerlifter with the strongest core I have ever seen, do you have any tips that you could share about it ? (exercise or technique...)
You seem to do very little if any core work actually, but has it always been that way ? ?

Thanks!

Well from years of gymnastics and training leg raises and basic crunches I gained some ab thickness as well as an awareness for engaging the torso. Over the last 3 years I've probably trained abs directly twice. Before that I only did weighted straight leg situps on a GHR with the weight behind my head. The key is not to "curl up" but to "sit up" by sitting up at the waist and not rounding. when I'd lay back it wasn't to hyperextend like crossfit situps... that's just dumb... but laying back and locking the hips like a deadlift so you're rigid and extended straight out. chin tucked in looking at your feet. As long as I could do 2 sets of 15 with a 45 plate behind my head I didn't really see the need to pursue stronger abs... There are no sit-up competitions right??

But now between the overload of doing sumo block pulls and lots of front squats I don't really need to add extra shit in... pretty simple

BOSS
05-10-14, 11:36 pm
Hi Dan,

I’ve learned a lot from watching your seminars and lifting videos on YouTube... You’re an incredible athlete with a lot of knowledge and an awesome personality, which is why so many people idolize you (myself included). I just have a few questions:

1. Do you ever lose motivation to train? If so, what do you do to get yourself back on track?

2. You said you don’t foam roll or stretch too much. Do you have any specific recovery techniques to help you continue progressing week after week?

3. Do you have any passions/hobbies outside of weightlifting?

4. Did you have any idols growing up? (Not limited to just athletes)

5. If you could go back in time and correct one training mistake from your past, what would you change?

Thanks in advance

Thanks man, I appreciate that.

1. No definitely not. It's a blessing every day that I'm able to train and pursue a hobby. There are people out there starving and suffering and barely surviving... This is pretty easy stuff
2. Just advil on my squat days to keep my knees from flaring up with tendinitis. I feel better when I train constantly then when I rest too much
3. Yeah spending time with my wife and son and dogs and friends. We like movies, hiking, the park, sports pretty much anything
4. Arnold, Barry Bonds, Jerry Rice, my dad
5. Just would've preferred not to have gotten a bone chip in my elbow or the tendinitis in my knee but otherwise not much. Experience isn't free

Patryk
05-11-14, 12:18 am
Thanks man, I appreciate that.

1. No definitely not. It's a blessing every day that I'm able to train and pursue a hobby. There are people out there starving and suffering and barely surviving... This is pretty easy stuff
2. Just advil on my squat days to keep my knees from flaring up with tendinitis. I feel better when I train constantly then when I rest too much
3. Yeah spending time with my wife and son and dogs and friends. We like movies, hiking, the park, sports pretty much anything
4. Arnold, Barry Bonds, Jerry Rice, my dad
5. Just would've preferred not to have gotten a bone chip in my elbow or the tendinitis in my knee but otherwise not much. Experience isn't free

Thanks a lot for taking the time to respond. As a fan, it means a lot.

Oh and just a side note.. I noticed that you don't have an avatar for your youtube channel and I just happened to come across a pretty badass pic over at the bodybuilding forums... You should consider using it. It'll get you more subscribers, and it's common knowledge that an increase in subscribers is directly correlated to strength gains. Just trying to help you out with breaking that 900 lb deadlift barrier. Good luck!

http://37.media.tumblr.com/c2ac0e0f7d440192dc507ea73fe8bc85/tumblr_n029m5J8ny1rzfba1o2_500.jpg

BOSS
05-11-14, 11:03 am
Thanks a lot for taking the time to respond. As a fan, it means a lot.

Oh and just a side note.. I noticed that you don't have an avatar for your youtube channel and I just happened to come across a pretty badass pic over at the bodybuilding forums... You should consider using it. It'll get you more subscribers, and it's common knowledge that an increase in subscribers is directly correlated to strength gains. Just trying to help you out with breaking that 900 lb deadlift barrier. Good luck!

http://37.media.tumblr.com/c2ac0e0f7d440192dc507ea73fe8bc85/tumblr_n029m5J8ny1rzfba1o2_500.jpg

Thanks man. Nice pic

Primo
05-11-14, 5:55 pm
Hey Dan
I have Tendinitis in my knee to. Do you have any tips or tricks besides advil.?? How much advil do you take, and how often.??

Right now i'am getting acupuncture and that works REALLY good. I was very surprised, after my first treatment.
And slow heavy/high rep in the leg press (1 rep=10 seconds). As an assistant exercise.

Anton
05-12-14, 10:58 am
Hi! First I want to thank you for being such a big inspiration for me. You're one of the few persons that motivated me to lift.
But i have a problem....I'm a beginner lifter (less than 1 year) and I have problems with my squat (I get lower back pain). I learnt to squat gathering information from YT and Starting Strength (there is no personal trainer here and most advanced lifters don't squat -I heard one guy the other day that said squats are for genetic freaks only....). Can you please give me a feedback on my squat? I uploaded a set on YT at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwmIXQw2GwE .
Also I'm currently on Jason Blaha's 5x5 program (which is a pure bodybuilding program), but my goal is to compete in powerlifting. Should I stick on this program (being a beginner) or should I change it?
Thanks a lot for your time. Cheers from Romania!

BOSS
05-12-14, 11:07 am
Hey Dan
I have Tendinitis in my knee to. Do you have any tips or tricks besides advil.?? How much advil do you take, and how often.??

Right now i'am getting acupuncture and that works REALLY good. I was very surprised, after my first treatment.
And slow heavy/high rep in the leg press (1 rep=10 seconds). As an assistant exercise.

The best prevention for me is just stretching my groin and especially my calves--the fascia where the calves and hams tie in behind the knee--The groin, when tight, shifts my weight to my right leg and the calves, when tight put weight on my toes and therefore put weight in my knees too much. I'd take 800 mg prior to a workout only on squat day. Before a meet, if there were (and there tend to be) a number of banged up body parts then I might take 800 twice per day for a week straight just to improve my performance on meet day

BOSS
05-13-14, 2:40 pm
Hi! First I want to thank you for being such a big inspiration for me. You're one of the few persons that motivated me to lift.
But i have a problem....I'm a beginner lifter (less than 1 year) and I have problems with my squat (I get lower back pain). I learnt to squat gathering information from YT and Starting Strength (there is no personal trainer here and most advanced lifters don't squat -I heard one guy the other day that said squats are for genetic freaks only....). Can you please give me a feedback on my squat? I uploaded a set on YT at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwmIXQw2GwE .
Also I'm currently on Jason Blaha's 5x5 program (which is a pure bodybuilding program), but my goal is to compete in powerlifting. Should I stick on this program (being a beginner) or should I change it?
Thanks a lot for your time. Cheers from Romania!

Thanks Anton!
I'd say your squat technique is fairly good. Nothing to really fix at this point. For a program I'd recommend the 531 program as a good secondary program to follow after starting strength. Hope that helps!

Anton
05-13-14, 2:51 pm
Thanks Anton!
I'd say your squat technique is fairly good. Nothing to really fix at this point. For a program I'd recommend the 531 program as a good secondary program to follow after starting strength. Hope that helps!
That is a relieve. Thanks a lot! I wish you all the best!

Infant Muscle
05-14-14, 1:16 am
What's going on Dan, in one of Animals videos of you squatting you were saying towards the end that squatting without a belt over time can put stress on the hip flexors and cause lower back tightness. Most of the time I squatted without a belt and my back would be super tight and sometimes cause actual pain. Now that I have been stretching the hip flexors that tightness is gone but my lower back hurts even bending over to tie my shoes, any ideas of what it could be?

BOSS
05-14-14, 6:00 pm
What's going on Dan, in one of Animals videos of you squatting you were saying towards the end that squatting without a belt over time can put stress on the hip flexors and cause lower back tightness. Most of the time I squatted without a belt and my back would be super tight and sometimes cause actual pain. Now that I have been stretching the hip flexors that tightness is gone but my lower back hurts even bending over to tie my shoes, any ideas of what it could be?

Yeah you're putting a ton of weight on your back and squatting it lol... Belts are very practical... they work

RomeyGBOD
05-14-14, 6:04 pm
Hey dan your a beast! Do you switch back and forth from training without a belt to training with a belt in the offseason? And if so how long do you train either way? And do you do any front squatting without a belt?

BOSS
05-14-14, 10:33 pm
Hey dan your a beast! Do you switch back and forth from training without a belt to training with a belt in the offseason? And if so how long do you train either way? And do you do any front squatting without a belt?

THanks man. Generally I'll do about a month of beltless training after a lot of competing. So maybe 4 weeks per year. The rest of the year round I'll do all my warmups with no belt before belting up for my work sets. So usually on squats I'll go up to 615-645 no belt and deads 685-735 no belt. Fronts usually up to 455-525 no belt. So I ALWAYS do at least 1-2 heavy(ish) reps per workout all year round

HAG
05-15-14, 5:39 am
Hi Mate,

First off you are a true inspiration and pioneer to us all.

Not sure if already been asked but couldn't find, so if it has my apologies, at what point would you recommend investing in a belt? DL is around 200kg and Squat 160kg @95kg BW and been lifting for 10months now.
Which leads me on to my next question, what belt would you recommend?

All the best for the future,
HAG

RomeyGBOD
05-15-14, 4:39 pm
THanks man. Generally I'll do about a month of beltless training after a lot of competing. So maybe 4 weeks per year. The rest of the year round I'll do all my warmups with no belt before belting up for my work sets. So usually on squats I'll go up to 615-645 no belt and deads 685-735 no belt. Fronts usually up to 455-525 no belt. So I ALWAYS do at least 1-2 heavy(ish) reps per workout all year round
Thanks alot! How many work sets do you usually hit on the 3 lifts ? And how do you rotate the high and low bar squats into your routine ? Sorry for so many questions .. Haha

JacknCoke
05-16-14, 1:49 am
Hey Dan, would you change anything to the routine below? Add or drop anything?
The point of 4 full body workouts a week is to train everything fresh and while it doesn't leave much room for accessory work i include the basics to also pay attention to the small muscle groups. It also does't leave me as sore and tired and that seems to be a plus since i plan to try mma training on top of this. I thought of adding high bar paused squats on day 1 while only doing 2 top sets on low bar squats because sometimes it seems impossible to get the reps on the 3rd and 4th set and instead of increasing the weight i try to increase the reps on the last sets. I don't know what would be more beneficial or productive though. Same thing with the deadlifts on day 6. On upper body lifts 4 top sets doesn t seem too draining though and i usually get all the sets. Any suggestions? Also any deadlift variations similar to what is the high bar pause squat to the pl squat? Thanks!

Day 1
low bar squat: cycle
wide grip paused bench: 3 x 6-10
Biceps

Day 2
OH Press: cycle
Snatch grip oh press: 3 sets light
Deficit sldl: cycle
shrugs 3 x 15-40

Day 3
Conditioning

Day 4
Wide grip paused bench: 3 x 6-10
Front squat: cycle
Biceps

Day 5
Conditioning

Day 6
Deadlift: cycle
Snatch grip oh press: cycle
Oh press: light
Shrugs 3 x 15-40
Forearms & rear delts & calves: 3 x 30

Day 7
Conditioning

Cycle
4 x 10
4 x 8
3 x 5 1x 10
3 x 3 1 x 8
2 x 2 2 x 8
Max

??

keembo
05-16-14, 6:03 am
Hey Dan! Thank you for taking the time to help all of us out. You're an inspiration to all of us and your accomplishments speak for themselves.

I just wanted to ask you for some advice regarding upper/mid back rounding during conventional deadlifts. I've been getting stronger but it seems to be coming at the price of my mid/upper back rounding. My lower back hasn't been aching or anything at all but after watching a video of myself, it makes me kind of question whether or not I should really be lifting that weight if my form horrifies me. Please note that I've been pulling beltless. I just wasn't sure if it was alright as long as my lower back feels ok or if I should really take a step back and figure out what's wrong.

Thanks again!

Fry!
05-16-14, 11:29 am
okay, now to something more complicate, in other words, would you endorse this programming, and if, what assistance exercises would you recommend, if you would write an plan? or what would be your changes.

https://docs.zoho.com/sheet/ropen.do?rid=uoiwjcf592084c140420298161ab2ba2bb262

i only translated the first week, it was an german plan.

btw: last sheiko to bring my bench(metric: 107,5-110), squat up(metric: 165), worked. now my deadlift(180) lags.

pbclax1
05-16-14, 4:37 pm
Dan, when you were bringing up your quads, how did you lay out training for that and what would you recommend without neglecting the other lifts?

Also, you said you switch to conventional pulls for times then go back to sumo. Do you do anything to keep flexible for the sumo pulls? Would you recommend someone making this switch if they are still working on their flexibility and form on sumo's or just stick with sumo and keep improving it?

makary
05-19-14, 1:04 pm
which supplements do you use?

BOSS
05-20-14, 11:21 am
Hi Mate,

First off you are a true inspiration and pioneer to us all.

Not sure if already been asked but couldn't find, so if it has my apologies, at what point would you recommend investing in a belt? DL is around 200kg and Squat 160kg @95kg BW and been lifting for 10months now.
Which leads me on to my next question, what belt would you recommend?

All the best for the future,
HAG

Yeah I'd get a belt. The ones I have are from Inzer: the 13mm Inzer Forever 2-prong which I've had for 7 years and it's great! I also have one from Titan which is new and also a 13mm with 2-prong buckle. I haven't really broken it in yet but I only got it cause it's fancy and snakeskin lol.

BOSS
05-20-14, 11:26 am
??

It seems like a pretty elaborate layout for a routine. Going full body is fine if you're basically training weights to support the other sports you play, but probably leaves something to be desired in terms of gaining muscle mass... but I don't want to say it won't work. You also didn't specify what goals you have so it makes it impossible to judge. As for deadlifts, deads done from a deficit are the way to go for building the lift with an accessory lift.

BOSS
05-20-14, 11:28 am
Hey Dan! Thank you for taking the time to help all of us out. You're an inspiration to all of us and your accomplishments speak for themselves.

I just wanted to ask you for some advice regarding upper/mid back rounding during conventional deadlifts. I've been getting stronger but it seems to be coming at the price of my mid/upper back rounding. My lower back hasn't been aching or anything at all but after watching a video of myself, it makes me kind of question whether or not I should really be lifting that weight if my form horrifies me. Please note that I've been pulling beltless. I just wasn't sure if it was alright as long as my lower back feels ok or if I should really take a step back and figure out what's wrong.

Thanks again!

No it's natural for the upper/mid back to round. That's proper technique it's just too hard to teach novices to brace the low back and round the upper back so the rigid lower and upper back technique tends to be perpetually mistaken for the best way to pull. It's not!

BOSS
05-20-14, 11:31 am
okay, now to something more complicate, in other words, would you endorse this programming, and if, what assistance exercises would you recommend, if you would write an plan? or what would be your changes.

https://docs.zoho.com/sheet/ropen.do?rid=uoiwjcf592084c140420298161ab2ba2bb262

i only translated the first week, it was an german plan.

btw: last sheiko to bring my bench(metric: 107,5-110), squat up(metric: 165), worked. now my deadlift(180) lags.

To be honest I'm largely unfamiliar and inexperienced with german volume training routines as well as Sheiko style programs. I don't know what your goals are nor do I know what the programs goals are unfortunately

BOSS
05-20-14, 11:34 am
Dan, when you were bringing up your quads, how did you lay out training for that and what would you recommend without neglecting the other lifts?

Also, you said you switch to conventional pulls for times then go back to sumo. Do you do anything to keep flexible for the sumo pulls? Would you recommend someone making this switch if they are still working on their flexibility and form on sumo's or just stick with sumo and keep improving it?

I basically at first added leg press after squats on squat day mondays, added a full on front squat day on wednesday, and added high rep hack squats on the end of deadlift day fridays.

As for switching I wouldn't if you're still making improvements on your sumo. ONly switch if you're burned out

JacknCoke
05-20-14, 2:57 pm
It seems like a pretty elaborate layout for a routine. Going full body is fine if you're basically training weights to support the other sports you play, but probably leaves something to be desired in terms of gaining muscle mass... but I don't want to say it won't work. You also didn't specify what goals you have so it makes it impossible to judge. As for deadlifts, deads done from a deficit are the way to go for building the lift with an accessory lift.

First of all thanks for responding on such a long question. Here are my goals from lifting weights, i want the powerlifts and the overhead press to improve and to keep improving while doing lots of cardio (mma) which i did zero in the past. The best progress i had on them was doing this
day 1 bench
day 2 squat + light deadlift (no leg drive)
day 3 press
day 4 front squat
day 5 bench
day 6 deadlift
day 7 off
Plus variations of the lifts (high bar squats, wide grip benches, deficit deadlifts, snatch grip overhead presses) 3-6 working sets for each exercise and a few other isolation stuff in the end.
I wanted to keep doing something like that with lots of work on the main lifts and without a ton of isolation work, but to cut down the sessions from 6 to 4
so this
day 1 squat + bench
day 2 press + light deadlift (deficit with no leg drive)
day 3
day 4 bench + front squat
day 5
day 6 deadlift + more press
day 7
I guess i just have to keep training and give it time, and if it doesn't work i will have to change something. I just have never combined hard conditioning with strength training before.

pbclax1
05-20-14, 3:44 pm
I basically at first added leg press after squats on squat day mondays, added a full on front squat day on wednesday, and added high rep hack squats on the end of deadlift day fridays.

As for switching I wouldn't if you're still making improvements on your sumo. ONly switch if you're burned out

Perfect, thank you! If you were high bar squatting multiple times a week along with front squats (4/5 training days is a squat) would you bother putting hacks and leg presses into the program?

BOSS
05-20-14, 8:19 pm
Perfect, thank you! If you were high bar squatting multiple times a week along with front squats (4/5 training days is a squat) would you bother putting hacks and leg presses into the program?

hack squats maybe. I'd usually target hard sets of 20 reps or 15-25. 1 warmup then 2-3 high rep sets at a hard weight is great if you still aren't getting enough work for your quads

nickbustos
05-21-14, 12:15 am
Whats up BOSS.

I have a question about dead lifting. Its my second favorite lift next to the bench press. Im not a powerlifter or anything really. If i were to place myself in any type of category it would be more in the bodybuilding section but i have immense strength for my size (5'8 165). Tonight i smashed my back and legs at different times this evening. I am really wanting to increase my dead lift numbers but i do not know how to do it. That is my first exercise of my back workout.

Tonight for dead life I did:

135x15 (warmup) x 2 sets, 225x10, 275x6, 315x4, 365x2, 405x1

Since my new max is 405 i just need help with percentages and rep ranges even following rest periods if you could help.

Thanks for reading BOSS.

Realstrength
05-21-14, 10:41 am
Hey dan I saw you posted a bench routine earlier in this forum for how you would set it up my question is what would a squat program look like including the pause squats after comp squats. Would it be 2-3 sets of 3-6 reps like bench then drop how much to hit pauses for how many sets and reps? I'm also loving the deadlift routine you put in power magazine gettin good results with it.

BOSS
05-21-14, 6:44 pm
Whats up BOSS.

I have a question about dead lifting. Its my second favorite lift next to the bench press. Im not a powerlifter or anything really. If i were to place myself in any type of category it would be more in the bodybuilding section but i have immense strength for my size (5'8 165). Tonight i smashed my back and legs at different times this evening. I am really wanting to increase my dead lift numbers but i do not know how to do it. That is my first exercise of my back workout.

Tonight for dead life I did:

135x15 (warmup) x 2 sets, 225x10, 275x6, 315x4, 365x2, 405x1

Since my new max is 405 i just need help with percentages and rep ranges even following rest periods if you could help.

Thanks for reading BOSS.

Just start with about 315 for (2-3) sets of 5 and each week add about 10 lbs and do 2-4 sets of reps with that weight. Do all the reps from a dead stop. No touch n go reps.
Second stand on a box or 100# plate (about 3-4" tall) and do deads from there so the weight is closer to your ankles. Start at about 225 and do another 2-4 sets of 5 reps. The weight can be different each set but don't make large jumps. Keep increasing this a little more each week. This lift should be really good for making you stronger as well. Don't be in a rush to go heavy just get a lot of good quality sets and reps.
Eventually you'll want to switch to doing sets of 3 as the weights increase and that's ok

BOSS
05-21-14, 6:45 pm
Hey dan I saw you posted a bench routine earlier in this forum for how you would set it up my question is what would a squat program look like including the pause squats after comp squats. Would it be 2-3 sets of 3-6 reps like bench then drop how much to hit pauses for how many sets and reps? I'm also loving the deadlift routine you put in power magazine gettin good results with it.

you can organize these however you like. I do reps between 1 and 5 and for 2-5 sets. It'd be hard to detail what to do briefly but before long I'll detail it all out in a book that will be available publicly

HAG
05-22-14, 12:29 pm
Cheers for the reply

It'd be hard to detail what to do briefly but before long I'll detail it all out in a book that will be available publicly

Any ETA on this?

Cheers,
HAG

BOSS
05-23-14, 3:03 pm
Cheers for the reply

Any ETA on this?

Cheers,
HAG

sorry no date yet

J Wong
05-23-14, 3:29 pm
Not sure it has been asked yet, but what is your weight cut protocol into the meet at say...15-20 lbs over the weight limit? I was real impressed with your performance at RUM after seeing you the morning of weigh ins, it looks like you did everything pretty spot on to rehydrate and get back to your regular bodyweight.

Realstrength
05-23-14, 9:21 pm
Hey dan I have a meet coming up and I wanted to know how you go about picking your attempts

The Untamed
05-24-14, 6:28 am
Hey Boss,

I'm very curious and interested in high frequency training (bench 3 times a week squat 2-3 times a week and dead 1-2 times...), but I don't really know how to lay out the thing. Do you have like a "volume day" with more sets and another with higher intensity like a top set but lower volume or ?? Or do you simply try to progress (linear progression) and add weight each workout ?
I tought about doing smolov on the squat and smolov jr on the bench to have an idea of what it looks like?

Thanks man.

BOSS
05-25-14, 11:08 am
Not sure it has been asked yet, but what is your weight cut protocol into the meet at say...15-20 lbs over the weight limit? I was real impressed with your performance at RUM after seeing you the morning of weigh ins, it looks like you did everything pretty spot on to rehydrate and get back to your regular bodyweight.

Generally I have cut from 238 40 hours before but have ranged as low as 235 and as high as 241.5. For Rum however I was 249 3 days out and 245 2 days out... It was kinda a last second decision to cut the weight. But for all these I've always bloated up heavier than the start weight. At RUM believe it or not I came back the next morning and weighed in at 255 with my shorts on!

BOSS
05-25-14, 12:04 pm
Generally I have cut from 238 40 hours before but have ranged as low as 235 and as high as 241.5. For Rum however I was 249 3 days out and 245 2 days out... It was kinda a last second decision to cut the weight. But for all these I've always bloated up heavier than the start weight. At RUM believe it or not I came back the next morning and weighed in at 255 with my shorts on!

The biggest difference for my last two meets has been how I've put the weight back on. I've had Stan Efferding advising me on that part and it's made a big difference. I'd definitely talk to him/hire him if you're considering going for a bigger weight cut

BOSS
05-25-14, 12:09 pm
Hey Boss,

I'm very curious and interested in high frequency training (bench 3 times a week squat 2-3 times a week and dead 1-2 times...), but I don't really know how to lay out the thing. Do you have like a "volume day" with more sets and another with higher intensity like a top set but lower volume or ?? Or do you simply try to progress (linear progression) and add weight each workout ?
I tought about doing smolov on the squat and smolov jr on the bench to have an idea of what it looks like?

Thanks man.

What I do is if you know a variation of the bench that seems to build the most strength for you you might consider using THAT lift on it's own day and do it for several sets of moderate reps. Generally I've done this with variations of wide-grip benching for a chest focus. You can target the triceps by lifting heavy, but to hit the chest hard volume is key because generally in a single set of reps the triceps will fatigue before the pecs, being that they're the smaller muscle group. They also recover quickly, so if you do enough sets the chest will get adequate work. So sometimes I'll do a bench day and a shoulder day, sometimes two heavy bench days, sometimes a linear progression bench day and a volume bench day, and sometimes the linear bench day, volume day and shoulder day. Just depends how I organize my training!

BOSS
05-25-14, 12:12 pm
Hey dan I have a meet coming up and I wanted to know how you go about picking your attempts

Think of what you'd need on each lift to put together a good total. Those should constitute your third attempts on squat and bench and second attempt on the deadlift. I like to open really light on squat and bench then take a second around my 2RM then the third based on my goals going in and my assessment of strength that day. Deads should be based on your subtotal then. First should be a warmup for the second, which should give you the goal total or competitive total and the third should be there to go as heavy as competition calls for or you want to shoot.

J Wong
05-25-14, 12:26 pm

The biggest difference for my last two meets has been how I've put the weight back on. I've had Stan Efferding advising me on that part and it's made a big difference. I'd definitely talk to him/hire him if you're considering going for a bigger weight cut

Thanks for the reply. When you start your weight cut, do you just cut the food out, water out after that, and then try and sweat it out as fast as possible? I'm 255 right now (Sunday AM weight) and am cutting to 242 by Friday morning. It shouldn't be a problem as I have done this without much problem before RUM and the IPL meet in November, but I would like to do it in the most efficient way possible.

Assuming I get picked to lift at Relentless this year in Detroit, I am planning on going 220. The goal is to diet down to 235ish and cut the rest. As for the rehydrating method for that, I have something in mind that I have heard of some top lifters doing, but I'm not sure if I have anybody to help out with that if you know what I mean!

BOSS
05-26-14, 1:23 am
Thanks for the reply. When you start your weight cut, do you just cut the food out, water out after that, and then try and sweat it out as fast as possible? I'm 255 right now (Sunday AM weight) and am cutting to 242 by Friday morning. It shouldn't be a problem as I have done this without much problem before RUM and the IPL meet in November, but I would like to do it in the most efficient way possible.

Assuming I get picked to lift at Relentless this year in Detroit, I am planning on going 220. The goal is to diet down to 235ish and cut the rest. As for the rehydrating method for that, I have something in mind that I have heard of some top lifters doing, but I'm not sure if I have anybody to help out with that if you know what I mean!

The big factor for me is first water and sodium loading all weak and then cutting sodium a day before I start cutting and then dropping the water. Cutting out carbs and then sodium means that nothing in your body will try to hold on to that water so it'll keep pouring out as you sweat and pee. Definitely don't want to cut too early but if you do eat some unsalted PB and proteing powder in the minimum amount of water.

RaptorJesus
05-28-14, 12:34 am
Dan, would you mind talking about your background in olympic weightlifting? How long did you do the classic lifts? What made you switch to powerlifting? With your monster squat, what do you think you could snatch/clean and jerk these days?

Fry!
05-28-14, 4:45 pm
Mister Green do you also give fashion advice?
Well, what brand was the compression short you did wear at the animal cage, people tend to say it was the/a new titan singlet, others say under armour and i'll think you know better.

And what your opinion about tshirts? dou you prefer something special for lifting?
Thank you.

BOSS
05-29-14, 3:51 am
Mister Green do you also give fashion advice?
Well, what brand was the compression short you did wear at the animal cage, people tend to say it was the/a new titan singlet, others say under armour and i'll think you know better.

And what your opinion about tshirts? dou you prefer something special for lifting?
Thank you.

The compression shorts were the UA NFL combine shorts from a couple years ago not titan. And for tees I just like the basic cotton like the ones Animal gets us for comps. Nothing too soft since I'm putting a bar on my back there

BOSS
05-29-14, 4:01 am
Dan, would you mind talking about your background in olympic weightlifting? How long did you do the classic lifts? What made you switch to powerlifting? With your monster squat, what do you think you could snatch/clean and jerk these days?

I'm really not sure why everyone assumes I have a background in Olympic lifting lol. I trained with a coach for about 7 or 8 months tops from 2009-2010. I started powerlifting in 2007 and did more PL meets during the brief olympic stint as well. I just liked doing it because when I was in college and I just wanted to lift to "get jacked" I had a lot of success building mass by doing power cleans and even during my PL days I like using hang cleans and hang snatches for conditioning and upper back work. Honestly I have zero desire to olympic lift at this point and have no real clue what I could lift if I tried

guitarinet
05-29-14, 11:45 am
Hey Dan. Just want to say thanks for all the information your putting out here on this thread. I appreciate the tips and advice you give and have implemented a lot of it into my training. I do happen to have a question though. I was just wondering how much back work you used to do when you did more hypertrophy work earlier in your training. Everyone always says to even out your pushing and pulling to prevent imbalances and keep your shoulders healthy, but I think i might be doing too much back work. I usually do 3 different pulling exercises for 4 sets everyday training day (6 days a week) which include shrugs, face pulls, rows, or pull ups. Do you think this might be too much volume for my back?

guitarinet
05-29-14, 12:13 pm
Also, I was wondering if you could help me with my deadlift. My lower back tends to round when I deadlift. I researched as to why my lower back would round. I'm sure there's a technique issue but I was also wondering if one reason my back is rounding is because my legs are weak. My best triple deadlift is 425 and my best triple squat is 310... Could the fact that my legs are so much weaker cause my lower back to round because my body wants to use the stronger muscle to finish the lift?

Sorry for all the questions but I appreciate anything that you can answer. Thanks again for everything that you do Dan!

RaptorJesus
05-29-14, 10:54 pm
I think it is primarily because of your use of front squats, heeled shoes, rehbands. In the article, "How I Built My Best Squat Ever-Front Squats" you mentioned that you had some training in the classic lifts so I thought I would ask. I appreciate the response.

The best exercise for improving my squat has been the front squat. I learned them during my Olympic lifting years, but reinstated them in my powerlifting regimen after speaking with Mr. Sam Byrd.

BOSS
05-30-14, 4:52 pm
I think it is primarily because of your use of front squats, heeled shoes, rehbands. In the article, "How I Built My Best Squat Ever-Front Squats" you mentioned that you had some training in the classic lifts so I thought I would ask. I appreciate the response.

Yeah but I mostly get the feeling that people just want to say oh you're good because you olympic lifted... like: See. Olympic lifting is better... But no I always was a powerlifter and just messed with the olympic lifts

RaptorJesus
05-31-14, 12:58 am
Yeah but I mostly get the feeling that people just want to say oh you're good because you olympic lifted... like: See. Olympic lifting is better... But no I always was a powerlifter and just messed with the olympic lifts

I think somebody with your work ethic would be successful regardless of their background. Time debating which sport is superior would be better spent picking heavy things off the floor and squatting more.

BOSS
05-31-14, 1:12 am
I think somebody with your work ethic would be successful regardless of their background. Time debating which sport is superior would be better spent picking heavy things off the floor and squatting more.

Yeah for the most part I agree, but it is important for people to have heros and emotional reasons why theirs are their favorites and theirs are better than everyone else's heroes! Just like any other sport... It just means at least people are passionate about lifting.

AodhanBoulder
06-03-14, 8:04 pm
Boss, what's up?

...What is the best accessory movement which is going to improve my lockout in the sumo deadlift? I'm quite quick off the floor, but I always seem to hit a sticking point when the bar reaches just above the knee. Although I know I can usually finish the lift if it gets that far, I was wondering what I can do to make it stronger.

Thanks,
Boulder.

BOSS
06-04-14, 1:08 pm
Boss, what's up?

...What is the best accessory movement which is going to improve my lockout in the sumo deadlift? I'm quite quick off the floor, but I always seem to hit a sticking point when the bar reaches just above the knee. Although I know I can usually finish the lift if it gets that far, I was wondering what I can do to make it stronger.

Thanks,
Boulder.

Well that either just comes down to strength in the pulling muscles, which can be built with bent rows or conventional deadlift variations, or, what's most common, is having bad leverages. If your hands are narrower than your shoulder width it makes for very poor leverage to lock out at the top and usually people do this because a narrow grip feels stronger off the floor. Get your grip just a little wider and your upper back strength will be greatly improved.

AodhanBoulder
06-04-14, 2:45 pm
Well that either just comes down to strength in the pulling muscles, which can be built with bent rows or conventional deadlift variations, or, what's most common, is having bad leverages. If your hands are narrower than your shoulder width it makes for very poor leverage to lock out at the top and usually people do this because a narrow grip feels stronger off the floor. Get your grip just a little wider and your upper back strength will be greatly improved.

Thanks for the reply!
I think it must mainly be down to my grip width! Will take it a little wider and see how things go!. That's a good point too, I've been going fairly easy with my barbell rowing so maybe it's time to build that weight back up again.
Thanks for the advice Dan.

Boulder.

Mark Welbourn
06-04-14, 6:54 pm
Hey Boss.. forgive me if you've already given a good answer to this, but i'm interested in some sumo deadlift cues. I feel like really pushing my knees out hard helps me but i've been hearing talk about relaxing the back and torso lately... possibly to lengthen their arms a little and shorten the bar path? I always flex both my lats and abs as hard as i can. What would you advise? Also.. arms more in front of you or at your sides? Thanks for any input

DeadtillDead
06-05-14, 6:02 am
Hey dan ,
I was wondering what your views are on lifting your head when benching (lowering the bar and lifting head to watch bar bath to chest, then putting head down on the push)? I was doing it when i benched and i greatly increases my power in my experience and feels overall more comfortable to go heavy . I heard this is bad for your neck and upper back and causing muscle straining so am trying to keep my head on the bench but it just feels awkward that way.
Thanks

Chopsor
06-05-14, 4:03 pm
hi dan , what is the best exercise for building strong traps ? i do shrugs but is there something better ?

BOSS
06-05-14, 4:06 pm
hi dan , what is the best exercise for building strong traps ? i do shrugs but is there something better ?

yeah shrugs were never my favorite, but they work. What's important is that shrugs must be explosive and not strict. I prefer hang cleans for sets of 5-8 as that is basically just a maximally explosive shrug. If you do shrug it can't be light and controlled but heavy and aggressive!

BOSS
06-05-14, 4:07 pm
Hey dan ,
I was wondering what your views are on lifting your head when benching (lowering the bar and lifting head to watch bar bath to chest, then putting head down on the push)? I was doing it when i benched and i greatly increases my power in my experience and feels overall more comfortable to go heavy . I heard this is bad for your neck and upper back and causing muscle straining so am trying to keep my head on the bench but it just feels awkward that way.
Thanks

everything is bad for you lol. Except for that. Keep doing it. You'll bench more and it's better

BOSS
06-05-14, 4:10 pm
Hey Boss.. forgive me if you've already given a good answer to this, but i'm interested in some sumo deadlift cues. I feel like really pushing my knees out hard helps me but i've been hearing talk about relaxing the back and torso lately... possibly to lengthen their arms a little and shorten the bar path? I always flex both my lats and abs as hard as i can. What would you advise? Also.. arms more in front of you or at your sides? Thanks for any input

Wepushing the knees out is critical. If you want to do something with your torso just do heavier sets of 3-5 reps off blocks (4") and see how you lift… that'll be correct. For grip a narrower grip increases start leverage but worsens lockout leverage and vice versa. If your start sucks grip narrow. If your lockout is your failing point then grip wider

Mark Welbourn
06-05-14, 5:40 pm
Wepushing the knees out is critical. If you want to do something with your torso just do heavier sets of 3-5 reps off blocks (4") and see how you lift… that'll be correct. For grip a narrower grip increases start leverage but worsens lockout leverage and vice versa. If your start sucks grip narrow. If your lockout is your failing point then grip wider

Thanks for the reply Dan. I do heavy sets of the 4" in sumo block pulls as per previous advise from you. Sometimes when i pull it feels like i am more relaxed in my upper back... and then it feels like my arms are longer and the pull is easier. I can't understand what i'm doing when it feels so much easier though. I get so fired up and do a standing plank like a pyschopath :) How can you describe a relaxed upperback? Arms more in front of you? Deliberately round forward?

BOSS
06-06-14, 10:56 am
Thanks for the reply Dan. I do heavy sets of the 4" in sumo block pulls as per previous advise from you. Sometimes when i pull it feels like i am more relaxed in my upper back... and then it feels like my arms are longer and the pull is easier. I can't understand what i'm doing when it feels so much easier though. I get so fired up and do a standing plank like a pyschopath :) How can you describe a relaxed upperback? Arms more in front of you? Deliberately round forward?

yeah just deliberately round forward, reach down almost like you're crunching down on your belt... if you've ever seen my deadlift setup that may sound familiar. You'll see me inhale, then crunch down on my belt to get that upper back rounded but with maximal intra-abdominal pressure

Chopsor
06-07-14, 11:40 am
hi dan , another question. so i lose bodyfat and since a few weeks my lifts getting a lot stronger than normal
even im on a calorie defizit , thanks to your advice.
so my question is if i want to lose bodyfat should i also do some running / walking /hiking or biking ?

Mark Welbourn
06-07-14, 3:47 pm
yeah just deliberately round forward, reach down almost like you're crunching down on your belt... if you've ever seen my deadlift setup that may sound familiar. You'll see me inhale, then crunch down on my belt to get that upper back rounded but with maximal intra-abdominal pressure
This is why i go to you with this kind of stuff. I tried what you described today and 3 x 452 felt like speed pulls (pulled 507 last meet). I'm doing the Swedish raw nationals in a month. If i get a big dl pr I'm going to name my next child after you :)

zerk1
06-09-14, 7:32 pm

On the topic of back rounding on sumo; how does your low back not round when your upper back does? My naturally strongest position is with my upper back rounded so my hips are higher, however in that position my lower back rounds as well. Here's a picture that illustrates what I look like with higher hips and lower hips
http://i.imgur.com/f1F1nTO.jpg

And here's a video if you have the time to check it out, I added a front view to see if my knees are spread enough
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OcpttJ9POy8

With the low hips my low back appears to be straight but I feel very, very weak and can't even move weights that are 20 kg under my usual work sets.

Thanks in advance

alquemy
06-12-14, 6:06 pm
Hi Dan

Thanks for having the ABC at your gym a couple of weeks ago...it was awesome!

Are you going to be there tomorrow afternoon? I'm looking for pointers on my deadlift...still trying to figure out my technique on it as I'm relatively new to powerlifting, and also thinking if I should switch to sumo or not

BOSS
06-13-14, 12:08 am
Hi Dan

Thanks for having the ABC at your gym a couple of weeks ago...it was awesome!

Are you going to be there tomorrow afternoon? I'm looking for pointers on my deadlift...still trying to figure out my technique on it as I'm relatively new to powerlifting, and also thinking if I should switch to sumo or not

No doubt, it was a pretty damn good turnout and we had a great time. If you can make it down here around 6:30 that's when we'll have the training time on Friday's. You're welcome to come earlier but that's when I'll be free and able to help you out with some tech stuff

alquemy
06-13-14, 2:44 am
No doubt, it was a pretty damn good turnout and we had a great time. If you can make it down here around 6:30 that's when we'll have the training time on Friday's. You're welcome to come earlier but that's when I'll be free and able to help you out with some tech stuff

Awesome...I'll probably get there a bit early...coming from SF via CalTrain

Mocheeks
06-13-14, 1:33 pm
For any novices that might stumble through, where do you suggest beginners turn to learn about the basics of power lifting? What sources do you think give the most insight on proper diet, programs, and form?

Thanks for the info Dan.

Fry!
06-13-14, 4:46 pm
A little question about "the supple Leopard"-Thing, because your person was often affected(or adressed) in different articles, with the "supple Leopard"-Thing by Kelly Starret, where they discussed: if a lifter should point their feet straight and push, keep their knees out and it also was mentioned that with an wide based squat its more natural to point their feet straight and knees out.

Also, if i remember correctly you did stated, that you like the olympic-sqautting-style, that the russians like pozdeev use, this subtle move.
Also what's your opinion on this?

btw: i don't know, if you already said something to this topic, but sorry for overasking.

ALPHA
06-14-14, 1:10 pm
What accessory exercises do you do to improve squat/bench/deadlift?

I know it all depends on the what you are weak at, but like what exercises helped you the most?

BOSS
06-17-14, 3:18 am
What accessory exercises do you do to improve squat/bench/deadlift?

I know it all depends on the what you are weak at, but like what exercises helped you the most?

front squats build quad size for squats as well as quad and upper back strength for pulling sumo
high bar paused squats work well for becoming more explosive with the legs and hips in the squat
stiff leg deads are great for building the back and hamstrings... usually sets of 6-8 reps standing on a 3-4" box or 100 plate. All stop and start reps
deficit conv deads (stand on step or 100 plate) are fantastic for building the deadlift. best exercise for pulling conv and really builds a great lockout
block pulls sumo are best for building the sumo dl. period. 3-4" blocks for the weights to rest on for sets of 3-5 reps
for bench wide grip reps with pauses as well as close grips, military presses, all DB presses... pretty much just bench!

BOSS
06-17-14, 3:29 am
A little question about "the supple Leopard"-Thing, because your person was often affected(or adressed) in different articles, with the "supple Leopard"-Thing by Kelly Starret, where they discussed: if a lifter should point their feet straight and push, keep their knees out and it also was mentioned that with an wide based squat its more natural to point their feet straight and knees out.

Also, if i remember correctly you did stated, that you like the olympic-sqautting-style, that the russians like pozdeev use, this subtle move.
Also what's your opinion on this?

btw: i don't know, if you already said something to this topic, but sorry for overasking.

hmmm I basically said that driving the knees in as you drive out of the hole is the way to generate maximal drive through the quads and maximal acceleration coming out of the hole for oly lifters or raw PLers. Starret pretty much advocates knees out which I disagree with as it beats up the hips and neglects the quads, which are the muscle group with the highest ceiling for growth... It's also safer to bring the knees in as this aligns them better with the line of force going from the hips down throught the ankles. I also advise pointing the feet in the same direction that your knees travel. So the wider the stance the more the feet turn out... I hate straight ahead unless it's for a hip-width stance or slightly wider. As for high bar squats, yes, I love them and generally do them after I low-bar squat. I'm not sure what the hell Pozdeev does in his training--I wish I did!--but he squats low bar and his feet angle moderately out at about 30-40 degrees open for each foot. He also drives his knees in to drive out of the hole. The reason this is done is because you're basically relying on the muscles of your groin/adductors to stop your descent in the hole and since they both pull the hips into extension AND pull the knees in it only makes sense to go with the motion instead of fighting it and trading improved leverage for reduced power. Just imagine doing a leg press and pushing your knees out... makes zero sense.

throttle814
06-23-14, 2:31 am
When pulling sumo do you ever drag the bars up your shins? Reason for asking is because when I am dead lifting my shins look like I pushed them through a cheese grater.

NorthStrong
06-24-14, 12:30 am
Hey Dan, I plan on learning the sumo pull after my meet (this Saturday) and I know you recommend pulling off blocks to learn the form and to build some hip strength before going directly to the floor. Just wondering if you think this is a good setup as far as the deadlifts look.

Mon - Competition Squat, High Bar, Stiff Leg DL
Tue - Close Grip Bench / Overhead Stuff (Tri / shoulder focused)
Wed - Front Squats / Bent Rows
Thu - off
Fri - Sumo Block Pulls, Conventional DLs
Sat - Bench / Wide grips / inclines (chest focused)
Sun - off

Thanks!

BOSS
06-24-14, 10:51 pm
Hey Dan, I plan on learning the sumo pull after my meet (this Saturday) and I know you recommend pulling off blocks to learn the form and to build some hip strength before going directly to the floor. Just wondering if you think this is a good setup as far as the deadlifts look.

Mon - Competition Squat, High Bar, Stiff Leg DL
Tue - Close Grip Bench / Overhead Stuff (Tri / shoulder focused)
Wed - Front Squats / Bent Rows
Thu - off
Fri - Sumo Block Pulls, Conventional DLs
Sat - Bench / Wide grips / inclines (chest focused)
Sun - off

Thanks!

I would still pull from the floor first in the deadlift workout but I'd recommend putting more volume into the block pulls early on. just gotta do some sets off the floor though

NorthStrong
06-24-14, 11:09 pm
I would still pull from the floor first in the deadlift workout but I'd recommend putting more volume into the block pulls early on. just gotta do some sets off the floor though

Thanks Dan - to clarify you are suggesting that I pull from the floor sumo, then sumo off blocks? Not conventional from floor then sumo off blocks, right?

zerk1
06-26-14, 4:57 am
On the topic of back rounding on sumo; how does your low back not round when your upper back does? My naturally strongest position is with my upper back rounded so my hips are higher, however in that position my lower back rounds as well. Here's a picture that illustrates what I look like with higher hips and lower hips
http://i.imgur.com/f1F1nTO.jpg

And here's a video if you have the time to check it out, I added a front view to see if my knees are spread enough
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OcpttJ9POy8

With the low hips my low back appears to be straight but I feel very, very weak and can't even move weights that are 20 kg under my usual work sets.

Thanks in advance
Bump

BOSS
06-26-14, 10:49 am
Bump

Instead of trying to describe it to best give insight to the position, what I will simply recommend is doing block pulls sumo (4" blocks) to build the perfect start position and power. To build over all erector strength in a rounded position I recommend doing conventional deficits deadlifts with a 3-4" deficit. This will fix the problem for you

Chaosmatt
06-26-14, 4:55 pm
Hi dan, I want to start training for powerlifting. A bit of background to me. I have been training for bodybuilding for around 6 years however I am at a point in my life where I cannot maintain the bodybuilding diet. The plan I have started this week is, and I'm hoping you could critique.

Monday - back squat and flat bench - work up to 1 rep at 95%+
Leg press - 3x5,press from a racked position (to apply max effort at the point I am weakest in the squat)
Incline barbell bench - 3x5
Leg extensions 3x8,6,4
Incline db flies 1-2x6

Tuesday - conventional dead lifts - work up to 1rep at 95%+
Military press 3x3
Bent over rows 3x6
Db shoulder press 3x4
Pull ups - 3x6 (dead hang) fast concentric and slow eccentric
Superset with
Barbell underhand front raises 3x12

Wednesday - rest

Thursday - back squats and flat bench 3x5 80%+
Front squats 3x5
Incline db press - (1 - 2 second pause fast concentric) 3xto fail. (The dumbells at my gym aren't very heavy!)
Leg press - 2x5 same as previous

Friday - sumo dead lifts - 3x5 80%+
Db shoulder press - 3x5 paused reps.
Rack pulls 3x5
Dumbbell front raises 3x12
Superset with
Bent over dumbbell rows 3x6

Saturday - rest

Sunday - rest

Not a conventional programme however a damn site lower volume than I have been using. Mentally I need to do 4 days. Could you give me a bit of critique on this. If its no good could you suggest a good 4 day split that can be done two on one off two on two off?

Thanks for taking the time to read dan

BOSS
06-27-14, 2:04 pm
Hi dan, I want to start training for powerlifting. A bit of background to me. I have been training for bodybuilding for around 6 years however I am at a point in my life where I cannot maintain the bodybuilding diet. The plan I have started this week is, and I'm hoping you could critique.

Monday - back squat and flat bench - work up to 1 rep at 95%+
Leg press - 3x5,press from a racked position (to apply max effort at the point I am weakest in the squat)
Incline barbell bench - 3x5
Leg extensions 3x8,6,4
Incline db flies 1-2x6

Tuesday - conventional dead lifts - work up to 1rep at 95%+
Military press 3x3
Bent over rows 3x6
Db shoulder press 3x4
Pull ups - 3x6 (dead hang) fast concentric and slow eccentric
Superset with
Barbell underhand front raises 3x12

Wednesday - rest

Thursday - back squats and flat bench 3x5 80%+
Front squats 3x5
Incline db press - (1 - 2 second pause fast concentric) 3xto fail. (The dumbells at my gym aren't very heavy!)
Leg press - 2x5 same as previous

Friday - sumo dead lifts - 3x5 80%+
Db shoulder press - 3x5 paused reps.
Rack pulls 3x5
Dumbbell front raises 3x12
Superset with
Bent over dumbbell rows 3x6

Saturday - rest

Sunday - rest

Not a conventional programme however a damn site lower volume than I have been using. Mentally I need to do 4 days. Could you give me a bit of critique on this. If its no good could you suggest a good 4 day split that can be done two on one off two on two off?

Thanks for taking the time to read dan

I've never really followed a program that looks anything like this but that doesn't mean it's right or wrong. What I will say is I'm not a fan of leg press too much, but I like to work the weakness in the squat with paused high bar squats (paused at the bottom of course). FOr the light DB problem you could attach a mini band under the bench that will add to the db weights in each hand, that can work. I'd also be concerned that you barely have any benching in there whatsoever...

Chaosmatt
06-27-14, 4:52 pm
I've never really followed a program that looks anything like this but that doesn't mean it's right or wrong. What I will say is I'm not a fan of leg press too much, but I like to work the weakness in the squat with paused high bar squats (paused at the bottom of course). FOr the light DB problem you could attach a mini band under the bench that will add to the db weights in each hand, that can work. I'd also be concerned that you barely have any benching in there whatsoever...

Can I just say what an honour it is to get in contact and thank you for taking the time to reply. I've tried this programme this week and it is unlike anything I have ever done. The CNS fatigue is immense (having two young children who wont sleep through the night doesnt help!) I completely forgot about paused squats! I will add them in, in place of the leg press. My gym doesn't have any bands and I'm not in a position to purchase one.... Back to the barbell it is.

As for the benching. In this programme I wanted to do the big three each twice a week with accessories. Would you suggest more flat benching than twice a week?

Also if your willing, how would you set up a mesocycle? As in, where would you place a speed cycle in relation to a max cycle? If that makes sense?

Just being nosey really. Do you intentionally stay lean for performance or are you an ecto-meso?

Thanks for the help dan.

BOSS
06-27-14, 6:30 pm
Can I just say what an honour it is to get in contact and thank you for taking the time to reply. I've tried this programme this week and it is unlike anything I have ever done. The CNS fatigue is immense (having two young children who wont sleep through the night doesnt help!) I completely forgot about paused squats! I will add them in, in place of the leg press. My gym doesn't have any bands and I'm not in a position to purchase one.... Back to the barbell it is.

As for the benching. In this programme I wanted to do the big three each twice a week with accessories. Would you suggest more flat benching than twice a week?

Also if your willing, how would you set up a mesocycle? As in, where would you place a speed cycle in relation to a max cycle? If that makes sense?

Just being nosey really. Do you intentionally stay lean for performance or are you an ecto-meso?

Thanks for the help dan.

I'd recommend twice a week flat bench, but once can work with more volume. I only try to stay lean when I'm preparing to stay light enough to make a certain weight class. I doubt if I have an ectomorph bone in my body. I gain weight very quickly as I eat voraciously. As for speed and max cycles, I really don't do anything like that at all. I pretty much follow a linear progression in training. Maxing is simply what I'm doing at the meet! I like paused squats and paused wide-grip bench to work on being explosive so in that sense I include speed work in every training week

gopinto
06-27-14, 7:11 pm
Hi Daniel.

Love the material that you put online.
The material and your suggestions are helping me to obtain some progress.
I just did 405x5reps sumo !

If possible, can you, pls, point out some of the mistakes on my squat ?
This is the link: http://www.coachseye.com/v/qrVN
Here, I do 185 for 5 reps. Thanks a lot.

I visited you and Mike at BBBC once !

Best !
Guilherme

Chaosmatt
06-28-14, 11:22 am
I'd recommend twice a week flat bench, but once can work with more volume. I only try to stay lean when I'm preparing to stay light enough to make a certain weight class. I doubt if I have an ectomorph bone in my body. I gain weight very quickly as I eat voraciously. As for speed and max cycles, I really don't do anything like that at all. I pretty much follow a linear progression in training. Maxing is simply what I'm doing at the meet! I like paused squats and paused wide-grip bench to work on being explosive so in that sense I include speed work in every training week

Very helpful and informative.

Will make the changes accordingly.

Thanks

Feed Me More
06-28-14, 3:57 pm
Hey Dan,

First off all thank you so much for taking time to answer all of our questions. Second I'd like to see if you have some advice for me.

I've been pulling sumo for almost two years now, and it's definitely stronger for me and a better lift than conventional. I've been prepping for a meet in mid July and it's my first full meet. I had never experienced any issue with my speed off of the floor in my sumo until now, with having been doing way more intense squat work than I had been used to in the past. My squat is going through the roof but my deadlift has suffered because of the extra stress on my hips. My lockout is not the issue at all, it's the initial pull off the floor. Any particular accessory lift or suggestions to improve this? My second question is pertaining to using knee sleeves in deadlifting, I've never tried this, however the federation I'm competing in allows their use. Would love to hear you input, thanks so much!

Chopsor
06-28-14, 9:10 pm
Hi Dan ,
My question is if there are any ab exercises you do or you would
recommend a novice powerlifter(5 1/2 months trainig).
I do every exercise i can standing and if possible without a
Belt but my abs don't seem to get stronger , especially my "side abs"
(dont know the real name in englisch)

BOSS
06-29-14, 12:57 pm
Hey Dan,

First off all thank you so much for taking time to answer all of our questions. Second I'd like to see if you have some advice for me.

I've been pulling sumo for almost two years now, and it's definitely stronger for me and a better lift than conventional. I've been prepping for a meet in mid July and it's my first full meet. I had never experienced any issue with my speed off of the floor in my sumo until now, with having been doing way more intense squat work than I had been used to in the past. My squat is going through the roof but my deadlift has suffered because of the extra stress on my hips. My lockout is not the issue at all, it's the initial pull off the floor. Any particular accessory lift or suggestions to improve this? My second question is pertaining to using knee sleeves in deadlifting, I've never tried this, however the federation I'm competing in allows their use. Would love to hear you input, thanks so much!

Knee sleeves are only going to be a preference not a real difference maker. What I do for building strength off the floor is basically block pulls to build the hip strength and front squats to build the leg drive and upper back strength. That's really about it. And yeah if you're experiencing too much stress then you'll just have to find a balance with how much you squat and pull and how much you pull sumo/conventional

BOSS
06-29-14, 1:00 pm
Hi Dan ,
My question is if there are any ab exercises you do or you would
recommend a novice powerlifter(5 1/2 months trainig).
I do every exercise i can standing and if possible without a
Belt but my abs don't seem to get stronger , especially my "side abs"
(dont know the real name in englisch)

I'm not really sure why those are your preferences but if you spend as much time as you can pulling, benching squatting, pressing overhead and also front squatting and focusing on using as perfect of technique as you can that will set you up for as much sustainable progress as possible. Use a belt on heavy sets, you'll get stronger that way--With it on AND with it off. The belt makes you stronger not weaker unless you never take it off.

jaredmcase
07-01-14, 10:10 pm
Knee sleeves are only going to be a preference not a real difference maker. What I do for building strength off the floor is basically block pulls to build the hip strength and front squats to build the leg drive and upper back strength. That's really about it. And yeah if you're experiencing too much stress then you'll just have to find a balance with how much you squat and pull and how much you pull sumo/conventional

I was going to ask why you rack pull so often, but I think you answered it...for hip strength. I had thought that rack pulls were basically useless for raw lifters, but you believe they are viable for a raw lifter? I also deadlift sumo and am weakest off the floor. Lock out is never an issue, yet. Do you recommend rack pulls for all raw lifters or only where lockout is an issue? Also how often do you do them and do you do them in place of deadlifts?

BOSS
07-02-14, 11:58 am
I was going to ask why you rack pull so often, but I think you answered it...for hip strength. I had thought that rack pulls were basically useless for raw lifters, but you believe they are viable for a raw lifter? I also deadlift sumo and am weakest off the floor. Lock out is never an issue, yet. Do you recommend rack pulls for all raw lifters or only where lockout is an issue? Also how often do you do them and do you do them in place of deadlifts?

Rack pulls aren't really for the lockout... They're for building strength in the hips specifically to move weights off the floor. Lockout strength is more easily improved with lots of rowing and deficit deadlifts... a bit counter-intuitive maybe but that's what it is

Shimon
07-02-14, 1:07 pm
Hi Dan,

I've started powerlifting in January 2014. Here's my weekly routine:
Sunday: Chest
Monday: Arms
Tuesday: Legs
Wednesday: Rest day
Thursday: Shoulders
Friday: Back
Sat: Rest Day

I'm stuck at a plateau. I bench press 200lbs. Bodyweight is: 180lbs.
Currently, I'm doing one major lift (example for Chest Day: Bench Press 5x5, and 2 accessory exercises (PushUps (200), Bench Flyes (4x10). The training session takes under 1 hour.

Would you recommend me alternating every other week: a heavy week, and then a lighter week (higher reps)? For example a 10x10 for each of the compound movements?

Mr.Future11
07-04-14, 12:43 pm
It may have been asked but what is the difference between squat with the having the bar high and having the bar low? is it just preference? or does that help work different muscle?

NickySkins
07-04-14, 7:08 pm
Hi Dan!

What do you recommend for building upper back strength for deadlifting?

Feed Me More
07-06-14, 10:46 pm

Thanks so much Dan! Am definitely going to incorporate block pulls in my training cycles, training for meets and offseason!

Penetralia
07-07-14, 11:06 am
hey dan! I am new here, so excited to communicate with such a great lifter like u! I am chinese powerlifting hobbyist,i wish u can understand me,i will try my best to make my expression clear and i will appreciate that u can help me, i have a problem now that my deadlift(the normal way) is so wrong, i can not keep my back straight,my upper back always arched and i also lean my body when training heavy weight squat(low bar),`cause i can not locking my back ,so what do u think is the best way to improve the upper back`strength? thank u dan!

MR. C
07-07-14, 1:52 pm
What an honor to talk with the great Dan Green!
I have a question. Do you so any type of cardio?

Fry!
07-07-14, 5:28 pm
Well, every Powerlifter changes his weightclass, most powerlifters change their weightclass and also somethimes the belt(like inzer) becomes to tiny. or if the powerlifters looses weight, than the belt get's to big and no hole fits.

To shorten the question: did you drill another, additional holes in your belt?

Roy03
07-07-14, 6:02 pm
This has probably been answered already but I have to ask. Would you recommend doing accessory training like arms or calves if I have only been training for strength for about 2 years? For example, I noticed that my arms grow with the rest of my body but should I do some isolation too? And how many times a week? Thx

BOSS
07-07-14, 9:10 pm
Well, every Powerlifter changes his weightclass, most powerlifters change their weightclass and also somethimes the belt(like inzer) becomes to tiny. or if the powerlifters looses weight, than the belt get's to big and no hole fits.

To shorten the question: did you drill another, additional holes in your belt?

ummm no my belt still has plenty of notches lol... at least 2 more either direction from the lightest and heaviest I've ever been

BOSS
07-07-14, 9:12 pm
This has probably been answered already but I have to ask. Would you recommend doing accessory training like arms or calves if I have only been training for strength for about 2 years? For example, I noticed that my arms grow with the rest of my body but should I do some isolation too? And how many times a week? Thx

Well it could be pretty helpful for your bench to do some tricep stuff like skull crushers and french presses and doing some curls to build biceps is going to be helpful in stabilizing your bench.
Is it necessary? I don't know. Eventually it probably will be but I'd recommend training them before they become a problem

BOSS
07-07-14, 9:13 pm
What an honor to talk with the great Dan Green!
I have a question. Do you so any type of cardio?

no just strictly lifting weights.

BOSS
07-07-14, 9:18 pm
Hi Dan,

I've started powerlifting in January 2014. Here's my weekly routine:
Sunday: Chest
Monday: Arms
Tuesday: Legs
Wednesday: Rest day
Thursday: Shoulders
Friday: Back
Sat: Rest Day

I'm stuck at a plateau. I bench press 200lbs. Bodyweight is: 180lbs.
Currently, I'm doing one major lift (example for Chest Day: Bench Press 5x5, and 2 accessory exercises (PushUps (200), Bench Flyes (4x10). The training session takes under 1 hour.

Would you recommend me alternating every other week: a heavy week, and then a lighter week (higher reps)? For example a 10x10 for each of the compound movements?

No as a beginner you're clearly not training enough. You should do the main lift 2-3x per week for each lift or swap one of those days for a relevant alternative like military press. The basic premise of starting strength is good for that. You'd also do well to do harder exercises for your accessory lifts like dips, close grip bench, military press, DB Benches, Deficit deadlifts, stiff leg deadlifts, front squats, high bar squats, lunges, or barbell rows, pull ups, and curls...

MR. C
07-07-14, 9:24 pm
Do you do Inclines?

BOSS
07-07-14, 9:52 pm
It may have been asked but what is the difference between squat with the having the bar high and having the bar low? is it just preference? or does that help work different muscle?

High bar is with the bar sitting on the upper traps so you may keep your torso upright. Generally these are done with a close-medium stance so the power is primarily from the quads and glutes. The ROM should be full-depth. These are great for developing huge quads and more power to drive upward in a squat.

Low bar is with the bar sitting lower on the traps and rear delts. It allows you to lean forward and utilize your lower back strength more effectively to simply move more weight with more body parts. a medium-wide stance also allows for maximum use of the hips, glutes and adductors. By distributing the weight out on more muscles and generally only squatting past parallel the low bar squat allows you to move more weight, so it's preferable in competition.

High bar is great for building muscle and power as an assistance lift for low bar squats, so I train both.

BOSS
07-07-14, 9:54 pm
Hi Dan!

What do you recommend for building upper back strength for deadlifting?

all varieties of rows are great. Hang cleans and front squats are also fantastic for the upper erectors and traps.

BOSS
07-07-14, 9:55 pm
hey dan! I am new here, so excited to communicate with such a great lifter like u! I am chinese powerlifting hobbyist,i wish u can understand me,i will try my best to make my expression clear and i will appreciate that u can help me, i have a problem now that my deadlift(the normal way) is so wrong, i can not keep my back straight,my upper back always arched and i also lean my body when training heavy weight squat(low bar),`cause i can not locking my back ,so what do u think is the best way to improve the upper back`strength? thank u dan!

If you lack flexibility then you need to stretch the hamstrings and calves. Other than that you just need to practice before increasing the weights

Penetralia
07-08-14, 12:22 am
If you lack flexibility then you need to stretch the hamstrings and calves. Other than that you just need to practice before increasing the weights

i saw ur deadlift training video with mark bell, i remember that u lifted 320 kilos for 3 reps with a backing plate below your foot which was amazing `cause u can avoid the arch of ur back even if the bar was so low for u, but for me i can not even keep the right preparatory posture, i think u r right about my flexibility and i also think that my hip and hamstring are lack of strength, thx dan, wish u can gain breakthrough soon!

MR. C
07-08-14, 2:02 pm
Here's a question for you Dan. Do u recommend doing deadlifts and front squats on the same day?

BOSS
07-09-14, 1:10 am
Here's a question for you Dan. Do u recommend doing deadlifts and front squats on the same day?

You CAN... but for me Front Squats give me two things: first they build mass in the quads and that, in the long run, will allow you to continually get stronger year in and year out. Second they make you strong in the upper back and quads which is perfect for the type of power a sumo deadlifter requires. And for me, they are so important that I choose to train them on their own day as I don't want to simply pay lip service to the idea that they're prioritized. Because I know that if they go up, then so will my squat and dead, and therefore so will my total. And if you consider that your total hinges about 80% on your squat and deadlift then building your quads is going to dramatically increase your total... Quads are THE most important muscle for your total. Everything else provides leverage, or the ability to multiply and channel the power you can generate, but your quads are the prime generator of power in the dead and the squat... pretty straightforward

BOSS
07-09-14, 1:12 am
i saw ur deadlift training video with mark bell, i remember that u lifted 320 kilos for 3 reps with a backing plate below your foot which was amazing `cause u can avoid the arch of ur back even if the bar was so low for u, but for me i can not even keep the right preparatory posture, i think u r right about my flexibility and i also think that my hip and hamstring are lack of strength, thx dan, wish u can gain breakthrough soon!

The best exercise to work on the hamstring flexibility/strength while locking your back is the Romanian Deadlift. Do yourself a favor and look it up! I'd do them twice per week after squats and on your deadlift day. Higher reps at first like 8-10, but then once you're more flexible and proficient the reps should drop to sets of 6-8 or even sets of 5

MR. C
07-09-14, 7:00 am
You CAN... but for me Front Squats give me two things: first they build mass in the quads and that, in the long run, will allow you to continually get stronger year in and year out. Second they make you strong in the upper back and quads which is perfect for the type of power a sumo deadlifter requires. And for me, they are so important that I choose to train them on their own day as I don't want to simply pay lip service to the idea that they're prioritized. Because I know that if they go up, then so will my squat and dead, and therefore so will my total. And if you consider that your total hinges about 80% on your squat and deadlift then building your quads is going to dramatically increase your total... Quads are THE most important muscle for your total. Everything else provides leverage, or the ability to multiply and channel the power you can generate, but your quads are the prime generator of power in the dead and the squat... pretty straightforward

Thank you for the great info.

Zac'BOSS
07-10-14, 6:26 am
Hi dan,

I'm a french teenage powerlifter and i'm on off-season period

In this off-season period i pause many questions of my approach of training, of my template, of my approach of powerlifting mentality

I doubt a lot... And i think that you could answer has my questions.

1° )
In a first time i thought that if i make my training with they lift on i've a better ease, it would be best for me...

Recently i lifted on low bar squat w/narrow stance and I did not move forward knees, on deadlift i choice a conv. dead w/rounded back because i'm more strong like that.

On Bench I was on closegrip and i switch on narrow grip(pinkie) and finaly with the same grip of you... But with my morphology i thought that i become more strong and that i shall have a bigger potential on wide grip(max grip) and maximal arched back on the bench.
I was'nt more ease on wide grip but i worked on this new position and in five week i win 22 ~ 33 lbs on my bench (i'm drug free).
And i think that i am very far going to go with this new bench !

This " event " of my bench press me made question my squat and my deadlift.

Yesterday i've try of make a squat like you (Wide stance, move forward knees and come down in a straight line) because i've thighbones rather length by report has my torso... But I have less strength in this position and I feel not speed. On the other hand I have the impression that this new squat technique suit better has my morphology (I break faster the parallel )

On the deadlift i've try several times of switch on sumo dl but i've not a mobility and a strength in my hips and feeders... And as i am not patient and that i want at once the strength, i return of conv. dead w/ rounded back.
I've impression that the potential of sumo for a guy like me ( length thighbones with compared with the torso and the arm neither very long or very short ) is more big and will lead me farther.

Honestly i am a little lost... If it was not the case, I shall not ask for the opinion of the BOSS !

What's to be done Dan ? Continue has to satisfy my égo with conv. dead and with the squat form or i am most has the ease ?
Or i puts my fucking égo a side and quits has to lower the weights some times i switch seriously on " your " squat form and switching on sumo dl ?

2°)
If i switch on sumo dl if i have no mobility what do you think of make a bloc pull and extra wide stance sumo with light/medium weight ?

3°)
I make a plan (i was inspired a lot by you) and I shall like knowing of what you think of it !

Day 1 - PL Squat, Oly pause squat beltless, stiff legged deficit deads

Day 2 - Heavy Bench, Overload slingshot, CGBP

Day 3 - Front Squats, PL Squat medium(to build my technique) + weighted crunch or plank

Day 4 - Medium Bench, OHP

Day 5 - DL Party(Sumo bloc pull, deficit conv dead, extra wide stance sumo, stiff legged dead) + rows & pull-up

Day 6 - Medium Bench, Buffalo bar extra wide grip pause bench, EZ Bar curl

Day 7 - Rest and mobility

Repeat

I plan a simple and linear progression, i add a weight or reps has every training..
That think ?

I put lot of time has to write this message, i speak and write a very bad english and i am sorry... I hope that you will take time to read and to understand my message. Thank you dan !

You continue has to progress as make him are enormously inspired to me !

thesecondrei
07-11-14, 1:26 am
Do you have a specific set/rep scheme you recommend for the overhead press? My goal is to get stronger and bigger shoulders as I found the overhead press has good carryover to my bench strength.

John Grey
07-11-14, 10:17 am
If I made a trip out to California would I be able to pop in and train with you/pick your brain one day? Obviously a trip wouldn't be for a year or so seeing as I am in Pennsylvania, but just been curious about it.

Fry!
07-11-14, 3:01 pm
Just some appreciation for the boss of bosses.

I'm happy to see you competing against Zahir, and i was very pleased, when i did read, that you will compete in the GPA meet.
Even without judging Zahir Khudayarov, i hope it will be a great game, meet and another victory in australia for the boss.

BOSS
07-11-14, 3:22 pm
Do you have a specific set/rep scheme you recommend for the overhead press? My goal is to get stronger and bigger shoulders as I found the overhead press has good carryover to my bench strength.

Sure for shoulders I like either barbell military following a 531 protocol first and then at about 15% lighter another 3 sets of 7-10 reps, plus another 1-2 max rep back down sets after that... so basically heavy then the bodybuilder rep areas... always end with laterals and lots of them.
The other exercise I prefer is seated DB presses... these are fantastic. Do sets of 10 until you end with a single digit set, then lower the weight to a weight you can get 3-4 sets of 10-14 reps... Finish on laterals again 3-4 sets 12-20 reps usually
The third thing would be behind the neck presses which I treat the same as military presses...

BOSS
07-11-14, 3:23 pm
Just some appreciation for the boss of bosses.

I'm happy to see you competing against Zahir, and i was very pleased, when i did read, that you will compete in the GPA meet.
Even without judging Zahir Khudayarov, i hope it will be a great game, meet and another victory in australia for the boss.

Zahir's been one of my favorite lifters since 2010 when I met him... He's a great lifter and I can't wait to compete with him... and I think a lot of people are excited to see this!

BOSS
07-11-14, 3:24 pm
If I made a trip out to California would I be able to pop in and train with you/pick your brain one day? Obviously a trip wouldn't be for a year or so seeing as I am in Pennsylvania, but just been curious about it.

You can certainly come out and train at the gym. I can only guarantee that I'll be there when you are if you come in during certain hours or if you wanted to i can meet you for personal training sessions

thesecondrei
07-11-14, 11:24 pm
Hmm...so for military press I plan on working up to one heavy set of 5, then dropping the weight and doing 3 sets of 8-10 reps...does this look okay for strength and shoulder size?