PDA

View Full Version : Questions. Answers. Partying with BOSS... Dan Green

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

BOSS
12-08-12, 4:12 am
Not everyone has necessarily seen my bio, but I am a powerlifter. At a bodyweight of 220 and have squatted 760, benched 485 and deadlifted 821 in competition with a best total of 2030 without squatting in knee wraps. Despite these achievements, I am possibly most proud of the fact that I've been accused of looking like "the guy in The Program." Yes, that was an exciting compliment.

Aside from lifting for strength, I also am firmly opposed to skinniness and ILS.

Ask me anything--powerlifting technique, olympic lifting, eating, hair-growing or whatever.

MikeNice
12-08-12, 2:34 pm
For any novices that might stumble through, where do you suggest beginners turn to learn about the basics of power lifting? What sources do you think give the most insight on proper diet, programs, and form?

MikeNice
12-08-12, 2:47 pm
For those unaware of the "Program" reference.

www.deliberationroom.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/Steve-Lattimer.jpg

BOSS
12-08-12, 5:48 pm
For any novices that might stumble through, where do you suggest beginners turn to learn about the basics of power lifting? What sources do you think give the most insight on proper diet, programs, and form?

For true novices I like the explanations of technique given in Mark Rippetoe's book Starting Strength. As you gain experience with the techniques I think Wendler's 5/3/1 really has a lot to offer for an intermediate lifter.
If you want a bit more, you can't beat training under the watchful eye of an experienced lifter. Find a PL gym or club. I can't stress enough how many years I trained with bad form because I taught myself every step of the way! I was lucky to never sustain a career altering injury, but now as an experienced lifter I can't stress enough how much proper technique makes all the difference in my training.
My personal suggestion on form is to stick to a limited number of exercises and really get a lot of training time on them.
I like high bar, low bar and front squats. Power cleans, hang cleans, military and push pressing, bench press, DB pressing, deadlifts, sumo deadlifts, rows, pullups and barbell curls and you can get huge for a long long time.
As for nutrition I'm really not sure what I'd recommend for a beginner. Just eat! Get proteins fats and carbs in your diets in a relative balance and try to eat non processed as much as possible. Protein and creatine are the most basic supps I'd start with

Adrenaline
12-09-12, 4:11 pm
Big D welcome aboard homey! You're a freak and will fit in pretty damn good around here. How often are you training heavy your deadlift & squat? Any dynamic effort days? PS i see you like rap, recommend me some good tunes to listen to. Thanks,
Zack

deanna7272
12-09-12, 4:50 pm
Hmmmm.... I may just take you up on that hair growing info...lol.

Welcome to the Pak, Dan...

BOSS
12-10-12, 1:08 am
Big D welcome aboard homey! You're a freak and will fit in pretty damn good around here. How often are you training heavy your deadlift & squat? Any dynamic effort days? PS i see you like rap, recommend me some good tunes to listen to. Thanks,
Zack

Normally I squat heavy Mon/Wed and pull Fri. Sometimes I'll also pull after squats on Mon and sometimes I'll do hack squats after deads Fri... Fav split is Monday squat heavy, Wednesday front squat 3x5-8, Friday deadlift. I don't do any speed work... But then that's kinda what I focus on in my warmup sets--does that count? Lol

Listen to Too Shorts albums: Cocktales and Get In Where You Fit In... One of my favorite lines is from the track called Paystyle... "some say my rap's too slow but it bought these diamonds..."

BOSS
12-10-12, 1:10 am
Hmmmm.... I may just take you up on that hair growing info...lol.

Welcome to the Pak, Dan...

Yup I know lifters like the shaved head look but I like rocking the hair!

MikeNice
12-10-12, 7:06 am
Listen to Too Shorts albums: Cocktales and Get In Where You Fit In... One of my favorite lines is from the track called Paystyle... "some say my rap's too slow but it bought these diamonds..."

I remember my brother driving me to school with those cassettes rocking in his '74 Nova. They actually told him he couldn't bring me to school any more.

BOSS
12-11-12, 5:17 am
I remember my brother driving me to school with those cassettes rocking in his '74 Nova. They actually told him he couldn't bring me to school any more.

haha awesome

Universal Rep
12-11-12, 11:31 am
Aside from lifting for strength, I also am firmly opposed to skinniness and ILS.

Ask me anything--powerlifting technique, olympic lifting, eating, hair-growing or whatever.

I like wut ya stand for. It's time to start a movement...

Any plans to cut the hair? Any plans to combine the hair with a massive beard?

G Diesel
12-11-12, 12:37 pm

Makes sense he likes the West Coast hip hop. E-40 and DJ Quik too? Haha.

Peace, G

BOSS
12-11-12, 12:37 pm
I like wut ya stand for. It's time to start a movement...

Any plans to cut the hair? Any plans to combine the hair with a massive beard?

Not yet, I'm keeping mine till my son gets rid of his at least. He's almost two and hasn't gotten his cut. His is curly so he's got a big old fro. Can't let him beat me at hair growing lol. But yeah I might have to step up the facial hair game.

BOSS
12-11-12, 12:40 pm
Makes sense he likes the West Coast hip hop. E-40 and DJ Quik too? Haha.

Peace, G

Not really actually, I still like the old Snoop and Dre stuff but now they're all hollywood anyway. I really like Three 6 Mafia, old Master P... only the most high quality of rap haha

G Diesel
12-11-12, 12:45 pm
Not really actually, I still like the old Snoop and Dre stuff but now they're all hollywood anyway. I really like Three 6 Mafia, old Master P... only the most high quality of rap haha

I respect that man. I'm more of an East Coast 90s rap guy, but there are classics from all over the map. UGK, Outkast, Pharcyde, Alkaholiks, etc.

Good to find a fellow hip hop head.

Peace, G

MikeNice
12-11-12, 1:19 pm

Hold up, Too Short but not DJ Quik? Quik was one of the sickest producers on the west coast. Even if his lyrics weren't great the beats made the music great.

I can't say much though. I was lifting to Slaughterhouse today. It ain't exactly intellectual music.

MikeNice
12-11-12, 1:31 pm
Why does this thread have me listening to M.O.P and wanting to order an oversized Animal hoody?

BaconGrease
12-12-12, 10:41 am
Did you do anything in specific to improve your flexibility and hip strength in order to be able to pull the way you do?

Universal Rep
12-12-12, 11:18 am
Not yet, I'm keeping mine till my son gets rid of his at least. He's almost two and hasn't gotten his cut. His is curly so he's got a big old fro. Can't let him beat me at hair growing lol. But yeah I might have to step up the facial hair game.

Nice... Any prominent PLers sportin a big beard with big hair???

C.Coronato
12-13-12, 10:08 am
Hell ya. Ill certainly be following along and picking your brain from time to time. I follow my own sort of PL program and I compete in both BB and PL. You're an inspiration homie, keep doing what you do.

BOSS
12-13-12, 4:22 pm
I respect that man. I'm more of an East Coast 90s rap guy, but there are classics from all over the map. UGK, Outkast, Pharcyde, Alkaholiks, etc.

Good to find a fellow hip hop head.

Peace, G

That's cool. I did like DMX method man and redman for a while.

BOSS
12-13-12, 4:56 pm
Did you do anything in specific to improve your flexibility and hip strength in order to be able to pull the way you do?

Well standard stretching helps to build a good passive ROM in the hips. Stretches like squatting wide with your elbows pushing the knees open. But to build the strength to actually pull that way the best is absolutely putting the weights on 4" blocks and working heavy sets of 3-5 reps. This builds the strength to press the hips open wide and strain through a heavy pull.

BOSS
12-13-12, 5:03 pm
Hell ya. Ill certainly be following along and picking your brain from time to time. I follow my own sort of PL program and I compete in both BB and PL. You're an inspiration homie, keep doing what you do.

Thanks for that. What sort of PL program do you follow?

BaconGrease
12-15-12, 2:26 am
Well standard stretching helps to build a good passive ROM in the hips. Stretches like squatting wide with your elbows pushing the knees open. But to build the strength to actually pull that way the best is absolutely putting the weights on 4" blocks and working heavy sets of 3-5 reps. This builds the strength to press the hips open wide and strain through a heavy pull.

Cool! Thanks for answering and keep on doing what you're doing. You're an inspiration man.

Adrenaline
12-22-12, 5:23 pm
Dan when I front squat (arms crossed), the barbell has a tendency to roll forward. Any tips for keeping the elbows up (flexiblity, mobility, stretches, etc?) Thanks my man

BOSS
12-22-12, 7:51 pm
Dan when I front squat (arms crossed), the barbell has a tendency to roll forward. Any tips for keeping the elbows up (flexiblity, mobility, stretches, etc?) Thanks my man

Flexibility is a big part of front squatting, but more for how low you can squat while maintaining an upright posture. This requires lots of hip flexibility. I like to basically sit or kinda double and triple bounce at the bottom while I'm warming up with 1 plate on the bar. Sit at the bottom and really arch my back hard.
Front squats should require a lot of upper back strength in the traps and erectors, which will come from doing them! keep the weights a little lower and just focus on staying upright with the chest up and letting the legs do all the work.
If you're legs or upper back aren't strong enough the bar usually does start to roll forward because the hips want to shoot back for leverage. Fight to keep your hips from sitting back on the way down or shooting back on the way up.
Lastly, make sure the bar's in the proper position--all the way back against your neck, push your shoulders as far forward as you can and shrug them up into the weight.
Good luck!

Castro15
01-04-13, 8:19 pm
Obviously, this is a body building site/company. However, I recently took up bodybuilding at the age of 17. Now, entering my final stretch in high school, I decided to give powerlifting a go. My coach has been telling me that with my brute strength and raw strength combined with the help from a few suits, he can feasibly see me winning at State. I'm not worried about the bench shirt nor the squat suits or any of that. I was just trying to figure out more information about deadlift. That's the one main lift I struggle in. I pull sumo (and squat with a shoulder width stance) and I heard it would be best to buy a separate DL suit and not use the squat suit for sumo, however, I've read into it and numerous websites have said that it was okay to use the squat suit for DL as the support from the suit itself would carry over. is this true? if there are any other powrlifters out there please voice your opinion, please. Thanks, take care, and train hard.

Marco

BOSS
01-05-13, 10:54 pm
Obviously, this is a body building site/company. However, I recently took up bodybuilding at the age of 17. Now, entering my final stretch in high school, I decided to give powerlifting a go. My coach has been telling me that with my brute strength and raw strength combined with the help from a few suits, he can feasibly see me winning at State. I'm not worried about the bench shirt nor the squat suits or any of that. I was just trying to figure out more information about deadlift. That's the one main lift I struggle in. I pull sumo (and squat with a shoulder width stance) and I heard it would be best to buy a separate DL suit and not use the squat suit for sumo, however, I've read into it and numerous websites have said that it was okay to use the squat suit for DL as the support from the suit itself would carry over. is this true? if there are any other powrlifters out there please voice your opinion, please. Thanks, take care, and train hard.

Marco

I've never used a suit on any lift so I'm really not the best person to ask here. I'm sure it just depends though as I've heard the same as what you've just said

Solid Dreams
01-06-13, 12:29 am
Hey Dan, do you do any hip mobility exercises? I want to get my front squat much higher (I feel like this would have a lot of carry over with bbing, and I'm much less likely to injure my back) but not sure how to go about really working it. I can do 315, but obviously I want to be able to rep that! I usually drop it before my legs give out, was hoping you could give me some tips to strengthen up that part. (I hunch forward like you said).

BOSS
01-06-13, 12:39 am
Hey Dan, do you do any hip mobility exercises? I want to get my front squat much higher (I feel like this would have a lot of carry over with bbing, and I'm much less likely to injure my back) but not sure how to go about really working it. I can do 315, but obviously I want to be able to rep that! I usually drop it before my legs give out, was hoping you could give me some tips to strengthen up that part. (I hunch forward like you said).

just basically squatting down bw only and using my forearms to pry my hip open. On the warmup front squat sets I'll sit at the bottom and really tighten up my upper back (chest up) and flex my hips to use the extra weight to stretch against. that's about it for stretching.

Just try to focus on hitting 3 work sets of 5-8 reps and maybe a top single or double after that. work within yourself. build up a high volume training with weights that don't cause you to get too out of position in the upper body.

Aggression
01-11-13, 9:58 am
You and a few others seem to be a new breed of powerlifters; strong as hell but look like bodybuilders. What is a typical day's diet for you? Are you a 'bodybuilder' in the eating sense; clean protein/carbs? Do you load up with a heavier meal prior to certain training sessions? Do you have planned 'cheat meals' or do you just eat big when you feel its needed?

J-Dawg
01-11-13, 10:20 am
You and a few others seem to be a new breed of powerlifters; strong as hell but look like bodybuilders. What is a typical day's diet for you? Are you a 'bodybuilder' in the eating sense; clean protein/carbs? Do you load up with a heavier meal prior to certain training sessions? Do you have planned 'cheat meals' or do you just eat big when you feel its needed?

That's a good question A. Definitely curious to hear Dan's response on diet.

Universal Rep
01-11-13, 4:48 pm
That's a good question A. Definitely curious to hear Dan's response on diet.

+1

BOSS
01-12-13, 4:23 am

When I'm trying to stay or get down to my comp weight I will diet. My nutrition guy has me eat protein and low fat throughout the day. generally he wants me to only eat carbs right before my workouts, lots of sugar during the workouts and lots of carbs after. SInce I'm usually lifting at night it's no carbs throughout the day. Saturday is my rest day and that's no carbs and slightly higher protein. In reality, however, I'm perfectly happy starting the day with a big plate of scrambled eggs and chorizo plus toast with butter. Then I usually just follow his meal plan for the rest of the day but reduce the carbs and overall calories after lifting. Often I'm perfectly happy to only have a protein shake after lifting and go to bed a bit hungry. I do pretty well with my instinctive approach to dieting--low carbs and having periods of fasting, but if I'm very disciplined I follow his too. Begrudgingly I shoud add. But I know what weight I need to maintain to be able to make my weight class and that's my primary concern. Leaning out for the sake of leaning out is not part of it for me.

JacknCoke
01-18-13, 7:10 am
Hey Dan,
congratulations on your world record man you are a beast! I have a few training questions and i hope you can answer them:
1. For the bench you said that you use linear periodization to progress, what's your approach on squats and deadlifts?
2. Do you go heavy year-round?
3. Do you like push presses?

Universal Rep
01-18-13, 11:41 am
When I'm trying to stay or get down to my comp weight I will diet. My nutrition guy has me eat protein and low fat throughout the day. generally he wants me to only eat carbs right before my workouts, lots of sugar during the workouts and lots of carbs after. SInce I'm usually lifting at night it's no carbs throughout the day. Saturday is my rest day and that's no carbs and slightly higher protein. In reality, however, I'm perfectly happy starting the day with a big plate of scrambled eggs and chorizo plus toast with butter. Then I usually just follow his meal plan for the rest of the day but reduce the carbs and overall calories after lifting. Often I'm perfectly happy to only have a protein shake after lifting and go to bed a bit hungry. I do pretty well with my instinctive approach to dieting--low carbs and having periods of fasting, but if I'm very disciplined I follow his too. Begrudgingly I shoud add. But I know what weight I need to maintain to be able to make my weight class and that's my primary concern. Leaning out for the sake of leaning out is not part of it for me.

Would ya say ur dieting is influenced by bodybuildin-type diets?

Maccabee
01-19-13, 8:17 pm
Hey,

Would you please recommend weightlifting shoes that would be good for squats and deadlifts?

Thanks

BOSS
01-21-13, 2:35 pm
Hey Dan,
congratulations on your world record man you are a beast! I have a few training questions and i hope you can answer them:
1. For the bench you said that you use linear periodization to progress, what's your approach on squats and deadlifts?
2. Do you go heavy year-round?
3. Do you like push presses?

Thanks for that
1. For squats I hit 1-4 RMs every Monday. Wednesday I train front squats for 15-25 total reps at work weights
For deads I also go kinda linear but tend again to bounce around more in the 1-4RM range. I'll use block pulls and deficit pulls to work my weak areas. It is somewhat instinctive here.
2. Yes always heavy but in "off season" I switch to high bar squats and more front squats and pull conventional instead of sumo. So it keeps things fresh by training a different lift for a few months.
3. No. Military, seated DB press, and seated military in front and behind the neck. No push presses though

BOSS
01-21-13, 2:40 pm
Hey,

Would you please recommend weightlifting shoes that would be good for squats and deadlifts?

Thanks

For both? I squat in Adidas Power Perfects. They have a mild wedge. I pull in Asics Matflex wrestling shoes because they are very low profile and have good traction for my sumo stance. Some people like to squat in flat shoes and in that case you could both squat and deadlift in the same shoes. Chucks or wrestling shoes. But I wouldn't deadlift in squat shoes as the heel puts you too high on takes pressure off of the hamstrings

BOSS
01-21-13, 2:44 pm
Would ya say ur dieting is influenced by bodybuildin-type diets?

If my guy is writing my nutrition then yes. If it's me then I really don't know. What would you consider a bodybuilding diet? I like low carbs like many bodybuilders but I also eat a lot of carbs before I workout because feeling weak and flat at a workout is just unacceptable. I like a high fat breakfast like whole eggs bacon and sausage but I'll eat leaner meats throughout the remainder of the day if I'm trying to shed fat.

freighttraindane
01-21-13, 3:01 pm
Not sure if you can help me out at all on this problem since we are built completely different, but with my deadlift. I am having a bit of a problem getting a good grip with my left hand, because of the size of my gut (which i am working on daily, and I know that is not a problem you have) and the shortness of my arms, i seem to have to lift sumo style, but becuase of this i can't seem to keep my thumb around the bar and have to just use a thumbless grip, Any suggestions on how i should be working on this other than the obvious ab and cardio work (which I am doing daily) ?

BOSS
01-21-13, 3:33 pm
Not sure if you can help me out at all on this problem since we are built completely different, but with my deadlift. I am having a bit of a problem getting a good grip with my left hand, because of the size of my gut (which i am working on daily, and I know that is not a problem you have) and the shortness of my arms, i seem to have to lift sumo style, but becuase of this i can't seem to keep my thumb around the bar and have to just use a thumbless grip, Any suggestions on how i should be working on this other than the obvious ab and cardio work (which I am doing daily) ?

Not totally sure I follow... Is the left hand the over or the under? And can you not initially grip the bar or does your thumb come off as it brushes across your thigh? How does the gut factor in? Do you grip one hand first or both simultaneously? Is the bar deep in your palm or near your fingers? Where do you grip relative to the knurling/smooth?

freighttraindane
01-21-13, 3:45 pm
Not totally sure I follow... Is the left hand the over or the under? And can you not initially grip the bar or does your thumb come off as it brushes across your thigh? How does the gut factor in? Do you grip one hand first or both simultaneously? Is the bar deep in your palm or near your fingers? Where do you grip relative to the knurling/smooth?

Sorry terrible explanation of my problem. I grip left hand over, right hand under and I grip my right hand first. I am gripping a thumb length into the knurling. As i pull from the floor, my thumb comes off the bar and my left arm pulls the bar out away from my thigh.

The gut factors in when i try to pull conventional, my gut hits the tops of my thighs and I can't reach the bar when I squat down all the way without bending over at the waist and straightening my knees out more.

I am sure this explanation is not much better. if that is the case, just forget the question, sorry.

BOSS
01-21-13, 7:29 pm
Sorry terrible explanation of my problem. I grip left hand over, right hand under and I grip my right hand first. I am gripping a thumb length into the knurling. As i pull from the floor, my thumb comes off the bar and my left arm pulls the bar out away from my thigh.

The gut factors in when i try to pull conventional, my gut hits the tops of my thighs and I can't reach the bar when I squat down all the way without bending over at the waist and straightening my knees out more.

I am sure this explanation is not much better. if that is the case, just forget the question, sorry.

Ok well this gives me a bit better idea. Here are a couple of recommendations... not necessarily solutions but things to try that might be helpful:

For Sumo I would say your grip should be narrower. your left hand index finger and right hand pinky should be very close to the smooth part or maybe at the edge of the knurling or even on the smooth part. I grip lift under and right over. I grip right (over) first then left. Try switching the hand you grip first or try gripping both simultaneously. My problem with under grabbing first is there can be a tendency to over curl the wrist, which can't hold and will just hurt your grip. Also, back to grip width, a narrower hand placement will effectively make your arms longer so you won't need to bend as far to the bar--it sounds like you have a tough time reaching the bar already...

For conventional grip no more than 1" from the smooth part (thumbs distance in is about 2"). While you are still in the process of losing that weight that is impeding your mobility it is perfectly ok to pull with the weights elevated 2-6" from the floor and work your way down as your mobility/weight loss comes around. You can do this by deadlifting off the lowest pin(s) in a power rack or by crafting your own deadlift blocks out of wood (2 x 4s).

How does that sound?

freighttraindane
01-21-13, 8:49 pm
Yes that is a huge help, thank for your help

pushin weight
01-25-13, 4:35 pm
Dan what info would you need about me or my routine to give me advice on hitting my bench goal of 405, thanks in advance and glad to have your knowledge on board.

BOSS
01-25-13, 8:45 pm
Dan what info would you need about me or my routine to give me advice on hitting my bench goal of 405, thanks in advance and glad to have your knowledge on board.

probably should show me a video or two, tell me what your current best numbers are on bench and some other close variations you train and then what is your current programming like. The more info the better!

pushin weight
01-26-13, 1:29 pm
probably should show me a video or two, tell me what your current best numbers are on bench and some other close variations you train and then what is your current programming like. The more info the better!

I will get to you ASAP..THANKS!

pushin weight
01-26-13, 2:13 pm
I'll go ahead and give you as much info as i can. It will be next week before I can get a vid up( we hit chest on Friday).I am 35 years old,5'11'',205 lbs. My training goes like this
Mon-Back/ 5 sets chins/4-5 sets one arm dumbell rows/4-5 sets of deadlifts/seated lat rows or close grip seated rows

Tues-Shoulders/ 3 sets Arnold press to warm up/4-5 sets Seated dumbell press/4-5 sets seated side lateral raise/4-5 sets lying dumbell flys( for rear delts) usually end with a few high rep sets of barbell upright rows

Wed- Bi-tri/ 4-5 sets of barbell curls superset with seated overhead dumbell press/4-5 sets Seated hammer curls superset with close grip bench/4-5 sets concentration curls superset with rope presses

Thurs- Legs/ 4-5 sets Barbell squats( using a box just to hit below parallel) 4-5 sets hacksquats/ 4-5 sets seated calf raises( some times i may throw in some stiff legg deads or some leg ext. just depends on how i feel)

Friday-Chest/ 4-5 Sets flat bench/ 4-5 sets of some type of incline press( either barbell or hammer strength late loaded incline) 4-5 sets of some type of decline work and 3-5 sets of cable flys to finish

This is not always exactly the same as I will do different work depending on what I am feeling but its usually pretty close.I take Sat/Sun off

I only use a belt for heavy squats and deads. I have not incorporated a belt into my bench work so maybe I should you tell me. Here are my best numbers on the big three.

Flat bench-325 ( I pressed 275 x 7 as of this past Friday which is a PR for me as well)

Deadlift-455

Squat-405

My diet is pretty consistent.I eat pretty healthy during the week and allow my self some good stuff on the weekends. I take in t least 200 grams of protein a day.I usually
only have about 150 grams of carbs a day but once or twice a week I will carb load to get my head right..lol and I probably take in a normal amount of healthy fat.

Let me know what else I am missing. I am totally open to changing my game up as I have been doing this type of routine for almost 2 years.

Thanks again man!

Solid Dreams
01-26-13, 4:07 pm
Hey Dan.

Not so serious question. Growing hair, give me your tips. (If you've seen my FB, you'll know why.)

Also wanted to say, started doing what you said and front squats (and regular squats) have really gone up, so I really appreciate it.

BOSS
01-27-13, 12:09 pm
Hey Dan.

Not so serious question. Growing hair, give me your tips. (If you've seen my FB, you'll know why.)

Also wanted to say, started doing what you said and front squats (and regular squats) have really gone up, so I really appreciate it.

sounds good with the front squats. What are you up to on those? And what's your FB name?
For the hair growing it's all about commitment. The first several months suck cause your hair doesn't lay down it's at that intermediate length... stay commited!

Universal Rep
01-29-13, 11:25 am
If my guy is writing my nutrition then yes. If it's me then I really don't know. What would you consider a bodybuilding diet? I like low carbs like many bodybuilders but I also eat a lot of carbs before I workout because feeling weak and flat at a workout is just unacceptable. I like a high fat breakfast like whole eggs bacon and sausage but I'll eat leaner meats throughout the remainder of the day if I'm trying to shed fat.

Nuthin wrong with eggs, bacon and sausage for breakfast...

Solid Dreams
01-29-13, 1:05 pm
sounds good with the front squats. What are you up to on those? And what's your FB name?
For the hair growing it's all about commitment. The first several months suck cause your hair doesn't lay down it's at that intermediate length... stay commited!

I did 315 for 4, when before I always dumped 315. I'm Sean Hawkins. The joke being I'm losing my hair, haha

BOSS
01-29-13, 10:16 pm
I did 315 for 4, when before I always dumped 315. I'm Sean Hawkins. The joke being I'm losing my hair, haha

Sounds good Sean. And hey, if you're already losing the hair... no way you're cutting what's left!!

BOSS
01-29-13, 10:53 pm
I'll go ahead and give you as much info as i can. It will be next week before I can get a vid up( we hit chest on Friday).I am 35 years old,5'11'',205 lbs. My training goes like this
Mon-Back/ 5 sets chins/4-5 sets one arm dumbell rows/4-5 sets of deadlifts/seated lat rows or close grip seated rows

Tues-Shoulders/ 3 sets Arnold press to warm up/4-5 sets Seated dumbell press/4-5 sets seated side lateral raise/4-5 sets lying dumbell flys( for rear delts) usually end with a few high rep sets of barbell upright rows

Wed- Bi-tri/ 4-5 sets of barbell curls superset with seated overhead dumbell press/4-5 sets Seated hammer curls superset with close grip bench/4-5 sets concentration curls superset with rope presses

Thurs- Legs/ 4-5 sets Barbell squats( using a box just to hit below parallel) 4-5 sets hacksquats/ 4-5 sets seated calf raises( some times i may throw in some stiff legg deads or some leg ext. just depends on how i feel)

Friday-Chest/ 4-5 Sets flat bench/ 4-5 sets of some type of incline press( either barbell or hammer strength late loaded incline) 4-5 sets of some type of decline work and 3-5 sets of cable flys to finish

This is not always exactly the same as I will do different work depending on what I am feeling but its usually pretty close.I take Sat/Sun off

I only use a belt for heavy squats and deads. I have not incorporated a belt into my bench work so maybe I should you tell me. Here are my best numbers on the big three.

Flat bench-325 ( I pressed 275 x 7 as of this past Friday which is a PR for me as well)

Deadlift-455

Squat-405

My diet is pretty consistent.I eat pretty healthy during the week and allow my self some good stuff on the weekends. I take in t least 200 grams of protein a day.I usually
only have about 150 grams of carbs a day but once or twice a week I will carb load to get my head right..lol and I probably take in a normal amount of healthy fat.

Let me know what else I am missing. I am totally open to changing my game up as I have been doing this type of routine for almost 2 years.

Thanks again man!

The best thing I can recommend as general advice would be for you to do one bench workout per week and one military press workout per week.
For Bench try to lift one top weight each week and increase by 5-10 lbs each week. Keep the reps between 6 in the beginning and 2 near the end. (as the weights climb the reps eventually have to go down)
start at 280 and hit it for 6 for 2-4 sets but don't do the third and fourth sets unless you're certain to make them. The second exercise should be about 25 pounds lighter and get about 6 sets of 4 trying to be explosive and keeping the rests 45-90 sec. third exercise should be higher reps like 8-12 on something like DB incline or dips or paused barbell incline. again 2-4 sets here. Just basically a high volume. Each week move the weights up CONSERVATIVELY and try to make PRs by 1. hitting a heavier weight for the same reps 2. same weight for more reps or 3. same weight for more reps AND sets. Try not to miss reps. Be smart like that. there's a lot of sets and you'll hit more volume with higher quality and bettter recovery if you aren't missing or grinding through crappy reps.

For the Military it's the same thing. Start off working up to a top set of 1-6 reps. A little heavier each week or try to beat the reps from the previous week with the same weight. You can go up and down instinctively here, but again keep the form strict and DON"T use your legs. push presses don't build the bench. And use a form where you belt up, lean back slightly and keep your chest up. this makes it like a very steep incline--better for bench carryover. After the second set lower the weight 20-30 pounds and do 3-4 sets of 7-10 reps. It's easy sounding but very hard. Don't time your rest. take your time. After all the military you can hit a couple sets of laterals too but you should be pretty fatigued. Just keep the attempts conservative and try to make little gains each week. Be patient and the small jumps will add up.

Lastly, as you approach the point where the weights are nearing your max and the reps are down to 2-3 you can drop the shoulder day and trade it for two bench days.

Let me know what other questions you got!

Universal Rep
01-31-13, 5:03 pm
The Savage lifts in the CAGE for the first time... http://forum.animalpak.com/showthread.php?40240-DAN-GREEN-quot-Savage-Deadlifting-Dan-Green-Pulls-850-quot

J Wong
01-31-13, 10:14 pm
Hey man, per your advice (and others) I have started training my deadlift with the sumo stance. I was wondering if you could check out the following video and give any tips and point out any errors when it comes to technique.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBNTRYRqok4&list=UUYZCXAb_LP_03P_sYHHyGDQ&index=1

I am using very light weight and running the Ort/Mag deadlift program. I am using a very conservative max of 550 to base my %s off (630 is my best conventional pull) but I want to get the technique down so I don't develop any bad habits with heavier weight. It has been pointed out to me from a friend that I should widen my stance a little bit and that I am kind of jerking the bar off the ground instead of pulling back while letting my hips come through.

Thanks!

BOSS
01-31-13, 10:52 pm
Hey man, per your advice (and others) I have started training my deadlift with the sumo stance. I was wondering if you could check out the following video and give any tips and point out any errors when it comes to technique.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBNTRYRqok4&list=UUYZCXAb_LP_03P_sYHHyGDQ&index=1

I am using very light weight and running the Ort/Mag deadlift program. I am using a very conservative max of 550 to base my %s off (630 is my best conventional pull) but I want to get the technique down so I don't develop any bad habits with heavier weight. It has been pointed out to me from a friend that I should widen my stance a little bit and that I am kind of jerking the bar off the ground instead of pulling back while letting my hips come through.

Thanks!

seems alright to me. You don't want to sit back too much and turn it into a squat and some people jerk more some people are smoother initially--I'd say whatever works. The big thing for sumo is that at a certain weight your hip strength will be the weak link and your form will deteriorate. In other words, here your form looks just fine. But as you go above a certain point it might start to feel really awkward. I tend to recommend training right around the weight not where your ABSOLUTE max is but the weight where your TECHNICAL max is. This will build up the hips. the leg drive and back strength is the same is it is for pulling conventional so you've already got plenty of strength there. Personally I like heavy sets of 3-5 reps pulling the weights from 4" blocks to really build that hip strength.

pushin weight
02-01-13, 9:50 am
The best thing I can recommend as general advice would be for you to do one bench workout per week and one military press workout per week.
For Bench try to lift one top weight each week and increase by 5-10 lbs each week. Keep the reps between 6 in the beginning and 2 near the end. (as the weights climb the reps eventually have to go down)
start at 280 and hit it for 6 for 2-4 sets but don't do the third and fourth sets unless you're certain to make them. The second exercise should be about 25 pounds lighter and get about 6 sets of 4 trying to be explosive and keeping the rests 45-90 sec. third exercise should be higher reps like 8-12 on something like DB incline or dips or paused barbell incline. again 2-4 sets here. Just basically a high volume. Each week move the weights up CONSERVATIVELY and try to make PRs by 1. hitting a heavier weight for the same reps 2. same weight for more reps or 3. same weight for more reps AND sets. Try not to miss reps. Be smart like that. there's a lot of sets and you'll hit more volume with higher quality and bettter recovery if you aren't missing or grinding through crappy reps.

For the Military it's the same thing. Start off working up to a top set of 1-6 reps. A little heavier each week or try to beat the reps from the previous week with the same weight. You can go up and down instinctively here, but again keep the form strict and DON"T use your legs. push presses don't build the bench. And use a form where you belt up, lean back slightly and keep your chest up. this makes it like a very steep incline--better for bench carryover. After the second set lower the weight 20-30 pounds and do 3-4 sets of 7-10 reps. It's easy sounding but very hard. Don't time your rest. take your time. After all the military you can hit a couple sets of laterals too but you should be pretty fatigued. Just keep the attempts conservative and try to make little gains each week. Be patient and the small jumps will add up.

Lastly, as you approach the point where the weights are nearing your max and the reps are down to 2-3 you can drop the shoulder day and trade it for two bench days.

Let me know what other questions you got!

Thanks so much Dan.Here is a vid of me benching 315. I wish the guy who spotted me would have let me struggle that second rep out but he was not my normal spotter and he kinda fucked me up.If I need to I can post another vid or another angle you just tell me what you need to look at.Also should I use a belt for benching?

http://youtu.be/uE32f6RoHT4

BOSS
02-01-13, 11:36 am
Thanks so much Dan.Here is a vid of me benching 315. I wish the guy who spotted me would have let me struggle that second rep out but he was not my normal spotter and he kinda fucked me up.If I need to I can post another vid or another angle you just tell me what you need to look at.Also should I use a belt for benching?

http://youtu.be/uE32f6RoHT4

Looks like that gyms bench is tough to set up on. One thing you can bring to your gym is some of that really grippy stuff that you would place in a tool kit on the drawers or in a kitchen on a shelf. It's like a thick mesh pad. Put that across the bench where your shoulders are and you will set up much tighter. And no, you don't need a belt. The tech on the first rep look very good but the second stalled because you pushed the rep slightly away from you instead of smoothly back toward your head. Just got out of the groove.

pushin weight
02-03-13, 10:44 am
Looks like that gyms bench is tough to set up on. One thing you can bring to your gym is some of that really grippy stuff that you would place in a tool kit on the drawers or in a kitchen on a shelf. It's like a thick mesh pad. Put that across the bench where your shoulders are and you will set up much tighter. And no, you don't need a belt. The tech on the first rep look very good but the second stalled because you pushed the rep slightly away from you instead of smoothly back toward your head. Just got out of the groove.

Thanks so much Dan. It is a great inspiration to have the guidance and knowledge of elite athletes such as yourself to help the average guys out on this board.
Tomorrow I hit Deads and will post a vid of my heaviest set.I would be grateful for any guidance you can give me. I look forward to getting some feed back on my squat as well. Again thank you so much for your
time and knowledge.

pushin weight
02-03-13, 10:51 am

I just want to say thank you for all your guidance and knowlegde.It is a great inspiration to have the benefit of elite athletes such as your self who are willing to help guys like me succed and achieve our goals. I am hitting deads tomorrow and will post a vid for you to critique as well as a squat vid later this week. Thanks again!

BOSS
02-04-13, 9:35 am
I just want to say thank you for all your guidance and knowlegde.It is a great inspiration to have the benefit of elite athletes such as your self who are willing to help guys like me succed and achieve our goals. I am hitting deads tomorrow and will post a vid for you to critique as well as a squat vid later this week. Thanks again!

Sounds good bro. Not a problem at all.

Polk17
02-04-13, 10:17 am
Any experience with disc problems? I've recently been diagnosed with a bulging L5.

pushin weight
02-04-13, 10:24 am
Here is a vid of me this morning setting a PR with 405 x 3 any advice would be greatly appreciated as I would really like to get to 500 in the near future.

http://youtu.be/c35gDg3XnAE

BOSS
02-04-13, 8:07 pm
Any experience with disc problems? I've recently been diagnosed with a bulging L5.

Yeah I've had some low back problems and 3 thoracic bulged discs too. Fun times! Best things are anti inflammatories like advil. 800mg twice a day is pretty helpful. Stretch your lats and glutes to take pressure off the lower back. Lastly, what works great is bodyweight reverse hypers for like 3x15 every day. This works like a fucking charm

BOSS
02-04-13, 8:12 pm
Here is a vid of me this morning setting a PR with 405 x 3 any advice would be greatly appreciated as I would really like to get to 500 in the near future.

http://youtu.be/c35gDg3XnAE

Looked good! Best advice I would say would be if your goal is a 500 pull (a strength goal) you should start doing your deads where you stop at the bottom and reset and pull each rep. This builds the bottom of the pull much more than touch and go reps. Also, do some pulls from a deficit as well (stand on a 3-4" block or 100# plate) either as the first exercise in the workout or the second

Polk17
02-04-13, 8:51 pm
Yeah I've had some low back problems and 3 thoracic bulged discs too. Fun times! Best things are anti inflammatories like advil. 800mg twice a day is pretty helpful. Stretch your lats and glutes to take pressure off the lower back. Lastly, what works great is bodyweight reverse hypers for like 3x15 every day. This works like a fucking charm

What kind of rehab did you do? Just did what you felt like you could.

Tbrat
02-05-13, 12:09 am
Welcome man, always awesome to see freakishly strong guys added to the animal team. I saw your video training with Stan on Youtube not too long ago and started checking out your channel then bam, signed by animal! Just got to say, you have some ridiculous damn delts. Obviously you train them hard but they are crazy, Genetics? or were they ever a weak point for you? If so, how'd you bring them up?

pushin weight
02-05-13, 10:48 am
Looked good! Best advice I would say would be if your goal is a 500 pull (a strength goal) you should start doing your deads where you stop at the bottom and reset and pull each rep. This builds the bottom of the pull much more than touch and go reps. Also, do some pulls from a deficit as well (stand on a 3-4" block or 100# plate) either as the first exercise in the workout or the second

Thanks man will do. I took your advice and started a standing press workout this morning. I was amazed by how much this movement seemed to really tax the system and I could feel it shocking my body into change immediately.This is definately a grown man's exercise.I have always given delts their own day and this will be my staple core movement for delt day.Thanks again

pushin weight
02-09-13, 4:58 pm
Any thoughts or advice would be great. This is my latest PR of 330 which shows my form breakdown through the lockout

http://youtu.be/2xSzJMtGTHY

BOSS
02-10-13, 3:09 pm
Welcome man, always awesome to see freakishly strong guys added to the animal team. I saw your video training with Stan on Youtube not too long ago and started checking out your channel then bam, signed by animal! Just got to say, you have some ridiculous damn delts. Obviously you train them hard but they are crazy, Genetics? or were they ever a weak point for you? If so, how'd you bring them up?

All I can say is I've always trained them. I've always liked military presses and push presses. What I think works really well is the seated DB press. Doing 4-5 hard sets of these in a workout will blow your shoulders up. Also, I have always trained lots of laterals. mostly side or slightly to the front or rear, but lots of laterals for 10-15 reps for multiple sets.

BOSS
02-11-13, 4:46 am
Any thoughts or advice would be great. This is my latest PR of 330 which shows my form breakdown through the lockout

http://youtu.be/2xSzJMtGTHY

Well considering it was a max immediately following a previous max it's reasonable that it was a bit rough! But overall the form wasn't bad--kept your weight on the traps. stronger lats will help control the groove as will building up that mil press. Shoulder strength will help drive the weight up and back. And to help put size on just keep repping and make sure you're putting in work on the dumbbells too

pushin weight
02-11-13, 2:19 pm
Well considering it was a max immediately following a previous max it's reasonable that it was a bit rough! But overall the form wasn't bad--kept your weight on the traps. stronger lats will help control the groove as will building up that mil press. Shoulder strength will help drive the weight up and back. And to help put size on just keep repping and make sure you're putting in work on the dumbbells too

Thanks man sounds good. I will hit those DB's this Friday for chest.

skibasgym
02-20-13, 10:14 am
please help me out guys...I'll be doing an Animal Seminar this weekend in Fit Gym Philly. Lots of big ass rookie lliftersloooking to get big and train heavy................
check the forum foR DETAILS

Julian484
02-26-13, 1:25 pm
Hey Dan,
I had a question about weight belts. I have no experience in using these what so ever, I am starting to increase my deads and squats and I notice many people wearing belts as the weight goes up. I have the typical back tightness that comes from working out and sports but fortunately nothing serious that has needed medical attention. Rather than list all the beginner belt questions, could you give me a basic run down on belts: pros v. cons, benefits, when to use and not to use, etc.
Thank you,
-Julian

BOSS
02-27-13, 11:22 pm
Hey Dan,
I had a question about weight belts. I have no experience in using these what so ever, I am starting to increase my deads and squats and I notice many people wearing belts as the weight goes up. I have the typical back tightness that comes from working out and sports but fortunately nothing serious that has needed medical attention. Rather than list all the beginner belt questions, could you give me a basic run down on belts: pros v. cons, benefits, when to use and not to use, etc.
Thank you,
-Julian

Well I find that Inzer makes exceptional belts. I have an Inzer 13mm Forever 2 prong belt. It takes a while to break in but it's great. I can't say that there are any other cons after that. I will say I train without a belt generally till I squat 515, military press 225, front squat 405 or deadlift 595. After that I wear the belts for all the heavy sets. The belt will actually make you stronger by teaching you how to brace your abs against it when you lift. But I like to work up to moderately heavy weights while I'm still warming up to keep a certain amount of no-belt strength

Julian484
03-01-13, 9:11 am
Dan,
Thank you very much for the advice and information.
-Julian

Universal Rep
03-15-13, 10:36 am
Yo Dan, heard ur next meet is in June?

BOSS
03-26-13, 12:45 pm
Yo Dan, heard ur next meet is in June?

Yes my next meet is in June. I've accepted an invitation to compete at the GPC Nationals in Melbourne, Australia on June 16th...
Should be an awesome time! 12 weeks to train!

freighttraindane
03-26-13, 1:37 pm
Yes my next meet is in June. I've accepted an invitation to compete at the GPC Nationals in Melbourne, Australia on June 16th...

Congrats Dan, That is shaping up to be a crazy meet. Look forward to following your meet training

PowerMad13
04-12-13, 11:49 am
Hiya Dan,

What supps dya take to keep your weight up? And surely to be as ripped as you are, you must do cardio!? If not, whats your secret?!

BOSS
04-13-13, 2:00 am
Hiya Dan,

What supps dya take to keep your weight up? And surely to be as ripped as you are, you must do cardio!? If not, whats your secret?!

Sorry you must have the wrong person lol. I have to basically just diet to keep my weight down. Very low calorie and carb eating. And I do zero cardio. I am pretty much just streamlining my PL training. Some of the exercises are very demanding and do enough to keep me conditioned... But that's it. I will enjoy a hike but that's only once every 2-3 weeks usually

PowerMad13
04-13-13, 2:41 am
Sorry you must have the wrong person lol. I have to basically just diet to keep my weight down. Very low calorie and carb eating. And I do zero cardio. I am pretty much just streamlining my PL training. Some of the exercises are very demanding and do enough to keep me conditioned... But that's it. I will enjoy a hike but that's only once every 2-3 weeks usually

Nah definitely not! Your 815lb raw gym squat is immense! I'm cycling down for my second meet in 5 weeks but after that I don't know what to do training wise? Any advice for a split?

Tomas
04-25-13, 2:35 pm
Hey Dan some training questions,

how do you feel about training just the heavy barbell movements, and sometimes combining Push/Pull/Squat movements in a single session vs. training like a typical bodybuilding, to "annihilate" each body part. For example, having a chest day that includes flat bench, incline, dumbbell press, flyes, etc. Also, what are your thoughts on training frequency? Say you want to bench twice a week. Would one session have to be lighter, or just decrease volume or assistance?
I want to do a powerlifting meet at the end of this year. I don't really have any aspirations to be a bodybuilder, but I could definitely put on some size. Trying to structure my training. Thanks man,

Tom

Beowulf
04-25-13, 2:55 pm

Looking forward to seeing you compete again, Dan. Why the GPC Nationals?

Bazz67
05-09-13, 4:35 pm
Dan,

Love watching your videos brother, super intensity even in training. Quick question, I've gotten much better over time at beginning my pulls tight against the shin and am able to pull some decent numbers now but I still have some drifting outward of the bar approaching the knees. I know my total would go up if I could correct this and I can on submaximal pulls but not at 95%+. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Dave

BOSS
05-17-13, 12:19 pm
Hey Dan some training questions,

how do you feel about training just the heavy barbell movements, and sometimes combining Push/Pull/Squat movements in a single session vs. training like a typical bodybuilding, to "annihilate" each body part. For example, having a chest day that includes flat bench, incline, dumbbell press, flyes, etc. Also, what are your thoughts on training frequency? Say you want to bench twice a week. Would one session have to be lighter, or just decrease volume or assistance?
I want to do a powerlifting meet at the end of this year. I don't really have any aspirations to be a bodybuilder, but I could definitely put on some size. Trying to structure my training. Thanks man,

Tom

My Preference is to just alternate upper body days with lower body days... My split looks like this:

M--Squats
T--Shoulders
W--front squats
TH--triceps/CG bench
F--Deadlifts
Sa--rest
Su--Bench/chest

BOSS
05-17-13, 12:20 pm
Looking forward to seeing you compete again, Dan. Why the GPC Nationals?

Thanks man, GPC nationals is going to be exciting... THe Australians apparently are very excited to have me and since they are bringing me out there it's even sweeter

BOSS
05-17-13, 12:21 pm
Dan,

Love watching your videos brother, super intensity even in training. Quick question, I've gotten much better over time at beginning my pulls tight against the shin and am able to pull some decent numbers now but I still have some drifting outward of the bar approaching the knees. I know my total would go up if I could correct this and I can on submaximal pulls but not at 95%+. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Dave

It's tough to say without seeing you actuallly lift

Bazz67
05-17-13, 3:05 pm
It's tough to say without seeing you actuallly lift

Got it. I'm 10 weeks removed from surgery to repair a full distal bicep tendon tear and just working my way back up. Will post video in about a month when I hit the 95%+ level if you don't mind taking a look.

Thanks, Dave

Universal Rep
05-17-13, 3:06 pm
Got it. I'm 10 weeks removed from surgery to repair a full distal bicep tendon tear and just working my way back up. Will post video in about a month when I hit the 95%+ level if you don't mind taking a look.

Thanks, Dave

I think postin vids def make it easier for folks to see wut ur talkin about...

APB
05-19-13, 1:49 pm
Hey Dan,

Took your advice about three weeks ago, and made dead stop deficit deadlifts a staple alongside regular conventional deadlifts. Cut well back on the accessory movements and upped the volume of deadlifts, and have well and truly kick started my previously stalled progress. The race to a 300kg pull is back on, thanks dude.

I haven't included any block pulls, purely because I'm a conventional lifter and have never had an issue locking out my deadlifts. Would you agree with this? I feel like I’d benefit more with using the energy I’d use from block pulls to add some more volume onto the deficit and conventional pulls?

Also, as much as I want to deadlift 300kg+, I want to look the part as well. Like you said, nothing good ever comes from being skinny. I notice a distinct lack of isolation arm movements in the workouts you've posted. Are your arms just built on a steady diet of presses and rows?

Bazz67
05-19-13, 9:34 pm
Congrats on the new World Record total at 242. Was able to catch the live stream of the meet. All of your lifts were rock solid, no one can question this record-Awesome work!

On another note. I really wish they would have just left the platform alone prior to your last attempt. I know you would never use it as a reason for not getting that attempt but I know it couldn't have helped being ready to go and having to wait for several minutes. I realize they were just trying to do the right thing, just wish they would have done it three lifters earlier so you didn't get stuck waiting on the platform. No doubt it my mind you got 850+ in you in the near future.

Firefist
05-20-13, 10:15 am
Just droppin in to say congrats man! Thats some sick shit.

Universal Rep
05-20-13, 10:18 am
Just droppin in to say congrats man! Thats some sick shit.

x100

Congrats DG. Hopin to see sum vids of the ur meet...

twoheadedboy
05-22-13, 11:17 am
Congrats on the meet Dan. I had a question about your sumo dead stance. It's one of the widest I've seen. How did you come to the conclusion that that was the best for you?

BOSS
05-27-13, 12:22 pm
Congrats on the meet Dan. I had a question about your sumo dead stance. It's one of the widest I've seen. How did you come to the conclusion that that was the best for you?

AS I trained block pulls it became evident just based on how I would try to gain leverage that that was what worked well

BOSS
05-27-13, 12:24 pm
Hey Dan,

Took your advice about three weeks ago, and made dead stop deficit deadlifts a staple alongside regular conventional deadlifts. Cut well back on the accessory movements and upped the volume of deadlifts, and have well and truly kick started my previously stalled progress. The race to a 300kg pull is back on, thanks dude.

I haven't included any block pulls, purely because I'm a conventional lifter and have never had an issue locking out my deadlifts. Would you agree with this? I feel like I’d benefit more with using the energy I’d use from block pulls to add some more volume onto the deficit and conventional pulls?

Also, as much as I want to deadlift 300kg+, I want to look the part as well. Like you said, nothing good ever comes from being skinny. I notice a distinct lack of isolation arm movements in the workouts you've posted. Are your arms just built on a steady diet of presses and rows?

Either way...block pulls can work for a while. Conventional I like 5-6" blocks for 5 or so reps but you could also do stiff leg deadlifts from a deficit for 6-8 reps. I am a big believer in these for conventional strength

Mark Welbourn
07-01-13, 6:23 am
What's up Dan. Thank you for all of your input on this thread. To be able read the advice of someone who's been in the game for a lot longer than me (4 years) is priceless. My squat is steadily going up, but my deadlift has been going nowhere. My best squat is 430lbs with no wraps now, but my deadlift has more or less gone up and down between 430 and 474 for the last 2 years. I've pulled sumo these last 2 years. For the first 9 months I didn't pull conventional at all and it seemed like my back just got weaker and weaker, at the same time I'm trying to up my numbers. Around 9 months ago I threw my back out and had to lift 50%ish for about 3 months. I'm lifting heavy again, pulled 452 at my meet 2 months ago. I was staying in the 74kg (163lb) class for a long time because I was more competitive, but I think I was just too skinny at that weight. I'm 5'7''. So I'm on a see-food diet now, up in the 190s now.. hoping that will decrease my injury potential and increase my strength potential. I can lockout just about anything I can get off the floor now. I have added in front squats which I am loving, as per Brandon Lilly's advice and also defecit pulls, which I am not loving. I also pull conventional 2/3 of the time, trying to keep up my lower back strength. Is that relative quad weakness hindering the bottom of my sumo pull? I'm hoping the front squats will help with that. Here's my last meet maybe you can see something helpful http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNDhHUGK_-A
Hey... thank you so much for your time and all of your intelligent replies on this thread... mark

BOSS
07-01-13, 1:14 pm
What's up Dan. Thank you for all of your input on this thread. To be able read the advice of someone who's been in the game for a lot longer than me (4 years) is priceless. My squat is steadily going up, but my deadlift has been going nowhere. My best squat is 430lbs with no wraps now, but my deadlift has more or less gone up and down between 430 and 474 for the last 2 years. I've pulled sumo these last 2 years. For the first 9 months I didn't pull conventional at all and it seemed like my back just got weaker and weaker, at the same time I'm trying to up my numbers. Around 9 months ago I threw my back out and had to lift 50%ish for about 3 months. I'm lifting heavy again, pulled 452 at my meet 2 months ago. I was staying in the 74kg (163lb) class for a long time because I was more competitive, but I think I was just too skinny at that weight. I'm 5'7''. So I'm on a see-food diet now, up in the 190s now.. hoping that will decrease my injury potential and increase my strength potential. I can lockout just about anything I can get off the floor now. I have added in front squats which I am loving, as per Brandon Lilly's advice and also defecit pulls, which I am not loving. I also pull conventional 2/3 of the time, trying to keep up my lower back strength. Is that relative quad weakness hindering the bottom of my sumo pull? I'm hoping the front squats will help with that. Here's my last meet maybe you can see something helpful http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNDhHUGK_-A
Hey... thank you so much for your time and all of your intelligent replies on this thread... mark

When the weight gets stuck like that it' really everything: leg strength, hip strength and upper back strength. I'd train from different heights. You already pull from a deficit but I'd add sumo pulls with the weights on 4" blocks

Castro15
07-01-13, 5:03 pm
Opinions on the best knee wraps for squats? Specifically for rebound in getting out of the hole. Looking at THPs, Titaniums and Signature Goldwraps all offered by Anderson Powerlifting (located in Dallas) as I lift and live in Waco, Texas. Please give your opinion and experiences as they would greatly help me in my process of buying the wraps! Thanks in advance.

Mark Welbourn
07-01-13, 5:14 pm
Ok Dan.... I've actually been doing the sumo block pulls every third week for the last couple of months, as per Cube instructions. I was afraid they were a waste of time because I'm doing multiple reps at weights above my max. How often do you think I ought to do them? One last deadlift question.. do you share the "only pull heavy from floor at meets" philosophy? .... Deficit pulls, block pulls and then only light dynamic effect from the floor? Awesome to be able to ask a raw sumo puller this stuff.... Much gratitude

BOSS
07-07-13, 11:47 pm
Ok Dan.... I've actually been doing the sumo block pulls every third week for the last couple of months, as per Cube instructions. I was afraid they were a waste of time because I'm doing multiple reps at weights above my max. How often do you think I ought to do them? One last deadlift question.. do you share the "only pull heavy from floor at meets" philosophy? .... Deficit pulls, block pulls and then only light dynamic effect from the floor? Awesome to be able to ask a raw sumo puller this stuff.... Much gratitude

absolutely not. I start 99/100 deadlift sessions pulling from the floor. Block pulls are great for sumo. I'd do them as often as possible.

youngblood
07-09-13, 1:35 am
Hey dan,

Congrats on your recent success through hard work, I admire you mostly about the way you seem to carry yourself and hope to be as humble as you one day. Just wandering what your current training split is looking like and things your focussing on in between your current meets.

Also what do you believe to have helped the most for your squat?

Thanks and keep killing it.

Chur.

Onumonster
07-11-13, 2:25 pm
Hey I got a problem when I squat my hips come up to quick causing me to go into a good morning. What are some exercises that could fix it?

If my gym doesn't have blocks to pull from, should I just go to rack pulls or it will waste my time?

Also do you take any caffeine/pre workouts before your training sessions?

Thanks man I really appreciate it, great job in Australia

BOSS
07-18-13, 9:22 am
Thanks man, currently I'm training with no belt or wraps on leg days, just trying to hit reps on the squat and deads, which I'm training conventional currently. For bench, I'm doing my standard day with a bar with paused reps and then touch and go reps, but I've also added a second chest day that is for mass which is just low incline DB presses followed by flyes. The thing that's helped me most with the squatting has to be front squats.

My basic split is:

M: squat no belt, paused squats (closer stance/high bar), stiff leg deads
T: DB bench, DB flyes, DB rows
W: front squats
TH: rest
F: conv. deads, deficit deads, stiff leg deads
SA: rest
SU: Paused bench, touch and go bench, DB laterals

Hey dan,

Congrats on your recent success through hard work, I admire you mostly about the way you seem to carry yourself and hope to be as humble as you one day. Just wandering what your current training split is looking like and things your focussing on in between your current meets.

Also what do you believe to have helped the most for your squat?

Thanks and keep killing it.

Chur.

BOSS
07-18-13, 9:25 am
Front squats really helped me with the same problem that you are experiencing on the squat.
Pins are ok to pull from. You can also build your own blocks as I do feel they are superior.
And yes, I like coffee and Rage before workouts
Thanks man

Hey I got a problem when I squat my hips come up to quick causing me to go into a good morning. What are some exercises that could fix it?

If my gym doesn't have blocks to pull from, should I just go to rack pulls or it will waste my time?

Also do you take any caffeine/pre workouts before your training sessions?

Thanks man I really appreciate it, great job in Australia

BOSS
07-18-13, 9:30 am
Hey sorry for the late reply, I really like the Signature Golds. They are aggressively stretchy but very rigid and don't flex. The stretch really compliments my squatting style as I descend quickly. I haven't used the THPs ever, and the Titaniums are a much softer wrap more appropriate for comfort than performance. Other than the Gold's, the wrap that's far and away been the most impressive is the APT Strangulator. These are way better than the THPs if you want a stiffer, harder wrap.

Opinions on the best knee wraps for squats? Specifically for rebound in getting out of the hole. Looking at THPs, Titaniums and Signature Goldwraps all offered by Anderson Powerlifting (located in Dallas) as I lift and live in Waco, Texas. Please give your opinion and experiences as they would greatly help me in my process of buying the wraps! Thanks in advance.

Mark Welbourn
07-21-13, 6:33 am
OK... so I saw your seminar from Austrailia on YouTube. That was freakin gold. You mentioned dropping the military day and even the front squat day when a competition is getting close in favor of a 2nd bench day and back squat day. Are they lighter days, hypertrophy days, or are they just the next step up in the linear progression leading up to the meet? How far out would you do that? You mentioned just doing rows and deadlifts for traps. What kind of rows do you mean? Upright or something else? Phenomenal job in Austrailia.

Onumonster
07-23-13, 12:37 pm
What do you do for recovery?

AWARD
07-23-13, 5:00 pm
Hey Dan, big fan, just had a question if you have a sec to answer it.. I pull conventional and have been having a hard time tightening my upper back consistently..

I know you pull sumo usually, but your conventional pulls always look solid as well. Do you have any cues or tips to tighten the back/activate the lats? Thanks a lot, Keep killing shit!

BOSS
07-31-13, 7:10 pm
What do you do for recovery?

Nothing special, a little self-massage of tight spots, otherwise I don't get enough sleep nor is my diet ideal and I'm stressed as fuck making things happen as far as running a business lol, so the best thing is to not beat yourself up in the first place... This is why I always stress the importance of great technique... It allows you to train so much more without abusing your body.

BOSS
07-31-13, 7:13 pm
Hey Dan, big fan, just had a question if you have a sec to answer it.. I pull conventional and have been having a hard time tightening my upper back consistently..

I know you pull sumo usually, but your conventional pulls always look solid as well. Do you have any cues or tips to tighten the back/activate the lats? Thanks a lot, Keep killing shit!

Actually answered this on the other thread, but basically lots of rows: bent rows, chest supported rows, and DB rows are best. Also, sumo pulls especially with the weights on blocks will make your upper back extremely strong!

BOSS
07-31-13, 7:17 pm
OK... so I saw your seminar from Austrailia on YouTube. That was freakin gold. You mentioned dropping the military day and even the front squat day when a competition is getting close in favor of a 2nd bench day and back squat day. Are they lighter days, hypertrophy days, or are they just the next step up in the linear progression leading up to the meet? How far out would you do that? You mentioned just doing rows and deadlifts for traps. What kind of rows do you mean? Upright or something else? Phenomenal job in Austrailia.

Thanks man, there are no light days, especially not close to a meet. The squats probably switch around 6 weeks out and the bench around 4, but really it's just when the front squats or military presses plateau. For rows I am referring to bent rows, chest supported rows and DB rows

1369phil
08-02-13, 3:14 pm
Dan, I am very impressed with your lifting, your work ethic and your no-nonsense attitude to training.

I wonder if you would recommend any changes to your template for a 40+ year old, competitive raw lifter, under IPF rules (I'm sure you catch my drift) who works shifts ?

I have trained pretty much daily for a while.

I was planning on :

Day 1 - Squats, Pause Squats, Stiff Legs
Day 2 - Press and Dumbell Rows
Day 3 - Front Squats and Stiff Legs
Day 4 - Bench, touch and go bench, dips
Day 5 - Deads, block deads and deficits
Day 6 - Touch and go bench, close grips, chest supported rows

The day off would be wherever it falls as I do not work a traditional week (6 days on and 4 off)

AWARD
08-03-13, 8:23 pm
Actually answered this on the other thread, but basically lots of rows: bent rows, chest supported rows, and DB rows are best. Also, sumo pulls especially with the weights on blocks will make your upper back extremely strong!

Thanks a lot Dan, I'll try doing them some more. Also have been eating more Oreo's lately and I am getting stronger, get sponsored by them!

BOSS
08-04-13, 3:41 am
Dan, I am very impressed with your lifting, your work ethic and your no-nonsense attitude to training.

I wonder if you would recommend any changes to your template for a 40+ year old, competitive raw lifter, under IPF rules (I'm sure you catch my drift) who works shifts ?

I have trained pretty much daily for a while.

I was planning on :

Day 1 - Squats, Pause Squats, Stiff Legs
Day 2 - Press and Dumbell Rows
Day 3 - Front Squats and Stiff Legs
Day 4 - Bench, touch and go bench, dips
Day 5 - Deads, block deads and deficits
Day 6 - Touch and go bench, close grips, chest supported rows

The day off would be wherever it falls as I do not work a traditional week (6 days on and 4 off)

Pretty solid amount of work. The key is as you go to build as much volume into this as you can so that you'll be able to strip much of it away as a meet approaches and you are ready to peak. Also, SLDLs on day 3 may be a bit of overkill.

Universal Rep
08-07-13, 12:07 pm
Great to see ya more active here Dan. When is ur next meet and have ya thought about the CAGE, 2014?

STRONGmanmike
08-15-13, 12:39 pm
first off, much respect, you are a great powerlifter. i am trying to bring my squats up and i noticed that you squat on mondays and front squat on wednesdays. do you do this every week or is there some sort of rotation? right now i squat every week on monday and rotate front squats every other week. do you think it would be beneficial for me to give front squats their own day? also, what type of assistance would you recommend following front squats if i split my leg days up? thanks in advance!

BOSS
08-19-13, 2:14 am
first off, much respect, you are a great powerlifter. i am trying to bring my squats up and i noticed that you squat on mondays and front squat on wednesdays. do you do this every week or is there some sort of rotation? right now i squat every week on monday and rotate front squats every other week. do you think it would be beneficial for me to give front squats their own day? also, what type of assistance would you recommend following front squats if i split my leg days up? thanks in advance!

Front squats get their own day every week! they're that important. As I get closer to a meet say 6 weeks out I switch to two back squat days and no fronts. after I'd recommend something like stiff leg deads or bent over rows or RDLs...something for the hams or back

BOSS
08-19-13, 2:16 am
Great to see ya more active here Dan. When is ur next meet and have ya thought about the CAGE, 2014?

Next two meets will be both in NOVEMBER! I'm going to lift at 220 on Nov 2nd at the Backyard Meet in Sacramento at Supertraining Gym and then in Melbourne, Aus as a 242 on Nov 16th at the Pro Raw V Meet. Both full power. Definitely looking forward to lifting at the Cage in '14

Universal Rep
08-21-13, 1:45 pm
Next two meets will be both in NOVEMBER! I'm going to lift at 220 on Nov 2nd at the Backyard Meet in Sacramento at Supertraining Gym and then in Melbourne, Aus as a 242 on Nov 16th at the Pro Raw V Meet. Both full power. Definitely looking forward to lifting at the Cage in '14

How do ya decide when to go 220 and when to go 242 and wuts it like ownin both WRs in both weight classes?

Likin the new handle brother... BOSS. Suits ya perfectly.

Chase "BIG COUNTRY" Browning
08-21-13, 1:56 pm
I've noticed in your training log that you train everything often. Can you lay out what your split looks like for a week or 10 days or whatever you base it on?

Drogo
08-21-13, 6:32 pm
My Preference is to just alternate upper body days with lower body days... My split looks like this:

M--Squats
T--Shoulders
W--front squats
TH--triceps/CG bench
F--Deadlifts
Sa--rest
Su--Bench/chest

Hey Dan, very intrigued with your training and of course your results.

A few Questions:

(1) For back I know you advocate lots of rows--on what days in your training split do you work them, and on what set/rep scheme? Also, do you ever work in Chins and if so how?

(2) What Tricep Movements do you favor?

(3) Do you ever do ab work or do you feel the main lifts cover this?

(4) Can you describe a typical front squat day, including 2nd and 3rd exercises? (I'm interested in sets/reps and follow-up movements if any. I think I read you recommending RDLs on this day but wondered if that was it or if there was anything else.)

(5) Do you vary 2nd and 3rd exercises throughout a training cycle (i.e., say switching from RDLs to Stiff-Leg Deads or BB Rows to Chest-Supported) on a schedule? By feel? Or do you keep the same movements in throughout the training cycle?

Apologies if I got too greedy with all these Qs...

Drogo
08-21-13, 6:36 pm

A few Questions:

(1) For back I know you advocate lots of rows--on what days in your training split do you work them, and on what set/rep scheme? Also, do you ever work in Chins and if so how?

(4) Can you describe a typical front squat day, including 2nd and 3rd exercises? (I'm interested in sets/reps and follow-up movements if any. I think I read you recommending RDLs on this day but wondered if that was it or if there was anything else.)

(5) Do you vary 2nd and 3rd exercises throughout a training cycle (i.e., say switching from RDLs to Stiff-Leg Deads or BB Rows to Chest-Supported) on a schedule? By feel? Or do you keep the same movements in throughout the training cycle?

Oh, I guess I should also point out that I'm an intermediate lifter (at best) and my goals are strength and gaining a bit of size--in that order of importance. I started on a Starting Strength program and since have experimented with 5-3-1, Juggernaut, and 5x5.

BOSS
08-21-13, 7:45 pm
How do ya decide when to go 220 and when to go 242 and wuts it like ownin both WRs in both weight classes?

Likin the new handle brother... BOSS. Suits ya perfectly.

I generally would always go 220, but because I was injured before my last two meets I decided not to diet and cut and potentially have that interfere with my performance. So in November I'll lift at 220 as that meet has normal weight classes and then in Australia it'll be 242 again but that's a pro meet and the weight classes are bigger: 209-242. That will also be a 2 hour weigh in.

BOSS
08-21-13, 7:49 pm
I've noticed in your training log that you train everything often. Can you lay out what your split looks like for a week or 10 days or whatever you base it on?

Sure... right now I'm going 6x per week:

M -- squats and deads
T -- bench
W -- front squats
Th -- bench
F -- deads
Sa -- rest
Su -- bench

Every day is heavy but usually not maximal

BOSS
08-21-13, 7:56 pm

A few Questions:

Rows can be done every day if you want to work the upper back hard. I did that for almost two years. I rowed or did chins at the end of every training day for 3-4 sets of 12-20 reps
Triceps--bench... I don't do any tricep work anymore. I grew up doing a TON of skull crushers lowering the weight to just behind my head laying on a flat bench though and coupled those with cable pushdowns. I did triceps on there own day for many years with the workout being skulls for probably 7 or more sets, pushdowns for 4-5 sets and then dips for 2-3 sets
I like weighted situps but don't do them as much anymore as the main lifts are pretty draining and kill my motivation to do accessory shit usually
usually my front squat day is 3 sets of 5-8 reps followed by a heavy set for 2-4 reps. I usually don't do anything else after.
I definitely cycle the rowing exercises between chest-supported rows, chins, DB rows and more, but I don't get carried away with accessory lifts.

GUNZ
08-22-13, 11:48 am
Dan I'm really going to bust ass to get my dead and squat to keep moving up! On deadlifts, for the first time in 3 years I pulled sumo last night and was suprprised to pull 575x4. Question is would doing sumo pulls help my conventional pull also. I have a lot of jerk to my pull and I'm working on fixing that. With the sumo I felt like I had to drive legs first and pull once I moving if that makes sense. Also when I pull conventional off a 100lb plate the same thing happens I use legs first and pulled PR 595x3. But once I go back to ground I want to jerk!! I know if I get this fixed my pull should start to move up!! Any help or advice would be great man.

shortstack
08-26-13, 11:24 am
What's up BOSS? I'm glad that Gunz asked that question, I'm pretty interested in seeing what your opinion is of conventional pullers switching/training with Sumo.

Anyway, Just wanted to thank you for pushing the front squats, I switched to running those after my squats instead of more back squats, super killers.

I'm about 2 months out from my first full PL meet and have just been doing deads, bench, and squats and then more deads. bench, and squat instead of trying to force in so many accessories. It's helping my form and comfort but I like the front squats.

Jeremy

BOSS
08-26-13, 6:21 pm
Dan I'm really going to bust ass to get my dead and squat to keep moving up! On deadlifts, for the first time in 3 years I pulled sumo last night and was suprprised to pull 575x4. Question is would doing sumo pulls help my conventional pull also. I have a lot of jerk to my pull and I'm working on fixing that. With the sumo I felt like I had to drive legs first and pull once I moving if that makes sense. Also when I pull conventional off a 100lb plate the same thing happens I use legs first and pulled PR 595x3. But once I go back to ground I want to jerk!! I know if I get this fixed my pull should start to move up!! Any help or advice would be great man.

First of all, I know exactly what you mean with the leg driving aspect. If you do some sumo pulls with the weights on blocks you will get very strong and it will build your sumo pull and carryover toconventional because you will become accustomed to handling huge weights. For conv pulls from the floor if you feel like you jerk too much you might try widening your grip an inch on both sides. That will get you a little more of the feel of using your legs to start, but the wider grip will give you more leverage to pull with your lats and have a stronger torso and a stronger lockout.

BOSS
08-26-13, 6:23 pm
What's up BOSS? I'm glad that Gunz asked that question, I'm pretty interested in seeing what your opinion is of conventional pullers switching/training with Sumo.

Anyway, Just wanted to thank you for pushing the front squats, I switched to running those after my squats instead of more back squats, super killers.

I'm about 2 months out from my first full PL meet and have just been doing deads, bench, and squats and then more deads. bench, and squat instead of trying to force in so many accessories. It's helping my form and comfort but I like the front squats.

Jeremy

Good luck with your first meet. Learning to train sumo will most likely benefit you a ton, both in the short term and the long term

JacobTaylor
08-26-13, 8:43 pm
Hey Dan,
First off I must say your one of my favorite powerlifters.... I noticed u said u squat twice a week and deadlift once a week so when do u bench? Also what kind of assistance work and training split would u suggest to someone like trains alone like myself that's trying to keep a good looking physic yet be able to put up awesome numbers in the gym and on the platform bc right now I'm defiantly behind on the weights but look like I can lift a lot....

Thank you and keep up the amazing work....

P.S: Could u plz post some more training videos on YouTube?

rbowman91
08-26-13, 10:09 pm
Dan,

I am a natural bodybuilder looking to get more involved in powerlifting (to increase raw strength and improve my physique). I have 3-4 years of quality training under my belt (i'm not counting the years before that where I trained like a mornon).

What do you think is the best and SAFEST training program for a powerlifting newbie like myself?

I was looking at Wendler's 5/3/1, and the classic 5x5 program. What do you think would be best for me? Or maybe its something I didnt mention?

Any recommendations would be greatly helpful. Thanks man!

shortstack
08-27-13, 8:58 am
Good luck with your first meet. Learning to train sumo will most likely benefit you a ton, both in the short term and the long term

Thanks Dan. I'm also going to try the advice you gave Gunz and widen my grip this Friday and see how that works. Appreciate the help.

Onumonster
08-27-13, 4:30 pm
Hey thanks for answering so much questions on here, greatly appreciated to get your take on things this question I have a problem with.

When you are cutting weight what do you do to keep all your strength? Weather that be supplements, training etc. that have helped you be a strong as possible. thanks so much man.

ItzThatGuyShane
09-01-13, 2:34 pm
Hi Dan, Hope all is good, sorry if you have addressed this already but I was just wondering if you ever plan on coming out with a training program of your own?

skibasgym
09-01-13, 9:02 pm
sept 15 your coming to Skibas gym for a training session and seminar.Anything you really need.we have 4-5 sets of 100s a westside squat and a sorinex 65lb bar also a new deadlift bar...
My phone number is 732-598-9369
fans are coming out of the woodwork

Henri

skibasgym
09-01-13, 9:04 pm
What is your opinion of the finnish deadlift routine?

Henri

JacknCoke
09-06-13, 11:15 am
Hey Dan,
I've been training 5-6 days per week for the last 6 weeks
day 1: paused bench, tounch n' go bench (10kg less), wide grip paused bench, close grip paused bench, db press, triceps ext
day 2: pl squat, olympic pause squat, deficit stiff legged deadlift, upright rows
day 3: bb/db overhead press, bradford press, side laterals, biceps
day 4: front squat, upright rows
day 5: same as day 1 but heavier/ off
day 6: deadlift, deficit dl, deficit sldl, bb row, upright row
day 7: off
each week i increased 5kg on squat, front squat and deadlift or even 5kg increase in weight and more reps, resently though the reps have been lowered as the weight has gotten heavier. I 've been having some problems with the touch n' go bench though (paused bench hasn't increased like the deadlift, but my 5RM is 15kg higher). I've been resting 45sec between touch n' go sets and i usually hit 5-6 sets of 4. I don't call it speed bench, because at my last sets i'm slow and sometimes don't even get the required reps. Should i change anything on my program, espesially on my bench day/days? (I plan on being more concistant with the second day because i think the higher frequency will help me.) Overall i'm really happy with the progress i've made and greatfull for the information you put out, it's really helped me.

Universal Rep
09-06-13, 3:52 pm
www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWSRZMOmoik

Drogo
09-16-13, 12:55 pm
Rows can be done every day if you want to work the upper back hard. I did that for almost two years. I rowed or did chins at the end of every training day for 3-4 sets of 12-20 reps
Triceps--bench... I don't do any tricep work anymore. I grew up doing a TON of skull crushers lowering the weight to just behind my head laying on a flat bench though and coupled those with cable pushdowns. I did triceps on there own day for many years with the workout being skulls for probably 7 or more sets, pushdowns for 4-5 sets and then dips for 2-3 sets
I like weighted situps but don't do them as much anymore as the main lifts are pretty draining and kill my motivation to do accessory shit usually
usually my front squat day is 3 sets of 5-8 reps followed by a heavy set for 2-4 reps. I usually don't do anything else after.
I definitely cycle the rowing exercises between chest-supported rows, chins, DB rows and more, but I don't get carried away with accessory lifts.

Thanks very much for the advice.

I have another question, and I realize it may be pretty elementary. I have problems figuring out exactly how to breathe on higher-rep sets. I do much better when I can hold my breath throughout, but this doesn't work for me usually above 3-reps if the weight is reasonably heavy. I'm mostly concerned with the big 3 lifts. Can you offer me any advice for squat, bench and DL?

I really appreciate anything you have to offer.

D-Will8
09-29-13, 10:19 am
Hi Dan, first thank you for beeing such an inspirationnal lifter and a model for all the young powerlifter like me. You really bring a lot to this sport and that's awesome

I began sumo dead few weeks ago, just technical work actually, and I'm going to go heavy so I would like to be sure that i'm going on the right way with my technique, if you could check it, would be amazing !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAx-YhIQLM4

ps : sorry for my english I'm from europe

Mark Welbourn
10-04-13, 4:40 am
I've been following your bench press and military press advice from this thread for 3 months now and I've gained 20 lbs on my bench (from the 270s to the 290s). Best of all though working the military press with some volume has been freakin' magic for my shoulder! I've had to stop benching for weeks at a time because I get so much shoulder discomfort. This is the first time in 3 years I've got no pain in my right shoulder. Thank you so much.
I've got a programming question Dan. If I'm, say, a month out from a meet and I'm at my competition weight already, would you cut down the volume on assistance stuff a lot? I'm thinking that higher rep ranges would be counterproductive as I wouldn't be looking to add any mass...... ? I always have 2-hour weigh ins so I can't do much water manipulation.

BOSS
10-09-13, 9:31 pm
What is your opinion of the finnish deadlift routine?

Henri

The Finnish routines based on stiff leg deficit deads, conventional deficit deads and conventional deads are fantastic. Those are the three lifts I include in all conventional deadlifters routines

BOSS
10-09-13, 9:33 pm
I've been following your bench press and military press advice from this thread for 3 months now and I've gained 20 lbs on my bench (from the 270s to the 290s). Best of all though working the military press with some volume has been freakin' magic for my shoulder! I've had to stop benching for weeks at a time because I get so much shoulder discomfort. This is the first time in 3 years I've got no pain in my right shoulder. Thank you so much.
I've got a programming question Dan. If I'm, say, a month out from a meet and I'm at my competition weight already, would you cut down the volume on assistance stuff a lot? I'm thinking that higher rep ranges would be counterproductive as I wouldn't be looking to add any mass...... ? I always have 2-hour weigh ins so I can't do much water manipulation.

Around a month out I tend to cut down on ALL assistance lifting including military presses and Olympic style squats

BOSS
10-10-13, 12:35 am
Hi Dan, first thank you for beeing such an inspirationnal lifter and a model for all the young powerlifter like me. You really bring a lot to this sport and that's awesome

I began sumo dead few weeks ago, just technical work actually, and I'm going to go heavy so I would like to be sure that i'm going on the right way with my technique, if you could check it, would be amazing !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAx-YhIQLM4

ps : sorry for my english I'm from europe

Thanks! This looks pretty good. You might have to make some adjustments as the weight becomes heavier but this looks good

BOSS
10-10-13, 12:38 am
Thanks very much for the advice.

I have another question, and I realize it may be pretty elementary. I have problems figuring out exactly how to breathe on higher-rep sets. I do much better when I can hold my breath throughout, but this doesn't work for me usually above 3-reps if the weight is reasonably heavy. I'm mostly concerned with the big 3 lifts. Can you offer me any advice for squat, bench and DL?

I really appreciate anything you have to offer.

Holding your breath during a lift is important. But you should be able to exhale upon the completion of the rep. If that's hard then practice it during your warmups. That way you can work on it when the weights are easy

rbowman91
10-10-13, 3:20 pm
Dan,

what kind of shoes do you recommend for squatting? I have used chucks forever but ive been seeing more guys use the elevated heel powerlifting/olympic shoes.

What do you recommend?

mhoward
10-11-13, 7:07 pm
Hello Mr. Green, wondering if it would be in the cards to make a trip to your gym and get a few pointers before my meet? Or if you even do that. Thanks and hella respect.

Universal Rep
10-17-13, 9:47 am
www.youtube.com/watch?v=jN_IPqJ9_X4

BOSS
10-18-13, 1:19 pm
Dan,

what kind of shoes do you recommend for squatting? I have used chucks forever but ive been seeing more guys use the elevated heel powerlifting/olympic shoes.

What do you recommend?

Yeah I personally prefer Olympic type shoes. Currently I wear the Pendlay Do-Wins 2013 model which are basically knock-offs of the Nike Romealeo IIs. I think you should give it a try if you can get your hands on some

BOSS
10-18-13, 1:20 pm
Hello Mr. Green, wondering if it would be in the cards to make a trip to your gym and get a few pointers before my meet? Or if you even do that. Thanks and hella respect.

Sure thing. You're welcome to come down for a day or some private training. You can shoot me an email at greenanddan99@yahoo.com

Primo
10-23-13, 11:24 am
Hey Dan

Greetings from Denmark I'am a big fan, and much respect. Have you ever been here in Denmark.???

I have this program, i want you to take a look at, and give some reply to it, if you want. ;) I have about +4 years off experience in training, and i have done the wendler 5/3/1 program for quite som time now, and i am a big fan of it. So now I want to put a bit more to it.

Monday:
Bench Press (5/3/1 system)
Paused Bench Press 5x8-10
Chins 50reps
Pendlay Rows 5x8-10
Dips 50reps

Tuesday:
Squat (5/3/1 system)
Sumo Deadlift 5x5
Shrugs 5x5
Reverse Hypers 5x10-20

Wednesday:
DB Bench Press 5x8-10
DB Seated Shoulder Press 5x8-10
DB Incline Fly 100reps
DB Lateral Raise 100reps

Thursday:
Conv Deadlift (5/3/1 system)
Front Squat 5x5
Stiff Legged Deads (Wide Grip/Touch & Go) 5x8-10
Lying Leg Raise 5x10-20

Friday:
Military Press (5/3/1 system)
Bench Press (Touch & Go with chains & weights) 5x5
Chins 50reps
DB Rows 5x8-10
BB Curls 5x8-10

Saturday and Sunday: OFF

That's it. Later on i will include the Sumo and Front Squats in the 5/3/1 system in the program, i just have to learn the technic and gain some more strength in it first.

BOSS
10-23-13, 11:07 pm
Hey Dan

Greetings from Denmark I'am a big fan, and much respect. Have you ever been here in Denmark.???

I have this program, i want you to take a look at, and give some reply to it, if you want. ;) I have about +4 years off experience in training, and i have done the wendler 5/3/1 program for quite som time now, and i am a big fan of it. So now I want to put a bit more to it.

Monday:
Bench Press (5/3/1 system)
Paused Bench Press 5x8-10
Chins 50reps
Pendlay Rows 5x8-10
Dips 50reps

Tuesday:
Squat (5/3/1 system)
Sumo Deadlift 5x5
Shrugs 5x5
Reverse Hypers 5x10-20

Wednesday:
DB Bench Press 5x8-10
DB Seated Shoulder Press 5x8-10
DB Incline Fly 100reps
DB Lateral Raise 100reps

Thursday:
Conv Deadlift (5/3/1 system)
Front Squat 5x5
Stiff Legged Deads (Wide Grip/Touch & Go) 5x8-10
Lying Leg Raise 5x10-20

Friday:
Military Press (5/3/1 system)
Bench Press (Touch & Go with chains & weights) 5x5
Chins 50reps
DB Rows 5x8-10
BB Curls 5x8-10

Saturday and Sunday: OFF

That's it. Later on i will include the Sumo and Front Squats in the 5/3/1 system in the program, i just have to learn the technic and gain some more strength in it first.

Thanks man. I've been to Denmark many times altho now it's been several years. As far as the program, as long as you're making progress then great. I would not do any deads touch and go, especially not the stiff legs. I would also recommend doing classic bent over rows where the weights do not rest on the floor instead of the Pendlay rows, which I'm not a fan of. Dumbell Rows I'd do 3 sets of 15-20 instead of 5x10. Instead of doing 100 flyes and laterals I'd do 3 sets of 10-12 of each.

BOSS
10-23-13, 11:07 pm
Thanks man. I've been to Denmark many times altho now it's been several years. As far as the program, as long as you're making progress then great. I would not do any deads touch and go, especially not the stiff legs. I would also recommend doing classic bent over rows where the weights do not rest on the floor instead of the Pendlay rows, which I'm not a fan of. Dumbell Rows I'd do 3 sets of 15-20 instead of 5x10. Instead of doing 100 flyes and laterals I'd do 3 sets of 10-12 of each.

and for the paused bench 5x5-8 I'd recommend using a wider grip on these for more pec focus

J Wong
10-24-13, 12:06 am
I read through this thread last night and got some ideas for my next training cycle. Sumo block pulls are definitely going to be apart of it!

Primo
10-24-13, 12:39 pm

I will add those adjustments to my program, and try it out. Thanks Dan, I appreciate it. :)

Do you always rest the stiff legs on the floor then.? Think i saw it on some of your traning videos. I always tought they should be hanging.

Okay what where you doing here in Denmark, and what do you think of Denmark.?? Just qurious :)

BOSS
10-24-13, 5:34 pm
I read through this thread last night and got some ideas for my next training cycle. Sumo block pulls are definitely going to be apart of it!

Smart. I'd stick to sets of 3-5. Lighter isn't worthwhile and singles usually are unrealistic ally heavy--use those very sparingly!

RedlegDbell
10-24-13, 10:48 pm
Where can I find the Cube BOSS Method Dan? I checked the JTS store and didn't see it there

BOSS
10-25-13, 1:13 pm
Where can I find the Cube BOSS Method Dan? I checked the JTS store and didn't see it there

I have no idea. I have nothing to do with that. Brandon does the Cube method. I do not. If you are interested in my coaching I offer online coaching and programming to many athletes but have not released ANY of my own training protocols nor collaborated with Brandon or anyone else.

RedlegDbell
10-25-13, 1:53 pm
I have no idea. I have nothing to do with that. Brandon does the Cube method. I do not. If you are interested in my coaching I offer online coaching and programming to many athletes but have not released ANY of my own training protocols nor collaborated with Brandon or anyone else.

I'm sorry Dan. I had heard (can't remember where) that you and Brandon had put one together. Trying to figure out which method to do next. And that would certainly have been the winner.

BOSS
10-25-13, 7:07 pm
I'm sorry Dan. I had heard (can't remember where) that you and Brandon had put one together. Trying to figure out which method to do next. And that would certainly have been the winner.

It's all good, not your fault. I don't really know why people seem to think that I'm writing stuff with the cube method.

Chivalry
10-25-13, 7:16 pm
Hey Dan,

I was wondering what you would recommend for helping loosen up and gain more mobility in the shoulders?

Primo
10-28-13, 2:37 pm
Thanks man, currently I'm training with no belt or wraps on leg days, just trying to hit reps on the squat and deads, which I'm training conventional currently. For bench, I'm doing my standard day with a bar with paused reps and then touch and go reps, but I've also added a second chest day that is for mass which is just low incline DB presses followed by flyes. The thing that's helped me most with the squatting has to be front squats.

My basic split is:

M: squat no belt, paused squats (closer stance/high bar), stiff leg deads
T: DB bench, DB flyes, DB rows
W: front squats
TH: rest
F: conv. deads, deficit deads, stiff leg deads
SA: rest
SU: Paused bench, touch and go bench, DB laterals

Hey Dan

Looks like a very solid PL program. I would like to try it out someday. Maybe you could put in some set and reps for this program.???

Thanks

BOSS
10-28-13, 11:54 pm
Hey Dan

Looks like a very solid PL program. I would like to try it out someday. Maybe you could put in some set and reps for this program.???

Thanks

It would be kinda involved to spell out everything in this thread, but the basic idea is to start light and aim to hit tops sets of reps just a little heavier each workout. very basic linear loading. This was just kind of a stalling pattern so I could train lighter for a month before going back to real training. Most of the lifts are done for 5-8 reps tho if that helps. In the future I will lay out a couple of programs and how to follow them tho.

RedlegDbell
10-29-13, 12:47 am

Do you charge a standard fee for this or do you offer different options? Would I just email you to get more info? Thanks Dan.

BOSS
10-29-13, 6:30 pm
Do you charge a standard fee for this or do you offer different options? Would I just email you to get more info? Thanks Dan.

I basically coach people with custom programs which I send them every 1-2 weeks. They are based on that general split that you asked about, but the exercises, reps, weights, volumes are based on block periodization (accumulation phase, peaking phase, off season, hypertrophy, etc.) I also include my lifters in a private FB page where I have them post training videos that I then coach, which is VERY helpful for most. It's $35/week with a 10 week minimum to start.

RedlegDbell
10-29-13, 9:44 pm
I basically coach people with custom programs which I send them every 1-2 weeks. They are based on that general split that you asked about, but the exercises, reps, weights, volumes are based on block periodization (accumulation phase, peaking phase, off season, hypertrophy, etc.) I also include my lifters in a private FB page where I have them post training videos that I then coach, which is VERY helpful for most. It's $35/week with a 10 week minimum to start.

This sounds pretty interesting. Only part that bothers me about this is I might have to break down and register on "The Facebook" LOL. Thanks for the info Dan. I may get with you about this early next year.

BOSS
10-30-13, 11:56 am
This sounds pretty interesting. Only part that bothers me about this is I might have to break down and register on "The Facebook" LOL. Thanks for the info Dan. I may get with you about this early next year.

Well that wouldn't be a requirement, you could send me links to videos via email... unless you don't have an email... lol

ForeverPulling
10-30-13, 1:31 pm
After reading the rather unusual rules I'm scared to make my first post anywhere else so I figured I'll make it here.

My current programme Madcows 5x5 is going to take me to around a 405lb squat and 500lb deadlift soon I hope. Most of the guys I know hop onto 5/3/1 or The Cube; however, I don't really like these routines for a number of reasons.

I agree with a lot of the stuff you say and I've tried to take it and create a sort of bastardized routine, going 4 days per week because that's when I can, but with the same principles.

What do you think of the routine? What shall I cut out/change, I really like Front Squats by the way. Thanks a lot for your help:

Saturday Bench

Paused Bench: 2x3-4
CGBP: 2x5
Weighted Pull-Up: 3x5-10
Dumbell Row: 3x12-15
Inc. Fly: 3x15
3 lightweight sets bis+tris

Sunday Squat+SLDL

LB Squat: 2x3/4
Paused HB Squat: 3x6
Deficit SLDL: 3x6
GHR: 1x10+
Leg Extension: 1x15
Calves+Abs work

Tuesday Squat, Front Squat+Bench:

TnG Bench Press: 2x4-5
LB Squat: 2x4-5
Front Squat: 4x5
Paused Bench Press: 2x6
4 sets of arms+ 4 sets calves+abs

Thursday: Deadlift+OHP
OHP: Ramp-Up 1x5 Back Off 3x8-10
Sumo Deadlift: 2x3
Conventional Deficit DL: 2x6
GHR: 3x8
Barbell Row: 3x6
Chin-Ups: 4xF (short rest, "pump")
Lateral Raise: 3x12
Facepull: 3x15
R-Delt Fly: 2x12

If you can give me any advice I'd much appreciate it. I like to follow my routines for a long time and stick to them, so some advice first would help.

Jeppeehh
10-31-13, 7:05 am
Not sure if you have answered anything about stretching but I got one here. I have some problems with my squat and deadlift with the bottom position, in both. I'm not sure where the tightness come from, hamstrings, ankles(using liftingshoes with heel), glutes or lowerback. Getting that buttwink or lowerback rounding which sucks and I know that it's common.
So to the question, would YOU recommend me stretching at all, after or any other time of the day to increase the technique or should I just hope that the technique will come progressivily? I'm afraid that I will get some kind of injury before the technique is more on point.. And sure, the issue can be weaknesses somewhere as well and I've read about couple exercises that you can incorporate such as glute bridge, kneeling squats, planks etc to strenghten the glutes and abs. But I don't know and that's why I'm asking you.

Would appreciate any form of reply!

Ironasylum
10-31-13, 10:16 pm
Hey Dan iv got a question about the sumo iv been incorporating that into my training to hopefully break a 450 dl plateau but the problem i seem to have is i get knee pain in my left knee and havent really gotten comfortable in my setup or foot position yet any tips or suggestions for this

DANO
11-01-13, 1:09 am
My question is where can I get an Iconic shirt with you on it?
dude, as a fellow "long-hair" I would love to rock that!

Primo
11-04-13, 1:20 pm
Congrats with the 2033,5 LB Dan. Sorry you didn't get the results you wanted, but you looked good out there. SICK comeback on your 1st attempt Squat. CRAZY.!!

Best of luck for next meet champ

Universal Rep
11-04-13, 4:01 pm
Congrats with the 2033,5 LB Dan. Sorry you didn't get the results you wanted, but you looked good out there. SICK comeback on your 1st attempt Squat. CRAZY.!!

Best of luck for next meet champ

Apparently BOSS was sick right before the meet...

www.youtube.com/watch?v=jj2oGO6Sftw

DANO
11-04-13, 6:48 pm
Awesome.
Congrats!

Spill
11-04-13, 11:15 pm
Hey Dan,

Can you take a look at my routine and let me know what you think

Squat Day 400 training max 455 last tested

Exercise Reps Weight
Cat Squat 6 240 @ 60% every week increase percentage decrease reps repeat
Cat Squat 6 240
CatSquat 6 240
CatSquat 6 240
Cat Squat 6 240
Pause Front Squat 5 135 ...Try to add 5-10 pounds a week stay between 1-6 reps
Pause Front Squat 6 135
Pause Front Squat 6 135
Pause Front Squat 6 135
Ab Wheel 50

Deadlift Day 500 max 450 training max

SUMO
4 inch block 3 Max < Max out at 1-6 reps drop to 90% and do two more sets
4 inch block 3 Max
4 inch block 3 Max
Cat Deadlift 5 60% < every week increase percentage, decrease reps, repeat
Cat Deadlift 5 60%
Cat Deadlift 5 60%
Cat Deadlift 5 60%
Cat Deadlift 5 60%
SLDL 4 Deficit 6 315 add 5-10 pounds a week
SLDL 4 Deficit 6 315
SLDL 4 Deficit 6 315
SLDL 4 Deficit 6 315
Ab Wheel 40

So I wanna try this out for a year straight and just progress through set, reps and weight manipulation. What do you think. In year I would like to go form
450 squat to 570 and Deadlift from 500 to 620 which would be 2.5 pounds a week or ten pounds a month. I'll get back you on bench and press. Thanks Dan

Universal Rep
11-05-13, 12:07 pm
Hope ur at 100% and over the food poisoning/stomach flu BOSS and ready to kick it into a higher gear for the 11/16 meet in Melbourne...

BOSS
11-05-13, 3:58 pm
Not sure if you have answered anything about stretching but I got one here. I have some problems with my squat and deadlift with the bottom position, in both. I'm not sure where the tightness come from, hamstrings, ankles(using liftingshoes with heel), glutes or lowerback. Getting that buttwink or lowerback rounding which sucks and I know that it's common.
So to the question, would YOU recommend me stretching at all, after or any other time of the day to increase the technique or should I just hope that the technique will come progressivily? I'm afraid that I will get some kind of injury before the technique is more on point.. And sure, the issue can be weaknesses somewhere as well and I've read about couple exercises that you can incorporate such as glute bridge, kneeling squats, planks etc to strenghten the glutes and abs. But I don't know and that's why I'm asking you.

Would appreciate any form of reply!

Butt wink is generally a technique problem caused by squatting back too far or "sitting back" to much. Make sure you only draw your hips back AS you squat down, not before you bend your knees and not too much. Squatting is about bending the knees and staying flat footed. Pulling your hips back just enough to keep your weight centered through your ankles and arches is key. Some people treat sitting back as though THAT is the goal of a squat. But it's not--it's going DOWN!

Now, if your hamstrings are tight that can be addressed. Any stretch where your foot is elevated in front of you on a bench or table will work. Place your heel on the bench, pull your hips back and bend forward at the WAIST, making sure to keep your chest up. Otherwise you'll turn it into a low back stretch which is pointless

BOSS
11-05-13, 4:02 pm
Hey Dan iv got a question about the sumo iv been incorporating that into my training to hopefully break a 450 dl plateau but the problem i seem to have is i get knee pain in my left knee and havent really gotten comfortable in my setup or foot position yet any tips or suggestions for this

It could be a number of things but is most likely not pressing the knees out. That takes some strength and practice.

BOSS
11-06-13, 3:35 am
Well this is clearly something you've put quite a bit of thought into, as it looks to be very extensive. Are your goals based in strength gains? or muscle? or just both? Generally speaking, however, I'd say you could stand to have more sets of the basics: squat/bench/deadlifts and less of the accessory lifts. This is clearly a program that will take a great effort to follow, which is why I'd try to put more effort into doing more sets of the heavy, basic lifts and then what's left into the accessory lifts. But without knowing you or your goals or your rationale it's pretty tough to tell you what's best.

After reading the rather unusual rules I'm scared to make my first post anywhere else so I figured I'll make it here.

My current programme Madcows 5x5 is going to take me to around a 405lb squat and 500lb deadlift soon I hope. Most of the guys I know hop onto 5/3/1 or The Cube; however, I don't really like these routines for a number of reasons.

I agree with a lot of the stuff you say and I've tried to take it and create a sort of bastardized routine, going 4 days per week because that's when I can, but with the same principles.

What do you think of the routine? What shall I cut out/change, I really like Front Squats by the way. Thanks a lot for your help:

Saturday Bench

Paused Bench: 2x3-4
CGBP: 2x5
Weighted Pull-Up: 3x5-10
Dumbell Row: 3x12-15
Inc. Fly: 3x15
3 lightweight sets bis+tris

Sunday Squat+SLDL

LB Squat: 2x3/4
Paused HB Squat: 3x6
Deficit SLDL: 3x6
GHR: 1x10+
Leg Extension: 1x15
Calves+Abs work

Tuesday Squat, Front Squat+Bench:

TnG Bench Press: 2x4-5
LB Squat: 2x4-5
Front Squat: 4x5
Paused Bench Press: 2x6
4 sets of arms+ 4 sets calves+abs

Thursday: Deadlift+OHP
OHP: Ramp-Up 1x5 Back Off 3x8-10
Sumo Deadlift: 2x3
Conventional Deficit DL: 2x6
GHR: 3x8
Barbell Row: 3x6
Chin-Ups: 4xF (short rest, "pump")
Lateral Raise: 3x12
Facepull: 3x15
R-Delt Fly: 2x12

If you can give me any advice I'd much appreciate it. I like to follow my routines for a long time and stick to them, so some advice first would help.

Onumonster
11-06-13, 7:22 am
Could I pay you just for a program for me that is personalized to me?

pbclax1
11-08-13, 5:42 pm
Dan have you ever dealt with a couple weeks of deadlifting or any lift for that fact that just did not go as planned? Such as weights that should move well for reps were tough? How did or would you deal with this?

Jeppeehh
11-09-13, 10:19 am
Butt wink is generally a technique problem caused by squatting back too far or "sitting back" to much. Make sure you only draw your hips back AS you squat down, not before you bend your knees and not too much. Squatting is about bending the knees and staying flat footed. Pulling your hips back just enough to keep your weight centered through your ankles and arches is key. Some people treat sitting back as though THAT is the goal of a squat. But it's not--it's going DOWN!

Now, if your hamstrings are tight that can be addressed. Any stretch where your foot is elevated in front of you on a bench or table will work. Place your heel on the bench, pull your hips back and bend forward at the WAIST, making sure to keep your chest up. Otherwise you'll turn it into a low back stretch which is pointless
Thank you very much, I guess I should start focusing mainly on getting down and up in a straight movement. I've done something like this very often, before squatting down with the weight I shoot my "butt" back and then go down, which feels good in the start but maybe makes it easier in the bottom to round. Wellwell, thank you for the reply, I will check some of your squat videos and more.

tonyjfreeman
11-14-13, 5:44 pm
Dan, do you have any insight or general advice on how you have been so successful for someone just starting out? And I suck at front squats. I sit back too far and can't stay upright enough. I've been trying to use a clean grip, too, cause I've heard some slight negatives about cross arm, like one shoulder will be slightly higher, etc. The clean grip is uncomfortable, but I want to keep trying because I feel I ought to have the flexibility to do it. Is it just a matter of doing them more often, and should I try shoes with a raised heel? It's really an inspiration to see what you are doing in the sport Dan.

lixx2296
11-14-13, 11:17 pm
Hey Dan, could you pls share your workout playlist with us? Appreciate it!

Chop
11-15-13, 2:38 am
Dan...

When you were starting out with powerlifting, did you do any type of grip strength training?

Chop
11-16-13, 11:39 am
Dan...

You also said in a previous post that you primarily intake carbs pre workout, during your workout and post workout. I get the pre and the post thing. But, I have never throughout my years of training had any during my workout. So, I might be missing the boat here, but what types of sugars are you drinking during your workout? Gatorade, Powerade or something so cool I don't even know about? Thanks for all the help you give in this forum. It goes far beyond the normal appreciation...

Chop

NorthStrong
11-25-13, 9:28 pm
Hey Dan, big fan of your lifting here. Congratulations on another WR raw w/ wraps total.

I'm wondering if you think splitting up the movements over the week is a good way to do things. I'm running 5/3/1 right now which is a 4 days a week, with my assistance work inspired by how you do things. But I have things set up so that I am doing some variation of the competition lift 2x a week. Currently looks like this.

Squat 5/3/1
Pause Squats 3x5 - 70%
Deficit Deadlifts 3x8
GHR
Ab Work

Bench 5/3/1
Incline 3x5
DB Shoulder Press 3x10
Lots of Pullups
Rows 5x10
Triceps 3x10-20

Deadlift 5/3/1
Sumo Rack Pulls 3x5 (I don't have blocks, and should these be done from just below knee?)
Front Squat 3x8
GHR
Ab Work

Press 5/3/1
Close Grip Bench 3x5
DB Incline 3x10
Lots of Pullups
Upper Back 5x10
Biceps 3x10

I based this off of your articles "Pillars of the Squat" and "Pillars of the Deadlift" as well as your bench press recommendations.

Since you also recommend high bar squats and stiff leg deadlifts, do you think it would be a good idea to work them in every few cycles?

Just to give you some background I have been lifting for just under a year, and my maxes are something like 365/240/365. Looking to really bring up my deadlift over the next while. I'm wondering what kind of changes you would make to this routine, and your thoughts on it etc.

Thanks in advance Dan, and sorry for the long post.

NorthStrong
11-28-13, 1:39 am
disregard above post, I can't find the delete / edit button.

BOSS
11-29-13, 1:04 pm
Dan...

You also said in a previous post that you primarily intake carbs pre workout, during your workout and post workout. I get the pre and the post thing. But, I have never throughout my years of training had any during my workout. So, I might be missing the boat here, but what types of sugars are you drinking during your workout? Gatorade, Powerade or something so cool I don't even know about? Thanks for all the help you give in this forum. It goes far beyond the normal appreciation...

Chop

Powdered gatorade works really well. Two scoops during a high volume workout for me.

BOSS
11-29-13, 1:06 pm
Hey Dan, could you pls share your workout playlist with us? Appreciate it!

rap music tends to revolve around three 6 mafia and too short and metal probably megadeth or pantera. But there are other people in the gym and it varies and I really don't even care if there's music or not.

BOSS
11-29-13, 1:09 pm
Dan...

When you were starting out with powerlifting, did you do any type of grip strength training?

I didn't ever experience any grip problems until my deadlift was around 700. At that point I did some double overhand deadlifts/holds with an axle. But mainly doing high reps of pullups and dumbell rows had made my grip just fine. And really just deadlifting should be enough as long as you grip the bar correctly... which just means that it's set deep in your palms and that your wrists are straight.

BOSS
11-29-13, 1:10 pm
disregard above post, I can't find the delete / edit button.

Ok but honestly that program looks fine, the key is just starting with a template and then trying to do as much work within the template as possible.

BOSS
11-29-13, 1:17 pm
Dan, do you have any insight or general advice on how you have been so successful for someone just starting out? And I suck at front squats. I sit back too far and can't stay upright enough. I've been trying to use a clean grip, too, cause I've heard some slight negatives about cross arm, like one shoulder will be slightly higher, etc. The clean grip is uncomfortable, but I want to keep trying because I feel I ought to have the flexibility to do it. Is it just a matter of doing them more often, and should I try shoes with a raised heel? It's really an inspiration to see what you are doing in the sport Dan.

Front squats take a lot of flexibility and patience but are well worth learning. And you should use a raised heel. As far as advice it's the same as with the front squats: take the time to spend years getting strong with the basic barbell lifts and be dilligent in learning and mastering proper technique. That will lay the foundation for your best gains or will limit the gains you'd make. Either way depending on what your approach is.

NorthStrong
12-01-13, 7:17 pm
Hey Dan, a bit easier of a question for you here.

Where do you usually program in Barbell Rows, or where would you in this schedule.

Mon - Squat
Tue - Bench
Wed - Deadlift + Front Squat
Thu - Press
Fri - Squat
Sat - Bench

I will be doing DB Rows or Pullups on my bench and press days with a bit of shoulder and arm work after, and after squats I have just planned to do SLDLs and abs, and GHRs after the deadlift and front squat day.

Thanks, and happy birthday, hope you had a great one!

turling
12-05-13, 4:08 pm
Dan,

When you front squat, do you use your normal wider back squat stance or bring the legs in closer to target the quads more?

BOSS
12-06-13, 12:52 am
Could I pay you just for a program for me that is personalized to me?

Yeah I coach a healthy number of lifters online by writing their programming and looking at their lifting videos. Just email bossbarbellonline@yahoo.com for more info. Thanks

BOSS
12-06-13, 12:53 am
Dan,

When you front squat, do you use your normal wider back squat stance or bring the legs in closer to target the quads more?

I use a slightly narrowed stance. So shoulder width instead of outside the shoulders

BOSS
12-06-13, 12:54 am
Hey Dan, a bit easier of a question for you here.

Where do you usually program in Barbell Rows, or where would you in this schedule.

Mon - Squat
Tue - Bench
Wed - Deadlift + Front Squat
Thu - Press
Fri - Squat
Sat - Bench

I will be doing DB Rows or Pullups on my bench and press days with a bit of shoulder and arm work after, and after squats I have just planned to do SLDLs and abs, and GHRs after the deadlift and front squat day.

Thanks, and happy birthday, hope you had a great one!

Would do them after front squats

Rick R
12-06-13, 9:54 pm
Hi Dan, long time fan here and would like to ask you a question about my lifts

I am 15 and 220lbs and my lifts are :

Deadlift - 450
Squat - 315
Bench - 180 (I know, it is pretty bad)

Would you consider those lifts good for my age/weight?

Also, if you do any, what do you do for grip strength?

BOSS
12-08-13, 12:01 pm
Hi Dan, long time fan here and would like to ask you a question about my lifts

I am 15 and 220lbs and my lifts are :

Deadlift - 450
Squat - 315
Bench - 180 (I know, it is pretty bad)

Would you consider those lifts good for my age/weight?

Also, if you do any, what do you do for grip strength?

That's about what I lifted at 15 also, but the only thing that matters is getting better. ONly thing I've ever done for grip is deadlifts with an axle with a double overhand grip. For weight and/or time holding at the top

InspectahDeck
12-10-13, 4:46 pm
Dan,

I am having an inguinal hernia surgery in a few weeks. I have been training very hard for the spring meet I planned on attending. The past 6 months or so I have been training with this hernia, without knowing I had it. It doesn't cause much pain, but I realized I had it when I wen't to the doc for pain I thought was hip flexors/adductors.

Long story short, I cannot compete now, but I plan to come back. I wan't to retain as much strength in my lower body as possible, but it will be difficult to train because of the surgery. Can you recommend some exercises to help keep my hips, legs, etc. strong? I should mention this hernia was very likely caused by squats. Any tips / suggestions for what I should do?

Rick R
12-10-13, 10:09 pm
What are your thoughts on 5x5's such as StrongLifts?

Would you recommend a routine on this website such as Training Routine #2 (http://www.animalpak.com/html/article_details.cfm?ID=45) or a 5x5 for strength gain?

BOSS
12-11-13, 9:32 pm
What are your thoughts on 5x5's such as StrongLifts?

Would you recommend a routine on this website such as Training Routine #2 (http://www.animalpak.com/html/article_details.cfm?ID=45) or a 5x5 for strength gain?

The only thing I've ever trained with a 5x5 template was power cleans. It was the best mass gaining regimen I've ever followed. I'd highly recommend that, but otherwise I really can't say yes or no for squats or deads or something else.

BOSS
12-11-13, 9:36 pm
Dan,

I am having an inguinal hernia surgery in a few weeks. I have been training very hard for the spring meet I planned on attending. The past 6 months or so I have been training with this hernia, without knowing I had it. It doesn't cause much pain, but I realized I had it when I wen't to the doc for pain I thought was hip flexors/adductors.

Long story short, I cannot compete now, but I plan to come back. I wan't to retain as much strength in my lower body as possible, but it will be difficult to train because of the surgery. Can you recommend some exercises to help keep my hips, legs, etc. strong? I should mention this hernia was very likely caused by squats. Any tips / suggestions for what I should do?

I'm not familiar with that injury personally, but I imagine the only thing you can really try to do is maintain muscle mass. I'd do high high reps of hack squats (with a belt on) if I were you and lunges to maintain the hips/glutes... if you can't squat.

rhd9132
12-12-13, 7:17 pm
Dan, could you please critique my deadlift and offer advice on how to improve it? thank you

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RSnGnc1Qp4&feature=youtu.be

BOSS
12-12-13, 7:57 pm
Dan, could you please critique my deadlift and offer advice on how to improve it? thank you

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RSnGnc1Qp4&feature=youtu.be

You pretty much just pull with your lower back rounded. Everything else seems ok, but that would be a pretty big fundamental flaw here. You just need to tighten up your lower back at the start so only your shoulders round and not your lower back.

DeAngeloPT
12-15-13, 2:36 pm
Hey dan!

In your typical training split of
Squat
Shoulders
Front squat
Triceps
Dead lift
Rest
Bench

What sort of periodization do u follow in your training?
Conjugate(west side), linear, 5/3/1, etc? Just trying to further understand your training style and trying my best to emulate your approach.

BOSS
12-16-13, 10:40 am
Hey dan!

In your typical training split of
Squat
Shoulders
Front squat
Triceps
Dead lift
Rest
Bench

What sort of periodization do u follow in your training?
Conjugate(west side), linear, 5/3/1, etc? Just trying to further understand your training style and trying my best to emulate your approach.

Pretty much linear. I just go a little heavier each workout. The rep ranges are determined by the weight, but I try to force the volume to continually increase until I'm close to a meet and then the volume drops off and I focus primarily on the competition lifts.

DeAngeloPT
12-16-13, 2:28 pm
Pretty much linear. I just go a little heavier each workout. The rep ranges are determined by the weight, but I try to force the volume to continually increase until I'm close to a meet and then the volume drops off and I focus primarily on the competition lifts.

So you dont perform any speed work? just practice progressive overload?

thankyou for the reply btw it is very appreciated!

Id love to come to your january 4th seminar as well, but im located in New Jersey. Anyway you can get a seminar over here on the east coast?

Universal Rep
12-16-13, 3:41 pm
So you dont perform any speed work? just practice progressive overload?

thankyou for the reply btw it is very appreciated!

Id love to come to your january 4th seminar as well, but im located in New Jersey. Anyway you can get a seminar over here on the east coast?

There wuz one in Jersey in the summer... Did ya attend? Heres the vid from it.

DeAngeloPT
12-16-13, 5:02 pm
There wuz one in Jersey in the summer... Did ya attend? Heres the vid from it.

Sadly I didn't know about it this past summer

I just got into powerlifting this fall I previously had been training for college football and needed something new to compete in and powerlifting is my new love! Lol

Thanks for the vid!

macmillb
12-16-13, 5:38 pm

What method/program do you recommend that one should follow if their goals are to build muscle and also build power with the BIG 3 lifts. I ran 5/3/1 for quite sometime and got great results, and then I switched to PHAT (layne norton) Power Hypertrophy Adaptive Training. When I ran 531 I felt there wasn't enough volume and with PHAT, I just got burned out of it. Thank you sir!

Rick R
12-16-13, 9:59 pm
Why don't you compete in Bodybuilding Competitions?

smba
12-17-13, 8:26 pm
Hey Dan,

Big fan and just wanted to say thanks for doing this Q&A and sharing all this info with all of us (and for free too!).
Just a couple of quick questions:

1. Ever been to Montreal? Great city, you should get Animal to send you out here for a seminar. Oh yeah, and they have tim tams at the local grocery store. Block party followed by a couple of boxes?

2. And as usual: DL form critique. Link to a short compilation of some DLs in training and in a meet. I pull sumo, and have never missed a lift of the floor, always stalls right near the top. Needless to say I have programmed nothing but block pulls for the next 12 weeks. Notice any technical errors? Or is it just a strength issue.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctUMTLNGmYY

And good luck at RUM 7. Hope you can get another WR!

BOSS
12-18-13, 1:17 pm
What method/program do you recommend that one should follow if their goals are to build muscle and also build power with the BIG 3 lifts. I ran 5/3/1 for quite sometime and got great results, and then I switched to PHAT (layne norton) Power Hypertrophy Adaptive Training. When I ran 531 I felt there wasn't enough volume and with PHAT, I just got burned out of it. Thank you sir!

Honestly, I follow my own program. It's based on the main three lifts plus high volumes of overhead pressing, front squats and rowing for hypertrophy.

BOSS
12-18-13, 1:22 pm
[QUOTE=Rick R;1353703]Why don't you compete in Bodybuilding Competitions?[/QUO

Primarily because I've never had any desire to do so whatsoever.

BOSS
12-18-13, 1:30 pm
Hey Dan,

Big fan and just wanted to say thanks for doing this Q&A and sharing all this info with all of us (and for free too!).
Just a couple of quick questions:

1. Ever been to Montreal? Great city, you should get Animal to send you out here for a seminar. Oh yeah, and they have tim tams at the local grocery store. Block party followed by a couple of boxes?

2. And as usual: DL form critique. Link to a short compilation of some DLs in training and in a meet. I pull sumo, and have never missed a lift of the floor, always stalls right near the top. Needless to say I have programmed nothing but block pulls for the next 12 weeks. Notice any technical errors? Or is it just a strength issue.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctUMTLNGmYY

And good luck at RUM 7. Hope you can get another WR!

Never been to montreal. Only Toronto a few times. Your form looks good. You are missing due to strength. Block pulls are actually (counter-intuitively) better for starting strength not lockout strength. What you need to do is lots of conventional pulling or conventional deficit deadlifts. This will strengthen your back strength, which is your weak link when you miss. You should pull from a 8-10cm deficit for reps between 4-8 with each rep done from a dead stop. Do these a lot. Stiff leg deads are also a good way to add back/hamstring volume on top of that. Also done from a 8-10cm deficit.

smba
12-18-13, 7:34 pm
Never been to montreal. Only Toronto a few times. Your form looks good. You are missing due to strength. Block pulls are actually (counter-intuitively) better for starting strength not lockout strength. What you need to do is lots of conventional pulling or conventional deficit deadlifts. This will strengthen your back strength, which is your weak link when you miss. You should pull from a 8-10cm deficit for reps between 4-8 with each rep done from a dead stop. Do these a lot. Stiff leg deads are also a good way to add back/hamstring volume on top of that. Also done from a 8-10cm deficit.

Thanks a lot for the reply Dan. That's pretty much what I thought also. My 'offseason' plan for the DL going forward was pretty much that. Sumo block pulls (heavy) + conventional deficit (reps) on one day, conventional (heavy) + SLDL (reps) on another. With lots of rows sprinkled in throughout the week.

Once again thanks for the feedback!

DeAngeloPT
12-19-13, 12:17 pm
Hey Dan,

what would you say are the most beneficial AB/core exercises that you do in your training? The ones that carryover the most in helping with the big 3 lifts? and how often do you do them?

Primo
12-20-13, 2:56 pm
Hey Dan

My weak point in sumo deadlift is at the bottom-half of the lift, or the leg drive if you can say that. How do you strengthen that part of the lift.??

BOSS
12-20-13, 5:59 pm
Hey Dan

My weak point in sumo deadlift is at the bottom-half of the lift, or the leg drive if you can say that. How do you strengthen that part of the lift.??

I would do block pulls sumo with the weights elevated on 4" blocks for sets of 3-5 as heavy as possible and lots of front squats. This will build your hips, torso strength, upper back strength and quad strength

BOSS
12-20-13, 6:02 pm
Hey Dan,

what would you say are the most beneficial AB/core exercises that you do in your training? The ones that carryover the most in helping with the big 3 lifts? and how often do you do them?

The only thing I've really done in the past several years would be straight leg situps holding a weight behind my head. I would setup on a ghr with my feet hooked in and my hips off the pad. put a DB behind the head and lay back until your perfectly horizontal, pause, and then sit up. Pretty challenging. 2-3 sets of 15 or so should be pretty good. I used to do these a lot but now I almost never do any ab training.

The Untamed
12-22-13, 11:05 am
Hi dan ! I have a few questions, it may not be the appropriate moment to post them, but I hope you will have time to check these out ^^

-First off, I saw that you had a hamstrig injury (a tear) a while ago, I also have a hamstring injury since two months, and I'm coming back on squat and dead next week, I don't know if you have any kind of tips ? I mean basically, starting low in weight and coming up progressivly is the way to do ? I don't know if there is exercice that may help the injured zone ?

-I have two questions on benching ! I have a lot of trouble to push the bar "back" in front of my delts, I kinda push in a straight line apparently, and it really bothers me, I felt much better when I was able to do so. So I don't know here again, what should I do to help pushing backward, I thought military press would be a great solution ? I hit my lats really hard, they're much stronger than my delts/pecs/tri but maybe I don't know how to use them.. And second, I really have hard time to progress on my bench, and I would like to up the frequency a bit, to 3 times a week I believe, but I have absolutly no experience or knowledge on high frequency training on bench, so I really don't know what to do, actually I bench once a week, and have a military press day, I go on a top set every week on the bench, trying to add 5 pounds or reps every time, I go very high in volume on the accessory work since I want to gain a lot of mass/weight.

-And... again a question on benching, I was surprised when I saw this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMzmwoD1Sec your heavier set is you 7th set ! Could you explain why and how you like to train your bench ?

Thank you very much Dan, and wish you the best for RUM 7!!

(ps : I really apologize if it's hard to understand my english, I live and europe, did my best!)

rshelton242
12-22-13, 3:43 pm
Hey I know you pull sumo in competition, but when i see you doing your deficit pulls its usually or always conventional. Just curious what your reasoning behind this is as I am also a sumo puller. Thanks in advance for the help man!!!

BOSS
12-23-13, 1:14 pm
Hi dan ! I have a few questions, it may not be the appropriate moment to post them, but I hope you will have time to check these out ^^

-First off, I saw that you had a hamstrig injury (a tear) a while ago, I also have a hamstring injury since two months, and I'm coming back on squat and dead next week, I don't know if you have any kind of tips ? I mean basically, starting low in weight and coming up progressivly is the way to do ? I don't know if there is exercice that may help the injured zone ?

-I have two questions on benching ! I have a lot of trouble to push the bar "back" in front of my delts, I kinda push in a straight line apparently, and it really bothers me, I felt much better when I was able to do so. So I don't know here again, what should I do to help pushing backward, I thought military press would be a great solution ? I hit my lats really hard, they're much stronger than my delts/pecs/tri but maybe I don't know how to use them.. And second, I really have hard time to progress on my bench, and I would like to up the frequency a bit, to 3 times a week I believe, but I have absolutly no experience or knowledge on high frequency training on bench, so I really don't know what to do, actually I bench once a week, and have a military press day, I go on a top set every week on the bench, trying to add 5 pounds or reps every time, I go very high in volume on the accessory work since I want to gain a lot of mass/weight.

-And... again a question on benching, I was surprised when I saw this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMzmwoD1Sec your heavier set is you 7th set ! Could you explain why and how you like to train your bench ?

Thank you very much Dan, and wish you the best for RUM 7!!

(ps : I really apologize if it's hard to understand my english, I live and europe, did my best!)

First of all, I have no idea who edits the videos, but the weight listed was only correct once and the sequence of the workout was incorrect. The actual sequence of the workout was that I had done:
Paused Rep Bench:
415x1
460x5
460x5
460x5
Speed Bench
425x4
425x4
425x4
425x4
425x7

As you can see there is no accessory work, just a lot of benching. A third bench exercise that I have done for a long time now is the wide or extra-wide grip bench, done with a pause on every rep, for sets of 6-8 reps. These are the backbone of bench technique and strength. THey will fine tune your bar path and will teach you how to properly use your chest and triceps. What you may be doing incorrectly that would stop you from flaring the elbows and pushing the bar back is possibly gripping the bar incorrectly. If you hold your hand out in front of you, in a fist, as though you've just thrown a punch, you'd notive that your fist may rotate in slightly. This is how I try to grip the bar, with my hands rotated in slightly and with most of the pressure in the thumb, index finger and middle finger. If you start with the hands internally rotated, you can still tuck your elbows in a little for strength at the bottom of the bench but it won't be too much AND you will be able to rotate your elbows back out to flare as you press the weight up. If you grip with your elbows tucked in and your fist externally rotated you'll never be able to flare and fully engage your chest. It'll be all triceps... good luck getting a hug bench out of just tricep growth. That's the smallest of the three muscles: pecs, delts, tris. That will never work as well as a technique balanced with all three.

For my hamstrings I would put ice on it 4x per day, and keep it wrapped in a compression bandage throughout the day. It was torn with lots of bruising but only at the tendon that attaches to the outside of the knee. It healed in 10 days.

JamesMaher
12-24-13, 3:06 pm
Hi Dan, i've been struggling with my squat for a while and i can't seem to find a technique that works for me. I position the bar just above my rear delts and use a medium stance. Here's some recent footage - http://youtu.be/IM2dUYVbuFY http://youtu.be/oweefPAOcnY

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

BOSS
12-24-13, 3:10 pm
Hi Dan, i've been struggling with my squat for a while and i can't seem to find a technique that works for me. I position the bar just above my rear delts and use a medium stance. Here's some recent footage - http://youtu.be/IM2dUYVbuFY http://youtu.be/oweefPAOcnY

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Work with lighter weights that you can squat with for sets of 5-8 reps for 3 sets -- you need to squat all the way down if you ever want to make impressive progress
then squat with a high bar position with a lighter weight and squat down and pause 3 seconds before coming up. The key is to do a high volume of good squatting with moderate weights to build up your leg strength.

JamesMaher
12-24-13, 3:47 pm
Work with lighter weights that you can squat with for sets of 5-8 reps for 3 sets -- you need to squat all the way down if you ever want to make impressive progress
then squat with a high bar position with a lighter weight and squat down and pause 3 seconds before coming up. The key is to do a high volume of good squatting with moderate weights to build up your leg strength.

Thanks for your help. I've been finding it hard to hit depth even with a much lighter weight. Do you think sitting back too much and not opening up my hips enough is contributing to this?

BOSS
12-25-13, 12:23 am
Thanks for your help. I've been finding it hard to hit depth even with a much lighter weight. Do you think sitting back too much and not opening up my hips enough is contributing to this?

The general areas that must be flexible in order to squat are your calves, hamstrings/glutes, and groin. You must be able to flex the ankle to keep your heels planted as your knees bend and travel forward, and you must be able to sit down/slightly back without losing your low back arch, and you likely need to spread your knees open somewhat as you get low in order for your hips to drop to depth and not either shoot back or have your back round. Those are the general flexibility requirements. On top of that, doing machine hack squats all the way to the bottom for high reps (sets of 20) should help add the quad strength you'll need to be comfortable staying under the weight as your flexibility improves.

JamesMaher
12-25-13, 3:18 pm
The general areas that must be flexible in order to squat are your calves, hamstrings/glutes, and groin. You must be able to flex the ankle to keep your heels planted as your knees bend and travel forward, and you must be able to sit down/slightly back without losing your low back arch, and you likely need to spread your knees open somewhat as you get low in order for your hips to drop to depth and not either shoot back or have your back round. Those are the general flexibility requirements. On top of that, doing machine hack squats all the way to the bottom for high reps (sets of 20) should help add the quad strength you'll need to be comfortable staying under the weight as your flexibility improves.

What rep range would you recommend using for the pause squats?

I have no problem hitting depth while doing front squats or high bar squats. Would this suggest that my depth issues while low bar squatting are more to do with technique and strength than lack of mobility?

I'll incorporate more volume on the low bar squat (focusing on technique), high bar pause squats and machine hack squats into my training as you suggested.

NeilD181
12-30-13, 6:14 am
Hello Dan, my question is about how you train the last couple of weeks before a meet. When do you generally have your last heavy session on each lift? Is this usually your last session before the meet or do you just taper the intensity coming into the meet? How many days before a meet do you generally stop all training?

Sorry for the barage of questions but havent found anywhere you discuss 'peaking' strategies etc (although may have missed it).

Thanks mate :)

BOSS
12-30-13, 6:33 pm
Hello Dan, my question is about how you train the last couple of weeks before a meet. When do you generally have your last heavy session on each lift? Is this usually your last session before the meet or do you just taper the intensity coming into the meet? How many days before a meet do you generally stop all training?

Sorry for the barage of questions but havent found anywhere you discuss 'peaking' strategies etc (although may have missed it).

I usually do my last heavy squat about 5 days before the meet last heavy bench about 6-7 days and last heavy dead about 2 weeks. I may do a lighter dead closer. Otherwise that's it. I don't do any light workouts.

BOSS
12-30-13, 6:34 pm
What rep range would you recommend using for the pause squats?

I have no problem hitting depth while doing front squats or high bar squats. Would this suggest that my depth issues while low bar squatting are more to do with technique and strength than lack of mobility?

I'll incorporate more volume on the low bar squat (focusing on technique), high bar pause squats and machine hack squats into my training as you suggested.

No It's probably mobility since it requires a greater amount of hip mobility to take a wider stance and lower bar position and hit depth. It's not likely strength, but practice rather.

JamesMaher
12-30-13, 8:57 pm
No It's probably mobility since it requires a greater amount of hip mobility to take a wider stance and lower bar position and hit depth. It's not likely strength, but practice rather.

Do you recommend doing mobility work everyday?

I did pause squats (high bar/medium stance) for the first time today. They were more difficult than i had anticipated but it was nice to actually feel my legs/hips doing the work instead of my lower back. I'll definitely keep doing them as an assistance exercise from now on. Until now i had been doing pause squats with a wide stance and a low bar position. If i haven't been hitting depth while doing normal reps using that setup then i must have been pausing high making them counterproductive.

BOSS
12-31-13, 11:06 am
Do you recommend doing mobility work everyday?

I did pause squats (high bar/medium stance) for the first time today. They were more difficult than i had anticipated but it was nice to actually feel my legs/hips doing the work instead of my lower back. I'll definitely keep doing them as an assistance exercise from now on. Until now i had been doing pause squats with a wide stance and a low bar position. If i haven't been hitting depth while doing normal reps using that setup then i must have been pausing high making them counterproductive.

Yeah anytime you can pause, you'll be able to feel whether or not you're in a good position or a bad position based on if your legs start to feel the weight and tighten up or if your back does!

As for mobility, the big thing here is it takes a lot of pushing with it every day at least to really improve flexibility but it only takes a lesser effort to maintain the mobility/flexibility once it's established. Plus if you lift through a full range of motion with the weighted exercises then that tends to reinforce your mobility.

The Untamed
12-31-13, 3:03 pm
Thanks a lot for the answer about benching ! I'm going to work on my grip then. The fact that I have to bench with a bar that has a smaller diameter may play a role then also. I believe that I was already rotating my hands in slightly naturally, but I'm going to pay attention to it now, also I may descend the bar too low on the chest or on my belly maybe. I will shoot a vid next week maybe it will be flagrant on video. I also incorporate wide grip bench w/pause to try to use more my pecs off the chest, that would be great since my pecs are a strong area compared to my triceps especially. Thanks again Dan that's really amazing !

Oh and in the last animal video (your december highlight), apparently a lot of people are saying that you did the rows and the pull ups before your deadlift, I was doubtful, were they done before your dead ? if yes, could you maybe explain why ? Thank you !

tkon
12-31-13, 9:04 pm
There is insane amounts of good information in this thread ><

I'm interested in trying out the bench tips and I'm also wondering now about my squats and deadlifts.

I had a question my self though Dan. You previously said you hurt your SI joint and I'm wondering if I've done the same. It's just to the right of my left glute on my tail bone and really flares up if my head is down and my femur comes towards my chest. If so what did you do to help this? Also I've never taken any anti inflammatory because It thought they had a negative impact on muscle growth, but what do you take if you're feeling that flare up?

BOSS
12-31-13, 9:41 pm

I'm interested in trying out the bench tips and I'm also wondering now about my squats and deadlifts.

I had a question my self though Dan. You previously said you hurt your SI joint and I'm wondering if I've done the same. It's just to the right of my left glute on my tail bone and really flares up if my head is down and my femur comes towards my chest. If so what did you do to help this? Also I've never taken any anti inflammatory because It thought they had a negative impact on muscle growth, but what do you take if you're feeling that flare up?

Well that definitely does not sound like what I had lol. I could not stand up for more than a minute without searing pain in my right leg, couldn't lay on my back at all and laying on my stomach was even worse. What you're describing sounds like an actual sprained low back ligament or possible SI joint sprain. The head down thing is common for low back injuries. My injury was that the joint was literally popped out of place and stuck there for 4 months.

BOSS
12-31-13, 9:45 pm

And as for advil... I take it because it 1. works really well, 2. totally not only alleviated the pain of 3 bulging discs in my thoracic spine 2 years ago that made squatting virtually impossible, but actually permanently took that injury away after only 2 weeks of advil--I'd had it for 2 years. and 3. I'm not a scientist, but I do know that in the big picture you can ONLY gain muscle if you can train hard lol, so if no advil means no training... I'm taking advil and training!

BOSS
12-31-13, 9:48 pm
Thanks a lot for the answer about benching ! I'm going to work on my grip then. The fact that I have to bench with a bar that has a smaller diameter may play a role then also. I believe that I was already rotating my hands in slightly naturally, but I'm going to pay attention to it now, also I may descend the bar too low on the chest or on my belly maybe. I will shoot a vid next week maybe it will be flagrant on video. I also incorporate wide grip bench w/pause to try to use more my pecs off the chest, that would be great since my pecs are a strong area compared to my triceps especially. Thanks again Dan that's really amazing !

Oh and in the last animal video (your december highlight), apparently a lot of people are saying that you did the rows and the pull ups before your deadlift, I was doubtful, were they done before your dead ? if yes, could you maybe explain why ? Thank you !

sequence was deads, pullups, rows

The Untamed
01-01-14, 6:54 am
That makes much more sense, thanks!

Extremly interesting for the advil, sorry it might sound stupid as well, but would you use advil essentielly for ""bones injury"", I mean not for a muscle tear or stuff like that 'cause it could aggravate the tear ? I have a bone displacement (I did it 3 years ago when I was 13, in a basketball game) around the glutes/hamstring, and it has caused elongation/muscle strain (don't know how to translate it sorry) 2-3 times, but recently I got a big one which keep me away from squatting and dealifting, it's a bit better now but feel like this fucking bone will never let me train the way I want to, I never took anti inflammatory, I'm really confuse I don't know if this would just hide my pain when I train and in fact aggravate the injury.. but to keep it simple lol, would you take it only for a "bone injury/stuff like that" and train with or using it with a little muscle strain wouldn't be a bad idea ? Thank you very much for the time you put in this thread to answer questions that's awesome don't know how to thank you the way you deserve (this sentence just took a bad tournure now I read it a second time but anyway^^), I hope my question isn't inapprehensible.

tkon
01-01-14, 5:54 pm
Dan, I was wondering when you're trying to lose weight and cutting, maybe more so in the past, what did you do about your programming? Did you leave it to the same, or reduce volume? I'd imagine keeping intensity is important to keep muscle mass.

The Untamed
01-04-14, 1:13 pm
Hi Dan, I'm just getting back from an injury (glute/hamstring ad hip flexor...), first time I squat since almost 4 months, so this is very light weight, but I would like to come back with a perfect form, not that my old form wasn't good, but if I can get a better one, I take it, I took 3 angles and put it in the same vid, thank you very much ! I have a little trouble around the //, because if I let myself "fall down" to get the rebound in the hole I go ATG while I'm squatting low bar and my butt round and I don't know for my back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqW9Ok_GGZE

NeilD181
01-06-14, 3:01 pm
I usually do my last heavy squat about 5 days before the meet last heavy bench about 6-7 days and last heavy dead about 2 weeks. I may do a lighter dead closer. Otherwise that's it. I don't do any light workouts.

BOSS
01-06-14, 5:02 pm
That makes much more sense, thanks!

Extremly interesting for the advil, sorry it might sound stupid as well, but would you use advil essentielly for ""bones injury"", I mean not for a muscle tear or stuff like that 'cause it could aggravate the tear ? I have a bone displacement (I did it 3 years ago when I was 13, in a basketball game) around the glutes/hamstring, and it has caused elongation/muscle strain (don't know how to translate it sorry) 2-3 times, but recently I got a big one which keep me away from squatting and dealifting, it's a bit better now but feel like this fucking bone will never let me train the way I want to, I never took anti inflammatory, I'm really confuse I don't know if this would just hide my pain when I train and in fact aggravate the injury.. but to keep it simple lol, would you take it only for a "bone injury/stuff like that" and train with or using it with a little muscle strain wouldn't be a bad idea ? Thank you very much for the time you put in this thread to answer questions that's awesome don't know how to thank you the way you deserve (this sentence just took a bad tournure now I read it a second time but anyway^^), I hope my question isn't inapprehensible.

Not sure I really get what your injury was, but displacement sounds like an injury that would involve a sprain. Anti-inflammatories are always advisable in my opinion. If they allow you to train hard that's crucial. if you're worried they will slow healing I don't know what to tell you. They promote healing because inflammation is so so bad for all the tissues you're dealing with. Healing will happen. Just with advil you'll be able to train AND heal

BOSS
01-06-14, 5:03 pm
Dan, I was wondering when you're trying to lose weight and cutting, maybe more so in the past, what did you do about your programming? Did you leave it to the same, or reduce volume? I'd imagine keeping intensity is important to keep muscle mass.

Well I always cut before a meet, never any other time. And during that time my meet prep requires that I train heavy (high intensity). The volume tends to be low, as that promotes recovery and the body freshening up.