PDA

View Full Version : opinions on this Full Body high frequency low volume split

King
12-11-12, 4:56 am
I have read many different websites and articles by people like Martin Berkhan and kelly baggett and i agree with their ideas that for a natural bodybuilder seeking to gain mass, a once-a-week per bodypart high volume approach is NOT optimal. A muscle that is worked 2-3x a week will always grow faster than a muscle that is worked only 1x a week (provided volume is low enough for recovery). I feel that hammering a bodypart 1x a week with 20~ sets and going beyond failure with high intensity techniques (dropsets etc) is overkill and should be left to genetic freaks or those on drugs.

I've thought of using an A-B split, but decided to use this split involving ONLY heavy compound exercises. I am only focusing on the big 7 compound exercises; Front Squats, Deadlifts, Weighted Chins, Weighted Dips, OHP, Pendlay Rows and Incline Bench.
This is my current split:

Wed: Deadlifts, OHP, Chins, Dips

Fri: Front Squats, Incline Bench, Chins

Sun: Front Squats, OHP, Rows, Dips

(Emphasis on FSQ, OHP and incline bench because i am currently focusing on quads and shoulders, as well as upper chest)
All exercises are 2-3 working sets (after warm ups) and between 4-8 reps, (except weighted chins and dips 5-10), and using
RPT Method ( http://www.leangains.com/2008/12/reverse-pyramid-revisited.html ).

I have been doing this for a few weeks, and i have seen strength increases in every lift so far. I feel fully recovered between workouts and strength has not been compromised ( possibly due to low volume), and overall i feel that this is a more efficient way of training.

It has worked well for me so far, would like to know if anyone trains like this, and critique/opinions on my split is welcome.

greatkeen
12-11-12, 11:40 pm
well you can't really go wrong with basic compound movements now can you? All looks good. I follow a similar pattern, but have split my exercises in terms of push/pull, this way i am able to hit a body part/exercise twice in 7 days. Usually go for Mon-Wed-Fri scheme.

One thing i would recommend (may be u are already taking care of) is to focus on Progression. Doing same workout over & over again will not really do u any good unless there is some sort of progression built in it.

TruMotivation
12-12-12, 12:29 am
It's all about your overall goal, I have killed one body part a day(what I am doing now) and getting phenomenal strength results, and I have worked out muscles twice a week and got pretty toned up. You definitely got to eat for mass. Your recovery is everything. I do 3-4 exercises per body part 4 sets and I am whooped by the end of it but still have that pump. I read a article on here stating you shouldnt work out till you feel like you have to crawl out the gym but know you have worked out and have the pump. this past june I was trainng my supervisor frmo 5am-6am doing heavy weights, then 6am-7am I train the air force to help them with their PT test, then after work I do crossfit for 30 min. I lost 15lbs and was ripped. With crossfit I did all of the works outs you mentioned. I didnt gain much mass but I was in the best shape of my life. Thought I was going to be over training but it didnt happen. Still was lifting 300+ on bench. Out running my squadron. Which brings me back to what I 1st said, figure out your overall goal.

King
12-13-12, 7:17 am
well you can't really go wrong with basic compound movements now can you? All looks good. I follow a similar pattern, but have split my exercises in terms of push/pull, this way i am able to hit a body part/exercise twice in 7 days. Usually go for Mon-Wed-Fri scheme.

One thing i would recommend (may be u are already taking care of) is to focus on Progression. Doing same workout over & over again will not really do u any good unless there is some sort of progression built in it.

Yeah im a huge fan of compounds as i believe there is no better way to gain overall muscle mass. My progression would be the increases in the main lifts in my split, as those exercises hit every part of my body and i feel it is unnecessary to switch it up unless i were to stagnate on that movement.