PDA

View Full Version : The Continuous Fight for Self Improvement

Extreme
12-11-12, 11:57 am
I've contemplated a great deal as to whether or not I should start a thread here, and after much thinking I've come to a simple conclusion...Record what you do and how you do it, and make yourself accountable. It's time to do away with the excuses and get to work. I've allowed negativity to control my thoughts and lack of action for far too long.

I don't know what the future has in store for me, but I do know this. I want to be a better person...I want something greater...I want to always be self improving! It's time to do some work.

I've been away from the gym for well over 2 years, and in that time I've lost all strength, all stamina and all endurance. I'm overweight and outta shape and I have no one to blame for that except myself. I take full responsibility for it and that is why I begin my journey here.

I'm starting out simple...no crazy workout routines, nothing complex, no bullshit. My focus is simply getting to the gym and getting in a workout. Slow and steady is the name of the game. My main goal at this time is to get into the gym on a consistant basis, meaning at least 3 times a week. I'm going to concentrate on the basic lifts (Squat, Deadlift, Bench Press), with supporting lifts thrown in as I feel them necessary, with a concentrated effort on cardio.

Supps and diet are also gonna be on the simple side. I've got Animal Pak, Whey Isolate and Torrent for supps and meals will consist of mostly venison, chicken, fish and beef for proteins. Oats, potatoes and rice for carbs. And any and all veggies I feel like eating.

I've been back in the gym off an on for the last 3 weeks, getting back into the swing of things. Now that I'm comfortable with the different lifts and proper techniques again I'll post my workouts as they're accomplished. Its feeling good to be back and I'm expecting BIG things from myself!

Extreme
12-12-12, 9:13 am
Walked into the gym last night not feeling 100%, but motivated enough to get to work. Warmed up with some light cable rows and a bit of walking on the treadmill, stretched and got to it.

Cable Rows, Close Grip: 5 sets, 15, 12, 10, 10, 10
Wide Grip Pulldowns: 4 sets, 12, 10, 10, 10
Hammer Strength Seated Rows: 3 sets, 10, 10, 10
Straight Arm Pulldowns: 3 sets, 10, 10, 10
Deadlifts: 3 sets, 10, 10, 10

Biggest thing I tried concentrating on was squeezing each rep, making sure the targeted muscle/s were getting hit properly.

Finished up with 20 minutes on the treadmill and downed my Torrent.

All in all I feel pretty good. The back is a little tight today, but that's a good thing b/c at least I know I accomplished something. Only down side is a woke up with a scratchy throat. I'm hoping it won't turn into something more, and for now I've got a bag of Ricola's by my side. Gonna have to see how the rest of the day pans out. Might have to make a run to the store for some meds.

Extreme
12-13-12, 9:36 am
So the scratchy throat turned into a cough, and as the day progressed the other symptoms of a cold hit as well. Just when I get momentum and motivation on my side my body decides to turn the opposite direction. Total frustration! But I'm not going to let it put me down. I'm going to allow my body the time it needs to beat whatever this is. The last thing I want to do is put too much stress on my CNS and really go down for the count. I've done it before and learned my lesson the hard way.

But for those of you that may read this, what's your take on working out when/if you come down with a cold? Can it be ok to go in and get a moderate workout accomplished, or is it best to steer clear until the body recovers from fighting the symptoms? I've never really been too sure about that.

Hollow
12-13-12, 10:05 am
But for those of you that may read this, what's your take on working out when/if you come down with a cold? Can it be ok to go in and get a moderate workout accomplished, or is it best to steer clear until the body recovers from fighting the symptoms? I've never really been too sure about that.

For myself, I'm fine to workout with a cold. If it's more severe, say like the flu, I steer clear of the gym.

Extreme
12-13-12, 10:19 am
For myself, I'm fine to workout with a cold. If it's more severe, say like the flu, I steer clear of the gym.

Thanks for the reply Hollow.

Hollow
12-13-12, 11:20 am
Thanks for the reply Hollow.

No problem. As a side note, I find if I'm feeling "something" coming on, I increase my intake on Vitamin C and Vitamin D3 (the soft gel capsules).

Extreme
12-13-12, 12:11 pm
I increase my intake on Vitamin C and Vitamin D3 (the soft gel capsules).

Yeah, I was at the store stocking up on that exact thing as soon as I got off of work yesterday. And despite having the cold medication flooding my system at the moment I'm feeling fairly energetic, which is a change b/c usually I get very lethargic.

deanna7272
12-13-12, 12:14 pm
In for the ride!!!

Extreme
12-13-12, 1:56 pm
In for the ride!!!

Haha, always good to know I've got ya cheering in my corner Dee!! Support is a great motivating factor!

deanna7272
12-13-12, 2:46 pm
Haha, always good to know I've got ya cheering in my corner Dee!! Support is a great motivating factor!

Absolutely... I know how difficult it is to get "back" into the game... I know what it's like to feel like I have the weight if the world pushing against you... I know the mental craziness of prep and post contest... I know that hunger, either mental and physical...

I guess there is a place for me in this crazy ass world....lol

Extreme
12-14-12, 9:33 am
Tried to get with it yesterday, despite having this cold, but the body said no! I was in the process of warming up and as the body temp started rising I started feeling dizzy. That was enough for me to call it quits. Took another round of medicine, downed some more vitamin c and kept the jug of water next to me the remainder of the night. Hoping this cold will go on somewhere b/c I don't have time for it.

Extreme
12-17-12, 1:39 pm
Feels like I've been run over by a semi and I haven't even been in the gym. WTH? Been fighting this cold since Thursday of last week and the body isn't liking it. Sore throat and cough are gone, but the congestion in my head has only gotten worse. The only time my head wasn't congested was when I was out walking over the weekend, but as soon as I stopped it went back to the way its been. Hoping it'll clear up in the next few days. I've got a flight to Pittsburgh scheduled for Wednesday morning.

Tauscheck
12-17-12, 9:30 pm
I use to power through colds untill about two years ago. I was feelin a cold coming on, about half way through work I got a sore throat. I continued to the gym and to football practice, that night my sore throat turned worse. 2 days later i spent a night in the hospital cause of a infection in my tonseils and throat. I couldnt eat, drink, talk or hardly swallow my own spit. After the swelling went down I ended up on a soup diet for a week. I had a hard time getting back in the gym, I felt weak maybe from the medication or lack of diet. I wont be making that mistake again, Im not sayin that always happens but in rare occasion it could happen and for me it only took once. Now when I feel a cold or flu, I down the vitamins and take it easy.

deanna7272
12-17-12, 9:32 pm
Feels like I've been run over by a semi and I haven't even been in the gym. WTH? Been fighting this cold since Thursday of last week and the body isn't liking it. Sore throat and cough are gone, but the congestion in my head has only gotten worse. The only time my head wasn't congested was when I was out walking over the weekend, but as soon as I stopped it went back to the way its been. Hoping it'll clear up in the next few days. I've got a flight to Pittsburgh scheduled for Wednesday morning.

How long are ya gonna be here???

MAB
12-17-12, 10:07 pm
I've been told to power through colds as long as they're not too serious. But I honestly prescribe to my body and what it's telling me to do. I know that there are some days where I just feel like I don't have a workout in me, but I go in and do it anyways. Those are the best workouts. They're the ones that let me know what I'm really made of. I may not start out motivated, but by the end I'm exhausted and I've given it my all and I think that's what counts. But on days that I'm feeling cold symptoms I'll sit in the sauna. Or if it's just congestion I'll do some light cardio to try and move the mucus out of my system.

I work with kids, and while I love the little boogers, they LOVE to share germs. So it seems like every time I turn around I've got congestion or something. I know it's annoying as hell to not be at the top of your game. Myself, I'm stubborn and quick to anger with myself in those situations... I try to keep it in check but there are times it drives me and I push beyond my limits and end up doing more damage than good. So definitely listen to your body... it'll let you know what's best for you.

Hollow
12-18-12, 8:20 am
So definitely listen to your body... it'll let you know what's best for you.

That is definitely the bottom line right there as stated by MAB.

On a side note, you made me laugh with your choice of words describing the kids you work with, "boogers". I have a three year old and right now that's one of his favorite words.

MAB
12-18-12, 5:34 pm
On a side note, you made me laugh with your choice of words describing the kids you work with, "boogers". I have a three year old and right now that's one of his favorite words.

I also chose the word "boogers" bc they're full of 'em... I can handle the tears, the blood, most of the poo, and most days the vomit... but the mucus... UGH, the mucus gags me every freaking time! You have a lil one yourself... so I'm sure you KNOW what I'm talking about. Imagine 14 of them running around you all at once! HAhaha

Extreme
12-26-12, 9:03 am
How long are ya gonna be here???

Sorry Dee, just now seeing this. Once I got to PA my phone quit and I had no internet access at my mom's house. I was only there until Christmas eve, and then back down to GA.

Extreme
12-26-12, 9:11 am
I've been told to power through colds as long as they're not too serious. But I honestly prescribe to my body and what it's telling me to do. I know that there are some days where I just feel like I don't have a workout in me, but I go in and do it anyways. Those are the best workouts. They're the ones that let me know what I'm really made of. I may not start out motivated, but by the end I'm exhausted and I've given it my all and I think that's what counts. But on days that I'm feeling cold symptoms I'll sit in the sauna. Or if it's just congestion I'll do some light cardio to try and move the mucus out of my system.

I work with kids, and while I love the little boogers, they LOVE to share germs. So it seems like every time I turn around I've got congestion or something. I know it's annoying as hell to not be at the top of your game. Myself, I'm stubborn and quick to anger with myself in those situations... I try to keep it in check but there are times it drives me and I push beyond my limits and end up doing more damage than good. So definitely listen to your body... it'll let you know what's best for you.

I've powered through colds myself in the past and can totally agree with what you said in regards to some of the best workouts coming from the days where you have to FORCE yourself to be in the gym. It just seems that as time goes on my body doesn't do well when trying to keep up with working out AND fighting a cold at the same time. I like the light cardio idea though. I tried a little of that while I was in PA and it really helped!

I also know how you feel in regards to the little ones and their germs. I've got a 6 yr old that loves to bring home all of the wonderful colds and flus he picks up at school, lol. But I wouldn't trade it for the world. He keeps me going in the right direction...even if that sometimes means we're both down and out with a cold or flu.

Extreme
12-26-12, 9:17 am
So my Christmas break has come and gone, and the head cold I had 3 weeks ago still lingers. Flew to PA to be with family for Christmas and while I was there I didn't have a chance to get to a gym, but I was able to get in a few days of cardio. Its amazing what a good run in cold temps can do!! It never got EXTREMELY cold, but when you're used to 60's during the day and mid 40's at night, taking a run in 30 degrees is an eye opener!! lol. Then throw in hill after hill, which I'm usually not used to, and it makes for a heck of a cardio session.

Back to it today though. I'll be headed to the gym as soon as I finish up my shift for the day. Not exactly sure what body part I'll be hitting today, but as is sometimes the case I'll decide that once I step foot inside the gym.

deanna7272
12-26-12, 9:23 am
Sorry Dee, just now seeing this. Once I got to PA my phone quit and I had no internet access at my mom's house. I was only there until Christmas eve, and then back down to GA.

You sir, STINK... lol

Believe me, I know the whole phone deal... Mine completely died last Friday!! I can't renew until Jan 26 and now I am stalking the mail lady because I had to order one on eBay for a replacement!!! ((Saved me $70, so...lol)) I don't know what I'd do without the Internet to at least have some kind of contact...lol.

Was thinking about ya over Christmas, I was just "ugh" with the thought of Christmas, but I finally put my tree top on my tree about 1 am Christmas morning... I just couldn't get into it, but my tree top being on the tree finally made it Christmas.. ((Not that I was a ball of cheer yesterday, but...lol))

Hope you had an enjoyable visit!!!

Extreme
12-26-12, 10:01 am
You sir, STINK... lol

Believe me, I know the whole phone deal... Mine completely died last Friday!! I can't renew until Jan 26 and now I am stalking the mail lady because I had to order one on eBay for a replacement!!! ((Saved me $70, so...lol)) I don't know what I'd do without the Internet to at least have some kind of contact...lol.

Was thinking about ya over Christmas, I was just "ugh" with the thought of Christmas, but I finally put my tree top on my tree about 1 am Christmas morning... I just couldn't get into it, but my tree top being on the tree finally made it Christmas.. ((Not that I was a ball of cheer yesterday, but...lol))

Hope you had an enjoyable visit!!!

lol...it definitely sucked not having a phone or the internet at first, but after day 2 I actually enjoyed it. Didn't have to worry about this, that or the other thing b/c I simply didn't know about it, haha. I've gotta get to verizon myself. I can't do anything on my phone for more than a few minutes without the battery dying on me. Not sure what's going on, but my renewal isnt until May so I've gotta get something figured out :P

I was right there with ya in the "ugh" department. This Christmas was really hard for me. It was the first time back home since my dad past away, and my mom did nothing but give me gifts of things that I had given my dad over the years that he held onto to remind him of me. That and it was the first time I had been to his grave site since the funeral. So needless to say there were more tears shed than there were smiles. I did my best to make it great for my son (and I'm pretty sure I succeeded), but other than that there wasn't a whole lot of holiday cheer coming from me. It was nice to be there with family and I actually enjoyed seeing snow again, but if I had it my way I would have been content with just keeping to myself and chillin this Christmas.

Extreme
12-27-12, 9:45 am
Got home from work yesterday and had NO motivation, but I knew I had to keep with it b/c one less day training is one more day tacked on to me not reaching my goals. I threw some workout clothes on and decided to work on an area that is more often than not rejected by me...my core! And along with the core work I threw in some cardio/crossfit.

Warmed up with a few minutes of jumping jacks, then got to it.

Crunches: 3 sets of 15
Trunk Twisters: 3x20
Scissor Kicks: 2x20
Leg Raises: 3x12 (The last set of these had my lower abs SCREAMING)

After this I decided to test myself and got down into the plank position to see how long I could hold it. I've been told that someone with a strong core can hold this position for 3 minutes or more...well lets just say I've got another goal to work towards. I made it to the 1 minute 37 second mark and was shaking like a mad man.

Finished things off with 3 sets of 10 burpees and strecthed things out after that.

Getting back into the gym and starting to workout again has made me realize just how far I had fallen. I see how bad things have become and I see the damage I did to myself, not only physically, but mentally as well. The road back is going to be long and I'm sure there's going to be a lot of construction along the way, with bumps, curbs and detours, but I'm determined to get back to my former self in respect to my physicality...and this time I want to push past even that to something much greater. Back into the gym tonight. Thinking legs or back workout at the moment, but I'll make the final call once I'm there.

MAB
12-27-12, 1:14 pm
Glad to see that you pushed past your lack of motivation and made the best of your time in the gym :) I always feel more accomplished on the days when my heart is not all in for hittin the gym.

I totally agree that you should aspire to surpass your old self. Just keep at it and don't beat yourself up too badly for falling... we all fall at some point in time. But without the dark we would never fully appreciate the beauty of light.

Extreme
12-27-12, 3:43 pm
I totally agree that you should aspire to surpass your old self. Just keep at it and don't beat yourself up too badly for falling... we all fall at some point in time. But without the dark we would never fully appreciate the beauty of light.

I'll admit that I'm my own worst cridic, but I do agree with you in regards to the lights and darks of life. Sometimes I feel its unfortunate that we all have to suffer through the dark, in our own ways (and sometimes b/c of our own actions or stupidity), and when we do see the beauty of the light it seems as though we either don't appreciate it enough, or it quickly fades away b/c we allow something else in life to extinguish it. But I'm grateful for the dark times that I've had to endure b/c it not only humbles me, it also helps me enjoy and appreciate the light even more when those moments present themselves. The dark times are also times of learning for me. I'm a God fearing man and I realize there will be trials and tribulations thrown my way, and its up to me to pull through...but its HOW I pull through that molds me into who I am. So if I fall flat on my face then I learn from it and I know not to do it the same way again. Oh the joys of life! haha.

Extreme
12-28-12, 8:49 am
Another one in the books, but I did things differently last night. Usually I get off work and either go straight to the gym b/c I've got my gear with me, or I go home, change and then head to the gym. But what I've been finding is everyone else tends to do the same thing and the gym always seems to be crowded. And if there's one thing that gets under my skin the most its a crowded gym b/c I'm NEVER able to get to the weights or equipment I need and I'm constantly warming up and cooling down, which I believe is counter productive. So instead of heading to the gym immediately following work, I took it to the house and waited it out. Got to the gym right at 7pm and was amazed that there were only 5 other cars in the lot besides mine.

Decided to get in a chest and tris workout. I ended up being VERY humbled after the workout was complete. I went into it thinking I'd be able to get in some good reps, get a good pump and feel good afterwards. I couldn't have felt more different! I fatigued far faster than I ever imagined, didn't even come close to feeling a good pump and felt like crap by the time I was done, lol. But I guess I shouldn't expect much after being away for 2+ years. I felt like that teenage boy walking into the high school anex for the first time to lift, thinking he could put up some decent weight...only to find out he's not as strong as he thought he was. Only difference this time around is I left my ego at the door, and when I realized I wasn't going to be able to lift the weight I had hoped for I just went and grabbed some lighter weight. I refuse to sacrifice good form for trying to show out in the gym...its just not going to happen. Anyways, I got through the workout and that's what counts.

Warmed up with 10 minutes on the treadmill, then stretched and got to it.

Chest Presses on Hammer Strength machine: 4 sets, 15, 12, 10, 8
Fly Machine: 3x12
DB Bench Press: 3x10
Close, Reverse Grip Bench Press: 3 sets, 12, 10, 10
One Arm Reverse Grip Cable Pushdowns: 3x10

Finished the night off with 25 minutes on the treadmill, trying to keep with a decently paced jog. Was doing great with it until I accidently flipped the emergency stop button off the machine, which caused me to come to an abrupt hault after only 12 minutes...so I had to reset everything and started it up again for the last half of cardio.

Cooled down, did a little more stretching and downed my Torrent. I might not have lifted any kind of heavy weight, but I'm certainly feeling it today. Its the good hurt though, and for that I'm grateful.

Extreme
12-31-12, 8:51 am
Took last Friday off, but got back into the gym on Saturday. One major thing that was noticed was how different my energy and strength levels were when I was able to take the time to eat right and at the proper times. It opened my eyes and allowed me to see the flaws in the way I eat when I have to work during the week. I'm working on a way to change that so my eating schedule doesnt have to change...more details on that as I figure it out.

Got in a GREAT back workout on Saturday though. I was able to use increasing weight with each set for each exercise and I felt as though I was finally able to accomplish something. Hoping this is a long lasting trend.

Warmup on treadmill for 10 minutes, then stretched.

Deadlifts: 2 warmup sets, 15 reps.
5 sets, 10, 10, 8, 8, 6

Pulldowns (Wide Grip): 3 sets, 12, 10, 8

Seated Cable Rows (V-grip): 3 sets, 10, 10, 8

Hammer Strength Row Machine (Overhand grip,shoulder width): 3 sets, 12, 10, 8

Hyper Extensions (body weight): 3x8

Cardio: 30 minutes on the treadmill.

Wasn't feeling the cardio at first b/c I was fairly exhausted from the back exercises, but once the back loosened up a bit it made the cardio easier. After getting off the treadmill I stretched again and downed my Torrent. I actually look forward to the end of the workout b/c I find myself loving the taste of the Torrent, haha.

I took Sunday off, but plan to get back at it tonight. I'm wanting to do legs, but the lower back is telling me that might not be such a good idea, so shoulders and biceps might be on the agenda. I'll have to see how I feel as the day progresses. Still trying to figure out what I'm doing here at work today...the base is dead and any work I do will be in vein b/c no one is here to complete any processes. Easy payday I guess.

Extreme
01-01-13, 3:16 pm
I've come to the conclusion that my body officially hates me. Came down with some kind of stomach bug yesterday afternoon and its carried over into today. Dry toast and ginger ale it is...what a way to ring in the new year.

deanna7272
01-01-13, 4:27 pm
I've come to the conclusion that my body officially hates me. Came down with some kind of stomach bug yesterday afternoon and its carried over into today. Dry toast and ginger ale it is...what a way to ring in the new year.

Tomorrow is a new day...

Believe it, you are not the only person out there doing toast and ginger ale today... At least you didn't inflict it on yourself...lol.

Hope it passes quickly...

Extreme
01-02-13, 9:58 am
Feeling well enough to get back into the gym today. After only being able to eat some scrambled eggs and toast yesterday I know I'm not going to have a whole lot of strength or endurance, but I'm going to get in there regardless. If for nothing else I can concentrate on cardio. Rugby training starts up again next week and I know I'm far from ready, but any kind of running/jogging/endurance training is a plus at this point.

G Diesel
01-02-13, 11:59 am
Good to see you start a Journey my brother. I'll be following along and checking you out.

Peace, G

Extreme
01-02-13, 12:25 pm
Good to see you start a Journey my brother. I'll be following along and checking you out.

Peace, G

Certainly appreciate the support G. Your words and thought process are a great motivator for me. Thanks for checkin out my journey. Lookin forward to a positive and constructive 2013.

Extreme
01-03-13, 12:02 pm
So I get in touch with one of my teammates yesterday and ask him if he's game for a good workout. The kind of workout where you can push yourself a little more and go with heavier weights b/c you know you'll have a spot if need be. So he agrees to it and we get the details ironed out and....the SOB doesn't pick up his phone when I call to see where he's at!! So rather then wait I decide I'll just get in a workout on my own b/c I'll be damned if I'm gonna let someone slow me down when I'm motivated and hungry for more. My only dilemma was the time. So I rushed to the gym and decided to only work one body part instead of two, which was the original plan. I hit up shoulders and kept things at a much faster pace then what I usually try to shoot for. The only breaks were me getting up to change weight. Ended up being a very productive workout b/c I had an insane pump going on by the time I finished.

Warmed up with light dumbbells just to get the blood flowing in the shoulders, stretched and got to work.

Seated Military Press on Smith Machine: 4 sets, 15, 10, 8, 6

One arm Cable Side Laterals: 3x8

Front Raises with EZ Bar: 3 sets, 10, 8, 10

Reverse Pec Deck for Rear Delts: 3 sets, 12, 10, 8

Upright Rows: 3 sets, 15, 12, 8

Jumped on the treadmill for another 30 minutes. Increased the running intervals by a total of 5 minutes and felt pretty good. Hoping the old lungs are adapting and the endurance can continue to increase.

Stretched and downed my Torrent.

Extreme
01-07-13, 9:19 am
Had the weekend off to spend time with my son, but back at it today. Probably a good thing that I gave the body time to recover b/c this week will be a good test. Rugby practice starts up again on Tuesdays and Thursdays and my plan is to be in the gym Mon, Wed, Fri. Its time for a little torture, haha, but I'm looking forward to it. My main focus this season will be trying to stay healthy. I haven't had the best of luck the last 3 seasons. Snapping my ankle the first season, rehabbing all of the second season, then breaking a few fingers the third season and knocking loose something on the inside that took far too long to heal. So crossing my fingers and hoping that my increased training outside of the season will help in keeping my body intact!

Extreme
01-08-13, 12:12 pm
Back in the gym last night...along with everyone else and their mother that decided on getting into better shape for their new year's resolution! I purposely waited b/c I knew it would be bad, but even later on in the evening the place was still packed. OH well, nothing I could do about it, so onward ho! haha.

I went in wanting to do legs and I actually lucked out. There were people 3 and 4 deep waiting to use almost every, single piece of equipemnt ACCEPT for the squat rack and other leg exercise apparatus. I might make monday's my official leg day. Not only will I know that I can get to all of the equipment, I'll also be able to give them a full week to recover, in hopes they'll be ok on saturdays for rugby matches. Still don't know how practices will go, but I'll know more after this week.

Workout felt good last night and I was pleasantly surprised with the weight I was able to use. Far more than what I was thinking.

Warmed up with leg extensions SS w/ leg curls: 5 sets, 15, 12, 10, 10, 6
(Strecthed as the muscles warmed up)

Super Squat Apparatus: 5 sets, 15, 12, 8, 8, 6
(This machine is perfect for me in my rugby training. It allows me to take a forward facing stance and I can then drive forward, just as I need to do in the scrum).

After the last set of 6 I was huffing and puffing for air and trying my best to keep down my previous meal. Haven't felt that in a LONG time!

Finished with seated calf raises: 3 sets, 15, 12, 12

Legs were trembling after I was done, but I forced myself to do cardio b/c it won't be any different once I'm in a match. Jumped on the treadmill for 20 minutes. Tried to jog for 10 of those minutes, but the legs just couldn't keep up after 8 minutes, so I walked it out for the remaining time. Gladly sat down to throw back my Torrent and took it to the house.

First pracitce tonight...anxious to see how things will go.

Extreme
01-14-13, 10:36 am
Wow!! Body took a severe beating with the first week of rugby training starting up. I was hoping to continue my strength training in the gym, while getting in my endurance training during practices, but the focus is definitely going to have to change. I tried working legs last Monday, then had rugby on Tuesday and Thursday and once the weekend rolled around I had nothing. So instead of concentrating on strength training in the gym I think I'm going to switch it up and concentrate on endurance training in the gym, as well as at rugby practice. With rugby matches being 80 minutes long, two 40 minute half's I've gotta work on my overall cardiovascular training b/c at the moment its lookin like I won't even make it for one half.

Back in the gym tonight, but will be looking at super sets and possibly circuit training. I'll make the change and see how it goes. If for nothing else I'll keep with this until the end of the matrix in March...then I've got the rest of the year to concentrate on the strength training.

Extreme
01-15-13, 12:24 pm
Failed at getting to the gym last night, but I'm not going to beat myself up over it. I was hoping to get home from work, get my meals cooked up for the next few days, then head to the gym...but I couldn't get the damn grill to lite. Took me a while to figure it out, and once I got it going it took forever to cook up my food. By the time I had everything cooked and I actually sat down to my dinner it was too late for the gym....but now I've got meals for the next 3 days ready to go. Steak, chicken and venison all portioned out with veggies and sweet taters.

Rugby practice tonight...stepping up the intensity another notch. Only 4 practices left until the season opener.

Extreme
01-16-13, 12:34 pm
Practice was cancelled last night, but didn't let it phase me. Hit the road for a 2 mile run, then worked on wind sprints and passing drills until dark.

Feeling more energetic during the day, but still would like to SEE some changes. Maybe the body is slow to react this time around, I'm not sure, but I'll continue driving forward in hopes that improvement is there...even if its not visible to me at this time.

Extreme
01-18-13, 2:27 pm
Frustrating end to the week. Longer hours at work and other events outside of work kept me from getting to the gym for a proper workout this week. Got in some cardio Thursday and hope to get in some more this weekend. Back on track come Monday. Not even close to giving up the fight...just finding what the speed bumps are going to be along the way. Remaining focused and motivated.

Hollow
01-18-13, 2:36 pm
... Remaining focused and motivated.

Life happens but like you said, remain focused and motivated. That also helps to get over those little speed bumps.

Extreme
01-23-13, 9:33 am
Why is it that I tend to forget how sore the body becomes when it is constantly getting beat into the ground?!? Between training in the gym and getting to practice I am fully realizing that I'm no longer 18, haha. The body tends to take a bit longer to recover and the soreness never seems to go away...but I wouldn't want it any other way. I'm still "feeling" the improvements even if I can't see them.

Gym workouts haven't been stellar, but I'm getting in there and getting work done. I'm pretty sure there won't be a significant change with that until the rugby season is over and done with. Been concentrating on the basics: squats, deads and bench press. Threw in a few isolating movements when working chest last week w/ flys, but other than that just a basic 3 or 4 sets, 8-10 reps per set for the last 2 workouts.

Core work tonight, then practice again tomorrow, with our first match of the season on Saturday.

Hollow
01-23-13, 10:23 am
Gym workouts haven't been stellar, but I'm getting in there and getting work done. I'm pretty sure there won't be a significant change with that until the rugby season is over and done with. Been concentrating on the basics: squats, deads and bench press. Threw in a few isolating movements when working chest last week w/ flys, but other than that just a basic 3 or 4 sets, 8-10 reps per set for the last 2 workouts.

Core work tonight, then practice again tomorrow, with our first match of the season on Saturday.

That's great that you're getting in the gym and still being able to hit the three main lifts. It's keeping the progress moving forward.

Good luck with your match on Saturday!

Extreme
01-23-13, 3:42 pm
That's great that you're getting in the gym and still being able to hit the three main lifts. It's keeping the progress moving forward.

Good luck with your match on Saturday!

Thanks Hollow. Anxious to see the outcome of the match Saturday. We've got a lot of new faces on the team this year. Hoping practice pays off and we can get it together the moment the ball is kicked into the air.

Extreme
01-28-13, 10:59 am
What a weekend...First match of the season was a success, final score 128-0. And even this out of shape, big man found his way to a try. The match opened my eyes to things that I can improve on and I learned what NOT to do in certain situations (b/c the body paid the price).

Back into the gym this afternoon. Looking to get in a full body workout in hopes of flushing the system, getting the muscles warmed up and then stretching everything REALLY well. Also need to hit the cardio harder. I held up a lot longer then I thought I would on Saturday, and played the entire 80 minutes, but I still know I can be better.

Down side to this weekend was my chest freezer crapping out on me. I lost close to 50 lbs of venison, chicken and fish...NOT happy about it!! A lot of time and money lost, and good nutrition gone to waste. Its gonna take me a while to rebound from this one, but first things first, I need to either figure out what happened to the freezer, or I need to get out and find a new one.

Extreme
02-05-13, 11:32 am
Need to get back on track!! Not giving up! Rugby's been having its way with me as of late. Battling a few minor injuries, and have failed at getting into the gym. Refocusing and getting my head back in the game.
3 more regular season matches left...just need to survive until then.

deanna7272
02-05-13, 12:03 pm
Need to get back on track!! Not giving up! Rugby's been having its way with me as of late. Battling a few minor injuries, and have failed at getting into the gym. Refocusing and getting my head back in the game.
3 more regular season matches left...just need to survive until then.

Get your ass back into that gym!!!! (I was yelling, just so you know...)

How's the diet looking??? That stinks about losing all that meat... A hit to the wallet and the belly.... Hope al, that has been taken care of so that you get back to you... Winter stinks, Spring is coming (not sure what the fat rat said, but) we have to get ourselves ready to she'd that winter coat (literally and figuratively....lol)

Other than all that I just lectured you on, I hope you're doing well...

Extreme
02-05-13, 2:59 pm
Get your ass back into that gym!!!! (I was yelling, just so you know...)

How's the diet looking??? That stinks about losing all that meat... A hit to the wallet and the belly.... Hope al, that has been taken care of so that you get back to you... Winter stinks, Spring is coming (not sure what the fat rat said, but) we have to get ourselves ready to she'd that winter coat (literally and figuratively....lol)

Other than all that I just lectured you on, I hope you're doing well...

Thanks Dee!! Exactly the type of motivational kick in the ass I needed! Sometimes yelling is what it takes ;)

Diet hasn't been too bad (but could definitely improve). Been eating a TON of venison (trying to use what I could before it all went bad)! I'll admit I'm getting burnt out on it though, so it's time to switch things up. Will be hitting up the ol' butcher on payday for some chicken. Not really counting carbs right now b/c of rugby b/c I need all I can get, but as soon as the season is over I plan to start cutting back the carbs. I've got at least 3 or 4 of the "winter coats" I've gotta shed that you mentioned, lol.

Sounds like you guys are still getting pounded with winter weather...I'm sure that sucks. We've had a crazy winter (even for Georgia). One day its 80 and sunshine, the next morning its 30 and windy. Everybody's sick and there's no where to hide from it.

Extreme
02-06-13, 1:01 pm
Back in the gym last night. Didn't have a lot of time in between work and other meetings I had to attend, but I made the most of it. Felt decent for not having been to the gym in almost 2 weeks. Kept things basic and simple, concentrated on form and mind/muscle connection.

10 minute warmup on treadmill.

Bench Press: 5 sets, 15, 12, 10, 8, 6...used increasing weight with each set.

Flies on Pec Deck: 4 sets, 15, 12, 12, 10...increasing weight with each set for this as well.

EZ Bar Curls (using outside grip): 5 sets, 12, 10, 8, 10, 12...pyramid with the weights.

Situps: 3 sets of 15.

30 minutes of cardio on the treadmill.

Finished with my Torrent and headed out.

I had a GREAT day with keeping track of my eating, until I got home late last night. Didn't eat bad, as I polished off the rest of the chili I had made over the weekend, but ate more than I should have. Its been really hard for me to maintain portion control. But every time I do control my portions its another step in the right direction.

deanna7272
02-06-13, 1:17 pm
Much better... Hey, that's what I'm here for...lol

Today is my first day back, and it was a 2 hour delay, since last Thursday... No days last year, and we have already used our 5 this year...lol It's been snowy and icy, then 70 degrees, and back to snow and ice...lol. Plays havoc on the immune system...lol

Extreme
02-08-13, 12:51 pm
Much better... Hey, that's what I'm here for...lol

Today is my first day back, and it was a 2 hour delay, since last Thursday... No days last year, and we have already used our 5 this year...lol It's been snowy and icy, then 70 degrees, and back to snow and ice...lol. Plays havoc on the immune system...lol

Its funny you mention the immune system b/c I'm certain that mine HATES me! I don't know why but it seems like everytime I get back in the gym and I want to get going the ol' body says HELL NO. I came down with a fever, chills and cold sweats late Wednesday night and it carried over into Thursday. Still not feeling all that great today, but at least I'm able to get to work. But I also know its just going around right now, and even with me taking a pak every day and doing what I can to stear clear the sickness ends up finding me anyways.

Taking the weekend off for the body to fully recover from whatever it is I had. No rugby, no gym, but come Monday its GO TIME!

Extreme
02-12-13, 10:19 am
Wanted to get to the gym last night, but flash flooding stopped me from getting there. We go 5 years with minimal rain and then all of a sudden it all comes at once!! I was lucky to just get to work this morning. But despite not getting to the gym I still got some work done. Used a workout from the rugby coach that only requires body movements. Ended up being a great cardio workout and left me exhausted. I did everything as fast as possible, as this is a workout that is done on time.

100 jumping jacks
75 body squats (as low as I could go)
50 pushups
25 burpees

11:08.

Not the fastest by any means, but I pushed myself to my own personal limits. Thinking about doing this at least once a week to see if I can improve on the overall time.

The rain is still steady and the waters are only rising around here. Not sure what the next few days will hold, but hoping the flood waters will stay away from the house.

Extreme
03-19-13, 9:23 am
Well, I've just noticed its been over a month since I last posted...a lot has happened in a month, some of it good, some of it not so good. Struggling mentally and physically, trying to find motivation. I know the desire to be someone better has to come from within, I just haven't found that desire as of late. Change HAS TO happen!! To be continued...

deanna7272
03-19-13, 9:56 am
Well, I've just noticed its been over a month since I last posted...a lot has happened in a month, some of it good, some of it not so good. Struggling mentally and physically, trying to find motivation. I know the desire to be someone better has to come from within, I just haven't found that desire as of late. Change HAS TO happen!! To be continued...

And it will... You will find it in the most unlikely of places... You KNOW your goals, you KNOW what to do and HOW to do it, and when it hits it will be full steam ahead... There are so many things in life that we control, but the ones we CAN'T control far outnumber them. Take each day and learn from it, and move on... You are in control of you and that's all we can ask for right now...

Thinking of ya, sending thoughts of strength and focus.... You will get there, I promise, and it WILL be worth it...

Extreme
03-20-13, 9:29 am
And it will... You will find it in the most unlikely of places... You KNOW your goals, you KNOW what to do and HOW to do it, and when it hits it will be full steam ahead... There are so many things in life that we control, but the ones we CAN'T control far outnumber them. Take each day and learn from it, and move on... You are in control of you and that's all we can ask for right now...

Thinking of ya, sending thoughts of strength and focus.... You will get there, I promise, and it WILL be worth it...

Thanks for the motivation and thoughts Dee, it certainly helps.

Made it into the gym last night, first time in about a month. Feel like I'm basically starting all over again. Despite that I went in and hit things as hard and heavy as I could. Ended up working shoulders and calves.

Warmed up with 50 jumping jacks, then stretched.

Shoulder Press: 5 sets, 15, 12, 10, 8, 6
Side Laterals: 3x12
Front Raises: 3x8
Rear Laterals on Pec Deck: 4 sets, 15, 12, 12, 10
Upright Row on Smith Maching: 2 sets, 15, 12
Seated Calf Raises: 4 sets, 25, 20, 15, 15

Finished with 10 minutes on the stairmaster.

Nothing spectacular, but its a start and something that I can build off of. Had some kind of tweak in my right shoulder doing side laterals...thinking its one of my many rugby injuries coming back to haunt me. I stretched things out and modified the way i lifted my arm on the next set and the tweak went away, so I'll just need to keep an eye on that in the future.

Tonight I'll just be concentrating on some core work before heading to basketball.

deanna7272
03-20-13, 9:43 am
And I quote....

Nothing spectacular, but its a start and something that I can build off of....

Listen, you got there, you got the heart rate going, you got a rush of blood to the muscle, and endophins were released.... All good stuff!!! I know some may say, get in there balls to the wall and do work, yes that works for some.... but sometimes jumping in with both feet sets us up for failure... At times a toe in to test the water is the better progression... Only YOU will know what's good for you...

Always here to support, and I will get back to your message today!!! Keep it up brother, it's so worth it (for you and those around you!!!)

Extreme
03-22-13, 10:45 am
Another date with the gym scheduled for tonight. Feelin pretty good after Tuesday's w/o and playing basketball on Wednesday. Tonight will be a back w/o...gym should be almost empty, usually is on Friday's b/c everyone's out trying to hook up, haha.

deanna7272
03-22-13, 1:21 pm
Another date with the gym scheduled for tonight. Feelin pretty good after Tuesday's w/o and playing basketball on Wednesday. Tonight will be a back w/o...gym should be almost empty, usually is on Friday's b/c everyone's out trying to hook up, haha.

We loooove training Friday nights and after hours Saturday... Gym is empty, bars are full...

Extreme
03-25-13, 2:13 pm
Let's try this for a third time...so far the server hasn't liked too much today.

Got my back w/o in on Friday. Was feeling good mentally and made the mistake of going "all or nothing" on deads and paid the price. Still feeling the negative effects today. But up until that point I had a great w/o!

Warmup and stretching, then got to it...

Pulldowns (wide grip): 5 sets, 15, 12, 10, 10, 8
Seated Low Cable Row (close grip): 4x8
Hammer Strength Row Machine (2 sets close grip, 2 sets wide grip): 4 sets, 10, 8, 8, 8
Deads: 5 sets, 10, 8, 6, 3, 10 (went heavy on the 4th set, but lost grip strength and didn't have any wraps)

Cardio: 20 minutes stairmaster.

Back in the gym tonight for an arm w/o. Hoping to get in and out before the Monday evening crowd takes over and there are just people standing around, taking up equipment, not working out, but just BSing.

Extreme
03-26-13, 9:44 am
Arm w/o done and in the books...again it was nothing stellar, but I worked em hard enough to feel the effects. Just frustrated that my strength wasn't where I thought it would be, BUT I believe I was able to pinpoint why. Going into my w/o yesterday I had only consumed 1500 calories, and I had ended the previous day only getting in 2200 calories,coming short of the 2500-2700 I have set for myself. So if I'm not going to keep the body sufficiently fueled I get what I get when I start lifting. So I've gotta tweak the diet some more and get this stuff figured out.

Warmup and stretching as always, then got to it.

One Arm Behind the Head Extensions: 4 sets, 15, 12, 10, 8
Barbell Curls: 4 sets, 12, 10, 8, 8
Rope Cable Pushdowns: 3 sets, 10, 10, 6 (already fatigued, but dropped the weight in half and immediately pumped out 9 more reps to failure)
DB Alternating Curls: 3x8
Tricep Cybex Machine: 3x8
EZ Bar Curls: 3 sets, 10, 8, 8

Cardio: 20 minutes stairmaster (set the machine to fat burn and it kicked my trash, haha)

deanna7272
03-26-13, 10:00 am
Like the antagonistic training, especially for arms... I have done it for a while, but as of late (well, the last 12 weeks) I've gone bis then tris... Will be changing back I'm sure, at some point, but still following this plan...

Make sure you're not missing meals (1500 cal reference)... If you're anything like me, missing meals causes an over consumption at the worst times OR the even worse, the wrong choices...

Like the consistency, keep it up!!!

Extreme
03-26-13, 11:04 am
Make sure you're not missing meals (1500 cal reference)... If you're anything like me, missing meals causes an over consumption at the worst times OR the even worse, the wrong choices...

Like the consistency, keep it up!!!

This is EXACTLY what happens! I'm definitely gaining a better understanding of the importance of not only missing a meal, but also of staying consistant. Right now that's my main "speed bump" that's slowing me down. But I'm learning and adapting, so for me that's what counts.

Extreme
04-08-13, 11:14 am
An unexpected week away from the gym after I found out last minute that I would have my son with me for his spring break, but I wouldn't trade that time with him for anything in the world. So back at it this week. Into the gym tonight for a leg workout, anxious to hit it hard.

TheAlphaWolf
04-08-13, 4:57 pm
An unexpected week away from the gym after I found out last minute that I would have my son with me for his spring break, but I wouldn't trade that time with him for anything in the world. So back at it this week. Into the gym tonight for a leg workout, anxious to hit it hard.

The gym will always be there, but you can't make up for missed time with your son. I am sure you son is glad you spent the time with him.

Extreme
04-12-13, 11:07 am
Didn't even realize it was already Friday of this week...where has the time gone?!? Hit the gym Monday night for a leg workout. Didn't go how I wanted it to go...mostly b/c Monday seems to be the busiest day in the gym and its far too crowded to get anything worth while accomplished. I had to wait for EVERY piece of equipment, and once I got done with one exercise and tried moving onto the next I'd cool down and lose any kind of a pump I had, basically having to warm myself up with every exercise. After 45 minutes of doing that I got frustrated and said the heck with that! I only got in leg extensions, standing leg curls and squats. Made sure I made my time in the squat rack count though. I usually only do 3 or 4 working sets for squats, but b/c I knew I had to fight just to get in the rack I added a few more sets. Ended up with 6 working sets of squats.

The rest of the week didn't pan out as planned. Didn't make it back to the gym, but I was able to keep up with cardio. It's funny how life will always find a way to throw things at you that you never quite expect, but so be it. I've got my son with me again this weekend and am excited for that. Sunday begins a new week, which means I also have another opportunity to better myself in the gym ALL next week. So I'm just gonna keep truckin along and move forward, one step at a time!

Extreme
04-15-13, 9:16 am
Gettin ready for a good week. Got busy in the kitchen yesterday and prepared my meals for the next 3 days. Not something I usually do, but I'm recognizing more and more the importance of proper nutrition, and my drive to improve is growing, so changes had to be made. I've got eggs, chicken and steak for protein sources, wild grain rice, oats and sweet potatoes for carbs, and I pciked up a bunch of leafy greens, asparagus, green beans and zucchini.

Minor set back with my overall health after the weekend...my son was caring enough to share his cold with me, haha. Bit of a sore throat and some congestion, but as long as I keep up with the cold meds and vitamin C I seem to feel ok. Gonna get into the gym tonight to see how it goes.

deanna7272
04-15-13, 10:22 am
Love the new outlook on the diet!!! Your shopping list looks like mine... Same sh*t, different day...lol.

Ya know, we all have weeks like you've had... We have great expectations and then, gosh darn it, life happens....lol you've had some good reasons (getting your little boy) and you did the rut thing, the gym can wait... You are back at it, so there was nothing lost, it was precious time gained...

I know you're committed to self improvement, your thread says it all... With one step in front of the other, you're well on your way...

Extreme
04-15-13, 10:55 am
Love the new outlook on the diet!!! Your shopping list looks like mine... Same sh*t, different day...lol.

Ya know, we all have weeks like you've had... We have great expectations and then, gosh darn it, life happens....lol you've had some good reasons (getting your little boy) and you did the rut thing, the gym can wait... You are back at it, so there was nothing lost, it was precious time gained...

I know you're committed to self improvement, your thread says it all... With one step in front of the other, you're well on your way...

Couldn't agree more Dee! I know my time with my son is limited so I always try to make the most of it. Cool thing is he's starting to take an interest in working out since his mom is into cross-fit and he sees me going to the gym sometimes. So even though I can't go to the gym with him I still find things we can do at the house together. Saturday we ended up having a little contest to see who could do the most situps and jump rope the longest...I got a kick out of watching him struggle and feeling the burn b/c I know exactly how it feels, lol. But he's a fighter and the little guy's got a great physique for only being 6, haha. When he tightens his core you can see his 6 pack already. Makes daddy a little jealous! haha.

Extreme
04-17-13, 3:30 pm
The ol' body hates me yet again...after Monday night it all went down hill. Woke up around 1:30 Tuesday morning with a fever and cold chills. Sore throat followed and I was down and out all day yesterday. Today's not much better, but I was able to get my fever to break, so I've been sitting at work miserable all day. Only thing I've been able to eat is a handful of saltine crackers and an apple in the last two days. Been keeping up with my fluids and vitamin C, but other then that I just don't have any kind of appetite. Hoping things will turn around soon.

Extreme
04-22-13, 10:11 am
Finally started feeling better at the end of last week, so I decided to try to get back to the gym over the weekend...got in on Saturday and started to warm up and BAM! down for the count again. But this time it wasn't b/c of being sick. This time an old condition reared its ugly head...acid reflux!! Something I don't wish on ANYBODY!! From what I've been told I have a severe case. And it doesn't bother me 90% of the year, but when it does consider me almost dead, haha. The first time I experienced this I was 19 and thought I was having a heart attack. Sitting in church when it hit and it literally took my breath away, my chest tightened, I couldn't take in any more than a quarter breath and I started getting dizzy. One crazy, high speed trip to the ER later and they tried telling me I had an allergic reaction to some cold medication I had been taking b/c I had taken it with orange juice?? So no more taking cold meds with orange juice. 4 years go by with no signs of it ever happening again, then one night I sit down to enjoy a sloppy joe...a few hours later the unforgettable tightening of the chest and shortness of breath returns and the only thing I can think to myself is, "I didn't take any cold meds with orange juice, so why am I going through this again?". The symptoms last for about 3 hours, this time making me physically sick. I go to my doctor the very next day, tests are done yet again on my heart (b/c they didn't want to believe me that the first time this happened I was told my heart was perfectly healthy), and again I'm told my heart is good to go. Other tests are run and nothing can be determined. Fast forward about a year after that and the same thing happens AGAIN! And it wasn't until this third go around that someone is able to determine that this could be acid reflux. So the proper treatment is given and I read up on what this is and what foods to stay away from, and all is good for 4 or 5 years. And then there's this past Saturday...I technically didn't drink in orange juice, but I did drop an orange flavored "Airborne" into some water and took that as a precaution as my body recovers from whatever it is I had last week. Well I guess anything with any kind of orange flavoring is out for me b/c there I was at the gym, feeling like I was having another heart attack in the locker room. This time I knew what it was and jumped in the truck to get home and down a zantac. Had to wait about an hour for the pill to start working, but I'll take 1 hour of feeling like I'm having a heart attack, over 3 hours any day, haha.

So, now that I've got that behind me its back to the gym tonight...and my goal is to be in the gym every single day this week.

Extreme
04-23-13, 10:10 am
It amazes me how life can change in the blink of an eye. Living in today's world you would think I should be well aware of that with everything that's going on...Boston marathon bombing, explosion in West, Texas, people being gunned down in Washington, and yet I find myself being somewhat numb to all of that until something happens in my own life that changes my course. And I'm not saying that my heart doesn't go out to those that are affected, but I guess I don't realize the severity of those situations b/c I'm not a part of them. And in the big picture of things I know my experiences are nothing in comparison, but to me that's another perfect example of how we're all meant to fight our own fight. Ok, I'm done...feeling slightly better being able to get that off my chest.

But in going with that theme it does seem as though life is giving me a good ol' helping of crap at the moment. After some news from my ex yesterday the wind was taken from my sails...There's nothing in this world that means more to me than my son, which I'm sure any parent can attest to, and I would do anything for him. But what is a father to do when he's told that little guy will be moving clear across the US to the west coast? You might as well take my heart out and stomp on it!! After hearing this and realizing that there's nothing I can do about it I didn't have motivation to do much of anything last night. I took the time to reflect and called it a night. I know I can't control it, and I need to find a way to push past it, and perhaps the iron can be what is needed to give me that push. For now I'm gonna take things a day at a time and see what transpires. Not really sure how much I'll be going to the gym, but when I do I'll remain resilient in tracking my journey.

MAB
04-23-13, 7:39 pm
It amazes me how life can change in the blink of an eye. Living in today's world you would think I should be well aware of that with everything that's going on...Boston marathon bombing, explosion in West, Texas, people being gunned down in Washington, and yet I find myself being somewhat numb to all of that until something happens in my own life that changes my course. And I'm not saying that my heart doesn't go out to those that are affected, but I guess I don't realize the severity of those situations b/c I'm not a part of them. And in the big picture of things I know my experiences are nothing in comparison, but to me that's another perfect example of how we're all meant to fight our own fight. Ok, I'm done...feeling slightly better being able to get that off my chest.

But in going with that theme it does seem as though life is giving me a good ol' helping of crap at the moment. After some news from my ex yesterday the wind was taken from my sails...There's nothing in this world that means more to me than my son, which I'm sure any parent can attest to, and I would do anything for him. But what is a father to do when he's told that little guy will be moving clear across the US to the west coast? You might as well take my heart out and stomp on it!! After hearing this and realizing that there's nothing I can do about it I didn't have motivation to do much of anything last night. I took the time to reflect and called it a night. I know I can't control it, and I need to find a way to push past it, and perhaps the iron can be what is needed to give me that push. For now I'm gonna take things a day at a time and see what transpires. Not really sure how much I'll be going to the gym, but when I do I'll remain resilient in tracking my journey.

In regards to all the tragedies being televised and feeling somewhat numb to their severity I think that goes with being overly exposed to such things via media. We're more numb to violence than generations before us. Not only that but I think it's hard to relate to something when you haven't experienced it yourself, directly that is.

I'm sorry to hear about your son moving! That's something hat I can't fully understand, as I don't have kids, but I see it quite a bit working on a military base. But one good thing about this world being so technologically advanced is that we've got things like FaceTime or Skype so as long as you both have Internet connections you can talk to one another and see one another (in a sense). I know it's fresh and it really, really sucks, but sometimes it's beneficial to look at the positives (if there are any).

:-/

Extreme
04-25-13, 12:53 pm
In regards to all the tragedies being televised and feeling somewhat numb to their severity I think that goes with being overly exposed to such things via media. We're more numb to violence than generations before us. Not only that but I think it's hard to relate to something when you haven't experienced it yourself, directly that is.

I'm sorry to hear about your son moving! That's something hat I can't fully understand, as I don't have kids, but I see it quite a bit working on a military base. But one good thing about this world being so technologically advanced is that we've got things like FaceTime or Skype so as long as you both have Internet connections you can talk to one another and see one another (in a sense). I know it's fresh and it really, really sucks, but sometimes it's beneficial to look at the positives (if there are any).

:-/

I certainly agree. Its amazing how our society has changed so dramatically in just the last 15 years or so. I often wonder what some of my ancestors might say if they were living today, going from dirt floors and no electricity to technological advances that allow us to communicate and travel in what seems like the blink of an eye...its crazy! And you're right, it is hard to relate to something when there hasn't been a personal experience with that something. I think back to hurricane Katrina...I remember seeing the forecasts, with meteorologists predicting that it was going to be one of the biggest natural disasters to ever hit the US. And you could see the destruction on TV, but there was a sense of being numb to it b/c most of us weren't experiencing it. It wasn't until I went to some of the affected areas to offer help that I better understood the severity of what had happened...and I couldn't even imagine what it must have been like to experience something like that first hand.

And thank you for bringing to my attention the opposite of negativity in any situation...there is definitely a positive that can be found in anything we face throughout our lives, we just need to make the choice to see that. And at times it can be tough, especially when a situation is just unfolding, but as you said in regards to my situation, technology allows me to still communicate with my son to a degree. I guess I'm gonna have to come from out of the stone age and look into getting an iPad or something similar that will allow me to video chat with him, haha.

Haven't been to the gym this week, but I'm not just bumbing around either. I'm realizing that I can't just stop everything b/c life throws me another curveball...I've just gotta find a way to push past it. Been keeping up with cardio and I've been jumping rope and jogging...doing some core work along with that. Nothing spectacular, but better than just sitting on the couch. I've also been looking into this cross-fit craze that I see a lot of people getting into. Don't really know much about it, but its sparked my interest. Gonna be researching that to see what I can find. From what I've seen those jokers are in some SERIOUS shape!

MAB
04-25-13, 7:20 pm
And thank you for bringing to my attention the opposite of negativity in any situation...there is definitely a positive that can be found in anything we face throughout our lives, we just need to make the choice to see that. And at times it can be tough, especially when a situation is just unfolding, but as you said in regards to my situation, technology allows me to still communicate with my son to a degree. I guess I'm gonna have to come from out of the stone age and look into getting an iPad or something similar that will allow me to video chat with him, haha.

Haven't been to the gym this week, but I'm not just bumbing around either. I'm realizing that I can't just stop everything b/c life throws me another curveball...I've just gotta find a way to push past it. Been keeping up with cardio and I've been jumping rope and jogging...doing some core work along with that. Nothing spectacular, but better than just sitting on the couch. I've also been looking into this cross-fit craze that I see a lot of people getting into. Don't really know much about it, but its sparked my interest. Gonna be researching that to see what I can find. From what I've seen those jokers are in some SERIOUS shape!

I just know that in a situation like yours, where you may not have any say and your hands are tied you have two options: dwell on it and let it tear your world apart or look for a way to make it work. I love my iPad mini :) I've never used FaceTime or anything on it, but it's pretty convenient.

Honestly the gym is my cure all. Bad day, bad mood, desperation, self loathing, any of that negative crap I'd say 98% of the time a good training session kicks :) So keep at it!

Extreme
04-30-13, 9:16 am
Its amazing what a little down time and personal reflection can do for the soul. I'd been in a funk (and to some degree I'd say I still am) and I wanted to get out of it, and I knew that if it was going to happen it was completely up to me! So, after some encouraging words from friends and family and taking the weekend to reflect I've got my head back in the game and its all systems go!

I realized that part of my problem was a constant feeling that I wasn't accomplishing anything worth while when I was in the gym...it seemed as though I was just going through the motions, moving from one exercise to the next, knowing that if I wanted to change (physically) that that's what I needed to be doing, but the drive just wasn't there. Well it hit me like a mac truck over the weekend, and I came to the realization that the reason I was feeling like this was b/c I wasn't tracking anything that I was doing and I wasn't striving for anything greater. A goal of wanting to be healthier and in better shape was made, but it didn't get much further than that. HELLO!!! Not gonna get very far when you've got nothing to work towards.

So, I spent my entire weekend researching what I had done in the past that had worked, lookind over articles I had saved, reviewing notes from years past, formulating a game plan and aligning everything in detail. I figure the more detailed I become the less of a chance I'll have at screwing something up. I raided the pantry, throwing out anything and everything that will detour me from reaching my goals. I went to the store and loaded up on everything I'll need TO reach my goals! I rearranged my daily schedule to make sure I could get to a gym (finally throwing out all of the excuses I had been using for not getting there). And I've come up with a split that I feel will allow me to make some pretty good gains.

I still have a few questions and things I need to fine tune with my diet, but I've been researching that the last 2 days and I feel confident I'll be rollin in the right direction. Even readjusted the ol' budget and found a few extra dollars to purchase some supps. Anxiously awaiting my Real Gains and Pump!

Today will be quads and hammies...I figured there's no better way to start things off then with a good ol' leg day!

deanna7272
04-30-13, 10:11 am
I started back to my routine also... with legs..... Wowza....lol

I like the idea of writing everything down... It comes in handy for a great reference, just like you said... I was at a stand still with my weights, so I backed off a few weeks... I went back last night and low and behold I started where I struggled 3 weeks ago... Very happy about that...

It's an accountability thing... It definitely works for me. I have never trained so hard to best "my" numbers... It's a good feeling to be ale to "see" it in black and white...

I'm glad to see that you had that "click" with ya..

Extreme
04-30-13, 2:09 pm
Definitely an accountability thing Dee! And that's the one BIG thing I wasn't doing, holding myself accountable. If I didn't get to the gym, or if I missed a meal I just thought oh well, whatever, I'll try again tomorrow. But that didn't get me anywhere. And I know that I SHOULD know this kind of stuff, but sometimes I'm just stubborn and fall short. Pretty sure that's just human nature though, haha.

Just got done with my leg workout. It was the only chance I was going to have to get to a gym today, and it was during my lunch break at work, so it was short and fast! I only had 30 minutes, but I made it count. I left with one of the biggest pumps I've had in my quads and hammies in a LONG time! Its been an hour and I'm still feeling it!

Warmed up and stretched then got to work.

Squats: 4x10
Leg Extensions: 4x12
Leg Press: 4x10

Tried RDL's at the end, but something strained in my lower right back, almost felt like it was in my glute, and I couldn't get the pain to go away, so I called it quits. Tried walking it out and stretching and that helped a bit, but still can feel something going on back there.

It doesn't seem like much, but it had me going at full tilt. It took me a good 15 minutes to settle down and even when I tried walking back to my office I could feel my legs shaking, wanting to give out.

Diet's been good for today too. Breakfast was 1 whole egg + 5 egg whites, with 1/2 cup oats (before being cooked).

2nd meal was 4 oz of crab, with a salad that had tomatoes, avocado, mushrooms and broccili in it, fat free caesar vinegrette for that.

3rd meal was Torrent and a banana.

And I've got salmon, sweet potato and zucchini waiting on me for meals 4 and 5.

Extreme
05-01-13, 3:19 pm
Another quick workout on my lunch break again b/c I know my schedule is once again slammed once I get off of work. Hit up chest today. Ended up with a total of 18 sets in 35 minutes. Again, leaving the gym with a pretty good pump. Definitely not lifting heavy, but feeling each rep in the pecs, so I'm pleased with that. Even caught myself using wrong form at one point and corrected it, resulting in hitting the pecs even more!

Warmup and stretch. Plugged the headphones in and got to work.

Flat Bench DB Press: 2x15, then 4x10
Flat Bench Fly: 4x10
Incline Smith Machine Press: 4x10
Incline Fly: 4x10

Made sure to squeeze when doing all of my fly's at it definitely had the pecs screaming.

Diet has been good again today too. 6 eggs, 1 yolk with 1/2 cup oatmeal for meal 1.
6 oz. salmon with pasta for meal 2.
1/2 cup oatmeal, banana and protein shake for meal 3.

Lookin at chicken breast, baked tater and leafy greens for meal 4, and still need to come up with something for meal 5.

Extreme
05-06-13, 11:44 am
Got in a good shoulder w/o over the weekend. Everything's still sore as hell today, so I know I did something right.

Kept the diet in check for the most part as well. Only meal that got a way from me was a bday dinner on Saturday night. BUT, I did better than I usually would have. If you sit a pizza down in front of me there's a good possibility I'll want to eat the whole thing, and sometimes that's accomplished. But I remembered my goals and what it is I'm wanting to accomplish and just to be polite to the host I had a slice and left it at that. A definite improvement for this guy!!

Nothing out of the ordinary from the shoulder workout. Kept everything strict, went 4x8 on all lifts and just did the standard military press, side laterals, rear laterals on pec deck machine, front raises with ez-bar and shrugs.

Still waiting for my supps to come in. Protein powder is running low...not that I use a lot of it to begin with, but its usually what I'll down right after a workout. Gives me some time to get home and get a meal ready.

Going for a back w/o tonight. Gonna wait til later on in hopes the Monday madness will die down before I get there.

Extreme
05-07-13, 9:01 am
Back w/o complete, but I can't say I set the world on fire. With situations and work and other things I've been dwelling on my mind just wasn't in it last night and I actually had to force myself to get to the gym. Got to the gym and the usual Monday Madness was going on...not a single parking space available, so I parked it in the grass on the side of the road. Hate when the gym gets like that! Didn't let it get to me like it usually does though and I got in there and got to it. Took me a while to get going, and it wasn't until I started doing deads that I finally felt like I was there to accomplish something.

Also had my supps arrive yesterday while I was at work, so I was able to get in a Pump pak for last night's w/o. Left the stim pill out though b/c that would have left me sleepless last night.

2 Warmup sets of wide grip pulldowns, 15 reps each.

Wide Grip Pulldowns: 4 sets, 12, 10, 10, 8. Increased the weight each set.
Hammer Strength Seated Rows: 4 sets, 10, 10, 10, 8. Increased weight each set.
Hypers: 3x10
Deads: 4x8
V-Grip Pulldowns: 4 sets, 10, 10, 8, 8

20 minutes of cardio immediately after.

Real Gains shake to finish things off. And I gotta say I'm lovin the banana flavoured Real Gains!!

Kept the diet in check again too...which has been a great motivator for me as of late.

Meal 1 was the last of my whey protein with some oats added in for carbs.

Meal 2 Grilled steak and green beans

Meal 3 Grilled chicken breast and mixed leafy greens

Meal 4 Real Gains shake

Meal 5 Fat Free Cottage Cheese and 1/2 cup oatmeal

Extreme
05-09-13, 9:14 am
Tuesday was an off day, but I hit up an arm workout yesterday. Went in feeling motivated and things were fast paced yet again b/c I hit things up on my lunch break at work. I've had the chance to do this and also hit up my gym in the evenings, after work, and I find myself more energetic and more motivated when I'm in the gym on my lunch break. Which is surprising b/c I really dont care for the gym at work, at least not as much as my other gym, but as of late it's been working so I'll keep with it.

Started with tris, then hit biceps, altering exercises. Did 2 warmup sets for both, then got into the working sets.

Straight bar Cable Pushdowns (Grip was at shoulder width): 4 sets, 10, 10, 10, 8 (increased weight with each set)

Hammer Strength Curls: 4 sets, 8, 8, 8, 7

Close Grip Bench on Smith Machine: 4 sets, 10, 10, 10, 7 (Increased weight with each set)

Barbell Curls (Standing): 3x8

Rope Cable Pushdowns: 3x10

Wrist Curls (Both up and down): 2x15

Seated DB Concentration Curls: 3x8

I had taken a Pump pak 30 minutes before the w/o and at the end of the concentration curls I couldn't move my arms....GREAT FEELING!!

Pleased with what I've been doing, my mindset has definitely improved, I'm feeling more motivated and I've noticed slight improvements. I've gone from dreading the gym and eating right to always looking forward to my next meal and the next workout.

deanna7272
05-09-13, 9:42 am
First off... Congrats on conquering the Pizza Monster... I can't say that on a "cheat" day I could do that.... I have never met a slice that I didn't like... ;-)

I totally get that feeling this week also... Not setting the world on fire, but getting it in.. That is huge within itself... We COULD sit at home being a Gloomy Gus, but that's not an option anymore...

AND... I am with you on Pump... It is BY FAR the best Pre Workout supp that I have used... I am running low and using another (I know, shame on me) and BOY what a difference... Hmmmm... Maybe I just solved MY problem.....

Extreme
05-13-13, 3:03 pm
I totally get that feeling this week also... Not setting the world on fire, but getting it in.. That is huge within itself... We COULD sit at home being a Gloomy Gus, but that's not an option anymore...

AND... I am with you on Pump... It is BY FAR the best Pre Workout supp that I have used... I am running low and using another (I know, shame on me) and BOY what a difference... Hmmmm... Maybe I just solved MY problem.....

That's right Dee! No time for Gloomy Gus! lol. And I am in agreeance, Pump is a great pre-workout supp. I'm really feeling like I'm coming away with targeted muscle groups being full at the end of my workouts, and its a GREAT feeling. Although I will admit I just don't feel the energy from the stim pill the way I used to? Not sure why, but I just don't have the intensity I once had when I've taken Pump in the past. But not gonna complain too much b/c the workouts have been going in the right direction!

Had another get in, get to work, get out kind of a w/o today. Hit up another leg w/o on my lunch break. I was able to squeeze in some more sets this time which I could definitely feel.

Warmed up, stretched the Quads and Hams and got to work.

Smith Machine Squats (lower back has been acting up and needed a bit more support): 2x12 (warmup sets), then 4 working sets, 10, 10, 8, 7.

Leg Press: 5x8, ended with 10 plates, which is a big improvement for me.

Leg Curls (Seated): 3x10

Leg Extensions (Seated): 3x10

Had another great pump at the end of it and gingerly walked back to my office, lol.

Diet has been good (even with my mom in town!). Kept things clean over the weekend. Didn't get in 5-6 meals a day, but food was quality. Today's been good as well.

Meal 1: Real Gains Shake

Meal 2: Grilled Chicken Breast and leafy greens

Meal 3: Homemade stir fry w/ steak, shrimp, zucchini, onions and mushrooms w/ brown rice.

Meal 4: Walleye w/ asparagus

And I'll need to figure out Meal 5. Might be some eggs and oats, or cottage cheese and veggies.

Extreme
05-14-13, 2:35 pm
Chest and abs today. Been neglecting any core work and I know I need to change that. Only problem is I feel as though I didn't hit my chest as I should have b/c I wanted to get the ab work in. Still not sure how I feel about it yet, but it is what it is. Still felt good during and after the w/o and had some good improvement in strength. I'm pleased to be seeing gains, even if they are small.

Warmed up chest with a light set of 25 reps, stretched and got to it.

Incline DB Press: 3x8, did a 4th set but only got 5.

Hammer Strength Press: 3x8, again did a 4th set but only made it to 4, stripped weight to what I had on my starting set and banged out 3 more, then hit 3 more partials until I couldn't get anything else.

Machine flys: 3 sets, 15, 12, 10

Incline situps: 3x12

Ab crunch machine: 2x10, 3rd set went for 15 reps.

Again, this was on my lunch break. Not a whole lot of time, but I do what I can.

Meals are lookin good again today.

Meal 1: Real Gains Shake (been making it with almond milk)

Meal 2: Steak, half of a sweet potato, green beans

Meal 3: Walleye, brown rice and asparagus

Meals 4 and 5 yet to be determined. I've got some left over chicken breasts and steak, just need to cook up some veggies for em.

Extreme
05-20-13, 4:06 pm
Took the end of last week and this past weekend off to take my son on a mini vacation. nothing special, but we had fun. Didn't get to lift, but still tried watching what I ate. Only cheat meal for the weekend was a pizza joint. All in all I feel good about what I did to control what I ate.

Back in the gym tomorrow. Gonna hit up some delts and calves.

Going good with my meals for today.

Meal 1: Steak and eggs w/ baby spinach

Meal 2: 5 egg whites and a banana

Meal 3: Walleye, brown rice and green beans

Meal 4 will be chicken and asparagus

Meal 5 is still in the works...need to get home and get to cookin. Being away for the weekend REALLY through off my usual food prep for the coming week.

Extreme
05-22-13, 3:01 pm
Had to wait one more day before training shoulders/calves. Having my mom in town tends to throw my schedule off a bit...but got to it today and can feel, once again, that I've done something. Made sure I had my meals for the day, but ran out the door without my supps...not the end of the world, but still look forward to my w/o's when I've got pump flowing throug my veins, haha. Good side was I still got a great pump in my shoulders, despite not taking anything.

Quick warmup: Rear, side and front raises w/ light DB's. 15 reps for each.

Rear laterals: 4 sets, 15, 12, 10, 8

Side laterals: 3 sets, 12, 10, 9

Front raises: 3 sets, 10, 10, 8

Smith Machine Military Press: 4 sets, 15, 10, 8, 5

Barbell Shrugs: 3 sets, 12, 10, 8

Seated calf machine (not normally what I use, but only thing available. Felt weird): 3 sets, 10, 10, 11

Been going good with my food again too.

Meal 1: Real Gains Shake

Meal 2: 2 Chicken anchilladas with salsa

Meal 3: Bacon wrapped deer backstrap with grilled zucchini.

Meal 4 will be leafy greens and spaghetti.

Possibly a meal 5 before going to bed...gonna see how I feel after meal 4.

Extreme
05-24-13, 11:03 am
Been reading quite a few articles lately here on animalpak.com. Finding motivation from many of the Animals that have shared their insight and knowledge about this way of life. I'm appreciative of their time and graciousness in sharing with any who will read, what they have learned about this lifestyle. I read the words of Schak, Machine, G and others and I take away a message that isn't filled with bullshit or sugar coated in any way. You want to make a change in your life, then get up off your ass and put the time and effort into making said change. There's no one out there that's going to do it for you.

I am at a point in my life where I strive for something greater, the fire burns inside and I'm finding a way to improve my status. To the authors of the articles found on this site it may not seem like much when they compose their thoughts for all to read...but for those of us that sometimes struggle, their words can be a world of encouragement and motivation, and for that I thank them.

My journey continues and I continue to strive for self improvement...building my foundation brick by brick.

Extreme
05-29-13, 9:22 am
The long weekend had me busy, but nothing new there. Getting ready to bring my son back to his mother and return my mom to PA. Not sure I'll know what to do with a house that's completely empty?!? lol. I take that back...I know exactly what I plan to do, hit the weights hard! After tomorrow I'll have a week to myself and I plan to get in some solid sessions in the gym. The fun starts Friday.

Extreme
06-05-13, 12:20 pm
Been down and out with another craptastic cold...sinus pressure has been ridiculous!! Think I'm on the mend now...hoping to get back into the gym either tomorrow or Friday.

This cold also zapped my appetite...nothing has taste and I feel full almost the entire day after just one meal...definitely sucks.

Extreme
06-28-13, 4:12 pm
Ok, play time is over...just finished up my visitation with my son for the summer and its time to get back to work. The hard part is getting back. I think I enjoyed my time with him a little too much and I'm wishing tha time didn't have to end, but it is what it is. Hitting up the grocery store tonight and getting back to the gym tomorrow. Feeling good and hoping for good results.

Extreme
08-01-13, 11:09 am
What doesn't kill us makes us stronger.

Pain is weakness leaving the body.

Endure to the end.

The list goes on and on. The last month has been a bitch and the ups and downs of life caught up quick. I had to take a step back from everything. I had to look deep within myself and I had to re-evaluate myself. I had to come to grips with what life has presented, and as much as I hate to say it there ARE things in life that I can't control...and I've gotta be willing to let those things go.

I'm now feeling better about my current situation andmy mind set is where it needs to be. It's time for change and I'm the only one that can make that change.

Motivation. Discipline. Desire.

Extreme
11-12-13, 10:55 am
Wow, I didn't realize I had been away from this log since August...time flies when you're having fun, isn't that how the saying goes?

Well, I can't sit here and say that I've progressed in the months that I've been away...at least not physically. But I can say that I've been strengthened mentally and spiritually. A lot has happened in the last 3 months and I find myself living a new chapter in life. There are still many uncertainties I'll have to overcome, but what else is new...everyone overcomes adversity everyday, there's just different obstacles each of us must personally overcome. None the less I'm again wanting to achieve more. I'm ready to continue my battle for self improvement...not that I haven't been doing that all along, but I'm again focused on physical improvement. Its time to get back to the one thing that never changes, no matter what life throws at you...and thats the gym.

Anxious to see where this will lead me this time around.

deanna7272
11-12-13, 4:07 pm
You know, when we start to clear things up mentally/emotionally and spiritually, the body will respond in a totally different way!!! Push on, brother!!!

Extreme
11-13-13, 9:42 am
You know, when we start to clear things up mentally/emotionally and spiritually, the body will respond in a totally different way!!! Push on, brother!!!

But its funny how all of that works out, isn't it? I didn't even realize that there were things in my life that were dragging me down mentally and emotionally until I took a step back and tried looking at things from a different angle. On the outside looking in, so to speak.

And thank you for the encouragement Dee! I've been in the game and fallen away, come back and gone away again, but no matter how many times shit happens you're there to support. That means a lot, and I thank you for it. A part of me always wonders why I ever go astray in the first place...there's always been support here on the forum and in any gym you step into, and yet there seems to be times where I just go off looking for something else, and yet I never seem to find what it is I'm looking for. Funny how things seem to come full circle in so many different aspects in life.

G Diesel
11-13-13, 9:48 am
Keep up the good fight my brother.

Peace, G

Extreme
11-13-13, 9:49 am
In the gym both Monday and Tuesday night. Quads and Hams on Monday, Chest and abs on Tuesday. Simply going for consistancy at this point in time. Working on creating "good" habits and getting back into a routine. Once I can see the consistancy I'll determine what I want to do from there. Ultimately I know I've gotta shed body fat, and I believe that if I can create these good habits both in the gym and with my diet, proving to myself that I can be consistant, the results will come.

Extreme
11-13-13, 9:52 am
Keep up the good fight my brother.

Peace, G

Thanks G! I truely appreciate the encouragement and support.

Extreme
11-14-13, 8:41 am
Off night last night. The Quads, Hams and Chest are extremely sore, but fully expected it to be that way. Temps were cooler than usual last night, so I decided to go for a jog. 2 miles with a cool down and stretch. Felt good to breath in the cool fall air.

Back in the gym after work today. Looking to hit up shoulders and calves. Feeling slightly drained right now, but hoping that'll change as the day progresses.

Extreme
11-15-13, 8:43 am
Shoulder and calf workout complete. Took me a while to get warmed up yesterday for some reason. My chest and triceps were extremely sore from the workout on Tuesday, and it definitaly affected what I was able to do for my shoulder exercises. With the way my triceps are feeling today I'm thinking about just skipping arm day on Saturday and simply incorporating some bicep exercises into my back workout today.

My entire body, except for my back and bi's is sore, so I know I've been working the targeted muscle groups. All in all I'm not feeling all that bad for my first week back at it. I've incorporated a warmup and stretch to every workout, and I've finished things up with cardio every day, progressively increasing the amount of time I spend on cardio. After today's workout I'll give my body the weekend off to recover and then it'll be time for week 2.

Extreme
11-18-13, 9:53 am
Took the weekend off. Decided the body needed some rest and I do believe it was the best thing for me. My tris were killin me friday night and its been a LONG time since I've had to stand on my tip toes b/c my calves have been THAT tight, lol. Feeling really good and will be back at it today. It's only been a week, but I can feel a difference.

Took Saturday afternoon to grocery shop and prepare 3-4 days worth of food. Good mix of chicken, steak, fish and venison, along with lots of greens and rice. Also stocked up on oats and eggs.

Back day today. Hoping to keep up the momentum.

Extreme
11-19-13, 11:16 am
Good back workout last night. Didn't want to over do it, as this was the first real back workout in almost 5 months, so light weight and strict form was the name of the game. Warmed up on the treadmill for 10 minutes, strecthed and got with it.

Close Grip Cable Rows: 5 sets, 12, 10, 8, 8, 8
Wide Grip Pulldown (to the front): 4 sets, 12, 10, 8, 8
Hammer Stength Row Machine (shoulder width grip): 3 sets, 8, 8, 8
Hyper Extensions: 3 sets, 15, 15, 15
One Arm DB Row: 3 sets, 8, 8, 8
Shoulder Shrugs: 3 sets, 10, 8, 8

Finished things off with 15 minutes on the stair master.

Today I'll get in a quick arm workout, but doubt that I'll have time for cardio...too many meetings.

Side note...body feels good as I try to get back into a groove. Each muscle group has been EXTREMELY sore after the initail workouts, but it reminds me that I must be doing something right b/c I can feel the muscle group that was worked the previous day. At the moment I'm just taking my Animal Pak, and I think I'll keep it that way for the first month or so, but I'm hoping after that I can have a few extra bucks to add a few supps into my regimen to aid in recovery and overall performance and stamina. Not that I'm lacking, but it always feels nice to have that extra little something to help push through a grueling workout.

Extreme
11-20-13, 1:59 pm
Meetings consumed my day yesterday and plans were ultered numerous times. Schedule has been cleared for this evening so its straight to the gym after work. Bis and back are sore from Monday's workout, but I'm hoping with a good warmup and stretching I'll be ready to go for the arm workout tonight.

Extreme
11-21-13, 8:49 am
Arm workout complete and I'm feeling pretty good this morning. I was very surprised with the way I felt when starting my workout last night. Usually I would say that my triceps are one of my weakest body parts, but I ended up feeling as though they were fuller and stronger than workouts that I've had in the past. The amount of weight I was able to use for sets of 8-10 actually shocked me, and I was lovin it! I'll credit it to sticking with a healthier eating plan and I'll hope that my gains can remain constant with other muscle groups as well.

After finishing up the arm workout I hit up the stair master for 20 minutes and called it a night. I can honestly say I've never sweat so much on any piece of cardio equipment quite like I do when I'm on that thing! haha.

Taking tonight to cook up another couple days of food, then back into the gym tomorrow. I've been in the gym 3 days a week these first two weeks, and I plan to bump it up to 4 starting next week. I feel my body is adapting well to the added stress and I'm happy with the progress.

Extreme
11-26-13, 8:28 am
Back in the gym and started the week off right with a good leg workout. When I got home from work I saw that my supps had been delivered, so the timing was perfect.

Started the workout with a 10 minute warmup on the treadmill, stretched and got into it. I felt stronger and was able to use heavier weight from my previous leg workout, but endurance still isn't there. By the time I got to the second half of the workout I couldn't push heavier weight, but I churned out as many reps as I could. Finished the night off with 25 minutes on the stationary bike and left with a solid pump in the legs...that I'm still partially feeling this morning.

Took Universal Carnitech before the workout, downed Animal Nitro post workout and I've been throwing down an Animal Pak every day for the last 3 weeks. I've also been making gains with my nutrition and I've been on par the last 2 weeks. I've been allowing myself 1 cheat meal a week and so far I've stuck with it. No monumental changes in weight loss or inches lost, but I feel so much better mentally and physically. I'm finding that as I devote the time to self improvement and make getting to the gym part of my daily schedule I'm becoming more and more motivated.

Extreme
11-27-13, 10:21 am
Chest and abs workout last night. Went into the gym determined to lift more than I did the first chest workout I had. If there's any one muscle group that lags behind for me its my chest. And being away from the gym for so long and not taking care of myself hasn't helped. But that only makes me realize that there's no where else to go but up from where I'm at right now.

Warmed up, stretched and started things off with some flys on the pec deck. I've found that if I pre-exhaust my pecs I'm able to go a bit longer when going through my benching exercises before my triceps give out. All too often I've felt like I could've done more with benching, and I know my pecs could handle it, but I've had nothing left b/c my tri's are fried. Definitely the two body parts I want to bring up more than anything!

After the flys I did some smith maching bench presses, then moved on to incline DB presses. I performed more than my usual 3 sets for each, finishing with 6 sets on bench and 5 sets on inclines, and after the last set of inclines that was it, tri's were done. Moved onto abs and got some great sets in there. My core was on fire after I was done.

Jumped on the stairmaster for 25 minutes after that and called it a day.

Took the L-Carnitech pre-workout and downed a pack of Nitro post workout again. Felt good, but did notice that I must have strained my hip flexor in my right leg again, from Monday's leg workout. Its an old injury rearing its ugly head, but I'm hoping with some light stretching it'll work itself out.

Extreme
12-02-13, 10:44 am
4 days off from work didn't bode well for me. Only got to the gym once in that 4 days. Got in a solid shoulders and calves workout. My main focus when working my shoulders was the behind the head military press, making sure I held strict form throughout the lift. Ended up with a great pump in my shoulders after that.

Noticed that it didn't take near as long to recover from that workout, which is a good thing. I'm hoping my body is beginning to adapt to the heavier load so that I can kick it up another notch.

Fell off the "eat right" wagon a few times over the 4 days as well, but didn't go WAY overboard, and I'm back with it today. Ended up with 2 cheat meals instead of one. Nothing major, but I still felt guilty enough to want to reconcile and get back with it, so I take that as a positive.

Extreme
12-03-13, 9:09 am
Back workout last night. Turned up the volume a little bit last night, incorporated more exercises, hit the back from as many angles as possible. Felt completely warn out by the time I was done, but sucked it up and still got in 20 minutes of cardio after that. Left the gym feeling completely exhausted!

Started with a 10 minutes warmup, stretched and warmed up with some light one arm DB rows. After 2 warmup sets I moved into my working sets and got with it. Rest of the workout ended up looking like this:

One Arm DB Row: 3 sets, 10, 8 , 8
Wide Grip Pulldowns: 4 sets, 12, 10, 8, 6
Hammer Strength Row (Shoulder width overhand grip): 3 sets, 8, 8, 6
Close Grip Low Cable Row: 4 sets, 10, 8, 8, 6
Deadlifts: 3 sets, 8, 8, 8
Hammer Strength Lat Pullovers: 3 sets, 12, 10, 8
Seated Extensions for lower back: 3 sets, 15, 15, 12
Hammer Strength Seated Shrugs: 3 sets, 10, 8, 6
Behind the Back BB Shrugs: 2 sets, 12, 12

Food consumption was on par yesterday as well, and I'm feeling pretty good this morning. I can tell the back muscles are fatigued, but it feels pretty good.

Pre - L-Carnitech
Post - Nitro

Extreme
12-04-13, 12:43 pm
No weight lifting last night, but I did get in some cardio. Valuable lesson learned...I'm not as young as I used to be! haha. Tried getting in on some basketball last night with guys that were at least 10 years younger than me. First time I've tried playing in about a year. Definitely not the same as jumping on the stair master of the elliptical in the gym. Woke up extremely sore and stiff this morning. More extensive stretching will be done the next time for sure.

Arm workout tonight...looking to get in, get a good pump, and get out.

Extreme
12-05-13, 10:20 am
Yesterday ended up being one of those days where there wasn't all that much motivation in wanting to be at the gym, BUT I went and muscled through it anyways. Felt sluggish and strength was a bit down. Don't know if the previous night of bball had anything to do with that?? Anyways, hit up tris and bis. Didn't really keep track of reps last night. 2 warmup sets for both tris and bis, then I went ahead and moved into my working sets. Ended up with 3 working sets for each exercise, and for each set I'd grab a heavier weight and rep to failure. Finished with some forearm work, then jumped on the elliptical for 30 minutes.

pre - L-Carnitech
post - Nitro

Also put down a Pak with my last meal.

Ordered some Omega and NOX3 yesterday. Excited to work those supps into my diet.

Extreme
12-09-13, 9:27 am
Was down and out since Friday of last week. Went to dinner with friends last Thursday night and my guess is the chicken I ordered wasn't good. Wiped me out until Saturday night, when I finally started feeling better. Not sure how that'll affect the workouts this week, but I'll be back into the gym today for leg training.

Received my NOX3 and Omega over the weekend. Excited to incorporate that into the mix.

Extreme
12-10-13, 9:59 am
Legs last night...

10 minute warmup on treadmill

2 warmup sets on leg press, then stretched real good and got with it.

Leg Press: 5 sets, 20, 15, 10, 8, 8 (added a plate/side each set, started with 3/side)

Lying Leg Curls: 4 sets, 15, 12, 8, 7

Seated Leg Extensions: 4 sets, 12, 10, 8, 8

Standing 1 Leg Curls: 3 sets, 12, 8, 8

25 minutes on stationary bike

Had to watch what I was doing b/c the last leg workout I tweaked an old rugby injury and my sciatic nerve let me know it was still there, hence the reason there was no sqauts performed. Overall it was an ok workout. Felt completely drained by the end of it. Energy was WAY down. Also forgot my Nitro, which didn't make me feel any better.

Getting ready for an upcoming trip tonight, but if I can blow through the list of things that needs done I hope to still get to the gym. But if it doesn't happen then I'll be sure to get back with it tomorrow.

Extreme
12-11-13, 11:52 am
Wow, ran out the door and forgot my supps this morning...was lucky that I remembered my meals! Little to no sleep last night, making for a LONG day today.

Despite that I plan to go to the gym after work. Chest and abs tonight.

Extreme
12-17-13, 7:41 am
Back from a quick trip to Utah. It was nice to catch up with a few family members and friends, and get a somewhat better idea of what the future may hold. Back to the gym today. Not sure what I'll do just yet, but the body is fully rested after no workout for the last 5 days. Gotta get in as much as I can before a trip to the Burgh next week.

Extreme
12-18-13, 8:04 am
Decided to hit up a good shoulder workout last night. I figured with 5 days rest it would be best to hit what is probably my most lagging body part. Felt good and was able to use heavier weight (which was surprising).

10 minute warmup on the treadmill
Loosened the shoulders with some light front and side raises
Behind the neck Barbell Press: 5 sets, 10, 10, 8, 8, 6
Cable Front Raises: 4 sets, 12, 10, 8, 8
Cable One Arm Side Laterals: 3 sets, 12, 8, 10
Rear Delts Reverse Pec Deck: 4 sets, 10, 8, 8, 12
Hammer Strength Shoulder Press: 3 sets, 8, 8, 6
DB Front Raises: 2 sets (light weight, going for the burn), 15, 12
Arm bent at 90 degrees Side Laterals: 2 sets, 15, 12

20 minutes on the elliptical

pre - NOX3
post - Nitro

Got in Pak and Omega earlier in the day.

Extreme
12-23-13, 7:50 am
Went down hard last week with a pretty serious cold, and I'm still not feeling 100%. Needless to say I haven't been to the gym, but I'm hoping to get in there this week. Just a minor setback, but tis the season, right? haha

Extreme
01-04-14, 6:54 pm
Wow, 2014 has started off rough. In PA to be with my mom for Christmas and New Years and I came down with a fever New Year's Eve. Came back to GA New Year's Day and scheduled an appointment with the doc. Found out yesterday I've got strep and am still laid up in bed. Hoping this crap goes on somewhere soon. Been downing a lot of vitamin c, pak and nitro. Looking forward to getting back to the gym as soon as I recover.

Extreme
01-09-14, 8:41 am
Tried to see how the body would respond to pushups and situps last night....still a no go. As soon as I get the blood flowing I get a little light headed and start coughing. Looks like I've gotta sit the sidelines a little while longer before getting back into the gym. REALLY frustrating, but it is what it is.

Extreme
01-14-14, 8:29 am
Had to go back to the doctor yesterday...symptoms never subsided, even after a round of antibiotics. Doctor said he's concerned b/c that first round of antibiotics should have at least done something, but it looks as though it did nothing. Now on a stronger antibiotic, went from a 250mg, 5 day antibiotic to a 500mg, 10 day antibiotic...if this doesn't clear things up I'm gonna be pissed! It sucks when you're wanting to do more and your body just says "no". Looks like another week, minimum, before I'm back in the gym.

Extreme
02-24-14, 2:36 pm
Wow, been away for a while bc of health issues. After almost 2 full months I'm finally cleared to resume working out. Tonight is the first night back. The plan is to get in a moderate leg workout, followed by a little cardio. I know getting back into the swing of things I can't just go all out.

I'm setting a few small goals for myself. Nothing fancy. Simply trying to get back into the swing of regularly working out. My hope is that with an increase in physical activity and a clean diet I'll be able to slowly build strength and burn some unwanted fat.

Also going to start holding myself accountable by recording my weight and progress to my goals. Starting things off sitting at 276. Setting a goal to be sitting somewhere close to 255 by the end of May. I'll reevaluate at that time and determine a new target weight and goals.

Made it out to the grocery store over the weekend and prepped food for this week. Keeping things simple. Chicken breasts, lean ground beef, eggs and 4 lbs of fish fillets for protein sources. Lots of green veggies (mainly asparagus, zucchini and mixed greens salad), and potatoes, rice, pasta and oats for carb sources. Also have some apples, mango and almonds to throw in the mix.

Taking Pak, Nitro and Omega.

Side note: Excited for all those getting ready for The Cage and the Arnold Classic coming up this weekend...still on my bucket list. Maybe one day it'll happen, haha.

Extreme
02-25-14, 8:14 am
Leg workout complete. Very mild, but I can build myself up as time goes on. Only 2 exercises for Quads and 2 for Hamstrings.

Leg Press - 2 warmup sets, 25 reps each. 3 working sets, 12, 8, and 8.

Lying Leg Curls - 2 warmup sets, 20 reps each. 3 working sets, 12, 12, 10

Seated Leg Extensions - 3x8

Standing Leg Curls (1 leg at a time) - 3x8

Cardio - 25 min on treadmill. Started with incline set to 9 for first 15 minutes, dropped to 6 for next 5 minutes, dropped to 3 for final 5 minutes. Cool down.

Again, nothing fancy. Got in, got to work, got out.

Extreme
02-26-14, 12:37 pm
Cardio last night...trying to get a friend of mine to change his ways and work on becoming more physically fit. Looks like its gonna be a long, hard fight, haha. Gonna have to take baby steps with this one. BUT I got him out to do cardio with me...fast paced walk, with some intermittent light jogging for 3 miles. Took us about 40 minutes.

Legs are EXTREMELY tight today from that and the leg workout Monday. Good to know the muscles were worked, haha.

Back into the gym for Chest and some core work tonight.