PDA

View Full Version : Having problems going through the motions?

Freakshowelite
12-14-12, 11:40 pm
Stuck in the void of "going through the motions?"
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

During my short time as a powerlifter I have noticed a trend by a large popularity of the training public. Being fit, having cardio, and eating healthy kind of fall the the way side when people train for just powerlifting specifically. People eat terrible, train to half their potential, and just focus less on taking care of themselves.

My wife Kathy for example fell into the habit of:
-neglecting proper nutrition
-not getting protein in
-ignoring the potential of supplementation
-skipping accessory work

Over the past couple months I have seen a massive improvement in all these areas by Kathy, and in return, she is getting strong, faster, and fitter. When you fall into the void of "going through the motions" you eat like shit, show up to the gym and hit the usual powerlifter sets of ones, twos, or threes and then go home. You get in about 10-20 reps for the whole workout. Then go home, maybe get protein in within the hour window you have, then go to bed catabolic. For whatever reason many powerlifters fall into this slump of avoiding work.

Kathy has dropped the gear and has been hitting a very hard raw training cycle. She has been hitting many multiple sets of 5-10-20 reps. Quadrupling her normal workload, if not more than that. She makes sure she gets adequate protein through out the day. She utilizes pre workouts, amino acids, and multivitamins. She programs her work outs months in advance and does not stray from the plan. She stays another hour after her main lift to do assistance work. She is busting her ass every single day and fueling her body like the gains depend on it(which they obviously do). And wouldn't ya know, she's getting bigger, stronger, fitter, and healthier. The gains are coming and her confidence is soaring. I am so proud every single day I see her in the gym becuase she shows up and bust her ass, works harder than any other person in the gym.

Quit falling into the void of "going through the motions". Go to train with a purpose, with intent, with a drive like you might not survive unless you have a great workout. Quit hitting 4 sets of 1 then going home. Use reps, use sets, work until your body quits. Brandon Lilly's new approach is a great tool to fix the mundane hub bub of what training for powerlifting has turned into. Train and condition your whole body and mind. Average never molded a champion.

smoothballer
12-17-12, 8:11 am
Agree 100%

Are you also on the Cube?

Bruiser
12-17-12, 8:45 am
Great post Marshall. I know exactly how it feels. Every time I try to focus on the big three, progress stalls out. I'll be lucky if I'm training for 40 minutes a day. But when I go in and focus on volume, I'm in the gym for 1.5-2 hours a day and I see a huge jump in my lifts. Same goes for diet, miss one meal and the whole day ends up shot becaue I fall outta my groove.

Beowulf
12-17-12, 2:40 pm
Great point, thanks for posting this.

Freakshowelite
12-17-12, 9:59 pm
Agree 100%

Are you also on the Cube?

I am not, I have never been able to conform to a particular training method. I train to "in the moment" when I go to the gym. I think that brandon is on to something though. He has taken so key elements from different training programs and combined them.

Freakshowelite
12-17-12, 10:00 pm
Great post Marshall. I know exactly how it feels. Every time I try to focus on the big three, progress stalls out. I'll be lucky if I'm training for 40 minutes a day. But when I go in and focus on volume, I'm in the gym for 1.5-2 hours a day and I see a huge jump in my lifts. Same goes for diet, miss one meal and the whole day ends up shot becaue I fall outta my groove.

success is a lot of little things done right, over and over again. Day after day, month after month

Freakshowelite
12-17-12, 10:00 pm
Great point, thanks for posting this.

absolutely your welcome! I half had a point to make, and half wanted to brag up my wife :)

MAB
12-17-12, 10:21 pm
absolutely your welcome! I half had a point to make, and half wanted to brag up my wife :)

Your point was motivational and valid. Love that you really just wanted to brag about your wife... it's super cute :) I'm sure what means the most to her is when you tell her just how proud of her you are. I think someone else telling you they're proud of you and what you've accomplished is an amazing complement. It definitely helps keep your motivation alive and your spirits high.

I fall short on eating the veggies (go straight for the protein) and I loathe cardio so I'm typically lacking there unless it's something fun and interesting (luckily I've got someone throwing cardio craziness my way so this area is getting better). I may have slight ADHD so I often forget my multis... Eventually I find a system that works well for helping me remember my supplements on a daily basis.

GUNS
12-17-12, 11:10 pm
You definately have to put as much into the other side, as you do in the gym. The time we are not in the gym is so much more important. Kill it in the gym and out!

Freakshowelite
12-19-12, 11:01 pm
Your point was motivational and valid. Love that you really just wanted to brag about your wife... it's super cute :) I'm sure what means the most to her is when you tell her just how proud of her you are. I think someone else telling you they're proud of you and what you've accomplished is an amazing complement. It definitely helps keep your motivation alive and your spirits high.

I fall short on eating the veggies (go straight for the protein) and I loathe cardio so I'm typically lacking there unless it's something fun and interesting (luckily I've got someone throwing cardio craziness my way so this area is getting better). I may have slight ADHD so I often forget my multis... Eventually I find a system that works well for helping me remember my supplements on a daily basis.

which is how your supposed to do it. You can't live someone elses routine and expect results, you need to find what works for you personally and stick to it

Freakshowelite
12-19-12, 11:02 pm
You definately have to put as much into the other side, as you do in the gym. The time we are not in the gym is so much more important. Kill it in the gym and out!

its the things that you do when no one is watching that seperates people who are average from people who are great.