PDA

View Full Version : Sumo Deadlifts

rbowman91
12-18-12, 10:46 am
I've been deadlifting conventional for a while now, and felt like changing it up with some Sumo's, but I've never done them before and there are few serious power lifters at my gym.

Can anyone recommend a good article or youtube video explanation of how to do these properly? Or Is it simply a difference in stance but everything else is the same?

Thanks fellas

Aggression
12-18-12, 11:06 am
Its still a deadlift. The difference is that you're in sumo stance, obviously. Sumo deads use more glute/hip compared to conventional.

C.Coronato, myself, and Chris DellaFave did a bunch of deadlifts the other week. The former does conventional, the latter 2 use sumo: http://youtu.be/TQ0cwdwoM7E

rbowman91
12-18-12, 11:28 am
Its still a deadlift. The difference is that you're in sumo stance, obviously. Sumo deads use more glute/hip compared to conventional.

C.Coronato, myself, and Chris DellaFave did a bunch of deadlifts the other week. The former does conventional, the latter 2 use sumo: http://youtu.be/TQ0cwdwoM7E

Thanks bro this is rock solid! Great pulls fellas.

Also that gym looks sick. I've never heard of Bergen County Barbell, but may have to add it to my NJ Gym pilgrimage list.

Aggression
12-18-12, 11:38 am
Also that gym looks sick. I've never heard of Bergen County Barbell, but may have to add it to my NJ Gym pilgrimage list.

Its actually a place called FORCE. Bergen County Barbell is just a group name that he came up with. Its way up in North Jersey. Sweet gym, no doubt.

rainman
12-18-12, 4:59 pm
I am the same as you. I have always lifted conventional as my main deadlift stance and have always been able to pull more using this style, but switched to sumos a few months back.

I guess it's all the same muscles being used, but in a different order with regards to effort, or this is what I've found. So far I have found that getting the weight off the floor has been more difficult, but generally it's more likely to go up when it is off it. The hardest thing I found was that you have to sort of push outwards with your feet, as if you're trying to break the ground open, which is hard to get the hang of.

Ben Rice did a great tutorial of sumo pulling and does a much better job explaining the lift than I just have. Check it out on Youtube. Also check out the recent video Ben Seath posted as he also does these amazing double pauses when pulling sumos, which is a good breakdown of the lift.

mritter3
12-18-12, 9:03 pm
This^^^^^

BOSS
12-20-12, 12:46 am
I've been deadlifting conventional for a while now, and felt like changing it up with some Sumo's, but I've never done them before and there are few serious power lifters at my gym.

Can anyone recommend a good article or youtube video explanation of how to do these properly? Or Is it simply a difference in stance but everything else is the same?

Thanks fellas

You can definitely benefit greatly from sumo deadlifting. The comment about pushing out with your knees is very important. Sumo allows you to really use a lot of leg drive by bringing you hips closer to the bar. for a beginner, I'd highly recommend learning these by doing a lot of sets where the weight is set on blocks about 4" off the ground. This makes building the hip strength easier.

J Wong
12-21-12, 12:36 am
Here is a pretty good tutorial video of both conventional and sumo deadlifting:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWGLcgsUjz4

My problem with sumo deadlifting is always the fact that I can pull submaximal weights with ease and it feels great, but when I get to heavier weight it feels off to me and I go back to conventional. After my meet I am going to train both stances because I feel that with my strengths and body type, sumo might actually be the ideal way for me to deadlift.

BOSS
12-22-12, 7:58 pm
My problem with sumo deadlifting is always the fact that I can pull submaximal weights with ease and it feels great, but when I get to heavier weight it feels off to me and I go back to conventional. After my meet I am going to train both stances because I feel that with my strengths and body type, sumo might actually be the ideal way for me to deadlift.

Sumo takes time to build up. If you are going to gain the leverage it offers by keeping your hips close to the bar you must build up hip strength mot just hip flexibility... doesn't come overnight!