PDA

View Full Version : Bench Press Variations

The Mississippi Monster
12-28-12, 10:17 am
Over the years, I have set numerous records in the bench press in several different weight classes. I have set raw records and shirted records using all sorts of variations in the bench press.......
Let me hear yours?

BOSS
12-29-12, 4:58 am
Nothing fancy. My training revolves around heavy paused reps, heavy speed reps and paused wide grip reps or paused inclines.

The Mississippi Monster
12-29-12, 9:28 am
Nothing fancy. My training revolves around heavy paused reps, heavy speed reps and paused wide grip reps or paused inclines.

Years ago, when I first started out we trained in a friends garage. All we did was the 3 lifts, but used different variations of stance's and grips. I hit elite totals in the 165lb, 181lb and 198lb classes that way...your right it doesn't take anything fancy, just hard work!

J Wong
12-29-12, 11:01 am
My favorite variation that I feel helps my bench is benching against chains for 3 sets of 5 as a secondary movement to the regular bench

The Mississippi Monster
12-29-12, 12:17 pm
My favorite variation that I feel helps my bench is benching against chains for 3 sets of 5 as a secondary movement to the regular bench

Chains are great for overloads and working the top end!!!

Tauscheck
12-29-12, 1:03 pm
Our high school had a record board. There were 4 levels, The lifts were bench squat and clean/jerk. There was a chart that calculated your total lifts into points and each level was a certin amount of points. So someone who was 150 lb weight class didnt have to lift as much as 250 lb. weight class.
All 4 years I lifted in high school I always used close grip, I never tried wide or any variations. I look back now and wonder why but I guess no one really taught me, I also wish I knew then what I know now.
I left high school without the bench or squat record that I wanted but I left with being only the 2nd student with a level 4 which means I had the 2nd highest raw total.
Not a bench record but It was a record in my books

B.D.Smash
12-30-12, 6:34 pm
Drop sets

I'll put 10kg plates on instead of the 20's. when i first started lifting i plateaued at 80kgs. So i put 3 10kg plates each side. Would push out 10 reps, drop a plate, push out another 10, drop a plate and then all the way down to the bar.

Rail Roads

Similar to above but can be really excruciating and not for the faint of heart. start out with 10kg each side and go for five reps. no rest...add another 10 each side and another 5 reps. keep going up until you can't make the 5 reps and then back down. no rest between sets means just the amount of time it takes to load and unload the plates.

Take 2 minutes and then start again.

Both of these are guaranteed to see growth and strength...at least in me they did. I don't have any bench press records.

BigChrisF
12-30-12, 10:28 pm
After my last meet, they held a short odd lift competition. Since I can get talked into doing stupid things, I did it too. Without warming up I tried unsuccessfully a couple of times to one-arm bench 85 kg with my right arm. Just couldn't balance it. After that I worked up pause benching with a mixed grip. I had my left hand as my under-hand grip and got 185 kgs. I re-aggravated an old elbow injury on that one and called it quits. The guy I was competing with did 190 kgs. I don't recommend doing either of these.

The Mississippi Monster
12-31-12, 10:36 am
Our high school had a record board. There were 4 levels, The lifts were bench squat and clean/jerk. There was a chart that calculated your total lifts into points and each level was a certin amount of points. So someone who was 150 lb weight class didnt have to lift as much as 250 lb. weight class.
All 4 years I lifted in high school I always used close grip, I never tried wide or any variations. I look back now and wonder why but I guess no one really taught me, I also wish I knew then what I know now.
I left high school without the bench or squat record that I wanted but I left with being only the 2nd student with a level 4 which means I had the 2nd highest raw total.
Not a bench record but It was a record in my books

You made your mark, that what counts!

The Mississippi Monster
12-31-12, 10:41 am
Drop sets

I'll put 10kg plates on instead of the 20's. when i first started lifting i plateaued at 80kgs. So i put 3 10kg plates each side. Would push out 10 reps, drop a plate, push out another 10, drop a plate and then all the way down to the bar.

Rail Roads

Similar to above but can be really excruciating and not for the faint of heart. start out with 10kg each side and go for five reps. no rest...add another 10 each side and another 5 reps. keep going up until you can't make the 5 reps and then back down. no rest between sets means just the amount of time it takes to load and unload the plates.

Take 2 minutes and then start again.

Both of these are guaranteed to see growth and strength...at least in me they did. I don't have any bench press records.

We call these burnouts or depletion sets......excellent to do at the end of any workout!

BOSS
12-31-12, 10:57 am
Chains are great for overloads and working the top end!!!

More recently what I've done for extra lockout strength is bench with the slingshot. Either the regular or maddog version.

The Mississippi Monster
12-31-12, 11:19 am
More recently what I've done for extra lockout strength is bench with the slingshot. Either the regular or maddog version.

Excellent! We use regular bands doubled over around our arms just like the slingshot, except with the bands you can use different bands for different tension strength...we use these one week, next we'll use boards for top end, the next shirts, the next we might use reverse bands....which was my favorite when I was benching heavy with a shirt........825 in a shirt = 650 x 3 in reverse bands with no shirt!

BOSS
12-31-12, 2:35 pm
Excellent! We use regular bands doubled over around our arms just like the slingshot, except with the bands you can use different bands for different tension strength...we use these one week, next we'll use boards for top end, the next shirts, the next we might use reverse bands....which was my favorite when I was benching heavy with a shirt........825 in a shirt = 650 x 3 in reverse bands with no shirt!

Sounds good. I just look at the too slingshots I use as giving about a 50 and a 100 pound carryover. Next time around I'll be looking to put up 600 with the maddog but after that 600 with the regular...

The Mississippi Monster
12-31-12, 3:21 pm
Sounds good. I just look at the too slingshots I use as giving about a 50 and a 100 pound carryover. Next time around I'll be looking to put up 600 with the maddog but after that 600 with the regular...

The purple bands have about a 40lb carryover and the big blue bands have about a 120lb carryover....just had a client hit 600 with the maddog...I figured it had just under 100lbs carryover...

JHOORNSTRA
01-04-13, 9:48 pm
Just like I learned in high school...lay back on bench, flat backed...grab bar thumb length from inside knarl line...nothing special...if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Training takes care of the rest.

J-HO

The Mississippi Monster
01-05-13, 12:27 pm
Just like I learned in high school...lay back on bench, flat backed...grab bar thumb length from inside knarl line...nothing special...if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Training takes care of the rest.

J-HO

There's only a few freaks like you J-HO....others like me have to use every trick in the book!

BOSS
01-05-13, 11:31 pm
There's only a few freaks like you J-HO....others like me have to use every trick in the book!

I also agree with Jeremy that training is huge. If you get TOO caught up in arching or taking too many maxes sometimes you can simply not train through enough volume

The Mississippi Monster
01-07-13, 7:48 am
I also agree with Jeremy that training is huge. If you get TOO caught up in arching or taking too many maxes sometimes you can simply not train through enough volume

Dan, your in that same freak mode as Jeremy..there's only a few...I was there once myself.....my first 20 years was mostly raw, hitting 457lbs @ 198(18yoa), 551 @ 220, 601 @ 242(weighing 229)..when the injuries started hindering me, I began my shirted years........I agree with working volume with less emphasis on maxes. Too many lifters try to max out too often, not realizing that their causing more harm than good. Being a gym owner and trainer, I see this way too often, especially on the bench press.

JHOORNSTRA
01-07-13, 11:28 am
Dan, your in that same freak mode as Jeremy..there's only a few...I was there once myself.....my first 20 years was mostly raw, hitting 457lbs @ 198(18yoa), 551 @ 220, 601 @ 242(weighing 229)..when the injuries started hindering me, I began my shirted years........I agree with working volume with less emphasis on maxes. Too many lifters try to max out too often, not realizing that their causing more harm than good. Being a gym owner and trainer, I see this way too often, especially on the bench press.

Yep, on the training schedule that Josh Bryant has me on, I really never max...I don't really do singles until a few weeks out of a show, doubles and triples at the least. People will ask, where are you now numbers-wise, and to be honest, I'll have no clue, just that my triple is higher so my single must be higher as well...

The Mississippi Monster
01-07-13, 11:38 am
Yep, on the training schedule that Josh Bryant has me on, I really never max...I don't really do singles until a few weeks out of a show, doubles and triples at the least. People will ask, where are you now numbers-wise, and to be honest, I'll have no clue, just that my triple is higher so my single must be higher as well...

Yeah, I've trained with Josh before when he was with Garry Frank....your in good hands~
Don't feel bad though........that was my reply for years....your just telling the truth at that current time!

BOSS
01-07-13, 5:50 pm
Yeah, I've trained with Josh before when he was with Garry Frank....your in good hands~
Don't feel bad though........that was my reply for years....your just telling the truth at that current time!

Yeah I've adapted a lot of what I saw my training partner do after he started working with JB. I'm heavily focused on hitting new 5RMs 4RMs 3RMs etc... That way I know my max is going up too

JHOORNSTRA
01-10-13, 5:27 pm
Yeah I've adapted a lot of what I saw my training partner do after he started working with JB. I'm heavily focused on hitting new 5RMs 4RMs 3RMs etc... That way I know my max is going up too

Yep, he nailed it when he told me, "it doesn't matter what the guys in your gym see, all that matters is what you hit in a meet". Knowing that by doing triples and sets of five, not quite as impressive to the workout partners but know I'm making progress is key.

The Mississippi Monster
01-10-13, 6:37 pm
Yep, he nailed it when he told me, "it doesn't matter what the guys in your gym see, all that matters is what you hit in a meet". Knowing that by doing triples and sets of five, not quite as impressive to the workout partners but know I'm making progress is key.

Great minds think alike........I've trained like this for 33 years......I never got into fad training.......this has always worked for me, so why try to fix it!

JHOORNSTRA
01-10-13, 8:37 pm
Great minds think alike........I've trained like this for 33 years......I never got into fad training.......this has always worked for me, so why try to fix it!

Was different in college, everyone walking around was a fitness model almost, asking how much...well I had to slap a few more plates on then...

The Mississippi Monster
01-10-13, 9:05 pm
Was different in college, everyone walking around was a fitness model almost, asking how much...well I had to slap a few more plates on then...

Yeah back in the day....I would throw heavy crome plates around in the "Health" Clubs or Spa's when my buddies were hitting the night clubs for their dates

BOSS
01-31-13, 3:35 am
Alright what do you guys think about floor presses? I'm usually not really into them but right now I am injured and can't arch my back to bench so I'm hammering away at these. Thoughts?

The Mississippi Monster
01-31-13, 9:20 am
Alright what do you guys think about floor presses? I'm usually not really into them but right now I am injured and can't arch my back to bench so I'm hammering away at these. Thoughts?

I've never had much use for these Dan, but in your case, I'd do them too..........BTW, Nate Davis, this 22 year old I train just hit a raw 760 squat @ 220 and a near miss with 775 last weekend.....kid is gunna hit 800 raw @ 220 soon!

BOSS
01-31-13, 10:54 pm
I've never had much use for these Dan, but in your case, I'd do them too..........BTW, Nate Davis, this 22 year old I train just hit a raw 760 squat @ 220 and a near miss with 775 last weekend.....kid is gunna hit 800 raw @ 220 soon!

Man it's cool to see all these big raw lifters coming out of the wood works. Nice to see a growth in talent in the sport.

srodak3
02-01-13, 2:02 pm
Just started incorporating more paused rep sets and I'm loving it

BOSS
02-03-13, 4:12 am
Just started incorporating more paused rep sets and I'm loving it

Yeah sometimes just making a basic lift a little more challenging is exactly what the body thrives off of

Bruiser
02-03-13, 6:53 am
Yeah sometimes just making a basic lift a little more challenging is exactly what the body thrives off of

Good point. That's why I love my Fat Gripz!

Deathride
02-06-13, 6:00 pm
Ultra wide benches - does anyone have any views on these? Are they a good assistance exercise or is the stress on the shoulder too much of a risk when the benefits can be found elsewhere?

My other question (to this clearly talented group of benchers).....there seems to be a trend to stop your reps 1-2inches from the chest (Spoto especially trained like this....) Is there a logic behind this?

The Mississippi Monster
02-06-13, 6:17 pm
Ultra wide benches - does anyone have any views on these? Are they a good assistance exercise or is the stress on the shoulder too much of a risk when the benefits can be found elsewhere?

My other question (to this clearly talented group of benchers).....there seems to be a trend to stop your reps 1-2inches from the chest (Spoto especially trained like this....) Is there a logic behind this?

When I was younger and before my shoulder socket started wearing out, I would do pause benches 6 inches wider than my normal grip. Since everyone's shoulders are different widths, this could vary a great deal. For me, I'm 5'7" and was a 198er then.........

Everyone has their perc's, this was one of mine...to me stopping above the chest is like putting on brakes in mid air....it hurt me more than helped me, I prefer to get the complete stretch to the bottom and even use a Buffalo bar at times to get deeper.

Deathride
02-06-13, 7:26 pm
When I was younger and before my shoulder socket started wearing out, I would do pause benches 6 inches wider than my normal grip. Since everyone's shoulders are different widths, this could vary a great deal. For me, I'm 5'7" and was a 198er then.........

Everyone has their perc's, this was one of mine...to me stopping above the chest is like putting on brakes in mid air....it hurt me more than helped me, I prefer to get the complete stretch to the bottom and even use a Buffalo bar at times to get deeper.

Interesting. How do you go about strengthening off your chest? Any particulars? (if I'm going to pick someone's brains, why not pick a record-holder!?)

The Mississippi Monster
02-06-13, 8:42 pm
Interesting. How do you go about strengthening off your chest? Any particulars? (if I'm going to pick someone's brains, why not pick a record-holder!?)

I do a several different things, one as I mentioned is benching with the Buffalo bar. It allows you to go 3 inches deeper than you would with a straight bar.
The next movement is what I call partial benches...you press the bar from your chest to 6 to 8 inches up then back down as fast as possible and as many as possible...for instance, I've done 225 x 100 reps...this works the fast twitch muscles which helps with explosion!

I really like using dumbells, light and heavy...light for wide controlled flies and heavy DB benches but with palms facing each other, really getting deep in the bottom.

I would usually do one of these after heavy benching..........

JHOORNSTRA
02-06-13, 10:41 pm
I have personally never done bench without touching. I feel that nothing will work better than a full range of motion lift. That being said, I think it can be broken down which is why I do deadpresses for speed off chest, closegrip for lockout power, etc. The only time I don't go all the way down is when I'm using boards and only on closegrip bench with bands. The main reason is that it doesn't allow me to build up the momentum that is created from the easier bottom part as the band relaxes. It kills the triceps and nails the lockout more than most in my opinion. Everyone has their own opinions and he is a strong guy so whatever works I guess.

J-HO

BOSS
02-13-13, 1:37 pm

I really like doing reps paused on the chest or paused with a wide grip. getting comfortable sinking a weight into your chest a little bit too is nice to really increase the ROM that the chest works over

TheJuggernautBitch
02-21-13, 9:42 am
I really like doing reps paused on the chest or paused with a wide grip. getting comfortable sinking a weight into your chest a little bit too is nice to really increase the ROM that the chest works over

when you do wide girps, do you go illegal grip? or just a little wider than usual?
thanks!

JHOORNSTRA
03-20-13, 4:15 pm
I was just critiqued not too long ago on my form. The critique stated that I am using way too many muscle groups when I bench, associating my shoulders, triceps, chest, etc. I would "feel it more" if I went wider and possibly put my feet up on the bench. Great advice. Thanks.

JHo

The Mississippi Monster
03-20-13, 5:54 pm
I was just critiqued not too long ago on my form. The critique stated that I am using way too many muscle groups when I bench, associating my shoulders, triceps, chest, etc. I would "feel it more" if I went wider and possibly put my feet up on the bench. Great advice. Thanks.

JHo

Jeremy, a powerlifter is going to utilize more shoulders, triceps and back into the bench because its not an isolated movement, we use our entire body with each of the compound movements. To put your feet up on the bench, you will feel it more because it becomes more of an isolated movement for chest used in bodybuilding.

JHOORNSTRA
03-20-13, 5:57 pm
Jeremy, a powerlifter is going to utilize more shoulders, triceps and back into the bench because its not an isolated movement, we use our entire body with each of the compound movements. To put your feet up on the bench, you will feel it more because it becomes more of an isolated movement for chest used in bodybuilding.

I realize that, he was critiquing me saying that I should not be using them...from a competition I was competing in. I use mainly my shoulders and triceps anyway...

JHo

The Mississippi Monster
03-20-13, 6:03 pm
I realize that, he was critiquing me saying that I should not be using them...from a competition I was competing in. I use mainly my shoulders and triceps anyway...

JHo

Unless he can bench what or more than you bench, his critique doesn't matter...it works for you, your unique and the king!

JHOORNSTRA
03-20-13, 6:06 pm
Unless he can bench what or more than you bench, his critique doesn't matter...it works for you, your unique and the king!

Thanks, nah he was a crossfit guy saying I'm just feeding my ego with big numbers, strength doesn't matter, etc. To each their own. One of the 185 for 10 slow reps, wide grip with feet on bench to feel it in the chest more kind of guys I guess. Not saying there's anything wrong with that, I just have a different opinion.

JHo

BigChrisF
03-20-13, 10:47 pm

JHo

Lol. Too many muscle groups? I didn't think that was possible.

JHOORNSTRA
03-20-13, 10:49 pm
Lol. Too many muscle groups? I didn't think that was possible.

Right...? Probably would've told me to deadlift with stiff legs to take back out of the equation so you don't hurt your back...lift with your legs...

Deathride
03-21-13, 5:02 am
Aw bless - yeah Mr Hoornstra, stop feeding your ego by trying to be the strongest bench presser ever to walk the planet....so self-indulgent! ;-)

JHOORNSTRA
03-21-13, 7:29 am
Aw bless - yeah Mr Hoornstra, stop feeding your ego by trying to be the strongest bench presser ever to walk the planet....so self-indulgent! ;-)

I know, I'm a selfish bastard.

Deathride
03-21-13, 6:23 pm
Only in the sense that you need all the weight in the gym to max out your bench press. Leave a 45 or 2 for someone else, eh?! :-)

JHOORNSTRA
03-22-13, 5:05 pm
Only in the sense that you need all the weight in the gym to max out your bench press. Leave a 45 or 2 for someone else, eh?! :-)

Yeah, if I had a quarter every time I've heard that...what sucks is that my gym (fitness center) has exactly 22 - 45 lbs plates that match and I'm anal on them matching, some are rubber, some all metal, etc so when I shrug I need all 22 usually because they interlock otherwise they won't all fit on...and I have to search, barter people to trade me a rubber one for the interlocking ones, etc...sucks

JHo