PDA

View Full Version : What does J-HO know....?

JHOORNSTRA
01-04-13, 10:08 pm
Everyone else had catchy shit...haha.

Universal Rep
01-07-13, 9:24 am

Haha, welcome aboard brotha. Here's a question. Since the CAGE is around the corner and since ya had lifts in it before, wuts the vibe like liftin there? What can the few fellas expect?

JHOORNSTRA
01-10-13, 5:29 pm
Haha, welcome aboard brotha. Here's a question. Since the CAGE is around the corner and since ya had lifts in it before, wuts the vibe like liftin there? What can the few fellas expect?

Intensity is the best word...nonstop stuff going on, seminars, demos, everything. Most people stay there the whole weekend so they don't miss anything...

Universal Rep
01-14-13, 2:15 pm
Intensity is the best word...nonstop stuff going on, seminars, demos, everything. Most people stay there the whole weekend so they don't miss anything...

Yup... The show is a madhouse. I talk to a lot of fellas about stoppin by the CAGE, and they always say they want to but that it's so crowded, they have a hard time even gettin close sometimes.

JHOORNSTRA
01-16-13, 6:04 pm
Yup... The show is a madhouse. I talk to a lot of fellas about stoppin by the CAGE, and they always say they want to but that it's so crowded, they have a hard time even gettin close sometimes.

On my dvd, it has a clip of me doing what I think was 635 and Nick Winters spotting me, but the camera pans around and you can see nothing but people stacked on top of each other trying to watch...crazy

Universal Rep
01-28-13, 10:14 am
Wuts ur diet like leadin up to a meet, JHO?

JHOORNSTRA
01-28-13, 5:47 pm
Wuts ur diet like leadin up to a meet, JHO?

Well before it was usually not too different, I eat clean as a rule, 10 plus eggs and grits for breakfast, about 5 chicken breasts and 4 potatoes throughout the day, red meat twice, etc. Occassional cheat meal but lately I've had to diet as I'm slowly but surely gaining weight. This last show, I decided to not do the 242 and just go for the 715 and now it's actually going to be similar but twice the carbs...load that shit up because I'm not close to 275...sitting around 262 so plently of room. We'll see how it goes.

Universal Rep
01-29-13, 11:15 am
Well before it was usually not too different, I eat clean as a rule, 10 plus eggs and grits for breakfast, about 5 chicken breasts and 4 potatoes throughout the day, red meat twice, etc. Occassional cheat meal but lately I've had to diet as I'm slowly but surely gaining weight. This last show, I decided to not do the 242 and just go for the 715 and now it's actually going to be similar but twice the carbs...load that shit up because I'm not close to 275...sitting around 262 so plently of room. We'll see how it goes.

Twice the carbs, eh?

jaymax
02-01-13, 3:08 pm
Hey Jeremy,
congratz on the baby and thanks for being so cool as to answer questions!

I've read a couple examples of your typical workout template but nothing that specific so forgive me if you've mentioned this elsewhere. I have a question for you regarding intensity. I'm basically trying to be a bber/pler hybrid like yourself. How important do you feel intensity (% of 1RM) is for strength gain at your advanced level?

In your experience does something like a 5x5 to 3x3 periodization scheme still work well (for you)..ending up in that 85-90% range at the end of the cycle? Or do you feel that hitting 90% and above on a weekly basis is necessary to gain strength as some westside proponents advocate?

I am just coming back to a split routine with lots of repetition volume work with around a 400lb max bench and still struggling over whether a linear cycle starting at say 75% with 5x5 or similar and building up - with lots of higher rep assistance - is as effective and going Max Effort all the time. Not to imply I'm anywhere near your level or ever will be but I'm definitely at the point where a 10lb bench increase is a big deal.

Thanks for your insight, Jay ;)

JHOORNSTRA
02-03-13, 11:40 am
Hey Jeremy,
congratz on the baby and thanks for being so cool as to answer questions!

I've read a couple examples of your typical workout template but nothing that specific so forgive me if you've mentioned this elsewhere. I have a question for you regarding intensity. I'm basically trying to be a bber/pler hybrid like yourself. How important do you feel intensity (% of 1RM) is for strength gain at your advanced level?

In your experience does something like a 5x5 to 3x3 periodization scheme still work well (for you)..ending up in that 85-90% range at the end of the cycle? Or do you feel that hitting 90% and above on a weekly basis is necessary to gain strength as some westside proponents advocate?

I am just coming back to a split routine with lots of repetition volume work with around a 400lb max bench and still struggling over whether a linear cycle starting at say 75% with 5x5 or similar and building up - with lots of higher rep assistance - is as effective and going Max Effort all the time. Not to imply I'm anywhere near your level or ever will be but I'm definitely at the point where a 10lb bench increase is a big deal.

Thanks for your insight, Jay ;)

Thanks man, I appreciate it.

It is still important to keep everything in there, and actually this week I'm set to do a few triples. Granted they're a little lighter than normal because I'm trying to make sure I have a good over-exaggerated start pause, pause each at the bottom and the top, so it will in theory still be as hard, just not as heavy as previously done. I'm not sure that hitting 90% of your max is necessary weekly, but at least often. I have a deload week every fourth week of training and it's a buildup going into those so I'm, at least for a week, not at 90% and it ends up being way more volume.

I honestly don't think that going 100% max weekly is good. It is very hard on the body and after time will catch up to you. I will say it's good, but in moderation. The big thing is an evaluation. I was great at singles, and at the 15-20 rep range. However, my triples and stuff were lagging. Once I caught that up, I feel more balanced and have been making weekly gains. Obviously, the constants, sleep, diet, etc need to be in check but other than that, a good variety with balance in the workout will promote the most strength gains in my opinion.

I guess to sum up, and I'm not sure if I've answered your question or not, and if I haven't, hit me back anytime, but I'd say going 100% is good...occassionally, but the low rep work, doubles, triples, etc will promote the most strength carry over.

J-HO

jaymax
02-04-13, 12:37 pm
J-Ho,
thanks that answered my question pretty well. I've been sold on the idea of high-frequency for a while now am moving back to a more typical bodybuilding split. Now I'm working with 3-5 heavy sets followed by lots of higher rep assistance volume (not dissimilar to a sample workout you laid out in an interview).

I've just been torn on whether to stick to a linear-style cycle like Ed Coan, etc or more frequently going heavier. Thanks for your input, it does help. I think I'll go with a 3-week wave cycle of varied reps and intensity for a while and see how it goes.

Thanks, Jay.

Universal Rep
02-04-13, 12:40 pm
J-Ho,
thanks that answered my question pretty well. I've been sold on the idea of high-frequency for a while now am moving back to a more typical bodybuilding split. Now I'm working with 3-5 heavy sets followed by lots of higher rep assistance volume (not dissimilar to a sample workout you laid out in an interview).

I've just been torn on whether to stick to a linear-style cycle like Ed Coan, etc or more frequently going heavier. Thanks for your input, it does help. I think I'll go with a 3-week wave cycle of varied reps and intensity for a while and see how it goes.

Thanks, Jay.

Thnx for postin ur question, JM.... There's a wealth of knowledge here on the FORVM from fellas like Hoornstra, but someones gotta tap it. Glad ya are.

jaymax
02-04-13, 3:54 pm
Thnx for postin ur question, JM.... There's a wealth of knowledge here on the FORVM from fellas like Hoornstra, but someones gotta tap it. Glad ya are.

You said it. It's a great privelage to be able to benefit from it...especially in times like this where great guys like J-Ho answer questions in forums sponsored by great companies.

rainman
02-04-13, 7:15 pm
Has your hand position on the bar stayed the same as you have progressively increased weight over the years, or have you moved them outwards to increase stability?

Mr. Dead
02-11-13, 1:34 pm
Happy Birthday...!!!

JHOORNSTRA
02-12-13, 7:07 pm
Has your hand position on the bar stayed the same as you have progressively increased weight over the years, or have you moved them outwards to increase stability?

They've pretty much stayed where I started in high school, thumb lengh away from the inside knarl line, about an inch or so inside the ring with my pinky. I'm a close bench, stronger triceps but I feel more balanced and steady there.

JHO

JHOORNSTRA
02-12-13, 7:08 pm
Happy Birthday...!!!

Thanks yo!

rainman
02-13-13, 3:36 pm
Thanks for the reply. I'm more of a close grip bencher myself too, (although I'm not shifting half the weight you do!) I've never had a problem with balance really, but had an elbow give out a couple of weeks back at the bottom of a press. I'll just put it down to a bad day at the office.

JHOORNSTRA
02-13-13, 3:50 pm
Thanks for the reply. I'm more of a close grip bencher myself too, (although I'm not shifting half the weight you do!) I've never had a problem with balance really, but had an elbow give out a couple of weeks back at the bottom of a press. I'll just put it down to a bad day at the office.

Yeah that happens, sounds like that's all it was. If it keeps happening, however, I'd rethink it

shortstack
02-13-13, 3:58 pm
Hey Jeremy, I'll take advantage of your wisdom and drill you a little.

I'm preping for a PL meet in Nov and need to get my lagging bench up.

I'm using a modified 5/3/1 program in that the last set of each exercise, bench, squat, whatever, I do the reps to failure instead of the prescribed 5/3/1. It seems to really help build strength but besides regular bench and the accesory work, what other kinds of bench work can I do to help add weight?

There's probably a million but what is one of your favorite techniques I can add in to help bring it up?

Thanks

Jeremy

JHOORNSTRA
02-14-13, 6:35 pm
Hey Jeremy, I'll take advantage of your wisdom and drill you a little.

I'm preping for a PL meet in Nov and need to get my lagging bench up.

I'm using a modified 5/3/1 program in that the last set of each exercise, bench, squat, whatever, I do the reps to failure instead of the prescribed 5/3/1. It seems to really help build strength but besides regular bench and the accesory work, what other kinds of bench work can I do to help add weight?

There's probably a million but what is one of your favorite techniques I can add in to help bring it up?

Thanks

Jeremy

Yeah, there's a lot and it all depends on where you're lagging, weak points, etc. I like closegrip bandpresses, especially if you use board because it cuts out the momentum and just kills the lockout. Othere than that, deadpresses rock, speed sets like 3 reps, rack to rack in a second and a half, stuff like that. There are the other stuff that's essential like scalpula retractions but in my opinion, the best "helpers" are deadpress, closegrip bands, military presses, and bentover rows.

JHO

JHOORNSTRA
02-14-13, 6:59 pm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-wu1dR9U_w

Here's a few clips from today's chest workout

JHOORNSTRA
02-14-13, 7:03 pm

Ok, for some reason, the volume isn't working on it, but will see why...in case it won't, it's me warming up to a double with 625, start command pause and paused on the bottom, then a speed set double with 575, was my third set I believe. Sucks no volume but will see what I can do...

shortstack
02-14-13, 7:19 pm
Yeah, there's a lot and it all depends on where you're lagging, weak points, etc. I like closegrip bandpresses, especially if you use board because it cuts out the momentum and just kills the lockout. Othere than that, deadpresses rock, speed sets like 3 reps, rack to rack in a second and a half, stuff like that. There are the other stuff that's essential like scalpula retractions but in my opinion, the best "helpers" are deadpress, closegrip bands, military presses, and bentover rows.

JHO

Thanks Jeremy. Gives me a ton of stuff to work on. Nice benching!

Aggression
02-15-13, 8:47 am
Looking good, my man. Keep truckin'.

Universal Rep
02-15-13, 11:12 am

That looks like coffee ur drinkin but I know it cant be coffee. Can it?

JHOORNSTRA
02-15-13, 11:14 am

No, damn video with no sound, it's animal rage, I believe the apple flavor...tastes good, like a jolly rancher almost. I have coffee before a workout every now and then but then the rage on the way and during the first part of the workout.

JHOORNSTRA
02-15-13, 11:15 am

I was, however, representing the alumni with the cup though...haha

Universal Rep
02-15-13, 11:36 am
No, damn video with no sound, it's animal rage, I believe the apple flavor...tastes good, like a jolly rancher almost. I have coffee before a workout every now and then but then the rage on the way and during the first part of the workout.

I was, however, representing the alumni with the cup though...haha

Haha nice... Apple Jacked is the flava and its a good one.

Now, about that sound...

JHOORNSTRA
02-15-13, 11:39 am
Haha nice... Apple Jacked is the flava and its a good one.

Now, about that sound...

I checked the computer and it didn't have sound on it either, so I don't know...The only clip I have left is the last one with the 625 for the double and actually have a 575 for a speed double, I believe it was my 3rd set and will try to repost those on here and make sure the next one is good and you can hear what the hell I'm saying...as interesting as it is to watch me talk...with no sound...I sould subtitle that shit...haha

JHO

Universal Rep
02-15-13, 11:40 am
I checked the computer and it didn't have sound on it either, so I don't know...The only clip I have left is the last one with the 625 for the double and actually have a 575 for a speed double, I believe it was my 3rd set and will try to repost those on here and make sure the next one is good and you can hear what the hell I'm saying...as interesting as it is to watch me talk...with no sound...I sould subtitle that shit...haha

JHO

Wuz a great vid, J-HO and def lookin forward to more in the very near future... Haha, yeah subtitles... In English and French...

JHOORNSTRA
02-15-13, 11:45 am
Wuz a great vid, J-HO and def lookin forward to more in the very near future... Haha, yeah subtitles... In English and French...

Definitely, then we can cater to all the poussoirs français de mauvais cul dans le forum...

Universal Rep
02-15-13, 11:49 am
Definitely, then we can cater to all the poussoirs français de mauvais cul dans le forum...

J'aime... He he ha ha...

Seriously tho, who do ya think will break the bench record next?

JHOORNSTRA
02-15-13, 12:21 pm
J'aime... He he ha ha...

Seriously tho, who do ya think will break the bench record next?

haha, I checked the translation, was supposed to say "french bad asses on the forum" and it said something like push rods...whatever those are...

Well...I'm a little over 700 paused now so hopefully me, just have to wait til after the baby, so maybe may, june, july, few big shows around then that I'm going for 730...other than that, Spoto is next...but hopefully I'll get over that...

Universal Rep
02-15-13, 12:35 pm
haha, I checked the translation, was supposed to say "french bad asses on the forum" and it said something like push rods...whatever those are...

Well...I'm a little over 700 paused now so hopefully me, just have to wait til after the baby, so maybe may, june, july, few big shows around then that I'm going for 730...other than that, Spoto is next...but hopefully I'll get over that...

Gonna be a blast to see u and Spoto competin for the record thats for sure... Me, I have no doubt youll hit 730...

showtime721
02-16-13, 5:36 pm
Hey man, do you have a heavy and light bench day in the same week? or just do speed work after heavy stuff?

tjoe
02-16-13, 9:05 pm
watched the 625/575 video.
great stuff. I must say the thing that stands out to me most are those damn shoulders! Hence my question:
Do you just do some delt work after you bench work or do you have a separate day for shoulders?
Have fun in the cage and good luck hittin that record!

JHOORNSTRA
02-18-13, 9:38 am
Gonna be a blast to see u and Spoto competin for the record thats for sure... Me, I have no doubt youll hit 730...

Thanks man, hopefully soon, have to find a good competition after the baby comes.

JHOORNSTRA
02-18-13, 9:40 am
watched the 625/575 video.
great stuff. I must say the thing that stands out to me most are those damn shoulders! Hence my question:
Do you just do some delt work after you bench work or do you have a separate day for shoulders?
Have fun in the cage and good luck hittin that record!

Sometimes...Josh Bryant writes out my workouts, my shoulders have always been really dominant so he's catching my chest up, etc but every now and then there will be a shoulder exercise after chest. However, my split is heavy chest, legs, speed chest/shoulders/tris, and back...so they're getting worked nonetheless...I have always, previously at least, trained more bodybuilding style so shoulders was it's own day.

JHOORNSTRA
02-18-13, 9:41 am
Hey man, do you have a heavy and light bench day in the same week? or just do speed work after heavy stuff?

Yeah, heavy chest day and light, speed chest with shoulders and triceps are usually about 3 to 4 days apart.

G Diesel
02-18-13, 10:44 am
What's good my brother? Hope all is well with you and the fam.

I've got a question for you, as a fellow bench addict (with much more terrestrial stats, obviously), I'd love to know what you do to push past strength plateaus. What specific techniques, exercises, etc?

Also, what non-bench exercises do you prioritize to help raise your numbers on the bench?

Thanks bro.

Peace, G

JHOORNSTRA
02-18-13, 3:45 pm

I've got a question for you, as a fellow bench addict (with much more terrestrial stats, obviously), I'd love to know what you do to push past strength plateaus. What specific techniques, exercises, etc?

Also, what non-bench exercises do you prioritize to help raise your numbers on the bench?

Thanks bro.

Peace, G

G! My man...as far as plateaus, constant change, whether in reps, movements, whatever is keeping you the same, I change it up. The speed day, all that plays into it...but for me, the workouts being written out, either by someone or by yourself, to show you exactly what you are to hit daily, then filming it knowing that someone is going to be critiquing it later really helps the whole thing as well. I get the whole, "I don't want to disappoint" thing going on and it helps me know that I need to push through no matter what. Other than that, the theory of training to be number one, you have to train like you're number two...that helped me out for a while.

Non bench, excluding the closely related like deadpresses, band presses, db work, etc, I'd say military presses, bentover rows and deadstop rows are killers. A strong foundation with solid tri's, delts, and lats will shoot the bench up fast.

And my family is doing fine, ready for this baby to come out...as I'm sure your's is as well...how is that coming along? Hope all is well brother. Take care.

Jeremy

tjoe
02-18-13, 8:08 pm
Thanks for the quick response Jeremy.
Good luck at the cage and of course the all time record.

JHOORNSTRA
02-18-13, 8:14 pm
Thanks for the quick response Jeremy.
Good luck at the cage and of course the all time record.

Thanks man, I appreciate it.

J-HO

JHOORNSTRA
04-22-13, 10:43 pm

Thanks bro.

Peace, G

Hey did you have that baby yet?

Beowulf
04-25-13, 2:54 pm
I'm sorry if this has been asked already, but what's your next meet Jeremy?

JHOORNSTRA
04-26-13, 11:12 am
I'm sorry if this has been asked already, but what's your next meet Jeremy?

Looking to do a few but I wanna say the next meet is July 27th in FL, raw worlds or something. After that I have a few lined up, possibly the Australia one as well, we'll see. Also maybe Russia towards the end of the year as well.

JHo

rbowman91
05-07-13, 1:40 pm
JHO,

I'm a bodybuilder recently moving torwards powerlifting to use in my training. If i'm going to have a badass physique, I'd also like to be strong.

For some reason my bench has never been an impressive lift of mine. I recently started benching for strength once a week, typically doing 3 sets of 5 or 3 sets of 3 reps, followed by some auxilllary movements.

However, not only has my bench plateaued, its actually seeming to go DOWN. is this because i need some kind of periodization or de load?

If so, can you tell me a good example of how I might periodize my bench every week in order to increase it? Thanks!

JHOORNSTRA
05-07-13, 3:35 pm
JHO,

I'm a bodybuilder recently moving torwards powerlifting to use in my training. If i'm going to have a badass physique, I'd also like to be strong.

For some reason my bench has never been an impressive lift of mine. I recently started benching for strength once a week, typically doing 3 sets of 5 or 3 sets of 3 reps, followed by some auxilllary movements.

However, not only has my bench plateaued, its actually seeming to go DOWN. is this because i need some kind of periodization or de load?

If so, can you tell me a good example of how I might periodize my bench every week in order to increase it? Thanks!

Could be a little of both but I need more info, what's your typical week schedule of lifting? How heavy? How often do you lift? Do you break? fill me in and we'll see where we are...

rbowman91
05-07-13, 3:38 pm
Could be a little of both but I need more info, what's your typical week schedule of lifting? How heavy? How often do you lift? Do you break? fill me in and we'll see where we are...

Thanks bro: Looks like this (powerbuilding split)

Monday: Upper body powerlifting (heavy bench is here)
Tuesday: Lower body powerlifting
Wed: Rest
Thursday: Chest/arms bodybuilding (bench variants here. incline, decline, etc, for volume)
Friday: Legs bodybuilding (speed work here also on squats)
Saturday: Back/shoulders bodybuilding

On heavy power day, a typical bench could be 3 sets of 5 reps or 3 sets of 3 reps.

What do you think? Bench not really increasing. Wondering if i need periodization? Or any suggestions?

JHOORNSTRA
05-07-13, 3:40 pm
Thanks bro: Looks like this (powerbuilding split)

Monday: Upper body powerlifting (heavy bench is here)
Tuesday: Lower body powerlifting
Wed: Rest
Thursday: Chest/arms bodybuilding (bench variants here. incline, decline, etc, for volume)
Friday: Legs bodybuilding (speed work here also on squats)
Saturday: Back/shoulders bodybuilding

On heavy power day, a typical bench could be 3 sets of 5 reps or 3 sets of 3 reps.

What do you think? Bench not really increasing. Wondering if i need periodization? Or any suggestions?

sounds solid, how often do you go heavy and how often do you take time off? What's your heavy weight and your bw? Where's your stick point?

rbowman91
05-07-13, 3:50 pm
sounds solid, how often do you go heavy and how often do you take time off? What's your heavy weight and your bw? Where's your stick point?

how often do you go heavy and how often do you take time off? I've been going heavy for the past 4 weeks (which may be causing the problem. and also some shoulder discomfort) Time off is on rest days.

What's your heavy weight and your bw? current bw: 175 (dropped 10 lbs over the past 2 months, due to leaning out a little. Though i keep carbs and plan my cheats around my heavy days).
last time i benched heavy it was only 205 for 3-5 reps. It lags so far behind my DL and Squat that it drives me nuts.

What is a stick point?

JHOORNSTRA
05-07-13, 5:04 pm
how often do you go heavy and how often do you take time off? I've been going heavy for the past 4 weeks (which may be causing the problem. and also some shoulder discomfort) Time off is on rest days.

What's your heavy weight and your bw? current bw: 175 (dropped 10 lbs over the past 2 months, due to leaning out a little. Though i keep carbs and plan my cheats around my heavy days).
last time i benched heavy it was only 205 for 3-5 reps. It lags so far behind my DL and Squat that it drives me nuts.

What is a stick point?

Heavy four weeks in a row may be it...my routine is heavy, heavier, heavier, deload week...which is every fourth week. Stick point is basically where does it get hard on the bench, what's the weakness...is it right off the chest, at the lockout, etc.

rbowman91
05-07-13, 7:37 pm
Heavy four weeks in a row may be it...my routine is heavy, heavier, heavier, deload week...which is every fourth week. Stick point is basically where does it get hard on the bench, what's the weakness...is it right off the chest, at the lockout, etc.

What does a deload set/reps look like for you?

Stick point: I seem to fail more from the chest to the mid-point. Closer to lockout i can usually push through.

JHOORNSTRA
05-07-13, 9:53 pm
What does a deload set/reps look like for you?

Stick point: I seem to fail more from the chest to the mid-point. Closer to lockout i can usually push through.

power movemens usually 50% of max, just about 2 sets of reps around 5, 2 sets of a few aux workout sets and that's it...light, go thru the motions, etc. Should leave feeling like you didn't do anything but stay comfortable in form...as opposed to taking it off and being rusty which happens from time to time. Still a little blood flow, etc. Helps you rest and recover better.

If you're stick point is that low, work on explosion speed off the chest and kill deadpresses...do 5-6 singles after a good heavy bench and will see the stickpoint start to fade...or become somewhere else if that gets stronger. Will help nonetheless...

rbowman91
05-08-13, 10:32 am
power movemens usually 50% of max, just about 2 sets of reps around 5, 2 sets of a few aux workout sets and that's it...light, go thru the motions, etc. Should leave feeling like you didn't do anything but stay comfortable in form...as opposed to taking it off and being rusty which happens from time to time. Still a little blood flow, etc. Helps you rest and recover better.

If you're stick point is that low, work on explosion speed off the chest and kill deadpresses...do 5-6 singles after a good heavy bench and will see the stickpoint start to fade...or become somewhere else if that gets stronger. Will help nonetheless...

When you say "deadpress", do you mean board press?

JHOORNSTRA
05-08-13, 10:35 am
When you say "deadpress", do you mean board press?

No, in a rack, starting the movement at the bottom, actually touching your chest, grab the bar and start there...here's a video...it's way harder than regular bench, lose the groove, lose the tightness, contraction, etc. My deadpress is a solid 80-100lbs less than flat bench but it helps greatly. Here's a vid...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3ZdgBXzIHw

rbowman91
05-08-13, 12:33 pm
No, in a rack, starting the movement at the bottom, actually touching your chest, grab the bar and start there...here's a video...it's way harder than regular bench, lose the groove, lose the tightness, contraction, etc. My deadpress is a solid 80-100lbs less than flat bench but it helps greatly. Here's a vid...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3ZdgBXzIHw

Holy shit man nice press. How often should i do these? Does it replace my regular bench for a couple weeks or what?

rbowman91
05-08-13, 12:37 pm
Holy shit man nice press. How often should i do these? Does it replace my regular bench for a couple weeks or what?

Oh wait nevermind. I see you said to do it AFTER my bench press. hmmmm ive never done this but looks solid. thanks bro!! much appreciated! need to get my numbers up

JHOORNSTRA
05-08-13, 5:01 pm
Oh wait nevermind. I see you said to do it AFTER my bench press. hmmmm ive never done this but looks solid. thanks bro!! much appreciated! need to get my numbers up

Yeah, after. He usually throws it in on mine for about 6 weeks in a row not including deload weeks so about two months then stop it for about one but it shot the bottom half of my bench speed up very quickly.

Lone Wolf
05-11-13, 11:44 pm
I just need some help with my chest/bi routine.
I posted my dilemma here:
http://forum.animalpak.com/showthrea...Biceps-routine
I'm just a young blood ready to train for the rest of my life and become an animal.

rbowman91
05-13-13, 7:49 pm
J,

Where is your starting position for the dead press?

Today was my first time using it (did it after some barbell pressing). I started with the bar on the rack about two inches off my chest (similar to where my negative rep would end on a normal bench press).

However, i felt a lot of delt activation. Even with my back arched and shoulders tucked. Should i be doing the dead press with the bar a couple notches higher on the rack?

JHOORNSTRA
05-14-13, 11:43 am
J,

Where is your starting position for the dead press?

Today was my first time using it (did it after some barbell pressing). I started with the bar on the rack about two inches off my chest (similar to where my negative rep would end on a normal bench press).

However, i felt a lot of delt activation. Even with my back arched and shoulders tucked. Should i be doing the dead press with the bar a couple notches higher on the rack?

Honestly, I go lower, the rack height at my gym slants so it's easier, on the front it's low, back is high about an inch or two decline. So, I set the bench where it's literally touching my sternum sitting on me and bench from there. It's harder and yes with deadpresses you'll feel delts kick in but that's what's supposed to happen also as they do in the bench. Probably just finding weaker muscles in the movement as we all have them. Mine was chest as my shoulders and tris were dominating over it.

rbowman91
05-16-13, 11:06 am
Honestly, I go lower, the rack height at my gym slants so it's easier, on the front it's low, back is high about an inch or two decline. So, I set the bench where it's literally touching my sternum sitting on me and bench from there. It's harder and yes with deadpresses you'll feel delts kick in but that's what's supposed to happen also as they do in the bench. Probably just finding weaker muscles in the movement as we all have them. Mine was chest as my shoulders and tris were dominating over it.

Awesome, great info. Much appreciated brotha, will work on this!

JHOORNSTRA
05-16-13, 7:23 pm
Awesome, great info. Much appreciated brotha, will work on this!

no prob

rbowman91
09-18-13, 9:15 am
J-HO,

Doing my first meet next year, prob sometime in July/August 2014. In the meet, i plan to deadlift with a sumo stance, since my sumo numbers are always WAY higher than my conventional.

Currently i'm training conventional using 5/3/1, in order to bring it up and fix any imbalances.

My question: How long before the meet should I switch back to sumo, and start training with it again?

JHOORNSTRA
09-18-13, 1:34 pm
J-HO,

Doing my first meet next year, prob sometime in July/August 2014. In the meet, i plan to deadlift with a sumo stance, since my sumo numbers are always WAY higher than my conventional.

Currently i'm training conventional using 5/3/1, in order to bring it up and fix any imbalances.

My question: How long before the meet should I switch back to sumo, and start training with it again?

Ok, you have tons of time which is good. My opinion, sumo gives you higher numbers, training conventional gives you a stronger back. However, you don't want to become rusty on either. I've heard a few people incorporating both into workouts, like heavy sets going conv and then maybe a drop set with sumo. However, make conventional the majority of the training. Or, maybe once a month, maybe on a speed day or something throwing sumo in as well. However, at least 8-12 weeks out, depending on your comfort, make sure that it switches around and you get good reps in with the way you'll be lifting. That way, you have time to adjust for the difference, let your hamstrings adjust, etc. Make sense? If not hit me back up.

rbowman91
09-18-13, 3:08 pm
Ok, you have tons of time which is good. My opinion, sumo gives you higher numbers, training conventional gives you a stronger back. However, you don't want to become rusty on either. I've heard a few people incorporating both into workouts, like heavy sets going conv and then maybe a drop set with sumo. However, make conventional the majority of the training. Or, maybe once a month, maybe on a speed day or something throwing sumo in as well. However, at least 8-12 weeks out, depending on your comfort, make sure that it switches around and you get good reps in with the way you'll be lifting. That way, you have time to adjust for the difference, let your hamstrings adjust, etc. Make sense? If not hit me back up.

Hmm that does make sense. So stick to the conventional for now even though i'll pull sumo in a meet?

(i def see where you're coming from. I have been training conventional for a stronger back, because i noticed some weakness in my core when deadlifting).

Do you think training conventional for now will help my sumo when i switch back? I'm using the 5/3/1 programming, so it kinda forces you to really focus on one or the other as a main lift with progression.

rbowman91
09-18-13, 3:22 pm
clarification of my last question: will training conventional for a while increase my sumo numbers when i switch back? Or will I have to start the sumo right where i left off originally?

Universal Rep
09-18-13, 3:36 pm
Due to popularity and the ability for J-HO to reach out to the fans, hes started another Q/A thread over at BB.com to give back to the members there. Anyone interested, check it...

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=156928273

JHOORNSTRA
09-18-13, 11:02 pm
clarification of my last question: will training conventional for a while increase my sumo numbers when i switch back? Or will I have to start the sumo right where i left off originally?

No it will definitely carry over, deads and solid heavy squats too will boost the sumo numbers very high.

tonyjfreeman
12-22-13, 12:03 am
Hey Jeremy,

Hope all is going well. I was just wondering what it is like training with Josh Bryant? I was thinking about hiring him for online programming, although I am fairly novice. Is there anything you do when your motivation is low? I'm grinding through workouts, but the last couple weeks I haven't been feeling it. Merry Christmas/Happy Holidays.

JHOORNSTRA
12-22-13, 10:27 am
Hey Jeremy,

Hope all is going well. I was just wondering what it is like training with Josh Bryant? I was thinking about hiring him for online programming, although I am fairly novice. Is there anything you do when your motivation is low? I'm grinding through workouts, but the last couple weeks I haven't been feeling it. Merry Christmas/Happy Holidays.

He's awesome man, honestly. I get motivated just knowing he's going to critique what I do so I'm going in wanting to do my best anyway. You will have slumps from time to time, take a few days off and you will see your hunger for it increase big time. Definitely worth it though. Good luck and Merry Christmas right back atcha...

Universal Rep
01-29-14, 1:43 pm
www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTISvcYipDA

Deathride
01-29-14, 2:32 pm
Jeremy

First off, thanks for the benching inspiration - pushing myself towards the 315 barrier currently!

However, my ambition to hit 315 before my 30th bday has taken a hit - I was running the Cube Boss with the 'bodybuilding' day being a dead bench and extra bench accessory stuff (dips / overhead pressing). And all was going well.

I've managed to develop pain in my right shoulder right on the AC joint, right on the bony prominence - I think there must be some inflammation around that area. It is really sore when benching at the bottom so I've stopped for the moment - however, other upper body stuff (rows / shoulder raises in all directions / tricep extensions) feels OK. Overhead pressing to a certain extent actually feels not too bad!

Do you have any tips for recovery / rehab or advice to avoid this sort of thing in the future? I'm currently hitting up a squat based program and throwing in the upper stuff after the squats....

Many thanks!
Matt

HIGA MONSTER
01-29-14, 5:20 pm
I love how part of this video said, "515 lbs x 3 SPEED REPS"

WTF?? Crazy bro.

JHOORNSTRA
01-30-14, 5:08 pm
Jeremy

First off, thanks for the benching inspiration - pushing myself towards the 315 barrier currently!

However, my ambition to hit 315 before my 30th bday has taken a hit - I was running the Cube Boss with the 'bodybuilding' day being a dead bench and extra bench accessory stuff (dips / overhead pressing). And all was going well.

I've managed to develop pain in my right shoulder right on the AC joint, right on the bony prominence - I think there must be some inflammation around that area. It is really sore when benching at the bottom so I've stopped for the moment - however, other upper body stuff (rows / shoulder raises in all directions / tricep extensions) feels OK. Overhead pressing to a certain extent actually feels not too bad!

Do you have any tips for recovery / rehab or advice to avoid this sort of thing in the future? I'm currently hitting up a squat based program and throwing in the upper stuff after the squats....

Many thanks!
Matt

Thanks man, I appreciate it. As for your shoulder, it's hard to say. I will say that rest will usually cure all but it seems that no one has time for it. It sucks knowing that not only are you not getting stronger by taking time off, you're backtracking in a way and the frustration often times will overcome and workouts resume. However, I have been there and there are a few things that helped me.

I feel ya on the hurts the bottom part of bench but not so much on overhead, and what I did was really focus on around the worlds, (I'll explain if you don't know what they are or post a vid), ITY's, but mainly scalpula retractions and light weight high rep lateral dumbbell raises. These helped me a lot to recover honestly in a few weeks. Everyone is different and every injury is as well, but give this a shot and we can at least see where you are and then can go on from there. Process of elimination in a way...

If you think it's possibly a tendonitis, like it gets better through the workout, then warmup very long, ibuprofin before and see if you can get some celebrex which helps with that.

Good luck.

JHOORNSTRA
01-30-14, 5:09 pm
I love how part of this video said, "515 lbs x 3 SPEED REPS"

WTF?? Crazy bro.

haha, thanks man.

Deathride
01-31-14, 4:47 am
Thanks man, I appreciate it. As for your shoulder, it's hard to say. I will say that rest will usually cure all but it seems that no one has time for it. It sucks knowing that not only are you not getting stronger by taking time off, you're backtracking in a way and the frustration often times will overcome and workouts resume. However, I have been there and there are a few things that helped me.

I feel ya on the hurts the bottom part of bench but not so much on overhead, and what I did was really focus on around the worlds, (I'll explain if you don't know what they are or post a vid), ITY's, but mainly scalpula retractions and light weight high rep lateral dumbbell raises. These helped me a lot to recover honestly in a few weeks. Everyone is different and every injury is as well, but give this a shot and we can at least see where you are and then can go on from there. Process of elimination in a way...

If you think it's possibly a tendonitis, like it gets better through the workout, then warmup very long, ibuprofin before and see if you can get some celebrex which helps with that.

Good luck.

Cheers, Jeremy - thanks for the advice! When are you competing next and going for the 722 record?

It is frustrating as my bench was really hitting stride and progressing at a fair rate (for me!) - my 315 was in sight.....

The main area that hurts in the bony area like I say. The main MOVEMENT is moving my arm behind my back (to the small of my back) then lifting it off my back. This concerns me that the rotator cuff is involved but as I can do all other manner of shoulder movements and exercises without prob, I'm staying optimistic!

I'll start rocking the recommendations - i think I've benched a lot recently and neglected the shoulder work to stabilise things. Something to address!

JHOORNSTRA
01-31-14, 7:46 am
Cheers, Jeremy - thanks for the advice! When are you competing next and going for the 722 record?

It is frustrating as my bench was really hitting stride and progressing at a fair rate (for me!) - my 315 was in sight.....

The main area that hurts in the bony area like I say. The main MOVEMENT is moving my arm behind my back (to the small of my back) then lifting it off my back. This concerns me that the rotator cuff is involved but as I can do all other manner of shoulder movements and exercises without prob, I'm staying optimistic!

I'll start rocking the recommendations - i think I've benched a lot recently and neglected the shoulder work to stabilise things. Something to address!

Right on, good luck.

As for the 722, probably won't be ready at RUM so maybe a few months or so, going for 701 though...life got in the way and was distracted but it happens.

Universal Rep
04-23-14, 11:31 am
www.youtube.com/watch?v=3H2OZGVcCD4

JHOORNSTRA
04-24-14, 10:05 am
Thanks man

Universal Rep
05-20-14, 10:30 am
J-HO has got a new article about makin weight at a meet rite here...

http://animalpak.com/html/article_details.cfm?ID=680

JHOORNSTRA
05-21-14, 9:50 am
J-HO has got a new article about makin weight at a meet rite here...

http://animalpak.com/html/article_details.cfm?ID=680

with....an intense action shot...

Hunger for Glory
05-23-14, 8:57 am
Hello there! As we all know, you have a lot of experience both in bodybuilding and powerlifting, so I´m sure you can help me out. I recently started doing romanians DLs and it just feels weird.When i finish my lower back is in pain and i can´t low the barbell enough cause my elasticity is shitty.Besides, i do not feel the workout in my legs (and i must say that by that time of my training i´m pretty trashed). Any tips on this?

mustgetbig
05-24-14, 4:26 pm
I have a question about specific bench training ive already made a thread about it if you dont mind checking it out and offering any advice that you could. Thank you.
http://forum.animalpak.com/showthread.php?42660-bench-specialization

JHOORNSTRA
06-05-14, 11:39 am
Hello there! As we all know, you have a lot of experience both in bodybuilding and powerlifting, so I´m sure you can help me out. I recently started doing romanians DLs and it just feels weird.When i finish my lower back is in pain and i can´t low the barbell enough cause my elasticity is shitty.Besides, i do not feel the workout in my legs (and i must say that by that time of my training i´m pretty trashed). Any tips on this?

That'd be hard to say without seeing, it requres a lot more flexibility and elasticity on the legs and hams, but it will put a lot of stress on the lower back as it's required to stay flexed damn near the entire time. Usually you aren't really wanting to go all the way down, maybe a good mid point or just a few inches off the floor like a bentover row but it's main goal is leg elasticity and hip drive/kick in, at least my opinion and how they work for me. Hope this helps.

JHOORNSTRA
06-05-14, 11:39 am
I have a question about specific bench training ive already made a thread about it if you dont mind checking it out and offering any advice that you could. Thank you.
http://forum.animalpak.com/showthread.php?42660-bench-specialization

will do

anthony"lil guy" shelton
06-24-14, 3:11 pm

What is your current training regimen?

JHOORNSTRA
06-26-14, 10:07 am
What is your current training regimen?

As far as my split? I do a four day split, usually takes 6-7 days, heavy volume, heavy weight chest, then legs, then shoulders/tri/speed chest work, then back/traps. It's tapered off of most due to a show in two weeks but chest and shoulders are still up there. I have one more week of training and then the rest week...but then start back hard and heavy...

MonsterLeopard
07-15-14, 3:07 pm
Hey J,
Sunday was bench day for me. Everything went pretty smooth. I actually started focusing on practicing my leg drive and I did pretty well, if I must say so.
Worked up to the weight I had set out to hit. I unracked it, everything was fine. However, when I lowered it about 3/4 of the way down, I started getting some pain on my upper/outer forearms (brachioradialis area). The pain was unbearable and ended up collapsing the weight on my lower chest.
I went home and started looking into this pain and its connection to bench press.
Pretty much 50/50 on the answers online. Either tendinitis or forearm is weak.
So my question is, do you do, or recommend any sort of forearm (grip?) training for a heavier bench?
I've seen guys like yourself and GUNZ who are great benchers, have crazy big forearms. SO I'm wondering if this might be related?
Anyway, thanks for your input.

JHOORNSTRA
07-17-14, 10:55 am
Hey J,
Sunday was bench day for me. Everything went pretty smooth. I actually started focusing on practicing my leg drive and I did pretty well, if I must say so.
Worked up to the weight I had set out to hit. I unracked it, everything was fine. However, when I lowered it about 3/4 of the way down, I started getting some pain on my upper/outer forearms (brachioradialis area). The pain was unbearable and ended up collapsing the weight on my lower chest.
I went home and started looking into this pain and its connection to bench press.
Pretty much 50/50 on the answers online. Either tendinitis or forearm is weak.
So my question is, do you do, or recommend any sort of forearm (grip?) training for a heavier bench?
I've seen guys like yourself and GUNZ who are great benchers, have crazy big forearms. SO I'm wondering if this might be related?
Anyway, thanks for your input.

yeah I always have had strong forearms, the same thing, however, did happen to me which is why a few years ago I started with a quicker descent, the press was good but the negative killed me. It went away, I think I warmed up longer and took celebrex to help with ibuprofin but it could be either. I do forearm work from time to time after workouts, hammer curls, sweeps, reverse preacher curls, etc but nothing really too out of the norm...I have always made sure to squeeze the crap out of the bar when I bench so that helps a lot with that. Good luck, this shit sucks...

BrennANIMAL
07-19-14, 9:28 pm
Hey Jeremy,

I see you have posted your personal training split above as well as a wealth of other information on this thread. All good stuff. I'm hoping you can help me with something similar, yet slightly different...

I am a competitive powerlifter who is 2 months out from knee surgery. So needless to say, I will not be squatting or deadlifting for a few more months. My goals for these few months are to gain upper body mass, but most importantly, increase my bench (having my knee heal is actually the most important, but again I think that's a little obvious). As the strongest bencher I will most likely ever have the opportunity of communicating with, I was hoping you could provide me with a little insight as to how you would layout a training program solely dedicated to increasing ones bench with absolutely zero focus on squats, deadlifts or any other lower body lift. I am have been able to slowly add more leg drive, just not direct leg work yet.

I am a teacher and rehabbing my knee is my job for the summer and once school starts up, I work in the weightroom after school so training frequency/gym access is not an issue for me. In other words, I can bench 3 times a day, seven days a week if necessary! So my question to you, could you please give me some advice as to how you would layout a split dedicated solely to the purpose of increasing ones bench press with out any regard for lower body lifts?

Thanks man. I appreciate it.

James

skibasgym
08-02-14, 7:41 pm
Jeremy benched at my gym once for a photo shoot and he was simplyamazing...
Henri...

skibasgym
08-02-14, 7:43 pm
a combination of old and new training ideas..
He would be well worth looking at for a seminar...
Reallystrong....
skibs

JHOORNSTRA
08-16-14, 4:16 pm
Hey Jeremy,

I see you have posted your personal training split above as well as a wealth of other information on this thread. All good stuff. I'm hoping you can help me with somet thing similar, yet slightly different...

I am a competitive powerlifter who is 2 months out from knee surgery. So needless to say, I will not be squatting or deadlifting for a few more months. My goals for these few months are to gain upper body mass, but most importantly, increase my bench (having my knee heal is actually the most important, but again I think that's a little obvious). As the strongest bencher I will most likely ever have the opportunity of communicating with, I was hoping you could provide me with a little insight as to how you would layout a training program solely dedicated to increasing ones bench with absolutely zero focus on squats, deadlifts or any other lower body lift. I am have been able to slowly add more leg drive, just not direct leg work yet.

I am a teacher and rehabbing my knee is my job for the summer and once school starts up, I work in the weightroom after school so training frequency/gym access is not an issue for me. In other words, I can bench 3 times a day, seven days a week if necessary! So my question to you, could you please give me some advice as to how you would layout a split dedicated solely to the purpose of increasing ones bench press with out any regard for lower body lifts?

Thanks man. I appreciate it.

James

Man, well sucks about your knee, I'm sure it will be healed and hopefully back to normal soon. My opinion though on benching as well as the other power movements is that more isn't necessarily better. Hard to get into too much depth on here, better in person obviously but I see NJ so that's a hike...but I will say that an effective bench uses the most muscles possible, leg drive, lats, etc so you can improve the strength but I wouldn't do too much to alter form. Where are you now as far as training and we can see what we can do to get you where you want to be...

JHOORNSTRA
08-16-14, 4:17 pm
a combination of old and new training ideas..
He would be well worth looking at for a seminar...
Reallystrong....
skibs

Thanks man, was a pleasure lifting with and meeting you.

JHOORNSTRA
09-18-14, 9:52 pm
www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDZy9UM_wTc&list=UUpdqwOGsGSuI50cQ76kUEnA

A somewhat recent video of some training...another coming soon...

JHOORNSTRA
10-03-14, 11:11 am
www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwi5LQRAiYk&list=UUpdqwOGsGSuI50cQ76kUEnA

This was a little big ago, a new training cycle so the reps were increased and was working on speed, so they're not paused as time and speed were what I was worried about...

johnt
03-15-15, 12:32 pm
Hey Jeremy,

Long time lurker and a huge motivation for me.
I have 3 questions.

1. How does your grip on close grip bench and your regular bench differ?

2. How do you go about training your close grip bench vs. your regular bench? Is it 2 separate days?

3. What are your thoughts on benching with bands? Beneficial or gimmicky?

Thanks

xTheComebackKid
05-06-15, 6:12 pm
I watched a few videos of you benching in The Cage and it appears you lift your head when the bar is paused on your chest. Does this help your form? (I think you're a badass, by the way.)

JHOORNSTRA
10-06-15, 7:08 pm
I watched a few videos of you benching in The Cage and it appears you lift your head when the bar is paused on your chest. Does this help your form? (I think you're a badass, by the way.)

Dude I'm sorry it took so long, I have a few pages I haven't checked as I thought I was getting email notifications but wasn't. Yes I lift my head, I like it better, I feel like I control the bar better as it almost feels like a guess when it's coming down when I don't do that. If I don't reply on this thread and you write, hit up my other thread "J-Ho's travels" or something like that, I try to get on that every day or two.

JHOORNSTRA
10-06-15, 7:11 pm
Hey Jeremy,

Long time lurker and a huge motivation for me.
I have 3 questions.

1. How does your grip on close grip bench and your regular bench differ?

2. How do you go about training your close grip bench vs. your regular bench? Is it 2 separate days?

3. What are your thoughts on benching with bands? Beneficial or gimmicky?

Thanks

and sorry to you as well, I am supposed to get email notifications on this and usually check my other training section but I apologize.

anyways....

1. Regular I'm a thumb length from inner knurl line which is about an inch from the inside of the outer ring with my pinky...my closegrip bench I do middle finger on the inner knurl/smooth line.

2. It varies, sometimes I do it on seperate days, sometimes I do both, sometimes I do closegrip on both, depends on where I am in relation to competitions and how I am in my motion, like if speed is over dominating on the bottom but not the top, closegrip increases, etc.

3. Bands are good and a way of overloading but not that often as I think you can do it too much. I haven't done reverse or anything like that really but will do band work, usually with closegrip to make the top end that much harder. Another variety of it is closegrip band press with a 2 board as that takes away the speed of the easy part on the bottom and focuses on the hard part on top.

Hope this helps.

billwhominati
12-19-15, 6:06 am
Hi Jeremy,

I was wondering how your training looks in the week, or even month, leading up to a bench-only competition?

Thanks.

JHOORNSTRA
01-25-16, 9:48 pm
Hi Jeremy,

I was wondering how your training looks in the week, or even month, leading up to a bench-only competition?

Thanks.

Hey sorry man, I never got an email on this and I post most of my training on my other forum thread.

It changes drastically thoughout the training cycle but generally the reps are high, wt low, and as I approach it tapers down in reps, up in wt. leading up to 2 to 3 reps a few weeks out...few easy singles of about 85% just to get groove and then that's about it as far as wt. I do a 4 day split and always train for full power, just usually compete in bench but going full power unless knee needs surgery which I will know soon...had a bad squat day and hurt it pretty bad.

Josh951
02-10-16, 8:29 pm
J-HO,
I decided to floor press today, I've never done them before today. My elbows/triceps weren't touching the floor at the same time, my right arm would touch about an inch before my left arm. It reminded me of when I broke my arm as a kid and they couldn't reset it properly so my left forearm is about and inch shorter that my right forearm. My question is should I just not do floor presses and stick to something else? I like the exercise, it helps me think about driving my back into the floor instead of pushing the bar. But with my arms not touching at the same time and the bar being uneven when I begin to press it would it be smart to keep doing it?

JHOORNSTRA
02-12-16, 1:47 pm
If you're touching uneven from something like that, adjusting to it sounds like it would mess you up, so try deadpresses, same principle, need the explosive power off the bottom, yet adjusts for uneven elbows. Also can try 1 board presses or even do the floor presses with dumbbells

Josh951
02-13-16, 12:29 am
If you're touching uneven from something like that, adjusting to it sounds like it would mess you up, so try deadpresses, same principle, need the explosive power off the bottom, yet adjusts for uneven elbows. Also can try 1 board presses or even do the floor presses with dumbbells

Thank you for the info!

JHOORNSTRA
02-14-16, 8:27 pm
no problem man, good luck

Universal Rep
07-27-16, 1:05 pm
For those members at Bodybuilding.com, J-HO also keeps a Q/A thread here: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=156928273

J-HO is great about giving his time and his knowledge to other lifters. Also check out his latest Animal vid, "Big on the Basics" right here.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=XA8Gi0Z__2k

Tyler Roy
07-27-16, 1:24 pm
For those members at Bodybuilding.com, J-HO also keeps a Q/A thread here: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=156928273

J-HO is great about giving his time and his knowledge to other lifters. Also check out his latest Animal vid, "Big on the Basics" right here.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=XA8Gi0Z__2k

Saw this video and joined the forum right after. I know i'll be spending way too much time here! Can't wait to see Jeremy bench 700.

Tyler Roy
09-13-16, 1:49 pm
Jeremy,

Do you prefer strict program, or just programming, training over warming up and figuring out the workout as you go? For example do you know 8 weeks from now you have to do xxxlbs for 5 sets of 2 or do you just go in with an idea and roll with how you feel that day.

Thank you,
Tyler

JHOORNSTRA
10-20-16, 2:49 pm
I have the number in mind what I'll be doing 8 weeks from now but it's set per week really. However, how I feel trumps that as I'm big on listening to your body. If I feel great, I use that and push through, go heavier, etc. but safely. On the other hand, if I feel like crap, I pay attention to that...so it's set...but not in concrete really...