PDA

View Full Version : Bodybuilding or Powerlifting

DEADn
01-05-13, 5:26 pm
Which sport do most people on this board do? Bodybuilding style or powerlifting style?

I am switching over to powerlifting or at least powerbuilding in order to get my strength up higher than it is and then add in some higher volume on assistance exercises. So, I am doing the 5/3/1 method but I am also trying to get my form corrected as well so as to avoid injury and rise up in weight. I am wondering how many of us are using wrong form and don't realize it? Or don't care regardless of what side you are doing.

Rambo Moe
01-07-13, 8:37 am
Bodybuilding. Basically, 5-10 sets for compounds with a 8-15 rep range. 4 sets on accessories 12-20 reps.

deanna7272
01-07-13, 8:56 am
Have always trained "like" a bodybuilder (competing in figure along the way) because that's all I knew. Started adding the basic compound movements in (cautiously after 2 back surgeries) and wanting to change my physique. Well, I was doing those exercise with very light weight because I, like yourself, didn't know if my form was correct etc...

I went to the NJ ABC when they had it at Skiba's and Henri looked at my form, gave me tips/pointers to help either correct or change my form and it's been full steam ahead since then!! Henri gave me a program to start and I did that for a few weeks and then started a different program, partially incorporating my "old" bb ways so that I can increase my overall strength and power, but keep my head "in check" (being a 40 yr female, that has a tendency to store fat like a refrigerator)...

Whatever you want to call it... ^^^ that's what I am presently doing...lol

Bruiser
01-07-13, 9:06 am
Powerlifting. But I do a lot of high volume work too. A bigger muscle moves bigger weight. Plus it has helped strengthen my joints as well.

G Diesel
01-07-13, 9:25 am
Both. I lift weights in order to be bigger and stronger. I'd never want to be one without the other. I like rep ranges from 50 down to singles and everything in between.

I suppose the ultimate goal is to have a great physique and to be exceptionally strong at the same time. Though I have a long way to go, that is what I've always aspired toward.

I like powerlifting a lot, as long as it includes training all muscle groups and doesn't involve making the lifts easier through gear or making the ranges of motion shorter. In my opinion, those are concepts antithetical to the whole point of weightlifting.

Peace, G

Enforcer
01-07-13, 9:30 am
Both. I have stepped on the bodybuilding stage twice now and will two more time in 2013. Then i a few short weeks I will be joining the rest of the Animal Crew at a powerlifting meet on Jan. 26th. First one I will do since I was back in high school, 10 years ago.

naturalguy
01-07-13, 11:16 am
Both. Why not look strong and be strong????

Old saying from the first gym I trained at you don't want to be "big as a house, weak as a mouse"

What's great is that they both compliment each other well.

C.Coronato
01-07-13, 11:20 am
Both. I have done 13 BB shows and in a few weeks ill be getting back on the platform for my second PL meet. No problem with mixing them brotha.

Altered Beast
01-07-13, 11:30 am
Both sports utilize methods of both.

A bigger muscle is a stronger muscle and to get a muscle bigger it has to get stronger.

For example: The particular Powerlifting Program I use, utilizes more Rep and Volume Work than anything else. Sounds bizarre doesn't it?

You'll notice that all the top Powerlifters, Strongmen, Bodybuilders and Olympic Lifters are all massive and developed.

*What I'm trying to say to you is, if you want the whole package you've got to develop the whole package!

G Diesel
01-07-13, 11:32 am
Both. I have stepped on the bodybuilding stage twice now and will two more time in 2013. Then i a few short weeks I will be joining the rest of the Animal Crew at a powerlifting meet on Jan. 26th. First one I will do since I was back in high school, 10 years ago.

Both. Why not look strong and be strong????

Old saying from the first gym I trained at you don't want to be "big as a house, weak as a mouse"

What's great is that they both compliment each other well.

Both. I have done 13 BB shows and in a few weeks ill be getting back on the platform for my second PL meet. No problem with mixing them brotha.

Both sports utilize methods of both.

A bigger muscle is a stronger muscle and to get a muscle bigger it has to get stronger.

For example: The particular Powerlifting Program I use, utilizes more Rep and Volume Work than anything else. Sounds bizarre doesn't it?

You'll notice that all the top Powerlifters, Strongmen, Bodybuilders and Olympic Lifters are all massive and developed.

*What I'm trying to say to you is, if you want the whole package you've got to develop the whole package!

Great "advices" from all these fellas, who happen to all be big, strong dudes.

Peace, G

Altered Beast
01-07-13, 11:49 am
Great "advices" from all these fellas, who happen to all be big, strong dudes.

Peace, G

G! While we are on the subject and this may be a bit off topic, but will Animal ever design a seriously sweet Singlet???????? Those would sell like hotcakes!

Most Singlets out there look like shit!

Big Wides
01-07-13, 12:14 pm
I do both, have done it from the beginning of my training. To me the only difference is the diet that is followed to get ready for a competition. A bodybuilder will diet to get the bodyfat levels low to show of muscle definition and vasularity, while a Powerlifter will either diet up (eat more for a weight class) or drop water weight prior to weigh ins to meet a class then eat up prior to a comp.

I say go for both, the endurance from the bodybuilding training will carry over to the meet day and leave you in better conidition for the entire meet while the rest of your compeitiion isn't up to par

Universal Rep
01-07-13, 1:47 pm
G! While we are on the subject and this may be a bit off topic, but will Animal ever design a seriously sweet Singlet???????? Those would sell like hotcakes!

Most Singlets out there look like shit!

Point us in the right direction, AB...

Altered Beast
01-07-13, 2:22 pm
Point us in the right direction, AB...

OK! It would be solid Jet Black with a gold yellow liner around the silhouette. The new written out Animal logo would be on the chest also in gold yellow letter with the Iconic Animal "A" Logo on each outter quad area with a BIG Yellow Iconic A on the mid/upper back.

Something along those lines. It would really stand out and would look fucking awesome. You could even go just gold instead of yellowish and make it stand out a bit more.

Altered Beast
01-07-13, 2:36 pm
Something like this, but with the coloring and visuals I listed above:

http://www.flexcart.com/members/elitefts/default.asp?m=PD&pid=901

OF COURSE with our own style, but this pic is a good reference.

DEADn
01-09-13, 9:09 am
Powerlifting. But I do a lot of high volume work too. A bigger muscle moves bigger weight. Plus it has helped strengthen my joints as well.

I don't agree that a bigger muscle moves bigger weight. Hypertrophy leads to bigger muscles. Look at the major bodybuilders and look at the big time powerlifters. Top powerlifters can lift much more weight than top bodybuilders but who has the bigger muscles? Bodybuilders do because of hypertrophy. I have found in my own system that hypertrophy is not a means to the end. Meaning, with me, hypertrophy does to the muscle what air does to a balloon. It blows it up for a time but eventually all of the air wil come out unless air is constantly pushed into it. Otherwise it comes back to its natural state. In strength training/powerlifting I am finding the opposite. A person might lose some strength but at a slower pace but what mass a powerlifter has comes from alot of calories and what little hypertrophy they use for assistance on top of it. Alot of the bigger powerlifters simple like food so it contributes to their big bodies.

Moving heavy weight doesn't = mass. Hypertrophy = mass. If this were the case then how can a 150 guy moves 800lbs and be 150lbs? How about women who are 120lbs and can move 500lbs?

My intial reason for this thread is because I was pushing the bodybuilding routine and I noticed that even when taking a few weeks off my muscle mass deflated and when I went back to the weights it inflated showing me that I really had no substance in them. It is all about ego and 'the look' which is what bodybuilding is all about anyway. I have been sliding into the strenght training mode/powerlifting mode in order build a cornerstone of strength which doesn't pass away so easily and use that as the foundation for a little hypertrophy. Yet for me it seems hypertrophy is getting to be more smoke a mirrors in that it gives the impression that someone is stronger than what they really are. Does this make sense?

Lastly, my reason for lifting weights in the first place is because my frame is tall and skinny. I want to get stronger but also bigger in frame. I thought bodybuilding would help me and it did to an extent but I didn't find the strength as satisfying. Since going more towards a strength training regime I find my strength getting much better and more stable. There is some mass coming but initially it is from muscle memory of the past so I need to build from that but my cornerstone is strength training with assistance exercises with medium hypertrophy for mass meaning 8-10 reps and no more per set.

How does everyone feel about my thoughts here?

John

Bruiser
01-09-13, 9:14 am
I agree and disagree (imagine that, lol). I see your point about hypertrophy. There are a lot of "smaller" guys under 200# that lift a hell of a lot more than me. But for me I know as I add mass, I move more weight. Maybe it's as much a stabalizng effect, but still it does help. Like I said, this just me I'm talking about.

I do agree with the muscle "deflating" for sure! I spent 5 weeks in the hospital on IV fluids when I almost lost a battle with pancreatitis last year. I lost over 60-65# and when I got out, I looked like a deflated balloon. SEVERAL weeks later when I was healthy enough to train, I took my supps and by the time my warmup was done... I was swollen up like sonofabitch!

TheJuggernautBitch
02-21-13, 9:58 am
i'm all about powerlifting, but definitely see great benefits when doing bodybuilding accessory work.
also, an animal singlet would be an awesome idea.

Universal Rep
02-21-13, 10:00 am
Which sport do most people on this board do? Bodybuilding style or powerlifting style?

I am switching over to powerlifting or at least powerbuilding in order to get my strength up higher than it is and then add in some higher volume on assistance exercises. So, I am doing the 5/3/1 method but I am also trying to get my form corrected as well so as to avoid injury and rise up in weight. I am wondering how many of us are using wrong form and don't realize it? Or don't care regardless of what side you are doing.

Originally, think mostly BBing. But lately, a turn more towards PLing... But a particular kinda PL if ya ask me.

TheJuggernautBitch
02-21-13, 10:04 am
Originally, think mostly BBing. But lately, a turn more towards PLing... But a particular kinda PL if ya ask me.

what do you mean by a particular kinda pl? haha

tomysaw
02-21-13, 10:07 am
I'm a powerlifter, no doubt behind that statement. However, I have been considering looking into bodybuilding a little bit more. Just to make things interesting.

Ragin Asian
02-21-13, 10:39 am
Powerlifting here, obviously. But we do train bodybuilding style for accessory work - nothing wrong with doing both.

JHOORNSTRA
02-21-13, 9:09 pm
I mainly just do crossfit and teach pilates and zumba...

However, on the bigger muscle moves bigger weights....very "case by case" statement which in all of my experiences scientifically makes that invalid. To say, for example, me...I'm bigger than everyone in my gym. Ok, so I'm stronger. Correct. However, I'm not bigger than some of the top bodybuilders. Am I stronger, yes. Strongmen, way bigger and more towards the powerlifter's physique, frame, bodyfat, etc. Am I bigger, usually not. Stronger, on some, pressing events, usually all the time. So, it's hard to say that in all cases, sizes equals strength. Bodybuilders train for size, powerlifters train for strength, there is carryover in each of the aspects of the training that will aid towards the opposite but not as much to compete with. I'm not going on stage at the arnold and flexing...etc. My two cents...

JHO

Petri
02-22-13, 8:36 am
I really don't know yet. I do BB type stuff but will throw a farmers walk etc., in the mix. So little bit of everything.

Regarding the "strong" discussion. As I am in the beginning stages, I get stronger by just training. So where does the line, or definition start where you are defined as "strong" or as a "bodybuilder". For me, someone squatting 150kg is strong. Or leg pressing 300kg. For some it is warmup stuff. But if I could do that, I would feel strong.

Is strong to you (anyone) defined by comparison to others, or feeling good about the lift? Because if you do a +5kg PR in the bench, you are stronger. And you feel stronger.

Deathride
02-24-13, 3:39 pm
Powerlifter. But what's wrong with wanting to LOOK like you lift weight?

Whilst I'll probably never get on a bodybuilding platform in my budgie smugglers and strut my tan, high rep sets and the like all build towards the goal!