PDA

View Full Version : Migraines.

rainman
01-20-13, 12:39 pm
Ever since I was a kid I have suffered from migraines. When I get one I am dead to the world and they usually write me off for the day, occasionally for longer. The reason I am posting this in the Diet section is that they seem to be triggered from something I'm eating. Since getting my diet in check through bodybuilding I haven't had that many. One of the joys of a relatively bland diet I suppose! When one does come along, it is mostly after eating something out of the ordinary, usually something with a high salt/ saturated fat content and mass produced. These steak burgers from the supermarket triggered one recently, with a pack of sandwiches from a nationwide chain causing another migraine a few months ago.

Just wondering if anyone else gets them and if so, have you narrowed it down to what triggers them? Thanks.

iamthemacattack
01-21-13, 5:53 am
Ever since I was a kid I have suffered from migraines. When I get one I am dead to the world and they usually write me off for the day, occasionally for longer. The reason I am posting this in the Diet section is that they seem to be triggered from something I'm eating. Since getting my diet in check through bodybuilding I haven't had that many. One of the joys of a relatively bland diet I suppose! When one does come along, it is mostly after eating something out of the ordinary, usually something with a high salt/ saturated fat content and mass produced. These steak burgers from the supermarket triggered one recently, with a pack of sandwiches from a nationwide chain causing another migraine a few months ago.

Just wondering if anyone else gets them and if so, have you narrowed it down to what triggers them? Thanks.

Hi Rainman,

I can't say I really suffer from migraines, however one of my good friends does, he used to swear that it was they whey protein he was using at the time and after changing brands the migraines did ease up - but they didn't' stop.
I have only ever had one experience of a migraine and that was after eating rubbish food from a buffet at work, pastry high carbs and sugars etc. I think that different people are affected by different things and maybe have different triggers, perhaps it may be of use to keep a food diary - it will help to identify any foods which trigger migraines and may also help your training!

Hope this helps!

Ian

EgyptianBeast
01-25-13, 3:49 am
Hi Rainman,

I can't say I really suffer from migraines, however one of my good friends does, he used to swear that it was they whey protein he was using at the time and after changing brands the migraines did ease up - but they didn't' stop.
I have only ever had one experience of a migraine and that was after eating rubbish food from a buffet at work, pastry high carbs and sugars etc. I think that different people are affected by different things and maybe have different triggers, perhaps it may be of use to keep a food diary - it will help to identify any foods which trigger migraines and may also help your training!

Hope this helps!

Ian

this is a good point. I would want to ask is are you eating cheese as well? cuz certain cheeses can trigger migraines as well

N. Motta
01-25-13, 6:19 am
My wife suffers from them. For her, we figured out the one clear trigger, is chocolate.

EgyptianBeast
01-25-13, 8:12 am
My wife suffers from them. For her, we figured out the one clear trigger, is chocolate.

take a look at this link
http://home.caregroup.org/clinical/altmed/interactions/Nutrients/Tyramine-Contai.htm

maybe its the tyramine in the foods you eat are causing this

John B
01-25-13, 12:57 pm
I get them from time to time and in Ayurveda, they are perceived as a heat or "Pitta" disorder. I would recommend emphasizing sweet, bitter, and astringent tastes in your cooked foods as these are balancing for heat disorders. Winter greens are good, and red meat as well as pork are heating in nature so emphasize chicken, turkey, and fish to see if that helps. Lower your caffeine intake (if you have one) and lay off of pre-workout supps. for a while. Fermented foods and beverages are also a no-no as they are heat inducing in nature. Obviously, watch your hot spices. If your budget allows, try to eat organic to the extent possible thereby eliminating chemical additives. Your food doesn't have to be bland, just need to change up the tastes and qualities of the food. Also agree with the food log, to give you a "feel" for the way you "feel" after eating different foods. Good luck in whatever you choose to try.

rainman
01-25-13, 1:51 pm
Thanks for the replies folks. There have been some interesting suggestions posted. The funny thing is that foods like cheese and chocolate don't really affect me, but rather a combination of salt and saturated fats in, mostly, processed foods. I don't know how that omits cheese from my trigger foods though. I think a chemical additive may be the trigger, as suggested, but have never narrowed it down, despite saving the labels of foods which have led to a migraine. The mian thing they have n common is the sat fat/salt link.

My Mum has always rolled her eyes at my diet, (I turned up at my Parent's house yesterday with a chicken, rice and broccoli filled tupperware box), but remembers what I have been like in the past with my headaches.

iamthemacattack
01-28-13, 2:56 am

I often get really bad headaches... not sure if they are migraines.. but they all have one clear trigger...

My Missus! Haha.

androidhinter
02-13-13, 5:48 pm
I also get migraines. I know how you feel. It can completely destroy an entire day's schedule. I discovered that mine are triggered by onions sometimes.

Mattman33
02-13-13, 7:06 pm
Thanks for the replies folks. There have been some interesting suggestions posted. The funny thing is that foods like cheese and chocolate don't really affect me, but rather a combination of salt and saturated fats in, mostly, processed foods. I don't know how that omits cheese from my trigger foods though. I think a chemical additive may be the trigger, as suggested, but have never narrowed it down, despite saving the labels of foods which have led to a migraine. The mian thing they have n common is the sat fat/salt link.

My Mum has always rolled her eyes at my diet, (I turned up at my Parent's house yesterday with a chicken, rice and broccoli filled tupperware box), but remembers what I have been like in the past with my headaches.

i have them bad, but figured out early the trigger was MSG. It is in a ton of food and took me awhile to figure out a work around.