PDA

View Full Version : Relentless: A HopeKids Event March 23rd

Freakshowelite
01-21-13, 9:26 pm
Relentless is a charity event in the form of a powerlifting meet. The meet originated 3 years ago as a fundraiser for a local pastor Garth Heckman. Garth was fight a losing battle with lung cancer. Every penny from the meet is donated. A year later Garth returned cancer free and competed in the meet. That meet was the start of a relationship with the Charity HopeKids. HopeKids is a lot like Make a Wish in that they work with terminally ill children or children facing life threatening illnesses. In the first two years of Relentless almost 40,000 dollars was raised between just 2 meets. Before every Relentless meet, which is in March, we have a Relentless kick off event. This is a day of entertainment for the families of HopeKids. For just a couple hours the families and children can forget about chemo, forget about pain, and forget about bills. A display of physical strength is put on by the strongest people in the nation. There is everything from strongman, to powerlifting, to brick breaking, to phone book tearing. This year our kick off event had a great addition to it. There are about 20 of us lifters that make up team hope. As members of team hope our entries fees for the meet are waived. In place of an entry fee we are committed, by contract, to raise no less than 500$ by the time the meet comes around in March. We are each paired with a particular HopeKids family to represent. This year at the kick off the team hope members got to finally meet in person the families they had been in contact with for the past month. The day was filled with feats of strength, joy, tears, laughter, and most importantly HOPE! The next two months will be spent both training, and raising money for HopeKids. Each one of the Team Hope Members have a first giving page. This website is where people can make donations. Please follow along, and give if you can, even if its a dollar, trust me it adds up. Here are some videos and pictures from the weekend, and years past. Got Hope?

http://youtu.be/RizwI0ZY_sg

Freakshowelite
01-21-13, 9:27 pm
http://youtu.be/vpA0phjERrY

World Eater
01-22-13, 2:28 pm
The first vid is blocked in my country apparently "due to EMI copyright restrictions", the fuck. Was able to watch the second one though and watched the 2012 video on Youtube. Awesome.

I wanted to donate $10 but doing so requires a credit card, which I don't have. If anyone's willing to donate in my name I'd be happy to Paypal you the money. Anything for a good cause!

Freakshowelite
01-22-13, 10:07 pm
The first vid is blocked in my country apparently "due to EMI copyright restrictions", the fuck. Was able to watch the second one though and watched the 2012 video on Youtube. Awesome.

I wanted to donate $10 but doing so requires a credit card, which I don't have. If anyone's willing to donate in my name I'd be happy to Paypal you the money. Anything for a good cause!

thank you so much, I will figure out how to use a pay pal

GUNS
01-22-13, 10:41 pm
Marshall, this is such a great event, great job being involved in this!

Firefist
01-22-13, 11:46 pm
What an absolutely great event. As soon as the paycheck comes in, I'll be sure to make a donation.

Watching you give high fives to the kids.... In the end, this is what its all about. Always have respected your presence and your attitude, and this just further shows what a standup guy you are. Cant wait to meet you in the cage man.

Firefist
01-22-13, 11:56 pm

I just donated with paypal my good brotha, theres a little yellow paypal link on the right side of the "donate now" page.

World Eater
01-23-13, 1:21 am
I just donated with paypal my good brotha, theres a little yellow paypal link on the right side of the "donate now" page.
Oh right, that doesn't show on my phone. I'll check it out when I get home then. Cheers!

Freakshowelite
01-23-13, 9:53 am
Marshall, this is such a great event, great job being involved in this!

thank you, would good is having power if you dont use it to benefit those who dont

Freakshowelite
01-23-13, 9:54 am
What an absolutely great event. As soon as the paycheck comes in, I'll be sure to make a donation.

Watching you give high fives to the kids.... In the end, this is what its all about. Always have respected your presence and your attitude, and this just further shows what a standup guy you are. Cant wait to meet you in the cage man.

thank you, each one of those kids is 10x stronger than i am. i aspire tobe as strong as them

Freakshowelite
01-23-13, 9:55 am

thank you so so much!!!!!

World Eater
01-23-13, 11:53 am
Could you post a link or something? I don't even see the "donate now" thing, if I click "Donate" I get a form to fill out etc...

naturalguy
01-23-13, 12:49 pm
Awesome work Freakshow. That vid gave me chills

Firefist
01-23-13, 1:09 pm
Could you post a link or something? I don't even see the "donate now" thing, if I click "Donate" I get a form to fill out etc...

Ill try to screenshot it, but heres the directions I can give ya. When you get to that fillout form, theres a little beige bar on top of the fillout form with these words:

"Make a tax-deductible gift to HopeKids using a credit or debit card! Its easy, secure, and takes only a minute. We accept Visa, Mastercard, Discover, and American Express. Simply complete the form below and we'll take care of the rest. Or click the PayPal logo to donate by PayPal."

Directly right below this and all the way to right, youll find this button im taking about.

World Eater
01-23-13, 1:43 pm
Ill try to screenshot it, but heres the directions I can give ya. When you get to that fillout form, theres a little beige bar on top of the fillout form with these words:

"Make a tax-deductible gift to HopeKids using a credit or debit card! Its easy, secure, and takes only a minute. We accept Visa, Mastercard, Discover, and American Express. Simply complete the form below and we'll take care of the rest. Or click the PayPal logo to donate by PayPal."

Directly right below this and all the way to right, youll find this button im taking about.
Ohh I see now, you're going through the HopeKids website - I was trying to find a PayPal button on the FirstGiving page, haha. http://www.firstgiving.com/fundraiser/MarshallJohnson/relentless2013
Thanks though, I've used a buddies credit card and just donated $10.

Firefist
01-23-13, 2:11 pm
Ohh I see now, you're going through the HopeKids website - I was trying to find a PayPal button on the FirstGiving page, haha. http://www.firstgiving.com/fundraiser/MarshallJohnson/relentless2013
Thanks though, I've used a buddies credit card and just donated $10.

Ahh i see what ya did. Good stuff.

Dman
01-23-13, 4:45 pm
This is an Awesome cause I love it i'l see to donating to this always wanted to be a part of something like this power to you Marshall!!

Freakshowelite
01-23-13, 9:24 pm
http://youtu.be/kyAT-DyVg_Q

Freakshowelite
01-23-13, 9:26 pm
Awesome work Freakshow. That vid gave me chills

thank you so much!

Freakshowelite
01-23-13, 9:27 pm
Ahh i see what ya did. Good stuff.

thank you so much you two for going through extra lengths to find donation page, I honestly cannot thank you enough

Freakshowelite
01-23-13, 9:28 pm
This is an Awesome cause I love it i'l see to donating to this always wanted to be a part of something like this power to you Marshall!!

thank you so so much for your generous donation! I cannot begin to express my gratitude

Freakshowelite
01-23-13, 9:29 pm
http://www.firstgiving.com/fundraiser/MarshallJohnson/relentless2013

Dman
02-11-13, 3:28 am
thank you so so much for your generous donation! I cannot begin to express my gratitude

You are Welcome Marshall!! It looks like you hit a litttle over the goal mark thats Awesome!!!

World Eater
02-11-13, 3:26 pm
$1605 so far, exceeded your $1500 goal. Awesome news!

Freakshowelite
02-14-13, 2:26 pm
$1605 so far, exceeded your $1500 goal. Awesome news!

Yeeeeeeah booyeeee! I am up to 1800 and change now! The whole event is up over 40k right now, and we still have a month left before the meet. Thank you so much for your support! I cant thank you enough

World Eater
03-09-13, 10:52 am
Yeeeeeeah booyeeee! I am up to 1800 and change now! The whole event is up over 40k right now, and we still have a month left before the meet. Thank you so much for your support! I cant thank you enough
2 weeks left and you're at over 2 grand. Great job, Marshall.

Freakshowelite
03-10-13, 7:28 pm
2 weeks left and you're at over 2 grand. Great job, Marshall.

holy shit! your following the progress of relentless, thats soo cool! thank you so much. I cant believe I made that much. Thank you for the support!

smoothballer
03-10-13, 8:30 pm

That is so damn awesome!

Freakshowelite
03-11-13, 1:28 pm
That is so damn awesome!

only two more weeks!

World Eater
03-11-13, 4:11 pm
holy shit! your following the progress of relentless, thats soo cool! thank you so much. I cant believe I made that much. Thank you for the support!
Gotta do something when you're 4000 miles away and can't just hop in the car to visit, haha. If the rest of the lifters are gathering as much money as you are the total amount raised is going to be HUGE!

Freakshowelite
03-12-13, 1:18 pm
Gotta do something when you're 4000 miles away and can't just hop in the car to visit, haha. If the rest of the lifters are gathering as much money as you are the total amount raised is going to be HUGE!

Rob Luyando has raised over 10,000 just on his own! As a whole we are over 60k so far.

Freakshowelite
03-14-13, 2:20 pm
http://youtu.be/U9RRUr-vuZ0

http://www.firstgiving.com/fundraiser/MarshallJohnson/relentless2013

Phil800101
03-14-13, 2:34 pm
Rob Luyando has raised over 10,000 just on his own! As a whole we are over 60k so far.

Close to $75,000 now, no doubt that number will be surpassed soon.

Freakshowelite
03-18-13, 1:19 pm
"What we face may look insurmountable. But I learned something from all those years of training and competing. I learned something from all those sets and reps when I didn't think I could lift another ounce of weight. What I learned is that we are always stronger than we know."

Read more at Suite101: Best Arnold Schwarzenegger Quotes | Suite101 http://suite101.com/article/best-arnold-schwarzenegger-quotes-a57166#ixzz2Nucuxeon
Follow us: @suite101 on Twitter | Suite101 on Facebook

Freakshowelite
03-18-13, 1:23 pm
Close to $75,000 now, no doubt that number will be surpassed soon.

I know right, we need 84k to beat hopekids best raise ever!

naturalguy
03-18-13, 1:56 pm
This is such a good cause, I hope more people donate

GUNS
03-18-13, 2:21 pm
Best of luck to you and all the lifters this weekend! Get it done for the kids!

Freakshowelite
03-20-13, 3:02 pm
Best of luck to you and all the lifters this weekend! Get it done for the kids!

thank you! hopefully we can beat that 84k mark

Freakshowelite
03-20-13, 3:03 pm
This is such a good cause, I hope more people donate

i agree! the response from people has been amazing

Phil800101
03-21-13, 3:37 pm
I know right, we need 84k to beat hopekids best raise ever!

thank you! hopefully we can beat that 84k mark

Less than $700 away...time for some facebook spamming...

Phil800101
03-23-13, 12:42 am
Damn...looks like $90,000 is within reach! Very cool.

Good luck to everyone who's lifting tomorrow...BRING IT!!!

World Eater
03-23-13, 12:01 pm
Damn...looks like $90,000 is within reach! Very cool.

Good luck to everyone who's lifting tomorrow...BRING IT!!!
$89,853 Raised so far.... Fucking awesome. Marshall & all the others, way to go man.

Freakshowelite
03-26-13, 1:49 pm
over 110k raised. Thank you so much to everyone who helped

freighttraindane
03-27-13, 11:54 am
http://youtu.be/T04kFjthUCU

Freakshowelite
03-28-13, 2:36 pm
http://youtu.be/T04kFjthUCU

thanks for posting dane

Freakshowelite
03-28-13, 3:05 pm
Squats:

For the first time in a long time I was pain free and felt strong at the same time. The two weeks I took off before the meet definitely helped me come in fresh. Every rep in warm up was explosive and strong. I ended with an 875 in the warm up room. Boom! smokeshow. I was confident for the first time ever.

1st attempt: 950
-Absolutely destroyed, best 950 has ever felt in my life

2nd attempt: 1024
-Fired out of the hole but my chest didn't come up as fast. Half way up I corrected it and finished it easy.

3rd attempt: 1074(pr)
-First time ever I was confident I would smoke a lift. Got to the hole and blamo, massive cramp in both quads. I was so pissed cuz my squats have never felt that good on the platform. Lesson learned, I will do even more in the future to make sure I don't cramp on meet day.

Gear: Metal Jack pro squatter, Metal ace pro briefs, EFS Krait wraps, EFS P2 Belt

Bench:

Bench I was scared, training sucked, in the shirt it sucked even worse. I opened up really low and that was a mistake.

1st attempt: 585
-To light to touch, ended up dumping it on my stomach. First time I have ever done that.

2nd attempt: 620ish
-At this point I was extremely pissed and motivated to get that bench. The extra weight kept me in the right grove, touched and pressed. Easy

3rd attempt: 677ish
-Confidence was high, I took it to where it needed to go and hit it! I was good for a pr that day but I messed it up and opened to low. Wasted an attempt. Lesson learned

Gear: Metal Jack Pro Bencher, EFS Krait wraps

Deathlifts:

1st attempt: 705ish
-Confidence and intensity was super high, I was looking forward to pulling the whole meet. Got excited and just muscled it up, shitty form

2nd attempt: 765ish
-channeled the anger a little more, good form, smoked it, easier than the 705

3rd attempt: 820ish(pr)
-I felt ready to nail it, strong and confident. Missed it half way up though. I dont have an explanation for it. 765 was so easy I was sure I had the PR. Chalk it up to being the end of an 11hr day I suppose

Gear: Metal pro squatter, P2 belt

I didn't PR but I am ok with that. The bigger picture was putting on a show for the kids and families. We all did just that. Plus this was the first time I squatted pain free and completely confident and strong. I have Tom Kemper at Natural Health Chiropractic to thank for that. A combination of FAKTR(like graston), and some well placed rock tape on my back brought my squat back from the dead. I am so happy that I added speed work to this training cycle. I have never done it before. All three of my lifts were explosive and strong, thats never happened to me before.

Plans:
-Compete in Bill Carpenters UPA meet in IA in July. Bill puts on amazing meets and the competitors that come are just as awesome.
-I will be doing my raw training without a belt for this meet, try to train beltless as much as I can. It will make me strong(er), so I must do it. I will also need to find a way to combine my style of training with speed work as well.
-I am also excited to announce that we will be moving all of our equipt into a bigger better gym. Dakota Barbell is my home now and I know we are gonna kill some weight this year!

GUNS
03-28-13, 3:35 pm
Congrats on a great meet! I watched alot of it!

Just want to say you guys all put on one hell of a meet and a huge success for the kids! You guys destroyed the fund raising mark! Big CONGRATs Marshall!

Phil800101
03-28-13, 5:40 pm
Congrats!

Freakshowelite
03-29-13, 2:07 pm
Congrats on a great meet! I watched alot of it!

Just want to say you guys all put on one hell of a meet and a huge success for the kids! You guys destroyed the fund raising mark! Big CONGRATs Marshall!

Thanks buddy, it couldnt have gone better for what we were trying to accomplish. On to the next one, Relentless Detroit in November!

Freakshowelite
03-29-13, 2:08 pm
Congrats!

thank you thank you thank you!

Freakshowelite
03-29-13, 2:13 pm
I want to thank everyone in the Animal Family that showed support, followed the meet, and donated to my firstgiving page. No matter if you donated 5 dollars or 100 you still played a part in raising 110k for some very sick kids needing hope. Thank you from the bottom of my heart

Freakshowelite
03-29-13, 2:15 pm
Squats:

For the first time in a long time I was pain free and felt strong at the same time. The two weeks I took off before the meet definitely helped me come in fresh. Every rep in warm up was explosive and strong. I ended with an 875 in the warm up room. Boom! smokeshow. I was confident for the first time ever.

1st attempt: 950
-Absolutely destroyed, best 950 has ever felt in my life

2nd attempt: 1024
-Fired out of the hole but my chest didn't come up as fast. Half way up I corrected it and finished it easy.

3rd attempt: 1074(pr)
-First time ever I was confident I would smoke a lift. Got to the hole and blamo, massive cramp in both quads. I was so pissed cuz my squats have never felt that good on the platform. Lesson learned, I will do even more in the future to make sure I don't cramp on meet day.

Gear: Metal Jack pro squatter, Metal ace pro briefs, EFS Krait wraps, EFS P2 Belt

Bench:

Bench I was scared, training sucked, in the shirt it sucked even worse. I opened up really low and that was a mistake.

1st attempt: 585
-To light to touch, ended up dumping it on my stomach. First time I have ever done that.

2nd attempt: 620ish
-At this point I was extremely pissed and motivated to get that bench. The extra weight kept me in the right grove, touched and pressed. Easy

3rd attempt: 677ish
-Confidence was high, I took it to where it needed to go and hit it! I was good for a pr that day but I messed it up and opened to low. Wasted an attempt. Lesson learned

Gear: Metal Jack Pro Bencher, EFS Krait wraps

Deathlifts:

1st attempt: 705ish
-Confidence and intensity was super high, I was looking forward to pulling the whole meet. Got excited and just muscled it up, shitty form

2nd attempt: 765ish
-channeled the anger a little more, good form, smoked it, easier than the 705

3rd attempt: 820ish(pr)
-I felt ready to nail it, strong and confident. Missed it half way up though. I dont have an explanation for it. 765 was so easy I was sure I had the PR. Chalk it up to being the end of an 11hr day I suppose

Gear: Metal pro squatter, P2 belt

I didn't PR but I am ok with that. The bigger picture was putting on a show for the kids and families. We all did just that. Plus this was the first time I squatted pain free and completely confident and strong. I have Tom Kemper at Natural Health Chiropractic to thank for that. A combination of FAKTR(like graston), and some well placed rock tape on my back brought my squat back from the dead. I am so happy that I added speed work to this training cycle. I have never done it before. All three of my lifts were explosive and strong, thats never happened to me before.

Plans:
-Compete in Bill Carpenters UPA meet in IA in July. Bill puts on amazing meets and the competitors that come are just as awesome.
-I will be doing my raw training without a belt for this meet, try to train beltless as much as I can. It will make me strong(er), so I must do it. I will also need to find a way to combine my style of training with speed work as well.
-I am also excited to announce that we will be moving all of our equipt into a bigger better gym. Dakota Barbell is my home now and I know we are gonna kill some weight this year!

http://youtu.be/4EF60XuGd8M

skibasgym
03-30-13, 5:33 pm
What a great meet and accomplishment! Awesome.

Freakshowelite
04-01-13, 2:37 pm
What a great meet and accomplishment! Awesome.

thank you!, I really appreciate that

MR. C
07-09-14, 9:25 pm
When will there be another meet for Hope Kids?