PDA

View Full Version : Phil's Cage/Arnold Expo Survival Guide

Phil800101
01-23-13, 5:04 pm
This is just a re-post of what I've put up the past two years, with some slight edits and additions. Whether you're new to The Cage or The Expo or a veteran, I hope you can find something useful in here. 2013 will mark my seventh consecutive year visiting The Cage, and I know back in 2007 I wasn't prepared in the least for what I was getting into.

1.Buy your expo tickets online.

It's generally cheaper and it can save you time. On Ticketmaster with fees a 3-pack of Expo tickets is $33.00, while according to the Arnold website wristbands will be $15.00 at the door. When you get there you just exchange your ticket for a wristband, takes about 10 seconds.

They do sell wristbands directly at the doors, which is better than the old system where you had to get your tickets and then exchange them for a wristband. You never know what the lines might be like though, so personally I prefer to have my tickets in hand ahead of time just in case.

Here's what Dee had to add last year:

One other thing that I have noticed when first coming into the venue...

When you use the main entrance of the venue, you will see a banding station with a line that sometimes seems a mile long. This past year, they seemed to have a better system for getting the bands on, but IF you happen to come in a different entrance, or get off of an elevator and see a table where they are banding, jump on it!! It will save you some time...

Just past the top of the South stairs/escalators, where the tunnel connects the Hyatt to the Expo Center (right next to the doors where the shuttle buses pick up/drop off) there is a banding station set up for both sales and ticket exchange that you can usually get through really quickly.

2. Bring in food and water.

The expo center is hot and crowded, and you will get thirsty. Getting to a fountain or a concession stand can quite honestly be an ordeal, and while there normally is a water cooler in The Box, we're usually burning through almost as fast as I can slam a ten sack of sliders...and that is fast. I recommend a gallon water jug with a handle. They're cheap (usually around a buck at the store), and you can refill it or just chuck it when it's empty.

Food at the expo center can be pricey. And again, the lines can get long and just getting somewhere can take quite some time with the crowds. And year after year it seems like the samples are getting fewer and smaller, so don't necessarily count on sustaining yourself on free stuff. On the plus side, you can bring in bags. Nothing beats a good old anabolic sandwich. Doesn't need refrigeration and it hits the spot.

Here's what my man rev8ball had to add on the subject:

And if you don't bring your own food, go outside the convention center to one of the local eateries; prices are alot better, and so is the food.

This is definitely true.

If you do grab some samples, remember to practice moderation and be wary of what you might be mixing. Many of the booths will have little sample cups of stuff they're handing out, and several different blends/formulas of different protein shakes/drinks and what not sloshing around in your gut can lead to an upset stomach or worse.

Flash419 had this important tip to add:

Just my addition.... as you walk around lots of vendors will offer you little shots of their energy / diet drinks.. DO NOT sample every one. After an hour or two you will be wired up tight for the rest of the day.. and if your sensitive to stims. It will not be a comfortable afternoon. Take in moderation.

That's the truth right there.

3. Bring in a backpack.

Like I said, one of the great things about the expo is that you can bring in bags. It's a lot easier to carry all the cool Animal swag you pick up on your back then it is in a shopping bag, especially when it comes to navigating through the shoulder-to-shoulder crowds. Plus, you can use this to carry your food and what not. And finally, it will give you that little extra space so you won't have some dude breathing on the back of your neck.

As for free bags, some of the booths hand out huge-ass bags that are great for carrying samples and what have you, and these come in handy. Some of them are pretty thick, so they hold up well. They can get heavy though, and it's a bitch to be weaving around people with one. So I usually just keep the samples in there and put the bigger stuff (shirts, etc) in my backpack.

4. Wear comfortable shoes.

You'll be standing and walking a lot. Duh.

5. Be ready for the crowds.

If you've never been, then you probably have no idea. Over 100,000 people come to the Expo, and I am not exaggerating when I say that it is literally a sea of people walking shoulder to shoulder. If there is something you want to see besides The Cage, go as early as possible. If you can make it on Friday, even better. The place fills up FAST and moving around gets to be a huge pain-in-the-ass, even on Friday. And popular stuff will sell out fast.

Hit up The Cage first thing, as the limited edition stuff goes quick. Hell, even the non limited-edition stuff moves like hotcakes. The Cage is the place to be, Animal is the shit, and everybody knows this.

Here's a gem that rev8ball offered when it comes to this subject:

Lots and lots of PATIENCE!

Couldn't have said it better myself.

6. The bathrooms.

They fucking smell.

Like I said, the Expo is one crowded place. And the bathrooms get pretty ripe. The staff bust their asses to do the best they can, but it is a Sisyphean endeavor to keep them clean. Plain and simple, they aren't. If you're a dude and you just have to take a quick piss, then it's not too bad. If you're going to drop a deuce, then my advice is to seek out one of the restrooms further away from the main hall. I myself have taken many an escalator ride to one of the upper floors to find a suitable throne.

As for the ladies, I have never been in those facilities, so I have no fucking idea what you may or may not be getting into. My sister-in-iron deanna7272 gave me a hand with this one:

For the girls.... the bathrooms aren't that smelly, they are just crowded and it is at times difficult to get to a sink due to make up and hair touch ups....lol. Bring sanitizer!!

And there you have it.

7. Bring cash.

Most, if not all booths are cash only. There are ATMs, and if I recall correctly one bank has a booth where they have several set up. However, there are of course the dreaded ATM fees, not to mention potential lines, and as I already mentioned fighting the crowd in general. I have also seen several ATMs there run out of money, I shit you not. Save yourself the trouble and come with the greenbacks firmly in hand.

8. Always have a camera and a pen/sharpie with you.

You never know who you're going to run into or where. Besides the various people who are at booths, there are many other powerlifters, bodybuilders, athletes, and whatnot wandering around at any given time. Two years ago a bunch of us ran into Ed Coan while walking around, and luckily we had a camera.

My man D-Nutz had this to share:

Too add to the bathroom thing...

Take your camera! LOL!

Sounds weird, I know. But last year I ran into both Jay Cutler and Phil Heath while go to the bathroom. Naturally, I just creeped outside and was able to snag a picture with them when they walked out. No waiting in line for hours at the booth for this guy.

Best part was is that they were both laughing about it and were pretty cool.

So there you go.

Well, that's about it. For more on the subject, here's a classic article that Byrd penned a few years back:

http://animalpak.com/html/article_details.cfm?ID=430&section=

Universal Rep
01-23-13, 5:13 pm
Great post and idea for a thread brotha... Ima take part of it.

Razor
01-23-13, 5:46 pm
One of my favorite articles Phil. Always awesome.

D-NUTZ
01-23-13, 6:00 pm
LOL! I forgot about my .02 cents.

Nice post as always.

GUNS
01-23-13, 6:04 pm
Awesome Phil, Thanks for adding this!

deanna7272
01-23-13, 6:54 pm
Great idea for the repost... Definitely worth reading and taking notes!!!

Christman
01-23-13, 9:47 pm
Nothing but the truth here, the expo gets extremely overcrowded... like butts-to-nuts crowded, and it will take you a long time to get anywhere especially on Saturday.

Phil800101
01-24-13, 2:33 am
Great post and idea for a thread brotha... Ima take part of it.

One of my favorite articles Phil. Always awesome.

LOL! I forgot about my .02 cents.

Nice post as always.

Awesome Phil, Thanks for adding this!

Great idea for the repost... Definitely worth reading and taking notes!!!

Nothing but the truth here, the expo gets extremely overcrowded... like butts-to-nuts crowded, and it will take you a long time to get anywhere especially on Saturday.

Thanks everybody!

Universal Rep
01-24-13, 11:04 am
Everyone should add their own valuable tip... Like sleep well the days leadin up to the show so that u can operate with less sleep during...

twoheadedboy
01-24-13, 6:03 pm
If you are attending the whole expo open to close all 3 days +post-festivities, be sure to take Monday off! I was already cashed Sunday after 3 lifting sessions (incl. 2 new 1RM's) and 2 full days at the festival, and then I had a car trip back to Chicagoland to look forward to. I slept until noon Monday!

deanna7272
01-24-13, 6:06 pm
Oh, also... As far as Expo tickets... If you know that you are going to be there all 3 days, ticketmaster usually offers a package deal that is cheaper than buying them all separate at the door. Plus no standing in ticket lines, just banding (which they may run them together, it will just get you in a little faster...)

GUNS
01-24-13, 6:14 pm
Ticketmaster 3 day pass is $33 right now!

deanna7272
01-24-13, 9:32 pm

Thanks!!!

Universal Rep
02-12-13, 2:15 pm
Another reminder to have cash...

T Dirty
02-12-13, 2:19 pm
Definitely Bring Cash, and a pack filled with food/carbs. Last year I survived off of Carbrite bars and Atomic 7...hahhaha
Great article to post Phil!

Phil800101
02-12-13, 3:33 pm
Everyone should add their own valuable tip... Like sleep well the days leadin up to the show so that u can operate with less sleep during...

Definitely. Of course (and I know I'm not the only one here) this weekend is like Christmas to me, so I always sleep like dogshit Wednesday night before we leave, ha ha. By the time we hit Metro Fitness Thursday night I'm running on pure fumes.

If you are attending the whole expo open to close all 3 days +post-festivities, be sure to take Monday off! I was already cashed Sunday after 3 lifting sessions (incl. 2 new 1RM's) and 2 full days at the festival, and then I had a car trip back to Chicagoland to look forward to. I slept until noon Monday!

Good call. Back in 2008, I had to go to work at 3:30 AM that Monday...this was also the year that most if not all of us came back sick with some kind of crud...horrible combo, ha ha.

Oh, also... As far as Expo tickets... If you know that you are going to be there all 3 days, ticketmaster usually offers a package deal that is cheaper than buying them all separate at the door. Plus no standing in ticket lines, just banding (which they may run them together, it will just get you in a little faster...)

Yup, most definitely. Just got mine in the mail last week.

Another reminder to have cash...

You can never have enough...

Definitely Bring Cash, and a pack filled with food/carbs. Last year I survived off of Carbrite bars and Atomic 7...hahhaha
Great article to post Phil!

Indeed.

Thanks! Just trying to spread the knowledge.