PDA

View Full Version : need some help with my back!!!

ajoaks
01-30-13, 9:18 pm
whats up bros?
so I have noticed this a little while and figured it was time to reach out for some help. For a while my back was lacking, but I started really focusing harder on my back days and getting better contractions with thinking and seeing my back pulling rather than my arms. I have gained a lot of size in my back and I am very happy with the results....on the right side. Yep, thats the problem, both sides are developing, but my right side is wider and stands out further down my spine. The left side, not so much. It still has improved a lot but its like looking at a strong well worked back versus a up and comers back on the left side. Any advice on getting them to even out without neglecting my right side too much?
What I have been doing is every set of lat pulls and pull ups I do one extra rep really focusing and pulling with jus my left side. Any unilateral work I do I usually add one extra rep to the left side at least on half of the sets.
Thanks guys!

BigAnt
01-30-13, 10:50 pm
whats up bros?
so I have noticed this a little while and figured it was time to reach out for some help. For a while my back was lacking, but I started really focusing harder on my back days and getting better contractions with thinking and seeing my back pulling rather than my arms. I have gained a lot of size in my back and I am very happy with the results....on the right side. Yep, thats the problem, both sides are developing, but my right side is wider and stands out further down my spine. The left side, not so much. It still has improved a lot but its like looking at a strong well worked back versus a up and comers back on the left side. Any advice on getting them to even out without neglecting my right side too much?
What I have been doing is every set of lat pulls and pull ups I do one extra rep really focusing and pulling with jus my left side. Any unilateral work I do I usually add one extra rep to the left side at least on half of the sets.
Thanks guys!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

We have our inbalances in certain muscle groups, even the IFBB Pro bodybulders do! Some of it could be genetic, injury related or just plain old sloppy form.

Did you ever have an injury to your left side of the body, any nerve damage?

The back is a tough muscle to train, we cannot really see the muscles. Unlike the chest-bicpeps when you working it out. THE BACK REQUIRES A
GREAT MIND-MUSLCE CONNECTION!

What exercises are you doing for your back and how do you split your body parts up?

When doing the unilateral work (one arm dumbbell rows, Hammer Strenght Iso Lateral rowsl and one arm cable pull downs-which is a great movement using a D-handle) always start with your weaker side. Also when doing bicep/shoulder/tricep/leg unilateral work, again start with your weaker side, the back is used in many movments as a secondary muscle. Yeah good form rules, I don't train with you or see you train. I assume you do not swing the weights. You should pause for a good contraction and control the negative portion of the rep right? !

Dead lifts, chins and rows (cable-t-bar-barbell-dumbbell) are the staple exercsies for a good back routine. After these, throw in your pull downs and other fancy work.

Within time it will even out.

rocky36
01-30-13, 11:43 pm
I had a noticeable lat imbalance a few years ago caused from using an over under grip and never switching when doing barbell rows. it also affected my bicepes to a lesser extent, my underhand was my left and overhand was my right, my right lat was bigger than the left and my left bicep was bigger than my right.

With that said i switched my grip, and started adding 1-2 sets of isolation curls for my right arm, and heavy db rows for my left lat.. it took about a year to balance up. problem solved

ajoaks
02-04-13, 10:49 am
Well, I have been mixing up my routines when I have to make changes due to classes and whatnot. but I usually do the following if possible
Sun-Back
Mon-Chest
Tues-Legs
Wed-Arms, Core
Thurs-Shoulders
Fri- Cardio or off
Sat- off
and I may throw in occasional 30 minute cardio sessions after my workout or in the AM if I have the time to do so.

And yeah I always go for good form in my lifts. I usually lean against a pole thats around our dumbbell rack to ensure my core stays still, but also allows for full ROM.

My back routine usually follows something like this.
Warm-up
Pull-ups 4 sets
barbell row- 4 sets
Lat pulls- 4 sets
machine row- 4 sets
close grip lat pulls- 4 sets
dumbbell rows- 4 sets
I dont know the name for it but I put the straight bar on the cable and do a pull down to my knees, I feel it in my lats and serratus. 2 sets
then I do the same lift with a handle and hit each side separately. 2 sets

then somedays if I feel up to it I try to see if I can get one more set of pull ups just for the heck of it.

I also dont do deadlift on my back day currently. I do it on my leg day and do normal deadlifts and sumo stance deadliest.

ajoaks
02-04-13, 10:53 am
Oh yeah, and injury wise. I have actually only had injuries on my right side. I dislocated my shoulder about 7 years ago, wasn't too bad, just a little muscle strain that bothered me for a few months. I also fractured a finger in my hand over 10 years ago, but that was before I did anything other than run around and be wild like most normal kids, so that never really affected me.

Train4life
02-05-13, 12:54 pm
you may have some minor scoliosis

BigAnt
02-05-13, 9:10 pm
Your back training protocal looks solid!

Please give it some time, by late spring-early summer you will see a big difference!

Good form, as you are training with is key, keep up the good work!

And don't forget to eat a good amount of carbs 24-36 hours before your back training!

ajoaks
02-06-13, 10:50 am
Your back training protocal looks solid!

Please give it some time, by late spring-early summer you will see a big difference!

Good form, as you are training with is key, keep up the good work!

And don't forget to eat a good amount of carbs 24-36 hours before your back training!

thanks man! I appreciate that. The good form is key! Had to cut my ego and drop weight to get the form right and about a month later I was using heavier weights than before. I will definitely stick with it, and thanks for the nutritional advice as well.

G Diesel
02-06-13, 10:54 am
Hit that cross-bench dumbbell pullover and focus on a mean stretch. Shit will torch your lats.

Peace, G

In Flames
02-07-13, 1:01 pm
Hit that cross-bench dumbbell pullover and focus on a mean stretch. Shit will torch your lats.

Peace, G

/\--I always do this exercise. You very seldom see many people doing this exercise. But the old school era pro's always performed it, so it had to be working. I love the feeling it gives my Lats and my Chest. On my last Rep while I'm holding it above my Chest I always push out some reps of Close Grip Bench variation with the Dumbell.