PDA

View Full Version : Pullup training program for women

Tbrat
02-04-13, 7:44 pm
My mom is very active and does a lot of strength and endurance training. She is about 150-160 i would guess at 5'9" and quite strong. She has never done much back training in the past and has recently started training back with the goal to be able to do a pullup and eventually multiple pull ups. She isn't going to be dropping much more bodyweight so she just needs to be getting stronger. I had her doing just a typical strength program for back including some pulldowns, heavy rowing, deadlifts, and assisted pullups and negative pullups. Does anyone have any experience with this specific goal and what you think will work? I have also told her she needs to be eating on those days to try and allow for a calorie surplus or at least hitting her maintenance to gain some strength. She eats clean all the time so that's not an issue.

Any help is appreciated, thanks in advance.

C.Coronato
02-05-13, 8:56 am
If her goal is Pullups, have her start with assisted pullups. Bands, or machine works. Slowly lower the weight or tension until she can do them on her own. It will be a process but she will get there. Good luck.

Tbrat
02-05-13, 4:30 pm
QUOTE=C.Coronato;1291813]If her goal is Pullups, have her start with assisted pullups. Bands, or machine works. Slowly lower the weight or tension until she can do them on her own. It will be a process but she will get there. Good luck.[/QUOTE]

Thanks C. Should she continue training back with a low rep strength program in addition to that?

deanna7272
02-05-13, 5:02 pm
I'll tell ya... I am about Mom's size give or take a pound or inch and I definitely don't consider myself weak training back, but I also struggle with pull ups...

I agree with CC on the bands and assisted pull ups... I started being able to ZERO over hand wide grip unassisted and 3 band assisted (at the knee, not under the foot) and now I can at least do 5 band assisted, but still ZERO unassisted... Pull ups have never been a forte of mine, but back training is probably my strongest body part.. At times I will switch from overhand wide to underhand close just to be successful at getting my butt off the ground!! It's completely frustrating...