PDA

View Full Version : Tips for getting started packing meals

phyde2
02-08-13, 8:59 am
Hey guys,

So I am trying to make the transition from powerlifting to bodybuilding for the next few months to give my joints a break and try to recomp/drop my BF levels back down from 20%-15%. I was wondering if you bro's had any tips on pre-making meals and packing meals for on the go and such. As well as any tips on how to keep from going nuts after a "eat anything in sight" to eating super clean. Thanks!

Aggression
02-08-13, 9:12 am
From eating 'anything' to eating clean, don't go from one end of the spectrum to the other in one shot. Ease yourself into it. Otherwise, you'll have a much harder time switching. My recommendation is to clean up your meals and then give yourself a 'cheat meal' every few nights. I was in the same boat as you. I just switched over to 'clean' eating a few weeks ago. I eat clean for all meals, all week long. Exception: Sundays are 'anything' days. And I may have ONE cheat meal mid-week, usually dinner. Start off with something like that and see how it works. Adjust accordingly. You'll see results.

As for packing food, I typically cook on weekends. Cook in bulk is the best, most efficient way. Chicken, beef, rice, etc. Cook a few packages of each at once. Don't try cooking every night or two. You'll go nuts. I then pre-pack them in tupperware and throw them in the fridge. Takes a few minutes to make 5-10 meals on a Sunday evening. And then each morning, grab a few meals and head out. Done.

Chase "BIG COUNTRY" Browning
02-08-13, 9:15 am
Basically what Aggs said. Something that always helps me is having something to munch on between meals or when u get a craving. Beef jerky, nuts, a wedge of cheese, etc... makes it so much more pleasant for me.

Aggression
02-08-13, 9:17 am
Basically what Aggs said. Something that always helps me is having something to munch on between meals or when u get a craving. Beef jerky, nuts, a wedge of cheese, etc... makes it so much more pleasant for me.

Knowing you're giving yourself a 'cheat' dinner on a Wednesday night will enable you to stick to your diet Monday and Tuesday. It'll be easier to stay disciplined if you know its just a few days until you feast. Have your big dinner Wednesday and you'll be good to go through maybe Friday night. And then you think, 'Hey, one more day and then I can eat whatever I want all day long'. #boom.

phyde2
02-08-13, 9:48 am
Knowing you're giving yourself a 'cheat' dinner on a Wednesday night will enable you to stick to your diet Monday and Tuesday. It'll be easier to stay disciplined if you know its just a few days until you feast. Have your big dinner Wednesday and you'll be good to go through maybe Friday night. And then you think, 'Hey, one more day and then I can eat whatever I want all day long'. #boom.

Thanks guys I appreciate the input! Do you guys cook your breakfast every morning or is it prepacked as well? Getting all the little details ironed out will help me stick to this....

Aggression
02-08-13, 9:54 am
Thanks guys I appreciate the input! Do you guys cook your breakfast every morning or is it prepacked as well? Getting all the little details ironed out will help me stick to this....

I don't eat breakfast. But the majority of people on here would answer with, 'We cook breakfast every morning.' Eggs and oats take a few minutes to cook, so it ain't bad.

IrishMike
02-08-13, 10:04 am
I try to keep some scrambled eggs or omelets frozen in individual servings for when I'm runnin late. I eat my oats cold with milk.

The taste isn't quite as good reheated, but hey its quick, whole food protein; right?

Christman
02-08-13, 10:29 am
I don't eat breakfast. But the majority of people on here would answer with, 'We cook breakfast every morning.' Eggs and oats take a few minutes to cook, so it ain't bad.

About half of the time I cook breakfast in the morning and like Aggs said, eggs and oats only take a few minutes and is super simple. The other half of the time, this is when I know I won't have extra time in the AM, I like to blend up my eggs and oats and cook them like a pancake. This way I can just toss that in the microwave for 30 secs and eat with some sugar-free Mrs. Butterworth and I am good to go.

MRmichael.hooker
02-08-13, 10:52 am
Agree with all the above. My tips to add on top of what's already stated is I actually crack my eggs the night before. I'll weigh out my chicken (already cooked from Sunday), put them in their bowls, fill my shaker cups of water (easier for me at work than carrying a gallon jug), and i'll crack my eggs in a bowl and put back in the fridge. It makes it super easy to wake up, heat the frying pan and just toss em in already cracked & ready. Besides that, cooking food in advance is the easiest way. I also will (most of the time) go ahead and cut all my chicken after cooking.

phyde2
02-08-13, 11:24 am
Agree with all the above. My tips to add on top of what's already stated is I actually crack my eggs the night before. I'll weigh out my chicken (already cooked from Sunday), put them in their bowls, fill my shaker cups of water (easier for me at work than carrying a gallon jug), and i'll crack my eggs in a bowl and put back in the fridge. It makes it super easy to wake up, heat the frying pan and just toss em in already cracked & ready. Besides that, cooking food in advance is the easiest way. I also will (most of the time) go ahead and cut all my chicken after cooking.

Do you cover the eggs when you refrigerate them?

And dom, what is this pancake you speak of? I am interested as to how it taste....

Coffee for breakfast, with or without cream and sugar?

Aggression
02-08-13, 11:34 am
Coffee for breakfast, with or without cream and sugar?

In the grand scheme of things, drink your coffee however you want. I like just heavy cream.

DontBenchMeBro
02-09-13, 6:49 am
I have recently found that cooking twice a week instead of once helps. I have to take my meals to work and keep them in my car whilest I drive around. Food doesn't do so well sitting in a fridge for 4 or 5 days then getting nooked... Just saying.
I right now cook on Sundays and Wednesdays. Third week in and so far so good. Only complaint I have is that I am lazy when it comes to cooking and somestimes put it off. But I am handling it well this time.
Good luck!

In Flames
02-10-13, 12:10 pm
In the grand scheme of things, drink your coffee however you want. I like just heavy cream.

I'm with Aggs on this one. I never cook breakfast. My breakfast is a 50 gram protein shake, multi's and coffee w/ heavy whipping cream. I only eat 1-2 whole food meals a day and the rest of my diet is liquid. This works for me and my goals.

rainman
02-10-13, 3:32 pm
I cook twice a week for a couple of my meals, (chicken, rice & broccoli and beef mince, salsa & sweet potato), on Saturday and Tuesday nights usually, making 3 servings each. My day varies too much on Saturday to keep it constant with other stuff going on. My best tip would be to get 4 of the same tupperware boxes per meal, so if you are only cooking for 3 days, you can wash up the used boxes on the second day and still have 3 ready for your next cooking session.

The meals I make on the day are my first, (eggs etc.), shakes and amino drinks. I always had a pack of Uncle Ben's rice and a couple of tins of tuna in the bag I took to work in case I was kept there late and a MRP shake in the glove box of my car in an empty plastic bottle. I don't think going a few hours without a meal would make me go catabolic, but rather that I've got the option to go healthy, rather than stop off at a fast food outlet for convenience.

Oh, for a pancake mix try 3 whole eggs, 3 egg whites, 50g oats and 100g of cottage cheese blended. I use 2 pans, flipping from one to the next to save time. Sprinkle with lemon juice and sweetener. It's the meal I most look forward to during the day.

MRmichael.hooker
02-10-13, 5:05 pm
Do you cover the eggs when you refrigerate them?

Yes, throw some sarand wrap over the bowl

naturalguy
02-11-13, 1:51 pm
Like others have said, be prepared, have some meals pre-made ahead of time.

I cook all my "lunches" that I take to work with me on Sunday. I'll marinate a bunch of chicken/steak/fish (either, I'll switch for variety) on Saturday and cooked it in the oven on a baking sheet on Sunday (or grill it in the summer). Then I'll also cook some vegetables and either rice or sweet potatoes. I'll put individual meals in the fridge this way in the morning before leaving for work they are there and already portioned out.

IrishMike
02-11-13, 2:43 pm
I also recently discovered that a spoon full of course spicy brown mustard is a great topping for baked fish. ( pre cook )

rbowman91
02-13-13, 9:36 am
I make everything on sundays and store it in my fridge. usually chicken, ground beef, and some kind of carb (rice, couscous, etc).

then throughout the week i just put em in smaller tupperwares for meals when i'm at work. i make these the night before.

i keep some soy sauce at my desk (low sodium kind) and a couple different sauces to dip my meats in. i usually opt for tasty sauces with little sugar. whole foods sells lots of these. unless you dont mind eating your shit plain, but i got tired of that real quick!

meal prep is key bro!

phyde2
02-13-13, 11:23 am
I make everything on sundays and store it in my fridge. usually chicken, ground beef, and some kind of carb (rice, couscous, etc).

then throughout the week i just put em in smaller tupperwares for meals when i'm at work. i make these the night before.

i keep some soy sauce at my desk (low sodium kind) and a couple different sauces to dip my meats in. i usually opt for tasty sauces with little sugar. whole foods sells lots of these. unless you dont mind eating your shit plain, but i got tired of that real quick!

meal prep is key bro!

That is a great idea about the sauces, may have to start that up

These are all great idea's guys thanks, keep 'em coming!

Do ya'll just carry your tupperware's or do you use one of those hot/cold bags? I was watching Kai's documentary and he made the suggestion of buying one because most top level pro's do...

Aggression
02-13-13, 11:27 am
I buy a pack or two of tupperware from a store and use that to store my food in. Nothing fancy, nothing special. Just a store-brand pack of 5 or so. I'll get two packs bc I always seem to lose a top or two over time. I have a regular cooler that I use to bring my meals to work. We have a fridge here at the office, so I just throw the meals into my tupperware by themselves. When I get to work, I just toss them in the fridge and all is well. Whatever works.

Firefist
02-13-13, 11:41 am
Like everyone else said, pre-packin is key. My meals are pretty easy to make for the most part: 2-3 chicken breasts, 3-4 cups of instant oats or rice, and some stirfry sauce get me through the work day. It takes 5-10 minutes to grill up the chicken and about the same in a rice cooker. I'll do this right before I shower at night so its all cooked by the time I get done. After I get done at work, I'll go home and cook dinner that will be ready by the time im done with class and training at night.

I keep a box full of oatmeal packets as well as a small tupperware of whey at both my cubicle and my gym bag. Just in case. Shit comes up, and it doesnt hurt to be prepared.

One thing I often do is make a soup or chilli on a sunday. Throw in some ground beef or venison, beans, tomatoes in the chili, or some handcut ham with the bone, potatoes, veggies and the works in a soup. All I gotta do from there is make a few cups of rice to throw in em and there you have it; good meals that take no time to make.

*edit- You can never have too much tupperware.

Christman
02-14-13, 9:24 am
You can never have too much tupperware.

So true.

deanna7272
02-14-13, 9:29 am
You can never have too much tupperware.

True because no matter how hard you try to avoid it, you end up with 6 containers and 2 lids..... Grrrr... I'm wrapping my bowl of oatmeal with Saran Wrap because I can't ever locate the stupid lid!!!!

phyde2
02-14-13, 10:31 am
True because no matter how hard you try to avoid it, you end up with 6 containers and 2 lids..... Grrrr... I'm wrapping my bowl of oatmeal with Saran Wrap because I can't ever locate the stupid lid!!!!

It is very similar to the sock gnome, the little thing that always steals one matching sock...

deanna7272
02-14-13, 11:26 am
It is very similar to the sock gnome, the little thing that always steals one matching sock...

Yup... The Unexplained Phenomenons...