PDA

View Full Version : any thought

ChefAlex
02-12-13, 10:52 pm
So after several years of being inactive 24 years young now I'm on my 3 week back at the gym power lifting. My previous pr's were a decent 455x3 DL 435x1 squat and 285 bench. Bench has always been my weak point I'm 5 10 long arms worked in gyms for several years did a lot of research3 weeks in my squat and deadlifts are around 315 for a few which I'm happy about however my bench is struggling. I know its only been less than a month. My routine is as follows for chest. Flat bench 8 8 4 2. Inclined DB 8 8 6 4. Pullovers 10 10 10. inclined DB flys 10 10 10. Dips with 25lb plate 3 sets as much as I can (5-8). Close grip bench 8 6 4 2 and then 3 sets of lockouts. I mean I'm getting stronger but its slower than my legs/lower back. Should I keep going with this routine or anyone have any incite on how I could make it better? Thanks

Firefist
02-12-13, 11:10 pm
I had the same problem brotha. My bench is still nothing to write home about at all, but it has improved alot in just the last few months. I cant offer any specific routine, but I have been focusing on flat and incline bench. I do anywhere from 6-8 working sets, moving up on weight and doing mostly triples and doubles on both movements.

A big thing I also did was correct my form, and fix my hand placement. Just that alone helped me to move from 205 to 225 on incline a while back. I've learned there is a difference between "good and textbook" form and the most mechanically advantageous form.

I'm sure the rest of the legion have alot of other ideas to help out.

Good luck brotha.

Firefist
02-12-13, 11:12 pm
Also, sometimes its good to take a step back and break down the movement. You can look into movements such as floor presses and pins, as well as use chains, bands, etc to help you at your sticking points.

ChefAlex
02-12-13, 11:26 pm
I know I'm still figuring out where my grip is comfortable and I think I need some dumbbell work on my stabilizer muscles.as far as chains and bands go there are none. My gym is an athletic club which serves alcohol and has a bar.... I'm just glad they don't mind me using chalk and have a cage. Trying to make the best of it no power lifters there lot of people just doing upper body to go to the bar. Damn island

pushin weight
02-13-13, 6:51 am
A vid would be good . Always remember to utilize your leg drive ..that alone can add a lot to your total...and increase your bench overnight

pushin weight
02-13-13, 6:53 am
I know I'm still figuring out where my grip is comfortable and I think I need some dumbbell work on my stabilizer muscles.as far as chains and bands go there are none. My gym is an athletic club which serves alcohol and has a bar.... I'm just glad they don't mind me using chalk and have a cage. Trying to make the best of it no power lifters there lot of people just doing upper body to go to the bar. Damn island

That is crazy...

ChefAlex
02-13-13, 10:01 pm
Thanks. I just read the article you posted as well that is how I bench however after several inactive years I've forgot some of the basics and I'll try to improve on them. I'll try to get some videos up soon as well going on a cruise in ten days so I'll put on some weight there by the 24/7 all you can eat buffet. Any thoughts on bill kazmaiers routine for bench?

Firefist
02-13-13, 10:14 pm
Thanks. I just read the article you posted as well that is how I bench however after several inactive years I've forgot some of the basics and I'll try to improve on them. I'll try to get some videos up soon as well going on a cruise in ten days so I'll put on some weight there by the 24/7 all you can eat buffet. Any thoughts on bill kazmaiers routine for bench?

Which article might you be talking about man?

Here are some good sources to help your bench. Just recently posted.
http://forum.animalpak.com/showthread.php?40318-A-must-read-for-any-one-who-wants-to-improve-their-bench-from-elitefts-com

Also this from GUNZ who is a raw bench yoda
http://www.animalpak.com/html/article_details.cfm?section=training&id=624

I havent done kazmaiers routine, but it is reminicent of many routines that are out there. At the end of the day, it all works to some extent. In your routine, you have many accessory exercises. Nothing wrong with this, but I feel that if you want a stronger bench, you need to focus on that. I dont think 4 sets of flat and incline are enough. I'd put more emphasis on those movements and less of the isos. If you want a strong bench, you gotta bench.

I am no expert and I certainly do not have a huge bench. Everyone responds differently to different stimulus, so you gotta try it all to see what happens. Variation and change can be good.

Enjoy that cruise brotha.

TigerAce01
02-13-13, 11:05 pm
Watch this whole series 3-4 times before you bench again...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHx1gYTA-Rw

-Ace

Cellardweller
02-14-13, 12:29 pm
I suggest just keeping it simple since you're only 3 weeks back. Just run a 5x5 program for a couple months hitting 5x5 on flat, incline and decline until you get your 5 rep max up to somewhere that you're happy then switch to something else. Rebuild some foundational strength and spark some muscle memory first. You can work on form in the meantime as well.

ChefAlex
02-14-13, 12:42 pm
Thanks cellar it does make sense I'm just trying to sprint through a marathon I'm so excited about lifting again and want it all back but its gotta be my hard work again that will get me there