PDA

View Full Version : Tabata Protocol

greatkeen
02-21-13, 12:35 am
has anyone got any experience of it? specially using resistance base exercise for the 4 min protocol?

also what would be some good exercises for this protocol (from fat loss prespective)... front squats? thrusters? burpees? anyother?

Thanks.

IronWilson
02-21-13, 6:07 am
Typical Tabata protocol is 20 sec. intense exercise then 10 sec. rest. You can do it with pretty much any exercise, but I wouldn't recommend going heavy at all. And keep in mind that you can do any combination of exercises at a rate that will make you puke, but how effective will they be?

For fat loss, here is one bodyweight tabata workout I got from T-nation a while ago that I like:

20 sec Speed Squats
10 sec rest
20 sec Burpees
10 sec rest
20 sec Mountain Climbers (keep neutral spine)
10 sec
20 sec Speed Skips (in place) (lift knee above hip)
10 sec rest
20 sec Speed Squats
10 sec rest
20 sec Burpees
10 sec rest
20 sec Mountain Climbers (keep neutral spine)
10 sec
20 sec Speed Skips (in place) (lift knee above hip)

greatkeen
02-21-13, 6:21 am
Ironwilson, thanks buddy.

I know the protocol 20 secs peak + 10 secs rest and all. Also of what little bit i read, i think it's best to keep it with one single exercise, i think it be easier to concentrate and apply specially in a commercial gym setup.

i am interested in hearing in if any one has personally tried and how effective it went with resistence training? Since original research was using a stationary bike.

Thanks.

MikeNice
02-27-13, 8:10 am
Blake Kassel over at Bodylastics / Live Exercise has whole routines that revolve around the Tabata protocol and body building style moves. He uses resistance bands instead of free weights. It will definitely beat you up if you choose the resistance properly. I did arms the other night at in ten minutes they were deep fried. It took about three days to get them to stop feeling bruised. I started out with 26lb curls and ended up dropping to 19lbs.

That being said, I prefer to use more calisthenic and cardio style moves. Resisted burbess are beastly. It doesn't sound like much, but try hooking 10lbs of resistance to each ankle and doing eight rounds of burpees. Rest for one minute and then do resisted pushups. After that go for standing/squatted back row and finish up with ski squats, speed squats, or dumb bell squats. Twenty minutes and you will be completely beat. Just remember to warm up for four or five minutes first.

Tabata works and works well for certain goals. Just remember that safety is paramount. You have to leave your ego at the door and listen to your body. Too much resistance and you can damage something quickly. You will get tired and your muscles will get weak. It is not uncommon to drop weight or resistance as the rounds progress. If you can make it all eight rounds without dropping, up your begining resistance.

MikeNice
02-27-13, 8:33 am
If you are just looking to do a "fat burning" workout try,

1 round of jump rope
1 round of resisted Frankensteins
(Hold your arms up just below chest height and run in place. Make sure your knees hit your hands. Put the resistance on your ankles.)
1 round of resisted pushups
1 round of resisted mountain climbers
1 round of assisted pull-ups

With a 4 minute warm up and 1 minute rest between rounds it should take about thirty minutes.