PDA

View Full Version : The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner

Petri
02-21-13, 2:55 pm
30 years of age, overweight. No substantial time with the weights, dabbled here and there. Trying to find out what works for me. Loose weight and look better. Here are my logs this far.

11.1.2013 (first training in months)

Warm up using crosstrainer, kettlebell and bands. Noooo rush. Just do good strict reps and gradually work my way up

Bent-over barbell row 3x4 (40kg) Felt somewhat easy.

Shrugs 2x8 (17.5kg)

Triceps, cable 1x8 (40kg), 1x8 (50kg), 1x6 (50kg). 40kg somewhat was too light, but couldn't get the last two with 50.

Biceps with barbell 2x8

Leg raises Bunch

Farmers walk maybe 20meters 30/30kg

Warmed up using cross trainer, bands and kettlebell

Barbell row 40kg 3x6

Shrugs 17.5kg 2x10

Triceps, cable 50kg 2x6, last one was 1x5.

Biceps barbell 1x12, felt tight before starting, did only one set

Then with 24kg kettlebell some two hand swings and after 5 or so swings, swing it up over your head and hold for 5-10 seconds. Did maybe 4 sets, then static bridge hold and abs. Didn't do farmers walks, my forearms were tight after the kettlebell.

25.1.2013 (had stuff to do, gap between training)

Leg press 3x10 (185kg)

Rowing 1x12 40kg, 1x8 40kg

Dumbbell press (this is my weakest part bar none, my shoulders have been bad for years, just starting to experiment what I can do) 2x10 (10kg). Wasn't really heavy but I was allover the place with the dumbbells. Weak.

Shrugs 2x12 (17,5kg)

Leg raises and static bridge hold

Barbell biceps 1x15

18.2.2013 (First day training after the flu)

Leg Press 190kg 2x10, 1x11. When get solid 3x15 reps with the 190kg, I increase the weight 5-10kg.

Leg curl 40kg 3x10

Shrugs 17.5kg x 10, 20kg x 10. Progress.

Didn't have much energy to do anything else. Had a taxing aikido practice yesterday and did pushups, crunches and back raises after the workout.

20.2.2013 (Started working out in my "old gym" again)

BB Row 40kg 1x12, 1x15, 1x10 (the first one might have been more, lost count )

Shrugs 20kg 1x10

Biceps 20kg barbell 12-13 (lost count, again)

Triceps Might have been with 30kg. New gym, don't remember, maybe 10-12 reps. Didn't really pay attention.

I think I have somewhat of a pattern that I like to follow. My diet is better and have lost fat. I think I will do A, B, A, next week B, A, B type training. So tomorrow will be legs again

Leg press (I know "Squats is king" etc, but fuck me... I love the leg press! There, I said it! :D
Leg curl
Try to work in the shoulders, find what is good for them
Farmers walks

Then other workout

Barbell Rowing
Various other back movements (cables, machines)
Shrugs
Biceps
Triceps

Lets see what comes out of this! Suggestions are always welcome! Abs etc, I work after Aikido practice, 1-3 times a week.

Petri
02-22-13, 8:13 am

Ah, leg day.

Leg press 190kg 1x12, 2x15. I frequently have this thing where I first take less reps than in the last two. I think it is mental. Because I always realize after the first set that it wasn't THAT hard. Then I push more. Have to push more from the get go.

Leg Curl 30kg 1x15, 40kg 1x10 & 1x9

Farmers walk 32.5kg maybe 20 meters.

Saeger
02-22-13, 9:06 am
Hey man, welcome. I noticed you are hitting a lot of different muscle groups in the same day. I noticed that if I train 3-5 times a week and focus on a different muscle group each day than I have the best results. I also try to spread out the bigger ones so they are farther apart (Chest, back, legs) to give them more time to recover on their own. A good spread may be

Monday - Back
Tuesday- cardio/ abs
Wednesday- Chest/ biceps
Thursday- shoulders/ triceps
Friday- Legs

That might work for you, however there are several different ways to mix it up, ask the guys on here and they can point you in the right direction, good luck ill be checking in.

Petri
02-22-13, 12:36 pm
Hey saeger0411, thanks a bunch for chiming in! I hear what you are saying. The limited time I have fumbled around in the past years with training have been geared somewhat towards splits. Thing is, now I like things spartan to the point of obsessing :D Even the thought of splitting (and adding more stuff to the mix perhaps) my training to more specific body parts is, well, not unsettling, but the idea doesn't fit well in my head. Just too much to think about. If you know what I mean.

I'm trying to gear towards kinda like two way split, as in the same way that you have in push/pull, upper/lower etc. Trying to keep the exercises to minimum. For example; Leg press, leg curl, farmers walk, different types of rowing, shrugs, biceps, triceps, maybe rack pull where I emphasize pulling the shoulder blades back (as done in 8:40 mark) and one pushing movement.

But do you think I would be missing something with the more spartan split?

Saeger
02-22-13, 2:07 pm
I think that could work, however I think your missing some key movements that target several areas that are very important. In any sport or in general as far as getting in shape and being more balanced you should always incorporate squats, deadlifts and benchpress. All of these lifts focus on several muscles because they are made up of compound movements. If you are trying to do a workout that hits almost all your muscles 2 days a weeks than these are all important to incorporate so your workouts are as effective as they can be. Maybe try this:

day 1-
Squat
leg ext

Bench press
Dips

Day 2-
Deadlifts
rows

Overhead Press
Upright rows

Those are just suggestions. I think it is important to have those compound movements as part of your workout, but most of all do what works for you.

Petri
02-22-13, 2:51 pm
I have tried to get into squatting (been doing zercher squats here and there) but my shoulder and tricep (yeah, triceps) area is still so stiff (beeeen way stiffer, have worked to get the shoulders better) that I cant get the bar behind my neck... I did deadlifting almost solely for 8 months. Got too creedy and got my back tight as fuck when my back rounded too much with too much weight. Been kinda putting it off, the starting again part. Don't want to hurt it again. Back on the horse, I know... Benching has always been bad for my shoulders, but I haven't REALLY tried it in a long time. Have to tackle it!

Saeger
02-22-13, 3:22 pm
I have tried to get into squatting (been doing zercher squats here and there) but my shoulder and tricep (yeah, triceps) area is still so stiff (beeeen way stiffer, have worked to get the shoulders better) that I cant get the bar behind my neck... I did deadlifting almost solely for 8 months. Got too creedy and got my back tight as fuck when my back rounded too much with too much weight. Been kinda putting it off, the starting again part. Don't want to hurt it again. Back on the horse, I know... Benching has always been bad for my shoulders, but I haven't REALLY tried it in a long time. Have to tackle it!

Maybe try front squats, start light till you get your form down, if you substitute those for back squats you may want to throw in another hamstring exercise like lunges, since front squats take some of the focus off the hamstring area and focus more on quads. When getting back into deadlift you can't be greedy or you are going to get hurt so it is important to start light and nail your form before trying any serious weight. Bench press shouldn't hurt your shoulders if your form is correct . If it proves to continually be an issue, do incline press so you are still hitting some of those muscles and it will help to get back into flat bench. Below are two links that should help, one answers some questions about squatting and the other will show proper form and how to take tension off of your shoulders.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/548468-do-front-squats-work-different-muscles-than-static-lunges/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6I0z_d4xqY

Petri
02-22-13, 3:57 pm
Thanks man! Appreciate it.

Petri
02-22-13, 4:37 pm
There's a Power Squat Machine at my gym. Seems to be a good option to try out? And the bench press video is good! I've seen it before but didn't really pay attention then! :D

Saeger
02-23-13, 9:20 am
There's a Power Squat Machine at my gym. Seems to be a good option to try out? And the bench press video is good! I've seen it before but didn't really pay attention then! :D

The machine is a good step in the right direction. Maybe after you hit that for a couple weeks try to move to free weight squats though. I have always thought that they give better and more accurate results. Keep on rockin man, coming on this forum was one of the best things i did. When one of the veteran guys jumps on your journey to comment they will blow your mind, lol. A lot of good stuff on here.

Petri
02-24-13, 2:28 pm
Yeah, I like this place :) Seems to be a great vibe here and I like the visuality (black and white layout) ;)

Petri
03-20-13, 2:53 pm

Had a long lay off. My mother passed away 26.2... She was 70 years old and was sick for years. I was with her until the end, held her hand and told her she can go. I was her caretaker for years. She went peacefully, at her sleep. She just couldn't take it anymore and she wanted to go away and I said she can. I said to her that I will be alright and she said I know. I love her so much. Thanks for everything mamma.

Have to get back to training. This is for me, and for her also. The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner.

Leg Press 200kg 2x15, 1x10

Leg Curl 40kg 1x15, 1x13, 1x6

Biceps 20kg 1x15, 1x8

Abs

No triceps. Had a pinched nerve, have to see whats what in friday.

World Eater
03-20-13, 3:09 pm
I'm sorry for your loss man. Good to see you're getting back to training and somewhat dedicating it to her though.

Petri
03-20-13, 3:12 pm
I'm sorry for your loss man. Good to see you're getting back to training and somewhat dedicating it to her though.

All she wanted is that I will also have a good life. Of course she was amazingly proud of me because I took care of her, but she was my mother and moms want the best for their children. I wouldn't change these years we had for anything.

And thanks.

Saeger
03-20-13, 4:03 pm
Sorry for your loss brother. Stay strong, your mom is in a better place.

Petri
03-20-13, 4:16 pm
Sorry for your loss brother. Stay strong, your mom is in a better place.

Thanks man. Yeah, I remember when we talked about death years ago and I asked her what she think happens after. She just said "Isn't that when everything is better." Not asking, but just saying.

I know she got her wish. Now I have to just take it one day at a time. Its weird because I was with her daily. The last 1½ years or so, I was with her 18-24 hours a day. Did everything, and slept in a sofa chair besides her, so I was always there when she needed anything. Now its like 95% of my life, or my routines are gone...

Have to get my diet in order. A lot of cutting to do...

Petri
03-22-13, 4:01 pm

Close grip Bench 50kg 2x4. Shoulders are my weak part. They were really bad for a year, and I can see that the benching, even with small poundage, aggravates them. Not the joints, but I get tightness that isn't similar to a good workout tightness. Have to see how it acts up.

BB Rowing 50kg 2x10, 1x6. 10kg increase from last time.

Shrugs 20kg 1x15

Then other "feelers" for the back, with machines.

Petri
03-25-13, 5:41 pm

Leg Press 210kg 3x15. Pretty easy, even with the 10kg increase.

Leg Curl 45kg 2x10. 5kg increase

Biceps 20kg 1x12, 25kg 1x8. Felt easy. Next time have to try to get 2x12 with the 25kg

Triceps 25kg 1x6, 1x5. Was heavy as hell, still somewhat tight from benching.

+ Abs

Petri
03-26-13, 4:51 am
I think I'm going to have to change my approach to the leg press or start doing something else, because I always get real light headed during, and I think it somewhat continued to last night also. Felt really off and woozy.