PDA

View Full Version : To the powerlifters... Wut does it mean to lift in the CAGE?

Universal Rep
02-22-13, 11:51 am
I hear and read a lot about this, esp. this time of year. I have heard PLers who have lifted in the CAGE say its like the Superbowl of powerlifting. Others whove never lifted in the CAGE or even been there wonder why PLers wanna lift there. Why not just enter a meet instead? Wut makes the CAGE the CAGE? I hear theres an energy, a vibe that is unlike anythin else out there. True? I wonder...

Chase "BIG COUNTRY" Browning
02-22-13, 11:56 am
Just standing in the Cage when Sam Byrd hit 825 on squat... probably the most hyped I've ever been in my entire life. Whole crowd was electrified. Heart beating out of my chest. Goosebumps, stomach in knots. Light headed, 100% caught up in the moment. NOW, imagine being Sam Byrd.

Universal Rep
02-22-13, 1:24 pm
Just standing in the Cage when Sam Byrd hit 825 on squat... probably the most hyped I've ever been in my entire life. Whole crowd was electrified. Heart beating out of my chest. Goosebumps, stomach in knots. Light headed, 100% caught up in the moment. NOW, imagine being Sam Byrd.

Ur on the other side, the side thats generatin all that excitment fort he PLers... the excitment that they can see, hear and taste Ima sure.

Ragin Asian
02-22-13, 3:24 pm
Competing in a meet does have a certain level of excitement and we love to do them - when we're ready of course and have good days. Some are small meets with maybe 20 lifters and there are bigger meets that can span 2 days and have 60-100 lifters. How many spectators depends on the size of the meet and popularity. We enjoy doing them, not just for the competition - but to also share the platform with old friends, meet new ones, and even make friends with new opponents. I don't really think about the spectators when competing in a meet, to tell you the truth. It's great they show, but most of them are family and friends of the competitors - they're there to root for their own.

The Cage is an entirely different beast. The competitive aspect is still there, but the excitement level is through the roof and extremely electrifying. Over the years, I noticed whenever the lifters are getting ready to do their exhibitions, their pupils dilate quite a bit. A definite sign that they are experiencing that great sought after adrenaline rush. Do we experience that in a meet? Some do to a certain extent, but one has to psych oneself up to achieve that. In the Cage, the crowd, the fans, all our iron brethren and sisters psych us up. Just being in there is awe inspiring. The atmosphere and support from everyone and the crowd helps create a feeling of invincibility, the confidence to go no holds barred. I can't think of any event or venue that can compare to the Animal Cage - there's nothing like it anywhere else.

Universal Rep
02-22-13, 3:39 pm
Competing in a meet does have a certain level of excitement and we love to do them - when we're ready of course and have good days. Some are small meets with maybe 20 lifters and there are bigger meets that can span 2 days and have 60-100 lifters. How many spectators depends on the size of the meet and popularity. We enjoy doing them, not just for the competition - but to also share the platform with old friends, meet new ones, and even make friends with new opponents. I don't really think about the spectators when competing in a meet, to tell you the truth. It's great they show, but most of them are family and friends of the competitors - they're there to root for their own.

The Cage is an entirely different beast. The competitive aspect is still there, but the excitement level is through the roof and extremely electrifying. Over the years, I noticed whenever the lifters are getting ready to do their exhibitions, their pupils dilate quite a bit. A definite sign that they are experiencing that great sought after adrenaline rush. Do we experience that in a meet? Some do to a certain extent, but one has to psych oneself up to achieve that. In the Cage, the crowd, the fans, all our iron brethren and sisters psych us up. Just being in there is awe inspiring. The atmosphere and support from everyone and the crowd helps create a feeling of invincibility, the confidence to go no holds barred. I can't think of any event or venue that can compare to the Animal Cage - there's nothing like it anywhere else.

Really interestin and insightful post, RA, esp. that part bout the dilated pupils. Thnx. I got to thinkin about this topic on account of reading this about Lilliebridge on PL Watch... http://www.powerliftingwatch.com/node/24519

The thing is, the "remuneration" that the one fella mentions... Wutever it is, I dont think that's got anythin to do with anythin. It think its wut ur sayin... A chance to tap into that current, that electricity that only the CAGE can provide and feel the adrenaline rush and seein where that rush takes ya.

Unlike at a meet, everyone in the CAGE and everyone around the CAGE is rootin for ya, cheerin ya on. One goal, one purpose... Hit that lift.

Ragin Asian
02-22-13, 7:59 pm
You're right about the comment that one guy made about "remuneration" - it has absolutely NOTHING to do with why any of the lifters feel privileged, excited and jump at the opportunity to lift in the Cage. Some folks just don't know what they're talking about and they make assumptions. The only way to show people or help express that feeling of awe and energy is to tell them to get their asses in the Cage and feel it for themselves. There are truly no words to describe what we feel in there, pushing ourselves to go beyond what we'd expect - all the while feeling the waves of energy the crowds, fans, and supporters direct our way - almost to seem like they're trying to lift the weight for us.

At meets you'll see supporters, handlers, and sometimes spectators get on the edge of their seats when their favorite lifter makes an attempt at a weight that turns into a grinder. The ones who support will scream the loudest or make body gestures - as if they're trying to will some invisible force to help the lifter. Sort of like when bowling, how the bowler will lean to a side hoping the ball rolls in that direction when trying to hit the intended pins.

In the Cage - EVERYONE inside and out shows this kind of reaction when lifters are performing. Not just a few who have certain favorites - but everyone. Even onlookers who happen to stop by to see the commotion, they jump in to the support action and cheer just as loudly. When you're the one lifting and you feel this omnipresent energy and cheer from not only people who know you but folks who may have absolutely no idea who you are and just happen to be watching because they find it exciting - you're overtaken by an overhwhelming need to hit those numbers or die trying.

At meets, even top level, you're lucky to get a hundred spectators showing this kind of support and energy. In the Cage - the energy is in the thousands! The Cage is it's own phenomenon that can't be beat out by any competition.

Kowboy
02-22-13, 8:33 pm
I am not a powerlifter, a pro or anyone really but I am psyched for PvB on Sunday. I know it is not what most people mean when they say they want to lift in the cage but this is a dream come true. I am stoked for this shit, I am going to give it 100% in front of the Animal crew and try the best not to embarrass myself.

GUNZ
02-22-13, 11:19 pm
Will be my first time lifting in Cage, just to achieve a goal of being sponsored by Animal was life long dream. To get a chance to lift in the Animal Cage is the top honor to me as a powerlifter. I broke quiet a few federation WR before, racked up a lot of wins on platform, UPC Ultimate Powerlifting Championship belt worth $2000, ect yall get the point. None of this means shit, and id give it all up to lift in the Cage!!! That's how much this is a badge of honor in my eyes. Closer it gets the more and more I keep thinking about lifting in Cage and feeling the energy from all the fans and other Animal Freaks jacks me up sitting here at home typing on computer. CAN'T WAIT!

Firefist
02-23-13, 10:42 am
I'm with trebin on this one. Will be my first time "lifting" in the cage in the PvB. Hopefully my first of more in the future. I've seen some pretty amazing things happen in there and to just pick up the bar that these guys are using.... theres something to be said about even that.

TheJuggernautBitch
02-23-13, 11:55 am
i was just thinking about this last night while trying to fall asleep. i came to the conclusion that if i ever had an opportunity to lift in the cage, afterwards i could walk away knowing that i truly accomplished something in this sport.

Universal Rep
02-25-13, 12:00 pm
Will be my first time lifting in Cage, just to achieve a goal of being sponsored by Animal was life long dream. To get a chance to lift in the Animal Cage is the top honor to me as a powerlifter. I broke quiet a few federation WR before, racked up a lot of wins on platform, UPC Ultimate Powerlifting Championship belt worth $2000, ect yall get the point. None of this means shit, and id give it all up to lift in the Cage!!! That's how much this is a badge of honor in my eyes. Closer it gets the more and more I keep thinking about lifting in Cage and feeling the energy from all the fans and other Animal Freaks jacks me up sitting here at home typing on computer. CAN'T WAIT!

I really wanna hear ur experience as someone who dreamed of liftin in the CAGE, and then who did... Wut ur thoughts and experiences were. For example, did ur experience meet ur lofty expectations???

Phil800101
02-25-13, 12:47 pm
I am not a powerlifter, a pro or anyone really but I am psyched for PvB on Sunday. I know it is not what most people mean when they say they want to lift in the cage but this is a dream come true. I am stoked for this shit, I am going to give it 100% in front of the Animal crew and try the best not to embarrass myself.

I'm with trebin on this one. Will be my first time "lifting" in the cage in the PvB. Hopefully my first of more in the future. I've seen some pretty amazing things happen in there and to just pick up the bar that these guys are using.... theres something to be said about even that.

Word.

JHOORNSTRA
02-27-13, 11:22 pm
Awesome experience...I've lifted in big shows and the hype and energy at the animalcage by far surpasses any other. It's not, I hope I hit this bench so the record moves...it's more like Fuck it, I'll do a double with it. No where else will you have the crowd that excited and amped to watch people lift...inspiring.
...wish I could make it this year...next year for sure...

JHO

GUNZ
03-04-13, 4:51 pm
I really wanna hear ur experience as someone who dreamed of liftin in the CAGE, and then who did... Wut ur thoughts and experiences were. For example, did ur experience meet ur lofty expectations???

I will go into further detail once I have time to put all my thoughts together about the past 4 days!!! This experience was even better then I ever thought it would be, from the second I walked in the Cage Thursday night to check out the new bench everyone was soo cool and welcomed me like I was a veteran. During my lift I kinda rushed myself through warm ups just cause I was somewhat nervious, I singled 500 and it felt pretty easy. Next I called for 530 witch would tie my personal best in the gym, lift off was bad and had to regroup and get back on the bench and still nailed it. After the 530 my forarms were soo pumped up I was having extream pain and was very hard for me to even make a fist. I came to hit 550 and that's what I called for next, my training partner was in my face screaming "this is what you came for" and Vinny had the crowd bucked up. Something came over me like and I said to myself this is your time to shine, approached the bench and I was zoned in "couldn't hear a thing" its just me and the weight. I hit the lift with pounds to spare and I was on cloud 9, so happy I succeded more for the fans and Animal then myself. I hate to let others down, and I did't so it was best feeling in world hitting 20lb PR in the Cage in front of all Animal fans. http://youtu.be/FrRbLgkss-g

JHOORNSTRA
03-05-13, 5:00 pm
I will go into further detail once I have time to put all my thoughts together about the past 4 days!!! This experience was even better then I ever thought it would be, from the second I walked in the Cage Thursday night to check out the new bench everyone was soo cool and welcomed me like I was a veteran. During my lift I kinda rushed myself through warm ups just cause I was somewhat nervious, I singled 500 and it felt pretty easy. Next I called for 530 witch would tie my personal best in the gym, lift off was bad and had to regroup and get back on the bench and still nailed it. After the 530 my forarms were soo pumped up I was having extream pain and was very hard for me to even make a fist. I came to hit 550 and that's what I called for next, my training partner was in my face screaming "this is what you came for" and Vinny had the crowd bucked up. Something came over me like and I said to myself this is your time to shine, approached the bench and I was zoned in "couldn't hear a thing" its just me and the weight. I hit the lift with pounds to spare and I was on cloud 9, so happy I succeded more for the fans and Animal then myself. I hate to let others down, and I did't so it was best feeling in world hitting 20lb PR in the Cage in front of all Animal fans. http://youtu.be/FrRbLgkss-g

Nice job man, looked solid, wish I could've been there, will be for sure next year. Can't wait.

JHO

Aggression
03-05-13, 5:03 pm

simply awesome.

J Wong
03-05-13, 6:46 pm

It's apparent that the cage/atmosphere has a huge impact on the lifters. Your 530 and 550 reps were faster than your 500. That was a sick lift.

Ragin Asian
03-05-13, 9:24 pm
GUNZ504 is now "officially" bitten by the Animal Cage bug now that his cherry has been popped. LOL!!!! JHOORNSTRA can attest to that. :) :) :) That would be so awesome to have you both in the Cage next year! You guys aren't aware that there are so many fans out there who look up to you, striving to be like you. For every fan that walked up to you at the Arnold, there are hundreds more who would do the same just couldn't be there in person.

It's addicting and something we all look forward to. Just being associated with everyone who gets to lift in the Cage, I consider myself the luckiest woman on the planet for being allowed to lift alongside my husband each year. So many top level female athletes hitting world records now are envious of me and I so wish they could share the Cage with you guys as well. That's only a fraction, there are far more top level male athletes wishing they were in you guys' shoes. Many of them have never experienced it, but yet they know it's electrifying and awesome just from your performances and sharing of experiences in there.

I'm so glad you enjoyed your first experience GUNZ - now you know why we all brag about it and will never forget each and every experience doing it.

Kowboy
03-05-13, 9:49 pm
I know I wasn't invited to lift to do something amazing but I still had the chance to lift in the cage. During the warmups I was getting nervous but I took a shot of the "monster" and I felt it kick in. I got a little shaky and I just tried to focus on the music and get my cool. The warmup wasn't what I would have normally done, I probably would have worked up to about 275 or 300 to get the feel for the weight. The weight was supposed to be 315 for reps which had me nervous so when it went up to 325 I got worried. I said fuck it, I get to lift in the cage and if I give it my best then that is all I can do. I can only imagine how many of the people outside were watching and wishing they were me. So I stepped up under the bar (never used a monolift) and the 325 felt decent on my back. I typically have a narrow stance and go as deep as I can. I am not sure if I did that in the cage as it went by so fucking fast. I hope I got deep enough for my standards. I just don't want to look back and regret it. I ended up with 7 or 8 reps, I dont remember. THe thing I remember the most is feeling my chest drop but looking at Marshall and him putting his finger up. I put my chest up and pushed. Not sure if he knew I could see him but that is what kept me going. I did get a little woozy after the first or second rep but when I heard Vinny G say rack it there was no way I could give up. I can say I gave it 100% and although I didn't hit 20 or 30 reps just wait. Next year I want to rep w/ 405 in pros vs bros. I WILL come back stronger. The experience of lifting in the cage was incredible.