PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on rep timing, TUT, and etc.

TBtaylor52
02-24-13, 3:45 pm
Sup guys, new member here. I used to be a person who would ALWAYS lift heavy and lift fast for strength and power. I'm starting to switch my training to more of a bodybuilding type and have been told so many times that it's about control, rep timing, time under tension, etc. What are your opinions on this? I can say I have been doing it more and have seen results and it's amazing how much less weight you are able to do and how much harder it is.

Big thing for me with this is the shot to the ego, but I know it's worth it.

korn_fed
02-24-13, 10:11 pm
Sup guys, new member here. I used to be a person who would ALWAYS lift heavy and lift fast for strength and power. I'm starting to switch my training to more of a bodybuilding type and have been told so many times that it's about control, rep timing, time under tension, etc. What are your opinions on this? I can say I have been doing it more and have seen results and it's amazing how much less weight you are able to do and how much harder it is.

Big thing for me with this is the shot to the ego, but I know it's worth it.

For me, everything is as simple as this: fast on the way up, slow on the way down. Fast on the way up to build explosive power and slam those fast twitch muscle fibers, slow on the way down to fill the muscle with blood, get a good stretch, and tear the shit out of every muscle fiber that I can. Painful, yet effective!

mm_tris
02-25-13, 5:31 am
Mate, check out this article "The Mechanisms of Muscle Hypertrophy and Their Application to Resistance Training".
http://img2.tapuz.co.il/forums/1_158907702.pdf

Pretty much sums it up... peer reviewed, good enough for me.
Just read the section on 'practical applications' (pg 2867) if you don't want to read the whole article its rather long.

Basic points I take from it;
- rep range 6-12
- 60-90 sec rest between sets
- 1-3 sec concentric rep, 2-4 second eccentric rep

That's bodybuilding in a nutshell... It's hard to expect to be able to do the same weights with this slower rep timing so be prepared to drop your weights and aim for the pump.

Good luck mate

TBtaylor52
02-25-13, 3:19 pm
Mate, check out this article "The Mechanisms of Muscle Hypertrophy and Their Application to Resistance Training".
http://img2.tapuz.co.il/forums/1_158907702.pdf

Pretty much sums it up... peer reviewed, good enough for me.
Just read the section on 'practical applications' (pg 2867) if you don't want to read the whole article its rather long.

Basic points I take from it;
- rep range 6-12
- 60-90 sec rest between sets
- 1-3 sec concentric rep, 2-4 second eccentric rep

That's bodybuilding in a nutshell... It's hard to expect to be able to do the same weights with this slower rep timing so be prepared to drop your weights and aim for the pump.

Good luck mate

Oh yeah I know trust me. I just wanted to see what other people think because I found either some other people believe in it or they don't. If I wanted to lift fast, I could do 225x20 on bench, really focusing and controlling it. Probably be lucky to get 12.