PDA

View Full Version : Altered Beast, Shukin and Trebin's Cage Experience

Kowboy
03-04-13, 10:57 am
We are going to use this thread to just review the cage and our experience. I had both of the guys crash w/ me at my place. We all got along great and it was such a fun weekend. More info to come!

Animal
03-04-13, 12:23 pm
We are going to use this thread to just review the cage and our experience. I had both of the guys crash w/ me at my place. We all got along great and it was such a fun weekend. More info to come!

Looking forward to your thoughts on what worked, and what we could improve upon, Trebin.

J-Dawg
03-04-13, 12:29 pm
Can't wait to hear how it was. This is gonna be good.

Christman
03-04-13, 12:34 pm
Can't wait for this.

Kowboy
03-04-13, 12:42 pm
As I work on the write up the one thing i can tell you is that I am completely friggin exhausted lol barely staying awake at work.

Animal
03-04-13, 12:44 pm
Can't wait for this.

Nice work managing The Shop lines. Hope being an intern was what you expected.

Kowboy
03-04-13, 12:45 pm

G had me heading up the lines while it was getting busy on Sunday. Def an interesting time lol people just follow others without question.

Animal
03-04-13, 12:47 pm
G had me heading up the lines while it was getting busy on Sunday. Def an interesting time lol people just follow others without question.

It's amazing that people are so comfortable getting in line, and willing to wait hours for a bag full of samples. I think we did a great job of making sure that the line moved quickly.

J-Dawg
03-04-13, 12:49 pm
As I work on the write up the one thing i can tell you is that I am completely friggin exhausted lol barely staying awake at work.

A lunch time nap is calling you, lol.

Kowboy
03-04-13, 12:59 pm
A lunch time nap is calling you, lol.

I wish lol already had lunch. Been crazy busy back at it already. I am taking the day off the gym to go home and hang w/ the kids. I really missed them this weekend.

Altered Beast
03-04-13, 3:06 pm

X2

*I'll be leaving a write up tomorrow. 5 hours of sleep for 3 nights and fighting off this STUPID cold for almost a week now has left me a little tired!

DON'T WORRY TREB! I was on day 4 or 5 of antibiotics before I arrived so you, your lovely wife or your insanely cute children were not exposed!

naturalguy
03-04-13, 4:49 pm
That was nice of you to put those guys up at your place. Thanks for all the help Treb

Christman
03-04-13, 5:25 pm

Thanks, enjoyed every minute of it.

Yeah, it was busy all day on Saturday like that. It would have been nice if I were as tall as you for that lol.

Kowboy
03-04-13, 8:30 pm
That was nice of you to put those guys up at your place. Thanks for all the help Treb

It was no problem at all, I would have done it for anyone on here. It was a blast, like 3 buddies just hanging out in college man. Such a great time.

Kowboy
03-04-13, 8:30 pm
X2

*I'll be leaving a write up tomorrow. 5 hours of sleep for 3 nights and fighting off this STUPID cold for almost a week now has left me a little tired!

DON'T WORRY TREB! I was on day 4 or 5 of antibiotics before I arrived so you, your lovely wife or your insanely cute children were not exposed!

My kids loved you guys man, they were sad when everyone left.

Phil800101
03-05-13, 10:04 pm
Looking forward to reading these.

Great to see you again Trebin, and huge congrats on winning the House's promo! I didn't catch your lift on Sunday, but I know it couldn't have been easy after killing it with Freakshow at the ABC. I probably wouldn't have been able to walk, let alone bust out some squats.

AB and Shukin, it was great to finally meet you guys. Shukin, those were some killer deads on Sunday!

Kowboy
03-05-13, 10:07 pm
Phil - it was good to see you again as well man. I ended up hitting 7 or 8 on the squats. I was totally fried man. When you mix in the strongman backstage work and then Freakshow tore me up man I just gave it 100% and I had nothing left when it was done.

Phil800101
03-05-13, 10:24 pm
Phil - it was good to see you again as well man. I ended up hitting 7 or 8 on the squats. I was totally fried man. When you mix in the strongman backstage work and then Freakshow tore me up man I just gave it 100% and I had nothing left when it was done.

Right on, that's what it's all about!

Kowboy
03-11-13, 12:02 pm
So here is the write up on my Arnold weekend. This is the second time at the Arnold for me since I joined up on the FORVM and really fell in to what we all call Animal. Most people don’t understand why we do what we do and beyond that they don’t understand why we all wear Animal gear and support the brand. It is beyond supplements, the FORVM is a place where we can come to make friends that will support you 100% from the beginning. I know that I wouldn’t be where I am now if it wasn’t for the FORVM. With that my week went like this:
The plan for the week looked like this:

Monday: Work and then gym
Tuesday: Work early, then drive to Akron w/ Domichi
Weds: Help Slater load truck and get home to meet Shukin
Thursday: hit convention center to unload truck, pick up AB at 4:20 and pick up Seath, Ivy and Higa at 7:55
Friday: Work Pro Strongman
Saturday: Work Pro Storngman
Sunday: Work the cage, lift at 3pm Pros vs Bros

Monday went as planned, it was hard to sleep I was so fucking excited for the cage. Went in to hit squats and see where I was at Rep wise.

Tuesday I went in to work early, around 0600 and it was pretty hard to make it through the day. I did my thing at work and drove home. I got to hang w/ the kids a little bit before Domichi got there. My wife and I finished up building my sons new toddler bed (getting too old ). Then it was time for us to make the drive to The Bodybuilder’s Gym in Akron. The drive started off ok but the weather sucked ass. It rained the entire trip and then once we got in to town a car was broke down in the middle lane and that slowed us down. Took a couple hours but we made it, finally at the ABC for the road trip.

Walked in to the gym wearing my Animal gear and spotted NG. He recognized me which is awesome, the Animal guys are like celebs to me so that is a great feeling. Took a quick look around and chatted w/ the House for a minute, chatted w/ NG and then hit the locker room. Got to meet firefist for the first time and we chatted a bit. At this point I didn’t really know what to hit so I just walked around and found a spot. I decided to hit overhead work. I used the fattest fat bar I have ever seen and worked up to 3x8 w/ 160. It was a bitch to clean….hit some bench, lat pulldowns and then some trap bar holds w/ 315. We followed up the gym w/ some Applebees. We hit it w/ Flash, Deanna, Chris P, Domichi, Firefist and myself (I hope I got everyone). We had a lot of fun at dinner and it was a pretty painful sleepy drive home.

Weds finally came and I woke up early. The plan was to leave around 9am to get to Lancaster (Slater’s Hardware) on time to help him load the truck. It ended up being a pretty long day. I got there and helped him work on the 379 log and getting it balanced. Then we moved on to loading the truck. There were a lot of guys that showed up to help but it was a pretty tiring day. Some of the more memorable items to load where the 379 log, 450lb Austrian Oak, 410 Stone and the amazing 540 Atlas stone. There was also the circus dumbbell that weighed as much as me, rogue mats and a ton of plates. After this ended Steve paid for Lunch at the Chinese buffet which was awesome. I was headed home now to shower up and wait on Shukin to get there. About 7 pm Shukin called to tell me he dropped his phone and it broke so I started looking up Apple stores and planned the trip. He mentioned going to Hooter’s earlier in the week but we decided to go to the Tilted Kilt (way better in both food and females). So Shukin finally got to the house and it was like we had met 1000 times. I showed him his room and we were off to the Apple store. It was just funny, chatting like we grew up in the same neighborhood our whole lives. Only find stuff like this on the FORVM. So we get to the Apple store and get his phone exchanged and then head off to dinner. Some amazing women led us in to eat. One made the comment on my camo Bodybuilder’s Gym shirt, I think she was mocking me because I am def not a bodybuilder. Oh well she was fun to look at and that was obviously her role at the Tilted Kilt. I ended up getting some 20 oz inferno fire out of your ass burger that was amazing. He also ordered us some scotch eggs that were delicious. We ended up staying up for a while that night. I told him how excited my daughter was to have him stay the night.

Thursday we woke up early and had some breakfast. Then we headed out to the convention center to help unload the truck. We didn’t really have a pass to get in or anything but stopped for some coffee and decided to say fuck it and walk through like we owned the place. We stopped by the Animal cage and chatted w/ Juggernaut for a second. I seen some of the other guys, said hi to Josh Landry (not sure he remember me lol). Then we went and had more coffee and waited on Slater. They were only a couple hours late lol we helped unload the truck as much as we could and then went off to pick up Altered Beast. It was a pretty quick ride to the airport, we were running behind so we told the best we would do our best. We went in to the passenger pickup and waited for him. We did drive a couple laps around the airport and then decided to park and wait. About 3 seconds in to that we were asked to pull forward so we did and we found the AB waiting. We picked him up did the introductions and again it was like we all knew each other. We took off and headed out to eat some food. We decided to stop by this old Air Force restaurant near base called the 94th Aero Squadron. It was a little more pricey than I expected but the food was amazing. I believe we all got the same thing. After that we headed to the house to unload AB’s stuff and then get ready to pick up Seath and Higa at the airport. We hit the grocery as well and they stocked my fridge.

We get to the airport a little late, bomb threat at the McDonald’s so we sat through that for a good 30 minutes or so. So we pushed through and we get word that Spoto might need a ride to the hotel….yeah um ok we can do that for sure! So we head up and luckily Shukin knows everyone better, Ben’s girlfriend (Ivy I think…sorry) noticed Shukin first and we were sitting there chatting. We waited a while and saw Ben and Spoto (largest man I have ever seen in person). Then eventually Higa came down and we all waited for bags and were off to eat. There was some discussion on where to go and I eventually just decided to take them to Rooster’s. It is a place similar to Hooter’s minus the girls and way better food. We had a blast catching up at dinner. After Rooster’s it was off to the hotel, I looked like a dumb ass because I made a wrong turn and then Shukin used SIRI and it took us way out of the way…being the local I realized I looked like an idiot. It’s all good lol I got them to the hotel. The next day was the busiest day and the first REAL DAY of the ARNOLD 2013…(to be continued)

Phil800101
03-11-13, 1:44 pm
Great stuff so far...I definitely agree about the Tilted Kilt, we often hit one for post-ABC food, ha ha.

Kowboy
03-11-13, 1:48 pm
Great stuff so far...I definitely agree about the Tilted Kilt, we often hit one for post-ABC food, ha ha.

You always get to see at least one group of Asian fella's getting a pic w/ all the ladies.

Shukin
03-11-13, 7:47 pm
Please forgive me for being late in writing this I have been quite sick since I returned home from the Arnold I actually just got back to working out today.

Where should I start?

I left South Jersey on Wednesday morning headed for Trebin's house. About a 9 Hour drive. I stopped for gas and to use the restroom two hours away from Trebin's and dropped my iPhone 5 in the parking lot, it shattered but luckily still worked. I called Trebin and asked him to find out if the Apple shop was open, please keep in mind we had not yet physically met. I picked him up at his house and we made it to the Mac shop with 20 minutes to spare. I was able to get a new phone and to learn abit about Trebin's plan for the Arnold.

We had dinner at the Tilted kilt and then went to his house where I met his wife and children. He had to work for Slater's Hardware the next morning setting up for the strongman contest at the Expo. We got there on time, they were like three hours late...I helped him unload the Austrian Oak and other strongman implements it was very cool to see this stuff firsthand. We stop by the cage and saw Josh, Josh, juggernaut and G-Diesel. Then headed to the airport to pick up the altered beast. It was freezing outside and he was wearing a sleeveless T-shirt clearly from Texas.
We went to some old military bunker place for a meal. We all ordered the same thing, we all agreed it was delicious. Then the indecision's began.

Shall we cook for tomorrow shall we not cook for tomorrow.

That same evening that we picked up altered beast we picked up Higa,Seath and his girlfriend at the airport and we met Eric Spoto, Altered beast was starstruck. In the car I used Google maps to find a place to eat Higa didn't trust me so he had to use his inferior android phone, result? His GPS said the same thing. We went to a wing joint called roosters it was 100 times better than I thought it would be.

We decided to buy food and cook. I think it was Trevins 11th Arnold, mine and altered beasts first. We had no idea what to expect. I surrendered to Trebin for I felt he knew better than I. Altered beast likes to go over and over the game plan perhaps over thinking, but hell I'm guilty of that often myself. Trying to leave the house in the morning was a difficult task Beast thanks Trevins wife ad nauseam for allowing us to stay, a class act the Beast is. We arrived at the expo, so much was happening.

I wanted to see the amateur strongman the pro strongman,Higa versus P-Diesel, Ben Seath, Richard Hawthorne, everything on the list. I had no idea it would all be happening in the same room. Up until this point I had only seen the live webcast of the cage it was much bigger and much more real in person. I will not even attempt to try and explain the energy, the feeling, the smell the taste of the cage. The cage is an experience....

Driving to and from The convention center and Trebin's house the three of us ran the gamut of conversation. We left no subject to speculation, no stone un-turn, we debated everything, there was clearly a mutual respect we never argued never yelled though we were very passionate. Having only lived in the states for almost 2 years now much of which we spoke about was new to me.......

To be continued

GUNS
03-11-13, 10:18 pm
Good writeup Shukin!