PDA

View Full Version : The Cage 2013

Firefist
03-04-13, 10:57 am
The 2013 Arnold Classic is over and good grief, has it been a weekend to remember. On my drive home, I was running through all the crazy stuff that happened all three days.

Friday started out with a fucking bang. P vs Higa had the most intensity I have seen in all my years. What a great way to kick things off. I went in and out of the cage to see what else was going on, but didn't miss Ben's squats and Gunz's benching. I really had only one goal in mind in leaving the cage and walking around the expo: meet Kai Greene. Wow, what a cool guy. Most people just got a picture and left but for some who wanted to chat, he was all ears. He talked to me about Asian culture and food for a good 5 minutes before I felt bad for the girls behind me. Walked around more and as I passed Rogue Fitness, I heard someone ask if I wanted learn how to clean. Turn around and here its Rich Froning, the Crossfit champion 2 years going. Now, I'm not into Crossfit at all, and I don't usually do olympic lifts, but this was a chance in a lifetime. He was super into the lesson, breaking down everything from start to finish for a free private session that lasted a good 15-20 minutes. Unreal. Finally made my way back to the cage. Saw old freinds like Mama D, phil, josh, TTL, chase, big C, flash, stolz, Z and many others, and met a good deal of new friends, shukin, trebin, AB, Dane, chicken, smoothballer, nix, razor.... the list goes on and on. Met Phil from corporate, and had a great convo with him about what we stand for and his awesome sweater. Get done for the day and on my way out I see Vinny G. We talk about his contest prep and after he asks if I wanna train. Well, who passes an opportunity to train with vinny? Make my way out of the convention center and get scooped up by mama D and get dropped off at metro. The place is teaming with a pro's. I get a light shoulder workout and meet up with Vinny who is finishing chest. Holy shit, has his physique changed.... he looked unreal. I'll make a long story short. Vinny destroyed my biceps and 4 days later, as I'm writing this, I still am a little tender. Learned so much from a veteran of the sport. Things only get better from here. I leave the gym with my boy D-nutz and an old schooler firsthorseman, to meet up with shukin, trebin, AB and a shit ton of others for some brazillian steakage. Get there and the group of 25+ is led by none other than Higa, P and Ben seath. We definitely got our money's worth, thats for sure. Made it back to my brothers appartment, unpacked my army cot, and passed out for the day.

Saturday. The craziest day of the expo and my day to intern. Get some breakfast at waffle house and head down there. Meet Hoss in the atrium and he gives me his pass to get in early. Was gonna be in charge of watching the Box, but Sam (who if you didn't meet, is awesome) wanted me to make shirts, so the head interns could get some time off. I manned the press with my man shortstack and nixor for the day. It was a great time to joke and talk to patrons about our brand. People were so suprised and appreciative of how much time and effort we took to make sure our letters and spacing were perfect. When asked how we could stand there and press shirts all day long, I'd always say, "we take pride in what we do and quality control means alot to us." Well, our customers were really cool with that. Some of the best names I made? Swoleverine and Tyrannasaurus Flex. I even managed to get the last name, Redelshaagenberger onto one of them. In working saturday, I missed a lot of the lifts, but I did get to see Sam byrd freak people out with his squats. Some shit went down with my girl's family so I had to change my plans around and leave the next day instead of monday. In doing so, I'd have to cut out of the ABC early to hang with my brother for a little extra time. Made it out to the ABC and chilled outside with Z, TC, the house and Freakshow, who is a hell of a nice guy. Got inside and made our toast. I find Garrett Gunz on a bench who immediately starts explaining things to me. Gets me on there and helps me out. Him and his buddy phillip were awesome in teaching me and my buddy Dman how to improve. I cut out early and pick up my brother at the library. We got a tradition of going to Piada's. Think of it as an italian chipotle, but fresher, more options and tastier. Hard to believe huh? I get back to his appt and we skype my mom and dad in taiwan who I wont see for another 3 months. Pass out, feet sore, hands tired but soul fulfilled.

Sunday morning my brother and I wake up early to eat breakfast and say our goodbyes. Get to the expo and hang out with my fellow Forvm members for most of the morning. I saw the shop was getting a little crazy and that there were 2 spots open on the line, so I asked J-Dawg if he wanted some more help. I really enjoyed selling our products to customers because I truly believe in em. In marketing, its one thing to know what you're selling, but if youre passionate about it too, its a win for you and youre customer. I ended work with pressing last minute shirts for customers and some special orders. I didn't even mention yet; I was selected by my boy TTL to represent team Universal in pros vs bros. I was so damn nervous the entire time. My biceps and grip were still shot from training with vinny and my hips were a little stiff from learning how to bench the night before. Whatever, someones gotta do it, might as well be me. Everyone is giving it their all on the bench and rack, putting in serious work and leaving it all out there. Finally its the deadlifters turns and I'm up first. I pull 20 which is about my max thus far, and still feel good. Pull about 5 or six more and feel tanked. Grind out 3 more from there and want one more. I sit in the hole for a second and pull up but the weight doesnt move. I try once more and the last thing I remember was looking up towards juggs and then I was looking at the ceiling. I dont remember much from here and I wasn't in the mindset to get the story after. I think either Big al or P diesel pulled me up and I sat on the bench for a good while. Threw up a little in my mouth, but that was to be expected. Team red did an awesome job and got the win. I hope I get picked in the future for a repeat cause I'm hungry for some more. After the expo ended, I stuck around with Tark to help the staff break down the booth, which was also a cool experience.

It's been a long post thus far but I wanna end with 3 things. This was my first year back after going through some shit, and the best Arnold Classic experience for me. No walking around for samples or shirts. Just true freinds and true respect for one another.

1. 3 years ago, I started getting signatures on my belt. This year, I got alot of new ones and big names at that. Spoto, efferding and lilliebrige (thanks D and smooth), rich hawethorne, higa, kai, froning, brandon lily, etc. Ill be adding more names next year.

2. After the Expo closed. I was sitting outside of the cage to get my shit together and not make a scene throwing up. Finally, i get up and someone asks, "you alright man?" I respond yeah, look up, and its Wrath with a big ass smile on his face. I explain what happened in my eyes and he asks me my name and tells me, "I can definitely respect that. People don't do that kinda shit anymore. I'm a fan." That's definitely the highlight of my weekend. The guy from the journey telling me he's a fan? Thats just crazy talk.

3. I'm gonna end it here. Thanks everyone for an awesome time. Staff- J-dawg, G, naturalguy, sam, rage, TTL, Aggs, T dirty and everyone else, yall are always a joy to work for. Thanks to the athletes for killin it in the cage and being awesome people we can all look up to. Finally, and especially, fellow Forvm members, it was an honor and a priveledge to chill and talk shop with all yall this year and I cant wait to kick it at ABC's in the future.

Until next time, this is Firefist, signing off.

deanna7272
03-04-13, 11:17 am
You know I got you!!! Not going to let a brother walk aimlessly around Cbus (I've done it myself....lol) and the belt signing was kinda cool because I have always admired Stan AND I will sitting with Lilliebrige's girl so it made it a little easier...lol. Derek said, "oh man, after THAT, you GOTTA get his too....lol Ta Da, done...

You are awesome... I love ya....and I was SO damn PROUD of you and your pulls on Sunday... Proud to call you one of my Ohio Boys!!! You are one of a kind!!!

Mama D...
((This SO cracks me up...lol))

Kowboy
03-04-13, 11:21 am
It was crazy man, you went all out 100% and did what you could. You stood there for a minute while we popped your belt off, then laid down. Took a min to get you up and we put you on the bench, gave you a box. I tried to hand you my water but they got you a gatorade. You went all out bro.

Also had a great time tearing up some Brazilian w/ ya man. I can still taste that steak w/ the cheese.

shortstack
03-04-13, 11:24 am
Nice write up brother. It was a blast working next to you and for some dmn reason you got all the weird names. Nice work also getting Italian Stallion to fit on a shirt as well. haha Sam said that we were like bartenders getting people in and out and chatting them up while we got it done.

It was great to meet you face to face and knock out a day of shirt making.

Jeremy

Razor
03-04-13, 11:40 am
Helluva write up brother. Awesome meeting you my man and spending a bit with you in the booth.

Appollonian
03-04-13, 11:43 am
Nice write-up here, hope all is well with the family.

The quality of the shirt is top-notch, thank you for the attention paid.

Animal
03-04-13, 12:22 pm
Thanks for all your help, Firefist. Hope the weekend was what you expected.

D-NUTZ
03-04-13, 12:59 pm
Great seeing you again dude. You busted ass on the DL.

naturalguy
03-04-13, 1:58 pm
You gave it your all Firefist and that's what it's all about It was great seeing you again and thanks for all the help

Firefist
03-04-13, 2:20 pm
Great seeing you again dude. You busted ass on the DL.

Thanks homie! You're lookin good all cut up. Always putting in the work. We gotta hit up an ABC together soon. I talked with Chase and theres happenings afoot in ohio/wv.

Thanks for all your help, Firefist. Hope the weekend was what you expected.

Glad to do it. And it definitely was! haha are you who I think you are?

Nice write-up here, hope all is well with the family.

The quality of the shirt is top-notch, thank you for the attention paid.

No problem man, glad to do it. Good to finally meet you. Hope solid dreams likes his shirt as well. Its getting better, I guess only time will tell.

Helluva write up brother. Awesome meeting you my man and spending a bit with you in the booth.

Thanks homie. No doubt man, some really good times workin in there.

Nice write up brother. It was a blast working next to you and for some dmn reason you got all the weird names. Nice work also getting Italian Stallion to fit on a shirt as well. haha Sam said that we were like bartenders getting people in and out and chatting them up while we got it done.

It was great to meet you face to face and knock out a day of shirt making.

Jeremy

Definitely man, it was a hell of a good time. We never missed a beat in there. Haha I know..... haha all the wierdos coming to me. Hope to see you in the near future brother.

It was crazy man, you went all out 100% and did what you could. You stood there for a minute while we popped your belt off, then laid down. Took a min to get you up and we put you on the bench, gave you a box. I tried to hand you my water but they got you a gatorade. You went all out bro.

Also had a great time tearing up some Brazilian w/ ya man. I can still taste that steak w/ the cheese.

Thanks man, I appreciate it. My god, that shit was so delicious. My only regret is that I didnt eat more of that rare-ish tenderloin that shukin was also all about. Those parmasean medalions were toast for sure though!

You know I got you!!! Not going to let a brother walk aimlessly around Cbus (I've done it myself....lol) and the belt signing was kinda cool because I have always admired Stan AND I will sitting with Lilliebrige's girl so it made it a little easier...lol. Derek said, "oh man, after THAT, you GOTTA get his too....lol Ta Da, done...

You are awesome... I love ya....and I was SO damn PROUD of you and your pulls on Sunday... Proud to call you one of my Ohio Boys!!! You are one of a kind!!!

Mama D...
((This SO cracks me up...lol))

Haha you are our mama! Thanks Dee! You know I gotta put on for our ohio crew! Always do, always will!

Firefist
03-04-13, 2:26 pm
You gave it your all Firefist and that's what it's all about It was great seeing you again and thanks for all the help

No doubt NG, like I said during breakdown, really glad to do it. Hope to make it up to jersey and trail with yall big boys soon.

Dman
03-04-13, 2:31 pm
Firefist yo my man great description of the crazzy week! It was good ta meet you and work in with you killin it on bench on Sat night with Gunz I'm so sore from that workout. Then I see u bust in your butt in the cage for bros vs pros, bro that's some motivation just watching you go past the point of failure made me wanna puke lol!

D-NUTZ
03-04-13, 3:03 pm
Ill make the drive for sure. Will be looking out for somethin.

swolkicker
03-04-13, 8:57 pm
Awsome write up man.. It was good to met u an awsome to see someone put out the effort u did on the deads, shit was sick...

Christman
03-04-13, 9:07 pm
It was really cool to meet you up in Akron and get to hang with you some down here in the cage. I wish I could have made it in to the cage on Sunday to see you pull.

J Wong
03-04-13, 10:22 pm
Although I couldn't see a thing except for Jesse Norris' 775 pull (I got there early and had a good place to stand), I could tell the atmosphere was awesome in there. It really motivated me to want to get better at lifting and perhaps lift in the cage in the future whether it is an exhibition lift or a pros vs bros type deal. Hopefully in 2014 I can make that happen. Honestly, the expo really wasn't my thing with all the booths, people, etc...but the cage was the only thing I enjoyed seeing (or trying to see!).

Firefist
03-04-13, 10:22 pm
Firefist yo my man great description of the crazzy week! It was good ta meet you and work in with you killin it on bench on Sat night with Gunz I'm so sore from that workout. Then I see u bust in your butt in the cage for bros vs pros, bro that's some motivation just watching you go past the point of failure made me wanna puke lol!

Awesome work on the bench man, you put up monster numbers for your size and weight man. Good meeting you.

Ill make the drive for sure. Will be looking out for somethin.

Hell yeah brother.

Awsome write up man.. It was good to met u an awsome to see someone put out the effort u did on the deads, shit was sick...

Hey brother. Good to meet you as well. Thanks for the kind words. I was out of it while we were talking haha hope to see ya sometime soon.

It was really cool to meet you up in Akron and get to hang with you some down here in the cage. I wish I could have made it in to the cage on Sunday to see you pull.

Dude, how did I miss you in my writeup? Really glad I got to meet ya brother, youre a really good guy.

Big C
03-04-13, 10:32 pm
Great job on the pulling Sunday brother. I know I missed it but I knew you would tear it up. Glad you got your chance to shine.

Nix0r
03-04-13, 11:16 pm
It was great to meet you, man. So. Many. Shirts.

Dman
03-04-13, 11:24 pm
Awesome work on the bench man, you put up monster numbers for your size and weight man. Good meeting you.

Hell yeah brother.

Hey brother. Good to meet you as well. Thanks for the kind words. I was out of it while we were talking haha hope to see ya sometime soon.

Dude, how did I miss you in my writeup? Really glad I got to meet ya brother, youre a really good guy.

Thanks my brotha haha I try n kill the weight even tho I ain't the biggest around lol!

Firefist
03-05-13, 10:16 am
Great job on the pulling Sunday brother. I know I missed it but I knew you would tear it up. Glad you got your chance to shine.

Thanks homie, you were there in spirit for sure. Just tryin to do the Ohio crew proud.

It was great to meet you, man. So. Many. Shirts.

For sure man, great to meet you too. We put in some serious work. Would sign up for the press next to you again next year at the drop of a dime.

Thanks my brotha haha I try n kill the weight even tho I ain't the biggest around lol!

You sure do man. Hope to see you there next year!

Firefist
03-05-13, 10:25 am
Although I couldn't see a thing except for Jesse Norris' 775 pull (I got there early and had a good place to stand), I could tell the atmosphere was awesome in there. It really motivated me to want to get better at lifting and perhaps lift in the cage in the future whether it is an exhibition lift or a pros vs bros type deal. Hopefully in 2014 I can make that happen. Honestly, the expo really wasn't my thing with all the booths, people, etc...but the cage was the only thing I enjoyed seeing (or trying to see!).

Shit, you were there?!?!

Damn, missed you bro. But yeah, at your rate, you should be goin head to head with those guys now or in no time. Keep training hard man, youre a damn workhorse.

J Wong
03-05-13, 1:01 pm
Shit, you were there?!?!

Damn, missed you bro. But yeah, at your rate, you should be goin head to head with those guys now or in no time. Keep training hard man, youre a damn workhorse.

Yeah, I actually saw you there (your name was on the back of your shirt) but you were pretty far away. Shit, one of the reasons I want to be able to lift in the cage is so I can hang out there and watch with a good view!

smoothballer
03-05-13, 8:38 pm
Great to see you again bro. We will definitely have to hit up more Ohio ABC's and sling some iron together. And awesome job giving it literally your all in the deadlift.

Phil800101
03-05-13, 9:42 pm
Great to see you again my man...even if I forgot for a minute there, ha ha. You really set the tone on deadlifts Sunday afternoon, that was some hardcore shit!

Firefist
03-06-13, 3:42 pm
Great to see you again my man...even if I forgot for a minute there, ha ha. You really set the tone on deadlifts Sunday afternoon, that was some hardcore shit!

Haha yeah dude, I was like COME ONNNNNN really?!?! Thanks brother, I knew I had to step it up with the big boys in there. Any chance you know if someone got it on video?

Great to see you again bro. We will definitely have to hit up more Ohio ABC's and sling some iron together. And awesome job giving it literally your all in the deadlift.

Thanks man! And for sure. My girlfriends sister lives in cleveland, so we should definitely make some good sessions happen.

Yeah, I actually saw you there (your name was on the back of your shirt) but you were pretty far away. Shit, one of the reasons I want to be able to lift in the cage is so I can hang out there and watch with a good view!

Next time for sure then!

Wrath
03-07-13, 6:48 pm
The 2013 Arnold Classic is over and good grief, has it been a weekend to remember. On my drive home, I was running through all the crazy stuff that happened all three days.

Friday started out with a fucking bang. P vs Higa had the most intensity I have seen in all my years. What a great way to kick things off. I went in and out of the cage to see what else was going on, but didn't miss Ben's squats and Gunz's benching. I really had only one goal in mind in leaving the cage and walking around the expo: meet Kai Greene. Wow, what a cool guy. Most people just got a picture and left but for some who wanted to chat, he was all ears. He talked to me about Asian culture and food for a good 5 minutes before I felt bad for the girls behind me. Walked around more and as I passed Rogue Fitness, I heard someone ask if I wanted learn how to clean. Turn around and here its Rich Froning, the Crossfit champion 2 years going. Now, I'm not into Crossfit at all, and I don't usually do olympic lifts, but this was a chance in a lifetime. He was super into the lesson, breaking down everything from start to finish for a free private session that lasted a good 15-20 minutes. Unreal. Finally made my way back to the cage. Saw old freinds like Mama D, phil, josh, TTL, chase, big C, flash, stolz, Z and many others, and met a good deal of new friends, shukin, trebin, AB, Dane, chicken, smoothballer, nix, razor.... the list goes on and on. Met Phil from corporate, and had a great convo with him about what we stand for and his awesome sweater. Get done for the day and on my way out I see Vinny G. We talk about his contest prep and after he asks if I wanna train. Well, who passes an opportunity to train with vinny? Make my way out of the convention center and get scooped up by mama D and get dropped off at metro. The place is teaming with a pro's. I get a light shoulder workout and meet up with Vinny who is finishing chest. Holy shit, has his physique changed.... he looked unreal. I'll make a long story short. Vinny destroyed my biceps and 4 days later, as I'm writing this, I still am a little tender. Learned so much from a veteran of the sport. Things only get better from here. I leave the gym with my boy D-nutz and an old schooler firsthorseman, to meet up with shukin, trebin, AB and a shit ton of others for some brazillian steakage. Get there and the group of 25+ is led by none other than Higa, P and Ben seath. We definitely got our money's worth, thats for sure. Made it back to my brothers appartment, unpacked my army cot, and passed out for the day.

Saturday. The craziest day of the expo and my day to intern. Get some breakfast at waffle house and head down there. Meet Hoss in the atrium and he gives me his pass to get in early. Was gonna be in charge of watching the Box, but Sam (who if you didn't meet, is awesome) wanted me to make shirts, so the head interns could get some time off. I manned the press with my man shortstack and nixor for the day. It was a great time to joke and talk to patrons about our brand. People were so suprised and appreciative of how much time and effort we took to make sure our letters and spacing were perfect. When asked how we could stand there and press shirts all day long, I'd always say, "we take pride in what we do and quality control means alot to us." Well, our customers were really cool with that. Some of the best names I made? Swoleverine and Tyrannasaurus Flex. I even managed to get the last name, Redelshaagenberger onto one of them. In working saturday, I missed a lot of the lifts, but I did get to see Sam byrd freak people out with his squats. Some shit went down with my girl's family so I had to change my plans around and leave the next day instead of monday. In doing so, I'd have to cut out of the ABC early to hang with my brother for a little extra time. Made it out to the ABC and chilled outside with Z, TC, the house and Freakshow, who is a hell of a nice guy. Got inside and made our toast. I find Garrett Gunz on a bench who immediately starts explaining things to me. Gets me on there and helps me out. Him and his buddy phillip were awesome in teaching me and my buddy Dman how to improve. I cut out early and pick up my brother at the library. We got a tradition of going to Piada's. Think of it as an italian chipotle, but fresher, more options and tastier. Hard to believe huh? I get back to his appt and we skype my mom and dad in taiwan who I wont see for another 3 months. Pass out, feet sore, hands tired but soul fulfilled.

Sunday morning my brother and I wake up early to eat breakfast and say our goodbyes. Get to the expo and hang out with my fellow Forvm members for most of the morning. I saw the shop was getting a little crazy and that there were 2 spots open on the line, so I asked J-Dawg if he wanted some more help. I really enjoyed selling our products to customers because I truly believe in em. In marketing, its one thing to know what you're selling, but if youre passionate about it too, its a win for you and youre customer. I ended work with pressing last minute shirts for customers and some special orders. I didn't even mention yet; I was selected by my boy TTL to represent team Universal in pros vs bros. I was so damn nervous the entire time. My biceps and grip were still shot from training with vinny and my hips were a little stiff from learning how to bench the night before. Whatever, someones gotta do it, might as well be me. Everyone is giving it their all on the bench and rack, putting in serious work and leaving it all out there. Finally its the deadlifters turns and I'm up first. I pull 20 which is about my max thus far, and still feel good. Pull about 5 or six more and feel tanked. Grind out 3 more from there and want one more. I sit in the hole for a second and pull up but the weight doesnt move. I try once more and the last thing I remember was looking up towards juggs and then I was looking at the ceiling. I dont remember much from here and I wasn't in the mindset to get the story after. I think either Big al or P diesel pulled me up and I sat on the bench for a good while. Threw up a little in my mouth, but that was to be expected. Team red did an awesome job and got the win. I hope I get picked in the future for a repeat cause I'm hungry for some more. After the expo ended, I stuck around with Tark to help the staff break down the booth, which was also a cool experience.

It's been a long post thus far but I wanna end with 3 things. This was my first year back after going through some shit, and the best Arnold Classic experience for me. No walking around for samples or shirts. Just true freinds and true respect for one another.

1. 3 years ago, I started getting signatures on my belt. This year, I got alot of new ones and big names at that. Spoto, efferding and lilliebrige (thanks D and smooth), rich hawethorne, higa, kai, froning, brandon lily, etc. Ill be adding more names next year.

2. After the Expo closed. I was sitting outside of the cage to get my shit together and not make a scene throwing up. Finally, i get up and someone asks, "you alright man?" I respond yeah, look up, and its Wrath with a big ass smile on his face. I explain what happened in my eyes and he asks me my name and tells me, "I can definitely respect that. People don't do that kinda shit anymore. I'm a fan." That's definitely the highlight of my weekend. The guy from the journey telling me he's a fan? Thats just crazy talk.

3. I'm gonna end it here. Thanks everyone for an awesome time. Staff- J-dawg, G, naturalguy, sam, rage, TTL, Aggs, T dirty and everyone else, yall are always a joy to work for. Thanks to the athletes for killin it in the cage and being awesome people we can all look up to. Finally, and especially, fellow Forvm members, it was an honor and a priveledge to chill and talk shop with all yall this year and I cant wait to kick it at ABC's in the future.

Until next time, this is Firefist, signing off.

that lift was all heart man, i was impressed had to shake ur hand

Firefist
03-08-13, 12:14 pm
that lift was all heart man, i was impressed had to shake ur hand

Thanks for that Frank. Coming from guys on your level, those words mean a lot to me.