PDA

View Full Version : Soy Milk

J-Dawg
01-14-07, 10:20 pm
Being lactose intolerant sucks but over the years I've switched from milk to soy milk (just as the base liquid for my shakes). Anyone else here use soy milk as a part of their shakes?

Hothands
01-15-07, 12:41 pm
I use soy exclusively due to a food allergy. I'm not lactose intolerant but am allergic to the actual milk protien.

I drink soy milk and soy protien powder(which is quite hard to find). I was originally told that only women use soy and that it promotes estrogen....but have since found that to be a myth.

Anyone else know if it does anything to a person's T/E levels?

Wasteland
01-15-07, 2:37 pm
No never used it...i have wanted to try it just to see what it taste like..does it have a decent taste or is it not so great

Taste isn't so bad--but it definitely doesn't taste like milk. I guess it's an acquired taste.

G Diesel
01-15-07, 2:58 pm
Never had it, but I have no doubt it has health benefits... I however like Moo Cow white milk, though I'm sure I too am to a degree lactose intolerant. Like Lewis Black said, "They call it soy milk because they can't call it what it really is because no one would drink it. It's bean juice. You know how I know it isn't milk? Because there is no bean titty." Classic. Peace, G

pirtnal
01-15-07, 3:00 pm
No never used it...i have wanted to try it just to see what it taste like..does it have a decent taste or is it not so great

My lady friends use it,it's suppose to be good for PMS

J-Dawg
01-15-07, 6:23 pm

Taste is fine to me... kinda has a nutty flavor.
To me soy is just another source of protein... has high amounts of critical cluster amino's and is breaksdown slowly, making it a great bedtime protein. I usually use the soy milk as a base, throw in some liquid eggs, some whey protein etc. Solid balanced shake.

WaNNaBeSoLDieR
01-15-07, 8:31 pm
I switched to soy milk when I moved to Texas...8th Continent's Light Vanilla is great...as is their Light Chocolate. Low cal and seriously has a great taste. I go through about 3-4 containers of this a week...

Bam Bam
01-24-07, 7:45 pm
Certain protein powders give me bad gas except when mixed with soymilk. I have found that every brand tastes different. Definately a good alternative to milk IMO.

J-Dawg
01-24-07, 11:17 pm
I switched to soy milk when I moved to Texas...8th Continent's Light Vanilla is great...as is their Light Chocolate. Low cal and seriously has a great taste. I go through about 3-4 containers of this a week...

Haha I thought I was the only one. I like 8th Continent and Silk. I got a great deal on Silk and have 15 containers in my fridge at the moment. Got 'em for $1.25/ half gallon. Normally they run about 3 and change. Can't beat that. I go through 3-4 a week as well.

Tenacity24-7
01-24-07, 11:51 pm
Like some of my brothers that have posted, I am lactose intolerant. Have been using soy milk for years now. Silk is sold as a three pack at Sam's Wholesale Club for $6 and some change. I use the vanilla flavor when I mix it with my protein. Mixed with Muscle Milk: straight up liquid crack!! Can get enough of the stuff. Not to mention, if you don't open it, soy milk has shelf life like a set of batteries (just kidding, but for real, it can sit for a couple of months).

Big Jimmer
01-24-07, 11:54 pm
Silk here too, my wife says humans shouldnt drink cows milk so we get Silk. I'd rather have it than regular milk, now.

Toni69
01-25-07, 6:06 am
I like the Vanilla and Chocolate...Rice Milk is not too bad either. They make ice cream too!

Shadow
01-25-07, 6:31 am
Im not lactose intolerant but i do drink Chocolate and cocunut soy milk..ice clod..mmmnn good!! I get mine from a chinese supermarket in town...absolute quality!! You guys shud try some tofu..its made from soya..and its amazing when cooked in a real hot sauce!! Its a pretty good protein source...not a great source but good enough!!

lean machine
01-25-07, 11:02 am
i dont use soy milk coz its full of fat, n i read somewhere it increases estrogen production. i use skimmed milk, it does it for me

Giant Killer
01-25-07, 11:19 am
soy milk is definitely loaded with good vitamins and nutrients- Silk Enhanced in the light blue container has some even more extra good stuff in it I believe
my girl is lactose intolerant and when I'm mixin' shakes at her house I use it--I think it would especially be good in the AM opposed to regular milk because of its more highly loaded nutrients
also as far as estrogen production is considered, you would have to like inject pure soybean extract (disclaimer:thats a joke) or eat a mound of soybeans at each of your meals to effect this change--in other words, don't worry about it if you have to drink soy milk

J-Dawg
01-25-07, 11:37 am
i dont use soy milk coz its full of fat, n i read somewhere it increases estrogen production. i use skimmed milk, it does it for me

Depending on which brand you get, there's actually not much fat. As for the increased estrogen production, there ain't much to support this... might be beneficial to women but studies show no harmful effects for men. Just don't drink a bloody gallon a day and there's no worries. It just goes to show you the stigma people have put on soy milk.

J-Dawg
01-25-07, 11:37 am
soy milk is definitely loaded with good vitamins and nutrients- Silk Enhanced in the light blue container has some even more extra good stuff in it I believe
my girl is lactose intolerant and when I'm mixin' shakes at her house I use it--I think it would especially be good in the AM opposed to regular milk because of its more highly loaded nutrients
also as far as estrogen production is considered, you would have to like inject pure soybean extract (disclaimer:thats a joke) or eat a mound of soybeans at each of your meals to effect this change--in other words, don't worry about it if you have to drink soy milk

Exactly bro, good post.

marathe
01-25-07, 1:45 pm
i'm personally anti-soy and have read a sufficient volume of material to belive that its a poision. but shit people are misinformed all the time.

didn't come here to rant.

came to contribute a lewis black line that suits the subject:

'its soy juice, not soy milk. Why? Because there's no soy tit."

man's a genius.

The Dag
01-25-07, 11:08 pm
Never had it, but I have no doubt it has health benefits... I however like Moo Cow white milk, though I'm sure I too am to a degree lactose intolerant. Like Lewis Black said, "They call it soy milk because they can't call it what it really is because no one would drink it. It's bean juice. You know how I know it isn't milk? Because there is no bean titty." Classic. Peace, G

Milk that comes from a bean? I thought soy was the name of a cow....Just playin

marathe
01-26-07, 9:58 am
disregard previous post. get so excited to quote mr. black that i neglect to notice that someone else already did.

still funny.

Hothands
02-09-07, 10:22 am

Thanks for the info, bro! Glad I don't have to worry about growing breasts from the stuff.

Dredge
02-09-07, 2:20 pm
I don't drink soy milk but I do get alot of soy in my diet bein mostly vegetarian (I eat fish 2-3 time a week).

I did do a stretch of eating Vegan where I drank a shitpot of soy milk though.

The chocolate stuff was desert.

benmatthews90
02-11-07, 10:23 am
i read somewhere that soy contains estrogen like isoflavones (spelling?) that imitate estrogen in your body and make you a bit of a nancy, not a lot mind you but its not gonna help

JBone
05-28-07, 11:27 pm
soy milk. plus or minus?

eblnyc
05-29-07, 8:38 am
soy is a great source of protein but watch the carbs in some products they tend to be high! soy nuts are awesome!

ct italian 1
05-29-07, 9:53 am
I read somewhere that soy can promote increased estrogen levels. Not quite sure how valid that is because I haven't done any further research on the subject.

05-29-07, 12:25 pm
I read somewhere that soy can promote increased estrogen levels. Not quite sure how valid that is because I haven't done any further research on the subject.

If you are not certain of the validity of your statements, why make them? Make no mistake--I'm not trying to be hostile or attacking you. Not at all. I'm just wondering.

Anyway, I think a little soy milk is fine, depending on your goals. As someone else said, just watch the carbs and sugars if that's something you're paying attention to.

crypto
05-29-07, 12:32 pm

i learnt that too in nutrition class last semester.

TufffGuY
05-29-07, 12:34 pm

I heard the same thing, I asked my doc. about it and he said that soy milk can decrease the size of your testicales and can make you develop breast, so im not taking my chances. But who knows thats just one doctor.

05-29-07, 12:39 pm
If all science agreed, then we'd still believe the earth was flat. The point is, science is in a perpetual state of flux. You show me a study to "prove" one thing, and I'll show you another to "disprove" it. Be diligent. Educate yourself to the best of your ability. Think for yourself.

mark_b
05-29-07, 3:20 pm
My $0.02 --

Varying your protein sources is probably one of the best things you can do.

Why not keep your body guessing and feed it all sorts of healthy sources of protein, etc.

Unless you're on a "Wrath"-esque contest prep diet regimen, I would recommend (purely from personal experience), trying out various things.

I love soy milk -- I add it to my oatmeal, or drink it from the carton everytime I get a craving -- however, you do not need all the extra carbs and sugars from the sweetened stuff. Buy yourself pure, unsweetened soy milk. I buy the stuff that is fortified with omega's and fibre because I know I don't eat enough during the day to supply all these essentials.

And if it don't work for you, then go back to regular dairy.

Just a thought. Very little in the bodybuilding world is written in stone except for the basics.

Sugarbutt
05-29-07, 3:26 pm
Find 8th Continent's Light Vanilla soy milk. Low cal, low carb, and tastes great. I mix my protein shakes with it...

Preston
05-29-07, 3:27 pm
soy milk. plus or minus?

Welll, if you're hypoglycemic you have to watch out for the sugars in that stuff, most times it's unusually high.

Gotta give it some taste some how ;)

The "lowfat" or "low" as they call it is quite delicious, actually.

-Preston[ANIMAL]

WSUlifter48
05-29-07, 4:45 pm
By the looks of things dude, its your call on the soy milk. Personally I don't care for the stuff, but then again I did grow up next to a dairy farm. As for the estrogen levels. Soy milk contains high levels of phytoestrogen which is essentiately plant estrogen (1). I would imagine this is why a diet high in soy protein is not necessarily recommended unless you are a woman. Of course this could be due to the fact that people replace their protein intake with just plant proteins, which would eliminate almost all testerone intake from animal products and hence cause a raise in estrogen levels. It may also be possible for your body to catabolize phytoestrogen to estrogen, but I'm not familiar with the exact mechanism and I was unable to find any research (plus I gotta go to class). To date there isn't enough research on the subject. What I say though is people have been eating meat for thousands of years and soybeans were eaten by animals...sooo i don't eat the stuff. but whatever floats your boat.

1. Protein, Hardvard School of Public Health. Copyright 2007 President and Fellows of Hardvard College. i don't think this is the right citation but who cares this ain't english

iron junkie
11-19-07, 1:53 pm
Guys a simple question Soya milk Good or bad what do you think. Protein Shakes with soya on a cut for example ??

simpleguy
11-19-07, 2:09 pm
Guys a simple question Soya milk Good or bad what do you think. Protein Shakes with soya on a cut for example ??

I'm not a fan of soy because it's believed it reduces testotesterone, but who knows, I don't know so much about it to say whether it's bad or good

Wasteland
11-19-07, 2:12 pm
In moderation, should be fine.

mex.i.can
11-19-07, 3:05 pm
i was doing research to find a substitute for milk and read in a scientific study that consuming too many soy products can lead to elevated estrogen levels. i opted to go with "rice dreams" rice milk instead. i bought the little "rice dreams" juice box individual servings and have one once in a while with a meal.

victore
11-19-07, 6:53 pm
The amount of estrogen soy produces in negligible unless that is your only protein source and your packin' it in. Actually a little estrogen is good because it helps expedite healing. The real problem with soy is that it is a very complex protein and hard on the digestive tract for most people. listen to your body. Do you bloat or get gassy when you take in soy, then it is no good for you. Almond milk without added sugar is a great option. It is much easier to digest and has good protein, calcium and that magic cal-mag combination that helps muscles recover from exertion.

Northman
11-19-07, 7:12 pm
The amount of estrogen soy produces in negligible unless that is your only protein source and your packin' it in. Actually a little estrogen is good because it helps expedite healing. The real problem with soy is that it is a very complex protein and hard on the digestive tract for most people. listen to your body. Do you bloat or get gassy when you take in soy, then it is no good for you. Almond milk without added sugar is a great option. It is much easier to digest and has good protein, calcium and that magic cal-mag combination that helps muscles recover from exertion.

Not only that, but almond milk tastes awesome! I use it in my coffee too.

GoldieLocks
11-20-07, 2:52 am
boys, big or small, of any age, in my opinion, should not consume soy. women too. darn health fads...it's on it's way out again...

everyone should do the research.

SG

adidas
11-20-07, 3:11 am
bleck!...no soy for me.

Macrobolic
11-20-07, 3:34 am

Soy protein is good for you, but unless it specially prepared, the Amino Acid profile is one of the worst.

However, there is one company in particular who makes a weight gainer that has quite a bit of soy, but they specially process it so that the amino acid profile is awesome.

Also, with respect to the estrogen debate, soy does contain isoflavones that have weak estrogenic activity. The good thing about these is they take up the receptors so that stronger estrogens cannot bind to them and cause unwanted effects in the body.

The debate really is still up in the air, but when I have ingested soy, I've never seen/felt larger estrogenic effects as a result.

born0withno0soul
11-20-07, 3:39 am
just drink regular milk dude. the cow is the bodybuilder and powerlifters best friend

twisted_steel
11-20-07, 7:54 am
I'm not a fan of soy because it's believed it reduces testotesterone, but who knows, I don't know so much about it to say whether it's bad or good

I frequently hear the same thing from some fitness professionals. Not sure how close that is to the truth but at one time I enjoyed some soya milk for a while and didnt notice anything specific but who knows. I say in moderation or in balance, it should not affect you negatively.

Renji007
11-20-07, 10:39 pm
I enjoy soy milk for cutting (in moderation) but I have to opt for the Cows milk man. Just get some fat free shit and your good to go.

J-Dawg
11-21-07, 7:54 am
Within moderation, I believe soy milk is ok. I use it as a base for my protein shakes as I'm lactose intolerant and actually don't mind the taste of soy. I would, however, limit the amount you consume and wouldn't suggest it to be your main source of protein.

Pandora
10-22-09, 12:03 pm
Not only that, but almond milk tastes awesome! I use it in my coffee too.

I prefer to use Almond milk too. I dont drink milk and I didnt like soy milk as my alternative but Almond milk does the job pleasantly.

JBlackapple
10-29-09, 10:55 pm
i have discovered almond milk and like it better than Silk...but its so damn expensive.... i get it for 2$ a quart