PDA

View Full Version : The Cage 2013: My Experience, Episode 1

Freakshowelite
03-08-13, 2:39 pm
I will give a better description about my experience in the cage specifically very soon, but for now heres my write up of the whole weekend:

"You Never Will"

This past weekend I had the great opportunity to realize one of my biggest powerlifting dreams and goals. When I started training I had come across a video of these guys training in a cage. I thought it was one of the most badass things I had ever seen. After some investigation I found that it was the Animal Cage at the Arnold Classic expo. My impression was that this is wear the freakiest of the freaky, the strongest of the strong get a special invite to come train in. I said from early on that I was going to squat in that cage someday. Someone to whom I trained with, and sort of looked up to told me I never would make it to the Cage. There's a difference between when someone you don't know doubts you, but when someone you look up to doubts you it either crushes you, or lights a fuse that will never be extinguished until it hits that dynamite. A few years pass and I get to the point where a 1000lb squat is a real possibility later on my future. I made the mistake of expressing to this same person my goals of squatting a grand at the Arnold Classic. Again this person told me that wouldn't happen. From then on it was my mission to squat a grand in the Animal Cage.

In late November I was contacted by Animal about their interest in me lifting in the Animal Cage. I can't express the feelings I felt at that moment, reading that email. Everything outside of the gym was a struggle, but in the gym I could focus and stay on track. Something went right, something went to plan, I said I was going to do something and I did it. It was definitely a new feeling to experience. I told them how much I loved Animal, the image, the lifestyle, and the merch. About a week later I was contacted again and propositioned with becoming a fully sponsored athlete. They also asked me what I wanted to do in the Cage, and I responded, "I am going to squat a grand!"

Columbus:
Three months later I am squished on a plane to Columbus for the Arnold Classic Expo! I arrived on Thursday afternoon and headed towards London for an interview with my very good friend Steve Colescott with EliteFTS. Steve was interviewing some of the Animal athletes. The interview went well and I got the great privilege to see all my friends at the compound and office, John Meadows, and the Ladewski's. I was interviewed with Eric Schwartz, Erik Frankhouser, and Josh Halliday. I went right from London to catch a meal with my great friends Rob Luyando, Scott Cartwright, and Therese Janc. At the dinner I had the great privilage to meet Kathy and Bobby Fields, Ed Motha Fuckin Coan, Steve Denison, and Scott Cartwright's son Jonah and girlfriend Nikki Crapsasomething (Crappotta). Bed time.

Friday:
And it BEGINS! The expo starts today. I can't begin to express how nervous, scared, overwhelmed, and excited I was. I had breakfest with Rob, got to meet Mark Bell's chubby little self, well not so chubby anymore. I walked into the expo and immediately see the Animal Cage. If you have ever been there you know you can see that thing from anywhere in the expo. Every step I took closer to the cage, the more my anxiety rose. Crossing that threshold from where the spectators stand, and where the athletes enter was a huge deal to me. I stepped in the Cage and just stared. It was everything I dreamed of and more! I really didn't know anyone that I would be spending the next three days with, just another thing to be nervous about. I'm socially akward haha. If we just meet and the conversation goes cold and I leave, its because I am extremely uncomfortable and need to get away haha. So if I met you this weekend and I took off just shortly into the conversation, thats why haha. My Animal family started to roll into the Cage and I started to get acquainted. I met so many great people from sponsors, employees, loyal forvm members, and even suits. Being I had no clue who anyone was (we hadn't met), and I was a powerlifter at a bodybuilding expo, I had nothing to do socially. So I just went into meet mode and spotted and plate loaded the whole day for all of the exhibitions. After the expo was over we were all pretty hungry. I met up with my wife, and close friends that had come up for the expo and to support me for dinner. Joey Smith and his dixie crew joined up for dinner as well. Bed time.

Saturday:
Saturday was kind of the "big day" at the expo. Its the busiest day at the expo, so Animal showcased the biggest exhibitions that day. I started the day with getting interviewed by Animal, kind of a get to know me type thing. Then I had to rush down cuz Hoss was squatting his exhibition and there was no way I was missin that. On the way down I was stopped by a guy who wanted to photograph me. It was a photographer for Sports Illustrated! Even if they don't use the pics they took of me I am still jacked they tooks pics! I got back in time to help Hoss get ready. He ended up doubling 1025 with this mini bands that looked as old as he was, I can't imagine they really did anything. Its fun watching Scott squat, he's super fast and has alot of intensity. Some of the crazy lifts from the day:

Spoto 700lb raw bench
Lilliebridge 906 raw squat
Efferding 875 raw squat
Seath 500 raw squat for mid teens reps
Lilly 750 raw pull no belt
Griffin 550 raw bench
Willis 835 raw dead
Hawthorne 625 pull for reps
Smith 700 raw squat for 10ish
Norris 775 raw pull@19yrs old

And so many others!

Saturday night was the National Animal Barbell Club event. Over 240 people showed up to train. It was a sight to say the least! After being fed, and hanging out with new and current friends it was time for bed.

Sunday:
OH SHIT. Sunday was when my lift was scheduled to take place. I have to admit it sucked having to think about and be scared the whole weekend because my lift was on Sunday. I woke up early, tried to have some breakfast. I managed half a bowl of oatmeal, two bites of a banana, and less than half of a bagel. That was probably the most physically and mentally paralyzed I have ever been. Hands down more nervous than any meet I had ever done. My wife had even brought me a Firehouse sub, my absolute favorite. We don't have Firehouse in ND. I got two bites in and wanted to vomit. I help eat bite in my mouth for like 4 minutes trying to swallow without gagging. It would have been the worst experience in my life, if it wasn't one of the best at the same time haha. Ya I'm a trainwreck!

Watching Chad Smith do his thing helped my keep my mind of things, a little, and let me focus on my task at hand. It was finally my time to start warming up. As soon as I started warming up my nerves calmed, just enough to function, but not much. Warm ups felt great. The squat bar we used said Texas on it, but I don't think it was a Texas Squat because that thing bowed and whipped like mad from 600lbs and up. Everything up to my last warm up of 935 moved great! Time for 1005! I had them crank my music (100 Ways To Hate remix by Five Finger Death Punch) cuz for whatever reason that song flips the switch for me. Hoss told me before I went to squat as soon as the bar unracks. I was trying to stand up with the weight and wait until the whip stopped. He said just go and the whip will correct itself. He was right, I started my descent as soon as the hooks went. The whip settled till I got in the hole, then it started back up and was throwing me side to side. I could hear nutter yelling up at me but it didn't quite feel deep enough. After he yelled up about for times I came back up with it. Came out the hole good, slowed up a little in the middle, but finished strong.

I am pretty messed up in the way that, things don't hit me when they happen. Its usually like a week or two later I'm like holy shit! Only a few people know how truly important that was to me and they were freaking out! But me I was just kinda numb to it at the time, that's annoying as shit. Even now as I am writing this I am getting all jacked up and emotional. Like when I got married, the whole day I was like meh, as emotionally shook as when I decide what to wear. But weeks later it came flooding on hard. After I hit the squat I was able to enjoy the weekend, eat, and socialize like a normal person haha. Anxiety is a bitch! Kathy and Bobby fields put on a great deadlift exhibition after that. It seemed like time flew after that. The expo was done at four, I hit up some dinner with my wife, the Nutters, Bubbles, and Jen. I shared a flight with the Gillingham brothers. Very awesome guys! As soon as I saw them though I got immediately pissed. I was like there is no way I am gonna get stuck sitting next to one of those yetis. Luckily I didn't.

The Arnold Classic Expo and the Animal Cage was one of the best experiences of my life. It was a real dream come true!

Thank you: My sponsors Animal, EliteFTS, and SouthSide Bully

My wife, Scott and Rachel Nutter, Bubbles, Jen Z, Derek Wade,Frankie, Matt Goodwin, Steve Colescott, Adam Harchetts, Eric Schwartz, Tom Kemper, Ed May, Hoss, Luyando, my entire Animal Family, P-Town, Dakota Barbell, and everyone who told me I couldn't. All of you had a direct effect on this past weekend and helping live a dream I've had for many years.

freighttraindane
03-08-13, 2:52 pm
Great write up Marshall and it was a real pleasure to meet you and your wife. thanks for putting on such a great show and taking the time to talk with me throughout the weekend!

Aggression
03-08-13, 2:59 pm
Awesome. It was a pleasure meeting you, my man.

Firefist
03-08-13, 3:24 pm
Fuckin right man. Great meeting you and cant wait to see what you do in your future.

Phil800101
03-08-13, 3:31 pm
Great meeting you Marshall! Squats were sick on Sunday, I think ejecting a piercing (twice) is even more hardcore than a nosebleed, ha ha.

smoothballer
03-08-13, 3:36 pm
Awesome to meet you in person. Your "Fuck Can't" has definitely been sticking with me as I hit the iron and conquer the mental aspect of this game.

GUNS
03-08-13, 4:33 pm
Great weekend for sure, and as I already said, congrats on reaching 2 of your goals in 1 weekend!

Freakshowelite
03-10-13, 7:32 pm
Great write up Marshall and it was a real pleasure to meet you and your wife. thanks for putting on such a great show and taking the time to talk with me throughout the weekend!

Thank you so much for the support dane, I had a blast! It was great getting to meet you, and why wouldnt I talk to you, we are both men, we both lift weights, looks like a fit to me! Keep killing it in the gym buddy!

Freakshowelite
03-10-13, 7:33 pm
Awesome. It was a pleasure meeting you, my man.

It was so great meeting you as well, thank you so much for giving me the opportunity to live my dreams!

Freakshowelite
03-10-13, 7:34 pm
Fuckin right man. Great meeting you and cant wait to see what you do in your future.

it was great meeting you too buddy, good luck to you in the future when picking out shirts, quit getting those tight shmediums already haha

Freakshowelite
03-10-13, 7:35 pm
Great meeting you Marshall! Squats were sick on Sunday, I think ejecting a piercing (twice) is even more hardcore than a nosebleed, ha ha.

I know right! No i had one of those crescents in, shaped like a half moon, so there was nothing really holding it in, i couldnt find my horeshoe so I had to wear that. Thank you for the support!

Freakshowelite
03-10-13, 7:39 pm
Awesome to meet you in person. Your "Fuck Can't" has definitely been sticking with me as I hit the iron and conquer the mental aspect of this game.

It was great meeting you as well, I have that quote written on just about everything, good luck to you!

Freakshowelite
03-10-13, 7:39 pm
Great weekend for sure, and as I already said, congrats on reaching 2 of your goals in 1 weekend!

Thank you so much, it was great meeting you and your family!

Universal Rep
03-12-13, 3:20 pm
Great, great episode. Where is two?

Freakshowelite
03-14-13, 1:37 pm
Great, great episode. Where is two?

working on it right now