PDA

View Full Version : Cage 2013 - Ragin Asian

Ragin Asian
03-09-13, 12:59 am
My Cage experience - I don't know where to start. Every year it has been great and I have always enjoyed every piece of it. I remember our first Cage lift - we were asked to step in by a very good friend who is and always will be our family. I don't know if any of you may remember him, but his name is John Bernor. He couldn't go to the Cage that year because of family issues and we stepped in his spot hoping to put on a good show. This was back when our benching was in it's prime. We gladly stepped in and were introduced to Animal. Ever since then, Animal has been our addiction. LOL!!!!

Here are old pics of our benching back then:

http://fieldsofpower.com/images/600_bob1.jpg

http://fieldsofpower.com/images/600_kat1.jpg

BTW, that was Eric Downey (EZ) handing off to us. That was our first Cage experience. We will never forget that.

Since then, Animal has been so kind to us in allowing us back to do what we love.

Bobby went on to do a double with 800 in the cage with Sam Byrd handing off to him - did the weight touch? Not until the 2nd rep. But who the fuck cares. He doubled it weighing 225 in a shirt that used to be Gene Rychlak's old training shirt that I had to tighten up for him just to do the lift. Back then, an 800lbs bench clean was record lift. So I was very proud of him for even attemtping this in the first place.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XaBD7Ntlis

He also squatted and pulled that weekend with everyone. He has done so every Animal Cage since then - with everyone we had the awesome opportunity to hook up with. We couldn't have asked for better vacations to tell you the truth. Ones we will always remember and always cherish. While most folks would rather take vacations in the Bahamas, Costa Rica, and Disney World - our vacations are going to the Arnold to be with all of you. Lifting with our brethren and sisters. That's all we know, that's all we care to remember.

Just wanting to put out there a little reminder of our meager beginnings. We're not done. We may be getting older, but we're far from done. I so wished to be able to see Sgt Rock out there - he is also another veteran who I can relate to.

Bobby is a workhorse - he's like a clydesdale that doesn't know when to quit. That's where he is my rock. I have been in remission from ovarian cancer and I have been in treatment for the past 4 years for PKD type II. Luke Edwards helped me a lot in getting through initial treatments for my condition, he's a great source of passion by the way, such a nice guy and great lifter. My treatments have suppressed the progression of my condition so that I can still lift and somewhat lead a normal life. I still get kidney stones and kidney infections, but at least my kidneys have not grown much more and the cyst growth has been suppressed enough so that I can lift. It didn't help that I tore my shoulder tendons off while benching, but that's not going to stop me from hitting records in the DL.

I know Bobby got on the mic to tell everyone about my kidney condition. I had no idea he would do that. I felt almost ashamed when he did that because I was trying to pull big for my sisters. This event was for him and his brethren. I know I was a side show and I was happy with that. I wanted to give my all and whatever came of it, so be it. I was so heartbroken I didn't pull as big as I wanted for my gals. I know I have it in me, but I didn't need the pity part of it. So glad it was looked over by folks because guaranteed - they have their own lives and stories as well.

I don't know if anyone got video of my pulling - it would be greatly appreciated if someone is willing to share it. I learned that I need to beat out the whip in that bar. I have trained and competed with Texas bars before, but this bar had way more whip than what I'm accustomed to. Even though I only had a few weeks of training for the Cage, I would like to get to know my opponent. I'll train the heck out of my erectors and hammies if need be, but that bar was so different. It was great that it was thinner than what I train with, that's why the weight didn't feel heavy - but for some damned reason it kept getting stuck at my knees. From what I gather, it got stuck there for others as well when they went heavy. That just means we need to be reacquainted with that bar one way or another. :) :) :) No excuses - have to beat any barriers!!!

Ok - now that I put out the athlete perspective - now I want to thank all of the folks who were there. I just want you guys to know, that throughout the years, I have always enjoyed meeting every one of you and even though I'm bad with names (you guys know I'm bad with that), I remember faces better and you have to know that my eyes light up whenever I see your faces. After all these years, you know my love when I squeeze you with my hugs. I know it sounds weird but I lost a good part of my hearing when I was a UH60 pilot, so I have a tendency to work off of faces (eyes mainly) and how you greet me with hugs. I didn't want to insult our brethren with their seminars and really tried so hard to hear them - but I'm at a disadvantage with that and never wanted them to think I was ignoring them. I agree with all of you - the cardio bunny should have been "kick kick - booted off". LOL!!! ;)

I can't even list all the names on here of those I love so much for being there, but I'll try to start and hopefully the rest will chime in for me - Dave Barth (THE EXTREME), Big Al (first one at the airport), Eric (NG), Alex (Juggernaut [big hugs]), J-Dawg (stop hiding on me!), Aggression (still mad at me for your first hoodie going missing? lol!!!), P Diesel - aka Iggy T, aka Menonite Powerbitch, aka Dutch Superman wannabe Scotch-Irish Super BJ...hey, that's how I heard it. Can't help that part. All I know is even though his family was like Irish on the boat to the land of the free, my family on my father's side was already here fighting the fight. Gillespie's are Scotch-Irish and we already have our tartars. My father asked why I wasn't doing highland games already and I tried to tell him it's not female friendly. Looks like we're going to have to change some things. This is the neat thing about originating from several different cultures and keeping track of it.

Just so you know, I love P Diesel - he's good people and so genuine hearted. He knows pain in ways most folks have no clue. That's why we get along so well together. That's why MOST of us get along so well. True warriors are not those who just look for the next best opportunity. Do we look for opportunities to shine? YES. But we don't look for one's that make use shine. We look for those to opportunities that will get us closer to our brethren and ones that will help us learn more in our game. True warriors don't give up. True warriors don't quit. If anyone who has read Sun Tzu - they would understand the compassion I speak about.

Ragin Asian
03-09-13, 1:20 am
Also to add about having read Sun Tzu - in case anyone in corporate was interested or curious about my mentioning it - my mother is half Korean and half Japanese. I was born in 1972. Sun Bin's treatise was discovered in 1972.

deanna7272
03-09-13, 1:31 am
I have the video Kathy... I will upload it and post it tomorrow...

You are an inspiration and I am so glad that I got to see you last weekend. You know from your thread how I feel about ya and the whole experience in The Cage and I just want you to know... You will always have me in your corner, because I know that you'll always be there when I need help, need a kick in the pants, and/or just need some girl time!!

Won't ramble on, or take up too much space, all I really want to say is.... Thank you...

Ragin Asian
03-09-13, 1:38 am
I have the video Kathy... I will upload it and post it tomorrow...

You are an inspiration and I am so glad that I got to see you last weekend. You know from your thread how I feel about ya and the whole experience in The Cage and I just want you to know... You will always have me in your corner, because I know that you'll always be there when I need help, need a kick in the pants, and/or just need some girl time!!

Won't ramble on, or take up too much space, all I really want to say is.... Thank you...

Deanna - you're never ever taking up any space. If anything, you need to take up more space on some of these guy's journals. Seriously...you're lifting far more than they are are and they can't make up their freakin minds whether they want to be bodybuilders, powerlifters, or strongmen. OMG!@!! I know they want to be strong - but WTF?!?!?! Stop confusing me! i want to help them so bad - you and I both know so many good boys to help them. I just want them to make up their damned minds. LOL!@!!!@!!

Firefist
03-09-13, 2:01 am
Yo Yo! Very good to meet ya last weekend! Your drive and passion for this lifestyle is among the unrivaled, thats for sure! Never stop, and I cant wait to see yall again soon!

Ragin Asian
03-09-13, 2:10 am
Another thing I was trying to point out to our powerlifting brethen was the video link I posted from way back. If you look at that last part where Bobby is doing the 800x2, who do you see in the last few seconds????? He is one of our lost brethren. That was one of the reasons why i posted it. We're all tied together.

Ragin Asian
03-09-13, 2:26 am
Yo Yo! Very good to meet ya last weekend! Your drive and passion for this lifestyle is among the unrivaled, thats for sure! Never stop, and I cant wait to see yall again soon!

Thank you for holding me back. LOL!!! It was so nice to have met you and get a chance to be with you. Trust me, my hubby - Powerswitch has a switch that can be flipped - but nothing compared to my emotions. Powerswitch protects me from many things and he keeps me safe. But when it comes to things I have had issues dealing with like lost brethen - that's a whole different issue altogether.

smoothballer
03-09-13, 10:15 am
Kathy it was so great to talk to you all weekend. I have a new outlook and plan to train with my injuries and progress will be made and new heights will be reached. You and bobby are amazing people.

Ragin Asian
03-09-13, 12:40 pm
Kathy it was so great to talk to you all weekend. I have a new outlook and plan to train with my injuries and progress will be made and new heights will be reached. You and bobby are amazing people.

You are an amazing person yourself - don't ever sell yourself short! Training around injuries are a bitch, but not impossible. You're such an intelligent guy and have so much strength inside, I know for a fact you'll progress and surprise yourself. I'm so glad we got to hang out and chat during the weekend. I have your journal subbed so I can keep track and stay in touch with you. ;)

I also wanted to mention meeting Marshall Johnson for the first time (Freakshowelite). Such an awesome person all around and a great lifter! He set his goal to squat a grand in the Cage and BOY did he do it and then some!!!! Marshall's wife, Kathy (awesome name by the way - LOL!!), is an angel!!! A very strong one at that, might I say! It was so great to meet you, spend time with you, train with you, and laugh it up with you guys!!! So wonderful to see the Nutters again - OMG! We have missed them so much! Why the fuck do we all live so far apart?!?!

Bobby and I WILL be doing Relentless 2014. Already pitched in for this one and will continue to do so whenever we can. Spreading the word and trying to get folks to open their eyes. I talk about warriors this and warriors that - but the true warriors are those wonderful children. I know we discussed this before at dinner and it was such a stab in the gut to hear about other meet directors getting pissy that big world record lifters were choosing to do Relentless over their meets. WTF?!?!?!
The cool thing about the Animal Cage is that it's a great primer event for it. Who knows, maybe more big lifters will do the Animal Cage AND do Relentless in years to come! :) :) :)

Animal has been doing such a great job finding the right folks to bring in and share the love with the rest of the Animal family. I know they keep saying that they don't always get it right, but fuck they've been getting it right from what I can see! You're gonna have bad apples once in awhile - but this Cage there were none. Everyone was so great and so golden hearted - I am anxious to see what happens next year!!! The Animal legion busted their asses!!!

I also want to give a huge shout out to Sam! She's so cool and worked so hard. It was so nice to finally meet you!!! I wish we can get a chance to spend more time together. You're not far from where we live and so it shouldn't be too hard to make visits to the headquarters. ;)

Phil800101
03-09-13, 2:02 pm
Always great to see you and Bobby, Kathy! Besides being all-around great people, you two always put on sick demos at The Cage.

I still remember being blown away way the hell back in 2007 (at least I think it was 2007) when you both put up some sick numbers while benching on Saturday. I see that was my video from 2009 you posted there too, cool!

Ragin Asian
03-09-13, 3:08 pm
Always great to see you and Bobby, Kathy! Besides being all-around great people, you two always put on sick demos at The Cage.

I still remember being blown away way the hell back in 2007 (at least I think it was 2007) when you both put up some sick numbers while benching on Saturday. I see that was my video from 2009 you posted there too, cool!

Yes it was. Many thanks to you for sharing that. I usually do the vids but it was so nice that you happen to have taken it. I hope I didn't offend in posting it up here and sharing.

We're planning on hitting bigger numbers to prove to the Animal Family that there is life even after 40. Higa is already doing that and many other loyal Animals. For Christ's Sake - even Vinny got on the mic and he's still trucking doing so well - did anyone notice how he holds his mass so well and still able to cut while he sports Animal??? I felt bad for him fighting back the fight for food, yet he stayed tried and true. Loads of respect for him and the rest of the Animal family for doing what they do best!

Phil800101
03-09-13, 3:27 pm
Yes it was. Many thanks to you for sharing that. I usually do the vids but it was so nice that you happen to have taken it. I hope I didn't offend in posting it up here and sharing.

We're planning on hitting bigger numbers to prove to the Animal Family that there is life even after 40. Higa is already doing that and many other loyal Animals. For Christ's Sake - even Vinny got on the mic and he's still trucking doing so well - did anyone notice how he holds his mass so well and still able to cut while he sports Animal??? I felt bad for him fighting back the fight for food, yet he stayed tried and true. Loads of respect for him and the rest of the Animal family for doing what they do best!

Oh not at all, I'm honored!

Hell yeah! Most definitely, that is some inspiring stuff all around.

smoothballer
03-09-13, 5:48 pm
You are an amazing person yourself - don't ever sell yourself short! Training around injuries are a bitch, but not impossible. You're such an intelligent guy and have so much strength inside, I know for a fact you'll progress and surprise yourself. I'm so glad we got to hang out and chat during the weekend. I have your journal subbed so I can keep track and stay in touch with you. ;)

I also wanted to mention meeting Marshall Johnson for the first time (Freakshowelite). Such an awesome person all around and a great lifter! He set his goal to squat a grand in the Cage and BOY did he do it and then some!!!! Marshall's wife, Kathy (awesome name by the way - LOL!!), is an angel!!! A very strong one at that, might I say! It was so great to meet you, spend time with you, train with you, and laugh it up with you guys!!! So wonderful to see the Nutters again - OMG! We have missed them so much! Why the fuck do we all live so far apart?!?!

Bobby and I WILL be doing Relentless 2014. Already pitched in for this one and will continue to do so whenever we can. Spreading the word and trying to get folks to open their eyes. I talk about warriors this and warriors that - but the true warriors are those wonderful children. I know we discussed this before at dinner and it was such a stab in the gut to hear about other meet directors getting pissy that big world record lifters were choosing to do Relentless over their meets. WTF?!?!?!
The cool thing about the Animal Cage is that it's a great primer event for it. Who knows, maybe more big lifters will do the Animal Cage AND do Relentless in years to come! :) :) :)

Animal has been doing such a great job finding the right folks to bring in and share the love with the rest of the Animal family. I know they keep saying that they don't always get it right, but fuck they've been getting it right from what I can see! You're gonna have bad apples once in awhile - but this Cage there were none. Everyone was so great and so golden hearted - I am anxious to see what happens next year!!! The Animal legion busted their asses!!!

I also want to give a huge shout out to Sam! She's so cool and worked so hard. It was so nice to finally meet you!!! I wish we can get a chance to spend more time together. You're not far from where we live and so it shouldn't be too hard to make visits to the headquarters. ;)

Thanks for the kind words Kathy. I know the mental aspect of this game has held me back in the past but I am much more aware of my body during the lifts instead of just slinging the weight around. I always come back from the Arnold with motivation but I came back with so much more. I watched every lift and paid a lot of detail to the pure focus that was used to accomplish the lifts and I know they use that on every rep no matter what the weight.

Marshall is an amazing person. I have been following him for awhile and so excited for him to reach one of his goals by being sponsored by Animal and lifting in the Cage. Relentless is a great cause and screw the people that talk it down to promote other meets.

Kowboy
03-11-13, 11:57 am
I wasn't around as much for hte cage this year as in the past but I did get to see your lifts. Truly amazing and certainly helps me push forward with my goals. I didn't get to chat w/ ya a whole lot this past year but I promise to make up for it next year. Hell Shukin and I were talking about coming up to your gym this summer. Who knows right! Either way keep fighting, I know your goal and I know you WILL hit it.