PDA

View Full Version : Deadlift form critique!

LoneWolf45
03-09-13, 4:41 pm
I am currently stuck at a 435 deadlift.
this is a vid of 315 for 2 reps.
i weighed 176lbs before this.
any form tips would be great! thanks!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjaxp3ytNsI

Lifting_Is_Life
03-09-13, 6:38 pm

Why do you feel your form is so bad? It actually looks good to me though I'm sure if someone picks up on something they will let ya know. Just because you are stuck at a weight doesn't mean it's your form though. Have you ever switched up once a month or something and pulled conventional? Deficits? Rack Pulls? Where do you feel is your weak point in the lift, off the floor, middle or the lock out once you get up to near max weight?

TheJuggernautBitch
03-09-13, 8:32 pm
i can't find anything to pick apart. it looks good!

Lunchead
03-10-13, 3:58 am

post a heavier pull, this is way too light to pick apart lol

ghost
03-10-13, 10:57 am
Watch how you are pulling your hips back on the 2nd rep, just before the actual lift...causes more back strain

Other than that looks good

pushin weight
03-10-13, 3:24 pm
Grab a vid of yourself pullin 405 x 2 and that will let everyone see where the form breaks first.As for the number you are stuck at just keep increasing reps with the heaviest weight you can get. Unfortunately as we train we reach our natural load barrier and after that its just little increments at a time . I suggest setting an immediate goal of 450 and working to that.Once your there set a new reasonable goal and yada yada. Deficit stiff leg deads and pulling sumo have helped increase my capacity for pullin.

TigerAce01
03-10-13, 4:26 pm
Agreed with most posts on here...either do more reps or more weight. We're not seeing any fatigue, therefore no form breakdown. Your form can look spectacular at 60%, but it can look like absolute shit at 85%.

-Ace

korn_fed
03-10-13, 8:58 pm
Form looks pretty flawless, my only comment would be that you don't have to hyper extend so much at the top, only extend to the point where your hips lock out, not necessarily your lower back. And make sure you drive through your heels, but it looks like you had that pretty on point in the vid

LoneWolf45
03-11-13, 1:07 pm
post a heavier pull, this is way too light to pick apart lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8tI3JZdNdg

here is a vid that same day pulling 425

LoneWolf45
03-11-13, 1:10 pm
Why do you feel your form is so bad? It actually looks good to me though I'm sure if someone picks up on something they will let ya know. Just because you are stuck at a weight doesn't mean it's your form though. Have you ever switched up once a month or something and pulled conventional? Deficits? Rack Pulls? Where do you feel is your weak point in the lift, off the floor, middle or the lock out once you get up to near max weight?

yes, i see what you are saying, i am going to incorporate rack pulls from the sumo stance, but would i benefit from training conventional? My max conventional is not as strong as my wide stance.

Lifting_Is_Life
03-11-13, 6:38 pm
yes, i see what you are saying, i am going to incorporate rack pulls from the sumo stance, but would i benefit from training conventional? My max conventional is not as strong as my wide stance.

Training in conventional can help you with the explosiveness you have off the bottom, also it's very hard to do Deficit's sumo unless you want to use up a ton of blocks. So doing deficit's conventional stance will be a major bonus in your sumo pulling power. And for your new video at 425, it was still solid form for sure man. Just keep hammering at it, eat big and you'll see it begin to go up! Also, you may be coming to a halt in your ability to make big jumps. Try only adding increments of 5 to 10 lbs for new PR's. It will eventually add up and see some big results.

TigerAce01
03-11-13, 9:32 pm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8tI3JZdNdg

here is a vid that same day pulling 425

The only tip I have is to work on strengthening your upper back, but this is not a technique issue, merely a weak point I noticed. Your mid back seems to be a tad weaker than your lower back.

Your technique looks wonderful, and your weight makes it very easy to keep the bar close...use that to your advantage as much as possible. Excellent job brother, sumo is tough to get right!!!

-Ace

TigerAce01
03-11-13, 9:35 pm
Training in conventional can help you with the explosiveness you have off the bottom, also it's very hard to do Deficit's sumo unless you want to use up a ton of blocks. So doing deficit's conventional stance will be a major bonus in your sumo pulling power. And for your new video at 425, it was still solid form for sure man. Just keep hammering at it, eat big and you'll see it begin to go up! Also, you may be coming to a halt in your ability to make big jumps. Try only adding increments of 5 to 10 lbs for new PR's. It will eventually add up and see some big results.

I don't feel using rack pulls is an optimal way to build the deadlift. Even in gear I feel the carryover is minimal.

Try using conventional stance (as mentioned here) deficit pulls. Start standing on a 45lb plate then work up to a 100lb plate.

For an even greater challenge, try a snatch grip deficit pull. This will also work your upper back to an extreme amount.

OP, what program exactly are you using?

-Ace

LoneWolf45
03-11-13, 9:44 pm
I don't feel using rack pulls is an optimal way to build the deadlift. Even in gear I feel the carryover is minimal.

Try using conventional stance (as mentioned here) deficit pulls. Start standing on a 45lb plate then work up to a 100lb plate.

For an even greater challenge, try a snatch grip deficit pull. This will also work your upper back to an extreme amount.

OP, what program exactly are you using?

-Ace

ok thanks! I am taking note on all these extra movements to strengthen the deadlift, i have seen the snatch grip but never tried it, i will try that for training.

JHOORNSTRA
03-11-13, 9:56 pm
Looked good, no critique from me...make sure form doesn't change once you go heavier because it looked good.

J-HO