PDA

View Full Version : Diet or not to make weight as a powerlifter?

Chris_Heard
03-10-13, 3:03 pm
I am training to be a powerlifter and possibly bodybuild and I currently weigh 240lbs so my question is.... After my 12week bulking cycle should I diet down to 210lbs-220lbs? Or should I stick to bulking after my 12 weeks? I'm training to compete in early 2013 in powerlifting and possibly bodybuilding the same year! Any advice?

ajoaks
03-11-13, 4:14 pm
I am training to be a powerlifter and possibly bodybuild and I currently weigh 240lbs so my question is.... After my 12week bulking cycle should I diet down to 210lbs-220lbs? Or should I stick to bulking after my 12 weeks? I'm training to compete in early 2013 in powerlifting and possibly bodybuilding the same year! Any advice?

You should do what you think is best. You say you are 240, but we can't tell what you look like. I'd say if you feel like you have gained to much fat then yeah I would start cutting down a little if you hit plateaus in strength gains. If your consistently gaining strength and want to be a powerlifter I wouldn't do anything to stop your strength gains.

Chris_Heard
03-11-13, 4:29 pm
I'm at about 18% body fat but I have lost 4% since I started my journey but have stayed the same weight. I know I can't have body together but I think I'm going to Stick to bulking through the bodybuilding season and get my strength where it needs to be before I worry about how I look for now! Thanks for the advice brother!

Aggression
03-11-13, 5:04 pm

Depends on your goals. If you're training to compete in PL soon, I wouldn't worry about slimming down. For a PL meet, you want to be as strong as you can be. Therefore, you shouldn't be sacrificing calories for the sake of looking leaner. Hit your PL meet in full stride, big, full, and strong. Once finished, switch it up and head into BB'ing and start leaning out. Eat/train for the goal at hand.

Chris_Heard
03-11-13, 5:22 pm
I just committed to a pl meet at the end of June so I going to hit it hard for that meet and then make a decision on weather to continue bulking or to slim down. All depends on how I do at the meet

ajoaks
03-11-13, 8:39 pm
I'm at about 18% body fat but I have lost 4% since I started my journey but have stayed the same weight. I know I can't have body together but I think I'm going to Stick to bulking through the bodybuilding season and get my strength where it needs to be before I worry about how I look for now! Thanks for the advice brother!

yes sir. I just had experience with that too. I don't powerlift but I was on more of a bulking phase, not pigging out or eating everything in sight, but just eating when hungry and training hard. My strength was increasing great but after about 4 months of it my strength plateaued off and I decided to lean down a little before I shoot for another strength gaining phase. But like Ag said, eat for what your training for at the time. Good luck Bro!

Chris_Heard
03-11-13, 9:27 pm
yes sir. I just had experience with that too. I don't powerlift but I was on more of a bulking phase, not pigging out or eating everything in sight, but just eating when hungry and training hard. My strength was increasing great but after about 4 months of it my strength plateaued off and I decided to lean down a little before I shoot for another strength gaining phase. But like Ag said, eat for what your training for at the time. Good luck Bro!

Yea i am going to continue to eat my 4500-5000 cals a day and working out hard as hell! i have several goals i want to hit before this meet comes up!

rhd9132
03-11-13, 9:37 pm
Yea i am going to continue to eat my 4500-5000 cals a day and working out hard as hell! i have several goals i want to hit before this meet comes up!

What are your goals? what meet did you commit to?

The replies to your questions offer solid advice.

Chris_Heard
03-11-13, 9:49 pm
What are your goals? what meet did you commit to?

The replies to your questions offer solid advice.

my goals are to be a real competitor in pl meet. and Im not 100% sure of the meet i was asked to today by the guy im training with if i would like to do it to get one under my belt

GUNS
03-11-13, 10:03 pm
Chris, you know what I said the other day in the gym! I feel like it is your first meet. Keep doing what your doing and just go in and get the experience! Thats what Im doing as well. Im all in to help you, John and the boys in the gym can help you as well. I say stay like you are!

Chris_Heard
03-11-13, 10:14 pm
Chris, you know what I said the other day in the gym! I feel like it is your first meet. Keep doing what your doing and just go in and get the experience! Thats what Im doing as well. Im all in to help you, John and the boys in the gym can help you as well. I say stay like you are!

Yea i am. I started back in the gym in november of last year to lose weight but now I just saying screw the weight and be strong as an ox!