PDA

View Full Version : Lift-Off Guy/Spotter

JHOORNSTRA
03-11-13, 9:47 pm
Does anyone else have a hell of a time finding someone dependable to make it more than once or twice a week? I'm lifting solo more times than not. In college, I had about 5 workout partners which meant about 2 at most showed...now I have 1, and syncing up with our work, etc. I can't do chest really alone, I need a liftoff guy...sucks...not motivating, especially when I take my animal rage, get ready and he can't make it....damn it...someone come lift off for me...
ok, vent is done.

JHO

BigChrisF
03-11-13, 11:26 pm
I hear ya. Finding and keeping competent and consistent spotters has been a real problem for myself as well.

Saeger
03-12-13, 7:50 am
I'm kind of in the same boat. I haven't had a spotter since high school, however things are headed in the right direction. I am able to accomplish what I want on my own. PR's are falling with or without the spotter, either way the walls are coming down.

Aggression
03-12-13, 8:56 am
Felt. I hit up 2 gyms and it all depends on what I'm doing that day. If I'm doing something that doesn't warrant any real spotting, I'll hit the place closer to home. If I need a REAL spot, then I'll hit the gym a bit farther away so that I have a dependable spot in C.Coronato.

smoothballer
03-12-13, 9:06 am
Anyone that lifts solo suffers from this. There are only a few guys I trust to spot me at my gym which sucks because I cannot get a regular setup but I would rather unrack it myself and have someone juyst watch than have someone that doesn't know how to lift off or grabs the bar too early just because it is moving slow going up. That is the hard part motherfucker, don't touch the bar.

Aggression
03-12-13, 9:20 am
http://youtu.be/cvH4gYPv_YY

freighttraindane
03-12-13, 9:27 am
Hahahahah that's awesome

Yeah I train by myself almost all of the time too. People at my gym don't even bother spotting others. I have to go get a worker to spot me most of the time. But i have gotten used to it and don't require a spot that often.

Saeger
03-12-13, 9:45 am
LOL, funny shit.

Lifting_Is_Life
03-12-13, 2:45 pm

Hahahahahaha how can someone not love Dom

TheJuggernautBitch
03-12-13, 7:48 pm

that high five is whats up.

JacknCoke
03-13-13, 4:10 pm
If having deep "V" bench stands is the reason why you need a lift off maybe putting a couple of folded up towels there can solve that.

JHOORNSTRA
03-15-13, 10:29 am
Yeah, it sucks, the hard part is I need one especially getting close to a show, working on start command, pause, etc and if I have something over 650ish it is usually at least a double so I'd be spent almost after unracking...it is what it is...I'll take what I can get but then I see other gyms with like 8 guys all powerlifting together...I'd be f'n huge...haha

JHOORNSTRA
03-15-13, 10:29 am
If having deep "V" bench stands is the reason why you need a lift off maybe putting a couple of folded up towels there can solve that.

Do what?

Universal Rep
03-15-13, 10:34 am
Yeah, it sucks, the hard part is I need one especially getting close to a show, working on start command, pause, etc and if I have something over 650ish it is usually at least a double so I'd be spent almost after unracking...it is what it is...I'll take what I can get but then I see other gyms with like 8 guys all powerlifting together...I'd be f'n huge...haha

The lift off guy is crucial from wut I understand... Like in other sports, the relationship is critical. So how are ya gonna find this guy?

JHOORNSTRA
03-15-13, 10:39 am
The lift off guy is crucial from wut I understand... Like in other sports, the relationship is critical. So how are ya gonna find this guy?

I had one forever that was a pro strongman man but he fell off the grid all of a sudden...so now I have a guy I trust but works nights and syncing our schedules is difficult since I work 24 hour shifts...we make it happen most times though...country strong guy...like Honkey Kong

Animal
03-15-13, 12:08 pm
GUNZ504's take on this topic:

"My training partner Jared is the only person that has ever lifted me off. This relationship is important and we have a very special bond. This dude believes in me more than anyone in the world."

http://animalpak.com/html/article_details.cfm?ID=639

GUNZ
03-15-13, 10:43 pm
GUNZ504's take on this topic:

"My training partner Jared is the only person that has ever lifted me off. This relationship is important and we have a very special bond. This dude believes in me more than anyone in the world."

http://animalpak.com/html/article_details.cfm?ID=639

Yea im really lucky to have Jared, dude is their like a champ every week when I bench!! I know it has to be nerve racking for Jeremy to get some random guy to lift him off with say 650!! One false move and shit can get bad, but im sure Jeremy know how to handle this. And it def sucks, lol.

JHOORNSTRA
03-17-13, 6:57 pm
Yea im really lucky to have Jared, dude is their like a champ every week when I bench!! I know it has to be nerve racking for Jeremy to get some random guy to lift him off with say 650!! One false move and shit can get bad, but im sure Jeremy know how to handle this. And it def sucks, lol.

It does, like I said theres only like 2 I trust, one really now so trying to get there when he can sucks because he has his life and can't get upset if someone doesn't have the same discipline or will to get to the gym. To each their own...just look at the gyms full of powerlifters and wonder...damn...if I had that 5 years ago...shit, if I had a powerlifting friendly gym five years ago...not a fitness center, trying to find the 45's because cross fitters took them outside to do snatches...